User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2002, 12:20 PM   #321
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

'Friend of mine?', stammered Holly, 'There stands the sick friend I was coming back to check on!'

'Well, it seems she's made an amazing recovery for one with such dire injuries.' His grey eyes fixed on the small figure holding the attention of the crowd, and watched admiringly as her slim fingers manipulated the shells.

The hobbit beside him gasped, 'Oh, no!' as as another player stepped forward to put his money on the leather. But this player had fortune's nod, and picked the shell under which the pea was hidden.

'What's the matter?', asked Vorondil, watching as the game went on.

'It's Olo,' said Holly. 'She's even suckered him into playing. I'm glad he didn't lose his coin!'

'Ah, but he was never meant to lose, and probably that coin was hers to start with.' replied the ranger, chuckling at the skill with which Holly's friend drew in and kept her audience.

Understanding dawned on Holly, and her eyes narrowed at Bird's use of the once straight-forward hobbit. 'Excuse me, if you will, Vorondil. I need to have a few words with Olo, before he falls any further under Bird's wiles!'

'A wise decision, my friend. She looks a dangerous woman to get to know if you don't have your wits about you.' He looked back at Bird, studying her closely. A feral light crept into his eyes, and he smiled slightly.

'My lady!' he called, striding quickly to the front of the crowd. He placed two silver pennies on the leather, and smiled innocently at her. 'I'd like to try my hand at this!'

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-09-2002, 08:15 PM   #322
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Things were going very well, and Bird knew it. She had earned Olo's twelve silver pennies, and more besides. The crowd was perfect, enjoying the rude entertainment, caught up in the thrill of a gamble, and had not yet crossed the threshold where mutterings of "cheat" and "fishy business" warned Bird to allow a few wins and wrap it up.

She was intent on her game, and only saw a strong, tanned hand lay two silver coins on the table. "My Lady, 'I'd like to try my hand at this!"

Bird smiled, looking up and saying perkily, "Nay, good Sir, no lady, I..." and then she choked, her face blanching white. Before her stood a Ranger. Had he come to arrest her for the destruction of a tasty parchment scroll?

Bird stuttered hoarsely "It's but a penny a chance, M'Lord."

"Then I shall seek my fortune twice." Vorondil said with a smile.

Bird bent her head over the walnut shells, concentrating furiously on the game, so the Ranger could not see her face and perhaps read any signs of guilt there. She did the ritual tap - one, two, three - with extra force, so that the pebbles lodged in the top of the shells all dropped down. "Let him win and be gone!" she pleaded to herself.

Vorondil studied the three walnut shells intently, then glanced up at Bird with a teasing smile. He knew the tricks of most of the montebanks of Middle-Earth, and knew the force of her taps had guaranteed him a win. he drew it out as long as he could, while the crowd around him offered jibes and advice. "Use that Eagle-Eye of yours, Ranger!" called the drover, and his companions laughed and nudged each other. He finally gestured to the right, and Bird lifted the shell, revealing the glittering little brook pebble beneath. "A winner!" she said, with false jollity. "Fortune smiles on you, good Sir." And she hastily pushed two silver pennies towards him.

As she did so, the Ranger grabbed her arm, turning it and studying the still livid bruises that covered it up and down. "My good Lady, how have you received such injuries?" he asked, seemingly with genuine concern.

Bird pushed the rolled-up sleeves of her shyrt down, covering her arms to the wrists. "A fall from a horse, sir. Nothing more." She looked around frantically. Where was Holly?

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-09-2002, 11:23 PM   #323
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

* Birdie looked up, but not at Holly ... rather, at the wizened bearded face of Gandalf, who was next in line. He plunked down a silver piece with coarse good-natured ceremony, smiling as Bird gave a slight jump in time with the clinking of coin on wood. *

Well, on with it then. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* The walnut shells coursed through their hypnotic dance and came to a halt. The crowd of onlookers lightly jostled for position to get a good view, crowding and elbowing and craning their necks, laughing and whispering and questioning what sort of stunt the wizard might pull. *

* Gandalf took up his willow wand to point out the middle shell. Taking careful aim, there was a flash and a crash and the clearing of smoke. The middle walnut shell was now revealed, split in two. Eleven pebbles lay clustered round. *

At the rate of "See a pebble, win a penny," I believe you owe me eleven silver, my dear Bird. By coincidence, I know of eleven hungry rangers who are in need of meat and drink this evening. Kindly see that they are provided for. Meals shall have to be delivered, since the rangers are on patrol and cannot all be spared to eat together inside the Trade Inn.

* Gandalf bowed gallantly with arms outstretched and empty. When he stood back up, he presented a bouquet of asphodel, niphrodel, and elanor to Birdland. *
Old 08-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #324
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had Olo pinned against a tree, the front of his shirt grasped firmly in her left hand, and her right hand gesticulating furiously. Her voice was low and insistent, and Bird could make out none of the mostly one-sided conversation. What perturbed her though was that occasionally Holly would look her way and point, and then seem to hammer some further point home to Olo.

For his part, though, Olo was holding his own in the interchange. Once again his experience of having many sisters to deal with kept him calm and firm in his insistence that he knew it was wrong what Miss Bird was doing, but he had agreed to help her anyway in hopes he could keep her out of too much trouble. 'And speaking of trouble', he said, 'there is a Ranger with her now, and it looks to be the same as kept us from going out of the inn last night. Perhaps we should go over and head him off.'

Holly took a deep breath and let go of his shirt. She looked to where Bird stood, and saw Vorondil had hold of her wrists. 'By the One!' she thought to herself. 'What does he think he's doing now?! And look at poor Bird, she's gone white as a sheet!'

'We'd best get over there!' said Olo. 'She looks like some poor rabbit facing a grinning wolf.' He grabbed Holly's hand and hurried her along.

Before they could reach the Bird, the Ranger had stepped aside, and now Gandalf stepped up to take his turn at the game. She saw a puff of smoke and the disbelieving look on her friend's face as eleven pebbles tumbled from the shell.

'Bird?', she said, trying to get the woman's attention, now focused on the bouquet in her hand. 'What's going on?' She looked at Gandalf, his eyes twinkling merrily with laughter; and then at Vorondil, who was having a difficult time maintaining a serious face.

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-10-2002, 04:46 AM   #325
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird looked down at the ruins of the game, pebbles and shells scattered on the table. The crowd was laughing and calling for other feats from the old Wizard.

Tears sprang to Birdie's eyes. It had all been going so well. She could have paid back Olo, and had plenty left to continue her journey, but now this Dunedain and Wizard had spoiled it! What did these nobles know about want, and deprivation, and trying to be a small woman making her way in the world alone? Nothing. The just saw a cheat and montebank who needed correction by her betters. And she had done nothing wrong! Everyone was having such a good time until these two had come along. And now they would take everything from her.

Bird jerked her arm from Vorondil's grasp, fumbled in her pocket for the winnings, and threw them at Wizard and Ranger. "There! Take it then. Take it all! And may your food choke you!"

She pushed her way through the crowd, and weeping miserably, ran off from the inn into the surrounding forest. She was ruined.

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-10-2002, 08:22 AM   #326
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Just as Esmerelda was taking the buckleberry pies from her stone oven, a knock on her door was heard.

Good gracious me, who could that be at this hour? If I didn't know better, I would think it was Podo, drawn here by the aroma of my pies. But he has been long gone on his trading travels, said Esmerelda to herself, somewhat sadly.

Dusting flour from her hands, Esmerelda opened the door cautiously. No one was about. As she stepped out farther, her eye caught sight of a white bit of paper, left on the third stone in front of her door.

Curiouser and curiouser she said as she stooped to retrieve what turned out to be an envelope, heavy for its size. But opening it she was made speechless, not a small feat for a hobbit as garrulous as Esmerelda Hamwich of Buckleberry Fern.

Three deep green stones, each cut differently, winked at her from the creamy white envelope. Esmerelda had seen similar stones at the Mathom House in Michel Delving. She, Podo, and her cousin Orangeblossom had taken a trip there once and she had learnt what her name meant. Esmerelda touched each stone gingerly, almost unbelievingly, as if the touch would prove them real. They were. Suddenly, she folded them into the paper tightly and hid them in a pocket under her apron. Speaking to the twilight air, she asked,

Who would bring a busybody such as me such mathoms? It could only be my neighbour, returned from his trading journey. Podo, Podo Cotton of Overhill, is it you? You always were such a good farmer. Have you really returned so wealthy this time? Are you the one hiding in my elder bush and making its branches nod out of rhythm with the breeze? Only you could have arrived just as my evening baking was finished.
Old 08-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #327
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly trod on the bouquet that had fallen from Bird's hands as she ran toward the forest, grinding the flowers into the dirt. As if a pretty gift could smooth over the hurt she saw in Bird's eyes!

She ground the flowers with her heel once more for good measure, and grabbing a full wineskin from someone caught up in the wizard's tricks, ran after her friend.

She found her, sitting in the shadow of a tree, at the river's edge. She was dry eyed and stared stonily at the passing water.

