The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2003, 06:44 PM   #1
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Characters you love?

Is their any character in Tolkien's books that anyone genuinely loves or cares about?

For me it has to be Sam. His dedication to Frodo during The Two Towers and Return of the King is very heartwarming in such a dark book, and I almost wanted to cry, because it was so emotional. Now I have a love for Sam as a character, because of his love for Frodo.

I also feel very sorry for Smeagol. His corruption was very sorrowful and painful, and even he didn't deserve all the events that happened to him. I've always cared deeply about Smeagol, because of his love for Frodo in the Two Towers.

I find it very interesting seeing my two favourite characters conflict and eventually cause Smeagol to be corrupted by Gollum. For some reason I felt very sorry for him from the moment I read about him in The Hobbit, though why then I'm not quite sure, although I feel it must have been pity.

There is also Eowyn, who I have a strong interest in because of her strength and courage, and because she was rejected by Aragorn. I find her one of the most interesting characters, because she is probably the lead female character in The Lord of the Rings, as Galadriel and Arwen do little, and because I seem to love to hate Shelob (in a good way). Her role is very important in my opinion, and I feel she represents peace throughout the entire story when she appears.

Does anyone else feel very strongly about any of the characters in the books? I'm sure this must have been discussed somewhere before, but I'm not sure if ever any thread about genuine attachment to characters was made, or if they were 'Who was your favourite character?' theads.
Dynaviir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:12 PM   #2
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
I am very attached to Sam. Such genuine devotion, goodness and loyalty in a person is indeed admirable. I wish I knew someone like that, and I hope I can someday be Sam-like. But the mention of Sam (or a picture of him) can always bring a smile to my face. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have had to defend Sam's case against one of my friends, who enjoys insulting him just to spite me, and I would do it again. Ah... Sam........... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have a folder of bookmarked sites that have something to do with Sam. Yay! I'm obssessed. But anyway, I think Sam is the character that I have the most affection for out of anything I've ever read. He could very well be my brother or something... that would be a happy day in fantasy land...

I am very affectionate of all the hobbits in general. I love reading all the parts with hobbits in their element, because they're just so hobbitsy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] So second to Sam would come Frodo, Merry, and Pippin.

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:56 PM   #3
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree, Luthien, same is one of the greatest characters! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] He has all the aspects of a respectable and lovable person (and it makes it better that he's a hobbit!).

Quote:
So second to Sam would come Frodo, Merry, and Pippin.
I see you are a hobbit person. So am I! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The four hobbits in Fellowship of the Ring I have always felt a special rapport with, particularly in Book One, before they reach Rivendell. Their adventures through the Old Forest, the House of Tom Bombadil and the Barrow-downs are so mesmerizing, and their banter with Strider is always enjoyable before they know who he really is.

I could not possibly pick a favorite character though. Aside from the hobbits, my favorite "Middle-earthlings" are Aragorn, Fingolfin and Hurin. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] Aragorn's struggle is so grand and he has such an aura of nobility and bravery (something that is very hard to capture in writing). Fingolfin is loyal, compassionate, brave and wise, the quintessential Elf, in my mind, and certainly the one who I would choose to lead my army! Hurin I feel pity for, being so mighty a warrior and having to endure such sorrow! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] He is one of the most tragic characters I have ever read (and I dabble in Shakespeare and Homer quite a bit).
Old 07-30-2003, 09:54 PM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Is their any character in Tolkien's books that anyone genuinely loves or cares about?
Well, I always feel strongly for the hobbits, but I am most protective of and identify in many ways with Frodo, while I am most fond of Pippin. I can really relate to the journey that Pippin takes, from unsure of himself and a bit airheaded (read unobservant or careless) to VERY aware and directed, and a Bada$$ at the Gate of Morannon and the Scouring of the Shire! He is a carefree creature awakened with terrible acuity but who still retains the innocent optimism that made him so lovable to begin with! If I had the choice of all creatures in Middle Earth, I would marry Pippin (if he asked! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] --well, maybe even if he didn't! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

However, the most present spirit in my everyday existence would have to be Frodo. I should have a bumper sticker that reads "What would Frodo do?" I feel his spirit is most sublime and transformed, and he is a window into the other world, a place I contemplate all too frequently. He is rarefied in many ways, but I feel in close company with him all along, as if I were Samwise as reader, sort of! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I may or may not be famous now for my Fëanor fetish [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] ; however, I wouldn't come near the crazy exploding elf! I feel for him, but I am in awe of him in a way that defies description...however, I really feel more of a kinship with Maedhros and Maglor, the two of his sons who realized the futility of the fulfilling of Fëanor's Oath. They were good despite overwhelming odds, doomed but repentant, or, as I would call it, reflective. I have not read the HoME volumes, so I do not know all the stories...

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:04 AM   #5
Nehani
Haunting Spirit

Nehani has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nehani
Tolkien

Aragorn. It would be a dream for me to wander the lands, and know of all things wild. (sigh) If only...but knowing that a hermit (as I call myself) can become a king/queen gives me hope. I often compare every day life to his life.

Nehani of the Forest

"The Way Is Closed. It Was Made By Those Who are Dead. The Way is Closed."
Nehani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:28 AM   #6
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Aragorn is my favorite as well, Nehani. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] He just seems like he has a very good nature. I also like Gandalf, because he is so wise and he's an awesome wizard. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]

Toodles
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #7
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So second to Sam would come Frodo, Merry, and Pippin.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see you are a hobbit person. So am I!
That makes three of us. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Well, I can't pick particularily one character, so I must say the four hobbits that went on the Quest. When I read the books, from the time that they set out to the time that they returned, they grew so much in maturity and wisdom that it stunned me, yet they stayed true to their hobbity nature. I liked seeing them prove people wrong and carrying out great deeds that none would have thought they could do.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:57 AM   #8
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

I feel most for Pippin and Merry. They are my two favorites of all the characters. I can relate to how Pippin feels during most of his journey, especially when Merry isn't there to help him make decisions, etc. Like when he goes to Minas Tirith with Gandalf, and when he has to figure out an escape plan from the Uruk-Hai while Merry is unconscious.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:53 PM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I have a fascination for Denethor above all other characters. Other than that, I tend to prefer the more obscure characters such as Finduilas and Imrahil, and I have a soft spot for Eomer.

Last edited by Meela; 11-27-2004 at 06:55 AM.
Meela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:18 PM   #10
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have a personal attachment to Maedhros and Maglor, also. Out of all of Feanor's sons, these two, to me, are the most noble. The friendship between Maedhros and many of the other Noldor truly touched my heart when I read the Silm. I cried.

I also have this odd attachment to Quickbeam, the ent. I always thought he was neat. Don't know why, though.
Old 07-31-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Ah.. I understand everyone who loves Sam. I'll confess, I'd marry Sam if he asked me to [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]!

As for all of the Hobbits in general, I agree I love reading every moment they appear in. They remind me of a perfect balance between child and adult, and it's very touching; I wish more people were like them. If our society was more like that of the Shire's, then we would be much happier people [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

But I'm surprised no one's mentioned Bilbo. He has always been my second favourite hobbit to Sam (or Smeagol, if you can still call him a hobbit), and I loved how much he wished to be home at Bag End during The Hobbit, but managed to accomplish so many great deeds despite that. Plus, I instantly fell in love with Ian Holm's performance; although I know that shouldn't influence how I feel towards the characters. I also find Bilbo a pitiable character the FotR during his Rivendell chapters, and I adore every moment Bilbo walks into the pages in just a mere mention during the rest of the story.

Last edited by Dynaviir; 12-16-2013 at 03:28 AM.
Dynaviir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:27 PM   #12
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
They remind me of a perfect balance between child and adult
An excellent description. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I have never heard of hobbits described this way but it seems to hit the mark more accurately than any other descriptions I have heard (aside from maybe those of the Professor himself [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )!