Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #1321
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
Garmund is turning out to have more of a temper than I realized.
I'm glad. At first, with Lčođern so interesting, Garmund seemed almost a cipher. That is happily changed. These things take time....

Poor Garmund. He's in such a pickle! Great stuff!

Uh, I made a deadline but this is too good to stop arbitrarily. We'll see this through until the last post is made, THEN start the new Day.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM   #1322
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Uh, I made a deadline but this is too good to stop arbitrarily. We'll see this through until the last post is made, THEN start the new Day.
Okay. Thanks!

It's nice to finally know what to do with Garmund, though I'm really feeling sorry for the poor kid right now.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:14 AM   #1323
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Sorry. Been busy. (And we had independence-day here yesterday)

I'll try to write something later today.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 AM   #1324
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Hullo all,

Foley has asked me to add the following to the end of my post. It ties up Lys' story for that night.

I can't wait to see what happens in the next day.

~~~

"Thornden, what use can I be of here?" Lys turned and looked at him suddenly, an appealing look in his eyes "I do not want to be useless. It is more than a small worry for me. I want...you to be proud of me..."

“That shouldn’t be difficult,” Thornden said as lightly as he could, struggling with the impulse to be too serious. “I’m not a difficult fellow to please.” Lys didn’t smile. He was being serious. “We’ll find something that you can do successfully, Lys,” Thornden said as reassuringly as he could. “I promise you we will. And I will be proud of you. I already am. I picked you up half dead just a little while ago, a heap that barely resembled a human boy. And look at you now! Walking - and actually worrying about what work you can put your hands to! With such a want to work, you will go far, Lys, even if your body does remain weak in comparison with others, and even if your ankle never completely heals.

“Come,” he said after a small pause, “let’s go in.”

~~~

- Tara
Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM   #1325
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I couldn't quite solve the situation as I need to go to sleep (early wake up tomorrow). But hopefully Celuien has time to get things forwards. And hopefully my post is okay too.

If people wish to go forwards we might make a save there to finish this. I guess it would take a post or two to reach a solution (+ it would be fun to have Lommy posting about Modtryth and Lčođern).
Old 12-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #1326
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'm afraid I won't be ab;e to do anything until Saturday. Just got home now, and I'm off to NYC in the morning. Early in the morning...

Sorry for the delay.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:55 AM   #1327
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Good.

I will post something today (in a few hours) if I get an idea. If I don't, I won't write anything at all, since there's no hope of me coming online on weekend and I guess everybody wants to move on next week.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:42 AM   #1328
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, post's up.

Celuien, if you wish me to change something, just name it. Furthermore, I've written the post so that you can continue the "scene" if you wish, or then we can just leave it that way.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:07 AM   #1329
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
With two sulky boys and two fathers at wit's end, us readers want more! This day is not ready to end, so we will wait for either Nogrod or Celuien or both to post, depending upon what the story requires. So much going on so late at night!
Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #1330
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'm back.

I'll definitely continue this in the afternoon. But then I'm away Sunday and Monday. After that, I finally have a week off from all this train and automoblie (but no plane) business.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #1331
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Celuien: Do your worst! I'll try to save what can be saved...

Really, it would be nice to have a reaction there from Garmund or Garstan as I left the things hang in the air waiting for a call for either of those two - or both.

I can try to come up with an idea where both of the kids would need to pull it out together, but it will be at earliest something like 24 hours from now...
Old 12-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #1332
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Celuien: Do your worst! I'll try to save what can be saved...

Really, it would be nice to have a reaction there from Garmund or Garstan as I left the things hang in the air waiting for a call for either of those two - or both.
Well, there it is. Garmund is behaving horribly.

I'll be back Tuesday.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #1333
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll try to go for it after I get some sleep... but yes, Garmund is not making it easier...

Fun!
Old 12-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #1334
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oi! This is getting really exciting! Golly! Celuien, it's nice that Garstan's such an even tempered fellow.

Nogrod, we'll be looking forward to your next post very much, I think.

-- Folwren
Old 12-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #1335
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

We want more! We want more!

You're just sooo funny Cel and Nog.

And I'm not putting pressure on you, I swear.

That last one was hilarious, Celuien, but evidently I'm not spreding reputation enough.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #1336
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Head Count

Okay, who needs to accomplish what on the following Day, and how many posts do you think it will take?

I'd like to make the following Day a "summary or tie up loose strings" Day; in other words, abbreviated and shortened. You know, like... Cut. Short.

As for me, Eodwine needs to have a continuation of the conversation with Saeryn, and needs to figure out what to do with Lefun and Ritun. And have Garreth and Harreld come up if Lhuna's character makes her grand entrance. You'll all just have to wait and see 'cause Lhuna and I ain't tellin'.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #1337
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would like to find out what Javan will be doing. And I think Thornden also needs to try to find something that Lys can do, but I'm not sure what there is, so perhaps he needs Eodwine's help, too. I'm not sure, though. We'll have to see.

-- Folwren
Old 12-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #1338
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
As usual, Farahil's off in Lin's direction doing manly Farahil things like sparring and sitting on boats under the stars.

Degas is having his own subplot thing, which doesn't really require anything from anybody, therefore isn't bound by 'day' constraints.

Saer's got to have follow up, and Elempi, I'm devoutly uncertain as to whether or not the reaction I foresaw so long ago will be the one she actually has. Really, it's just Saeryn I have to do anything with, and what happens to her is up in the air.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #1339
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Celuien I have left it now so that you may continue a bit if you wish, but I think the day might be closed too - for our part, that is.

Hopefully the fathers made a good enough solution... We should make a deal about the details soon enough so that we can figure out whether it works or not. And possibly Lys could shake any emerging balance nicely too?
Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #1340
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
In a foreshortened day, all I'll have is one incredible book of a post, catching Lin's story up to the point where I can bring her home to roost.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #1341
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Lhuna's coming? At last! Looking forward muchly to that.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #1342
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Okay, rest assured that what you need to accomplish in a foreshortened (like that word) day, you will be able to. As for Saeryn doing something different than expected, no, really? You have got to be kidding! Unthinkable! After all, we're talking about the bringer of the red dawn as the writer, who'd o' thought that this particular character might have a chaotic bone in her body? My my my!

At least you're devout about your uncertainty.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #1343
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
As for Saeryn doing something different than expected, no, really?
nods sagely. Really.

Quote:
After all, we're talking about the bringer of the red dawn as the writer
Tried to get B-W to change it to 'memento mori,' but I guess he just didn't want to accommodate my Nietzschean Middle English melancholy desires...

Quote:
who'd o' thought that this particular character might have a chaotic bone in her body? My my my!
Really, she does. One or two.

Quote:
At least you're devout about your uncertainty.
Gotta believe in something.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #1344
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I agree with Noggels; I think the two families need just one post by Cel that finishes the matter.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #1345
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

If elempi has any ideas what kind of jobs there would be for two young lads around that are not funny, we would like to hear about them. Otherwise Stigend and Garstan will have to come up with something relating to the building sites.

That is, of course, if the decision I made the men reach suits Celuien.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:59 AM   #1346
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
If elempi has any ideas what kind of jobs there would be for two young lads around that are not funny, we would like to hear about them. Otherwise Stigend and Garstan will have to come up with something relating to the building sites.

That is, of course, if the decision I made the men reach suits Celuien.
That was brilliant, Nogrod! I love it.

I'll have the response in a few hours. If Elempi has a suggestion, it would be great. Otherwise, I think I'm going to have them divide the day between mixing mortar for the stonework (I think there's still a little bit left to do) and cleaning/organizing/sharpening tools.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:47 AM   #1347
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Scrubbing floors

Collecting horse apples from the paddock

Shoveling manure in the barn

cleaning out the latrine

washing dishes in the kitchen

chopping wood for the fire place

shearing the sheep

being (temporarily) apprenticed to someone unpleasant, or for an unpleasant trade like making yellow paint (guess what the primary ingredient is?)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #1348
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

All great ones, Elempi.

I don't think I want to intrude on Trystan's job. If there are no objections, shearing the sheep sounds like a really good one because they'll have to work together on that job...and I expect it would be rather difficult for inexperienced hands.

And after that turns out to be a disaster, they can be sent to shovel manure in the barn.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #1349
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yep, sheering sheep can be tough. There's a chapter in Farmer Boy by Laura Wilder about sheering sheep. That might give you an idea of how it's done.

Sounds amusing, folks. Can't wait to see it.

