The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-29-2004, 02:45 AM   #1
bob

Siege/Battle of Minas Tirith

Hi guys

I was wondering if anybody can give me some pointers on the size of the forces involved in the Siege of Minas Tirith?

Also, several of the maps online that I've been able to find seem a little contradictory, particularly with the vision portrayed in the movie, is there a definitive version?

Kind regards for any assistance!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:28 AM   #2
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Welcome to the Downs Bob. Now, the siege of Gondor was a pretty complex thing. I had to take out my copy of the "Atlas of Middle Earth" to get some figures for you, so here they are;

Mordor and Allies;

Angmar, Barad Dur, Gothmog, Minas Morgul - 20,000 (est)

Allies;
Haradrim, Near and far Harad, Rhun, Khand, Others - 25,000

Total Mordor Force - Minimum of 45,000

Hope that helpped.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-29-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

Hookbill has given the Mordor forces, and through the account in Minas Tirith, we can get a guess at Gondor forces.

Forlong from Lossarnach- 200

Devorin from Ringlo Vale- 300

Duinhir's archers from Morthond- 500

Golasgil from Langstrand, Men from Lamedon, fisherfolk from Ethir- combined possibly 200.

Hirluin from Pennith Gelin- 300

Imrahil from Dol Amroth- 700.

Combined thats 2,200. But that doesn't include the men already in the city, that I don't know, these were just the captains from around Gondor bringing in their men.

Then Rohan came with 6,000 men.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Spot on Master Boromir. Give yourself a trophy!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #5
bob

Thank you very much!

After just watching the return of the king yesterday it looked more like hundreds of thousands - and I'm terribly embarrised to say I don't actually own a copy of the book (I have read it though, I promise!)
Old 01-02-2005, 02:49 PM   #6
King of the North
Haunting Spirit

King of the North has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well as stated above the forces of Mordor equalled about 45,000 and the forces of Gondor equalled about 11,250 (including other allies such as Rohan). But recently I just watched one of the special features on the EE of RotK and one of the animators said that 45,000 troops wasn't enough soldiers for the strategy they devised. Therefore they raised the number to 300,000 troops! That is why it looked so huge.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

That is true King of the North, they increased the size of Sauron's forces. I remember reading an article about it before the movies came out. About Gondor facing 200,000 (that's the number I heard) people. I don't know the reasons behind it, maybe they wanted a mass number of troops so it would explain them getting to the 4th and 5th levels of Minas Tirith, because in the books 45,000 isn't enough to enter the first level. As, the forces are stopped dead in their tracks (but if it wasn't for Rohan they definately would have broken through the first level). 200,000 just seems like an extreme amount of numbers, I have no idea why they increased it that high.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote