User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2002, 02:17 AM   #361
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Adanedhel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

As the morning sun rose Rira stood topside already smoking his pipe and puffing long, grey circles into the air, he peered out ahead of the boat then moving back to the cabin wheel and took hold of it his hands loosely steering the ship as though it was an extention of his body.
As the occupants of the ship rose for breakfast the Captain was surprised at how well the different races on the ship seemed to get along as though there were no barriers. This made the him think as they must have been through some tough and certainly testing times for them to break down such barriers.

He shrugged and let the thought slip from his mind as two of the Men from Dale came topside and he watched with curiosty as one seemed to hold himself as though he was someone very important or great, Rira stroked the stubble on his chin and the long scar that ran along his cheek from a Corsair's dagger. As he ran his index finger along the reddish and raised scar he thought 'A Corsair that never returned home'

Rira stopped stroking the scar and turned his eyes back to the river, he watched the currents and from memory judged the width and depth of the river ahead, with these thoughts he yelled out to Bram:

'First Mate Bram! Full sails! We have a deep section of the river ahead and wish to take advantage of the fact'

Rira listened with smile as Bram relayed the message perfectly and Men and Elves ran to perform the task, climbing rigging and untying ropes. He looked up at the clear azzure sky and tried to judge how long the wind would last.

'Hmmmm, a few hours at the most'

He said stroking his chin, then he heard.

'What would?'

The Captain turned hiding his surprisement to see Bram standing next to him watching the crew carry out the tasks given not 30 seconds ago by the Captain, he took the pipe from his mouth and said.

'The wind. With this wind we may even get to Lorien quicker than i thought'

He still looked at the sky trying to decipher if any bad weather was coming, and to his dissapointment he saw to the west he saw dark clouds just above the tree tops, he puffed three times in quick sucession on his pipe a frown creasing his brow.

'We have a storm coming, maybe in the next day or so. It looks like it could cause trouble so i want everything tied down, including anything in the cabins themselves, this river is dangerous in bad weather and i don't want to risk lives or equipment'

He looked over at Bram, who was nodding slightly and stroking an irregular bump on his nose.

'See that it's done by dusk today'

The Captain said sweeping his eyes over the deck and locating all the people on the deck and what they were doing. He saw two Elves and a Dwarf sitting on boxes and talking idle chatter near the anchor release and a Man from Dale dealing cards to a group consisting of Elves and Dwarves.
Rira turned to Bram and asked.

'I have been watching your crew and I have noticed that they all get along very well....'

He puffed on his pipe twice and blew two dark rings into the air, watching them disappear into the air.

'How was is that such a diverse group can get along without fighting or arguements between them?

[ November 08, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 10-31-2002, 05:52 AM   #362
Tharkűn
Pile O'Bones

Tharkűn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*****DALE-Garlin*****

As the four men limped from the scene of the battle (thanks to Ethar's wounded leg), they realized that the only way they could understand each other was through Ethar, who only knew a small amount of Nurnian, which was very frustrating to all of them. After a while, they decided that it was time to camp, judging by the fact that the sun was setting. After some time, the to men of Nurn decided it would also be a good idea for a watch to be kept. And so, when Jarl and Gramil walked into the firelight, they saw Garlin lying on the ground beside Ethar, and the two Nurnish circling the camp.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Tharkűn ]
Old 10-31-2002, 08:15 AM   #363
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Harad/Umbar

Urken looked the man up and down. His contact in Harad had apprised him of Jarl's interests and activities. The man was a trader, but his influence went far beyond that sphere. He'd heard the man had a nose for political intrigue and a respect for those who dealt in such things.

Urken seated himself at the table and introduced himself. Then he explained, "I am travelling now with King Fuinur. I believe you have some acquaintance with one of his retainers, a gentleman by the name of Gramil who is a master of trade and in other matters as well."

Jarl nodded his head to indicate his general assent, but like the wise man that he was, refused to give any further indication of his mission or companions.

Urken was not so circumspect. "I will be blunt. I believe that we may be of some help to each other. We plan to leave tomorrow to sail towards Minas Anor which lies just two days from here. We have two seaworthy vessels with plenty of room for passengers. I have an invitation to meet with Elessar, and I believe you may find that to your liking. I will not go into the details at this time. Only know that I will give you my confidence in the course of this voyage and upon our entry to the city."

"And who shall come on this voyage which you propose?" Jarl countered.

"My invitation is open to you and any of your friends with whom you travel. But I will be blunt one more time. Among your travelling retinue, there is one other whom I wish to meet. I believe he goes by the name Al-gareth, and is acompanied by another named Al-Hafez. I am most anxious to meet these gentlemen."

Jarl narrowed his eyes and retorted, "And this anxiety you speak of, from where does it come."

"I will not speak of that here. But I give you my word of honor that I will share these things more fully once we are in a less public arena." Urken turned and glanced around the Inn, as if he expected to see something which he feared.

At that moment, however, he broke into a smile. King Fuinur was advancing towards the table. He introduced Jarl to the King, and explained that they had travelled together. The three men spent some time sharing small confidences with each other.

At the end of the evening, Jarl saluted them in farewell, and indicated he would come to the docks tomorrow if he decided to take them up on their offer. After he left, Urken turned to Fuinur, "I believe that we need to speak with each other concerning a number of business matters. Please go ahead with your thoughts and concerns. Though I must also say, you have acquired quite a reputation in this city as one who appreciates the finer things of life, shall we say."

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 10-31-2002, 10:00 AM   #364
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

* * * DALE - Girion * * *

Girion was taken aback. Of all the things he had imagined Bram to say, this was not one of them. He had imagined aguments, fights, shouting, but reconciliation was not among the diplomatic tools he was used to.

Gingerly, he reached out a hand to the one Bram offered. Gently, they shook hands and Girion found himself smiling, despite the newness of a situation. He found that this was more satisfying than hitting someone; now he knew he had an ally, instead of a fearful enemy and suddenly he felt guilty that he had hated Bram so vehemently and for so long. If only he had spoken to him at the beginning of their journey instead of ignoring and snubbing him, he might have been able to learn a lot from this man. Even now, he felt somehow that he would be letting himself down by admitting that he had been wrong. He was not yet sure enough of himself to ask for help, especially not from someone like Bram, who he believed already thought of him as weak.

"Forgive me for having been so rude to you Bram. I am not used to being ordered around and it is not something I enjoy. I will give your regards to my father when I return, but please excuse me, I must get on with my work."

Hastily, he turned and went below deck, hoping to find some food to help prepare, a task he found he enjoyed. In the darkness of the kitchen, no one noticed Girion's bright blush, though he was so disracted, he cut his fingers several times.
Old 10-31-2002, 11:14 AM   #365
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
Sting

^^^^^^Erebor/Lonely Mountain^^^^^^

After having had a bad night wherein he had dreamed that he had been sent packing back to the lonely Mountain, Durgan rose queasily from his hammcok and climbed the ladder up on deck. As his head emerged from the hatch, he dodged a flying bucket as the ship lurched, rolling in the rising swells. Grabbing more tightly onto the rail, he heaved himself up on deck, glowering at the clouds gathering overhead. "No breakfast again!" he groaned as his stomach roiled.

(will finish this post later...)
Old 10-31-2002, 02:04 PM   #366
Nevtalathiel
Shade of Carn Dűm

Nevtalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*****DALE - Girion*****

Girion had calmed down over breakfast. He had been allowed time to think things over a little and a few quiet words with Rubin as his fingers were bandaged had improved his mood and restored the majority of his confidence. Now, let off the washing up because of his bandaged but only superficially damaged fingers, he was up on deck, enjoying the fresh air for the first time since he had boarded the boat.

The wind was brisker than ever and the sail was being whipped at the edges. Above the small vessel, clouds of a particularly malicious shade of grey were massing, no doubt preparing an attack for the travellers.

Girion felt himself instinctively reaching for the pocket where normally he kept a meagre supply of pipeweed. It would be nice to sit in a tavern and have a drink, a smoke and a game of cards, with no pressure to get on well with everyone. It had been a long time since he had been able to sit and have a drink, or several, play a few rounds of cards, lose or win a little money; he had never minded, since money was never a problem, and enjoy a smoke. His father seemed to dislike such habits, and it was true that Girion had been involved in his share of brawls, mostly as the orchestrator; for someone for whom money was never a problem, he cared over much about cheating.

For the moment though, Girion's pocket was empty and the nearest inn could have been a thousand leagues away for all he knew. As he withdrew his hand from his pocket, he thought of something else. He raced down to his cabin just as everyone else was finishing the washing up and trying to get up the stairs. Orodan whirled gracefully out of the way, maintaining his balance on the stairs despite Girion and a sudden lurch from the boat, but some of the dwarves were not as lucky. Durgan looked particularly disgruntled as he was knocked to the ground by Girion speeding past, but at that point, Girion did not care.

In his cabin, he began rifling through his belongings, searching for a small ebony box. As soon as he had found it, he turned and ran out, vaulting up the stairs and knocking over the still recovering Durgan. Once he was out on the deck, he held the small box aloft proudly and called out, only a little out of breath,

"Anyone for a game of chance?"
Old 10-31-2002, 02:47 PM   #367
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Bram spluttered at the Captain's question. 'New eyes see new things!' he thought to himself. He looked about at the crew, taking their leisure now, assigned duties done. Amazing! There did seem to be a certain sense of camaraderie which had sprung up among them. Nothing like a few disasters and tight quarters to force issues one way or the other. 'Lucky for us,' he murmured to himself, 'we seem bound in a more positive direction.'

'Well, Captain, I think this crew has weathered a few storms in its time, and from what I can gather, the problems they've come through have pulled them together instead of pushing them apart.' He went on to tell Rira of the encounter with the giant spiders of Mirkwood, the abduction of Isilya, the loss of the horses, the loss of the large wagon and subsequently the loss of most of the Dwarven wares. Yet they had to be admired. They had pulled together and gone on.

'Their last encounter was possibly their worst.' he chuckled. 'At least in many of their opinions.'

'And what was that?' asked Rira, hands on the helm. 'Something truly horrific, you say?'

'It was the unfortunate business of obtaining the ship.' he answered, eyes twinkling. 'And finding out just what went with it.'

Rira turned to him, a questioning frown on his face.

'Just me!' he said, laughing now. 'I came with the ship, and I'll be by their side til I see them delivered safe into the hands of Elessar.'

He asked to take leave of the Captain, saying that he would see that all was secured above and below deck for the coming storm. He made a mental note to himself: Best show these 'sailors' how to batten the hatches before the storm is upon us.

Once done, he walked over to where Girion was playing a friendly game of cards with Orodan, Frain, and Hringa. He stood, hands in pockets, and watched for a while, his eyes taking in every player.

At a break in the game, he asked them, in a casual manner, 'Do you think an old guy could sit in for a hand or so? Looks like an interesting game.' Girion motioned for him to pull up a crate, and dealt him out some cards. 'Hmmmm!' he murmured, a frown on his face as he arranged the cards in his hand. He looked round at the faces of his fellow players.

'Gentlemen,' he said softly, placing a half-penny on the table in front of him, 'anyone care to place a small wager on the game?'
Old 10-31-2002, 02:51 PM   #368
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Shield

****Dale - Rira****

Captain Rira watched Bram wander down to the card game and begin playing, flicking a half-penny onto the the table in front of him and saying something to the players around him. Rira smiled as he realised that Bram was most likely a very good card player and was going to lose the first few games followed by some very handy and purse enlarging wins nearer to the end.
He smiled to himself and puffed again on his pipe, this time sending 5 perfect circles into the air, he watched them evaporate near the billowing sails then returned his gaze to the river ahead.

As Rira steered the boat down the river he kept glancing up to the sky and watched the massing grey clouds coming together over the sky above, blocking out the azzure sky.

'This is going to be a nasty storm'

The Captain thought aloud, eyebrows curled down in a frown and creases on his forehead like small channels

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 11-01-2002, 02:27 AM   #369
Kettle of fish
Wight

Kettle of fish has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

***** Dale-Rubin *****

Rubin gave a wry grin as he saw Girion deftly deal the cards. Obviously the cuts to his fingers had done no damage to his card playing skills. Now, if only he was as passionate about chance as he was about being king of Dale...

Rubin unconsciously rubbed the place where he had cracked a rib last year, fighting through a tangle of fists and legs to drag Girion away from that particular card game brawl. Trust Girion to have accused a player who was twice his weight backed by a few fellows who were willing to 'demonstrate' their pal's honesty with their fists.

He sighed as he turned around. Like his father had said, even kings need their fun.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:42 AM   #370
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Bram sat hunched over his cards, a perplexed look on his face. He had lost the first three hands, won a small pot, on the fourth then lost the next two. And now with the expression he wore on his face, it appeared that luck had deserted him once again.

Orodan had begged off the game, saying he wished to see Nephros about a matter. Girion was dealing, and asked Bram, for the second time, how many cards he wanted. Of his seven cards, Bram kept three and asked for four. His expression did not improve as he placed them, one by one, into his hand, and fanned them out evenly. He sighed and put a half-penny out on the table. Hringa called and raised him two pennies. The bet was called by Girion. Frain, eyed his hand closely, and raised the stakes with a silver penny. Hringa folded, laying his cards face down, and sat back to watch the hand play out. Bram met the bet, after much consideration, and Girion, looking at his cards a last time raised the stakes again, to three silver pennies. Frain met this bet, as did Bram. Girion laid down his hand, four of a kind - kings. Frain threw down his cards in disgust, a full house, aces over queens

Bram's eyes widened and he shook his head slowly. Girion, laughing, reached for the pot, to pull it to him. His hand was stayed by the light touch of Bram's hand on his arm.

Bram laid his cards on the table, and fanned them slowly out 7,8,9,10, jack, of hearts. The other players stared at him in disbelief as he gathered the money to him, arranging the coins in neat piles. A tidy sum!

The deal had passed to him, and he was just shuffling the cards, when the first fat drops of rain hit the deck. The wind had picked up, too, and the distant sound of thunder boded ill for travel on the river.

Bram put the monies into his breeches pocket, while Girion stowed away the cards. 'Batten down the hatches!' came the call from Bram, and several teams of dwarves and Elves secured the covers over the hatches.

Rira dropped anchor, the sails were furled, and the crew and captain went below to ride out the storm.

Girion sat opposite Bram at the table in the galley, watching him drink a mug of tea. 'You didn't somehow call up that storm to bring an end to our game at a fortuitous moment, did you?' he asked him, half in jest, half in earnest.

Bram laughed at the idea. 'It was simply concidence. I have only some small skill with cards, and none with the raising of storms!' Thunder echoed through the hull, and the bright flash of near lightning, shone through the thick glass of the galley's porthole.

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-01-2002, 04:13 AM   #371
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl walked slowly back to his room. He wanted badly to go to be in Minas Anor for the meeting with the King. But something was up here, that he could not quite make out. Why was Urken so interested in Al-Gareth? And what were these 'details' he had offered to reveal during the voyage.

He entered the suite and sat in a chair by the window. His fingers were steepled, and the tips of his index fingers tapped lightly on his lips as he sat and thought about his next move.

Gramil had come in, and Jarl called to him. 'I ran into a very intresting person today, or rather I should say, he made it his business to run into me. Urken, he called himself.' Jarl rubbed his chin thoughtfully. 'He made a very interesting proposition to me. he made it clear that it would be mutually beneficial if I were to sail to Minas Anor for the King's audience, and bring Al-Gareth. He, of course, offered to take any of my companions, but he specifically asked for Al-Gareth.'

He stared out the window, at the traffic passing beneath it, as if it were the most important sight in the world. He turned his head to look at Gramil.

'Why do you think that is?' he asked
Old 11-01-2002, 04:56 AM   #372
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Shield

****DALE - Rira****

After making sure everything was prepared for the storm he went to his cabin a cosy little one bed affair with a port hole, a desk and a trunk with his own personally belonings.
The captain bent over the trunk rifling through it then his hand closed on a glass neck and a sigh of relief escaped his lips.

'Thank the Valar'

He whipsered to himself, he pulled out his hand with the prize firmly grasped. A bottle of Rira's finest red wine. He place the bottle on the desk and found a mug to pour the wine into. As he poured the dark red liquid into the mug he could smell it's beautiful aroma, and on a whim he grabbed another mug, filled it and left his cabin looking for Bram to share the dark red wine with.....

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 11-01-2002, 02:01 PM   #373
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

^^^^^^Erebor^^^^^^^

Full house! Frain was dismayed. He betted a tidy sum on winning. Well, it was just cards, right?

His thoughts strayed to the rest of the ride. A storm was coming? He had good ears. Maybe the trait made him seem a serpant, yet it was very helpful at times. He liked it not that a storm would come. Water was not what disturbed him, it was the thought of being in any way late for the Audience.

He had some new 'friends'. Hringa was somewhat...timid, in a way. Not that that was bad. Girion was a good fellow. Frain was amazing himself. He thought he knew these people when he first met them. They seem so...different now. In a good way... He thought. Strange that a few dwarves, elves and men could get along so well.

Dark clouds loomed almost overhead. Frain could hear the booming of thunder and snapped back to reality. Rain drizzled down a bit. Frain sat up from his place and silently made his down into the hull of the ship.

[ November 01, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-01-2002, 05:33 PM   #374
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

*****Rhűn Nation*****

Lovek and Ulwyte were separated, and they moved quickly through the day. The scenery did not change. When they stopped that night, Kasteni took Lovek aside.

"Lovek, your actions were very unnecessary today," Kasteni said sternly, "I am disappointed. I thought that someone with your experience would know better."

"I know, Advisor, and I apologize," Lovek said, looking down at the ground, angry that he was confronted, "But, if I may speak openly, this Ulwyte, he is not trained. He is unskilled. He should not be here with us."

"Ulwyte was chosen because he does have skill," Kasteni said, patiently, "This is an important mission, and the Great Captain would not choose just anybody. There is skill there, even if you cannot see it."

"I have been training young men for over ten years, Advisor, and I see no patience or obedience in Ulwyte," Lovek said, getting desperate, "I would see what advantage there is to having him along with us and, I apologize Advisor, but I see none."

"Do not speak of this again. And do be a bit more...civil," Kasteni scolded. He turned and walked away.

Lovek saw Kasteni go to speak with Ulwyte, and saw Ulwyte's face go from curious, to surprised, to frustrated, and finally landing on a guilty expression. Ulwyte slunk dejectedly back to the fire after Kasteni was finished with him. He approached Lovek.

"I suppose Kasteni has had a word with you as well?" Ulwyte asked.

"Yes, and I suppose we must tolerate each other, although I still do not see the point in your presence," Lovek replied.

"Well, I hope that I may prove myself on a later date," Ulwyte said bitterly.

Lovek held out his hand, and Ulwyte shook it.

The company set off early the next day. Ulwyte and Lovek did not bicker at all that day, and the day passed uneventfully. They stopped at about midday for a brief rest, then they took to the road again.

"Advisor," Ulwyte called ahead to Kasteni, "Where are we making for now?"

Lovek resisted the urge into rolling his eyes and sighing at Ulwyte's inexperienced question. He should have been able to know where they were going by the root. Lovek, however, listened to see if Kasteni would not this as well, or whether he would just tell Ulwyte and leave the issue alone...
Old 11-01-2002, 11:09 PM   #375
Guildo
Wight

Guildo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Guildo
Tolkien

<<<Eryn Lasgalen>>>
Orodan & Nefros

Orodan and Nefros had for the most part been quite joyous on the boat trip but with the sight of a storm brewing, they knew this could be trouble, trouble they where not used to without the protection of there trees.

"I say Orodan im begining to feel no more confortable than the Dwarves" said Nefros quitely

"yes Nefros, Storms like this we are not used to but stay calm we do not want the others overreacting."

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Guildo ]

Glen Sight
Old 11-02-2002, 04:18 AM   #376
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

Alkanoonion has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

*****Harad/Umbar******
At the end of the evening, Jarl saluted them in farewell, and indicated he would come to the docks tomorrow if he decided to take them up on their offer. After he left, Urken turned to Fuinur, "I believe that we need to speak with each other concerning a number of business matters. Please go ahead with your thoughts and concerns. Though I must also say, you have acquired quite a reputation in this city as one who appreciates the finer things of life, shall we say."
Staring at Urken across the table King Fuinur felt a guilty twinge as Urken mentioned his reputation of finer things in life. Fuinur realised that Urken was correct for bringing up his behaviour, but after all it was only a minor fault, true they were supposed to be maintaining secrecy but well… you only live once.

Smiling up at Urken Fuinur apologised for his behaviour and promised that he would show more discretion in the future. Looking up and noticing a serving girl Fuinur waved for another drink.

Watching Fuinur slurring his words while ordering the drink Urken slammed his hand onto the table
That is exactly what I am talking about. Now is not the time for you to be drinking, you have had more than enough wine that if we wrung you out we could fill the ships hull and make our fortunes in the wine trade. Turning to the serving girl Urken told her to bring only hot water, once the water arrived Urken removed a pouch from his robe and placed the contents into the hot cup of water, rising from the cup was a wonderful aroma that Fuinur had almost forgotten.

The smell of coffee permeated around the room, turning back to Fuinur, Urken continued his chide Fuinur for creating such a ruckus with all the parties, as he was trying to maintain secrecy.

Being embarrassed for his actions but also angry for being told off like a child Fuinur demanded whom Urken thought he taking too

Noticing that the patrons where watching them Urken lowered his voice
“ I am talking to a drunken king who needs to remember that our mission is to travel to Minas Anor!”
And that we need to maintain some small measure of discretion, now stop acting like that fool Herumir and return some sense and show us the Fuinur who we can trust with our lives.”
Saying this Urken handed the repentant king the hot coffee.
Drinking the coffee reminded Fuinur of what he was.
“ I am sorry Urken it is the drink talking, yes you are right, but can you blame me for wanting a little fun. What about you? Why have you been acting so weird?”

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 11-02-2002, 12:36 PM   #377
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

^ ^ ^ ^ Erebor/ Lonely Mountain ^ ^ ^ ^

Having finished the talk with the captain, Stonehelm was none too sure that the rough old dog should be left to his own devices. Oh, he was probably a good enough sailor, the King thought, but perhaps he has his own agenda which might bear watching. I should speak with Orodon about this, probably Durgan also.

Climbing down the ladder, he came upon the game of chance. It brought out his superstitious side and he declined to match wits with the others, although he nodded a greeting to Frain. He decided that it was an ill omen, playing this game with the storm coming on. Looking up at the gathering thunder head, he murmured words to Mahal and then also criss-crossed his right hand over his left shoulder. Then, losing interest in the game, he sought out Orodan to confer about this captain.

[ November 02, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 11-02-2002, 06:13 PM   #378
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl sifted through the assessment he had received from Gramil. Al-Gareth did appear to be someone of 'political' interest, it seemed. Though, Gramil was not sure where in that arena to place him. Someone obviously up the ruling ladder, considering the trouble that had been gone to to capture him. Al-Hafez was obviously his liegeman, and so far had not proved amenable to any discussions concerning Al-Gareth.

There had been that spark of interest, quickly banked, shown by the Nurnian when Jarl spoke of Urken's offer of passage on his ship to travel to Minas Anor. What would someone from Nurn need to speak with the High King about? Puzzles within puzzles.

He would have to see how he might strengthen the tenuous relationship he now had with this man. And it must be done quickly, if they planned to travel on the morrow by ship. Less than two days would bring them to the city, though if Jarl remembered correctly the audience would not occur until Mettarë. That would give him several additional days in Minas Tirith in which to get to know Al-Gareth better.

It was early next morning, the sun had just lightened the eastern rim of the world, when Jarl woke Garlin and they made for the docks. He had also knocked on Al-Gareth's door, and Al-Hafez had told him that they would be coming in one hour. There were some details that needed to be taken care of first. Jarl stifled his curiosity and did not inquire what those 'details' might be. He said only that they would await the arrival of the Nurnians at the docks.

He was not sure that Gramil would be traveling with them. He had not said one way or the other. Jarl had knocked at his door, and called to him that he would meet him at Urken's ship.

It was quiet in the streets of Pelargir as they made their way down to the quay. He sent Garlin along the dock, to find where the Southron ships lay at anchor, while he waited near the entry way for any sign of the Southrons. Garlin waved him down to where the two ships were tied off. Jarl and he called up to a figure they saw moving about on deck.

'May we come aboard?'
Old 11-03-2002, 12:21 PM   #379
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

***Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains***

The weather cleared that night, and when the group looked out upon the Misty Mountains at dawn, the sky was a spectacular shade of blue and the sun rising above the mountains.

They packed up quickly and set off, following an old track through the mountains. By the end of the day they were well into the land of the Beornings, before starting to turn south. They were all well aware that they didn't have much time to reach Minas Anor, and although they might be the last party there, at least they would not be late.

However, after continuing for 5 hours, the hobbits demanded a rest, and Serin heartily agreed with them. There was surely no point arriving in a bedraggled, worn out mess was there? That would hardly reflect well upon them.

"Where is our route heading, Elladan?" Brando asked curiously.

"The woods of Lothlorien," Elladan replied. "I have not been there in a long time." At this the hobbits looked happy and excited, while Mikhelm just frowned. Serin was happy to observe it was an improvement, as before he would have had much to say upon the subject.

After a while they began to set off again, Serin walking with Elrohir in front. Their talk concerned many things, and soon they were deep in thought.

Theron instructed them to walk near the Anduin, and this they did, as it would take them by Lorien, and eventually Minas Anor.

"Hobbits!" Ciri called back to them. "You are too near the water, be careful!" The younger hobbits were cheerful and running by the water, forgetting its dangers. Elladan went back to remind them, but too late. Odo stumbled upon the side, toppled, and fell in.

Elladan prepared to dive in after him, but Odo had already grabbed a rock, and was hanging on tight.

At length, when a bedraggled and soggy hobbit had been fished out of the water, the group made the awful discovery - much of their food was ruined.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:10 PM   #380
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

*****Shire******

Brando trotted along cheerfully- he'd been thrilled when Elladan had said thaey were going to Lothlorien. The Golden Wood! He'd heard so much about it from Pippin, about the elegance of the strange buildings, the trees seeming to glow, and of course, the enchanting Lady Galadriel. He was already so full of admiration for the elves, especially Ciri.

Wandering along, head filled with these thoughts, beside the water, Brando didnt hear the others shouting until he heard an huge splash behind him. Leaping away with a yelp he almost knocked over Elladan. Sheepishly untangling himself he looked back and saw Odo floundering in the water.

Fighting back the urge to giggle he fished out the pack which the hobbit had been carrying from the water. As the others pulled the soaking and embarrased Odo from the water, the younger hobbit opened the pack to check everything was Ok and gasped.

"Erm...Elladan?" Brando tugged nervously at the end of the elfs tunic. He turned around, looked slightly mystified, then looked down.

"Yes Brando?"

"I...Odo was carrying alot of the food sir, and...well look." He brandished the soggy pack and the others inspeacted its contents with dismay; the food was ruined. Odo hung his head sheepishly and although Ciri told him half heartedly that it was Ok, she wasnt helped by the running commentary from Hardo on young hobbits these days. In a slightly more sober mood, the group walked on.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:49 PM   #381
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

^^^^^^Erebor^^^^^^^

Frain was getting queasy. He could hear the wooden planks in the boat creak and squeal. Even though he was below deck he could sense it now: The water was getting deep on the main deck. Was everyone safe? Frain closed his eyes, afraid to open them again. Frain was completely breathless. Tears of fear formed behind his eyes, but he would not cry. No dwarf cries.

This is why I knew we shouldn't have stepped foot on this boat! Stay strong, it's just a storm...Frain thought, as he triped to wipe the fear away from his heart.

He wished he could help, to make sure everything-and-everyone, was alright. He opened his eyes as he heard a spray near his ear. The wall near him had srpung a small leak. Frain took a slimey, gooey substance out of his small belt-pack, and calmly covered the tiny hole.

He swallowed down his fear, and walked towards the steps that led up into the fresh air...

Utter fear almost smacked Frain to the ground. Or maybe it was the wind that blew a tattered sail to and fro. Rain pelted down and almost caused Frain to slip.

Hello!? Is anybody here? Frain could barely hear the bellow his own voice created.

He tried to move but couldn't. Maybe out of fear, maybe out of sheer shock. Frain hoped to Mahal that all was alright. He held his breath and tried to see through the darkness the storm had created.

This is real, and I'm, afraid. Frain thought to himself, no longer even trying to deny it.

Frain felt stupid, being out on the upper deck, not even knowing what to do or where to go. He only wanted to help. He was alone. He realized that even though at the beginning of his journey, he looked down on his King, there was nothing that he wouldn't do to help him. Everything has changed. Frain realized it hurt to want everything and yet nothing at the same time. He wanted to be loyal to his king and yet retain his self-image.

Thunder boomed and almost knocked Frain off his feet. Minutes went by, although to Frain it seemed like hours. He thought he saw someone-or something-to his left. He walked carefully, almost crawling to stay stable. He saw 'it' move a little, and he got closer to it.

Hello?? Frain called...

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-03-2002, 05:12 PM   #382
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

Ciri frowned as a few rather soggy hobbits argued behind her about where they were going to find food now that much of theirs had been ruined. Finally, the elf woman couldn't take it any longer.

"We won't starve, friends! For Elbereth's sake, when you travel with the Elves, hunger isn't an issue."

Then she took up her bow and, dismounting her horse, ran off lightly to go find some game.
Old 11-03-2002, 06:32 PM   #383
Belin
Shade of Carn Dűm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

*****Rivendell*****

As usual, Ciri was overly optimistic. She and Elrohir both returned with discouraged faces and empty hands. Elladan, sitting among a group of hobbits, whom nobody any longer trusted to stay away from the water, and reflecting on the ironies of his career and the question of how he had come to be designated nursemaid, greeted them with a valiant attempt to be cheerful. The lack of food worried him little on his own account--he'd gone farther on less-- but the hobbits looked sad and dismayed, and Elladan could only imagine what it would be like, trudging through the wilderness with the despairing and half-starved. Fanelen returned soon afterward, with a couple of rather unimpressive fish.

"Doesn't anything live out here?" burst out Thule, who had been too deeply absorbed in her mysterious plans to participate in the hunting.

"Why don't you try it, guide?" flared Meneciriel.

Elrohir shook his head and wandered off. Mikhelm was beginning to mutter something about his own hunting skills and his preference for wild birds, a quiet tirade that only the other dwarves seemed to really understand.

"This is a stroke of luck, Fanelen," said Elladan, erasing any uncertainty from his voice. "Just look at these fish! Beautiful! Our old supplies wouldn't have been half as good. Now, what did I do with my pans?"

He built a fire, continuing to praise the fish, until the hobbits seemed quite convinced that their meal was nothing short of magnificent. "Cooked by Elves!" whispered Brando, as he finished his share. "Have you ever tasted anything like it?"

"No," said Hardo, "although it's much flavor and little substance, seems to me."

The Dwarves ate little on this occasion, unwilling to be shown up in generosity by a band of ridiculous Elves (or, at least, such Elladan imagined thier thoughts to be), and the Elves less. Surely they would have better luck in days to come, thought Elladan. He watched the hobbits eat with a concern that suprised him. He was growing attached to them, after all.

[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: Belin ]
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Old 11-04-2002, 01:56 AM   #384
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Thump! came the irregular beat af something banging against the ship's railing, then Thump! Thump!. Bram put on hastily his oilskin breeches, jacket and hat, and ran up to the deck.

He listened closely. There it was again - to port. He hastened over to find the rope securing the bow of the small skiff to its davit had come loose. The wind and rain pushed on the small boat, causing it to bang against the ship's railing. He hauled on the rope to even the skiff, and had just knelt down to belay it, when he heard a thin voice call out.

'Hello!'

A curtain of rain hung heavy on the ship, and Bram could barely see who spoke. He secured the rope and made his way toward the the voice.

It was Frain! Bram lent him his arm, and hauled him to his feet. The storm was loud with the pounding of the rain as it beat on the ship, and the cracking of the thunder. He leaned in close to the Dwarf's ear and asked him what he was doing on deck.

'I wanted to help.'said Frain simply. Bram looked at him in an appraising manner.'Well, you're wet already, and there are a few things I could use a hand with, so come along then!'

Under Bram's direction, Frain helped to secure a few more loose ropes, and store a stray crate or two, that had been missed earlier, in the hold. When they were done, Bram took him to the helm deck, and ushered him into the Captain's cabin.

'Rira! Captain! You here?' he called into the darkened cabin as they entered. He lit the lamp to the left of the door, and gasped at the scene. There was Rira, hand on his cup, his head on the table, and fast asleep. An empty bottle of wine lay on its side on the floor. He was drunk! Drunk as a Corsair in a cheap dockside tavern.

Bram sighed and stripped off his oilskins, hanging them on the peg by the door. He motioned to Frain, and together they got the Captain to his bunk and threw a cover over him.

Frain's teeth were chattering from the wet and cold. Bram bade him strip off his wet clothes and wrap himself in a warm blanket. Once done, he gave frain a cup of wine from another bottle he had found under the Captain's bunk.

The Dwarf arched his brows at this discovery, but Bram said only that Rira was a good Captain , and that even the best of Men had low patches to get through as they could. Frain drained his mug, and Bram poured himself and the Dwarf another drink.

They sat in comfortable silence, listening to the storm rage and then spend itself out. Rira, in counterpoint to the music of the storm, snored softly through it all.

It was nearing midnight when the storm abated. Frain had gone below to pull on some dry clothes, then came back to the helm. A few wispy clouds scudded across the dark, night sky, obscuring the moon momentarily as each passed. Bram brought Frain up to the Great Wheel, and had him climb onto a crate he had put there.

'Now put your hands just here and the other, there.' he said, as he placed Frain's hands on the wheel. The river is fairly straight and deep in this section. Just keep her in midstream, while I check for storm damage. I'll be in hailing distance if you need assistance. Just use your Dwarven common sense, and all will be well.'

Bram strode off, leaving the petrified Dwarf to handle the ship. The first minutes were terrifying and Frain thought of all sorts of things that could go wrong, all of which ended in the same scenario - the ship lying splintered on the river bank, its crew flung lifeless on the ground. But a half hour passed and then an hour, and none of this scene took place. Frain relaxed into his task and began to get the feel of the helm as the ship cleaved through the river's water.

He was smiling, and humming a Dwarven tune to himself, when Bram returned from his labors. The man took the helm from him, and Frain sat nearby in a chair, enjoying his pipe as the sun rose.

It was a fortunate thing that Frain proved such an able hand at the helm. The Captain took ill over the next few days, and was too weak to pilot the ship himself. Bram and Frain spelled each other at the helm.

The weather held, and there was a fair wind that filled their sail. They had lost time during the storm, and now sped past the fair land of Lorien and Caras Galadon.

On down the mighty Anduin they sailed, past the field of Celebrant, then the Wold, until they entered the Area of the Emyn Muil. To starboard lay the East Wall of Rohan.

Captain Rira, now recovered, took the helm as they entered the Sarn Gebir between the Eastern and Western Emyn Muil. The rapids were a difficult area for a ship to pass, but the Captain had done it before, and now brought this ship safely through them.

All were on deck when they passed the Argonath, the ancestors of the very King they would meet within the next week.

Finally, they entered the calm, wide waters of Nen Hithoel, and docked on the western shore. Bram had them drop anchor and tie off the ship with two stout ropes.

When done, they off loaded the ponies from the ship and what goods, equipment, food, and supplies they could transport. They loaded much of this onto the ponies and the rest they shouldered in their packs.

They made their way south, on foot, keeping the river in sight to their left. It would be a two day journey to the point just beyond Rauros Falls, if they walked from sunrise to sunset.

There, Bram had promised would be another ship, waiting for them. Frain found himself looking forward to getting back on the water. His hands itched to take the helm of a ship once again.

He laughed out loud as he strode along, and many of the company looked askance at him, wondering why he seemed so cheerful.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:00 AM   #385
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

**** Harad/Umbar - Gramil ****

Gramil's long stride carried him quickly around the mud puddles as blue as the sky. Still thin and lanky despite his years, he slid between burly shipbuilders with armloads of planks slung over their shoulders; they turned without a glance. Onlookers and the foolish had to duck or be decapitated. No one was supposed to be at the wainwrights who didn't have a job to do, and those there had best know their job enough to stay out of their way.

Gramil squinted up at the first sign of blue skies they'd had for well-nigh a week. He felt like he'd crawled out from under a rock, and his heart lifted at the sight of seagulls. They hovered and danced in the fresh breeze and seemed to love the break in the winter storms as much as anyone. Al-Gareth followed Gramil at a slightly slower pace, the deckhands and dock crowd parting slightly for someone who was obviously a soldier, despite his odd foreign gear. Al-Gareth stuck out wherever you put him, Gramil thought. It was good they were leaving, soon.

They had kept Al-Gareth cooped up in King's Inn for the duration of their stay, but still Al-Gareth had managed to draw attention to himself. The cook's assistant carried a blade now, a gift from Al-Gareth, who'd explained to the gaping young man that it was the custom of his land to give steel to one's trusted liegemen. The assistant now ran errands for Al-Gareth in his free time. He had proven to be a fountain of information. Free information, Jarl had pointed out happily. Another who followed the man like a puppy was the son of a local lordling, a frequent visitor to the tavern at the King's Inn. Gramil had no idea what started that, something about a brawl, but he had visited several times now, and brought his friends. They strutted like rooters in the yard, barely more than boys, eager for trouble. If Gramil hadn't put a stop to it the man who would be king of Nurn, supposedly fleeing in secrecy, would be flanked by an honor guard. The man was a menace. It was clear why his enemies wanted him dead.

If Gramil had not figured early in their travels that Al-Hafez was the more patient of these two from Nurn, he certainly knew it now, though Al-Gareth kept his temper tightly under wraps. But he was young yet, Gramil guessed, no older than thirty-two at most. He could learn. Would he make a good king? It was hard to say. There are those who seem right by the sheer force of their conviction, but that did not make it so. Urkan would know. Gramil was happy to leave the fate of Nurn in Urkan's capable hands. He could save a few slaves, perhaps, but he was not up to setting a king on his throne, for all that Al-Gareth had spoken to him passionately of Nurn and stirred Gramil's old sense of responsibility. Gramil turned and saw Al-Gareth speaking with one of the deckhands. He clapped the man on the back, and followed Gramil to his perch on the upper docks.

"Our ship is ready I understand," he smiled and motioned with his chin at King Fuinur's ship. "We leave tomorrow?"

"Yes," Gramil noted cautiously, "It is not my business, but.. I worry that you have not been overly secret. There are too many who know you, even if they don't know exactly who you are." Al-Gareth's Harad was slightly broken, with an odd accent.

"We leave tomorrow, the danger is little. We need friends, not secrets."

Gramil frowned. He was too polite to say so, but thought privately that friends shared enemies as much as secrets.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: Marileangorifurnimaluim ]
Old 11-04-2002, 04:45 AM   #386
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

1420!

*****Harad/Umbar******
After their discussion the night before Fuinur was feeling more camaraderie towards Urken, Urken had proven himself now to be a loyal and honourable companion, more trustworthy, still the night before when they had argued Urken had refused to expand further on his plans only saying that once the two ships had left the harbour would he explain fully.

Rising from the bed Fuinur descended the stairs of the inn and entered the common room. Looking around the common rooms interior, Fuinur was once again surprised at the inns appearance. The inn was bright and clean and had a sweet refreshing smell that permeated around the room. Warm light was streaming in through the stained glass windows a rarity gifted to the inn from traders who had once stayed at the inn. The tables and benches were smooth and clean and had a well looked after appearance. The floor was covered in exotic carpets and though it was only early the common room was full of traders who had risen early for a last hot meal before leaving on the morning tide.

Making his way to an empty table Fuinur ordered two bowls of porridge and toast along with two cups of boiling water, he had some coffee that ‘Urken had left him the night before. As he was waiting for the meals to arrive Seth entered the room.

“The ships are ready to depart within the hour, already Urken sent word that all is ready for our departure”
“Excellent I was getting bord with the easy life” said Fuinur
“That’s great for you to say, you don’t have to do all the work,” replied Seth in a playful manner.

The waitress arrived with the two cups of water and the porridge, smiling at Seth the girl left the table along with a pinch on the bottom from Seth.
“Forget about it Seth, you have work to do”
“What? I was only smiling at the girl”
“Ha that’s what they all say, now sit and eat we have a busy day ahead of us!”

After the meal was finished the two friends left the inn and made their way to the docks.

Once onboard his ship Fuinur inspected the work on the mast, the mast was exquisite, not a mark was left of the previous damage. Truly the work of a master craftsman thought Fuinur. Once he had completed his inspection of the ship Fuinur sent word to Urken that they where prepared to leave, they only awaited the new passengers who would be travelling with Urken on his ship towards Minas Anor!”

Receiving no reply from Urken Fuinur started to get worried and decided to make his way to Urken’s ship when from below on the dock he heard a voice 'May we come aboard?' looking down Fuinur saw that it was the companions from the inn the night before Jarl and Garlin.
“Welcome my friends, come aboard, where are your other companions Al-Gareth's and Al-Hafez ?”
Jarl replied, “Al-Gareth's and Al-Hafez would be arriving within the hour.
Lets find Urken so we can leave.

Fuinur was interrupted by one of the deck hands that had a message from Urken who was detained by other matters.

King Fuinur and companions. Greetings.

I am indisposed at the moment preparing for our departure and due to recent news that I have received we need to leave today, no later. The tide is about to turn and as the two ships are prepared and ready we need to leave immediately! Please make all hast for our departure.
I ask for only one small favour: that for the moment the companions travel with you and later other arrangement can be made.
Please respond immediately to my request.

Urken the Bear, Warrior Priest of the Guild of the Black Numenoreans

Fuinur looked up from the letter
“Sorry my friends looks like we need to leave immediately, Seth can you please send one of the crew to pick up our missing companions and have them meet in my cabin, we leave within the hour”.

Seth bowed “My lord dragon” and left

Fuinur turned to his two gests and proceeded to escort them to his cabin…

Later when all the companions were onboard the two ships slowly made Their way out of the Port and once again on towards Minas Anor!

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Alkanoonion ]
Old 11-04-2002, 12:52 PM   #387
Ringwraith Number Two
Haunting Spirit

Ringwraith Number Two has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

******The Shire/Blue Mountains/Rivendell******

Orlo finished his fish and looked sadly down at the remaining crumbs.

"We could all tighten our belts and see how long we could hold out without proper food.." he suggested half-heartedly. "There doesn't seem to be any other way. The longer we stay here, the farther we'll be from the solution to our problem. I hear the Lady of the Wood is very generous."

Orlo got up and found the soggy pack in which the ruined food still remained. He couldn't bring himself to say the next few words, but he managed to get them out.

"Desperate times call for desperate measures..." he mumbled. He brushed down his clothes and shouldered his pack. The others did the same, Odo grumbling a little at having to cut his break short.

They continued journeying. Thule, praised by everyone, found some nourishing berries that she had eaten whilst travelling in the wild before. Everyone grabbed as many as they could: despite being a little sour, they were juicy and gave the eater some energy atleast. Fanelen disappeared now and again to scout the area for any rabbits or streams where she could fish, but was unlucky.

Nightfall came. The hobbits walked on as if in a dream; Orlo's legs felt like lead and he felt slightly dizzy. He heard Ciri call them to a stop. He leaned against a tree as Ciri gave them heartening news.

"We're very near to the Golden Wood. We'll reach it sometime tomorrow, but only if we carry on walking for a while."

Mikhelm opened his mouth to complain. Hardo, very surprisingly, actually looked mutinous. Ciri cut across them.

"The sooner we get to Lorien, the sooner we'll be able to eat proper food."

She had a point. Orlo pushed himself up and looked around at the others. The march began again, and the moon has risen high in the sky when they halted, tired out, and fell asleep under an ancient tree which provided some shelter from the wind.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:54 AM   #388
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Urken shook his head as the ships pulled out of dock. He'd barely made it back. He was uncertain whether Gramil had gotten to the docks on time. One way or another, they were finally going to Minas Anor.

Urken had to give a certain amount of credit to Fuinur. The man might be indiscreet, and spend a bit too much on wine and women, but he had arranged their departure quite nicely. Perhaps, he'd be able to make a decent sailor out of him after all.

For the next day, Urken secreted himself within the cabin, busy on his own affairs which he had still managed to hide from everyone. Even the crafty Jarl had failed to pull it out of him. No use going into the matter until they reached Minas Anor.

The ship made excellent time on its trek up the river. Already they were more than half way towards their intended goal. Urken went over to the safe which was kept near the helm and, looking around to be certain no one was in sight, carefully opened it. He pulled out a book, a very ancient book from the look of it, and took it with him to his cabin.

For the next hour he was immersed in one of the secret volumes of the Guild of the Black Numenoreans. He told no one what he was reading, or the precise matters contained in its pages. Perhaps, after they arrived in Minas Anor, they might discuss the matter. But how much should he trust his companions? That was hard to say. He'd have to wait and judge when the time came.

Another day of sailing, and they should be docking in Minas Anor.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-05-2002, 03:28 AM   #389
Adanedhel
Animated Skeleton

Shield

The Captain felt slightly embarrassed and that he had let down his new crew and the first mate Bram. He trudged along eyes always averting the furtive glance aimed at him by the crew members, each glance asking a question:

'Is this the man who holds out lives in the balance when we are aboard a ship?'

He hated himself for that, and as the company set camp for the night he took all the bottles of wine he had squirreled away in his trunk and through them in long arching throws into the river, watching them sink to the bottom.....

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Adanedhel ]

-Henry V
Old 11-05-2002, 04:11 AM   #390
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

Three days of hard, long trekking brought them round the Falls and back once again to the southern portion of the Great River. They were now in the region of Anorien, heading for the northern most mouth of the Entwash as it entered the Anduin.

It was midday of the third day, when the reached their destination. Bram called a halt, saying they would wait here for their ship to come to them. The companions took their afternoon meal, and then relaxed on the ground talking amiably among themselves. Someone had broken out a small barrel of Old Toby, and pipes were filled and tamped and lit.

In the late afternoon of that day, a small, sleek craft was seen making its way north from Cair Andros, piloted by an old acquaintance of Bram's. He had guessed rightly on the day they would arrive, though when he and Bram had first made their plans, the schedule had been more tenuous. Unfortunately, the ship could not accomodate the ponies. So, once again the long suffering dwarves had to sacrifice part of their belongings.

Frain shook his head woefully, what had started out so promising had become a disaster. All the dwarves had now to present to the King were themselves! 'Still,' thought Frain, 'that will have to be enough!'

The companions helped the each other to load what they could on the ship, then they continued their journey to Minas Anor.

Evening became night, and night turned into day. They sailed on, past the many mouths of the Entwash, Anorien on their right, and now North Ithilien to their left. Early morning of the second day back on the River, they sighted Cair Andros and put in at its northern end.

The companions took the opportunity to explore the long island. During the times when men feared the advent of shadow, this island had played a strategic part in the defense against the troops of Mordor. Aragorn, himself, had ordered part of his troops to keep and maintain the island against the coming of Saurons's troops from the east. To the east of the southern end of the island could be seen the Field Cormallen, the Golden Ring, where Frodo and Sam were received after they achieved the Quest of Mount Doom.

The companions gathered on the ship for the night. Sleep eluded them. Tomorrow, early, they would set sail for the White City, Minas Anor, the Seven-tiered City, the Tower of the Setting Sun.

By midday they would enter it.

Nevtalethiel's Post:

***** DALE – Girion *****

Despite the darkness, and the now comforting rush of the water against the hull, Girion could not sleep.

"Tomorrow," he thought, "we will come to Minas Anor, and I must meet the King." It was a weight which had been lying heavily upon him for the last days. When he had set out, he had never really believed that he would come here. He had not feared for the completion of his task, he had merely never considered that he would actually be here, it seemed too unreal. If he was honest, he had not cared when he began his journey. It had all been one grand adventure, and if he messed it up, it would not matter. Now he was not so sure.

He sighed and stood up. As he opened the door of the cabin, light spilled in and Rubin mumbled something.

"I'll be fine" Girion reassured him, "I just have to do something important" Rubin's sarcastic laugh was met only by the swinging door.

Gently, Girion tapped on Bram's door. He had been getting up his courage to do this since they had left the first boat, but his pride had never allowed him to talk to Bram in front of the others, and he knew he must do so before they reached Minas Anor. For his country, for his people and mostly for his father, he entered the room.

"Bram, I...I know it's a bit late notice, but I've been meaning to ask you for the last couple of days and never got around to it, could you possibly fill me on everything you know about Dale's trade and diplomatic relations before we get to Minas Anor please - I've had an initial briefing before I left Dale, but I've forgotten what I knew and I never knew anything about Dale's colonies."

Girion took a deep breath and realised how much he had said without stoping, once he had started, he had not wanted to in case he could not start again.

Pio’s Post -- BRAM

Bram sat in the chair at his desk, his feet propped on the desk’s worn top. He was bone tired, and the half drunk glass of red wine in his hand had only served to emphasize his weariness. He held the glass up to the hooded light of the brass lamp swaying gently on its chain above the desk. The pale light played about the edges of the deep red liquid, but could not penetrate it. ‘Like blood.’ he murmured, twirling the liquid in the glass.

A half rolled map lay askew on the desk top where he had tossed it. Downing the last swallows of wine, he turned back to the map and unrolled it, securing the top edges with the wine bottle and the glass at each corner, while his forearms held down the bottom edge. He studied it closely, his eyes moving from area to area.

‘Come!’ he said, when first he heard the tapping at his door. He rolled the map and laid it aside as the door opened.

Girion stood in the doorway, a determined look on his face. Bram bade him enter, and pushed the pile of maps and cast off clothes from his bed to make a seat for him. The prince hesitated, and Bram smiled at him, encouraging him to begin. Once begun, the young man’s thoughts came bursting out like a pent up torrent.

Bram sat silently, musing, while Girion spoke. It was not the words which he marveled at, but the emotions behind them which shown out. He recalled the letter that Bard had sent him, telling of this mission he had sent his son on. The King had poured out his concerns, frustrations and hopes for his child, and a plea to Bram to see Girion through this if he would.

When first they met, Bram had wondered if Bard had placed his hopes too high for his son. Girion had worn an easy arrogance, like a cloak about his young shoulders. He was immature. Not the sort of man to draw people together and to him as would a King. But now he had let that cloak slip from him, and the true man beneath had come forth.

Once done, Girion looked at Bram, a hint of crimson staining his cheeks at what he had asked of the other man. The well-worn arrogance of youth warred briefly with his fledgeling maturity, and he stifled the urge to stride from the room before the older man could embarrass him with his comments.

‘So be it, Girion.’ came the quiet reply from Bram, as he held the young man’s gaze.

He drew another chair up close to the desk, and unrolled the map once again. ‘Here is map the Jarl and I have put together over the years. Slowly we are filling in these areas as Dale moves in to establish markets there.’ He pointed to the southeaster quadrant of the map. ‘This is where Jarl is at the moment. Your father has sent him to open up trade relations with the Southrons – Harad and perhaps Nurn, if possible.’

He pointed to numerous red and black dots spread over the map. ‘These black dots indicate the places where Dale is fully viable as a major trading concern. These red dots are the places where contracts are still tenuous, where the merchants have not yet seen the benefit to joining a larger Trade consortium.’ He looked closely at Girion. ‘Dale’s way has always been to support these areas as they go through the process of their decision making. It is not our policy to coerce them in any way. Threats and heavy handedness might bring short term profit, but in the long run those who feel they are under a yoke will turn and kill their masters as the opportunity presents itself.’

Girion nodded, making the connection with his own approaches to solving disputes. They had not either proved profitable to him in the long run, and he now realized he had lost the opportunity for some fast friends and allies. ‘Their will be things I need to mend once I return home.’ he thought to himself.

The two Dalesmen talked on through the night. Bram had found an eager and willing pupil in Girion, and he gave him all the benefit of his many years and knowledge. By the time they met the King, Girion would prove an able representative for Dale.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 11-05-2002, 10:26 AM   #391
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

^^^^^^^^^Erebor^^^^^^^^^

We are almost there! Thought Frain, both ruefully and joyously.

They had almost made it to their destination. Smoke from the pipes around him filled the air with a comforting scent. They had worked so hard and lo! they would head into the City with heads held high, for the Elves, Men and Dwarves had come together in a band not unlike that of Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas had.

Yet, what of the Audience? Frain had nothing to give to the King, nothing to promise his gift of friendship and his kinsman's skills in craft and engineering. Nothing to present save the story he had brought since he left home, and himself.

Would that do? Frain could do nothing but worry that last night.

What of his friends? Frain couldn't believe that what started as just a bunch of Elves had turned into what they always had been: Beautiful joyous spirits that now had to leave the earth. What had been Men had become humorous and jovial companions. His own kin which he had been so wary of at first, became like brothers in a way.

Althoug Frain wished he was back home, he still wished this journey would never end.

Maybe I am just fooling myself. Frain thought as he sat on his blanket. He did not sleep the whole night.
Old 11-05-2002, 11:46 AM   #392
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Bram *****

It was early morning, and a glorious day had dawned on the Great River. A brisk wind filled their sails, and their craft was making good speed with the current.

Frain had gone into the small cabin on the helm deck for a much needed rest, and Rira stood at the helm. Not a great deal of correction was needed to keep the craft true to course, so he spent much of his time looking at the great flocks of seabirds that wheeled and turned in the sky above the ship. The sky was thick with them, even this far from the great ocean.

'They're lovely to watch, aren't they?' remarked Bram coming up behind him. 'In all my times up and down this river, though, I've never seen so many of them. It's almost as if they herald our approach.' He walked toward the low hanging roof of the small cabin. 'Give me a hand up here, Rira, and let me see what I can see.'

The Captain secured the helm, and gave Bram a boost up. Stepping back to the wheel, he watched as Bram scanned the river and its lands ahead, straining to catch a sight of the famous city.

It was midday when Bram cried out, pointing toward the southwest. 'The peak of Mount Mindolluin is clearly in sight now!'

A bleary eyed and clearly unrested Frain stumbled out of the cabin. 'Hey! How can you expect a Dwarf to get any sleep with an elephant tap dancing overhead and shouting out points of interest like some rabid tour guide!?'

'Come up, Frain!' said Bram, extending her hand to him. The city should be coming into sight soon.' Even a tired Frain could not resist this offer, and up he climbed.

Bram shouted to the rest of the crew to come and view their approach. He pulled out a map to show them where they would dock the ship once they reached Minas Anor.

The Elves, with their keen eyes, were the first to see the city, itself.

'Look, look!' they cried, shading their eyes in the sun. 'The beautiful tower - shining so bright in the sun?'

'The White Tower of Ecthelion!' came the voice of Rira, his dark eyes sparkling with delight.

Girion gazed on the city. 'I never thought to see this image come to life!' As if in a dream, he quoted a much loved passage he had heard once when Rangers had come through Dale. He remembered one tall, raven haired, grey eyed Man who had taken pity on the curiosity of a child asking for tales of far off lands. He had spoken of this great city with a certain fondness:

Quote:
. . . the Tower of Ecthelion, standing high within the topmost walls, shone out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals...'(ROTK)
The ship approached Harlond, the port of Minas Anor. Small boats came out from the docking area to bring in the ship. Frain and Bram threw lines from the foredeck, on either side, and the boat-tenders secured them to the rear of their vessels. They slowly and surely drew the ship into dock.

A single man dressed in simple finery, stood on the dock, and watched the ship approach, noting the mix of Men, Elves and Dwarves aboard. Once it was secured, he hailed the companions, now all hanging over the railing and gazing at the city.

'Well met!' he cried in a great voice to them. ‘I bid you welcome in the name of King Elessar!’

Bram strode down the gang plank toward the man. 'We have come for the King's Audience. These are the companions from The Lonely Mountain, Dale, and Eryn Lasgalen. Will you give the King our greetings and let him know we have come?'

Old 11-05-2002, 12:05 PM   #393
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Sting

^^^^^^Erebor^^^^^^

'Well met!' he cried in a great voice to them. ‘I bid you welcome in the name of King Elessar!’

Frain listened not to the voice, for his eyes were the only things at work. He may have been greatly tired, yet the White City made him feel awake as ever. They had made it! All those long hours and days, all those hard times, and what a way to be rewarded! A beautiful city lay before them, as Frain stood on his tippy-toes to see above the railing of the boat.

Frain could hardly wait to see the rest of the city. Especially since the expanse of what he saw then was so lovely. From his spot on the deck and his view as he stepped off the boat, white birds flew around and sunlight glittered off the top of a tower. Some of the houses looked battered and beaten, probably whatever was left of the Great War of the Rings. Yet those were being fixed. The city seemed so busy, Frain was reminded of home.

So, we have made it. Frain said aloud.

Yes, and hopefully the worst is over. Frain heard Hringa behind him.

This is beautiful. Yet still, home is where the heart is, right? Frain answered.

I should hope so. Yet I am comfortable being here, so long as we shall stay a while. Hringa smiled.

Frain closed his eyes and remembered home. He was glad to be here too, he realized.

He wondered what other delagates had come as of this day. What would become of them during the Audience?

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]
Old 11-05-2002, 03:26 PM   #394
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

***Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mountains***

After some rest, the party tightened their belts and once more headed south. After a day of walking and much complaining from everyone at some point, they eventually saw the woods of Lorien ahead of them.

Even Mikhelm, after his initial grumbling, could not fail to be breathtaken by the woods. However, Ciri reminded them all before entering that they could not tarry long, a proper night's sleep and a chance to replenish their supplies was all that they could find time for. The group did not care, they were just thankful for a good hearty meal, the first since their food had been ruined.

Serin wandered around the woods with Elrohir and Odo. They were lost for words, with the exception of Elrohir, who knew Lorien.

"The beauty of Galadriel..." Serin murmured. "I've never seen an elf like that before...she just captivated me. I now know how Gimli son of Gloin must have felt, falling under her spell."

"I don't know what I imagined, Serin, but nothing like this!" marveled Odo. "I can't believe I have the chance to see it, it's completely beyond me!"

Serin wholeheartedly agreed. Taking in the splendour and the beauty of Lorien made him all the more convinced in his heart that he must convince the dwarves to accept the other races. Imagine the dwarf kingdoms, with their halls of stone and crafts, but also mingled with the beauty and light of the Elves! It would be a spectacular sight, and Serin dreamed of seeing it.

Serin did wish he had had the chance to see the dwarf-city, Moria, but no doubt they could pass through it on the journey back. He would not have given this up for the world.

However, much to everyone's regret, they had to move on the next morning, and everyone's mood was dampened somewhat. At this point, Elladan came back with the news that they were being given boats, to sail down to Minas Anor! This news lightened everyone's spirits, as the journey would be made much less tiring, and leave more time to spare, depending how the weather went.

The boats quietly drifted down the Silverlode and into the Anduin, and they bid farewell to Lorien. Serin felt, as Lorien became further and further behind, that he would never look upon that fair place again, and felt sorrowful.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: *Varda* ]
Old 11-05-2002, 03:36 PM   #395
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

He had spent most of the night awake. Urken had proved a challenging man to speak with. His answers to Jarl's questions were convoluted when considered closely. When one did manage to work through the lines of reasoning behind them, the conclusions often seemed to point in opposing directions.

Too much 'maybe yes, maybe no' had given the Dalesman a headache! One point, though, which seemed to run through all this talk, was Urken's steady interest in the men from Nurn.

It was because of this, that Jarl, early the next morning, had invited Al-Gareth to watch at the bow with him, to catch the first glimpses of Minas Anor as it came into view. He hoped to get some idea from the Nurnian about the reasons he wished to see King Elessar. Jarl, and of course Dale, was extremely interested in opening trade relations with this new country. Perhaps he could offer his services to Al-Gareth, as a friendly ally to stand by him as he spoke with the King. He would approach him with this idea, before they left the ship.

Once round the great eastern curve of the river, the great peak of Mount Mindolluin met their eyes to the northwest. Clouds of white seabirds wheeled and turned overhead as the ship tacked against the current. A favorable wind drove them on at a steady pace.

Al-Gareth marvelled at the sights and sounds of the river passage, at the feeling of freedom it afforded. He looked at Jarl whose gaze was fully on the great mountain and considered the line of thought he had recently begun - now with the hope of Nurn seeming more secure, he might reach out for aid as he met the King. His assessments of those around him had always proved sound, and he thought now to speak clearly with Jarl.

He drew the man's attention, and said, 'If you would, Jarl of Dale, I would like to speak with you on a matter of some importance - to myself and my country, and possibly to yours.'

A gasp of great surprise and wonder interrupted Jarl as he began to answer Al-Gareth. Both men's eyes turned in the direction which Al-Hafez pointed.

'My Lord!' came the excited words of the liegeman as his eyes mirrored the nearing White tower. 'Look how the shining spear pierces the Heavens! Truly a great King must rule here!'

Old 11-05-2002, 04:30 PM   #396
Celebmornie
Haunting Spirit

Celebmornie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Celebmornie Send a message via MSN to Celebmornie
Silmaril

**Rivendell**

Thule grabbed a paddel and helped to row. I shall miss Lorien!She thought as they moved away from it. She hoped that everyone was up to the trip ahead of them and hoped more so that she was.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Elenna ]

Celebmornie
Old 11-05-2002, 07:02 PM   #397
Alkanoonion
Spirit in Eriador

1420!

**** Harad/Umbar****
Upon receiving Seth’s message from Kurdin, Herumirs party had made their way towards Minas Anor and had started travelling at night to avoid detection.

The trail was dusty from the passage of the remaining Oliphaunts but Herumir was pleased, they had done the impossible and finally where approaching Minas Anor.

While travelling they had found a ship that was stoped off for repairs. The ship had sustained damage in a storm two-nights prior while travelling towards Minas Anor. The captain had lost huge sums of money in damaged produce and had been more than happy to make up the loss by transporting the troop most of the way. Dropping the party in a deserted shoreline 1 day’s journey from Minas Anor to avoid detection.

Herumir left the captain with a full purse and promises of more gold from future trade between the two and as a gesture of good will had even engaged the captain in a mission to start transporting coffee. The captain had sold his remaining produce to Herumir before Turning towards Harad to pickup the first load of coffee.

Herumir was especially pleased; he had purchased several rare items from the ships captain for trade with the city giving the troop a reason for travelling towards the city while not revelling the troops true identity. Travelling now during the day, the group continued on towards the City.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:41 PM   #398
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Tolkien

^ ^ ^ ^ Erebor/ Lonely Mountain ^ ^ ^ ^

Stonehelm stood back, letting Frain and Hringa have pride of place as they walked ahead down the gangplank.

Strange what the journey accomplished, thought the dwarven king to himself. We were forced to cast aside the very things we so greatly desired to speak for us, and yet now we stand the stronger for it. Frain has proven himself in greater ways than even I imagined he would. Heh, he has surprised himself I would bet. And I have found the councillor I was needing for the negotiations that lie ahead. And Hringa, hiding so often amid the scrolls and protocols of the Great Hall, has taken his first steps towards ownership of his role. Stonehelm nodded his head with confidence. He had chosen his companions wisely, and his trust was well-rewarded.

Stoneheld was not entirely decided if he should let Hringa introduce Erebor's claim to Khazad-dűm with Elessar, or if he himself should make the initial proposition, but he knew there was time enough later to decide that. A noise behind him signalled the late arrival of Curin, Burin, Pain and Gain, marshalled by a now-recovered Durgon. A nod of Stonehelm's head directed them down to the firm timbers of the harbour wharf.

Something drew Stonehelm back, to watch the White Tower of Guard in the bright sunlight. He had fought for this, after his father fell, not only for Erebor and the Kingdom under the Mountain, in the Siege of Erebor. He could face Elessar proudly as a veteran of the War of the Ring and look upon his Queen and know that her safety and that of Rivendell was vouchsafed by Erebor. Was here the answer to all that grim blood-letting? he wondered.

Well, I know one thing, said Stonehelm aloud to no one in particular. After our forest adventures I might not be as keen to see the White Tree as Orodan might be. He laughed to himself as he headed down the gangplank after his dwarves.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 11-05-2002, 11:53 PM   #399
Marileangorifurnimaluim
Eerie Forest Spectre

Marileangorifurnimaluim has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

'My Lord!' came the excited words of the liegeman as his eyes mirrored the nearing White tower. 'Look how the shining spear pierces the Heavens! Truly a great King must rule here!'

Ethar took the steps from Gramil's cabin two at a time, and goggled at what was surely the tallest city he had ever seen. He ignored Jarl's startled glance. The man of Dale had been rather spooked two days out, when Gramil and his assistant made their first appearance above deck. Albeit Gramil was in no condition to notice subtlties. Or anything at all for that matter.

It took some piecing together, but apparently Jarl had knocked at their empty room back at the Inn, not realizing Gramil and all his baggage were already on board. King Fuinur had thought it all a mighty fine joke. Gramil was too weak to appreciate the humor it, and after a brief bit of air disappeared back into his cabin, praying for death.
Old 11-06-2002, 01:27 AM   #400
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

******Shire/Rivendell/Blue Mts******

Hardo sat in the stern of his boat and watched the clouds. He'd had a very trying couple of days and was all too glad to sit and relax while someone else did the work for a change. Not that he objected to building all the fires and cooking all the meals, but maybe the Elves might want to do something contructive as well. He glanced toward the prow, where Meneciriel was rowing industriously. Behind him, Thule was rowing with slightly less enthusiasm but still doing her share. Hardo returned his gaze to the clouds. Clouds always made him fell so peaceful. Before he knew it, he'd fallen into a doze.

He woke with a start when the boat came to a stop against a rocky beach. Looking around, he realised that several hours had passed and it was now late afternoon. The group had stopped for a bit of supper before pushing on through the night. Hardo grumbled a bit, but it was more for appearances than from any real sense of irritation. They were behind schedule, after all, and had to make up the time somehow.

[ November 06, 2002: Message edited by: Susan Delgado ]