The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
Oaths in the Fellowship

I do not remember if this is in the book at all, so I am asking this in the movie forum particuraly since it has to do with two lines in the movies.
Was there any kind of an oath to bond the fellowship. In "The Fellowship of the Ring" Elrond told them as they were leaving Rivendell that "...you that travel with him no oath or bond holds you to go further then you will". But then at the end after Boromir tried to take the ring and Frodo was talking to Aragorn, Aragorn said that he swore to protect Frodo. And again in the Two Towers Faramir found out that Frodo had the ring Sam told him that Boromir had tried to take the ring from Frodo "after swearing an oath to protect him, he tried to kill him."
Thank you
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:13 AM   #2
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
From memory, when leaving Rivendell Gimli proposes that they all take an oath. Someone (Elrond?) says that this might not be a good idea as no one can foresee what will happen along the way. Gimli counters that an oath may 'buck up' one's resolve when things get tough. In the end I think that no one makes a formal declaration.

Again if I remember correctly Aragorn says the line regarding "if by my life or death I can save you" or something to Frodo, but this may have been in Bree.

The Boromir thing from Sam doesn't sound right.
alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420!

I would argue that the meaning behind Elrond's, "...you that travel with him no oath or bond holds you to go further then you will". That's only talking about the members to continue to travel with Frodo. There was no oath that the members of the fellowship had to continue to travel with Frodo. However, I would say there was an oath that as long as a member stayed in the Fellowship, he had to protect Frodo, and help him on his quest. Sam's line refers to Boromir breaking that oath, to protect Frodo. The scene in the movies with all the members stepping in to join Frodo, is surely an oath to help him.

Aragorn: If by my life or death I can protect you I will! You have my sword!
blah blah blah...everyone else comes in.

Elrond's little phrase only ment the members didn't have to continue to travel with Frodo, as the line says.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-03-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote