User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2002, 06:00 AM   #361
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Birdie walked to the stern of the Elven ship, took a deep breath, and dove into the water. She immediately felt the curved dorsal fin of a dolphin grow from her back, relieved to know that her earlier transformation had not been a fluke.

(O.C.C. - Get it? "fin"? "fluke"??? Oh, I just kill myself, sometimes.)

She looked around in the water, and as she had hoped, found the green Mer-Man. He was swooping back and forth in front of the Elven ship, riding the bow waves and apparently enjoying himself immensely. Birdie swam over and joined him. "Bow riding" was fun! She was carried along by the force of the ships foward progress, with no effort on her part at all. But she was here for business, not pleasure.

"Greetings, Mer-Man!" keened Birdie. "I hoped I might find you here again. What news do you have for us?"

The Mer-Man pulled away from the bow, and swimming a few yards away, struck a dramatic pose.

"I fear I have bad news...the young halfling has been captured by the Blue Wizards!"

"We knew that already."

"You did? Ahh, the elves mind-reading abilities, I see. Well then...the warrior Mithadan has seemed to cast his lot with your enemies!"

We knew that already, too."

Ahhhh, but did you know that secretly he may actually..."

"Yes. Or we suspected as much."

"Well, apparently you have little need of my help after all", the Mer-Man pouted, and prepared to swim away.

"No! Wait! Please!" shouted Birdie, she swam in front of the green and silver creature. "Please, tell me: has Ulmo agreed to help us?"

"My master Ulmo thinks you are all doing splendidly, and has every faith that you will succeed against your foe, though you may sustain some losses. However...", he assured, as he saw Birdie's tail slump with disappointment. "He is willing to send you a most effective ally. Behold!"

Suddenly, the water around Birdie was churning with long, thin, white creatures - some up to six feet long - writhing and whipping frantically whereever she turned. "Eeeeuuuwwwww! Worms!" squealed Birdie. She felt as if she had been dropped in a pot of boiling spaghetti.

"Not worms, really," corrected the Mer-Man. Teredo navalis, genus: mollusk, species: clam. commonly called, though "Teredo worms" or "ship worms".

"Ship worms!" cried Birdie, "Why they'll..."

"Precisely!" said the Mer-Man. "A few hundred of our squiming friends here will riddle the hull of the Blue Ship with holes like Bree cheese. And they are particularly fond of ebony wood."

"Thank you, Ulmo! Thank you, Mer-Man!" Birdie stroked her dolphin body appreciatively along the side of the Mer-Man.

"Enough of that!" blustered the Mer-Man. Suddenly, they heard a splash. "Ahhhh, I see another of your friends has joined us." The Mer-Man eyed the form of Pio, swimming towards the Blue Ship, with an appreciative gleam. "It is the charming Elf Maiden again, I see. What a pity she has no tail."

"Thank you again! I must catch up with Pio. Come on, you worm-clam things!" Birdie swam off, followed by the writhing school of ship-eaters.

"Good luck to you" called out the Mer-Man. Then to himself he said, "And I sincerely mean that. For if the Blue Wizards succeed in dominating the Elf-Folk, how long will it be before they turn their attention towards my own people, as well?"

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-19-2002, 07:15 AM   #362
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dispite what she was told Rose was still curious as to what was going on. She streched her mind to pick up any conversation. Somthing about Child, Frodo, and Sam coming over to this ship. Why? And Pio and Birdie were in the water. Hm..Mithadan might not be evil after all. And that elf was speaking of battle. Fight Mithadan? Child? What was she thinking? Slay Mithadan. Rose would never do such a thing even if he had betrayed them. Rose couldn't pick up anything else.

She looked at Mithadan's face trying to find anything betraying his thoughts. But all she could get was the feeling he was waiting for somting.

Rose started to ache from her postition but she wouldn't sit. She tried once more to free herself.

She leaned forward in the ropes to alow her bounded hands to move. She reached for her sword hilt and slowly tugged it out of it's sheath. All the while making sure no one could see. Then she started to sever the ropes around her wrists.

She would then cut the end the rope and hold it in place so that others would think she was still tied. Mithadan had not taken her sword. AND he tied her ropes loose. Had he ment for her to escape?

Again she looked at him and this time his gase met her's.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:24 AM   #363
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan watched the Elf-friend ships draw near. He instructed ten of the sailors to man the rail with hooks and ropes. Squinting, he struggled to measure the distance to the Blue Wizards' "prey". Less than a mile, he judged.

Pallando and Alatar stood, watching the approaching vessels. The time had come to make their "offer". Alatar closed his eyes and gripped his staff...

Mithadan looked over to where Rose was bound to the mast. She wriggled about, apparently testing her bonds, then froze when her eyes met his. He scowled, then looked pointedly away. He then noted that her guard was looking out at the approaching ships. This would not do. He walked over and swatted the guard with an open hand. "Watch your charge," he growled. Then he stepped over to Rose and, with a kick, swept her feet out from under her. He reached down and checked the ropes which bound her. Tears running down her cheeks, she extended her hand to him. He grabbed her wrist and said, "Do not try to wriggle away now little rabbit. Your time will come soon enough."

Meanwhile, Alatar had sent an image of himself to Idril. "I take it you have authority to treat with me. We have one who maybe you would not see harmed? The Hobbit Rose Baggins?"

"Baggins?" Idril asked in confusion.

"Do not play at words with me," responded the Wizard. "Mithadan has joined us and revealed her identity."

Idril smiled. "Oh. I see," she replied. "And what must we do to ensure Miss. Baggins is not harmed?"

"This matter has been a misunderstanding," said the Wizard. "We mean no harm, but now fear attack from your armed vessels. We, in a show of good faith, will exchange the Baggins girl for her cousin, Frodo, and his companion who we shall hold to ensure your good conduct. We will, of course, release them later, once calm heads prevail."

The air seemed electrified. Many minds were looking one to the other creating a "magical" murmur and the Wizards were intent on the unfurling events. Mithadan stepped towards the rail and muttered under his breath...
Old 06-19-2002, 09:00 AM   #364
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

: [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img]oc - Bird! You are your own best audience!!! You crack me up!!::

Pio dove far beneath the waves, the knife clenched in her teeth. When she had reached a certain depth, she put out a small mental call, one she had not used since childhood days playing with her cousins in the surf.

Oarni, Oarni!!!
Spirits of wave and water,
Come out! Come out!
and play!!

Light filtered green and moving in the water as Pio waited. She was at a depth that the action of the waves did not affect her. She swam a distance toward the ebon-wood ship and called again. The sea seemed empty around her,an effect, she thought of so much evil having entered this area.

Then in an instant, like a watery whirlwind, she was caught in the swirl of a tight moving vortex of water.

'Who calls us? & to these waters, they feel sick and deathly!', demanded a silvery voice in her mind.

The whirling stopped, and Pio focused on the ring of creatures which encircled her, their eyes curious, and reserved. Long, green hair drifted in the water like sea weed. Their faces and torsos those of trim young women, bodies narrowing down into long muscular scaled appendages ending in large fish-like tails.

'Do you not remember me?' she asked. 'We played when I was younger along the northern shores.'

They drew closer to her. 'Ah, little slow swimming Pio. We remember you. But what are you doing here where the waters grow dark and begin to feel foul? & why have you called us. Not to play!'

'I need your help. I must reach that black hulled ship and soon. My friend has been imprisoned there. And I must see to an heir of Aelfwine, if he is still true to the Light I will assist him, but if he is evil, I will kill him.'

They put their hands on her and smiled and she could see the pointed little teeth that she remembered. 'So fair and so deadly', she thought to herself.

'We will help you as we can. And if it prove that such as he has turned to darkness, then throw him down to us. Ever have we held the remembrance of Aelfwine dear, and none shall mar it.'

They secured her with their arms and moved her with great speed toward the ship, coming right up to the hull at its stern.

Surfacing in the shadow of the great ship, they began to lift her up for the climb to the deck. She motioned them to let her down. 'Let us wait for the cover of darkness', she whispered.

