User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2004, 03:40 PM   #81
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Jynne

They were back on the ship now. Marreth was in a nasty mood because the filthy pure ones had escaped. Jarlyn's face wore an I-told-you-so mask. Jynne glared moodily at the both of them from under his heavy brows.

Jarlyn. Jynne's eyes narrowed, and his lips slid into a sneer. The dog. Accusing him of cowardice. Always looking at him suspiciously. Jynne made ready to spit, but caught himself just in time. No...it would not do to ruin all before the time came.

Marreth was pacing restlessly across the cabin, casting impatient glances as the sun went down. Suddenly, he lit a latern and winked it three times in succession. Jarlyn's brow arched, but Jynne peered at him.

That was a signal. Who could Marreth be signaling to? Jynne's eyes narrowed to black slits.

Jarlyn spoke up, "What are you doing, Marreth?"

Marreth turned, and flicked a glance at Jynne. A thin smile stretched the Corsair's face. Couldn't tell his dear pal what he was up to with nasty, slinking Jynne around, could he. Well...then nasty slinking Jynne would just leave.

Slipping to his feet, Jynne asked, "I'm going to get a tankard of ale. Want some anyone?"

Jarlyn -- how predicatble -- nodded and eagerly asked for some. Marreth glowered at him and then nodded his acceptance as well.

Hovering in the shadows, Jynne slipped through the door and made his way towards the cook's quarters. He took down three wooden mugs and notched the rim of one with a knife that had been left carelessly on a barrel.

Slipping his hand underneath cloak, he unhooked a small leather bag that was filled with even smaller bags. Carefully he selected one and extracted a soft green sprig with a cluster of small white flowers. A thin smile stretched his face.

With his long brown fingers, he began to shred the green leaves, pouring them into the cup. Tenderly he plucked the dainty white petals and let them float for a long while in the ale. He was not concerned with how long he was taking. Let them wait...let them talk of their plans...

When he was satisifed, he fished some of the leaves and petals out of the ale and threw them overboard. He didn't want the drink over powered...

Balancing the third mug on his head, Jynne slunk through the shadows until he reached the captain's lodge.

"What took you?" said Jarlyn with false cheer, for his eyes had narrowed when Jynne slipped in.

Jynne merely smiled and shrugged, handing the captain and Jarlyn their mugs. He slightly raised his mug in toast, and drunk deeply so that none would see the malicious grin.

Jarlyn yelped and said, "By a Dwarf's beard, I almost got a splinter!" He examined the mug carefully, and said, "Oh look! Something notched the rim...ah well...such is the life of a mug that is forever in battle or on a long journey." Winking a Marreth, he raised the mug to his lips, and drained it.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #82
Rinfanawen
Wight

Rinfanawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rinfanawen
Silmaril Diera

The sky had grown dark as a grim nightfall crept over the sea. Diera sat on the edge of the boat letting one leg hang over the side. She kept the other bent to where she could rest her arms and chin upon her knee. She sighed deeply. Their plan had been perfect. Nothing was going to go wrong. Nothing should have gone wrong, She thought in the depths of her foul mood. She looked out towards the land in anguish. She had failed. She had failed greatly, and now the Elves had escaped. “Despicable fiends,” she said aloud as if speaking to the Elves, but she knew none of them could hear her. It made her feel better though. Somehow, it just seemed to help.

Hardly any light could be seen on the shore. The pale light from the moon and stars cast dim shadows over some things upon the land. There never seemed to be enough light to make out distinct objects. She imagined what the shore looked like in daylight. Such a dreadful thought it was to her. Diera hated the land even more than she did the Elves. Feeling an ill feeling come over her, she stepped down from where she sat and laid on a bench nearby. The stars reflected in her dark eyes that night. Her sorrow-filled face glowed under the light of the moon.

Suddenly quick footsteps were heard on the deck and were followed by a friendly voice. “You look depressed,” Doyal commented as he approached.

Diera placed her wide-brimmed, brown hat firmly over her face. She sighed, “What would you know of it?” She turned her face to where one eye peered out from under the hat. She almost began to laugh at the comical expression on Doyal’s face.

“I know,” began Doyal, “that you are always depressed when things do not go as planned.”

“I am not,” argued Diera, hiding her face once again beneath the hat.

Doyal laughed. “Yes, you are. Just because you don’t show it half the time doesn’t mean you aren’t. I know you better than that.”

“Too well, I fear sometimes,” Diera said removing the hat from her face, and placing it atop her shoulder-length, brown hair. She sat up on the bench and let Doyal take a seat as well. Diera continued, “And I’m not depressed. I’m just frustrated.”

“Well, don’t be,” comforted Doyal. “It’s not your fault the Elves escaped, so stop beating yourself up over it. Besides, it’s wouldn’t be natural for Captain Marreth to give up so soon.”

Diera nodded in agreement, but a strange light on the ship caught her eye and her attention. What’s that? she thought, standing. The light flashed three times toward the land.

“What is it?” Doyal asked joining her.

Diera smiled wickedly. “A signal.”
Old 09-06-2004, 11:55 PM   #83
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Boarding the ship with a heavy heart, Luindal immediately retreated to his cabin and was surprised to find both Alahseey and Hilde waiting for him there.

Hilde scurried up to address him, still clutching her broom and cleaning rags. “I am pleased to see that you and the others came through alright. At least most of the others," Hilde nervously averted her eyes and pursed her lips, wondering if she should say more. News of the loss of the two men had already spread through the ship. She quickly added, “Don’t blame yourself, sir. Those caves were never safe. I’ll never understand why anyone would tell you to search there. Too dangerous, if you ask me. It's a wonder any of you made it out alive." She cast a ponted look at Alahseey and then turned back to Luindal, smiling. "I didn't think you'd mind, Captain. Elder Alahssey rushed here right after we got the news of the landslide. She seemed very anxious to wait and talk with you so I let her in.”

“That’s fine, Hilde. Would you like to go down and eat supper now? You’ve worked hard today too. I understand something is being prepared in the galley.”

“Yes, sir. That would be fine. I’ll get my things and go.” Hilde was about to slip out the door when Alahseey gestured with her hand for her to remain and explained, “What I have to say concerns both of you.”

First the Elder questioned Luindal, “You are alright? And the men? After what happened....”

“As well as can be expected. We found no sign of the Stones and two of our party were swallowed up by waters that flooded the side tunnels: one of the Elves from Rivendell and his Lossoth companion”

“Sadly, we have heard. The Elders have sent someone to speak with the family of the man who was killed. The caves seemed like such a promising place to search. Yet the Elders debated whether to send you there first because of the dangers. Still, we felt there was a real possibility of finding the Stones.”

Luindal sighed and said, “Promising or not, we found nothing.”

“Aye, and the Council of Elders met again this afternoon, trying to decide where you should search next if you returned with your hands empty. Some said you should head straight to the Bay and begin to plumb its depths before the waters became too cold. But then I remembered this.”

She put her hand in her pocket and withdrew an oblong-shaped rock that was no larger than a Man’s palm, on which could be seen inscribed letters. Luindal reached out to finger the piece, then peered at it more closely.

“These are Elvish runes….fragments of a script that would seem to come from a time even before I was born.” He traced the letters with the tip of his finger.

“Aye, it looked peculiar to me too. And I have seen others like it in the same area. When I showed the letters to the Elders, one of them thought it looked like the script he’d seen you and the other Elves use. This comes from a place north of here, about a one-day trek, a stretch of coastline along the Bay that has already seen much ice and snow.” With that Alahseey drew out a map and pointed to the spot where she had found the strange stone. She handed the paper to Lindal to keep and he carefully circled the spot on the map to which Alahseey had referred.

“You think some of the shipwrecked things made their way to this point?” he queried.

Alahseey shrugged her shoulders, “Perhaps. I have seen some strange things in this region. And, if that is so, it is possible the Stones could have landed there too. It is a land both Hilde and I know well, for we both hail from that portion of the Bay. My reindeer herds spend the summer there. The two of us could easily lead you north.” Hilde smiled and nodded her head in agreement.

Luindal remarked, “This seems like a good idea. And, for now at least, I would rather wait to search the Bay. But we need to rest and recover. It would do no good to lead the men out when they are still exhausted and disheartened. I would say two days' rest are needed.... I will tell them to be ready on the third morning to set out for this northern shore, and to plan to stay overnight there.”

“Yes,” added Hilde, “I’ll be glad to help scout the passage and, once we've gotten there, can show you how to build an ice trench, to keep your men warm and comfortable thoroughout the cold night.”

Luindal had to smile at the thought of an ice trench being called warm and comfortable. But he was not unhappy with the suggestion to search further along the shore, since they still had not come up with a practical plan on how to search for the Stones on the bottom of the Bay. "It is agreed then. I will speak with my crew later tonight."

Saying good night to Hilde and Alahseey, Luindal left the map on his desk and then wandered down towards Rôg's cabin, knocking on the door. But before the Shapechanger could respond, the Captain slipped his hand into his pocket and felt the scrap of fabric and button that he'd picked up in the cave. Perhaps, Rôg could tell him which of the men had lost it....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-07-2004 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #84
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arry has just left Hobbiton.
Carandû set aside his blade on the coverlet of his bunk. He’d honed the edge to razor sharpness and now he took up his knife to do like. ‘You know, brother,’ he said as he ran the edge this way and that across the whetstone, ‘perhaps we should speak with the Captain about our suspicions.’ He took his oiled rag and wiped along the blade of the knife, removing the metal scrapings. ‘I’m sure he has thought along these same lines himself, but I’d feel better if he heard what we had thought on it, also.’

‘Annû held up a fistful of arrows he still intended to sharpen. ‘Let me finish these,’ he put in. ‘Or better yet, let me stay here and you go down to the Captain’s cabin and speak with him.’ Carandû agreed, and putting away his knife and sword, pulled on his boots and headed down the passageway to see Luindal.

The door was ajar when he arrived. He called the Captain’s name and rapped twice on the door. There was no answer, but the door swung open and Carandû stepped in to see if Luindal might be in by any chance and had not heard him. A lamp, turned low, which sat on the desk, cast enough light for him to peek about. No one was in the cabin and Carandû stepped back toward the door to leave.

‘I should turn out the light,’ he thought to himself as he retreated back toward the desk. ‘Wouldn’t want it to be knocked over and start a fire.’ He leaned over the desk toward it, his eye caught by a map of the bay left lying atop it, a certain area circled for emphasis. ‘What’s this, I wonder?’ he said half aloud picking up the map to take a closer look.