Holly sat down next to her and took a long pull on the skin, then passed it to her friend.

They sat in silence for a long while, with only the sound of the river to break the silence.
Old 08-10-2002, 02:19 PM   #328
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Bethberry had been walking back from collecting herbs in the forest when she saw the shell game suddenly break apart after Gandalf's one, small movement with his wizard's staff, the Ranger standing nearby with a look of concern and interest. Bird shot off into the forest, crying and belittling those of nobility as if they knew no want, followed shortly by Holly, who, to Bethberry's amazement, had stolen a wineskin from one of the spectators and ground into the earth the beautiful flowers which Gandalf had produced for Bird. Bethberry approached the two calmly and not unkindly but with disappointment.

You must indeed be in dire need yourself, Bird, to take the few spare earnings of those who are themselves not wealthy. I saw no rich men nor prominent hobbits in that crowd, only struggling hobbits and those who dedicate themselves to a stern self-discipline. Would you have a chip on your shoulder, to think that rangers and wizards live in a lap of luxury, or that false pretenses can be justified by entertaining those who are gulled? And Holly, your loyalty for your friend is admirable, but how do you know that the wineskin which you helped yourself to is not meant to help an equally needy family?

Bethberry took a seat near Bird and Holly and, opening her leather sac, brought out some white bread and a small pot of honey.

I'm hungry. Will you join me in a small snack?

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 08-10-2002, 02:36 PM   #329
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird took a swig from the wineskin, and lobbed a small pebble into the stream, waking a drowsy water rat, who took off upstream in a huff.

(O.O.C.- Anyone recognize the tribute to Yeats, there? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] )

"Well, Holly, m'dear, I'll be needing you to fetch my pack from the inn, 'lest that innkeeper throws my things in his storeroom to sell at his leisure."

"Oh, Bird, what were you thinking? How could you do such at thing here, with all these Rangers around us?"

"I needed the money, Holly. Simple as that. I'm in debt to your new friend, Olo. May as well know that, while we're on the subject. Maybe I can do some washing up or kitchen work here for a month or two, 'til I get on my feet again and can be on my way."

Bird took another drink, and made a face. The leather of the wineskin had been poorly cured. "So, how was your meeting? Figured out the fate of Middle-Earth and Over-Heaven, did you?"

"Bird, be serious. Things are happening around here." Holly lowered her voice, "Dire things. Forces are creeping into the West. What kind, they are not certain yet. But things are becoming dangerous."

"Are they now?" said Bird with a snort. "Well, folks in these parts can rest easier, knowing that your precious Rangers are guarding them from the likes of me." The skin-changer picked up a handful of stones and threw them violently into the river. "Of course, that fat Halfling merchant, Podo Cotton, can have dealings with the Southerners right under the noses of that Gandalf and his Dunedain, and ride off back to the Shire with a cartful of Umbar gold for his reward. But at least they know enough to shut down an innocent game of "pea-and-thimble".

"What did you say?" came a voice behind them.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:53 PM   #330
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly had declined the offer of something to eat from Bethberry. She listened to her admonishments and shook her head as if in agreement. Her concern at the moment was for her friend. She had seen her in these low moods before, and knew her actions could become dangerous both to herself and to others.

When the voice spoke from behind, it took the three women by surprise. Bird made to stand and go, feeling crowded already.

Holly put her hand on her shoulder and held her in place, then turned to see who had been eavesdropping.

'I might have known it would be you!' she said. 'Now why are you spying on us? And just how long have you been standing there?'

The Ranger stepped from the shadows. It was Vorondil, and from behind him stepped Olo.

Bird threw another handful of stones in the water, disturbing a passing otter who looked at her and hissed. 'Gee, Holly, I don't remember sending out invitations. Did you?'

'What did you two need?' asked Holly of the hobbit and the Man.

'I, for one, came to apologise to the lady for being so rude in my approach to her.' said Vorondil. He sat down next to them, a look of genuine concern on his face for Bird. 'And to ask her help in a certain matter which she was just discussing with you.' Bird looked at him with a questioning frown.

'Olo has been telling me of the coin he found.' the Ranger continued. 'The fact that it is from the South and that Podo seems to have become increasingly wealthy over this past year concerns me. It bears directly on the problems that were discussed with Gandalf this morning. Is there anything else you might know of this matter either by your own discovery or heard from someone in passing that may be of use to us?'

Holly left the two to talk over the matter, and approached Olo. 'And what are you doing following a Ranger about?' she asked.

'Well, I wanted to make sure you and Miss Bird were alright.'