'What better to defeat Darkeness than itself!' they laughed, and dove with her beneath the hull to wait.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-19-2002, 09:12 AM   #365
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As Mithadan stepped away Rose stuggled to get onto her feet. Then more slowly and carefully she continued to free herself. Mithadan could do what he wanted to her but she wouldn't be a little rabbit caught in a trapp. Maybe they were wrong about Mith. Either that or he should have been in the LotR movie because he's a wonderfull actor. But she wouldn't trust him anymore. She would have to pretend that he really was an enemy and rely on herself to get out of this.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:19 AM   #366
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

In Veritas' empty cabin, a green light blinked on the REG. A metallic voice said "Authorized User Recognized." The wires attaching the REG to the laptop disconnected themselves. Then the air around the REG blurred and wavered. The REG disappeared.

On the deck of the black ship, Mithadan patted a pocket. Pallando sniffed the air as if he sensed something odd, then returned his attention to his brother. The Elf had agreed to the exchange. Mithadan continued muttering to himself for a moment, then walked over to the two Wizards.

"Free the Baggins girl and have her placed in a boat with a sailor. Have her conveyed to the Elven vessel but not released until the Ringbearer is aboard," instructed Alatar.

"Immediately," said Mithadan. While the sailors prepared the boat, he walked over to Rose and undid her bonds. Her tears had dried and her jaw was set. She drew her blade and set the point to Mithadan's chest. The blade was turned by his mail. Mithadan showed no reaction, but pushed her hand back under her cloak, took the blade and tossed it overboard. "Can't have you hurting yourself now," he said quietly. He stood and turned to the sailor and said "She's ready for you."

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:34 AM   #367
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"What am I ready for?" Rose snapped. Then she saw the boat with Sam, Frodo and Child making it's way over the water and she understood. "Ah, what do they think they're doing?" And there were the Blue Wizards right next to her. Not more then a sword's swipe away. Why didn't she just stike them now and free her friends of them. She could get at least one before she was stopped. But Mithadan was right behind her. Did she dare with him watching?

In a desprite attempt Rose swung up her blade to stike the closest wizard.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:42 AM   #368
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Rose's thrust missed. Mithadan seized her sword and hurled it into the water. She was then pushed down into the bottom of a small boat which was set upon the water. One sailor glared at her from the front, the tip of a sharp blade of steel thrust dangerously near her ribs. Then, to make certain no mishap would occur, another sailor was placed behind her. He toyed with a silver dagger upon his lap. Rose was commanded to begin rowing.

A tiny craft bearing Frodo in the bow approached the rendezvous point. Under Frodo's cloak and shirt, the phial of Galadriel had been bound. Sam pulled steadily on the oars. He held the Wizard's ship in his gaze and the distant figure of Mithadan, but every so often turned to look upon Frodo's face.

Child crouched in the back. Her ostensible task was to remain in the small boat and return with Rose to the Elven ship. Child could not tell whether Frodo and Sam had dared strap on swords under their clothing. She herself carried two daggers.

Her mind, however, was focused not on the ships, but on Angara who awaited her command. Angara would relay her instructions to the waiting five dragons. Idril had commanded her not to release the worms until Tuor himself had blown upon the great horn of Ulmo, fashioned in the guise of a large sea shell.

Idril and Tuor had insisted that the worms not be released until Frodo and Sam actually boarded the Wizard's vessel. Militarily, this did not make sense to her. Why not begin the attack here and now? Something else must be at stake here. But she would follow orders and do as she was bid.

The two small boats came together, circling each other. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, the sailor with the silver dagger leapt upon the hobbit's craft, seized Child around the waist, and slid the blade of the dagger along her throat. He grunted commands to Frodo and Samwise to enter the other vessel. Rose was literally thrown over the side and barely made it into the small waiting craft.

Frodo's and Sam's skiff began its slow journey back towards the waiting wizards.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-19-2002, 11:03 AM   #369
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

The mariner with the silver dagger roared with laughter at the women, "Well, young hobbits, and just how long do you expect to live?"

The sailor turned to face Rose. "You, woman, shall go first." He lunged and leaned over, but at the same time, Child went for her dagger under her cloak. Without thinking, she struck at whatever piece of anatomy was closest to her vicinity.

Child hit him in the side. Her stroke was not enough to give serious injury, but he was infuritated. He turned about and, in that instant, Child flipped the other dagger to Rose who had no hesitation about its use. Together, the two of them heaved the body of the orc mariner over the side.

A mer beast came swimming to the side of the vessel with Rose's precious sword in his grip. Rose seized upon it with joy. Now, the two hobbits were free to return to the Wizard's ship and do what damage they could.

Rose remembered the hatch where the garbage was thrown out, a possible entry for small bodies. And Child remembered the flints, the torch, and bronze mirror about her waist. They began rowing furiously towards the stern of the vessel. The Wizard gave them not a second thought, as they were but small hobbits, and women at that.

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 06-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #370
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

As they rowed Rose had time to talk to Child.
"Child! What do you think you and those two going? What is going on? The only news I've gotten is snaggs from my elf hottline. And Mithadan. Oh Child, I don't know about him. I think he's on our side then he goes and does somthing terrible."
Old 06-19-2002, 12:45 PM   #371
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan watched the hostage transfer take place and smiled at the brief struggle in Child's boat. All other eyes were fixed on the Ringbearer as the sailors made ready to bring the second boat on deck. Mithadan watched briefly as Child and Rose began to paddle towards the black ship. Then he moved away from the side and began shouting orders loudly, calling the sailors away from the rail. He seized a rope as the Ringbearer's boat was drawn up and awaited Frodo and Sam's arrival. As if he were chilled by the wind, he drew his cloak tightly around him and again muttered under his breath. None noted that his chest seemed to grow more bulky under his shirt.

As the Ringbearer and his companion stepped from the boat, he drew his sword. Cutting a length of rope, he ordered the two bound together with a line attached to the waist of each. He took the end of the rope and tugged the Hobbits closer to him. "Hello Frodo, hello Sam," he said. "Traitor," Sam replied. Mithadan backhanded Sam across his face.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:32 PM   #372
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child and Rose slowly made their way to the garbage hatch. It was just above the water line. Child used her heavy dagger as a crowbar to wrench the shoot open. An overwhelming stench drifted down the passage.

She tied her skirts above her waist in a vain attempt to avoid becoming entangled in the morass of stinking flesh and rotting vegetable marrows. The two hobbits crawled about 15 feet up the chute. Then they sat on their heels and looked each other up and down.

Despite the gravity of their situation, they couldn't help giggling. Child taunted, "Ho, there, Rose. You look and smell worse than Strider did when he first met Frodo and Samwise at the Prancing Pony."

Rose obliged: "You don't exactly smell too good yourself! And this place isn't any Prancing Pony."

"Now, what are we going to do? Rose asked. "You surely don't think you'll burn down the ship with a few flints and a torch?"

"Oh, no", Child replied. "I'm not that naive. But a little diversion here and there on the ship might make it easier for someone to create some mayhem and mischief. And a little mayhem and mischief never hurt, while we're waiting for Idril to blow that horn and start the final attack. Who knows? Maybe we could even pry Sam and Frodo loose."

Child continued, "I thought I'd start setting the fires, and you can take your sword and this one dagger, and do a bit of investigative snooping and creating various diversions. If something major gets going, you can always call Angara in to help as she is supposed to be keeping a special guard over the hostages."

"What think you?"
Old 06-19-2002, 02:46 PM   #373
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Sounds like fun." said Rose. "Hm...were could I start? I know." and she was off.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:29 PM   #374
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Sam drew a sharp breath.

Frodo glared at Mith.
Frodo: Traitorus beast! Leave him be!
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-19-2002, 04:41 PM   #375
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

OOC: Hmmm...I'm basically out of the RPG here...maybe I'll sail somewhere or something with Legolas...

Meneli and Legolas decided to sail to see how the others were doing.

As they approached, they saw there was still some turmoil.

"Aaye!" Legolas shouted, "How are you mariners doing in your quests?"
Old 06-19-2002, 05:25 PM   #376
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Primrose stood by the railing of the Elven Lady's ship, her bow over her shoulder and quiver on her back. She remembered quite clearly the night before.

"What!?" she had cried, clutching one of the Elven toys she'd been given in her hand so tightly as if to break it. "No!"

Frodo had placed a hand on her head. "It will be alright, little one. I promise. "

She looked up at him. Somehow, when he spoke, she knew he meant every word.

"Tiny Rose," her father said, "Mister Frodo's right. Everything will be okay. "
he winked at her and glanced heavenward. "You just pray for us. "
Primrose sighed. She had watched the little boat carrying her father and Uncle across to the dark ship. They were taken aboard, then
bound together. A raven-haired man in a cloak stood over them...

Prim: What in the name of---!?!?

Then the man struck her father across the face.

Prim: No! It can't be! Why that no-good traitor!

The next thing she knew she had set an arrow in the string of her bow and aimed....but....
something was wrong.

In the back of her mind, she saw the same man with an amiable smile on his face, holding her bow aloft and saying,
"Never annoy a live dragon, dear,"

She lowered her bow. "Hold on...Mister Mithadan wouldn't--not unless he was under some kinda spell...or...hm...." [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Just then, she heard a voice call from off the ship.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 06-19-2002, 05:29 PM   #377
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Primrose shouldered her bow and ran to the back of the ship. Another boat had come up behind them.

Prim: Missus Meneli? Mister Legolas?

She eyed the male Elf suspiciously. Mister Legolas? Is that really YOU?
Old 06-19-2002, 06:29 PM   #378
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo caught Sam in his arms as Sam fell back from being hit. Now he drew Sing in a flash and stood with his eyes glittering. He stood with Sting in one ahnd and the other hand on Sam's shoulder.

"If you hit Sam again" he said to Mith in an incredibly fierce voice, "you will die by my hand."
Old 06-19-2002, 06:51 PM   #379
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had waited for the advent of evening to proceed with her plans. She had managed to make her way upward towards a storage area which housed the ship's foodstuffs and supplies. Carefully using her flints and torch, she had stated a tiny fire in one of the small compartments of foodstuffs. She tore up old sacks and a dillapidated wooden barrel to feed the small flame.

Wisps of smoke began rising upward and coming through the ship's grates, until she was certain that it would be visible to those on the main deck.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:57 PM   #380
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie swam towards the great hulk of the Wizards' ship, the herd of ship worms behind her. As she she approached the side of the vessel, the creatures seemed to sense that their next meal was at hand. They passed her at incredible speed, whipping their way through the water without a splash.

The first of the great ship-worms came to the vessel. Opening a surprisingly large mouth cavity, rimmed with a solid plate of rasping teeth, the bizarre beast attached it's mouth to the wooden hull.

And then seemed to do nothing! There was no sound, no tremor to the ship at all. But by fast inches, the head, then the body of the great worm slowing started to disappear into the ebony wood sides of the massive ship. More and more of the creatures attached themselves and began to feed, until at last the bottom of the Blue Wizards' ship looked like it was wearing a lacy, tattered skirt. At the rate that the ship worms were feeding, the great vessel would be a worm-hole ridden shell within an hour. A child's fist could bunch a hole in it that would send it to the bottom.

"And everyone who is on it, too!" thought Birdie. But where was Pio? She had seen her in the distance, when she had first jumped into the water, but now she could see her no where. Had she already secretly boarded the vessel?

Birdie heard the splash of oars, and her eyes widened as she saw a small skiff leave the side of the Blue Wizard's ship. The exchange was taking place! Birdie cautiously raised her pointed snout above the water level until her round dark eye was above the waves. Suddenly the sleek, wet head of the Mer-Man appeared beside her. "And so it begins", he said. "Let us hope everyone plays their roles well."

They watched together as the the skiff appoached the small boat that had been lowered from the Elven vessel. The two craft met, and agreement seemed to have been reached, for Child left the Ringbearer's skiff, and sat down with Rose in the other dory. Then the small boat carrying Sam and Frodo continued it's journey towards the huge black and blue ship.

Sam was struggling mightily with the oars against the waves, and Birdie sank beneath the surface and secretly helped to push the craft forward, in order to spare the hobbit's strength for the far more serious ordeal a-waiting them. She was 99% certain that Mith was still with them, but a small 1% of her hoped that she was not pushing the halflings towards certain death.

Suddenly Birdie heard the thudding of feet on wood echoing through the water. Turning and lifting her head, she saw treachery! The sailor who was rowing Child and Rose back to the Elven ship had tried to stab the halfling women, but Child - good ol' Child! - had pulled a dagger from her skirt and gutted the seahand like a halibut. This was a side of Child that continued to amaze Birdie, no matter how many times she had seen Child defend herself in similar "tight spots". Who would have thought!

Suddenly, Birdie remembered: where was Pio! If she had been in danger of drowning, the Mer-Man would have said something. But where had she gone?

A cluster of giggles suddenly burst from under the Blue Wizards hull. Darting among the waving worm-tails dangling from the wooden sides were...Mer-Maids?

"Oh, my word!" The Mer-Man floated behind Birdie, arms crossed across green chest, with a disdainful look on his face. "Is this the kind of company the fair elf maid keeps?"

But...they're Mer-Folk, like you...aren't they?" said Birdie

"Nonsense! Silly Mer-Sprites. 'Melusine Sauvage'," He leaned close and whispered in Birdie's ear-hole, "Aborigines, you know. Not our kind at all."

The Mer-Sprites spotted the Mer-Man at that moment, and flocked around him, rubbing their bodies against him and playing with the kelp-brown hair. Birdie noticed that their teeth were filed to sharp points, which did indeed make them look very much the Melusine Sauvage. She wondered nervously if dolphin was on their diets.

"Hoydens! Bawds! Unhand me!" blustered the Mer-Man, as the bevy of wild beauties continued to flirt and coo over their more "civilized" cousin.

Birdie's dolphin smile actually seemed to grow a little wider as she watched the antics, but then she remembered the missing member of the party. She poked her nose tentatively among the tangle of worm tails, appreciatively shorter since they had begun their feasting.

"Pio? Pio?! Are you in there? The exchange has been made. The halflings are onboard the Blue Ship. Pio, where are you?"

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-19-2002, 08:41 PM   #381
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Rose made her way down to the bottom of the ship. She had been wanting to make disturbance up above but thought she should wait till it was dark enough. For now she was exploring the lower compartments.

Then somthing started to come through the floor. A worm of somekind was eating it's way into the ship. Water rushed in. Uh-oh. Rose went off to warn Child.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:57 PM   #382
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

It was late evening, darkening toward night. As if in answer to her supplication on the cat, the night sky was clouded over, no stars shone through and even the light of the moon was hazy and obscured.

Pio climbed silently up the stern end of the great ship, finding hand and footholds that no human could see. When she reached the deck, she looked over its edge carefully, checking for any patrolling guards. To her left, the way was clear but on her right were two sailors just walking away from her. Her arms and legs burned from the long climb, but she waited until the two were well out of sight. Body flat on the deck, she crawled under a tarp draped over some stacked crates near her boarding point. She inched quietly around the crates and peered out at the expanse of the deck which was dimly lit with lanterns.

Near the helm, she could see that the Captains cabin was well lit, and there were voices coming from it, though she could not pick up the words. Across the oilskin covering the windows, she could see two figures cross and recross each other's path. The voices rose and fell as if there were some sort of argument going on.

There were not many sailors out on deck by her reckoning. And her end of the vessel seemed especially deserted. There was one crew member who was walking toward her position, a coil of rope over his shoulder. He drew near and proceeded to place the coil on the crates and then sat down on one of the lower boxes. Pio stopped her breathing and listened intently. She heard him tamping tobacco into his pipe, the scritch of the match, and then the smell of tobacco drifting on the air.

Stepping quietly behind him, she held his head in a vise-like grip with her arm and slit his throat from ear to ear with her knife. He made no sound, and quietly slumped back against her. She dragged him under the tarp along with his fallen pipe and stripped him of his clothes. Putting them on quickly, she took some of the dark ash and residue from his pipe and wiped it on her face and the backs of her hands. She stuck his knife in her trouser's top and wiped off her knife on the leg of her pants.

'Time to reconnoiter,' she thought to herself, and slipped into the shadows.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:28 PM   #383
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

She had made her way to port side, still without seeing a sign of the hostages. 'This is such a large ship, and they are such small hobbits.' she thought. 'How will I ever find them?'

A seabreeze ruffled her hair, and the clouds scudding across the face of the moon parted for a brief moment. She saw, standing at the rail, a man in black who turned his face briefly to catch the silver light of the moon.

'Mithadan!' she hissed quietly.'Now where have you put the hobbits?!' The wondering was cut short as the man turned his gaze back to the sea, toward her friends' ships.

The breeze stilled and the air thickened with anticipation in the returning darkness. Stealing close behind him, she wrapped her left arm tight around his neck and drew back his head, the sea-silver knife in her right grip pressed hard against the left side of his neck, pulsing slightly with the beating of his heart.

'Tell me where Frodo and Sam are!, she whispered menacingly in his ear. 'Or I will slit you like a fish throw your foul carcass overboard, and let the sea claim you.'

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 PM   #384
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam stood breathing heavily a moment, holding his cheek in his hand.

Sam: I--I'm all right, Mister Frodo. Or I will be.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:41 PM   #385
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam opened his eyes. What had happened?

He remembered being swatted by Mithadan, Frodo's threatening him, then...?

As his eyes became used to the dark, he saw that his eyes had been blindfolded. He felt the dryness of a rag in his mouth.

Behind him, Sam heard a groan. His fingers
touched someone elses'.

Mister Frodo!
Old 06-19-2002, 09:41 PM   #386
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc: [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Pio, your starting to scare me! But so is Mith.::

Child was just coming out of a storage room when Rose rushed up to her making more noise then was wise.

"Shhhh! Rose, do you want to get us caught?"

"It's either that or drown. Child. Worms are eating the bottom of the ship. It will only be a few hours before this thing gets a permanent residence on the ocean floor."

[ June 19, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-19-2002, 09:48 PM   #387
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Just then, Sam's ears pricked up. He thought he heard muffled voices.

Sam: Hlllllllllppphhhhhhhhh!

He started to cry for help himself, but then thought a moment.

Just a minute, Sam Gamgee! What if it's them Blue Wizards--or Mithadan? I can't believe what that fellow's done..... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #388
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie swam around the hull of the vessel, and had poked amongst the hanging worm tails, but could not find Pio anywhere. "She must have climbed up a rope onto the ship," thought Birdie. She contemplated climbing up herself, but let this idea go for the moment. She had no sword on her, knew nothing about the ship, and did not know where her friends were at the moment.

Birdie backed up and popped her head out of the water, but could see nothing. Looking up at the hull of the massive vessel was like looking up the side of a cliff. She could see nothing on deck. It was still eerily quiet. What was going on? Birdie wished she could hear the thoughts of the Elf-Folk, like some of the halflings could under duress, but her mind had always been shut to such things.

Then, looking down again into the water, Birdie noticed something peculiar. The mass of ship worms seemed to be thinning. She realized that some of the worms had now completely eaten their way into the hull. Already? Just how fast could these creatures work. She had a feeling that these giant worms were doing the work of months in minutes.

Then Birdie's worst fears were confirmed. The ship was listing slightly to the left, and had settled slightly lower in the water.

It was already beginning to sink.

Birdie turned and fled back to the Mer-Man. he was now quite happily entertaining the bevy of Mer-Sprites with some sprightly repartee. Any thoughts of "class distinctions" seemed to have vanished as the aquatic roué seemed to have found a willing, worshipful audience. "Why of course I have met Ulmo personally! He has often stated that he wouldn't be able to accomplish half the things he does, were it not for me..."

"Excuse me, ladies. Please. If I may steal your new companion away for just a moment." Bird nudged the Mer-Man away from the flock of Mer-Sprites. Some pouted and sulked, a few bared their teeth at the morphed dolphin and hissed "Find your own, Grey-Back!"

Birdie nervously nudged the Mer-Man to the edge of the crowd and whistled urgently. "I think the ship is sinking! Just how fast were the worms supposed to break through the hull?"

"Oh, they couldn't have possibly broken through yet. Another hour or so at least"

"Look!" Birdie spun the Mer-Man around with her nose until he was facing the ship. There was no mistaking from this angle. The ship was definitely starting to list.

"Oh, dear," tsked the Mer-Man. "They must have been more ravenous than I thought."

"How long? How long will the ship stay afloat" keened Birdie

"Oh, not long at all, I'm afraid. Say - perhaps - one more hour 'til she slides to the bottom. Perhaps I overestimated the number of worms needed...?"

Birdie looked aghast at the great vessel. In one hour, their "army" would be fighting the Blue Wizards at the bottom of the sea.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:11 PM   #389
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Celeaewen was staring at the ship, but not seeing it, when she snapped back to (middle)earth. she nudged Rosseil
"is it just me, or is that ship on a funny angle?"
Rosseil snorted at her "you idiot, you've been...WHAT THE !@#$%. who's in charge here? that ship is sinking! oh dear, ohj dear..."
Rosseuil dashed off to find an authority figure, and Celeaewen, seeing nothing for it, ran after.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:12 PM   #390
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam struggled to free himself, but the ropes were rather tight. When he pulled, he touched Frodo's hands, and figured they must be tied together.

