The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #2961
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Now back to your regularly scheduled Phalian.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

The story is going to take some interesting turns in the next few weeks, so stay tuned to P&A goings on! Or don't, if you prefer.

Thanks to Oddwen for writing stories for the past three weeks. I don't think I mentioned her before, but, yeah. Woot for Oddy!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #2962
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

So Oddwen is the "Pickles" McSpankypants! Were you spanked and pickeled before you were searched? I love that stuff.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #2963
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post

So Oddwen is the "Pickles" McSpankypants! Were you spanked and pickeled before you were searched? I love that stuff.
Ahem!

Alfredo Norman "Pickles" McSpankypants-Winthorpe of Long Grange South III Jr. and I are mere acquaintances, thank you. Any allegations of spanking or pickling are mere whispered rumors, started and spread by our enemies.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #2964
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am not going to say anything about this paper.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #2965
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
P&A Pilot...

Okay, you guys, some big news!!!

COMING THIS CHRISTMAS...

THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN... ANIMATED SERIES!!!

Or at least a pilot episode thereof.
Yes, I've been thinking about this for a while and with my brother doing animation at collage, it all seemed like the right time for it. So, this week, I'm going to start putting together a screen-play for a P&A animated pilot episode. It'll be about five minutes long.
The idea is that the series (if we think we can do a full series) will follow the story of Volume Three, albeit with some changes here and there for the different format. I think it will end up being about 10 episodes, each 5-7 minutes long.
Why am I telling you this instead of springing it on you unannounced like I usually do? Well, because we can't do this alone! Firstly, we need some voice talent! Secondly, I think this is something we should have fun with and I want as many suggestions about how to do this as possible.

As soon as I've got the script done for the pilot I'll let you guys know what character voices we'll need. I'll do Alien, of course . Still deciding weather or not to get my older brother to do the voice of the Phantom as he did in all the previous animated specials, or to get the actual phantom. Unless he'd like to do some other voice.
So, take a look through Volume Three and think about a character you could do the voice for!
Old 09-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #2966
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Now that would surely be amazing!

I, hmm, I would have to think about it, but I would definitely like to take part, whichever way. In the end, I think I could do almost anything. Unless there is, of course, a specific need for Legate voice which should be done by Legate.

I expect all people starting to fight for Mr. Mop <3 ! Otherwise, my probably most favourite people (aside from Mr. Mop) were in the previous part, so in case you wanted to make the Return of General Crock-Face (or somebody from his band), I claim him; otherwise, like I said, really not much of a preference, at least not right now. But I'll take a look at it...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #2967
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Looking forward to it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #2968
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

It's not just voice actors we'll need, too! It occurred to me a few minutes ago that we could do with some music that isn't copy-righted. So, if someone wants to make us some crazy music, that'd be good. We can fall back on the theme tune as established in the previous animated specials, if need be, but it'd be nice to get a Downer with some musical skills in on the action.

We might also need a director! I think that once we have the script and cast set, we should arrange a Skype call in which we read-through the script and make sure we all know how we want to thing to sound. It'd be good to have a director for this. I'd be willing to do it if nobody else is, but if someone wants the job I'm not against having less work to do.

I had a quick out-line session in my head earlier and I think these will be the voices for the pilot...

Peter Hampton
Beef Colins / Alien Collins
Gertrude Hampton
Jon Fillis
Fr Formy
Sister Mister
Baby Beef (Formally Baby Bob)
Baby Beef's father
Barry Wight
Saucepan Man
Beth the Barmaid
Boris

There may be more depending on how the script comes out. But I'm thinking the Pilot will go as far as Jon Fillis being given his bus.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #2969
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh my soap! Coooool!

Maybe I'll get an audition tape done today...

Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #2970
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

It's COMPULSORYYYYYY!

Okay. I did a reading of the first six-ish panels. I skipped the prologue because I didn't want to offend Death.

I have a bit of experience with audio editing and would be willing to help out in that area if I can.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #2971
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Okay. I did a reading of the first six-ish panels. I skipped the prologue because I didn't want to offend Death.

I have a bit of experience with audio editing and would be willing to help out in that area if I can.
I think you got the job!
It's neat that you can do so many voices! We'll need people like that!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 PM   #2972
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
If you ever need a voice for the sea lady, you know whom to contact.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #2973
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Oh how I wish I had a microphone to join in the frivolities of an animated P&A!!! Le Massively Giant Sigh
Old 09-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #2974
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

I've done a first draft of the script for the pilot episode. It'll run about 5 minutes long and covers stuff up to episode six of the comics. Though the order of events is shifted around a bit, so the 'cliff hanger' will be the church exploding.

That being said, there aren't that many characters to voice so far, but, as I said, it's not just voices we need. Nonetheless, here's the cast list...

CAST

MAJOR CHARACTERS

~ PETER HAMPTON (????)

~ ALIEN / BEEF COLLINS (Hookbill the Goomba)

~ GERTRUDE (????)

~ FR. FORMY (????)

~ JOHN FILLIS (????)

MINOR CHARACTERS

~ MR GROSS (????)
Has two lines while waiting at a bus stop with Gertrude

~ SISTER MISTER (????)
Has a short conversation with Formy about soap

~ AUNT BOB (????)
Tells Formy that Alien is causing trouble

Like I said, more than voices will be needed. We'll need someone to do the music, someone for sound effects and possibly a director! The more credits we can stuff into this thing, the better it will look. People might think we're good at it!
If you're interested in taking a part, let me know and I'll send you the script draft, but remember it's only a draft and it may chop and change as we go on.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #2975
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I bet I can handle sound effects. Would I be creating/obtaining them and sending them on to you? I can do that. Let me know what you need, though you'll probably be partway into art production before you know the timing & such.

Bus/vehicle noises
Crashes
Clangs
Slams
Screams
Gloops
Glops
Explosions
Regurgitation
Death rattles
Soap bubbles
Choirs of angels for when The Phantom speaks
Ambient churchy-ness, mess hall-ness, bar-ness

Last edited by Oddwen; 09-21-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #2976
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Time to shove some news in your eyes!

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

I love Squatter's Alien costume. It's so... convincing!!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #2977
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh. My. Bubbles.

When I saw the Legate picture (since I saw it before I saw the title) I thought it's about him taking over the Itaril/Tauriel role in the comming TH movies.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2978
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

This.....this is a thing of beauty.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #2979
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
When I saw the Legate picture (since I saw it before I saw the title) I thought it's about him taking over the Itaril/Tauriel role in the comming TH movies.
I hope not!

But this issue is really brilliant, I must say, and not just *that* article, but I really like the other one too! Perfect.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 09-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #2980
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

We're still looking for more voice actors for the P&A show! If you're interested, let me know and I'll e-mail you the script.
Today I saw some of the first snippets of animation and it's looking pretty sweet.

Once we have enough people I'll start casting and we can really start to move on with this craziness.
These are the rolls we need to cast...

~ GERTRUDE

~ FR. FORMY

~ JOHN FILLIS

~ MR GROSS

~ SISTER MISTER

~ AUNT BOB
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #2981
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
We're still looking for more voice actors for the P&A show! If you're interested, let me know and I'll e-mail you the script.
Today I saw some of the first snippets of animation and it's looking pretty sweet.

Once we have enough people I'll start casting and we can really start to move on with this craziness.
These are the rolls we need to cast...

~ GERTRUDE

~ FR. FORMY

~ JOHN FILLIS

~ MR GROSS

~ SISTER MISTER

~ AUNT BOB

Oh! I will! Pick me!
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #2982
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

NEWS!!

We've cast our first few characters for the Phantom and Alien animated series!
The part of Alien will be played by... Hookbill the Goomba.
The part of Peter Hampton / The Phantom will be played by Hookbill's brother Mattbill

And the part of Gertrude Hampton will be played by none other than Legate of Amon Lanc!

Gertrude is the estranged wife of Philip Hampton who is also a bit strange. She's sarcastic, easily annoyed and absolutely determined to get to Cardiac Street on the other side of the City.

Legate was kind enough to do a few audition tapes for Gertrude and this gave me an idea. If you're interested in doing a character (or more than one) and have the script, send me some recordings of your talents and we can get a good idea of what this is going to sound like.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #2983
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Time to poke some news into your eyes!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

MORE CASTING NEWS!

The part of Fr Formy will be taken by The Elf Warrior! His audition tape was superb.
I hope you all remember who Fr Formy is, in the series. He's this guy...

I hope Formendacil does not object.
Formy follows Alien on his adventures as they try to rebuild the church that Alien destroyed... somehow. They meet the Soap Pope, the Old Woman of the Seas and, of course, the Phantom himself!!

CAST

MAJOR CHARACTERS

~ PETER HAMPTON (Mattbill)

~ GERTRUDE (Legate of Amon Lanc)

~ FR. FORMY (The Elf Warrior)

~ JOHN FILLIS (????)

MINOR CHARACTERS

~ MR GROSS (????)

~ SISTER MISTER (????)

~ AUNT BOB (????)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #2984
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

<3 Frodo pic.

The woods in Lommy's background look very much like those that i remember in Russia. Same continent, duuh. (/kidding... but still...)

Yay Legate and TEW!
Old 10-04-2011, 04:11 PM   #2985
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

I meant to mention this earlier but was distracted by something... Probably pudding...

Anyway, the role of Aunt Bob has been taken by Blind Guardian!! (The BDer, not the band). Casting is well on the way towards being complete!!

CAST

MAJOR CHARACTERS

~ JOHN FILLIS (????)

MINOR CHARACTERS

~ MR GROSS (????)

~ SISTER MISTER (????)

~ AUNT BOB (Blind Guardian)

So, we're still looking for someone to play John Fillis, Mr Gross and Sister Mister!
Oddwen, you put in a few good voices earlier, do you want any of those?
Old 10-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #2986
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I'm recording a tryout for Sister Mister now actually.

I'll get that to you soon.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #2987
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
I'm recording a tryout for Sister Mister now actually.

I'll get that to you soon.
Ah, a brilliant audition! Consider yourself cast!!

CAST

MAJOR CHARACTERS

~ JOHN FILLIS (????)

MINOR CHARACTERS

~ MR GROSS (????)

~ SISTER MISTER (Oddwen)

So, all we need now is the infamous John Fillis and the unfamous Mr Gross!!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM   #2988
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Is John Fillis the head with the sunglasses and the mortarboard hat?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #2989
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Is John Fillis the head with the sunglasses and the mortarboard hat?
No, John Fillis is the old man who slowly mutated into a monster during Volume Three.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #2990
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Link me a link, and I'll record an audition for him.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #2991
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Time to poke some news into your eyes!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Gwathagor, how's your audition coming along?

We're also looking for someone to take the voice of Mr Gross!! As soon as we get him we can start work on a screen test for the first scene. Won't that be exciting??
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #2992
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Innocent as Bombadil that face is. Come to think if it, that face is.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #2993
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry View Post
Innocent as Bombadil that face is. Come to think if it, that face is.
It is.

Does that mean........ Nog will always win Werewolf? :P

As for Gimli... he should praise the skies that the phantom wrote about him. Or, rather, he should praise the phantom.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #2994
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Is this the news? You bet your brains it is!!

PHANTOM AND ALIEN
COMIC ARCHIVE THING

Sorry about P&A seeming a little lacking at the moment. My focus has been on the animation for a while rather than the comics. I should fix that.

Speaking of the animation, WE STILL NEED TWO MORE VOICES!!!

CAST

MAJOR CHARACTERS

~ JOHN FILLIS (????)

MINOR CHARACTERS

~ MR GROSS (????)

~ SISTER MISTER (Oddwen)

We still need John Fillis and the unfamous Mr Gross! Gwathagor said he'd audition for John Fillis... How's that going, Gwath?
As soon as we get a Mr Gross we'll be ready to make a rough cut of the first scene.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:24 AM   #2995
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What is the Phantom holding in the third scene?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #2996
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
What is the Phantom holding in the third scene?
The moustache he had just removed from his face, o'course!
Old 10-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #2997
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
The moustache he had just removed from his face, o'course!
I've had this question about the moustache for a while, might as well ask now. Is it a banana peel?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #2998
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I've had this question about the moustache for a while, might as well ask now. Is it a banana peel?
No, it's hair that you grow on your face. They are easily removable by applying sufficient force, such as is generated by grasping and pulling on it.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #2999
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
No, it's hair that you grow on your face. They are easily removable by applying sufficient force, such as is generated by grasping and pulling on it.
Ahh, I suppose even easier to remove from the phantom's face, considering the phanct he's the phantom with questionable tangibility
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #3000
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Ahh, I suppose even easier to remove from the phantom's face, considering the phanct he's the phantom with questionable tangibility
People who remember episode 100 of volume 2 will know that the moustache is fake and always has been. But is it a source of power? Probably?

CASTING UPDATE!!

Gwathagor is going to take on the roll of John Fillis, the man, the myth, the monster!

CAST

~ JOHN FILLIS (Gwathagor )

~ MR GROSS (????)

~ SISTER MISTER (Oddwen)

We still need the unfamous Mr Gross! He's got a few lines, but if we go to series, he's only back once or twice more. Whereas John Fillis and the like will be around for a long time. I just hope Gwath can do monstrous noises.