The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #2841
xMellrynxMaidenx
Wight

xMellrynxMaidenx has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via MSN to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Yahoo to xMellrynxMaidenx Send a message via Skype™ to xMellrynxMaidenx
Leaf

I assign to Mordor....Mathematics in general. Because it gave me [insert any atrocious word here] during middle and high school. I had NO problems with it in Elementary, but then they added the alphabet.

I also assign to Mordor... the Twilight Saga. There's a difference in being a devoted, loyal fan and being psychotically obsessive. (Now watch an avid despiser of Harry Potter post they assign HP to Mordor It never fails. And aside from that I'm not saying ALL fans are like that, just the majority of those whom I've had the...pleasure of meeting.)

And someone on the first page said they assigned Jack Russells to Mordor...I, too, agree with this! There is NEVER a moment's peace in this house because of those yapping, over excited, horribly ill-tempered dogs.

And while I'm adding things to the list, how about hunters who apparently can't distinguish the difference between a dog and a deer. You couldn't even mistake them for coyotes!

With all of that off my chest, Nerwen I know exactly how you feel and I sympathize. I lost my cat whom I've had since I was in 6th grade to coyotes. It was, to say the least, devastating for me.
~|And all will turn, to silver glass. A light on the water, Grey ships pass, Into the West. |~ "Few now remember them...yet still some go wandering, sons of forgotten kings walking in loneliness, guarding from evil things folks that are heedless."
xMellrynxMaidenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #2842
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
My cat died a few years ago just after she had kittens. I was really upset about it. I know how you feel, Nerwen.

PJ definitely belongs in Mordor. May he rot there in the deepest hole he can find! Curse him till the end of his days! He has no right to ruin LOTR.
No offence to you, Mellrynx, but I'd assign math to Rivendell, if there was such a thing. I love working with the alphabet instead of real numbers. The one small part of ath I'd put in Mordor would be multiplying 5-digit numbers by hand.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #2843
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Having an antibiotic that you've taken many times before with no trouble unaccountably start giving very unpleasant side effects.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM   #2844
Arendil15
Pile O'Bones

Arendil15 has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye Belongs in MORDOR!!!

Raving fans that are only excited for "the hot elf" Legolas and only remember him. All kinds of math....its frustrating and detesting. Anyone who looks at the books and rejects them without a second thought. All the "popular cool people" who are just jerks to everyone else.
"Then he kissed her hand, and sprang into the saddle, and rode away, and did not look back; and only thosewho knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore." ~The Passing of the Grey Company- The Return of the King
Arendil15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #2845
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I've said this many times in various threads, and I'll say it again: may PJ rot in the deepest and darkest pit of Mordor until the end of his days!!! *and let us say: Amen*

"Anyone who looks at the books and rejects them without a second thought" - and may they join PJ.
Anyone who rejects the books without even looking at them - may they also rot there! For twice as long!

PS: if PJ somehow escapes this fate, may he be lynched by his own made-up Faramir!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #2846
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil15 View Post
All the "popular cool people" who are just jerks to everyone else.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I would guess from this comment you are still at school? This may be of little comfort if you have a long time ago until you escape compulsory education but the sort of people who are regarded as "cool" as teenagers - well surveys have shown that they will never have it so good again because the kind of snotty stuck up behaviour they display doesn't tend to make you popular in the grown up world and workplace.

So the non cool kids often get the last laugh, better education, quite possibly more interesting jobs, friends who actually like them for themselves not because they are flavour of the month.... the cool kids literally peak too soon. Hang on in there...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #2847
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Yeah! Mithalwen is so right! Even though I just started high-school and you could say that my education just started , all the bighead stuck-up cool guys from middle school are already half failing (well, they use the optiistic term: just passing). After 8 years of receiving "jerk behaviour" from them it feels so good to beat them by like 15% in almost every subject...! Don't worry, Arendil15, when time comes it'll be the other way 'round with them
Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #2848
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Arendil15,
I've been relatively sheltered from the kids who think that they're the coolest things since sliced bread, due to the nature of my school and its being populated by nerds. But I can say that my experiences at other schools really suck. High school is a horrible time, and though there is nothing I can say to make it more enjoyable to anybody, Mith is right. People who are 'cool' really aren't, and they never will be. One must stick with their friends and fellow nerds just to get through this horrible time. The upside is that there are classes and such that you can take at other schools, at universities, and AP classes that are for students who want to do well and learn. There is always the option of a nice Liberal open optional education (Shameless school-plug).
Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 AM   #2849
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xMellrynxMaidenx View Post
I assign to Mordor....Mathematics in general. Because it gave me [insert any atrocious word here] during middle and high school. I had NO problems with it in Elementary, but then they added the alphabet.

