The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #2761
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Leaf

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:40 PM   #2762
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
/\
Does that mean you assign Spain to Mordor?
Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 PM   #2763
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Leaf

Nay,it means I disagree with previous poster!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:23 PM   #2764
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Nay,it means I disagree with previous poster!
Don't be silly! No one is allowed to disagree with The Phantom! "You shall rue the day you did not do all that the Phantom asked of you" and all that.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:17 PM   #2765
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

It's okay, Lottie. I'll allow someone to disagree so long as they realize that doing so makes them wrong.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #2766
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Leaf

Come on.Lalaith in realm of Sauron?!

Have a little pity on poor child,for God's sake!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #2767
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Come on.Lalaith in realm of Sauron?!

Have a little pity on poor child,for God's sake!
Oh, I don't know, Urwen, perhaps she feels at home there now.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM   #2768
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign political correctness to Mordor, having seen some rather repulsive examples of it recently where I live.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #2769
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I assign political correctness to Mordor, having seen some rather repulsive examples of it recently where I live.
I'll second this one. Political correctness has always bothered me.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #2770
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

You know what. I assign college applications (and preparations!) to Mordor! May they burn in the Hellfire of Orodruin! Taking Maths was the biggest mistake of my life ( I FAILED it in class XI), and now, I'm pretty sure no college in the UK will want to see something like that on a student's record, even though I want English Literature!
Galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #2771
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Snow in May.

Especially snow that cancels a weekend trip and party.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #2772
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Nosebleeds. The kind that send you to the emergency room and require cauterization. And it had been such a nice day....
Old 05-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #2773
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
You poor thing! I didn't realise nosebleeds could get that bad.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:46 AM   #2774
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniðilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
You poor thing! I didn't realise nosebleeds could get that bad.
Oh, yes, sad to say. It's happened before. I have a weak blood vessel in my right nostril, and 6 years ago, it broke even more messily (took three ER visits to stop it). I'm not too happy with the fact that it bled again this morning -- took nearly an hour to stop it, but no ER visit needed yet. One of the joys of getting older and having severe allergies. Sigh.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:18 PM   #2775
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andsigil View Post
I third that. I also assign to Mordor: complicated regulations about getting a driver's license, bureaucracy, dirty politicking from any member of any political party, severe thunderstorms, heavy metal 'music', people who constantly use bad language for no good reason, and having to stop reading a book because you didn't see the bedroom scenes when flipping through in the library.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #2776
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
I will assign to Mordor US car rental companies and the competing websites trying to lure people to their pages chasing for the advertiser's favour with totally false promises...

Why can't they just say what is the real and final total cost?

Why can't they say what car are you getting in the end (how many people, how much luggage, what's the mileage)?

On site A they say you can rent a car at price X. They even give you a list of surcharges the price covers (like ten different ones) - but they don't tell you they have omitted the most costly ones...

Or on a site B they say X is the full cost you have to pay... but then there is the small print which says taxes b & c are not included and it's said nowhere how much they are (you need to find them out yourself).

In hopes of getting a possible six-seater Ford Escape with promised 28mpg on highway (to take Brinn with us to Geneva), you could end up with any random gas-devouring SUV (even less than 20mpg) with only five seats. And actually one search gave the mileage of Ford Escape as 22mpg! So who to believe? We'll be driving for 6000+ miles so the mileage is not an insignificant factor.

In hopes of getting a full-size car with comfort (like Chevy Impala) you either get a car with 28mpg or 21mpg; or you get a car with ample room to four big baggages or just for two... a premium car would have more or less assured extra-room for the luggage but the price would be accordingly high (at about 300$ more) - and the mileage would be accordingly bad... or how could you know?

Couldn't they get just real saying what they're selling to people?

PS: I'm "fourthing" the PC to Mordor!
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #2777
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Twelve-year-old kids who try to mug you.