'Oh!' said Holly, taken by surprise at his simple statement of concern. 'Well, thanks, and we are - alright, that is.' she looked at him in a new light, then shook her head. 'Now what about this coin the two of them are talking about?' She motioned Bethberry nearer. 'You might want to hear this, too. Gandalf should know about this, and I'll probably be busy with Bird for a while.'

'I wish I had never found that curséd coin!' said Olo, and then proceeded to tell them the story of it.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:25 AM   #331
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Gandalf solemnly bent down and collected the eleven silver pieces strewn on the ground, strode into the Trade Inn, and ordered eleven servings of mutton stew, bread and butter, and ale. The rangers had gone without lunch that day. Agluchel had spoken of a meager soup of herbs for dinner, as hunting had not gone well. *

* Bethberry standing at the edge of the woods with Birdland, Holly, and Vorondil, looked up at the sound of familiar wingbeats. It was Wryd, and the little metal message container attached to his leg was full. Bethberry fondly stroked Wyrd's head, retrieved the scroll, and read it privately to herself:

Dear Bethberry, The Innkeeper informs me that if meals are to be delivered to folk outside the Inn who wish to keep their location to themselves, help will be required. Might I invite you to accompany me on the mission of delivering dinner to the Rangers this evening? Your help and the pleasure of your company will be tremendously appreciated, and we can look forward to sharing good fellowship with the rangers as well. In friendship, Gandalf *

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-11-2002, 02:47 PM   #332
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Having read her message, Bethberry excused herself and went back to the Inn. Holly and Olo followed soon after, leaving Bird and the Ranger still engaged in quiet talk.

'I can't remember when I last had a bite to eat!' said Olo, his stomach grumbling to emphasize the point. He was trying to make light conversation to brighten the mood of the somber afternoon.

Holly was distracted, and said 'Hmmm? . . . me, too.' She stopped for a moment, and chewed her lower lip, thinking. 'But first, there's something I need to do. I can meet you back at the Inn, if you'ld like.'

The day was moving toward evening, and the shadows of the trees grew longer and darker.

'If it's all the same to you, I'll come with you.' said Olo, more as a statement of fact than as a question.

'Suit yourself.' said Holly, turning off the path. 'But hurry, before we lose the light.'
Old 08-11-2002, 04:01 PM   #333
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Thinking there was more she could do for the Rangers, Bethberry sought out Gandalf at the Trade Inn.

I will be happy to help you deliver the meals to the Rangers, Gandalf, for I noticed in particular how haggard and weary they were at the meeting. They live with more hardship and deprivation than any of those whose safety they watch over, and with precious little to cover their heads at night. I will return shortly, but leave all plans to your wise discernment.

For the time being, since we are spending another day here, let me seek out some of the more wholesome and nourishing roots, vegetables and berries. I can return to the cottage and give them to the Rangers soon after I forage them, and return here to help you deliver tonight's meals; root vegetable soup can have as rich a sustenance as any stew--as I know you are well aware, my friend.

Gandalf nodded agreement and then watched as Bethberry skipped resolutely out on her forest quest. Foraging took her but an hour or two, and she was able to return to the Inn in plenty of time to help Gandalf deliver the meals with the discretion and stealth needed.
Old 08-11-2002, 06:01 PM   #334
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Vorondil looked down at the troubled woman, staring resolutely at the stream as if she and it were the only ones left in the clearing. In a way, the young Ithilian felt ridiculous standing there, a feeling he was not use to, and did not care for.

It was so much easier dealing with a Haradan warrior or a Rohanian horseman. One knew where one stood. Dealing with women, though? He wondered how his hero, Aragorn, would handle such a situation. Then he smiled to himself. The wizard Gandalf could certainly pick the most confounding travel companions sometimes.

He cleared his throat, and pulled from his satchel a handful of coins, the remainder of the silver that had been strewn in the dust. "Here are your winnnings. I suppose you earned them, in your own way."

She whirled around at that, glaring balefully at the Ranger in a way that would have caused him to draw his sword, if she had been a man. She said with icy politeness, "Pray deliver those coins to the Halfling Olo. I cannot return to the inn."

Volondil bridled at being addressed as if he were an errand boy or page. Then he took a deep breath, and gently leaned down, laying the pile of silver pennies on the edge of her skirt. He wished he could just return to the inn and have his long delayed supper. But he stayed anyway.

Bird looked down at the heap of silver, pride warring with cold reality. Fortunately, pride surrendered the field this time, but waited in the rear, preparing for the next assault.