I also assign to Mordor... the Twilight Saga. There's a difference in being a devoted, loyal fan and being psychotically obsessive. (Now watch an avid despiser of Harry Potter post they assign HP to Mordor It never fails. And aside from that I'm not saying ALL fans are like that, just the majority of those whom I've had the...pleasure of meeting.)(
I can sympathize with you. I am going through that torture right now. Maths. *shudder* I don't think I'll live.

Haha. The Twilight Saga. My old arch-enemy. Let's not even go there.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #2850
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I also hate Twilight. I don't understand how all my friends are upsest with it.
But, as I said before, I love math!

Last edited by Galadriel55; 02-12-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #2851
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I also hate Twilight. I don't understand how all y friends are upsest with it.
But, as I said before, I love math!
Ugh for Twilight.
Double ugh for Maths.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 AM   #2852
Andsigil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Andsigil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign to Mordor the Sauronic devastation wrought in California's Central Valley in the name of the Delta Smelt.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #2853
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I am quite annoyed that over the last few days there have known the answer to a few "Quotes" and "Quiz" questions. Normally this would be nice, but I dare not answer since I did not bring my books with me to England. (This would make it quite difficult to come up with a new quote)

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #2854
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Allergies.

I'm supposed to be on vacation. Vacation isn't supposed to involve flu symptoms. Flu symptoms are supposed to be caused by the flu, not by your pillow. Pillows are supposed to cradle and love you, not inflict death upon you (unless you're Desdemona). Fail, hotel room, fail.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #2855
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I hate allergies! I'm sorry they ruined your vacation, Fea.

Quote:
Ugh for Twilight.
Double ugh for Maths.
Yay for math.
Urgh for twilight.
Tripple Urgh for essays - I hate the guts of the person who invented essays, because now everyone has to write essays.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 AM   #2856
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Tripple Urgh for essays - I hate the guts of the person who invented essays, because now everyone has to write essays.
Mind you they may have blessed them at the time because it probably saved them from a surfeit of Vivas...

Old 03-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #2857
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Mind you they may have blessed them at the time because it probably saved them from a surfeit of Vivas...
Probably, but now they made every student suffer!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #2858
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I can sympathise - I have recurring nightmare that I have to do an essay for my degree - overnight about books I haven't read and all the rest of my cohort have already done. Even though I graduated longer ago than I want to admit to.

But I still think I would rather write a paper than do a viva voce.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #2859
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I also assign this half-winter-half-spring weather we're having in Toronto. I hate having to shovel "snow" (*cough cough... more like slush) when its raining on your head! Disgusting weather!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #2860
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I assign this 80 degree heat! I'd fit nicely in Mordor.

Edit: Last two posts:
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #2861
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Fake Sale Signs

Imagine walking through the grocery store. And you see that fabulous yellow tag just below your favorite item. The yellow tag that suggests it's ON SALE! Woo hoo!

You walk quickly toward it. You grab the box of Annie's organic cheddar bunny shaped pasta. And before you celebrate not paying full price, you see that the price on the yellow sale tag is the SAME price as the normal price listed above it!

Those sneaks! Make you think you're getting a good deal when in reality you're getting the same deal as always!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #2862
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Those sneaks! Make you think you're getting a good deal when in reality you're getting the same deal as always!
Bad people, my preciousss, bad, nassssty, stupid cheaters!

Once I saw a tag like that said that there was a sale, and it did indeed have a sale. It was exactly $0.5 cheaper than usual.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #2863
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post

You walk quickly toward it. You grab the box of Annie's organic cheddar bunny shaped pasta. And before you celebrate not paying full price, you see that the price on the yellow sale tag is the SAME price as the normal price listed above it!
I LOVE THOSE! You also eat organic?
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #2864
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Guardian View Post
I LOVE THOSE! You also eat organic?
Whenever it's feasible to do so. I was actually after white cheddar shells, but they were out, so I went with 'Arthur' themed noodles and bunny shaped ones, which stunned and delighted a pair of small girls. I like to eat things that only contain actual food products, and I like my ingredient lists on pre-made things to be only a few items long, if at all possible. I'm not horribly picky, and once in a while I'm still going to get one of those godawful fifty cent 'apple pie' things that have an infinite shelf life and are glazed with the sugar equivalent of crack. But I likes me apples to have no ingredients except 'apple' and my orange juice to consist of 'orange juice' and maybe, for diversity, 'pulp' and a smattering of 'water'. I like water. I don't like high fructose corn syrup. If you need to sweeten your oranges, you did something terribly wrong to the orange.

And the only tomatoes I'll eat are locally grown, because any tomato that's durable enough to survive the shipping and refrigerating process almost invariably tastes like cardboard. *twitch* But then, I live in the boondocks, so between the end of April and the end of October, I get all/most of my produce from farm stands anyway. Same goes for desserts: when you get your caramel glazed cinnamon rolls from an Amish bake sale every Friday, you can guarantee they're organic.

But on the subject of Mordor... The fact that it's not time for my favorite farm stand to be open yet! I have to wait almost two months still! Winter produce makes me sad. It's so flavorless. I'm a raw foods kind of a kid (mmm sushi), so when the options are either 'shipped from somewhere far, far away' or 'frozen,' I get sad because it's just not the same as having a brown paper bag full of sugar snap peas that you can eat while driving with the windows down.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:42 AM   #2865
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Dark-Eye

This is going to sound rather petty and whiny, and indeed it is a pretty small annoyance in the scheme of things, but nonetheless:

Fake gift-giving. That is, the practice of buying someone a "present" with yourself in mind, then immediately asking for a long-term loan of said present. Really, who do they think they're kidding? (Yes, yes, this just happened to me, of course– can't you tell?)
Old 04-15-2011, 03:54 AM   #2866
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Azrakhor Akallabeth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azrakhor Akallabeth
Omg! Omg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anguirel View Post
Most Alsatians. Horrible, wolfy things...

All Jack Russells, without exception.

Vodka. That really is orc-liquor...

Dill. Foul, vile, evil, insidious herb...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAaaaaaaaaaaaha hhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahHHHhHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAA AAAAAAAhhhhhHHHHhHHAhHAaaAAAAAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AAAAAAAh! Oh my.
Azrakhor Akallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #2867
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

Life is like a fistful of Russell Stovers...

After reading some of this thread (and counting) I have to say that one thing is certain- true Tolkien fans are some of the liveliest, ultra-witty and intelligent bipedal (and otherly ambulatory) humanoids in all of Middle Earth. It's no wonder when the overly self-congratulating find the Professors work to be uninteresting. They appear to lack the depth to appreciate the richness of his. Such amazing men as he are not only extremely rare, but are (very nearly) responsible for making this life worth all the trouble (how many parenthesis is one allowed per paragraph?).

So, having voiced that scathing and abrasive opinion (concerning out-worlders), I must second the sentiments concerning all dullards who think Tolkien's work is boring (at best) and annoying (in the least), and the "Legolasites", or however one might pronounce it (sounds like parasites), who are only in it for the killer cool contact lenses and the sick snow sledding shield. These, without a doubt, come from Mordor as surely as will my (someday) future mother-in-law.

And to add my own personal bias- Anything that walks with more than four legs.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 AM   #2868
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Pssst - we put good stuff in this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrakhor
Anything that walks with more than four legs.
Caterpillars are ok.

Quote:
This is going to sound rather petty and whiny, and indeed it is a pretty small annoyance in the scheme of things, but nonetheless
Isn't it the little petty things that make up our daily troubles?

Quote:
Fake gift-giving. That is, the practice of buying someone a "present" with yourself in mind, then immediately asking for a long-term loan of said present. Really, who do they think they're kidding? (Yes, yes, this just happened to me, of course– can't you tell?)
How cheap and annoying! I feel really lucky that this didn't happen to me. Whoever did this to you has no brains.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:32 AM   #2869
Azrakhor Akallabeth
Animated Skeleton

I'm skeptible...

Re: Caterpillars are ok.

To WHOM it may concern;

PERHAPS, this ONE concession. But only because you're a serious Tolkienite, lol!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #2870
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

People who switch off their brains when they switch on their technological devices and expect you to provide postcodes for their sat nav for buildings clearly marked off the main drag.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #2871
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Videos that take forever to buffer and then get stuck every four or five seconds.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #2872
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Tornadoes. It's been a terrible day for them in my neck of the woods. There have been many deaths. It's the grace of God that my community had no major damage.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 AM   #2873
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Glad you're ok, Zil!
Old 04-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #2874
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Thanks, G55.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #2875
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
/\
/\
I second that.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #2876
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Thanks, mate.

As I said, I and my family were spared from any serious danger by chance. I second Bombadil's "if chance you call it", though.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #2877
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Thumbs up

I'll third it, then. So glad you're all right, Zil.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #2878
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Thanks, Nerwen.

I've only spoken to Leyrana Silumiel once or twice via PM, but I think she was in Tuscaloosa, which sustained an incredible amount of damage. If so, let's pray she's all right.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #2879
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

I assign computers that do crazy things behind your back.

My computer decided that it will have lots of fun erasing all the memmory and all the programs (even those basic ones like Word), and instead of showing a window for the internet it now covers the whole screen, without the blue border or anything, even covering the Start button... I'm practically banging my head against the wall trying to get it to work properly...and not succeeding, obviously...
Old 09-18-2011, 11:42 PM   #2880
Elfchick7
Wight

Elfchick7 has just left Hobbiton.
I assign uncompensated teachers' meeting on Sundays. I also assign Taiwanese parents who refuse to see when their children have serious problems all in the name of saving face.