The sound of footsteps stopping outside the opened door made him turn. There stood a Lossoth woman. Tall and thin, her grey hair in two braids, she watched him with narrowed eyes. Now what was her name?

‘Hilde!’ he said, laying the map down on the desk and turning off the lamp. Carandû stepped out to the hallway where she stood, closing the door behind him. She looked up at him, giving him an appraising look. ‘The Captain - I was looking for the Captain,’ he said to her. ‘Have you seen him?’

She shook her head and scurried off down the hall.

Wondering at her abrupt departure, Carandû returned to his room. ‘He wasn’t there,’ he told his brother. ‘It’ll have to wait ‘til tomorrow,’ he went on yawning widely. ‘I’m tired. Leave the lamp lit for Glahardir and his nephew. Then let’s turn in.’

Last edited by Arry; 09-08-2004 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:39 PM   #85
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Rôg heaved himself up from the chair at the knocking on the door. A sharp pain ripped through his upper left arm where Freyn had applied the poultice and bandage. He plopped his backside back on the chair’s seat and called out a rather annoyed ‘It’s open!’ to the unexpected visitor. He was still grumbling and rubbing his arm gently when the door swung open.

Luindal peeked round the edge, his brows raised in query. ‘You alright?’ he asked, seeing the Skinchanger’s pale face.

Rôg waved him in with his right hand. ‘I’ll be alright, or so Freyn tells me . . . in a day or so. Afraid I’ll be somewhat out of commission until then.’ Luindal had taken the other chair in the room and sat distractedly fingering something. Rôg cleared his throat, drawing the captain’s attention back to himself. ‘Was there something you wanted to speak with me about?’ He held out his open hand to Luindal as he continued speaking. ‘And what in blazes is that you have in your fingers. Why’s it so interesting?’

The scrap of thick brown cloth passed from the Elf’s fingers to his friend’s. Rôg looked it over, asking where the captain had found it. Once told, Rôg pursed his lips and mumbled a something under his breath. ‘You found this in the cavern?’ he asked. ‘How interesting!’ His fingers rubbed over the small, worn design on the button. ‘It's hard to see, but I could swear that this engraving is a southron motif. A seabird in flight . . . a favored one among the seamen there – brings good luck to its wearer. Interesting . . .’ he trailed off, handing the cloth back to Luindal. ‘The color of the material is similar to that I glimpsed on one of the figures I glimpsed in my unfortunate attempt to get us help. Of course, brown is a very common color. The two are probably unrelated.’

Luindal tucked the returned scrap into his pocket as Rôg reached for a small notebook which lay on the bunk behind him. ‘I’ve been giving some thought to searching the bay . . .’ The Elf spoke up before Rôg could finish his sentence. ‘We may not need to,’ he said, filling Rôg in on what the Lossoth elder, Alahseey had shown him, and where she proposed the Elves should search next. ‘She offered to lead us there in a few days.’

‘May fortune smile on us, then,’ commented Rôg. ‘But . . . in case she turns her fickle face away, come closer and let’s look over these things I’ve jotted down. I’ve been talking to Bear about some of this; he’s given me some ideas.’ He turned the notebook around so that it faced Luindal, and placed it on the table between them. His inkstained forefinger pointing to the diagrams, he laid out some ideas he had had for both himself and for any Elf who might consider himself a strong enough swimmer.

Luindal perused the drawings carefully. ‘A seal and bear’s fat, eh . . .?’
Old 09-07-2004, 03:17 PM   #86
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The door to the hut flew open as Tarn unlocked it and stormed in. All that effort and those fools had escaped. They had found nothing and he hadn’t even had a chance to train his seals today. He threw the helmet into a corner, letting go some of his temper, and grasped hold of a lantern from a hook on one of the great whale bones which served as beams to hold up the roof. The lantern was a crude object, but filled with flammable whale oil, a fuel that not all the Lossoth could afford; it gave off a warm light when Tarn ignited it with an ember from deep within the dormant fire. He was frustrated about the events of the day, but his immediate concern was to get the fire going again. He turned over the embers and gradually added more fuel until he had a blaze.

Tarn busied himself with preparing a supper of coarse, flat bread, smoked herrings and warmed goats milk. He ate slowly, staring into the flames of the fire and thinking about the caves. Faces danced in the blaze and his thoughts turned to the Corsairs and Elves, and their determination to get these stones. He wanted to find them, but that was for his own ends, as they had made the promise of weapons, and maybe power, but he puzzled over the possible nature of these stones, and why these fine people were prepared to risk so much to get them. His seals could find them any number of treasures in this cold sea, but it did not seem that they wanted mere riches. The thought came to him that he ought to go to the Corsair ship, as there would no doubt be more goings on.

As he thought about what was the best course of action there was a loud and brutal knocking at the door. Putting the empty plate down he went to see who dared to disturb his rest. It was Tarlsson, holding Thynne firmly by the collar.

“So, the boy is back?” said Tarn, standing tall in the doorway. “Come in and explain”

Tarlsson was drunk, as usual, and the boy was red-faced, not daring to look at Tarn. “I found him not long ago. Was trying to have a quiet drink and in he comes. Course I asks him what the blazes he’s doing wandering, hasn’t he got work to do, and he says he thought he’d have to find some place of his own to sleep. Finds a boat to sleep in he does. Then he says he woke up and he’s been looking for you most of the day. I say how can he have been? You’re not hard to miss. And I don't doubt you've been looking for his lazy hide, too.”

Tarn realised that the lad had been telling the truth. How could he have found him if he was hidden in the caves? And he hadn’t told the lad he was to sleep in the hut while he was working for him. Still, it was right that he be shown some discipline in front of his father. Bending down and staring Thynne straight in the face he coldly told him that if he was to do such a disappearing act again then he’d be left in the Caves of the Dead. Alone. Thynne shivered, and continued to look at the floor.

“Been trouble down there I hear tell, today,” put in Tarlsson, proud that he had some gossip, and placing a foot inside the hut.

“I know. Goodnight,” said Tarn coldly, trying to shut the door on him.

“Elders have been meeting too. A right little chinwag,” offered Tarlsson, leaning his weight against the door and holding it open. “Someone’s dead, so the story is saying.”

“I know Tarlsson, but I have to have some words with your lad. Strike while the iron’s hot. You know.” It was an excuse, but Tarn did not want the man in his hut tonight, not if he decided on heading out to the ship again. Hearing that his son was to be scolded, Tarlsson nodded, and with a failed attempt to slap Tarn on the back in understanding, which missed due to his drunken state, he turned and left.

“Go and make yourself a bed in the corner,” Tarn grunted to Thynne. He had no intention of punishing the lad in any way beyond making him fear that he was going to reprimanded. Besides, he was thinking about the fact that someone was dead. He had thought they had all got out. Then it hadn’t been such a waste of a day, but he was sure there would be more to learn at the ship.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:32 PM   #87
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Nilak returned to his hut in a sour mood. Everything had been going great until the Elves managed to escape the cave. Everyone was still wondering on how. Nilak was furious because that meant Marreth would have his crew and the Lossoth working harder to get rid of the Elves.

That was time they could use looking for the Stones. Marreth had underestimated the Elves today and he would probably underestimate them again before all was over. Nilak wanted to return to sending his seals out. Time was being wasted getting rid of the Elves and soon it would be impossible for both sides to search for these Stones.

Nilak made up his bed close to the fire. He laid down and just watched the flames dancing about. Won't be able to sleep watching that, he thought. Turning over did not help much. He now saw the shadows the fire cast onto the wall. Nilak felt like he would never be able to sleep, but eventually he drifted off.

Last edited by Kitanna; 09-10-2004 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:10 AM   #88
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Freyn was on the deck, leaning against the cool wood of the railing of the ship, his eyes closed, smiling at the gentle sway of the waters. His aged back ached from the hours he had spent hunched over the exploring party, bandages sore bones and cut skin. His thoughts dwelled too on the one they had lost, and he felt a great twinge of grief.

“He was too young…” he mumbled aloud, and a few heads turned.

Lowering his gaze to the floor, he stretched out his limbs, which gave small comfort. He threw around in his mind the happenings of the day, trying to shake the grey feeling when he thought about that landslide.

‘My warnings ring true…’ he thought to himself.

Even so, the miracle that the rest of the crew had come to rescue them was a marvel to him indeed. Freyn had seen many a man lost on a journey never to be found. Seldom had he heard of a successful rescue, or of one so marvelous. He smiled a little at this, while he tightened his coat about his shoulders and stood up.

‘Let us hope we have better fortune in our search tomorrow, and not have to rely on fortune for the rescue’ he thought.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:37 PM   #89
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Dark-Eye Galhardir and Rodhal

"Come here Rodahl," Galhardir said to his nephew. He was relieved to see him again and very proud to hear that Rodhal had managed his tasks on the ship earlier that day. "Are you hungry?" he asked. Rodhal nodded. He was indeed, very hungry. "Anything to drink?" Galhardir then asked him when Rodhal had been served bread and meat. "Yes, please," Rodhal answered, polite as always.

When both of them had settled with good food and drink, Rodhal was curious about Galhardir's adventures in the cave. Galhardir stopped for a moment. He didn't want to frighten the boy, so he decided to tell Rodhal about the other parts;

"We, the eleven bothers and myself went into loads of different tunnels, caverns and so on," Galhardir started. "It was very dark, oh, believe me; very dark," he continued. Rodhal's eyes widened, he was already caught up in Galhardir's speech. He was fascinated. “One can’t even imagine the darkness, it has to be experienced. And even then, it’s unbelievable. It’s the darkest place you’ll ever know….”

"We bore torches, all of us, but still we found fit quite difficult to see anything. Annû, poor thing managed to hurt himself.." Galhardir told the young boy who was still listening to what he said, eagerly. "Did you see anything...dangerous?" Rodhal burst out. Galhardir used a moment to think about his next reply. "Oh, no...Nothing “dangerous”. I'm thinking that all those old tales about the caverns are nothing but lies and fiction," Galhardir said, sipping his ale. Rodhal looked a bit confused, but Galhardir soon understood that it was not confusion, rather pure disappointment. "Oh wait...There was something...maybe not dangerous...but quite fascinating," Galhardir then said, just to cheer up the boy; he remembered the fossils Carandû had found. "Oh, please do tell, uncle," Rodhal cried fully of impatience.

"Carandû, you remember him, don’t you?" Galhardir started. The boy nodded, as eager as before. "Well, he found an interesting stone in one of the caverns.." Galhardir then continued. "What was on the stones?" Rodhal asked who had already understood that there was something about the stones his uncle had mentioned. "Fossils," Galhardir stated. "Fossils...."

"Really?" Rodhal asked, interested in Galhardir's story. "Really," Galhardir said finally. "I saw it with my own eyes," he continued. "But what was it?" Rodhal then asked. "I'm not sure...but there were some lines...or something of that sort," Galhardir then told the boy, who was even more impressed by what Galhardir told him than he would have thought.

"Now, eat you meat," Galhardir said as he saw that Rodhal's plate was still full. "I will, uncle," he smiled. "It's your turn to tell me how you climbed up to the look out post..." Galhardir then said teasingly. "Oh, I had almost forgotten!" Rodhal exclaimed.

Rodhal’s story then followed, something Galhardir found almost as interesting as his own story about the fossils.

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-16-2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:13 AM   #90
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Marreth grinned broadly as he walked back down the road from the place of his meeting with the mysterious Lossoth. Once again, their meeting had been a very enlightening one. Marreth had learned that the Elves aimed to search in an area of the bay about a day’s journey further to the north. He had even been presented with a hand drawn map that had the exact location circled. Apparently, some wreckage had been found there bearing Elvish script. Marreth had been extremely disappointed when the Elves were able to escape the cave, but he realized that they must be gotten rid of if the Corsairs were to find the Stones.

He reflected on his good fortune in having such a useful informant. We will get the better of these Elves yet! And this time I will not be so easy on them.

Returning to the ship, Marreth immediately summoned his men together for another meeting. He even sent a special messenger out bearing messages for those Lossoth who were presently off the ship, having chosen to return to their own families and kin for the night.

At first, the crew looked sour, but were soon brought around by promises that their next expedition would prove far more enjoyable than the one they'd had that afternoon. Marreth leapt onto the top of a barrel, waving his sword in the air, and loudly proclaimed, “Two days from now the Elves will be searching an area of the bay one day north of here. Tomorrow, we will rise and depart, getting there long before them and drilling holes in the ice. We will cover the holes over with snow, and the nightime flurries will also help hide any indication of our presence. Then we sit back, waiting for the fools to arrive and fall through. After a few have taken a bath in the freezing current, we attack. Do not stop until the snow is soaked with the blood of them all. Then we may return to looking for the Stones uninterrupted and even line our pockets a bit with any gold or magical implements they have brought along in their packs and pockets.”

Cheers and howls of jubilation rang through the night air. The men chanted Marreth’s name as praises to the dear Captain echoed through the crowd. Marreth put up a hand for silence and then continued, “We leave at dawn tomorrow. Dress for cold weather, bring picks and axes plus plenty of weapons. We shall teach those Elves respect for the fine crew of Captain Marreth!”

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 09-09-2004 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:59 AM   #91
Child of the 7th Age

"A seal and bear's fat, you say...." Luindal looked over at his friend and smiled. "Phew! I'll not be making many new friends that way, but I just might be persauded. I would relish the chance to get in the water and actually do something. Sometimes, I think Cirdan made a mistake naming me 'captain'." Luindal said the words in seeming jest, but the serious expression on his face belied his tone.

He paused a moment and then went on, "All this thinking and puzzling things out makes me yearn for my old life, where I actually got to do something instead of interminable planning and straining for answers to impossible questions! Rôg, my friend, I would welcome the chance to take on the waters of the bay. And I must admit I'll look forward to seeing the startled faces of some of the crew when they find out what we have planned. For now, though, let us keep these thoughts to ourselves. For the next two days, we will rest and then set out north. Possibly our quest will end right there...."

Luindal shook his head and yawned, adding, "Now I am off to bed..."

"But I thought you folk never got tired or slept?"

"Whoever told you that was exagerating a bit. I have had a long day and will welcome a chance to rest." With a nod to his friend, Luindal departed and traced his way back down the hall. The corridor was but dimly lit. As he turned the corner, he thought he heard a sound coming from the direction of his room. But, by the time he got there, everything was quiet. Pushing the door open, he lay on the bed and soon fell asleep.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-10-2004 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #92
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eye The trek north:

"Captain Marreth, Captain Marreth, you told me to wake you now sir," a young crewmember said as he tapped the captain on the shoulder.

"Thank you mate," said Marreth, still half sleeping. "Now go get ready to leave. We have a day's jouneying ahead of us. Opening his eyes, Marreth sensed a dim light washing over his head. The dawn sun had not yet peaked its head over the horizon. Marreth rose and began loading his camping pack with coats, blankets, food, and any other materials he might need for the short journey. Although he was quite tired, Marreth packed with zeal, because he was eager to have another opportunity to eliminate the intruders. After a few minutes, the Captain finished packing and, after a small breakfast of bread and salted pork, walked onto the deck.

The day was clear and cold, but not so frigid as some of the recent ones had been. In a booming proclamation, Marreth declared that the time had come to depart from the ship. After the plank was lowered and all the crew got off, the trek to the north began. The trip proved to be unexpectedly tame, with only occasional slips on patches of snow covered ice. There were no encounters with the enemy, and the most vicious animal that anyone spotted was a lone snow rabbit and a distant herd of caribou. The men traded quips with each other, boasting of the rich rewards they would reap back home in Umbar, if only they could find the lost treasure Stones.

The Corsairs had reached the spot by early evening. It was very desolate, and Marreth never would have thought to look in this remote region if the strange Lossoth had not told him about the Elves' plans to search it.

"This is the place," said Marreth, glancing down at the map that the stranger had drawn for him. "Make camp here and we'll begin drilling the holes in the morning. It's to dark to begin now." With a grin he observed, "Some of you dandies might fall in, freeze, and then sink to the bottom like an anchor. We want to reserve such a special welcome for our Elvish friends. "

Marreth went out by himself and took a look at the snowy bluffs along the shore and the wide expanse of ice that spread out for a long ways into the water. He observed that, underneath the sheets of ice, the water was swift and deep. Anyone who went through would have a hard time surviving, he noted with satisfaction.

Then he swang back to the campsire and began building his own hut by digging a hole in the ground and mounding snow bricks on the sides and across part of the top. He did just as the stranger had suggested. Each of the men followed his lead. After he finished constructing the shelter, he spread a blanket across the bottom and laid down to sleep. This infernal land was so much colder than his home in Umbar. And the snowpit was not nearly as snug as his bed on the ship, but Marreth paid little heed to the cold and the snow that was coming down again for he had his vengence to warm him.

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 09-10-2004 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:54 AM   #93
Child of the 7th Age

Question Luindal:

Luindal awoke with a start. Outside, it was still dark. He peered out the ship's porthole and glimpsed the outline of the Bay: the sun was just rising and the waters appeared placid. Still, there was a feeling of uncertainty in the pit of his stomach. He hastily tossed on his clothes and pushed back the door to walk into the corridor, continuing down the hall and climbing up the ladder to the main deck.

A brisk walk around the deck gave no hint of anything unusual. Most of the crew of the Spirit were asleep, worn out from their exertions the day before, or just rousing from their beds. The crew assigned to the kitchen had already begun their labors, which he could tell from the enticing aroma of breakfast that wafted over to the spot where he was standing. Yet, despite the apparent calm and usual routine, Luindal felt uneasy. He scanned the Bay, but, here too, all appeared quiet. One or two Lossoth fishing vessels, the last ones sailing before the winter, were bringing home a final catch.

Luindal plucked the spyglass from his vest pocket and adjusted the tube, focusing the lens on the Corsair ship. The ship looked quiet enough, with only one or two pirates visible on deck. He swung the instrument around and did a general sweep of the beach. This time he stopped, refocused his lens, and looked a second time as his jaw dropped open. The entire entourage of Lossoth and Corsairs appeared to be hiking north along the Bay, heavily laden with tools and weapons and bound for some unknown destination.

Surely, this is coincidence. I haven't even told my own men where we are going yet. They must be trekking somewhere on their own to search for the Stones, or perhaps going off on a hunting expedition to replenish supplies. But an uncomfortable sensation persisted in his stomach. In frustration, he pushed his left hand deep into his pocket and, by chance, felt the rough texture of the button and fabric that Rôg had said came from the south. He hadn't had time to think about it before, but it seemed unlikely the cave would house such a thing. When he had found the cloth, it had been dry. That meant the cloth would have had to get there quite recently, since otherwise it would have been soaked from the previous incoming tide.

Luindal spoke to one of the Elves on deck: "Please go below to rouse my trusted officers, as well as those Lossoth who have proven to be staunch friends. Ask them to report immediately to my cabin."

Privately he thought that they could ill afford to wait the full two days to depart. Tired or not, the Elves and Lossoth would make their preparations today and leave the next morning. Luindal was determined that they take extra precautions and travel fully armed. He was probably being overcautious, and all these extra preparations were not needed. But who knew? It was better to be prepared.

With this in mind, he beckoned another Elf to remain behind for a moment, leaning over and whispering something in his ear. The young Elf's eyes widened as he listened to the captain's words. "Twenty lengths of rope each thirty feet long? But, sir, we don't have that much in our supplies."

"I thought so," Luindal rejoined. "Go to the Elders and have them gather the ropes for us, and see if you can borrow one of those reindeer they have to pull a sledge. We will need to stack the supplies somewhere. And we may need that reindeer for other things as well." There was a grim edge in Luindal's voice.

"And what shall I say if they ask why I need these things?"

Luindal grinned back at the Elf, "Just tell them you have a captain who is slightly jittery and a bit daft, but you have no idea why he wants these things."

The young Elf nodded his head and beamed back, "That won't be hard, sir, seeing as I really have no idea what you'd do with this much rope and a reindeer."

"Go now, quickly, and do the errand quickly."

An hour later, the most trustworthy of the band had gathered together in Luindal's cabin. The Captain had finished explaining about the shoreline to the north where they would search for the Stones and how all should pack their bags today and prepare to leave in the morning.

After he had finished, he added, "We need to be very careful in the north. We have no ideas what these cursed Corsairs might do. Make sure to go fully armed. And I have another question."

He stopped for a moment, not quite sure how to phrase his words. In the end, he just said the thing straight out: "By any chance has anyone seen or heard anything suspicious or unusual over the last few days, something that caused you to take a look and wonder what was happening.... something you can't otherwise explain. If so, come speak with me today in the cabin....."

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-11-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #94
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Jarlyn's face was taught and white as he scrabbled at the ice with his hammer. His stomach was angry with something and his head was warm with fever. He had not been able to eat his breakfast for it had stubbornly refused to stay put in his stomach. Sweat pricked his forehead, and streamed down his back, even though the air was chill.

