The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Kili the Romantic

Say it aint so Joe!

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2012...12-future-100/

I hope this is just non-spoiler spoiler where there's like a 3-second scene of Kili's infatuation with Tauriel and we then just move on to better things...but somehow with The Hobbit I'm always feeling the worst. I'm even imagining bearded jokes galore and the dwarves getting imprisoned because Kili is schmoozing on the pretty-elf warrior lady of Thranduil's court. Forbidden romance subplot for the win! *headdesk*
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
As long as it's Kili, not Fili...

This is blasphemy though. Come on, we already had Gimli pining for Galadriel (which is all fine and canonical). Do they think every decent dwarf needs an elf to lust after? Eww.

My inner khazad disapproves.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
This is blasphemy though. Come on, we already had Gimli pining for Galadriel (which is all fine and canonical). Do they think every decent dwarf needs an elf to lust after? Eww.
I think this is where my cynicism about The Hobbit is coming from...we just get a rehashing of certain plot points for the sake of nostalgia...and it's really annoying. Kili supposedly an infatuation with Tauriel. I can only assume Legolas is in the film so he can be at the Battle of Five Armies to give us some more shield-sliding CGI spinning tricks, and obviously lines like "Goblins!" "He's here!"

I really hope I'm wrong, but I'm also not very hopeful. Granted my reading of The Hobbit is biased by the fact I read it after LOTR, and thus have never seen it as a "prequel" to LOTR, but as a separate, precise story in a large and expansive universe. But, I'm really worried by PJ et all, seemingly wanting to recycle LOTR storylines, only using different characters.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The really sad bit is that the whole thing is plausible.

Hey PJ: that's why hardcore Tolkien fans have been so critical of your movies. Not that you're much fussed about it, naturally.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
The most fascinating piece of information in that 'spoiler' is that Tauriel is apparently 20 feet tall, revealing her maternal descent from the Misty Mountain giants.

Also:
Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You know what I like about this? What I really really like about this? What made me proud and happy like saying "I told you so" makes you feel?

I like that most of the comments on the bottom are against this romance!

PS: They would choose Kili. He's the Elf that's called a Dwarf.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
The really sad bit is that the whole thing is plausible.

Hey PJ: that's why hardcore Tolkien fans have been so critical of your movies. Not that you're much fussed about it, naturally.
Especially since I haven't seen any casting for Galion... and the progress reports have the dwarfs in open barrels not packed in as in the books..which rather suggests that the escape from the king's palace is not going to be as in the books.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Fill the canon cannon with offal, and fire the fodder in one farcical fusillade of flippant flummery. Kili the elleth-killah!
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Sarumian
Wight

Sarumian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White-Hand

And then let's leave Gandalf with his fire-works back in the Shire and let the Strider lead the Company to the Loonely Montain. It's gonna be just right.
Sarumian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Good god! Do we really need romance in The Hobbit? It seems that all of the Hobbit news is about one dwarf having a romance or another elf being included for romances. Wasn't there a rumour that Bilbo is also supposed to have a love interest? Not every film needs to be filled to the brim with love and romance. I think that audiences would be perfectly fine with the book turned to film as it is, not Peter Jackson's This Movie is Kind of Like The Hobbit, But Not Really.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #11
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Wasn't there a rumour that Bilbo is also supposed to have a love interest? Not every film needs to be filled to the brim with love and romance.
Obviously it does.

This whole Tauriel thing is just silliness. I've got an idea. Tauriel should be married to Legolas, but she falls in love with the dashing Kili. They make their escape in barrels and their love is shunned in Laketown. The rest of the movie is spent following them as they look for a home.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
Obviously it does.

This whole Tauriel thing is just silliness. I've got an idea. Tauriel should be married to Legolas, but she falls in love with the dashing Kili. They make their escape in barrels and their love is shunned in Laketown. The rest of the movie is spent following them as they look for a home.
That would perhaps be better than what they will probably do to the poor book.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Shield

Quote:
Obviously it does.

