The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #401
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok, just 2 points since I am pushed for time:

1,It is just "riding" not horse back riding or horse riding, where and what else might you think anyone might be referring to?

2, Crooking your little finger is a spurious pretension.... you will be using doilies next....

And that is probably equivalent to Gandalf's use of fire on Caradhras ..

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:12 PM   #402
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

Quote:
Do Scots and Welsh have identities? Or are they just extensions of the English? I know the Irish definitely have a distinct identity.
The Scots all wear kilts and are reminiscent of Grounds-keeper Willie from The Simpsons.

The Welsh are well-known for looking with disdain upon "foreigners". Or so I've always heard.

Quote:
where and what else might you think anyone might be referring to?
With the phantom including minor slips of mine in our frequent PMs, I've learned to be very specific and choose my wording wisely, lest it be misunderstood.

Fea
Old 11-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #403
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dūm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
are there any stereotypes for bostonians? (boston, massachusetts) and its true about New yorkers! they're loud, obnoxious and are ummm... very supportive of theyre baseball team *coughs* yankees stink*cough*. If you ever have any reason to go to New york though Broadway would be it. It's awesome there.
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:19 PM   #404
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Good old boston?

Home of the beans and the cod, where the Lowells speak only to Cabots and the Cabots speak only to God?

Hmmm ...... Kennedy's (and other Americans who think they are Irish...) , Harvard, Cape Cod, Nantucket, Sailing, Henry James, Sea food....

Old 11-26-2004, 05:54 PM   #405
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

Quote:
are there any stereotypes for bostonians?
The insult of "chowder-head". People who not only live in Boston, but listen to Boston, eat Boston baked beans, cheer for the Boston Red Sox, and speak with a Haa-vud accent.

Quote:
If you ever have any reason to go to New york though Broadway would be it
Or, of course, the kind, intelligent, interesting, and helpful people who live in the REST of the state. And the incredible variation of landscapes, the awesome variety of wildlife, the lakes, the hills, the brilliant autumns and hellish-fury winters... You know... all those reasons.

One funny thing about where I live is that almost everyone I know holds a grudge against the entire City. We really have nothing against the people, just the entire existance of the place. Picture going out of state, or even out of the country. People ask where you are from, and you say "New York". You then get bombarded with questions like "Omigod, do you like, live next door to the Statue of Liberty? Did you run when the Twin Towers fell?" And you are forced to answer "No I did not run, my eyes were rivited to a television screen a few hundred miles northwest of the place, where I live."

Fea
Old 11-27-2004, 07:50 AM   #406
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boston? That's in Lincolnshire, so its claim to fame might be taters?

Seriously, Boston USA sounds an interesting place. Cheap Lobster, universities, the Boston Tea Party, Sylvia Plath, and of course, The Pixies.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #407
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Lal, as per above: chavs! It's not that rude... And there are many of them about.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #408
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil

One funny thing about where I live is that almost everyone I know holds a grudge against the entire City. We really have nothing against the people, just the entire existance of the place. Picture going out of state, or even out of the country. People ask where you are from, and you say "New York". You then get bombarded with questions like "Omigod, do you like, live next door to the Statue of Liberty? Did you run when the Twin Towers fell?" And you are forced to answer "No I did not run, my eyes were rivited to a television screen a few hundred miles northwest of the place, where I live."

Fea
Well I have an affection for upstate New York due to a fondness for Edith Wharton and (a long time ago) a young man from Poughkeepsie

Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #409
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Shelob has just left Hobbiton.
Come on, you forgot the ever so stereotypical 'Boston Accent'
"Pahk the cah in Havahd Yahd"
How can you forget that?

Oh, sorry. Feanor of the Peredhil did mention it...just as a "Haa-vud accent."

I love that stereotype...I love teasing my dad 'cause he speaks with that accent...and I love it when I slip and accidently say something like "Yeah, I read it in hahd covah"...

As for New York, I've kin in upstate New York but have never been to the city (though I want to go to Broadway)...
Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 PM   #410
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Australia.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #411
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Well, my assumption is that anyone misguided enough to actually want to know where I'm from will look under my avatar, but in the event that I should someday change the "location" I'm from, or in case we have some unexpected numbskulls hiding within our intelligent ranks, I'll inscribe my hometown into this thread:

Olds, Alberta, Canada.

Population: c.8000, located 1 hr (100 km) north of Calgary. Age: 100 (exactly). For further details, look it up. (Google with do fine...)
Old 01-29-2005, 11:31 AM   #412
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
i actually just got in to calgary last night, i was shipped out to the navy for a week on duty, but now i'm back...
Old 01-30-2005, 02:18 PM   #413
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
Read my location

Jk, I'm from Holland, South-Holland, The Hague... If you really like to know :P

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:31 AM   #414
Assasin
Wight

Assasin has just left Hobbiton.
I live in Arizona, USA. Very hot. Got a great tan.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #415
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
Jk, I'm from Holland, South-Holland, The Hague... If you really like to know
So if my grandpa hadn't moved over from Holland...I'd probably be.....somewhere around there.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #416
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dūm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
Tolkien Just found this thread again...

Well besides our silly accent ...
I have the worst time with it. Sometimes I type in it and when I'm typing a post I have to go back and edit it to make sure I didn't spell anything weirdly. And it's even worse when you move somewhere else and everyone makes fun of your accent. But it's ok because I make fun of it too...
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #417
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

well AbercrombieOfRohan my family and I scared someone withour accents before...it was a few years ago, and she was unused to hearing a boston accent except from me everyonce and awhile, so when we invited her over one day my mom says you could see the terror in her eyes at suddenly hearing nothing, nothing, except boston accents...I felt (and still feel) rather bad for her, but on the other hand it was nice to see looks of inconprehension on someone else for a change (since we were living far from home I was so at lost as to what people were saying I probably had a blank look of confusion on my face for the better part of a year)

But typing with an accent is pretty cool...every once and a while I get a strong urge to type "y'know" or "c'mon" or somthing, but that's not really an accent--just quicker....
Old 02-13-2005, 02:14 PM   #418
Linnahiril Tinnufinwen
Haunting Spirit

Linnahiril Tinnufinwen has just left Hobbiton.
I'm a Southern California girl. Us Southern Californian's do have a bit of a stereotype as well. We're all supposed to be from Hollywood, be in extemely good shape and extremely fashionable, know tons of celebrities, and love to surf and go the the beach. I must confess, that though I have been to Hollywood several times (I only live an hour a way), there really is nothing special about it. It's just a city, with some neat stores. I don't think I'm that fashionable, I don't know any celebrities, and I hate the beach. It is pretty hot down here, though, during the summer.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #419
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
and its true about New yorkers! they're loud, obnoxious and are ummm... very supportive of theyre baseball team *coughs* yankees stink*cough*. If you ever have any reason to go to New york though Broadway would be it. It's awesome there.
I confess, it's all true. But to the credit of New Yorkers... we are fearless when it comes to jaywalking, and can hail cabs like no one else.

Although I'm not from the city, so perhaps my skills are not as honed as those who do live there. Apparantly Long Island has its own sterotypes... You Know You're From Long Island When...

And so many of them are so true.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:05 AM   #420
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
If you're not from Long Island or NYC, you're not really from New York
Hey, I'm from the sixth borough, thank you very much!

You know... the state that comes attached to the city? Only people forget it, so when you say "I'm from New York", they say "Omigod, do you like, live next to the Statue of Liberty or something?". *shudder* Now this one, is true. For you city folks, you have no idea how exciting corn-field cop stops actually are. They're even better when you haven't actually done anything wrong and the cop sees you and says "Hey how's the folks? Yer dad know yer out tonight?" because the cop grew up with your parents.

Fea
Old 02-14-2005, 01:10 PM   #421
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
I live in a very dark and wet place with lots of trees and very little sunshine, a place where giant spiders lurk in dark corners and wild animals roam the woods across the street. Sounds like a Mirkwood's bad neighborhood, but it's Oregon USA. I think I'm one of the lone two Oregonian BDers. I'd like to find out that there are more web-footers on the Downs, but I fear that Oregon isn't as barrow-savvy as that. Morai and I have to hold down the Pacific Northwest corner of the BW fort on our own, I guess. We've got the Rainwraiths to look out for, as we huddle in the shadow of Mt. St. Helens, AKA Mt. St. Doom, to our north. WE WILL PERSERVERE!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:04 PM   #422
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Eye

I live in Utah, U.S.A. and am proud of it, though sometimes I wish I were from another country. Does the U.S. have a bad reputation every where? It seems like it does.

I've only managed to find a few people from Utah. I would love it if I found someone who lived near me.

~ Nimmy ~
Old 02-15-2005, 08:31 PM   #423
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
I live in Utah, U.S.A. and am proud of it, though sometimes I wish I were from another country. Does the U.S. have a bad reputation every where? It seems like it does.
Why would you wish you were from another country? I count myself lucky to live in the US.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:13 PM   #424
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynė

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
And Sophia is from...

Maine... exiled to Indiana.

Interesting thread we have here.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 01:53 AM   #425
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Why would you wish you were from another country? I count myself lucky to live in the US.
Because Canada is so much better!

I mean we have... um.... Mounties! Yeah, we have Mounties, eh! And snow! Lots of snow! If you like snow, we have it! What's a country without snow, eh?

Frankly, I don't know about the rest of the world, but the States doesn't look like such a bad place from up here. I mean, it's warm down there. You can go out without your parka and mukluks, and not freeze. And when you go out you'll actually be able to find another person.

The lack of all-encompassing forests of California redwoods would be depressing, but the novelty of pavement and beaches would take a while to wear off, at least.

Look at it from a Tolkien point of view: Canada is the Ice-bay of Forochel. Even if the States is Angmar, it's got more going for it.

NOTE: This a totally humourous post, poking fun at both the States and Canada. No offense to any Canadian or American is intended, although anyone from Uzbekistan is welcome to complain if they find it offensive.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:01 AM   #426
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien I'm from...

California Dreamin' on such a winter's day...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:16 AM   #427
Gil-Galad

Looks in shock at Forem

right...

well i'm actually about an hours drive away from formen, and about 10-20 minute from Esgall....
Old 02-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #428
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Quote:
I mean, it's warm down there. You can go out without your parka and mukluks, and not freeze. And when you go out you'll actually be able to find another person.
*Looks out the window at the snow falling rapidly from the sky as the temperature falls*

The funniest thing in the world is when people down south break out the winter jackets when the temperature hits 50 degrees.

And really, aren't we all American, inhabiting an American Barrow? Yeah... thought so.

Fea
Old 02-16-2005, 11:56 AM   #429
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
And really, aren't we all American, inhabiting an American Barrow? Yeah... thought so.

Fea

Fea, this makes me think of my great aunt who drove her American husband mad by her longtime refusal to take US citizenship (he travelled a lot for his work even after he left the army and it was a nighmare sorting Visas). He would ask why she wouldn't become an American since half the world wanted to be American. She replied "That may well be true, but I happen to be British"

Sadly we seem to be the 51st state now though

Old 02-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #430
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
The funniest thing in the world is when people down south break out the winter jackets when the temperature hits 50 degrees.
Heh, you get that in the UK too, and the temperature differences between north and south are hardly any different. If you went for a night out in Newcastle, whatever the weather, the locals will be going about in their shirt sleeves or less, and I always laugh when I'm out and see people bundled up in ten layers of clothing when the temperature goes below 10c. Anything above that is warm to me having grown up in the coldest house in the UK.

Funny though, it rarely crosses my mind that the 'Downs is an American site, because nobody comes across as being all that different to anyone else. Do you have Barrows in the Americas? I know there is a lot of sacred rock art and I've seen pictures of earthworks, but I'd be interested to know if there are any actual barrows!
Old 02-16-2005, 12:52 PM   #431
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Quote:
I mean we have... um.... Mounties! Yeah, we have Mounties, eh! And snow! Lots of snow! If you like snow, we have it! What's a country without snow, eh?
Seriously, if anybody in the world still thinks that we live in ice caves and can't expose any skin outside, I laugh, and laugh and laugh. I haven't seen snow since my 7th birthday. I haven't been in below zero temperatures since my last visit inside the walk in freezer where I work.
Quote:
Funny though, it rarely crosses my mind that the 'Downs is an American site,
I'm always so suprised that no matter what country posters are from, I can't tell from their English where they live. Even when I find more South-East-Asia enhabited forums, they all speak the same language, with good vocabulary. Then I look at myself and wonder how crippled I'd be if the world worked on any other language but english.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #432
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Quote:
Because Canada is so much better!