As I was waiting for a taxi this evening, a twelve-year-old boy tried to snatch my bag away. It was dark and rainy, but I caught up with him. Sad to say, with my PMS and my terrible toothache, emotion dictated me... I beat him before I took him to the police station. Since he's a juvie, the police didn't want anything to do with him... they couldn't even get his name without bypassing legal stuff. Worst thing was that there was nobody I could turn to at that moment!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #2778
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Twelve-year-old kids who try to mug you.

As I was waiting for a taxi this evening, a twelve-year-old boy tried to snatch my bag away. It was dark and rainy, but I caught up with him. Sad to say, with my PMS and my terrible toothache, emotion dictated me... I beat him before I took him to the police station. Since he's a juvie, the police didn't want anything to do with him... they couldn't even get his name without bypassing legal stuff. Worst thing was that there was nobody I could turn to at that moment!
How terrible! At least you weren't hurt. It's unbelievable that the police were so hamstrung they couldn't even demand his name.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #2779
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
How terrible! At least you weren't hurt. It's unbelievable that the police were so hamstrung they couldn't even demand his name.
Yes. I realized when I got home, I could have fared a lot worse--what if the kid had back-up? No amount of college-level ROTC could've saved me.

Legal Madness.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:17 PM   #2780
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Economy-crippling oil spills! That is what I assign to Mordor!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #2781
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfchick7 View Post
Economy-crippling oil spills! That is what I assign to Mordor!
Seconded. (Although I'm rather more worried about the ecology-crippling aspect.)
(Come to think of it, I really should change my sig - it's becoming less funny with every liter spouting out of that damned hole.)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #2782
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

On a slightly less earth-impacting line, coming home from vacation to a flooded basement. I don't regret missing the terrible thunderstorms (bad ones make me twitchy ever since a near brush with lightning), but the water in the basement was not a nice welcome home gift. Thank God it was only rain water, not sewage, and nothing was seriously damaged.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #2783
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign having a lovely dream that I mysteriously appeared in Britain on a train, in London to be exact, with my grandparents. Then having to wake up from it.

I really miss England and Wales (Scotland we didn't go to).
Old 06-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #2784
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
I assign having a lovely dream that I mysteriously appeared in Britain on a train, in London to be exact, with my grandparents. Then having to wake up from it.

I second that. I too continue having dreams where I am still in the UK, on a train and everything is wonderful.

I assign packing my things for moving, and my dislike for doing it. Now I shall get off the computer and get to work!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #2785
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
I second that. I too continue having dreams where I am still in the UK, on a train and everything is wonderful.

I assign packing my things for moving, and my dislike for doing it. Now I shall get off the computer and get to work!
Yes, a train going through that lovely green country, passing rows of beautiful brick houses, going from giant smog-filled city to tiny picturesque village. Ahh. I should assign that to the Shire!

Yes, packing and moving can all be sent to Mordor. Good riddance. No wait, I think that Mordor is too good for it!
Of all of the cruel and unusual punishments parents could lay down on their children, moving has got to be the worst. And all this time you think "What did I do wrong to deserve this torture?"
Old 06-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #2786
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
If you woke up before having to navigate your way around the London Underground, you should count yourself lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
So do I. Especially Wales. ++Cymru to the Shire
Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #2787
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
If you woke up before having to navigate your way around the London Underground, you should count yourself lucky.
We were just about to go on the Underground, actually. But if you have a map the Tube isn't that difficult to navigate. Only the first day that you're in London. When we arrived we actually had a couple of people ask us if we needed help navigating. Ah, fun times.

Quote:
So do I. Especially Wales. ++Cymru to the Shire
Wales has glorious scenery! We drove through it. Well, Wales has glorious scenery when there isn't a hedge or brick wall obstructing our view.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #2788
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I miss Wales because we didn't go there when I was in Britain... oh, a long time ago. Going on forty years. England and Scotland we toured, and they were marvelous, especially since I was part of a touring choir and we got to perform in some magnificent places. If only we'd been there a bit longer... *sigh*
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #2789
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniðilpathânezel View Post
I miss Wales because we didn't go there when I was in Britain... oh, a long time ago. Going on forty years. England and Scotland we toured, and they were marvelous, especially since I was part of a touring choir and we got to perform in some magnificent places. If only we'd been there a bit longer... *sigh*
Oh! Some of the churches in Britain are marvellous! They are old and lovely. I think that my favourite building is the Palace of Westminster, though. Gorgeous.

