The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2013, 04:05 AM   #1
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Resurrection of Numenor and Tar-Miriel

This is just a theory, but here is what Galadriel said to Treebeard at the end of the third book

Quote:
....and when the sumberged lands are raised from the sea, then in Tassarinan, we may meet in spring. Goodbye.
It looks to me like Eru is planning to resurrect Numenor and put Tar-Miriel (who died near the shrine, therefore closest to the Gods) as the first queen of resurrected Numenor

Thoughts?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #2
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tasarinan was in Beleriand in the First Age, not Nśmenor. Treebeard suggests to Galadriel and Celeborn that they will not meet again, to which Galadriel replies:
"Not in Middle-earth, nor until the lands that lie under the wave are lifted up again. Then in the willow-meads of Tasarinan we may meet in the Spring. Farewell!"
So she is more or less saying 'Not until Beleriand is above the sea'; which is to say never, at least in Arda Marred. I think it's generally meant to convey the notion that the world would one day be made right again, but not anytime soon.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #3
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I have always read that passage like Zigur. Galadriel is leaving and Treebeard is staying and only if the world is remade will they meet again. Now it is possible that if the world were remade Numenr might be to though that might be regarded as a failed experiment and not part of the original plan and let alone. To extrapolate a divine plan for a specific individual in a specific place from a reference to a different place in an exchange between two other chaacters neither of whom is Eru. is just far too much of a leap for me.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Saurondil
Animated Skeleton

Saurondil has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
This is just a theory, but here is what Galadriel said to Treebeard at the end of the third book

It looks to me like Eru is planning to resurrect Numenor and put Tar-Miriel (who died near the shrine, therefore closest to the Gods) as the first queen of resurrected Numenor

Thoughts?
Alternatively, Ar-Zimraphel may have been a sincere worshipper of Eru - then again, she may not. The idea is interesting in itself, even though Nan Tasarion is not in Numenor.

The point of the exchange is (AFAICS) to emphasise that, within history, what is looked for will probably not happen - it must happen "beyond" history.

Last edited by Saurondil; 07-13-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Saurondil is offline   Reply With Quote