The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2441
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
little Lindale's rant

I want to burn myself in Mount Doom for even thinking this, but I was annoyed like I've never been (at school at least) when three idiot second years started discussing the Gaza crisis--and related it to the Bible, which they must not have read in full. They asked why God allowed his 'chosen people' to do those horrid things at Gaza, discussed the ten plagues of Egypt, why the Palestinians ought to be terminated simply because they were 'pagan', and why Hitler was the Devil incarnate. And then one of them asked, why are there even Jews in Europe 'as early as the Renaissance'? Wasn't Marx a Jew? At that point I lost control of my nerves... I don't want to say here what I told those... sophomores, because I might want to look for a boiling vat of oil to jump to.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #2442
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I assign being busy and tired all the time.

But fortunately, it should get better in a week or two.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #2443
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Swedish essays, grr. Doing them too late because of laziness. Besides I just realised that porr is the most ridiculous word ever.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #2444
Vaine
Haunting Spirit

Vaine has just left Hobbiton.
I assign oppression.
Vaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #2445
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Lots of work. Sickness.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #2446
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Having my first classes of the semester at the same time as the inauguration. What a shame it was to miss it.

Also, attempting to make a one mile walk to and from my off-campus dance class in under fifteen minutes due to the fact that I have other classes which are on-campus right before and after the dance class. I have a really tight schedule this semester...
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 AM   #2447
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Buying a damaged shirt for my bro's birthday present. I was busy and didn't notice it had a large rip at the back. I'm gonna have it replaced first thing tomorrow. I feel really bad about it.

Oh. And finding out whites are gonna star in a clearly Asian influenced Avatar The Last Airbender movie. It's as bad as finding out PJ wants to split Hobbit into two movies. Uck.

Legal Madness.

Last edited by Lindale; 01-21-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM   #2448
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindale View Post
Oh. And finding out whites are gonna star in a clearly Asian influenced Avatar The Last Airbender movie.
That's okay. If you notice, 90% of Asian anime seems to be charactered by caucasian looking toons. In fact, to me, every last one of them looks like the original Speed Racer cartoon as far as facial features. It's strange.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #2449
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
When snow turns into rain which turns the fresh snow into an ugly brown slush and by nightfall eventually becomes ice. Ew.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #2450
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
When snow turns into rain which turns the fresh snow into an ugly brown slush and by nightfall eventually becomes ice. Ew.
Ditto. It's been doing that here too.

Except for some totally godless reason, my school uses purple rock salt, so factor that in to the color of the horrible stuff you have to walk through...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 PM   #2451
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Getting your index finger run through by the sewing machine. This isn't the first time this has happened to me, but it's been years since I did it, and that was on a much more powerful machine. I didn't think this one even had enough oomph to do it (considering that it sometimes balks at denim). Thank God my husband was home, though, because it was good and stuck, and I couldn't've gotten my finger free (or the needle out) on my own (he needed pliers, as it was). I can just picture what would've happened had this been daytime; I would've had to pick up the machine with my free hand and get across the room to the nearest phone and call 911. How... annoying. Not to mention painful. And potentially embarrassing.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:30 PM   #2452
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Women who start foaming at the mouth and spewing insults when you fail to conform to their notions of proper feminist behavior.

I have actually never encountered the opposite: a similar reaction to lack of traditionally feminine behavior. Go figure.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #2453
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrîniđilpathânezel View Post
Getting your index finger run through by the sewing machine.
Poor thing! My mom did that 27 years ago - I still remember her scream. *shudder*
Old 01-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #2454
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Happily, I didn't scream (although I did holler for my husband to come up from the basement). I don't think I screamed the first time I did it, or the time the needle went through the nail, came out, went halfway back again, and broke. It happens so fast and the shock is so sudden, nothing comes out. After the whole thing is over and the bleeding is staunched, THEN I go to pieces. But I did make my entire yoga class go "Eeeewwwwwh" when they asked why my finger was all bandaged up the next day.

Quote:
Women who start foaming at the mouth and spewing insults when you fail to conform to their notions of proper feminist behavior.

I have actually never encountered the opposite: a similar reaction to lack of traditionally feminine behavior. Go figure.
Sadly, I have encountered both. Unfortunately, in my humble opinion, neither type displayed anything I would consider "proper" behavior for a human being. If they had, they'd have kept their opinions to themselves rather than find fault in someone else for not sharing them. *sigh*
Old 02-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #2455
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
The policy of schools withholding transcripts if you have an outstanding bill, assigned in conjunction with grad school deadlines.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #2456
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Narrow-sighted managers who renege on their commitment when they realize it involves effort -- even if that effort would have results much larger than the effort involved.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #2457
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Mice.

Specifically dead mice.

Or maybe more specifically, the mouse that the cat caught, killed, and left in an unspecified place. So now I have to wander around and hope not to come across it unexpectedly somewhere like my bed or under my foot or something.

*dies inside*
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #2458
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Mice.

Specifically dead mice.

Or maybe more specifically, the mouse that the cat caught, killed, and left in an unspecified place. So now I have to wander around and hope not to come across it unexpectedly somewhere like my bed or under my foot or something.

*dies inside*
Oh, I know that feeling. A couple of months ago, I was rooting around in the dark recesses of our basement, looking for some box of Christmas stuff, and my foot came down on something... squishy. And smelly. It was a mouse in a trap (since our cat died several years ago), and there are few experiences I've had that were more gross. Ewwwwh....
Old 02-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #2459
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Playing the last song going into the closing hour and turning on the overnight automation to hear...the same song. Gah!

Not being physically able to stop crying, work at a computer, or indeed move my right arm when due on the air in ten minutes.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #2460
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Snow on the first day of March.

I enjoy snow in November, December, January, February...but not March. March is a time for the weather to warm up, not cool down. Two days ago it was almost 60F, and now Boston is in the middle of a snowstorm expecting up to 15 inches.

And to think I leave for Spring Break in less than a week. Where is the spring part of my break?
Old 03-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #2461
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
Snow on the first day of March.
We got snow here also: a bit further south than you are. Here it was a cause for fun, but then again, we don't often see it.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #2462
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The broadband we've had for a year or so, whose speed is now worse than dial-up. It used to be top of the line, I just don't know what happened. I even thought it was malware and reformatted, but to no avail. Customer care is not helping... and because of the two-year contract we can't get rid of it, unless we want to pay the high fine.

Legal Madness.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #2463
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I assign the two vile specimens of 'motherhood' who were drunk and shrieking at ear splitting volume about drunken exploits with blokes on the bus tonight and ignoring the two toddler girls with them despite the mites sitting there pleading "mamma" and turning to me for attention instead of their designer-clad mothers. Then one of these 'mothers' had the gall to give me a mouthful of abuse for glaring at her.

This is after spending part of the day at work reading about an investigation into child abuse and neglect cases.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #2464
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
I assign the two vile specimens of 'motherhood' who were drunk and shrieking at ear splitting volume about drunken exploits with blokes on the bus tonight and ignoring the two toddler girls with them despite the mites sitting there pleading "mamma" and turning to me for attention instead of their designer-clad mothers. Then one of these 'mothers' had the gall to give me a mouthful of abuse for glaring at her.

This is after spending part of the day at work reading about an investigation into child abuse and neglect cases.
I deal with people like that on a regular basis. It's a pity they don't appreciate what they have in their children, when so many other people long to be parents and cannot.
But then, it's the kids you really feel sorry for.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #2465
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I deal with people like that on a regular basis. It's a pity they don't appreciate what they have in their children, when so many other people long to be parents and cannot.
But then, it's the kids you really feel sorry for.
What was even more horrid was that one was clearly both mum to one of the tots and granny to the other. Grannies are supposed to be nice, loving people, aren't they? Not the sort of woman who would get drunk, swear and create mayhem.

I also assign the fact I'll probably run into them again unless I start using the car more.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #2466
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I assign the extreme feeling of loss/missing out on something that I get in connection with the Barrow Downs.

This time it was when I saw all the Barrow Downer meetings that had taken place of late. . .I guess it was enhanced by the fact that I had not been on the barrow downs for a while and already felt that I had missed alot.

(I am finding it quite hard to keep up with University and being active on the Barrow downs at the same time)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #2467
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Suddenly remembering something you said days ago and realizing it sounds rude/negative/insulting/ungrateful.

Fearing that you have a personality which dooms you to sounding mean when you don't mean to be.

Being chronically behind in your schoolwork - so far behind, marching into the afterlife and retrieving Spenser to have him write a paper on himself seems easier than catching up.

Knowing without a doubt that, at least physically, your best years are behind you.

Ok, now I've really gone and depressed myself... *sigh*
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #2468
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Bra-shopping.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #2469
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Job-searching.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #2470
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Disillusionment.

I want to believe in the inherent goodness and rationality of people.

I want to believe that Santa Claus has the best interest of small children in mind when he sneaks into their houses at night.

I want to believe that I'm not the only person on the planet who can deal with problems efficiently, without holding a grudge, with an eye on compassion for all involved.

I might be naive and idealistic. I don't care. I want to keep it. It's comforting, and I want it.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #2471
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Disillusionment.

I want to believe in the inherent goodness and rationality of people.

I want to believe that Santa Claus has the best interest of small children in mind when he sneaks into their houses at night.

I want to believe that I'm not the only person on the planet who can deal with problems efficiently, without holding a grudge, with an eye on compassion for all involved.

I might be naive and idealistic. I don't care. I want to keep it. It's comforting, and I want it.

Yes virginia all because
The truth wont save you now
Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #2472
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign having your computer not working AGAIN, because the power cord decided that it would be nice to fry!
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #2473
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
White chocolate.

It's not chocolate.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM   #2474
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
White chocolate.

It's not chocolate.
But it's still awesome! In a totally not-chocolate way. It's like drinking Pepsi. It's awful, and you know it, but it's so satisfying sometimes.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #2475
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dűm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Sick apartment-mates who are not careful about their germs.

In all fairness, I think I might be the tiniest bit germophobic, so perhaps it's just me...but I really think it's polite to keep one's germs confined to one's own room, instead of lying on the couch in the living room/dining room for days on end, spewing forth a veritable virus army that would only be too happy to make my life miserable. This is the busiest time of the year and I can't afford to get sick.

Fea--What you call naive and idealistic, I call optimistic. There aren't enough of us in the world these days. I'm darn proud of those characteristics in myself, and you should be too. There's no rule that says that once you hit a certain age, you must stop believing in everything worthwhile.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:13 PM   #2476
AbercrombieOfRohan
Shade of Carn Dűm

AbercrombieOfRohan has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AbercrombieOfRohan
April Fool's Jokes...
AbercrombieOfRohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #2477
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Being the only person working on a paper when everybody else is enjoying summer break. And getting even more distracted because of these, so that the paper takes longer to finish.

Legal Madness.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #2478
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Receiving and/or telling good news on the phone and getting so enthusiastic that you knock over a freshly filled mug of tea, spilling the contents over computer keyboard, mouse and every sheet of paper that didn't manage to fall off the desk in time. (Happened to me a few days ago)

Mice, too - but rather the ones the cat drags in to play with but doesn't bother to kill, leaving them to run around in the house until you manage to catch and remove them.

Last not least, bird-flu - and the stupid regulations by which our politicians tried to deal with it a couple of years ago.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #2479
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan View Post
April Fool's Jokes...
I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Receiving and/or telling good news on the phone and getting so enthusiastic that you knock over a freshly filled mug of tea, spilling the contents over computer keyboard, mouse and every sheet of paper that didn't manage to fall off the desk in time. (Happened to me a few days ago)
I am sorry. Tea is a bad thing to waste! Computers too. Two things I couldn't live without.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM   #2480
Nienna
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nienna has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to Nienna Send a message via MSN to Nienna
Standarized Testing.