Oh, this is just fine, Sam. Just fine. Now what?
Old 06-19-2002, 10:15 PM   #391
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

It was then that Sam's ears pricked up again.
What......? Running water?

He listened harder to see if he could tell where the sound was coming from. Just then, he felt something cold and wet lap against his feet.

Oh, my.....
Old 06-19-2002, 10:27 PM   #392
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam could feel the water under his legs, now.

Well, at least I know where I'm goin'..........

He yanked at Frodo, whom he could now tell was bound to him by the hands.

Oh, Mister Frodo, please wake UP!

Just then, above, he thought he heard running footsteps and voices---this time they sounded farmiliar.

Miss Child? Rosie?

Gag or no gag, he started being loud!

Sam: HLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!! PLLLLLSSSSSSSSS HLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2002, 10:31 PM   #393
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child looked aghast at Rose. Instead of tending fires, she was up to her ankles in wet and mud. She didn't know whether Birdland had bothered to tell Idril and Tuor about this strange turn of events. She somehow doubted it.

Child complained, "You say we have several hours? That may be optomistic. This water is rising very quickly."

Child continued, "Where are Frodo and Sam? Sam can't even swim."

"Wait, I have an idea. We need to go to the upper deck." With hobbit deftness and under cover of night, the two women crept up to the main deck which was still dry. The crew here were not yet aware of what was happening under their feet.

Child scanned the horizon with troubled heart searching for Angara. She had just given up when she spied an old green wooden barrel. The barrel blinked at her with eyes of gold.

"Angara, bless you, It's Child. Stand by to lift us off as well as Samwise and Frodo."

The vessel began to tilt at a dangerous angle.

"Have all the dragons stand by to pick up survivors out of the water."

Rose glared at Child, "What do we do about Mithadan?"

Child said, "I have no idea, but let's try and find the hobbits first and get them onto Angara's back." Rose and Child ran down below, hoping to find Sam and Frodo.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:35 PM   #394
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Child and Rose immedetly heard the yells.
"I think it's this way" whispered Rose.

They went down a few floors and found the room where the noise was coming from. The door wasn't locked and they were able to slip right in. "Funny, not locking the door." said Rose."Shhh. Sam, it's alright now. Here, we'll undo the rope."

"It's because they underestimate us." replyed Child.And she cut Frodo's and Sam's bonds.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:36 PM   #395
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam continued to let out muffled yells until his throat hurt. Suddenly, the floor beneath him seemed to tilt, and he fell back against Frodo. The sound of water rushing was greater, now.
Oh, dear.....
Old 06-19-2002, 10:38 PM   #396
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Sam looked up as someone removed his gag and blindfold.

Sam: Oh, Rosie...I didn't think anyone was going to find us.

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:44 PM   #397
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

OOC: Gotta go. Thank you, ladies, for rescuing us! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:44 PM   #398
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

"Well now we have to get going and fast. I'm not possitive it was only us who heard your yells." Said Rose. "Is Frodo alright?"
(see you Sam!)
(Oh I will be gone all day tomorow. I might get a chance to post in the morning but besides that I won't be here. I incurage anyone who want to to controll my charicter. I think I will go to bed now)

[ June 20, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 06-19-2002, 10:58 PM   #399
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Considering what they had been through, both hobbits seemed remarkably calm. Frodo, however, looked weak and extremely tired.

"Can you help him, Sam?, said Rose. "We've got to get out of here. There's a dragon waiting on the upper deck who can fly us out to safety."

Child asked, "Did any of our other friends make it over to this ship?"

But neither of the hobbits had any idea.

The four went on silent feet into the hallway. They could barely stand with the rush of water coming through the doorway. They struggled to a ladder and clambered with difficulty to the upper deck.

All above was chaos.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:13 PM   #400
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

ooc:Ah! Pio! I had just got in bed when I remembered: Mithadan has the REG. That blasted new REG! You don't have him exactlly where you think you do. Be carefull! Ok. NOW I'm going to bed.::