You can always stay longer in Britain. I don't think that anybody could stay long enough to see every grand thing there.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #2790
Ibrîniðilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I will now assign tornadoes and their attendant thunderstorms. I just came up from the basement, where my husband is still vacuuming up rainwater, to try to get hold of my sister, who lives about two miles away. She lost power while we were talking (yes, I know you should get off the phone when it's storming, but she called first, and didn't know that there was a tornado heading her way). A tree came down in her backyard and hit her building, and she thought it was just strong wind. She's okay, thank God, but she still has no power, and I suspect it'll be a while before she gets it back. Lots of damage all over the place. I hope nobody was hurt -- and thank heavens for old fashioned land line phones that care naught for power failures and damage to cell towers.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #2791
Lastande Took
Animated Skeleton

Lastande Took has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Tornadoes certainly go to Mordor, along with people who know how to use correct or at least passable spelling/grammar but don't bother to do so. It causes me almost physical pain to see mistakes like its/it's, your/you're, no capitalization or punctuation in something posted online - you get the idea.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #2792
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Quote:
people who know how to use correct or at least passable spelling/grammar but don't bother to do so. It causes me almost physical pain to see mistakes like its/it's, your/you're, no capitalization or punctuation in something posted online - you get the idea.
Ah, yes, these spelling and grammar mistakes drive me up the wall too whenever I see them and I'm not even a native speaker. I second their assignement to Mordor.
I also wish to send floods to Mordor and the resulting train delays. Last week, my train was six hours late - which meant six more hours to spend in that train to the already thirteen I had to spend anyway. I'm also sending the conductor who was conveniently absent when we were all demanding an explanation. I still have no idea what exactly happened that made us so late.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #2793
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign putting a new band on a wristwatch. Those spring pins could have been designed by Morgoth himself for our torment.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #2794
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Seeing your brilliant giant of a father diminished in mind and body with no hope of Gandalf coming to restore him.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:30 AM   #2795
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I know what I assign today...a fight with my best friend over nothing. We were talking about the difference between the 'popularity' of a book and 'actual talent', and I gave the examples of Twilight and Harry Potter as popular books. Of course, she already knows I respect the HP series, but this time she kept insisting that I was deliberately trying to insult it, which I was not, and I said so.
She actually walked away in a huff O.O after saying that Lord of the Rings is as bad as Twilight...
Christ...
Old 07-16-2010, 01:17 PM   #2796
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I assign my credit card, which is (1) but an extension of my dad's and (2) not even useful when ordering stuff at Amazon. What else might be the purpose of my job then?

Legal Madness.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:54 AM   #2797
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Dark-Eye

The film project I got casually involved with a few months ago and which I'm trying to find a way to exit from gracefully, as the script gets worse with each draft and it becomes more and more apparent that the "professional screenwriter" responsible for it is actually a.) inept, b.) not, in fact, professional, and c.) loony.

The woman's sheer nerve and determination I might assign to Orthanc, if I didn't happen to think it more the result of a prolonged manic episode than anything else.

This thing is going to crash and burn so badly... I mean, it may be the worst screenplay I've ever read, and that's saying something.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #2798
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
I assign foolish work drama. We are not bratty children, let's stop acting them...*sigh*
Old 07-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #2799
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I assign this week.
I assign my life in general and the things which have happened. I assign the nastiness that the world threw up in our faces and sadness that has come over my friends; and especially assign being so far away from everyone and everything I know that I am no help at all to those who are closest to me.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #2800
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
This could be a little more sonic....

I assign getting Hunter*moment of silence*'s new hard drive enclosure in the mail today, only to realize that I've misplaced my dinky screwdriver and thus can't open the contraption to put his little brain into it.

Also, nearly slitting my wrist with a steak knife trying to rectify the above. (I'm fine.)
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote