The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2008, 05:45 PM   #321
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Just do it!
I did...I mean only recently because I kept putting it off then forgetting to (procrastinator speaking), but anyway...

I sent messages to three more, but unfortunately Farael's PM box is full and I don't know any other way to contact him...
Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 PM   #322
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Hey friends!

Sorry that I've been absent so long, but priorities shift with the years.

Thin walled me on Facebook to invite me to play (which I greatly appreciate) and so I thought I'd at least poke my head in and respond.

Sadly, I am 100% unable to participate in the game. I'm working at a Christian Camp in Tyler, TX for 13 weeks this summer. Because of this, I have extremely limited communication during the week... as in none. I have about 24 hours on the weekends that I have internet and phone access time, which is completely incompatible with a Werewolf game.

I do wish you all the best of luck... even Roa. (Actually, especially Roa.) I haven't had time to read through all the changes you all have discussed, but I trust that you've taken the initial game in great consideration and have altered whatever necessary to arrive at a spectacular sequel. I might check on occasion to see how things are progressing, but likely as a silent observer.

Good luck to all. And may Good prevail!

Sincerely,
Gurthang the Black Wizard
Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 PM   #323
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sleepy is busy with exams and won't be able to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurthang
I do wish you all the best of luck... even Roa. (Actually, especially Roa.)
Why, thank you.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 PM   #324
The Elf-warrior
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Elf-warrior is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via Skype™ to The Elf-warrior
I think I'd better wait for a less demanding werewolf game, especially since I'm gonna start a new job on the 7th.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #325
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Sorry - been away taking care of moving issues for the past couple of days...

I think I shall be a candle maker.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #326
Isabellkya
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Isabellkya is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Is it too late to join?

I'd love to play, if still possible.

If so.. may I be your sister Shasta?

Hmm.. A girl whom loves asparagus and throwing knives. :P
Old 06-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #327
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
A chandler! Good, we needed one. I'd like to place an order, please. One dozen candles of every color, to be delivered promptly upon finish.

Edit: Isabell! You made it! Certainly you may be my sister, if you don't mind being advanced in ages. I'm a grandfather now.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:05 PM   #328
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Isabell will be Shasta's sister so also Greenie's sister in law! One more gammer to the village! Yay!

The game begins within an hour and the roles will be sent then.

It will be Night1 first so only those with roles will have something to do the first Night . The Day1 breaks in 25 hours...

I'll be sending the roles to those who will initially have one around the deadline. If you receive no PM from me you can count yourself as an ordinary villager to begin with.

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:07 PM   #329
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabellkya View Post
If so.. may I be your sister Shasta?

Hmm.. A girl whom loves asparagus and throwing knives. :P
If you're Shasta's sister you won't be "a girl" but the "gammer" who loves to throw knives - which indeed sounds a lot better!

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-01-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #330
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

It seems the 'Downs clock is once again a bit twisted.

I sent the narration of Night1 at 11 PM GMT sharp but the thread shows it is sent at 10.56 PM GMT.

So we will follow the real time and not the 'Downs time so long as they are two different things.

I will end the Days immediately when my computer's clock turns into 11.01 PM GMT (I will have the post ready and click it in when the minute changes) and thence all the votes that have been posted before that are counted in and all those coming after it will not be counted.

I will check the rules for the wizards and make a few extra rulings on the basis of my discussions with the wizards.

I will also be sending you an airview of the village tomorrow so that you can see how the village looks like and may use it in your posts if you wish. I will myself use that in the narrations anyhow.

Good game for everyone!
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #331
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I wonder if it's a sign of addiction that a few days ago I adjusted my computer clock so that it would be in accordance with the Downs clock...

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to end the days about five minutes earlier than what the Downs clock shows. It might work vice versa, but I'm afraid that this would cause people to mess up the deadline.
Wouldn't it be easier to consider the Downs time as the real one?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #332
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to end the days about five minutes earlier than what the Downs clock shows. It might work vice versa, but I'm afraid that this would cause people to mess up the deadline.
Wouldn't it be easier to consider the Downs time as the real one?
We'll go with the majority with this.

To me at least my computer's clock is the easiest reference as it is always there in the bottom-right corner and is guided by the operating system to be correct all the time - and changing all the time as well by itself. To find the 'Downs time you need to scroll to the bottom of your page and to refresh it everytime you need to confirm what the time is.

I'll vote for the "real time" but if the majority thinks the 'Downs time is better then I'm ready to approve of that.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #333
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh, by the way....I made a family chart of my own (I got super bored over the weekend), so I'll share it with everyone else. The only things missing are Morm's occupation and Eonwe's age and job.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r...ilytrees-2.jpg
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #334
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

That's nice indeed!

I will link that to the actual game thread before Day1 begins unless Roa has even better chart to bring forwards!

Just using the magnifying feature of the site makes it pretty informative and clear.

Thanks Sally!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM   #335
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I'll vote for the "real time" but if the majority thinks the 'Downs time is better then I'm ready to approve of that.
I'll add my vote to that. I cannot tell you how many times I've missed a bloody deadline because of a mere seconds' difference between the Downs and computer clocks. Though, I don't know if everyone else has had this problem.

Also, pardon if its been already specified, but does everyone recieve a PM of their role (I mean ordos too) or do only the wolves, gifteds, GW und BW?
Thanks for any help, sorry to be a bother.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #336
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

No, Sally's chart is the win. Plus I don't have anymore free time before the start of Day 1, for which I will be at least a few hours late unless my schedule suddenly changes.

Also, it's unlikely that I'll be around toward the end of each Day. Just so everyone knows.

((((((Pssst, Sally, Rikae and and I are sisters.))))))

Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 PM   #337
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I think it makes sense to go by the time that is actually stamped on each and every post we make. That way it will be very very easy to see which votes count and which have been cast too late.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #338
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
++ 'Downs Time
Old 06-02-2008, 08:45 AM   #339
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Voting this far:

Real time deadline:
Nogrod
The Ka

'Downs time deadline:
Aganzir
tp
Gwath

The result of this vote will be enforced at the beginning of Day1 (eg. in about 6 hours) with simple majority-rule.

Sally, could you post the familychart into the actual game thread before Day1 starts? If not, then send it to me and I can embed it into some of the first posts of mine - like the one with the airview of the village (coming soon).
Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #340
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++real time

I only just noticed that the Downs clock is off (again...). Who knows whether it's going to be off by a constant time and the gap to real time won't change now and then (like last time). I'm for staying with real time and some lenience with posts coming in a minute late.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #341
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Real time, please!
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM   #342
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Indeed, real time. We can all check our own time on the computer clock and be sure it's okay, and have it clear and not make any mistake with missing the DL. It's also easier to look up the computer clock (I have never ever looked at the Downs' clock). The only thing is how the posts are marked, but that has no value. Because a) there is no need for us to care about the time at our posts, the only value we need is what time it currently is, and not what time was when X or Y posted, and we can look up the time that is on our computers; b) it's up to Nogrod, and not us, to make the mathematical operations necessary to determine which votes are past the DL or not. In the case of using Downs time, everyone of us will have to get adapted to the weird DL time; but in this case Nog simply draws a line and as a Mod, he has the veto option to say "your vote shall not pass" anyway. As long as I, you, he, she, it sees to posting in time according to my, your, his, her, its own computer time, then all of us will post in time, of course. Where's the problem?

So, shortly and simply

++real time

P.S. And oh, Sally, this is really brilliant. What a skilful girlfriend do I have
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM   #343
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
++Downs Time

I prefer seeing exactly where posts fall in relation to the deadline, personally.
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM   #344
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
Oh, by the way....I made a family chart of my own (I got super bored over the weekend), so I'll share it with everyone else. The only things missing are Morm's occupation and Eonwe's age and job.
You probably won't be able to add this, but just so people know, I'll be 22 and since Rikae hasn't said whether she's accepted me or not as an apprentice, I'll be her uofficial helper-person.

Sally- It loks really nice
Old 06-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #345
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
A funny observation: this thread really looks like a game for itself, it's been said before, the length and such; however, now it's even closer, because we have actual voting and I found myself trying to count the votes and becoming almost as nervous as one is when actual in-game voting takes place (And now I had the itching to post a voting list... )
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #346
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Just had a chance to listen to the blackbird recording, lovely work!
(the PC at home has yet to gain audio or any interactions of the sort, unfortunately)

~ Ka
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 AM   #347
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure View Post
I'm for staying with real time and some lenience with posts coming in a minute late.
I'd be happy to embrace Mac's proposition. As it is possible that the 'Downs clock starts wandering here and there - as it has done earlier - and it may be 20 minutes or an hour off one day.

So as long it stays within a few minutes distance from the real time I'd say we basically follow the real time but will count in all votes given according to the 'Downs time (eg. 3-4 minutes after the real-time DL) as well.

How would that sound?

Eönwë: I'll add your age and occupation to the player list anyhow.

Last edited by Nogrod; 06-02-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:03 PM   #348
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Remember to turn invisible!

Those of you who haven't done that before go to "user cp", then "edit options" and then "use invisible mode" and save the settings for the duration of the game.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #349
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Remember to turn invisible!

Those of you who haven't done that before go to "user cp", then "edit options" and then "use invisible mode" and save the settings for the duration of the game.
I was so excited about the game that I did that 3 days ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #350
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
++Downs Time

I prefer seeing exactly where posts fall in relation to the deadline, personally.
That should not be a problem since there will be a time stamp on the deadline post as well.

++real time
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #351
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

++Real Time

Because you can see it changing all the time without needing to refresh the page. Also, sometimes Downs time is out by a few minutes.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:20 PM   #352
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Noggie, I love the way you wrote:
Quote:
+ Eönwë, Rikae's unofficial helper-person
Made me laugh.
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #353
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Downs time - what is real time, after all?
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #354
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
what is real time, after all?
Getting philosophical? Just don't give me a chance to start over that kind of issues here...
Old 06-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #355
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
++Real time.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #356
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I vote for Downs Time.

If we go with real time, we have no way of knowing whose clock says what. I know for a fact from Nogrod's posts about time that my clock is 3 minutes faster than his. The Down's clock is a universal standard that is easy for everyone to see, and with each post being time-stamped, it's even easier to compare to the Downs clock to see which votes made it by deadline. Otherwise we could have arguments starting, "Well my clock said it was 10:56 GMT! My vote should count!" and so on and so forth. Using the Downs Clock avoids this kind of thing all together.

Honestly, this game is going to be crazy enough with out everyone trying to figure out what time it is and whose clock is fast or slow. Best to avoid extra confusion.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #357
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Quote:
Getting philosophical? Just don't give me a chance to start over that kind of issues here...
Well, I could be going at almost the speed of light, in which case, my clock could be years out.

Anyway...

Edit: in my original post I was going to say that I changed my mind but no I stick with my previous thought.

Last edited by Eönwë; 06-02-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #358
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roa_Aoife View Post
If we go with real time, we have no way of knowing whose clock says what. I know for a fact from Nogrod's posts about time that my clock is 3 minutes faster than his.
Usually, in your computer, at least on Windows, one can synchronise, resp. even actualise the synchronisation in the clock setting window. When you are connected to the internet, the computer of course does that from time to time itself. And I would presume the synchronised time to be the same.

Quote:
The Down's clock is a universal standard that is easy for everyone to see, and with each post being time-stamped, it's even easier to compare to the Downs clock to see which votes made it by deadline. Otherwise we could have arguments starting, "Well my clock said it was 10:56 GMT! My vote should count!" and so on and so forth. Using the Downs Clock avoids this kind of thing all together.
I think it was good note what Nog said that we cannot be sure which direction the Downs Clock is gonna go - tomorrow, it may show 6 PM at 4 AM or who knows. Besides, if Nog is going to go with Mac's idea and be somewhat tolerant as he said (and also us players can help it a little by at least once trying to vote earlier *cough cough*), I can see no problem with someone posting after DL.
Besides, there was often someone who posted late, even when the clock was okay, and on the other hand, I am sure there were times when the clock was not okay but no one had any problem. I think we may be making too much off a fuss of nothing (so I should shut up, right ).
Old 06-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #359
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
++real time (with some leniency)

As mentioned, we never know how off this clock is going to get and if it becomes more than a few minutes, things will get pretty confusing. I know I hardly ever check the Downs clock anyway, so if we did go by Downs time I'd probably still go by real time out of habit.

If Nogrod is lenient by a few minutes, I don't see why real time should be a problem. Besides, it's not always necessary to vote to the very last minute anyway. If you're worried about missing the deadline, just vote earlier...
Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #360
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I was so excited about the game that I did that 3 days ago.
I just left it from last ww...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So as long it stays within a few minutes distance from the real time I'd say we basically follow the real time but will count in all votes given according to the 'Downs time (eg. 3-4 minutes after the real-time DL) as well.

How would that sound?
Good by me.

I would say voting early would help, but I'm too much of a realist to believe that in any good WW people vote early in droves beyond the reason of simply not being around to read. Something always happens, there's always a maverick post that sends us off the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
Downs time - what is real time, after all?
How we invest so much in the guise of reality m'friend...

~ Ka