You're right. I wish I lived in Canada.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM   #433
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1420!

Quote:
Yes, I do also. It's just that people here can be complete idiots. I guess it's the same every where else though. That and some people running the country. I believe Bush is a great leader, but there are some... nevermind.
Old 02-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #434
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Funny though, it rarely crosses my mind that the 'Downs is an American site, because nobody comes across as being all that different to anyone else. Do you have Barrows in the Americas? I know there is a lot of sacred rock art and I've seen pictures of earthworks, but I'd be interested to know if there are any actual barrows!
I think there are, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
You're right. I wish I lived in Canada.
I hope you're being facetious...

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:44 PM   #435
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Some Interesting Facts About Canada That I Have Already Inflicted On The Downs But Will Do So Again Here

Canada (unlike every nation in Europe and the United States) has never lost a war (including the one we fought with the US when we opened up a big old can of whoop *** on y'all).

The oldest corporation in the entire world is The Hudson's Bay Company (Canadian).

General Motors was founded in Canada, by a Canadian.

The telephone, the zipper, peacekeeping forces, and the Roberston screwdriver are Canadian inventions.

Canadian women are the best looking women in the world.

All Canadians are fleet of foot and possessed of extraordinary grace and intelligence.

(OK, I might have made that last one up.)
Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #436
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Canada (unlike every nation in Europe and the United States) has never lost a war (including the one we fought with the US when we opened up a big old can of whoop *** on y'all).
Hey, we haven't lost very much!
Old 02-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #437
Beleg Cuthalion
Wight

Beleg Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordim Hedgethistle
The telephone, the zipper, peacekeeping forces, and the Roberston screwdriver are Canadian inventions.
You forgot the pacemaker, the electric pipe organ beloved of small non-guitar-playing church congregations everywhere, the G-suit, Howard Shore, Ngila Dickson and John Howe!

P.S. Peacekeeping's overrated. Like way.

Quis ut Deus
Beleg Cuthalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:50 PM   #438
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleg Cuthalion
P.S. Peacekeeping's overrated. Like way.

is it now...well one thing that caught my eye was not so long ago, maybe it was one of my teachers, but anyways, he said that if humans bled oil, U.S. will be the most humanitarian nation in the world...
Old 02-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #439
Shelob
Shade of Carn Dūm

Quote:
Do you have Barrows in the Americas? I know there is a lot of sacred rock art and I've seen pictures of earthworks, but I'd be interested to know if there are any actual barrows!
Lalwendė
There are the mound-builders, they lived along the Mississippi River at around the time of the middle ages. The mound-builders didn't quite build barrows they built ceremonial mounds (hence their name), but it's probably the closest in that sense...
In South America the Incas mumified their dead and continued to 'worship' them (but that's not really the best word...it's more like they treated them much the same as if they were still alive...spoke with them, brought them food, and I think there were some celebrations when they brought all their old rulers out of their tombs for the day)...
This is all I know off that's similar, though I wouldn't be supprised at 'barrow-ish' ideas appearing elsewhere in the americas...

Quote:
I haven't seen snow since my 7th birthday
Ainaserkewen
You Poor and Fortunate person...We get snow all but every year (and this year has been no exception--we've enough snow, and it was cold enough, that the other day I could go walk on the snow) and thanks to some misfortune of genetics I'm always colder than everyone else (so I spend every year from late September to mid May freezing) but I get to do fun stuff like make snowmen, go sking, and throw snowballs at my brother

And to all of you I present this final quote:

"A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural." --Joseph Heller, from Catch-22

so think on that...
Old 02-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #440
Neurion
Shade of Carn Dūm

Location: Standing amidst the slaughter I have wreaked upon the orcs
Neurion has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad
is it now...well one thing that caught my eye was not so long ago, maybe it was one of my teachers, but anyways, he said that if humans bled oil, U.S. will be the most humanitarian nation in the world...
Try as I might, I can't seem to make any sense of that statement.

"And a cold voice rang forth from the blade.

Yea, I will drink thy blood, that I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly."
Neurion is offline   Reply With Quote