No, that would make it difficult to incorporate the Tauriel-Kili-Smaug love triangle. Invent Legolas a different girlfriend.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM   #14
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Well, there is a female dwarf shortage so maybe (at least in PJ's world)
it's common for dwarves and elves to get a bit kinky. After all, after a
few centuries a "she-elf" might be interested in a romantic change.

But you're forgetting the most dramatic addition I imagine PJ and
friends would be interested in (the Stone Giants tossing around dwarves
during the storm).
Old 07-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What perhaps annoys me the most about this is that Aidan Turner is a brilliant actor and currently seen as quite cool and 'cult' in the SF geek world after his role as Mitchell in Being Human. If they have him do this kind of thing as Kili, he'll be ridiculed! Orlando Bloom has always been seen as a bit lightweight after playing Legolas in the way Jackson wrote him. Who could watch him in Pirates without thinking about Captain Obvious? I really don't want to see Aidan Turner to be viewed as some corny bit of fluff, because he's more than capable of playing dark and tormented characters.

Still, they can keep on coming with all of this nonsense and I'm always going to be excited about this film.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuor in Gondolin View Post
(the Stone Giants tossing around dwarves
during the storm).
Funny, that's just what they ended up doing.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Battle of Five Armies: Kili & Tauriel either die together, or she just fails to save him (weepy scene like Theoden's death in Eowyn's arms syle of thing). Chill dudes - its a Jackson film. If you don't want to see it I'll write you a note.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
Ulvenok
Banned

Ulvenok has just left Hobbiton.
Blockbusters need romances, don't kid yourself this is a blockbuster. It's made for the masses, that is 7-80 year olds. I bet 75% of the people watching the movie would love to switch out any canon element for something more epic. That is why Christopher Tolkien I guess after watching the hobbit movie has announced that no more movies will be made on his father's mythology.
Ulvenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulvenok View Post
Blockbusters need romances, don't kid yourself this is a blockbuster. It's made for the masses, that is 7-80 year olds. I bet 75% of the people watching the movie would love to switch out any canon element for something more epic. That is why Christopher Tolkien I guess after watching the hobbit movie has announced that no more movies will be made on his father's mythology.
Christopher Tolkien is in something like the position of the son of a legendary chef, forced to watch Papa's name slapped on a wildly successful worldwide chain of burger joints.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:26 AM   #20
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Christopher Tolkien is in something like the position of the son of a legendary chef, forced to watch Papa's name slapped on a wildly successful worldwide chain of burger joints.
Annoying for him, certainly, but no-one's being force fed the burgers. And if papa sold his right to the name being used then I don't see how you can impute any fault to the buyer for using what is their own property in whatever way they see fit.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #21
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
Annoying for him, certainly, but no-one's being force fed the burgers. And if papa sold his right to the name being used then I don't see how you can impute any fault to the buyer for using what is their own property in whatever way they see fit.
From an economic and legal perspective, you're absolutely right. As a question of taste, however, the son doesn't have to like it.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #22
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
From an economic and legal perspective, you're absolutely right. As a question of taste, however, the son doesn't have to like it.
But the existence of the films (which no one has to watch) doesn't affect the books. I might as well argue that CT shouldn't have published the early drafts of LotR as they spoil all Tolkien's efforts at creating a believable secondary world by showing us the stages in the creative process. In a real sense they 'break the spell', but nobody is forced to read them.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #23
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Given that Tauriel is the only female character in the Hobbit movies - apart from Galadriel, but you know, it seems that Gandalf has dibs on her, as Celeborn finds out in LotR "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him" - it is an obvious choice that all the other characters should fall for her. Not only a boring triangle, but rather Bilbo-Fili-Kili-Legolas-Thorin-Thranduil?-Beorn-Bard-rest-of-the-dwarves fight for the love of the elf-maiden. Actually, maybe that's what the battle of the five armies will be about, let's just forget the Arkenstone.

I guess Bard should win the fight, so PJ can repeat some Aragorn-Arwen scenes.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You mean someone will snog a horse?

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #25
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
But the existence of the films (which no one has to watch) doesn't affect the books. I might as well argue that CT shouldn't have published the early drafts of LotR as they spoil all Tolkien's efforts at creating a believable secondary world by showing us the stages in the creative process. In a real sense they 'break the spell', but nobody is forced to read them.
But having read them, people can have an opinion on them, no? The actual argument you're putting up relies too much on the hypothetical reader having a very naive concept of creativity- but if you want to, you can certainly say you found them unenlightening, uninteresting and a waste of time. Just as people who have watched a movie can have an opinion about that. (Yes, even Christopher Tolkien.)
Old 01-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #26
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I don't expect an abundance of beard jokes... the song in rivendell is rife with them and was cut.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #27
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
When Studio Executive Committees Make Movies

A Fraud at Any Price

First "Itaril" was tried. That failed.
Then "Tauriel." The thoughtful quailed
to think that simply changing names
might sell what cheapens and defames:
an elf-lord/elf-chick "romance" or
an inter-species "love," which for
the tent-pole, popcorn-munching mob
most certainly will do the job,
extracting payment, sight-unseen,
for bad-to-worse upon the screen.

Michael Murry, "The Misfortune Teller"
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #28
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomegranate View Post
Given that Tauriel is the only female character in the Hobbit movies - apart from Galadriel, but you know, it seems that Gandalf has dibs on her, as Celeborn finds out in LotR "Tell me where is Gandalf, for I much desire to speak with him" -
Okay, that gave me the best laugh I've had all day. HAR.

While I'm generally very positive about these films, this business with Tauriel does make me uneasy. PJ doesn't write that Action Girl type of character very well, if nothing else. Having a romantic angle with Kili, however, would make it much worse, as it would cheapen both Gimli's infatuation with Galadriel and his friendship with Legolas. Really, the only somewhat good way that dynamic could be played is if it's a one-off thing of Kili mooning over the pretty elf lady, with Fili and Bofur (and maybe Nori?) heckling him about it mercilessly afterward. They'd be speaking for the audience, really.

Considering that the Tauriel character seems to be being phased out of the series merch, we might not have too much to worry about ultimately, though. I hope. *crosses fingers*
Old 01-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #29
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
There's still this strong rumour that she's not going to be in the final cut. The action figures of Tauriel are short packed (and you should get one now if you want one), and no others are.

However a clue is in the Lego Mirkwood set - if she's in it, then it's likely she will help Legolas to rescue the Dwarves from the spiders. Lego sets generally replicate planned scenes, though are planned a long time in advance - and the set I bought does say 'special preview set' on the box. So it may not come to pass *crosses fingers*.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #30
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Might it not just be that they expected her to be in the first film when there were just two but now she will be in the unexpected middle one so they will reissue unser correct film.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #31
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulvenok View Post
The Adventures of Tintin didn't have romance. It also didn't have unnecessary female eye-candy characters either. In fact, they went most of the film focusing on two men and a dog. I fail to see how Tintin, a honest-to-goodness movie could get away with no ridiculous romances or fluff, but The Hobbit can't.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:24 AM   #32
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Might it not just be that they expected her to be in the first film when there were just two but now she will be in the unexpected middle one so they will reissue unser correct film.
That seems more likely to me. After all, if she does play a major role, they might not be able to write her out now.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #33
elvet
Pile O'Bones

elvet has just left Hobbiton.
I keep seeing Kill the Romantic as the title of this thread. Faked me out more than once.
elvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
elvet, until you just pointed that out, I too always saw it as 'kill.'

Welcome to the Downs!
Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #35
Juicy-Sweet
Animated Skeleton

Juicy-Sweet has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Obviously it does.

Haha pretty much spot on
Juicy-Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote