The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 PM   #1
Elladan and Elrohir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elladan and Elrohir has just left Hobbiton.
Question Frodo leaves Sam behind

In the Visual Companion to The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (which I just happened to look at in Wal-Mart today), it says Gollum persuades Frodo to leave Sam behind and venture into Shelob's Lair alone.<P>What's up with this? I mean, it's totally something Gollum might be expected to do (wanting Frodo to meet Shelob alone), but Frodo? He just leaves his best, first, and last companion behind while he goes into danger? Do the directors really think we'll swallow this?<P>I'm sure a lot of you have heard about this; what's your thoughts?

THE HOBBIT - IT'S COMING
Elladan and Elrohir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
Eowyn:Lady of Rohan
Pile O'Bones

Eowyn:Lady of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

It may be that Gollum persuades Frodo to leave Sam. But I don't think Frodo would do that. Frodo knows in his heart that Sam helped him get this far to destroy the Ring. Even if Frodo tried to leave Sam, Sam would follow him. I don't think Peter Jackson will make it so that Frodo won't have Sam. Does that comfort you?<p>[ 11:43 PM November 25, 2003: Message edited by: Eowyn:Lady of Rohan ]
Old 11-26-2003, 05:49 AM   #3
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Frodo does appear to be alone when he sees Shelob in the trailer.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:16 AM   #4
Tigerlily Gamgee
Hostess of Spirits

Tigerlily Gamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tigerlily Gamgee
Silmaril

There was a dialogue from the video game that involves a scene where Frodo says something along the lines of, "You can't help me anymore. Go home, Sam."<BR>But do you really think that Sam would let Frodo go in there alone. I mean, he would be heart broken by the fact that Frodo says that to him... but he'll follow.<BR>One thing that PJ has been doing throughout the film is making the ring's hold on Frodo stronger earlier on. So, the way that it is going, I can see Frodo being seduced by the ring and telling Sam to leave.<BR>Does this upset me... no, not really. PJ's been doing a great job, and I think it'll all work out.
Tigerlily Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #5
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This worries me just a bit (how could PJ even think of doing something like this?!) but not much. As mentioned before, The Ring got a stronger hold of Frodo earlier on and so my guess is that it's the Ring "talking". Sam would never leave Frodo and I don't think Frodo would purposely hurt Sam's feelings by telling him to go away.

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hmmmm...I wonder if this means the scene will be blocked differently than the book, so that Frodo does not get to do his whooping and yelling charge after he breaks the spider's thread that blocks the exit. I always liked that part. It illustrated a good point in the follies of Frodo; his becoming 'fey' at this point to me deepens his character by having it snap just a bit. From the descriptions above, it sounds like I might not get to see this, or perhaps PJ has translated Frodo's 'fey' mood into his bad judgement in going into the tunnel alone with Gollum and leaving Sam outside ( ). It could work, and who knows, I might still get to see Frodo whooping and hollering as he runs out the other side of Shelob's lair! I always thought that was a well done piece of tension breaking on Tolkien's part, but maybe that was because I'm sitting inside Frodo's head an awful lot and can understand why he needs that moment. I'll wait and see on this one...it could work!<P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

It might work out to Frodo wanting to leave Sam behind...but I think it's just another excuse to bring up the whole "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee" thing...which I thought was too used in the fellowship.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 02:49 PM   #8
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"You can't help me anymore. Go home, Sam."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I will be quite upset if that happens. Although PJ might get it straightened out, it wouldn't be any good at all to have Sam leave Frodo! I guess we'll have to wait & see...
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 PM   #9
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If Frodo leaves Sam behind, then why this picture in the Companion?<BR><A HREF="http://elflady.com/legolasgreenleaf/rotk/misc/images/vc_008.jpg" TARGET=_blank>Sam and Shelob</A><BR>If that doesn't work for you, here's the whole gallery thanks to HCIsland.<BR><A HREF="http://elflady.com/legolasgreenleaf/rotk/misc/vc.htm" TARGET=_blank>ROTK Visual Companion Scans</A><BR>Look at the picture in the left column, third from the bottom.<p>[ 10:09 PM November 26, 2003: Message edited by: Grimbold ]
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Thumbs up

Actually, this sounds like a true theory. Only Sam doesn't leave him, he comes after him and chases him in to the tower. Because Frodo is indeed alone, it would appear. And the division between Sam and Frodo has been ongoing since TTT.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:16 PM   #11
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>it's just another excuse to bring up the whole "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee" thing...which I thought was too used in the fellowship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree about this idea being overemphasized in the FOTR, <B>Ainaserkewen</B>! I don't think Gandalf had to tell him; he would have done it anyway! But, then again, perhaps Gandalf's mandate gave Sam an excuse not to admit to himself that he <I>couldn't</I> leave Frodo even if he wanted to!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>If Frodo leaves Sam behind, then why this picture in the Companion?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I suppose the idea would be that Frodo goes on into the tunnel, but Sam follows him too late and then engages Shelob...I personally would like to see them together in the tunnel, rather than one chasing the other from the outset. (in the book, Sam is chasing Frodo after they break through the web barrier on the other side of the tunnel, having been waylaid by Gollum). I can't see how that picture answers the question, and I wonder how Gollum gets after Sam if he has gone ahead, unless Gollum and Frodo go on, Gollum betrays Frodo and Gollum returns out of the tunnel to attack Sam...hmmm...not thinking too straight. Will have to consider it later! <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Although PJ might get it straightened out, it wouldn't be any good at all to have Sam leave Frodo! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ah, <B>Estel</B>, but Sam DOES leave Frodo! But he can't bear to do it for more than a short time, bless him! I can't see Frodo getting more than a few steps out of sight, when Sam would have to dart after him, yelling, "Mr. Frodo! Mr. Frodo! Don't leave me!" <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #12
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

No matter if Frodo told Sam he would die if he followed him, Sam would still follow Frodo, it is just the Sam is. His will was set and only death would break it.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #13
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Ah, Estel, but Sam DOES leave Frodo! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Um...he does? Can you give me an exact quote on that? I just read that section today & saw nothing like that, unless I had fallen asleep & skipped or something .
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 PM   #14
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

If you want to know whether Sam leaves Frodo in RotK, try clicking on the (second) link given by Gorwingel <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=002462" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.<P>But only do it if you <I>really</I> don't mind learning just about everything there is to know about this film.