Swallowing, he tossed a chunk of ice feebly, and watched it skitter across the ice. A leathered hand dropped on his shoulder. Staring, Jarlyne glanced up and saw --

Jynne. That man who slipped with the shadows, became one with them, the man who had suggested the silly idea of blocking the elvish cave. All that work, for naught. Besides, it was bad form. Form in its very baddest, leaving such enemies to rot and die like that. At least give the vile things a fighting chance...He snorted silently to himself. "Swift and silent as a shadow, aren't you, Jynne?" he asked, tightly.

Jynne's face broke out in a wan smile, revealing yellowed teeth. Jarlyn shuddered. "It pays to be able to walk quietly, Jarlyn," he said softly.

Jarlyn glared back at him. "Walking quietly pays when only among enemies," he countered, trying to chuckle and failing miserably.

The barest grunt of a laugh escaped Jynne. "You feeling all right?" he asked. "You are in a muck of a sweat."

"Yes...I'm fine, thank you. Now, if you don't mind, we're supposed to be drilling holes so that the elves can take a bit of a tumble. Or is the sun too bright for you?"

He smirked as Jynne gave him a dirty look and skulked off to begin to drill another hole.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:07 AM   #95
Rinfanawen
Wight

Silmaril Diera

Diera crept slowly to the location she has selected to dig at. The snow covering the ice was so deep. Practically half of her tall, brown boots disappeared beneath the white blanket with every stride she took. Despite the fact that the wind was scarce, there was a deathly chill in the air. Standing in over a foot of snow did not help either. She was already beginning to experience why she especially did not like the cold. Nevertheless, she continued. Soon she approached her designated location. She threw her pickax on the ground while she rolled up the long sleeves of her blue shirt and brown, leather overcoat. Getting them wet with snow would not help come nightfall.

She bent down to grab her ax, her hands being covered by thick, animal-hide gloves. Diera struck the hidden ice firmly. Not even a crack was made...a small chip, maybe, have been broken off the top of the ice, but no breakthrough. She struck again with more force, but again with no luck. Obviously this will be harder than I imagined, she thought as she struck the ice again. I must hurry if ever I am to break through this glass. It very much was like glass, as well. It was a hard, cold glass that had been blurred and fogged by the frost. This would be a difficult task.

Diera began to chop away at the ice quickly, but with every swing she took, more and more snow and ice would fly up in her face. Eventually her arms, face, and legs were covered in snow that melted through her clothing. Even her hat now dripped onto her face. She stopped suddenly to notice a faint laugh in the distance. Turning, she saw Doyal, standing not too far away, mocking her condition. Diera lowered her eyelids in anger. Although he was only laughing in fun, not meaning to be cruel, Diera shot back a fierce frown. Doyal stopped laughing immediately and began digging his own hole once again.

“So much for staying dry,” Diera said to herself as she wiped the snow off her face. She rolled her sleeves down again, seeing they were wet already anyway, and continued hacking at the ice at a much slower pace.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:01 PM   #96
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Rôg sat in on a chair near the back of the room, massaging his left arm as he listened to Luindal talk. Search the shoreline? Rôg sighed with weariness at the thought of making that exertion. And sooner than expected, he thought, as the Captain spoke with some sense of urgency about preparing to leave in the morning. His eyes strayed about the room for any sign of Freyn. He would need another poultice applied to his arm before the company left on the search and perhaps a small quantity of that dried root to chew on . . . the one that eased the pain.

Luindal, he though, had finished speaking, Rôg stood up from his chair and made for the door. The captain’s final remarks though, made him stop and turn a frowning face toward him. What was all this about something unusual or suspicious . . . it was so vague a description, and yet the Captained seemed so eager for news of it . . .

Those gathered in the room moved uncomfortably in their seats - their heads craning this way and that to see who might have some understanding of what the Captain had said. There were many who shrugged their shoulders, and knowing they had naught to add stood to make their exit. There was one, though, one of the Lossoth, he thought, on the far side of the room who seemed to be nodding yes as Luindal made his request. He could not see who it was as he was swept out the door and down the hall by a group of Elves speaking eagerly of tomorrow’s undertaking.

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-12-2004 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 PM   #97
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

‘Now what do you suppose the Captain means by that request?’ Andtuariel had voiced the question the three male Elves had been mulling over themselves. Elwë shrugged his shoulders as she spoke. Most of his time had been spent in Andtuariel’s cabin, seeing to her comfort. Between the cool cloths for her ankle and the book he had taken up to read to her, he had not been out and about much – save to bring food to share with her or when he retired to his own cabin to rest at night. He turned to the two brothers, inviting them to share what they knew.

Annû was as perplexed as the two of them. He’d seen nothing strange on the ship, if that’s what the Captain meant. ‘You know, though,’ he said, tapping his brother on the arm. ‘You never did get to speak to the Captain, did you, about our suspicions of that rockslide that hemmed us in the cavern.’ Carandû shook his head. ‘He wasn’t there when I went to see him. And we haven’t had time today.’

‘What’s this about the rockslide and “suspicions”,’ interrupted Elwë. Annû filled him in on their thoughts about how the rockslide just didn’t seem as if it happened ‘naturally’. Why would the rocks fall down so conveniently in front of the cave entrance? No one in the cave had felt any tremors occurring that would have shaken the rocks loose.

‘The Captain’s probably already thought along these lines himself,’ added Carandû. ‘But we wanted to share our suspicions about it anyway.’

‘Well, then,’ said Andtuariel, motioning for Elwë to take her arm and help her up. ‘Perhaps this is your opportunity to tell him now.’ Annû offered his arm on her other side, assisting her, along with Elwë, to the door. ‘You’re probably right,’ said Carandû, as she hobbled along. He held open the door as they ushered her through, then followed along behind the other three. ‘We’ll just see you to your cabin,’ he continued. ‘Then, Annû and I can pay a visit to the Captain’s quarters.’

Last edited by Arry; 09-12-2004 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:54 AM   #98
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Freyn listened to all the Captain had to say, and slowly mulled it around in his head. The nights sleep had brought him little to ease his weariness, and his thoughts quickly became muddled. But, he could think of nothing to add in the way of a judgement, so silent he sat.

After all was said, he slowly made his way up on deck and peered about. The strng breeze seemed to clear his senses somewhat, and he smiled as he saw the other ships lightly bobbing about the waters.

'I think the Captain knows what is best....and I know little to naught of these Stones. He has the best judgement...' he said to himself.

Shaking out of his train of thought, he fumbled about in his pocket, making his way to one of his patients.

'Best to be useful...' he thought.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #99
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The morning sun shone through the snow shelter, illuminating the interior with an eerie blue light. Tarn rolled out from his thick fur sleeping roll and began to pull on the few clothes which he had removed last night. He wore all his outer clothes, but he had removed his boots as they had been known to freeze to sweating feet in the extreme cold of the night that could descend when camping out. Having suffered frostbite once, he was careful to avoid it again. He sat up, pulled his boots on and strapped fur leggings over his breeches. After pulling on his overcoat, he added a huge fur cloak over the top. These garments were made form the pelt of one of the great white bears and made naturally warm and camouflaging protection for a man out in the ice and snow.

Peering out of the shelter he saw that Thynne had begun a fire, contained within in a thick bucket, and had prepared breakfast. Both Tarn and Thynne were in their element out here; Tarn was born and brought up on the ice, and Thynne had been sent out to join hunts from an early age. They both followed the usual routines. But this was not routine, and Tarn’s eyes followed the Corsairs as they slipped and stumbled on the ice, eager to start their work. Some used pickaxes and hammers to try and break through. This would work, but Tarn knew an easier way. He sat and watched while he ate, and he noted that the lad, too, was watching them with curious amusement.

“Why do they work so hard?” said Thynne, “When there is an easier way?”

“Hmm. What do you say, Thynne? Shall I show them?” answered Tarn, looking at the lad with a wry smile.

“What would be in for us…I mean, for you?”

Tarn laughed and almost slapped the lad on the back, then thought better of it. “You’ve learned something from the trek yesterday I see.” Tarn had taken a little time during the trek to talk to Thynne and tell him some tales of his own adventures. They had had an effect and the lad now seemed eager to help. Tarn could see that Thynne was much like he had been when he was young, and he thought that by taming that rebellious streak he would end up with a very useful assistant. Thynne was beginning to feel proud that he was assistant to the man with the frightening reputation and tall tales.

Tarn strapped a pair of overshoes with spiked soles to his boots and taking hold of a long leather bag, he headed off to where the Corsairs were struggling to make holes. Thynne put a lid onto the bucket containing the fire and followed. Once out on the ice, Tarn took out his harpoon from the leather bag and began to poke around for a good place to begin. He stopped and motioned Thynne to put the bucket down. Out of the bag he took a long spike which had a spiral ground into it, a drill. He removed the blade from the end of his harpoon and fixed the drill onto it, concentrating carefully. He knew that some of the Corsairs were watching him and muttering about “that idle Lossoth”, but he knew they would think differently once he had got going.

Thynne stirred up the fire in the bucket, which had now died down to hot embers due to the lid restricting the air. When Tarn was ready he plunged the end of the drill into the bucket and held it for a minute before placing it firmly onto the ice and pushing down carefully but firmly. As the drill took hold, Thynne held it steady and Tarn moved it rapidly down, held it and then pulled it out quickly before it froze, reheating it and repeating the process several times. A drill-hole soon appeared in the ice and Tarn was able to leave the lad to knock it wider into a man-sized hole. The ice gave way easily, but not so much that it made fractures which would pose a danger to anyone working nearby.

Some of the Corsairs watched and Tarn came over to the group and started to drill similar holes for them. They had been using a drill, but had been unable to get it far into the ice. When they asked about Tarn’s method, he explained it and told them “It is how we hunt for fish under the ice”. He stood back and watched other groups work as he waited for the drill to reheat. He smiled when he saw the female officer again, this time hacking at the ice in frustration. He had thought of offering to help her, but seeing the anger in her face, he thought she was probably best left alone. One of the men offered him a drink from a flask and told him a joke and he turned back to the task. It was a good plan, but Tarn could see they would need a lot more holes for it to work.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #100
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Niluial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Niluial Send a message via MSN to Niluial
Sun rays entered the cabin early in the morning. Elwë stretched out his arms and yawned, quickly covering his eyes as they were not used to the light.

“Are you awake?” Andtuariel whispered from across the room.

“Yes. Good morning” he smiled sweetly at her. It had been odd lately after their kiss and yet that had said nothing about it, though one could see they wanted to talk about it.

“Breakfast is being served in ten minutes! I can’t wait for today.”

“I know…” Elwë shot out of bed, “You aren’t coming with!”

“My leg is much better, I will come with.”

Elwë eyed Andtuariel suspiciously. It was rather typical of her to prove that she was strong and by now Elwë knew not to argue and just let her do as she wished.

Everyone was jittery about the day ahead. Elwë had an odd feeling inside, a gut feeling as if something was wrong, something was going to happen. He brushed the feelings away probably just anxiety or nervousness kicking in.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:35 AM   #101
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Once they had departed from Elwë and Andtuariel, Carandû motioned for his brother to follow him down the passageway to the Captain’s quarters. He stopped just outside the door, as he had done the previous night. Once again the door was slightly ajar, and a lamp burned within. Carandû tsk’d, thinking the Captain had perhaps again left his cabin and left the lamp burning. But there was a noise inside, as of someone walking in the room, and the sounds of papers shuffling and a drawer being closed.

Annû squeezed past his brother, giving him a questioning look. ‘You were going to knock, weren’t you?’ he asked, raising his hand and tapping soundly on the door. ‘Captain? You in there?’

The door creaked open at the pressure on it from the knocking and Luindal’s voice could be distinctly heard as he bade them come in. ‘Just putting a few things away in my desk,’ he said, taking out a key and locking the drawer he’d just shut. ‘Be with you in just a moment.’ Several flat pieces of parchment were unceremoniously scraped from the table top and into the shallow drawer. And again the Captain locked them away. ‘Now what can I do for you two?’ he asked, one brow raised as he looked from one to the other of the brothers.

‘It’s about the caves,’ began Annu. ‘Carandu and I talked it over last night.’ He nodded at his brother. ‘We thought you probably already had thought about it,’ continued Carandû, picking up on his brother’s words. ‘But we wanted to give you our thoughts on it, too . . .’

Both brothers talked at length about their suspicions. Why had the rocks piled so neatly and conveniently in front of the cavern’s entrance? Why had no one in the cave felt any tremors if that is what caused the rocks to slide? And from his quick glances at the hillside above the cave as they’d left to head back to the ship, it had seemed to Carandû that a number of the rocks were pried out of the ground by some fair sized force, as there seemed to be some indents in the ground where they had lain.

‘And what about those blurry figures I heard Rôg tell you he saw hastening away from the hillside?’ finished Annû. ‘Seems to us,’ he continued, looking to his brother for confirmation, ‘that there were others there who meant us harm.’

‘My brother is far too kind in his words,’ said Carandû, stepping forward. ‘What we mean to say is that it is the southrons who compromised our exploring of the cavern. And by doing so, they killed our two companions.’ Annû nodded in agreement.

‘We mean to be fully prepared on our next outing, Captain,’ Annû said quietly . . .

Last edited by Arry; 09-14-2004 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:09 PM   #102
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Thynne worked hard hacking at the boreholes that Tarn had made. It was easy enough work for a lad of his age, indeed, he had done this task many times before, but he was making sure that he was seen to be putting an effort into his work. He thought again how lucky he had been when he had returned from his disappearing act. His father had boxed his ears, but Tarn had done nothing but act coldly towards him, and this was how the man normally acted even if he was pleased. And yesterday, as they walked up to the ice sheet, he had even told him some stories, about great whale hunts and cold journeys in boats, about fights and bets he had won, and about the treasures he pulled from the seas. His father never told him tales, he was always too drunk. He had been impressed and wished he could have adventures such as those he heard about.

He had been given some new clothes, too. They were old, and had been worn by someone else, but like most things Tarn owned, they seemed to be of good quality. His new fur breeches were thick, and best of all, they were made of pelts from the white bears. He couldn’t wait for the other lads to see him wearing them.

The holes in the ice widened easily, and as he completed each one, Thynne felt compelled to peer in to look for fish. It was habit. This was how fish was caught in the depths of winter, particularly in the northern reaches of the bay, and Thynne had joined many hunts, although none had been with his father. His belly rumbled; he hadn’t eaten for a few hours, and wondered if he could get away with dropping a line and fish hook into one of the holes to catch himself some dinner.

Checking his pockets, he found some twine, but he had nothing which would serve as a hook. He looked towards Tarn, who was back with some of the Corsairs, listening to their chatter. He wondered if Tarn would have a hook, but then realised that he’d best not go and ask him. He might be pushing his luck. “No“, he thought, “I’d best leave things be.” Yet he still looked into the hole hopefully, watching the dark waters swirling beneath. He thought he could see a fish, and crouched down, in case it came in reach of his hand, but it turned out to be a piece of wood, strangely carved, and before he had a chance to catch it, the water swept it away. “It wasn’t edible anyway” he thought, standing up and hoping that there would soon be a break for something to eat.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:27 PM   #103
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Marreth

Marreth pushed a heap of snow over the hole he had just dug with his ice pick and then evened it out to cleverly conceal all evidence of his meddling. The Corsairs and their Lossoth allies had riddled the snow-covered ground with a number of such holes. By tomorrow, a thin icy covering would freeze over the top of them. When the Elves came, some of their party would walk right over them and then with a crack fall through. The current underneath would drag them under the ice, where they would drown. The rest, Marreth planned to ambush during the confusion and send them to an early grave: no more meddlesome Elves putting their perfect long noses where they didn’t belong.

Their labor complete, Marreth addressed his crew, “Good job mates. Now we rest until tomorrow when the Elves arrive. At dawn, we conceal ourselves in the snow and wait for the enemy. If we have done our job with these holes, many of the Elves will fall through. During the commotion, we spring out and attack them while their guard is down. We shall not stop until they are all dead. Now get some rest.”

Marreth noticed that Jarlyn did not seem to look well. His face was pallid and he was shivering slightly. Marreth approached his friend and said calmly, “You don't seem well. Get some sleep. I don't want you to get any worse. I can’t afford to lose one of my most trusted officers. Here," he said gruffly, "I've an extra blanket you can take." He pushed it towards Jarlyn and then barked out an order in Jynne's direction. "Give Jarlyn a hand. Start a fire and get some broth heated to take the chill from his bones.""

With those stern words, Marreth retired to the ice hut he had made the day before. They had been careful to chose a hidden location back from the Bay where the Elves would be less likely to find them. Settling in for the night, Marreth mused that it was only a matter of time before they were rid of those pesky intruders for good. Just before he fell alseep, one of the Corsair sentries brought him news that their visitors had made it north and settled in less than a quarter mile south of their own encampment. Good, thought Marreth, they're here early so we have less time to wake. We'll get up early and be ready for them......

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 09-15-2004 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:08 PM   #104
Child of the 7th Age

Luindal:

Luindal's eyes hastily strayed to the locked drawer where a number of things had been tucked away for safekeeping, including the mysterious button and fabric. He cleared his throat, nodding his head in agreement at what the brothers were saying. "I know little of landslides, but what you say makes sense. It is hard to believe those rocks came tumbling down so conveniently as the tide was pouring in."

"But that does not alter our plans for tomorrow. Our duty is to find the Stones. We will just need to be more vigilent as we carry out our task. As to our preparations for this journey, I have given that some thought. When we get to the northern shore, we'll be taking extra precautions, which I'll explain further at that point. And, as I said before, everyone is to come fully armed. In any case, I am glad that you're here, since you are the only ones who've come forward. If you see or hear anything suspicious on the ship or the trek north, just let me know."

"Suspicious?" queried Anû. "What would you be thinking of?"

Luindal shook his head and sighed, wondering how much more he should say. When he spoke, he phrased his words carefully, "Perhaps, someone on the ship who is someplace you wouldn't expect them, or doing something strange, maybe wandering off from the camp at night, or toting a map or book under their vest jacket. Just something that strikes you as out of character or odd."

"But enough of that. Finish your packing tonight and come down early tomorrow. We'll be starting out while it is still dark."

The brothers nodded and disappeared out the door. Luindal knew that the blankets and ropes had already been secured from the Elders and were being loaded onto the sledge in preparation for the morning's departure. He had managed to obtain an extra reindeer or two to pull a second sledge for those who might still need to rest for part of the trek. Several of the Elves most severely injured were being left back on the ship. He had tried to persuade others to stay behind as well, but they would hear nothing of it. Alahseey had assured him that the trek north would be easy, and that the sledge would give those with minor injuries another day for their wounds to heal. He hoped she was right.

About to settle in for the night, he heard a crisp knock at his door and beckoned whoever was there to come inside. Hilde appeared, carrying a load of blankets and a thick fur parka that she set down on the table along with a travelling pack. She backed away from Luindal and made an awkward curtsey, while fumbling nervously with the edge of her apron, "Master Luindal, I am but a humble Lossoth servant woman. Not the likes of you and the other Elves. But there was something I saw. Something I thought was strange, and I can't explain it. I thought if I told you that you might understand and could set my mind at ease. Last night, when you were off touring the ship and talking to Rôg, I saw that Elf. I don't recall his name, but he was the same one who was just here talking with you."

"Annû perhaps? Or Carandû?"

"That was it," she nodded vigorously. "The last one you mentioned. He was in here pouring over one of your maps. He seemed to be memorising it. But undoubtedly, you gave him a job to do that?"

Luindal looked at Hilde and smiled weakly, "Undoubtedly.....," he nodded, bidding her a hasty goodnight, not wishing to talk about this any longer. Yet, as he fell asleep, he couldn't help but wonder what Carandû had been doing in his room.

Just as the first rays of the sun stretched across the Bay, they had said their goodbyes to their Elven comrade who had lost his life in the caves. "He was a decent Elf with a good heart who volunteered to come North," Luindal confided to Rôg. "He'll probably spend only a short time in Mandos before going on to Valinor. Still, for those of us in Middle-earth, it is a grievious loss. For our numbers are small and grow seemingly fewer every year."

With that Luindal raised his hand and signalled the procession to begin its trek to the North. Alahseey and Hilde jointly took the lead, since they knew the land better than any of the other Lossoth. At the end of the line were two reindeer pulling sledges, one burdened with supplies, and the other carrying those who preferred to ride at least part of the way.

In one important respect, Alahseey was correct. The journey north was relatively easy. They met only one or two Lossoth hunters and a caribou herder and his family who were all heading south. By late afternoon, they had nearly reached the northern shores where they were to camp tonight and begin searching for the Stones in the morning.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-16-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:40 AM   #105
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The two brothers were assigned to the end of the caravan. More precisely, they were to see to the reindeer which pulled the sledge for bearing passengers. For the most part of the journey north, their only passenger had been Rôg. All bundled up in his thickly fur-lined leather breeches and overtunic, the skin changer seemed to be enjoying himself - commenting as they went along on what he knew about the ice formations and the wildlife they hid.

‘I see you’ve brought your blades and bows,’ Rog noted, about a quarter of the way into the trek. ‘Planning on hunting something?’

