The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2004, 12:53 PM   #1
symestreem
Face in the Water

symestreem has just left Hobbiton.
Any chance of getting the Language Forum back?

The Language Forum was here when I was Willow, but in the intervening months it vanished. Was this due to lack of interest? Judging from the number of posts to be found in Novices and Newcomers and the Books about how to speak and write elvish, there are people who like this topic. Is there any chance of getting another Language Forum, or is that not a good idea?
symestreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #2
Ithaeliel
Cornus Caliga

Location: Five-hundred-twenty-five thousand, six hundred minutes from here
Ithaeliel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ithaeliel
Silmaril

I think the reason it's gone is because it was underused. The language forum was there, but hardly anyone used it, instead posting their "how do you say this in Elvish?" topics in such forums as N&N and Books. I guess there were so many misplaced topics that the Languages forum became obsolete and BW said, "to heck with it," and got rid of it. Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I believe that's what happened. As for the idea of getting a new one, I really don't know how the members would respond to that.
Ithaeliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #3
Galadrie1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Galadrie1 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The Language Forum was closed quite a few months ago. I highly doubt that it will ever be re-opened; a few of us tried very hard to keep it open in the first place, but it still got deleted.
"For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy. But this, if you will, is the magic of Galadriel."
Galadrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 06:30 AM   #4
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
1. It didn't get deleted, it got merged.

2. Like I said before, and I won't hesitate to quote myself:

"I don't see why it should be impossible for our members to incorporate the Languages forum into Books. The close correlation of language and literature is what mediaeval lit., and incidentally, Tolkien, is all about after all. This does not even mean that language topics need to have any special relevance for a literature discussion. However, if it forces language topics to adopt the same standard as the Books forum is intented to have, I cannot see how people willing to discuss the Languages would not benefit from it." (see here for the earlier discussion: http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthr...1&page=1&pp=40 )
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote