The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-08-2003, 03:45 PM   #41
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Eowyn, definately. I mean, in the books, the whole Arwen/Aragorn thing is really well done (naturally!), you hear about it just enough so you remember it, and know what the two mean to each other, but you don't get drowned in mushy fluff romance scenes! The movie, I think, overdid Arwen's part a bit, sticking her in where she wasn't necessarily needed. And she was such a priss!!! <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Arwen's role goes like this: kiss Aragorn, pine for Aragorn, dream about Aragorn, and cry over Aragorn.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Thank you for that remark, PippinSqueak! So, I guess in the Books I would agree with Aragorn and Arwen, but in the movie, it should have been Aragorn and Eowyn.<P>~*~Sapphire_Flame
Old 01-12-2003, 02:29 PM   #42
Nostie
Pile O'Bones

Nostie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Nostie
Sting

ahh...kinda hard to decide..<BR>personally i like Eowyn better...Arwen just sits back and waits, cries ...About Luthien and Beren, Luthien goes with Beren all the way to Mordor to get a Silmaril from Morgoth!! how bout Arwen? Loves daddy too much to get out of her home and help her lover?? And then when Aragorn finishes his job and becomes King, she comes to marry him. Now Eowyn, she goes and actually fights in war. (Although I am happy for her and Faramir at the end) i still think aragorn should go for Eowyn...
Nostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 03:10 PM   #43
Deiagorn
Pile O'Bones

Deiagorn has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Deiagorn Send a message via AIM to Deiagorn
Sting

Eowyn, she's been through more then Arwen, besides, no one wants to see Liv Tyler die of old age right?<BR>Anyway, Arwen will find some kind of Elf... HOWEVER, I think Faramir needs some woman... maybe Shelob? lol, i dunno, it works out well anyway..
Old 01-12-2003, 03:38 PM   #44
maikafanawen
Tears of Simbelmynë

maikafanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to maikafanawen
Pipe

Well ... as far as true love goes: Arwen. It's really romantic that Arwen loves Aragorn but she really belongs with her people and she could probably find one of her own kind to fall in love with. She shouldnt' replay the Luthien-Beren role, it's too sad. But then I can't see Aragorn with anyone but Arwen, so I'd have to say Arwen. <P>Eowyn should have married Theodred. :\ It's going to be quite a shock to the movie-goers when in ROTK, beautiful, faithful, Rohan Warrior-Woman ends up with the [framed] Gondorian Ranger. (I am very tight-lipped about the butchering of Faramir's character, but that's for another thread ... err ...) I don't know how they (the scriptwriters) are going to 'fix' Faramir's character but they had better do something about it!!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:38 PM   #45
Lily Ahern
Pile O'Bones

Lily Ahern has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I love the story of Aragorn and Arwen . And I think Eowyn rocks I mean she can fight she has brains and she can stand up for herself.<BR>But I think that Arwen is soooo much better for Aragorn because for one reason, Arwen is millenia old, and Eowyn is only 20 ish. Since Aragorn is 80+ they have the whole "I'm not ageing thing" going for them...kinda. But it's sort of difficult because Arwen is elf kind and she will live for milliniums but Aragorn is mortal and even though he ages slowly I think she would out live him![QUOTE] let it be a light for you when all others go out (aladriel)
Old 01-15-2003, 03:22 PM   #46
Moraine

Sting

Arwen. Theres no real question. As Lily Ahern has already stated Arwen is an Elven maiden, BUT, she is the only one for Aragorn.<BR>And here are my reasons:<BR> No.1 Arwen and Aragorn are, as Arwen herself put it "kin from afar". They are the "product of the only other two inter race marraiges. The first one was between Luthien Tinuviel and Beren Erchamion and the second was between Idril Celebrindal and Tour. Arwens granfather was Earendil, son of Tour & Idril and her grandmother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Luthien and Beren. When Arwen and Aragorn wedded, they brought together the two branches of the same tree as it were.<BR> No.2 Who would Faramir marry if not Eowyn? In my opinion, they are perfect for each other.<BR> No.3 Arwen and Aragorn would be carefull to preserve the High Elven traditions, as far as Kingship went, and they also are both long of life. Therfore, Aragorn who is approx. 80+ in the FotR, could not marry Eowyn, who is at LEAST 40 years younger than him. (OK, admittadly, Arwen is millenia old, but anyway...).<P>Therefore, in my opinion, who else but Arwen could marry Aragorn? (And don't say Eowyn!)
Old 01-15-2003, 06:08 PM   #47
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I like the character Eowyn better, mainly because I love strong women so much. However, I'm worried for Arwen when Aragorn dies. The 2nd movie DID put that into a shocking perspective.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 06:38 PM   #48
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

eowyn is mortal like aragorn but arwen and aragorn love each other a lot so in a way you can say both of them are good for him
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 08:53 PM   #49
ViggoFan

Sting

I say Arwen, but I like Eowyn's character a lot. <BR>
Old 02-20-2003, 06:01 PM   #50
mylady