‘Protecting’s more like it,’ chimed in Carandû, his breath sending out great plumes of frosty air as he strode along. ‘You keep your eyes open, too. Let us know if you notice anything.’ Rôg looked at Carandû whose face seemed quite serious, then turned his gaze to Annû. ‘What’s that about,’ he mouthed at the younger brother.

Annû glanced down at the man. ‘We’ve a theory about the rockslide at the cavern,’ he began, pitching his voice a little lower – though what, other than the reindeer, could hear him was dubious. In quick phrases, he told Rôg about their suspicions and wondered if he’d remembered anything more about those two vague figures he seen. The man’s answer was ‘no’, though he assured them he’d gone over his memories time and time again.

Most of the day was spent in pleasant conversation. At lunch time a brief rest was called – time for food and drink and a chance to sit down for a while. But soon, the Captain had them on their feet again. The sun had moved past its zenith and he wanted to reach the camping grounds the two Lossoth had told him about before it grew dark.

Five more hours brought them to their destination on the northern shores. As Carandû and his brother drew up with the two reindeer and their sledges they could see the two Lossoth women – Hilde and Alahseey, pointing out to those in front the best places to camp. Annû shivered at the expanse of ice and snow that was meant to serve as the place to pitch their tents. ‘Ah,’ he said, watching his brother take the thick bearskins from the sledge where Rôg had been sitting. ‘I doubt even those will not protect our bones from the hard mattress the Captain has chosen for us.’ Carandû nodded as he began to put up the hide tent, then piled the bearskins within.

‘Why don’t you two see about getting us a fire going . . . and find something for us to eat,’ he went on, his fist clasped round a large hammer from the tent chest, ‘I’ll just get these pounded in, then I’ll see to the reindeer. The animals eyed him at this comment, as if they understood his intent, and their hooves struck the ground once or twice in anticipation of a handful of hay and dried grasses that were packed a the back of the sledge.

Annû helped Rôg to his feet, and the two of them went off to rifle through the supplies for food and then were off on a small venture to find water. ‘The sun is hastening toward the horizon,’ said the Elf. ‘Let’s not loiter too long in any one place. I want to be back at our own campfire before darkness falls.’
Old 09-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #106
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

‘Sorry to be such a bother!’ It was not only Rôg’s arm that was stiff today, but all his joints seemed to ache from the strain of having pushed them through the crack in the rock and from the unrelenting cold. He leaned on Annû’s arm as they walked on the icy ground, his steps careful so as not to fall. The little fire they had built was from the small amount of kindling wood they’d brought from the ship and from the supply of dried reindeer droppings the Lossoth had so thoughtfully brought along.

For food, they looted through the supplies of dried strips of meat the Lossoth had provided along with a few handsful of dried grains - barley, mostly – and some dried peas that they could cook into a stew. It was plain fare, to be sure – but it would keep them warm through the frigid Bay night. Now all they had to do was find fresh water for tea and for the cooking pot.

It was Galhardir, who had come along with them, that showed them where water could be gotten. Little Rodhal had stayed behind with Carandû. He was to be the guardian of the fire, Annû had told him, laughing. ‘Guard it from the wind; keep it fed with fuel!’ the Elf had instructed him with a grin. ‘We’ll hurry back with water for hot tea and thick stew.’ As they left the camp, the boy was squatted down by the fire, a serious look on his face as he fed the little tongues of flame.

Rôg’s thought was just to scoop up a bit of fresh snow and heat it up to be their water. But Galhardir recommended they walk a little ways away, to where a great glacier edged its way to the waters of the bay. ‘We’ll chip some of the clear ice from it and bring it back for cooking. It’s pure and sweet tasting, no hint of saltiness from the bay.

Galhardir took the lead and the three headed in the direction he pointed out . . .

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-17-2004 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:31 AM   #107
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

White Tree

"Here," Galhardir said, as he led the way through some icy stones, and paths. "It's a bit slippery, so you may want to be careful," he then continued.

Annû and Rög noticed it soon enough, and tried to stay on their feet. It was easier for Galhardir, as he was well aware of the terrain. He had been there a hundred times before. He knew where the best places to find nice and fresh water were hidden. It wasn't always as easy as one would think, because often the water would be strongly affected by the ocean and the salt.

"It's not too far from here," Galhardir then said turning to Rôg who was right behind him. "Where is Annû?" He then asked, as he noticed that the elf had disappeared. "He is right behind us," Rôg told him. "Oh," Galhardir replied, as he saw the elf appear just behind one of the big icy rocks. "We wouldn’t want to loose you, would we?" Galhardir said teasingly, continuing forwards.

A few minutes past, and more walking followed. Finally, they reached the spot that Galhardir had recommended earlier. It was a nice, hidden field between some hilly areas filled with clean, pure ice. It was a magnificent view for those who hadn’t seen anything like it before. "Is this it?" Rôg asked, seeming a bit insecure about the place. "Indeed," Galhardir said proudly. "This ice is as pure and clean as it can get....We'll just chop something off over there, and we're ready to go," Galhardir said, leading the way once again.

Rôg and Annû followed willingly, wherever Galhardir led. They walked on a small icy path, but this wasn't as slippery as it had been before. Some were more grateful for that than others.

"Are you ready?" Galhardir said stopping for a moment. "Aye," Rôg replied.

Together the tree of them managed to dig some of the top ice, which was looser than the rest, and bring it back to the fireplace where Carandu and Rodhal were waiting eagerly for their return.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:08 AM   #108
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elwë gazed at the torn gray clouds that streaked across the cold sky, he felt uneasy, he wasn’t sure why but he didn’t like the feeling at all. Andtuariel moved closer to the fire rubbing her soft hands together in hope to feel warmer. Elwë put his two arms around Andtuariel’s waist and hugged her tightly. She turned around quickly when he hugged her; things were still awkward since their kiss.

“What is happening with dinner?” Andtuariel inquired.

“Er, I think Annû and Rôg are sorting that out.”

“No, they ventured off somewhere, I have no idea where.”

“Oh” Elwë said suspiciously.

“Then I’ll prepare the food, we need an early night.” Andtuariel said, then she headed off to the food supplies and started to prepare it.

The stars shone brightly across the blackened sky. It was dark but the blazing fire of reds and oranges lit the campsite up. Elwë hadn’t seen Annû or Rôg and was worried that something may have happened, he cleared the thought from his head and was sure they just got sidetracked or were taking their time back, as it had just gone dark. He saw Andtuariel sitting on a log by the fire, she was in deep thought, one could see by her facial expression, he loved to catch her like that.

Elwë sat on a rock beside Andtuariel who was gazing at the dancing fire.

“It’s magical.” She said softly to him.

Elwë chuckled, “we love avoiding serious topics with small talk.”

“We have nothing to talk about that is serious.”

“I’m sorry about the other night, I may have been out of place.”

“No not at all” she said as she got up and walked towards the other lossoth females.

Elwë returned to his deep thoughts from earlier on and he felt uneasy once again. His eyelids slowly closed and soon his deep thoughts disappeared.

Last edited by Niluial; 09-16-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:50 PM   #109
Rinfanawen
Wight

Silmaril Diera

Diera stomped her way through the mushy, wet snow towards where they had made camp. Her feet were soaked. Her hands had shriveled long before, even though she had gloves on, and the sleeves of her overcoat and shirt were soaked from her wrists to above her elbows. Her hat had managed to dry some from before, but it froze under the icy conditions of the air. Nevertheless, she managed to easily find camp.

She found her shelter was quite comforting, though sadly it did not keep out the frigid cold. Any wind, however, was blocked quite nicely from getting inside. She sat atop a blanket on the icy, cold ground while she wrapped another, thicker blanket tightly around herself. The snow-stained clothes she wore pressed firmly against her skin, making her even colder. She shivered tremendously. The cold air and icy ground made her think about only one thing...how much she hated the land. She thought back on the terrible accident long ago.

Diera was young at the time. She was only around six years old then, but she remembered it well. It was the only memory she recovered after the event. She closed her eyes tightly as horrific scenes flashed through her mind. She saw her mother’s face. Her mother had been cooking for a long time. Her face was blackened with soot and ash from the fire. Diera remembered sitting at the table singing a quiet song to herself while she watched her mother. She remembered her mother’s expression as she came closer to the table and began to sing as well. Her mother was so happy. Both of them were...and her father!

She smiled as she remembered her father coming home that day. He rode in on horse. She remembered running to the door in pure ecstasy. She ran out to meet his smiling face that very moment. As she ran from the house, she remembered hearing a loud crash and a sudden warm temperature against her neck and back. She turned quickly to see that her house had caught fire. It was blazing in flames that seemed as high as mountains. Her childish fears made her halt in shock. She remembered her father running into the house to try and recover her mother from the flames, but neither of her parents ever exited the house. The last thing she remembered seeing of that location was the sight of the roof collapsing into the midst of the flames. She remembered running. She ran faster and faster until she found herself falling to the ground, fainting due to running so far. She remembered nothing else until she awoke on her uncle’s ship at the harbor two days later.

Diera was almost in tears as she broke from her memories. Why she had let herself remember that time, she did not know. So long it was that she had endured without remembering the event, and she wished she had not at this moment. She figured it was the cold. The cold made her do things unknown to her usual life. She found herself singing, and to add to that, she was singing the exact song she sang as a child. She stopped her voice suddenly. Why do I remember that? she thought. I’ve never sang that song...not since then, at least. She tried to force herself away from the thoughts, but they were too strong to let go.

Suddenly she heard the sounds of feet trampling through snow nearby. A familiar face quickly peered in at her own.

“What is it?” Diera said harshly to Doyal.

Doyal paused for a moment. “Nothing, I...were you singing?”

“No,” said Diera abruptly.

“Oh,” replied Doyal. “Alright, then.” He stood at the entrance of her shelter for a few moments longer.

“Is that all?” she asked him.

Doyal nodded his head and answered, “Um, I was told to remind everyone to keep their weapons in close range. We never know exactly when the Elves are to arrive.”

“Thank you for the warning,” said Diera as she watched Doyal walk away. She remained seated on the ice for quite some time wrapped warmly in her blanket. Her thoughts eventually broke away from her forgotten past, but the song remained in her heart for days to come.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:20 PM   #110
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

White Tree

Jarlyn shot a glare at Marreth and a dirty look at Jynne. How could Marreth assign Jynne to help him? Marreth, though a good friend, could be a bit short sighted at times. It was obvious that Jarlyn didnt like that Jynne.

He shrugged off Jynne's helping hand and could have sworn that Jynne had smiled thinly. The little --

"So, do you know why the captain was blinking a lantern?" asked Jynne.

Jarlyn shot him a suspicious look. Why in Middle-Earth did he care? "Why should I know?" he retorted sharply. His head began to ache and he clenched his fist to his temple.

"Well, you are his best friend," said Jynne smoothly.

"There are two things you must realize, Jynne," said Jarlyne impatiently. "The first is that I am do not feel up to avoiding numerous questions from you. The second is that it is none of your business what our Captain does. Now for pity's sake leave me alone."

"Corsairs do not have pity -- at least they are not supposed to have pity," said Jynne silkily.

"Oh go away and insult someone else," Jarlyn snapped as he settled himself by the fire and helped himself to a bit of stewing broth.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:58 AM   #111
Child of the 7th Age

Luindal:

Luindal gazed moodily at the fire and again replayed the sequence of events that had led to the death of his two companions in the watery tunnels of the cavern. All day, on the trek north, he had been unable to purge their faces from his mind or the haunting feeling that he had somehow failed them. Pushing his hand beneath his belt, he felt the swatch of fabric and button that he’d picked up in the cave. His natural inclination was to meet life in an open and honest way and assume that those around him were doing the same. Yet all the evidence he had seen over the past two days suggested something very different.

Luindal had not been shocked to learn that the Corsairs were likely responsible for the precipitous landslide. The Southrons had their personal ambitions and schemes, the details of which were unknown to him. Yet it was certain that they would bitterly oppose the Seeing Stones falling into the hands of Elves or King Elessar. He only wished he had realized ahead of time that they were likely to hatch a plot of their own that would bring danger and death to his own men. What did disturb him was the mounting evidence that there were one or more among his own party who had apparently decided to side with the enemy. This was hard to take.

This time, however, he would not be caught off guard. Some of the men were still away from camp, gathering water and provisions, but a number had already settled in for the night. His eyes scanned the campsite until they lit on a likely recruit. Gesturing Elwën to come join him, Luindal explained that he needed someone to search by the shore to see if there was indication of anyone else coming here beforehand, perhaps with evil intent. “Be careful when you go! I am probably wrong, but it’s possible we have company. Make sure you’re not seen. And if you find anything unusual, come back and tell me. Oh, yes, and one last thing, whatever you do, do not walk out on the ice itself. Stay on the snowy banks that overlook the Bay.” With that, he clapped Elwën on the shoulder and sent him out into the bleak night.

Walking over to the others who were gathered round a larger fire, he sat down and began to talk, “Tomorrow, I want us to take every precaution. I want no more deaths if we can avoid it. A few will be assigned to walk out on the ice and test it, to make sure we have no more mishaps. The rest of you will stand guard on shore, watching for intruders.”

"I've assigned Annu and Elwen to the second team, and Andtuariel if she is well enough.. You must tie sturdy ropes about your waist and anchor them to something solid onshore, perhaps a tree or large boulder. Freyn will be in charge of these lifelines along with Hilde, Alahseey, and Rôg I hope nothing goes wrong, but if it does they will pull with all their might and direct all the other Lossoth and Elves to do the same so that we lose no one else to the waters of the Bay.

"I will lead the first party onto the ice, and will need a volunteer to work with me." He glanced around the group and eyed Galhardir. “We need a Lossoth who knows the Bay. Galhardir, this is no easy job, but I can think of no one else I would rather have at my side in the first group. What say you?”

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-18-2004 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:07 AM   #112
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Pipe Galhardir

"Me?" Galhardir asked Luindal quietly. Luindal nodded. "You know the bay better than most of us, and I think we could need that as we set out on the ice," Luindal said, waiting for Galharidr to accept. It wasn't much to think about though; Gahardir was more than willing to join this little party on to the ice. "Of course I'll join you Luindal," Galhardir then replied with a smile around his face. "Good," Luindal said, smiling as well. "We need to be very cautious, because the ice is not safe right now," Galhardir told Luindal.

"I noticed it especially as we were walking to fetch water," Galhardir then continued. "Really?" Luindal asked him, seeming quite surprised. "Yes, indeed. I saw some remarkable crevasses, but I don't know how sensitive they are. What I do know, is that they were remarkably big. One doesn’t see them too often, really; not like this," Galhardir then said, seeming a bit weary.

"I see," Luindal said thoughtful. "I reckon' it's nothing to worry about," Galhardir then said, comforting. "We just have to be cautious, and watch out steps," He then said finally. "You are correct, my friend," Luindal nodded.

"Hopefully we won't meet any such unpleasant surprises," Galhardir then said causally. He laughed, but it lacked the sensation of a real laughter.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 09-19-2004 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #113
Child of the 7th Age

Niluial's post

Elwё’s heart jumped as Luindal asked him to search the shore for any indications of company. “Be careful when you go! I am probably wrong, but it’s possible we have company. Make sure you are not seen. And if you see anything unusual, come back and tell me. Oh, yes, and one last thing, whatever you do, do not walk out on the ice itself. Stay on the snowy banks.” Luindal said concernedly, followed by a meaningful pat on the shoulder.

“I’ll be careful and I swear I won’t miss any evidence, if there is evidence.” And with that Elwë turned around beaming. Pride and pure ecstasy filled Elwë. Me! I was asked… me!

He started walking towards Andtuariel, ready to tell her the wonderful news. He stopped. She probably won’t want me to go. Hmm, or she’ll worry herself to death. He turned around once again, changing his direction towards a fellow elf. “If Andtuariel asks you where I am, say I have gone to fetch wood.” Elwë said softly.

“Sure!” said the elf.

Elwë entered his tent. He was no longer filled with joy but instead a mixture of feelings. He was excited, because he was chosen and yet fearful of what could happen. What if I fall in an ice hole? No, remember what Luindal said, “whatever you do, do not walk on the ice itself” just stay clear Elwë, step by step. He tried to clear his thoughts but another one jumped right into his head. What if there is company and I bump into our ‘company’?. “Get a grip of yourself!” he hissed allowed to himself.

Slightly shacking Elwë tightened the laces on his leather boots and put on a warm, soft fur coat. He sighed slightly and walked back outside in the bitter cold. Slowly he started to walk in the direction of the shore. His feet felt as heavy as a thousand bricks and they kept sinking deeper and deeper into the snow making it harder to lift them. The snow-laden wind cut into him like needles penetrating his skin.

What felt like hours he finally arrived at the shore. Whatever you do, do not walk out on the ice itself. Stay on the snowy banks echoed in his head numerous times. He looked around, shielding his eyes from the piercing snow. He just noticed how dull everything was; there was nothing but whiteness and different shades of grey.

He searched carefully, like an eagle does for its prey. He squinted; sure there was nothing when something black caught his eye. He bent down and picked it up. It was a rough, homespun sort of cloth, it was black with crystallized sea water on it, “odd but not enough evidence” he murmured. He shoved the cloth into his pocket and was just about to walk off when something in the snow glinted. He bent down and started to dig. There it was, a silver pocketknife; its handle embellished with diamond and square patterns, its curved blade was extremely sharp and it was slightly rusted yet well kept and polished. He used his sleeve to wipe the snow off it. Elwë then inspected it closely, surely it’s too ‘rich’ looking for a Lossoth, but not too ‘rich’ looking for a looting Corsair.

Elwë quickly shoved the knife in his pocket and looked around, making sure the company wasn’t near by. He turned around and walked faster than before. He was excited of what he had to show Luindal and wanted to get out of the cold.

When he got back to the camp Andtuariel ran up to him and hugged him. Elwë rolled his eyes, “who told you?”

“I thought you were lost while getting the wood! And, wait, told me about what?”

“It doesn’t matter!” he said, his eyes searching for Luindal.

“But, where is the wood?” Andtuariel said suspiciously.

“Like I said it doesn’t matter.” He said impatiently.

Luindal spotted him and gestured him to come over. “Did you find anything?” Luindal asked rapidly.

“Yes!” he dug in his pockets and pulled out the knife and black cloth and handed it to Luindal. “I found these two items.”

“This knife must belong to one of them, I have never met a native, Lossoth with a knife such as this one.” Luindal said while examining it closely.

“Me neither. Unless it belongs to one of our men but I haven’t seen anyone with a pocket knife like this.”

“I’ll have to ask, but I doubt it. This cloth, no one here has clothes made of this cloth.” Luindal said depressingly. “Thank you, you have done a great deed Elwë.”

Last edited by piosenniel; 09-19-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:05 PM   #114
Child of the 7th Age

Arry's post

Carandû was silent as they walked back toward their tent. The ebb and flow of conversation between his brother and Elwë flowed over him without penetrating his thoughts. Annû caught up to him and tapped him on the shoulder, intruding on his quandary with his words. ‘Well, what do you think, big brother. Think there might be a chance we’ll find what we’re looking for?’

‘What I think,’ said Carandû, turning to his brother, ‘what I think is that there is something strange going on here. Why am I not going on the search teams? You know what the Captain wants me to do? He wants me to take care of the reindeer. The reindeer! What sort of a make-do job is that?!’

Annû and Elwë raised their brows at learning the job Carandû had been assigned. Annû noted his brother’s eyes had taken on a certain determined glint. ‘What are you thinking of doing?’ he asked, his hand reaching out to touch his brother’s forearm.

A faint smile creased Carandû’s face, disappearing as he turned and headed back again toward the camp. ‘I’m going to mind the reindeer, of course. What else is there to do?’

What else is there to do? Annû watched his brother disappear into the tent, thinking that he most likely did not want to consider the answer to that question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by piosenniel; 12-16-2004 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 04:06 PM   #115
Child of the 7th Age

Silmaril

The campsite was quiet; most of the Lossoth and even the Elves had settled down for the evening. Luindal sat poking at the last embers of the firepit. He looked down one more time at the knife and swatch of cloth that Elwën had found on the snowy bank in the exact location where they planned to search for the Stones. The fabric appeared to be a diferent color but the very same type that he had picked up earlier from the caves. Little doubt remained in his mind: the Corsair crew was planning something for them on the morrow. But what that was he could only guess.

They would have sturdy weapons at their side to fight off any intruders and thick ropes around their waists to lessen the possibility of an "accident" on the ice turning into a disaster. He had spoken to Alahseey earlier in the evening, and she had confirmed that the currents in this part of the Bay could be quite treacherous even close to shore. But she had again stressed that this was an area that would need to be searched, because of the strange rocks that had been discovered, which were inscribed with Elvish runes.

Moreover, this early in the year, there was the very real danger of cracks and fissures unexpectedly forming in the ice. Sometimes entire ice blocks abruptly broke off and floated out to the Sea. And who was to say that the Corsairs would not find some way to exploit these natural dangers?

Yet it was not the Corsairs who worried him most. He was certain his brave companions would stand up to them and fight. It was the unknown spy within the camp who could wreck the most mischief, by pulling tricks of a sort that no one could possibly guess ahead of time. And who was to say that there was only one mole digging about for information? Possibly there were two or three.

With a sigh, Luindal settled down in his bedroll and willed himself to relax, gazing up at the stars and thinking about his family and what they might be doing tonight in the West. He wondered if the constellations looked different from the place where they were, or if they could see the same ones that he was staring at now. Before long, his eyes grew weary and sleep overcame him.

With the approach of dawn, the camp again sprung to life: Luindal woke early, brushing the newly fallen snow from his clothing, and afterwards setting out his weapons and pack. As he had instructed the others to do, he wound the rope tightly around his waist and knotted it, rolling up the long end in a loop that he swung over his back. After hastily eating a few chunks of travel bread, he gestured that the group should come together for final instructions. Once they had gathered, he began to speak, "Take care this morning. Those going out onto the Bay must step lightly on the ice and try to avoid fissures and holes. Those remaining on shore must survey the land in back of us for signs of attack or ambush. Just as important, keep watching to see if any of those on the Bay have been swept off the ice into the water. If that happens, we're relying on you to tug hard at those ropes. The waters here are swift and deep, and a man can get swept away very quickly. And do not forget, if you see any sign of the Stones, give a hollar, and we'll be over to help."

With that, he handed his own rope to Freyn and one of the Elves he'd known from Lorien who was also helping. Slowly and with great caution, be began inching out onto the frozen Bay. Galhardir passed the end of his rope to Alahseey and Hilde, walking close just a pace ahead of Luindal. Soon the other team had done the same with their ropes, following just behind the Captain and Galhardir. For the moment at least, all appeared well.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-20-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:12 PM   #116
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

White Tree Galhardir

With small steps and great caution the two of them approached the ice. The cold breeze hit Galhardir in the face, but it only refreshed him. "After you," Lindal whispered. Galhardir then gave the other end of his thick rope to Alahseey and Hilde. "Be careful, both of you," Hilde said as Galhardir turned. He nodded, although he wasn't sure she noticed it.

Swiftly the two of them went further onto the ice. Galhardir was in the lead, followed closely by his companion and captain, Luindal. Watching over his shoulder now and then he made sure that Luindal was still following. He was still uncertain whether the ice was as safe as he would have thought if would be. He didn't want to take any chances, it wasn't worth it. And if something horrible would happen here on the ice, one would only stand a small chance against the cold water and rough ice. One thing he had learned about the ice and the water beneath through the years was that it was ruthless and dangerous. Luckily he had the rope around his waist, which gave him great comfort. He trusted the ones that were holding the other end back at the shore. With these thoughts, he went straight forwards, with small worries considered their situation.

Hopefully this little walk would give a somewhat positive result.

Last edited by Orofaniel; 09-26-2004 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:50 PM   #117
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting Marreth:

Marreth had led his men forward to the shelter of the snowy banks even before dawn had broken. Now, he stamped his feet impatiently and gripped the hilt of his sword, eager for things to get under way. He was sick of planning and plotting, and would welcome the chance for action.

His eyes strayed to a nearby snow bluff where Jynne and Jarlyn were hiding. Jarlyn looked no better than before. Once they had demolished the Elves and returned to their ship, he would insist his friend rest a day or two to help regain his health.

Strange how things went! The sicker Jarlyn looked, the wider the self-satisfied smirk that spread over Jynnne's face. For one instant, Marreth considered that his friend's illness might not be just an accident. Then he brusquely rejected that idea. Marreth could have understood if the two men had come to blows, or even if one had plotted to slit the other's throat. But he knew little of poisons and how they worked, and could not have imagined that any of his men would use such a cowardly means to rid himself of an enemy. For all his commitment to Umbar and his ship, and to a life of looting and piracy, Marreth was not a naturally cruel man and did have a certain rudimentary sense of honor. He privately vowed to keep an eye on Jynne, and to trust him only so far. He would tell Diera to do the same.

Marreth watched as the lead team of Elves made its way out onto the ice. He cursed as he saw the rope entwined about Luindal's waist with two others standing a ways off anchoring it down. He didn't know whether to laugh or explode in anger. Still, let the Elves keep their toys! It won't matter at all. I would rather put a blade in an Elf's backany day than to let the current do my work.....

Looking down from his lofty perch, he saw a familiar face and grinned. This one had proven both faithful and useful. His mind ran back to their last meeting. Remember what we spoke of.... One snake in a den of mice can do a great deal of damage. He vowed to reward the informer as soon as they returned to the ship. He'd offered a token of gold the last time they'd met. This time, he would be more generous.

Just a bit further, thought Marreth, as he mentally urged the Elves to be quick about their business and step further out onto the ice. As soon as they hit the concealed holes, we'll be able to show what we're made of.....

Last edited by Regin Hardhammer; 09-21-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:56 PM   #118
Niluial
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andtuariel sat up pulled herself from her dream world and looked around, a dazed, slightly confused look on her face. Sometimes the dream world intertwined itself with reality and it was hard to pull them apart. She stared at the pale sky with pink and red streaks across it, looking like an unfinished masterpiece.

She turned her head and saw Elwë shivering, though his face was peaceful as he dreamed of elven lands that were far away from this iceland. Reality hit her like a ton of bricks. Today is the day we go searching for the Palantiri in the ice-cold snow.

“Elwë!” she whispered while shaking him.

“Please, it can’t be dawn already,” he said miserably.

“Well it is and we better get ready." She paused, hesitatingly. Then taking a deep breath as if she was about to go swimming in a dark ocean, she said quickly, "But we need to talk first.”

Elwë pushed himself into a sitting position and sighed deeply. "What about?”

“Everything. I am very concerned. Yesterday you went looking for wood and yet came back with none. You have been acting secretly and I know Luindal doesn’t trust some of us as we might be part of the other side. You are acting so strangely and I don't understand why," she said almost pleadingly. "I really don’t want him thinking you are on the Cor” she quickly interrupted herself, “you aren’t right?” She cast an anxious glance at him and chewed her lip. She didn't want to ask, but she had to. She had to know.

Elwë sprung to his feet, his pale face becoming a splotchy red. “I can’t believe you would even think that! Why would you think that! I…” he shouted. “I am not even going to answer the question. It’s the silliest thing I have heard! And here I thought you trusted me! I thought I trusted you! I… oh I don’t care.” With that he threw his blanket down, grabbed his fur coat, and stormed out of the tent.

“Good morning” Annû said.

“Morning!” Elwë said acting as if everything was fine.

The wind wasn’t as strong as it was the day before when he went spying but the snow laden wind still cut into him and the others. Elwë walked closer to Annû. They smiled kindly to each other, they had connected lately and a real bond was forming between them. “I am a bit nervous about today. Luindal looks worried and I just know something… well I feel something is going to go wrong.” Annû said, looking down at the dry yet very cold ice.

“I feel it to, I really do.” Elwë said morbidly.

The rest of the walk was in silence. Elwë didn’t want to talk, he had too much to think about. The Palantiri, the attack that was bound to happen and Andtuariel. He tried his best to not think too much, he had to focus on the ice and the lifeline. He wasn’t cold anymore, his body had just become numb and lazy, it was hard to walk feeling so. Something is watching us, something. Before he could think any further Annû stopped the group as he found something. He took out a stout blade from his pocket and bent down, chipping through the ice but instead of finding the Palantiri he found a larg grey rock. The group sighed and kept looking.

Last edited by Niluial; 09-21-2004 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:35 AM   #119
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Jynne cast a smirking glance towards the hidden Corsair where Jarlyn languished. He was sick, oh so sick...it was good.

He smiled thinly to himself as he watched the elves rope themselves together. They had roped themselves together, the cunning scum, but that would not effect them crashing into the icy water. Cold tended to numb the muscles, make them slow and lazy. The Corsairs could still spring upon them and slash their moorings. They would sink like an anchor.

With a soft hiss, Jynne slipped his dagger from his sheath.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-10-2004 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:49 AM   #120
Arry
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Annû

Annû shrugged his shoulders, moving his neck from side to side, in an effort to shake off his uneasy feeling. Elwë and Andtuariel led the way out onto the ice once the Captain and his team had gone forth. Someone was watching them. He could feel the attention directed their way, a vague but persistent interest. He shook the feeling off as best he could, focusing his attention on the task before them.

Aside from his weapons, which his brother had insisted he take today, Annû was armed with a stout pole sharpened to a point on the end, a present from his brother who had spent a fair part of the night crafting it for his use. He poked it soundly into the snowy ice before taking a step. A ways ahead he could just make out Luindal and Galhardir, their rope lifeline taut as they strove to cover as much area as possible. Annû’s gaze fell on his own little group. Elwë was moving carefully forward, as was Andtuariel, but Annû could see she still favored her injured ankle.

What a sight we all must make! he thought to himself. Like some great spiders, their webs spun between them, looking for prey.

Taking a deep breath, he refocused on the area in front of him, trying to imagine, as he poked his staff into the snow filled fissure that ran to the side of the clear ice, just how he would know if he’d found one of the palantiri. He tapped his staff on the ice, listening as he walked along to the different sounds it made. At one point, it sounded particularly dull and he called a halt to his group’s movement. With a stout blade he had brought for the purpose, Annû knelt down and chipped through the ice. But it was not a palantir, only a large stray rock caught in the glacial grip.

----------

Carandû

‘They look like big bugs out there on the ice,’ said Carandû softly to himself. He watched his brother make his way slowly along the icy floe, and it grated on him that he could not be at his side. Ignoring the Captain’s orders to ‘look to the reindeer’, Carandû had left the care of the beasts to one of the Lossoth more familiar with their habits than the Elf cared to be, and had followed along at a discrete distance behind the search teams. On a little rise along one of the snowy glacial walls, he’d found a small indent where he could remain hidden and have the ice field below in view. From his vantage point he could see the two teams, their lifeline ropes extending back onto the shore, each anchored to sturdy boulders. Rôg was there by them, as were three of the Lossoth.

Carandû narrowed his eyes against the ice glare and watched his brother’s team carefully. He knelt in the snow, his thick fur over-breeches cushioning his lower legs against the cold. His bow, strung, was in his gloved hand, an arrow knocked lightly should there be need of it.

‘Take care, little brother,’ he whispered, his frosty plea spiraling up in the cold air.

Last edited by Arry; 09-21-2004 at 01:53 AM.