The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
WW XCVI - Admin thread

White wolves invade Eriador from the North. One village stands against the invaders.

~*~*~

Three wolves: Conspire and harass and kill every night.

One seer: Dreams of a fellow player every night.

One ranger: Protects a fellow player every night. They may self-protect, but cannot protect the same person two nights in a row.

One cobbler: Now I'd like to try something different ('cause I like to do that with the cobbler) and that is the cobbler has the chance to blind the seer or incapacitate the ranger. Each night the cobbler picks another player. If it's an ordo or a wolf, nothing happens. If the cobbler hits the seer or ranger they are useless for the night. However, the cobbler cannot pick the same person twice. I.E. if the cobbler blinds the seer he/she can't target the seer again the rest of the game. When dreamt of the cobbler is revealed as an ordo. I'd like to give this a whirl, but if no one is interested I'm happy to keep the traditional cobbler role.

Otherwise this'll be a standard game.

No retractable votes.

Votes will only be counted in the following format

++Kitanna

I'll leave it up to you guys if anyone wants to have double lynchings for tied votes.

Deadline will either be at 7 am -6GMT or 8pm -6GMT. Whatever works best for everyone.

Players
Shasta - Village chandler
Menel - Traveling salesman
Glirdan - Traveling thespian
G55 - Little Red Riding Hood
Nerwen - Maid at Inzil's
Legate - Local Bard
Pitchwife - Village Shopkeep
Nogrod - Retired Barkeep
Lommy -
Inzil - Village barkeep
Aganzir - Herbalist
Sally - Town Bicycle
Kath - Woodsmith with the gammy leg

Last edited by Kitanna; 06-11-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Kitanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I'm in!
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I like your idea for the cobbler. And I'll join as a traveling salesman of various things.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Hmm... does the cobbler get this in addition to the usual "distraction" role? (as in, does the cobbler still try to help the wolves even by sacrificing himself, if worst comes to worst, or is his priority his own survival?) I think the modified role is an interesting idea, whichever way it works. We likes it very much.

And I'm likely to be in... no, scratch that. I'm in whatever. I just hope you don't start until at least next week.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

I'm in, of course. As if I'd miss two games in a row.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
ARE WE DOING A BACK TO THE BASICS GAME WITH ROLES!?!?

Either way, I'm in (and if we are doing roles, I shall be a traveling thespian who can't remember his lines)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan View Post
ARE WE DOING A BACK TO THE BASICS GAME WITH ROLES!?!?

Either way, I'm in (and if we are doing roles, I shall be a traveling thespian who can't remember his lines)
I've been away for so long that I wasn't aware we had stopped using roles. I'd still prefer to keep them though.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I've been away for so long that I wasn't aware we had stopped using roles.
We haven't, actually.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hmm... does the cobbler get this in addition to the usual "distraction" role?
Yes and he/she has the chance to help the wolves a little more by stopping the gifteds from using their abilities.

And I encourage village roles. Then If I'm stuck on a death I can use that to help the narration.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'll be the Little Red Riding Hood, coming to the village to see my grandmother. How appropriate that there's a wolf in that story too! Hey, she can be the first victim!
Old 05-25-2012, 07:28 AM   #11
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Okay, I cannot yet 100% confirm my participation, but I would like to play again, and it seems there are some long-lost people present in this game I shall at least follow this thread for the time being.

A few questions which I believe would be helpful to clarify in any case:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
One ranger: Protects a fellow player every night.
Can the Ranger protect two people in a row? Can it also protect itself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitanna View Post
However, the cobbler cannot pick the same person twice. I.E. if the cobbler blinds the seer he/she can't target the seer again the rest of the day.
You mean for the rest of the game, I presume?

Quote:
I'll be the Little Red Riding Hood, coming to the village to see my grandmother. How appropriate that there's a wolf in that story too! Hey, she can be the first victim!
Are you volunteering for being butchered early on?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

When the Cobbler blinds the Seer or stops the Ranger, does he/she get to know that person's role?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #13
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post

Can the Ranger protect two people in a row? Can it also protect itself?
Yes to self protect, no to double protect

Quote:
You mean for the rest of the game, I presume?
Yes and I apparently need to learn that I must edit my posts before putting them up

Quote:
When the Cobbler blinds the Seer or stops the Ranger, does he/she get to know that person's role?
No. I'll let her/him know they've made a hit though.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm in. It feels like ages since the last game.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Are you volunteering for being butchered early on?
Only if a gallant hunter will volunteer to rescue me from whoever's tummy I get to sit in. Pity there's no hunter in this game.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Only if a gallant hunter will volunteer to rescue me from whoever's tummy I get to sit in. Pity there's no hunter in this game.
Exactly that might be the one minor flaw in otherwise a pretty good plan!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 05-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Menel! Long time no see... Nice to see you again.

Okay. If this starts within a week I have no chance to take part as it is the last week at school and everything is just plain hectic. But if this starts on early June (one week + from now), then I'm gladly in for an old skool game.

Haha, an occupation just out of thin air with no requirements or specifications! (makes me feel nostalgic)
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Lommy asked me to pass a similar kind of notice here I did.

So if this doesn't start within a week, she'll be in.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Kitanna
Child of the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Okay. If this starts within a week I have no chance to take part as it is the last week at school and everything is just plain hectic. But if this starts on early June (one week + from now), then I'm gladly in for an old skool game.
I don't see this being a problem. It'll probably take that long to get a decent number of players.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #20
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I should make it to this one, I'll have long work days but what's a better rewinding activity than playing some werewolf

And I'll run a cafe, the place where everything is discussed and the gossips spread.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #21
Kitanna
Child of the West

I'm going to send out some PMs to see if anyone else might be interested in playing. With two or three more players we could be ready to start before too much longer.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Ok, count me in as the village barkeep.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #23
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I believe I will have time to sneak 1 game in, so sign me up Kit. I'll be the village wild game wrangler.

I also like the idea for the cobbler. Will the cobbler (a/o village) know if the seer or ranger were prevented from their gift for one night?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:56 AM   #24
Kitanna
Child of the West

Hooray, Boro and Inzil have joined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I also like the idea for the cobbler. Will the cobbler (a/o village) know if the seer or ranger were prevented from their gift for one night?
The cobbler will be told they've prevented a gifted, but not the gifted's role.

We have enough people to start, provided the three unsure people are still available to play.

When is everyone available to start playing? If we start the game before Saturday the DL with need to be 7am -6GMT, but if we start Sunday or later the DL can be 7 am -6GMT or 8pm -6GMT, which every is most convenient.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #25
Pomegranate
Wight

Pomegranate is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
i hate to do this now, but i think i might have to pull out now after all. I have a friend coming over next week and i won't be able to concentrate, and i'd be completely unavailable for the weekend, so since i don't have a tendency to die early in the game and don't want to try to deliberately do it either, i might have to leave you. I think i hoped we'd start earlier. Sorry!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Sad to hear that Pom, but if this isn't starting before the weekend, I might try to ask Greenie as she comes home from her camp on Sunday (and I think that being on the camp was her main reason for not joining in).
Old 06-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

I think you can count me as playing, even though I might not be 100% as commited as I usually am because my exam term is going on at the same time. But if you are okay with slightly less commited and less posting Legate... this way at least I make sure my procrastination time is contained into some specific boundaries

EDIT: Oh, and occupation. Make me a local bard, for example.

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 06-06-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #28
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Did somebody say werewolf?

I'll be the herbalist.

(I like the cobbler and prefer the 7 AM deadline.)
Old 06-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Alright, just letting you all know now that from this point on I do have a little more spare time as I'm on three week vacations. But don't be surprised if there is a lengthy time before you hear anything from me as my show that I have been rehearsing for for the past five months opens tonight!!!! So, I will still play, just won't be around as often as I'd like.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #30
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I suppose, for my role, I'll be the village chandler.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #31
Kitanna
Child of the West

I'm sorry to see you go, Pom.

I'm willing to wait until Sunday to see if Greenie wants to play. Or if everyone is ready and anxious to go we can get started Saturday morning.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #32
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I'll be a retired barkeeper (hah Inzil, you got someone breathing over your shoulder telling you whether you do things right or wrong... ).

I'll try to find out with Greenie tomorrow to see if she wants to play.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #33
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If we have the utmost understanding that I'm going to be horribly busy and will very rarely post (anything longer than a few sentences, anyway), I'm in.

I shall be the town bicycle. What? Why the faces? I'm a delivery girl!
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #34
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
I suppose, for my role, I'll be the village chandler.
I absolutely read that as "village chandelier."
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #35
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I'll be a retired barkeeper (hah Inzil, you got someone breathing over your shoulder telling you whether you do things right or wrong... ).
Perhaps I once worked for you, but you had to retire after an unfortunate accident in which you put our strongest stuff into the oil lamp by mistake, and lit it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I believe I will have time to sneak 1 game in, so sign me up Kit. I'll be the village wild game wrangler.
I'll just get to writing my last will and testament then.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
I'll just get to writing my last will and testament then.
But you've only just returned! I will draw your attention to the Birthday thread, and a post from way back in 2009

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showpos...postcount=1451
Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #38
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
I absolutely read that as "village chandelier."
That's because you are a bicycle.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #39
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Oh yes, occupations. I'll be the village shopkeeper; "Some call it rubbish, to me it's treasure" - that kinda guy. And I'm OK with any DL that's later than 8pmGMT.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Greenie will not be playing. She has work every day next week and she'll be moving in the end of the week... So understandably too busy to play.