Silmaril

Personally, I would say Éowyn, who has always been my favourite character. However, I realise the epic reasons for Arwen and Aragorn to unite. I have written more extensively about this in a recently posted thread that would be too long for this particular discussion.<P>Did you know that Aragorn was originally meant to marry Éowyn? Until the last but one draft of LotR, Tolkien had Aragorn and Éowyn as a couple. However, he then conceived the idea of reuniting the houses of Isildur and ... Éarandil? I think that was the name ... , and voilà: Arwen. Maybe this is the reason that the Arwen character feels a little undeveloped, while the tension between Éowyn and Aragorn is palpable.<P>I always found Arwen rather boring. As a previous poster beautifully observed, her only occupation seems to be loving Aragorn. Oh, and <I>sowing</I>. She lacks initiative and integrity. Éowyn, on the other hand, is courageous, determined, and interesting. Her conflicted character is fascinating, and Aragorn, I dare say, is obviously drawn to her in some manner or the other. I think she is a challenge to him, and that cannot be said of Arwen. This is perhaps made more evident in the film than in the novel. <P>As to the personalities of the characters, I cannot help but think that Éowyn, who has experienced war and conflict, would understand him, an ex-ranger, better. Arwen, although very old and experienced, comes across as rather spoiled and over-protected, especially in the films. We are told that she is very wise, but she does not give that impression herself. Having her present at the council in Rivendell, speaking her mind, would have made her much more interesting, but I guess this was too non-Tolkien for the film makers to include it. <P>I am sorry, but as long as Arwen is who she is, I just cannot help being a bit provoked by her.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:29 PM   #51
Eressië Ailin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eressië Ailin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Eressië Ailin
Question

EOWYN ALL THE WAY!!!! I mean, what did Arwen ever do for Aragorn?!?! Arwen was just born a princess, but Eowyn is soo Aragorn's type!!!
Eressië Ailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:17 PM   #52
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Sting

I would say that Arwen is the best woman for Aragorn. I like her best in the movie and in the book. I like Eowyn to, but I think that she is the right woman for Faramir.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #53
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Eowyn should have married Theodred <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The only problem is that they're cousins!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:47 PM   #54
Frodo 007
Haunting Spirit

Location: Wellington, New Zealand (Middle-Earth Baby Yeah!!!)
Frodo 007 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Arwen is so much better for Aragorn than Eowyn!!!Those two have quite alot of history, while Eowyn & Aragorn have none
Old 06-11-2003, 02:02 AM   #55
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

Carlas, that actually was quite common in royal houses. It was to keep the throne in the bloodline.<P>Has anyone considered that Eowyn would have died of old age long before Aragorn did? Think about it. He's (mostly) Numenorean and they lived for a very long time by normal standards. In the beginning of FotR, Aragorn is 89. No, seriously. Add it up. Yes, it's sad, and yes, Arwen might have found someone else, but she hadn't in the hundreds of years she'd already been alive. Aragorn and Arwen were meant for each other. (BTW, thank you for mentioning Luthien's quest to help Beren. She rescued him, then they got the Silmaril.)
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:33 PM   #56
Gimli stonesheild
Pile O'Bones

Gimli stonesheild has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Eowyn would be the better choice becaues of many reasons<BR>-She could kick serouis orc butt<BR>-If Aragorn wanted to still be a ranger he and Eowyn could rome together and not need to carry around a 5 tone makeup and wardrobe bag, pluse servents or advisors and any other crap that Arwen would need.<BR>-she is mortal and live just as long a Aragorn then die as he dose.<BR>-she can fight<BR>i can go on for a nother ten pages, but i won't <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sleep! I feel the need of it. Yet my axe is restless in my hand. Give me a row of orc-necks and room to swing and all weariness will fall from me!"
Old 08-08-2003, 09:00 PM   #57
Arwen Eruantale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arwen Eruantale has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Arwen Eruantale
Silmaril

Arwen. I don't know why, but I just like her. Plus, I'm sure that just about everything that could be said about that story has already been written here somewhere. My only point for her is that she always loved, <I>only</I> Aragorn. Even before when he was just that twenty year old Estel, walking and singing contentedly in Rivendell. She loved him even more when he became the "somewhat grim to look upon" Strider... <P>I do love Eowyn. In fact, I am probably more like her than I am Arwen. But not for Aragorn, she didn't really love <I>Aragorn</I>, she wanted the glory and honour that was to be his. So she <I>thought</I> she loved him. <BR>I don't think it was in a really selfish or self-centered way, but she lived in turmoil for who knows how long with Grima around in Rohan and probably watched a lot of good men die because of him. I think she would have liked to change things a bit for her people, and being an image of honour and power would certainly have helped. She and Faramir were truely meant for eachother anyway...<P>Okay, hope all that made sense, I am so tired right now. Afraid of what I might find tomorrow...

Will you pay attention?
Arwen Eruantale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 08:47 PM   #58
Genevieve
Animated Skeleton

Genevieve has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

This is really a hard decision for me. I really think Arwen and Aragorn are right for eachother, mostly because they love eachother so deeply and I don't think that could be broken. Although I do think Arwen could've been a stronger character, I'm not really that bothered by it. <P> On the other hand, Eowyn is really stong and would be a good match for tough Aragorn. But if Eowyn and Aragorn did wed, Arwen would be heartbroken. And Aragorn would probably never get over his love for Arwen. So I think it was right that Arwen and Aragorn wedded. <P> Hope haven't repeated TOOO much of what other people said .<P>toodles
I have never failed to feel
Pain.
Genevieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:37 AM   #59
Elentári
Wight

Elentári has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>In the beginning of FotR, Aragorn is 89. No, seriously. Add it up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I did, and it came up as 87 ....oh well.<P>I think Arwen definately in the book, for uniting the lines and all that, but I really didn't like the way they portrayed her in the film. I liked Éowyn in the film a lot more than I did in the book, but hey.<P>And I was just wondering...you know in the Extended version (I can't remember if it was in the theatrical version) Aragorn speaks to Galadriel and says 'I would have her leave these shores...' etc etc, well I swear he was nothing like so considerate in the book. He never said anything of the sort. In the book he was saying something to the effect of 'You know all of my desire, but it is not for you to give it to me' Or something. And I swear in the book he was much more aloof and commanding. I mean come on, he could even argue with Gandalf! Frodo couldn't do that. And Aragorn never faltered when it came to the Paths of the Dead, but there's a movie still which shows Legolas saying he hasn't failed on his quest of the Paths of the Dead. grrrrrrr oh well.