The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 PM   #2801
Boo Radley
Wight

Boo Radley has just left Hobbiton.
Hey there, Hi there, Ho there.
Call me Boo.
I'm from Akron, Ohio (if you can believe that).
Been a fan of Tolkien for about... 35-36 years, so you know I'm WAY old.
Looks like a nice place to enter discussions of Middle Earth and such.

The thing that really blew me away about the Silmarillion is that in it, the universe is created through music.
What a concept!

If I'm not here, I can usually be found over at the Battlefront.com forums.
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #2802
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome! Yes, wasn't that AMAZING??? I love music, so... yeah.
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #2803
Boo Radley
Wight

Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldmaiden4xsword
Speaking of which...
I remember back about a bazillion years ago when I was a beardless youth and a callow boy in college... both of us listened to an album (remember those?) entitled "Songs of Middle Earth", I believe, by some composer named Donald Swann.
My Google-Fu, isn't the greatest and I can't find anything on it, except that it did exist as an LP.

Ever heard of it?

It consisted of a single piano and baritone vocalist and it was really pretty cool.
Here's what it had on it:
1. The Road Goes Ever On
2. Upon the Hearth the Fire is Red
3. In the Willow Meads of Tasarinan
4. In Western Lands
5. Namárië
6. I Sit Beside the Fire
7. Errantry

I'd really like to find a copy.

p.s. This black background is really doing a number on my aged eyes.
Just thought I'd mention...

OH! And I just remembered... it also has Tolkien reciting his poetry on the flip side!!!

Last edited by Boo Radley; 03-17-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:00 AM   #2804
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Hi there, Boo, and welcome to the Downs! The book and recording you remember is called 'The Road Goes Ever On'; Swann composed the melodies to Tolkien's poetry, and in one case, Tolkien himself sang him the melody as he imagined it, and Swann wrote it down. I own the book with the notes and have enjoyed playing them; except for "Errantry", which has a more difficult piano accompaniment, they're not hard to play for an average pianist. I also have the recording; the singer is William Elvin (what an appropriate name, eh?!).

Tolkien and his wife Edith (who was herself an accomplished pianist) heard and enjoyed at least one performance of these songs - at their golden wedding anniversary, if I remember correctly.

More information can be found here:
Wikipedia entry
Donald Swann's website
Amazon

By the way, it's always nice to have new members who are old-timers to Tolkien! If you want to get to know the Downs' geezers, do look into The Tolkien Coming of Age Club, where we share our experiences - or just companionable silence, whichever we enjoy most at the moment.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #2805
Boo Radley
Wight

Thanks for all the info, Estelyn!
I'll have to see if it's possible to get a CD of the recording somewhere, as my turntable passed away several years ago.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #2806
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I got the Road goes ever on finally a couple of years ago when it was finally reissued. Fortunately since I am not even an average pianist it comes with a CD of the music played by the composer. I would like to hear the choral arrangement of Bilbo's last song sometime...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:42 PM   #2807
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Hey all newcomers!

Quote:
Oooo, yes I found that very fascinating!

By the way, I love To Kill a Mockingbird, Boo!
Nimmy
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #2808
Beren

Tolkien Hello All

My name is Beren. Is Luthien around? I have been looking for a site like this for a LONG time, and am happy I have found this. Hope to talk to you all!

-Beren

~Elen sila lumenn omentielvo~
Old 03-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #2809
Gil-Galad
Psyche of Prince Immortal

Location: Above a Parapet Obvious exits are: North, South, and Dennis
Gil-Galad has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via MSN to Gil-Galad
Welcome to the downs Beren, and i'm certain we have a couple Luthiens kicking around here, just check the members list at the top and have fun
Old 03-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #2810
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
Welcome, Beren. Yeah, lots of luthiens around....
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #2811
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Silmaril

Welcome, Beren, I hope you'll enjoy it here.

Shh... hint: this is your last option to leave. This site is so great that if you don't leave now, you'll never be able to do it. It is something like with the Silmarilli, you see...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #2812
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, folks. I'm pretty new and have only made a handful of posts thus far, so I thought I'd chime in.

I love The Lord of the Rings (obviously), but I'm quite possibly a bigger fan of the The Silmarillion, where I first glimpsed into the sheer scope of Tolkien's creation. The mythological backdrop and the gradeur of the ancient lore really grabs me.

The few members I've spoken to have been very knowledgeable and helpful, and on the whole I am impressed with this gathering of fans and intellects.
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:05 AM   #2813
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Welcome Beren and Maglor! Enjoy your stay!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 05:38 PM   #2814
Morwen
Shade of Carn Dűm

Morwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a bit, ventured a couple posts, well 4 actually I think and now I'm introducing myself.

I first read Lord of the Rings when I was 14 and I remember thinking "This is an amazing story". So I was thrilled to find out that there were more books/info on Middle Earth and I've been enjoying Barrow Downs very much especially the Chapter by Chapter Threads.
Morwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #2815
Finduilas
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Home. Where rolling green hills and clear rivers are practically my backyard.
Finduilas is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Greetings and Salutations... I'm new.

I have.. liked, loved, enjoyed the Lord of the Rings since I first read it. I must say this shamefacedly, I haven't been able to get through many of the other Tolkien books, except the Silm. once, and the Hobbit several times. I do have 7 of his books on my list to read, but that doesn't mean I'll get through all of them.

That's all I have to say for now. So farewell.

--Finduilas--
Finduilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #2816
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Welcome to all new members, and may you enjoy yourselves here.
Maglor, great avatar by the way, I don't know why, but just as I saw it, I though of Turin Turambat...probably because of the black in the picture
Old 03-23-2007, 06:42 AM   #2817
Maglor
Pile O'Bones

Maglor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might
Maglor, great avatar by the way, I don't know why, but just as I saw it, I though of Turin Turambat...probably because of the black in the picture
Well, thanks! I love Ted Nasmith's "Maglor Casts a Silmaril into The Sea"...makes for a great cover for the Sil too. But I do appreciate Turin as well, and I can see how you'd get that initial impression (I know...the black).
Maglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:04 AM   #2818
Requiem

Good evening. I am a long-time fan of the series, but this is my first time in the forums. I stumbled upon it by chance, actually.

I have read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Tolkien Reader, Farmer Giles of Ham, and Smith of Wootton Major. I am still trying to work my way through The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. I've been stuck in The History ofGaladriel and Celeborn for months now...

As you proably have guessed, I am more of a fan of the books then of the movies. I was quite upset when I saw that The Voice of Saruman was taken out of the films, and when it was in the Extended DVD, I was happy, but then downcast when they killed off Saruman so soon. I really enjoyed his last ditch efforts in that chapter in the book...

And now I go to bed, seeing as how it is *very* late. Good night!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #2819
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

Hey, newcomers! I hope to see you around!
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #2820
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dűm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the 'Downs, Requiem, Maglor, and everyone else!
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dűr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 AM   #2821
Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja91
Welcome to the 'Downs, Requiem, Maglor, and everyone else!

what he said...

boy that never gets old...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #2822
MaskedNicci
Pile O'Bones

Location: At that in-between place between fantasy and reality - between grown-up and child.
MaskedNicci has just left Hobbiton.
Hey, fellow travelers! I'm MaskedNicci - most call me MN. And I may be younger than a lot of you, but I assure you, I am at least decent in company. I'm not new to forums, and I read my dad's old and worn out 'Lord of the Rings' set about...hm...I think it was four and a half years ago. I read the series twice or so, and I loved Shelob's lair the best. After that, I discovered the Hobbit, and it has been my favorite of Tolkien's work since, which is possibly removing me from the cliché "Favorite book? Well, it's LOTR". My favorite is the Hobbit, which makes a world of a difference, right? I've tried reading Silmarillion, but I wasn't able to make it far. I want to be able to comprehend and enjoy it for what it is, instead of rushing through it for the simple fact of being able to say I've read it.

I'm also into musicals, have a fetish for vampires, werewolves, and mythical creatures. I love to read the older literature, because I find the air of the language so poetic - which has resulted in my writing style being very formal and detailed. Which brings me to the next 'me' part of this post.

I long to be a writer of fantasy/mystery novels, and this has always been my dream. I've written mere fanfiction thus far, and it is usually ignored and avoided because of the excessive length of my chapters! I love creating these new worlds with beauteous characters for others to envy and enjoy. It's just always been that way for me, as natural as breath itself.

Finally, I'm glad to be on this site, as the colors rock, the place looks lively enough, and it's well-run from what I've seen. And who doesn't want to find a well-run place to talk about their obsessions?

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent. - Victor Hugo

Last edited by MaskedNicci; 03-30-2007 at 01:24 PM.
MaskedNicci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 01:26 PM   #2823
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Welcome to the Downs MaskedNicci!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #2824
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Hi to all. Just joined this week and am enjoying the atmosphere greatly. I discovered JRRT right out of college in 1971 when I wanted to read anything but the dry text material I had isolated myself with for the last four years. LOTR is my favorite book. Love the films also - hope that does not anger anyone. I see books and films as two very different things and a film as a slightly different way of telling the same story in a different voice. Saw the musical in Toronto and thought it was pretty bad. Looking forward to HURIN and look forward to the discussion here.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #2825
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Welcome Sauron the White. Oh, and don't worry, I am sure there are many people who like the films...

Not me, though. So stay away from me with the films!

Nah, just joking. I actually think more like you do, only preferring the books a little bit more. But especially the Fellowship is quite fine to watch. So don't worry and hope you enjoy your stay here
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:07 PM   #2826
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up What a short post. Dang I'm exciting.

Welcome to the Barrow-Downs!

Nimmy
Old 04-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #2827
Gothbogg the Ripper
Wight

Gothbogg the Ripper has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, I'm an old member who was banned in 2004 on trumped up charges. Just thought I'd drop in and say hi. Hi.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #2828
Gil-Galad

welcome back Gothbogg!
Old 04-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #2829
ElvenHokage

White Tree Yo!

I'm ElvenHokage...(or Tsunade or Nuilanwen, doesn't really matter). Anyway I'm trying to reintroduce myself to Lord of the Rings, I was obsessed for two years and then quit cold turkey for awhile.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #2830
LadyMidnight

Hi Everybody!

Hello, I have been a fan of Tolkien ever since I read The Hobbit as a kid. Since then I have read and re- read everything I could get my hands on.
Over the years the philosophy behind Tolkien's myth making has fascinated me more and more. I have recently begun to read insightful analysis by Verlyn Fliger and others. However I don't know any other serious fanatics so here I am!

I'll look forward to having intelligent discussion with all of you, pleased to be here.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:12 PM   #2831
Boo Radley
Wight

And we're pleased to have you here, Lady Midnight.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #2832
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Welcome to all!!!

Oh, btw,...I'm back!! It has been a while so probably no one remembers me but It is good to be back folks!

Peace and God bless,
The Elf
Old 04-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #2833
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Hello to everyone!! I kind of stumbled upon this place from another forum. I so far recognize one person... Mr. Xyzzy.. I saw your post about this place @ PPT (I am Princess Miyu there.)

So yes, I am Isabellkya; I was introduced to Tolkien through my Calculus teacher, because he was a fanatic and always had Tolkien related bonus questions on all of his exams. Haha. So I read the books, mainly to answer the bonus questions; and have been hooked ever since then.

This looks like a great place, quite a bit to peruse. !
Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM   #2834
Boo Radley
Wight

If I may ask, Isabellkya... what kind of Tolkien bonus questions might you have gotten on a calc test?

The mind boggles.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #2835
Gil-Galad

welcome all

and wow, boo radley, you've just soared in the reputation...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #2836
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Non of you newcomers has stopped by my barrow and said hello! That is surely a mistake and therefor I am here to welcome you to these clamy barrows of ours, may you deaths be ghastly!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #2837
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
To answer you Boo; they were obviously not math related in any fashion. They tended to be pretty obscure questions; which weren't easily answerable. The one that sticks out in my mind the most; had to do with Gimli's father (Gloin I believe) and a war that he was in. It has been a few years since I have read any of the books, and so the information is not at the front of my consciousness.
Isabellkya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #2838
Boo Radley
Wight

Ah, good.
I was worried there for a second.
I mean, I've heard of new math, but Middle Earth math*?

(Hmmm... Middle Earth math... when I say that out loud, it just doesn't sound... right.)

And Gil-Galad... my reputation? Well, I always try to be affable and whenever possible, to smell nice. As my Great Aunt Ruth used to say, "You can be forgiven much as long as you don't smell bad".
Words to live by.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #2839
LjösÁlfr

I was registered at is Forum once earlier.... I was sort of wandering arround on my pc and I thought by myself : "Hey... Why the hell arn't you active on the Barrowdowns anymore?!". So bang! I registered again! .

Well I was planning to just be active on my old account, but then, I realized I didn't remember my username. And the first thing I did when I registered was seeing the "What Creature is Tom Bombadil?" thread (to which I have an awnser now by the way) which I starded myself , well, I didn't like my Old Username anyway.

Oh, and In the mean-time I'm still 14 and Dutch and everything, I do have gotten an obsession for Norse culture and languages... That's why my username is in Old Icelandic, it's ought to be translated as: "(a) Light Elf". (Snorri Sturluson called what Tolkien just named Elves "Light-Elves (Ljösálfar and he named Dwarves dark-elves" (Dökkálfar) or "Black-Elves" (Svartálfar).
Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #2840
Neithan Tol Turambar

intro

I will call myself Neithan Tol Turambar. I am very happy to be here at this site. I am fairly new to computers and internet technology and am learning quickly.
I am here, of course, because I love Tolkiens mythology. I have read Tolkiens works on Middle-Earth many times. I have recently read a biography of the man himself and found that with the biography, as well as the novels, I was more curious and had more questions after reading it than I had before. But I suppose that like most of you the cares and concerns of life have not afforded me half the time I should like to spend in Tolkeins world.
In my approach to my participation here I want to say that every opinion or insight or question I contribute will be biased heavily by these fundamental opinions regarding Tolkeins work:
1). I love Tolkeins work passionately and profoundly. I believe that it is divine revelation.
2). I reject any reference to Christian allegory within Tolkeins work.
and thirdly,
3). I abhor any commercialization of his work.

I know that sounds pretty austere, but I can't help it. I really care about Tolkeins work and would not see it cheapened, or changed, not one word, or exploited in any way by those who love it less than I. Because if they loved it as much as I then they would know that it's greatness is far beyond everything I have within myself in total, and only the vilest and most atrocious arrogance could convince a man that he could by adjustments, great or small, improve upon the work of Tolkein.
My feelings concerning the movies and other commercializations of Tolkeins work could be compared to an eleventh century popes feelings about Catharism.
Having said that, I wonder if I really need make any other contribution here?
Let me think about it. Thank you for the site. It's really cool.

Last edited by Neithan Tol Turambar; 04-07-2007 at 10:38 PM. Reason: grammer