-- Folwren
Old 12-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #1350
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Yep, sheering sheep can be tough. There's a chapter in Farmer Boy by Laura Wilder about sheering sheep. That might give you an idea of how it's done.
Hmm. I don't have that book. But I think there was something in Far From the Madding Crowd. I might reread that before the boys go off tomorrow.

If Eodwine has sheep, let me know and I'll edit my post to reflect that.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #1351
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Believe it or not... I'm still keeping a weather eye on this thread, waiting for a day change, actually...

Not that I'm in much of a hurry, to be honest.

Still, a new day means I'll probably get to posting again. If it's just a loose-ends-tying day, then I'll wait till the next "full" day.

Meanwhile... hop to it. I'm almost getting impatient, which shows how long it's been.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 PM   #1352
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

With that nudge by Formy, I will post a new Day by the end of tomorrow (NAEST), unless there are any fresh howls of protest.

Eodwine has no sheep. He is not a good Englishman. But he ought to get some.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:33 PM   #1353
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
LMP...you must not have kids. Don't tell little boys to do anything that involves ickiness. Too much fun.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:35 PM   #1354
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I thought I'd try to populate Eodwine's dream with every character at the Mead Hall, but there were too many!

So I fit in as many as I could. Anyway, I've sort of made some presumptions in regard to Saeryn. If you want me to change anything, Fea, just let me know...
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #1355
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

nymphette...

*snicker*

I'll post my book tomorrow. It's already rather long, but I feel it still needs some polishing, and maybe some padding. We are going with the next day then?

How long will the gap be between this and the next day?
Old 12-15-2006, 03:14 AM   #1356
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyHallu
nymphette *snicker*
Man, that was off the cuff, but I guess I'll leave it.

Quote:
How long will the gap be between this and the next day?
Good question. After we wrap up this short loose-ends tying day, what seems good?

By the by, no, I don't have kids. Nor was I particularly given to enjoying "ick" in my day. But "ick" for long, long hours of hard labor, not even the lustiest boy would like much.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #1357
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eodwine
Confound you, you nymphette! Stop!
Aye, swear at her. That's the way to get a woman to stop.

What's nymphette mean?

Yes, do leave it. It's stragely humorous. Your dream was saddening, too.

Not all boys enjoy ick jobs. Around here, the least favorite jobs for my brother are shoveling horse manure from the pen, cleaning the chicken coop, and hauling wood for the fire. The wood isn't ick, but I thought I'd add it, since he doesn't like it. But the first two are the ickiest job around the house. (I personally hate cleaning the bathroom, but that's because it's hard, not gross.)

-- Folwren
Old 12-15-2006, 09:33 AM   #1358
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
What's nymphette mean?
That could depend slightly on how much Nabokov he's read recently. [img]ubb/eek.gif[/img]

Elempi, I want to respond. Right now. You have no idea.

But I just got out of a final, just got out of the shower, and I need to finish a lengthy (and grade make-or-break'ing) paper on a study of sonnets to hand in in order to get in the door to take a second final in less than two hours and then I have to finish packing, run a few hopefully quick errands, and then I'm going to be in a car for quite a long time, after which I'm going to be at somebody else's house (with dial-up) for a week...

I honestly can't promise a single thing as to when I'm going to be able to respond properly.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #1359
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
I honestly can't promise a single thing as to when I'm going to be able to respond properly.
Regardless, we know that Saeryn is leaving. So Feanor can post here and I'll add in her reponse to Eodwine, and then write something good-bye-ish for Eodwine.

For the present, we can continue; I'll edit the end of my last post to show Eodwine walking back to his rooms, all a-mix in his middle, betraying just that on his countenance. Et cetera. Carry on!

Nymphette means female water spirit, if you go by the Greek; A nymph is female, so the "ette" can't mean that or it would be redundant. So it means the same thing as cigarette as compared to cigar === small nymph. So a rough translation would be tiny nymph. In other words, a big nuisance!

Saddening dream? It was meant to be chaotic and hilarious; or at least crazy and dreamlike. *Elempi shrugs*

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-15-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:24 PM   #1360
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Saddening dream? It was meant to be chaotic and hilarious; or at least crazy and dreamlike. *Elempi shrugs*
It was chaotic, and it was sometimes humorous (like when Falco was trying to tend to him), but when he was stuck in the mud, that was sad. It was like a very real dream, but it was still somewhat sad.

No time to post at present. I will get around to it before this Day is up and people are ready to move on.

-- Folwren