Bird scooped up the coin and stood up, brushing off her "new" skirt. She then counted out twelve pennies. There were eleven left. "Well", she thought ruefully, "At least I came out ahead in the end." She took the twelve and held them out to the Ranger, who still towered above her. Clearing her throat as well, she said simply, "Please?" And to his surprise, he took them.

At that moment, the high, clear voice of Holly could be heard calling "Bird! Birdie?" Vorondil turned back down the trail, almost with a sense of relief. "It seems that your friend returns with your goods, and you shall not need my my services after all. I hope you will now excuse..." he turned to deliver an ironic bow at his prickly adversary.

And she was gone. Vorondil slapped his thigh in exasperation. "Now see here, Woman! This is not the time or place for such games. Return to the inn with your friends!" The forest was silent except for the singing of the river.

He followed her track for a bare few yards. It ended at a bare boulder huddled in the roots of a massive mulberry tree, half dead, with strangely arm-like branches.

He circled tree and boulder, but there was no sign or hint of a trail. It was as if his quarry had been lifted into the air. At last he returned to the inn by a different route, avoiding the two halfings for the moment.

He did not mention the lost trail to his companions, either.

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-11-2002, 10:07 PM   #335
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly watched the Ranger look for the trail. She motioned Olo to silence, and they crouched down and waited for the Ranger to leave the area. When she felt he had well and truly gone, she followed the dead end trail herself and sat on the boulder beneath the mulberry tree.

Then she began to talk into the air, and Olo stared at her as if she had gone mad.

'Bird,' said Holly, her feet scuffing in the dust as she sat and chose her words, 'here's how it is - I'm not bringing your stuff to you. In fact, I've put it in my room, and there it will stay until you come and talk to me. I have a big room, and a big bed -- too big, by half, for a hobbit such as myself. And don't get all bent out of shape with your insufferable pride - remember that time two years ago when you pulled me out of a nasty scrape, and took me in, and wouldn't take any payment once I'd gotten back on my feet? Well, that got my pride all ruffled up, too, and you smoothed it over saying "that's what friends of the road do for one another" -- so, let me be your friend now, nothing asked in return.'

She sat there in silence for a while, then got to her feet. She called out over her shoulder as she and Olo started back toward the Inn, 'I'll leave the window open . . . in case you change your mind.'

A leaf dropped onto the trail behind her, unnoticed.

The Ranger, who had circled round to keep an eye on the two hobbits, frowned, and looked at the tree, wondering.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:37 PM   #336
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

When you needed to hide, one became a neekerbreeker. When action or escape was called for, the jackdaw was best. But for deep thinking, or a good rest and regrouping, nothing could beat becoming an Ent.

Birdie enjoyed the immense feeling of power, focus and being that came over her when she was in Ent form. So much in fact, that she would only morph into the form when she needed a good night's sleep, or when life seemed to be at its most tumultuous. She seldom used it for defense, and would never use it to attack someone, unless a friend was in need of protection from something truly dire. And the enemy had better be intimidated by sheer size to be effective. Ents were notoriously slow to attack.

But she most enjoyed seeing the world through Ent eyes. It was such a colorful place to be, everything around revealing its glowing essence, from the loftiest peak to the smallest insect scurrying in the grass. She had listened to Holly's invitation while marveling at the light yellow and warm orange surrounding her, with the even brighter yellow of Olo playing a nice compliment. Come to think of it, Ent-Bird had never seen a Hobbit that didn't have SOME yellow.

Now the Ranger was another matter all together; the warm red-orange emanating from him had an undercurrent of green. Very becoming, actually. Bird had always had a soft touch for a red-orange-green man.

Oddly enough, sometimes the Ent-Bird could see the colors of people even when they weren't there. She could definitely sense the crystal light of Bethberry as she wandered the forest, seeking sustanance for the Rangers that she had decided to take under her charge. And to her utter amazement, a blinding white presence was streaming forth from an old wizard smoking a pipe by the fire of the Trade Inn. This was a wizard? Then what WAS a wizard? Bird had never, ever seen a true, pure white come from any being she had met in Middle-Earth. She trembled to think what she may have crossed paths with.

It was at that moment that Bird truly decided to take Holly up on her offer, (though she probably would have anyway.) She would hang around the yard in jackdaw form until the night hid her, then join Holly by her fire to discuss the days events in a calmer frame of mind.

Vorondil did not gasp in amazement; he had been too long in the wilderness to betray his presence in such a careless fashion. But his closed fist rose to his forehead in the old ritualistic gesture as he watched the half-dead mulberry tree - which the halfling had engaged in one-side conversation and addressed by name - melt and shrink before his eyes. Then tree was gone, and in its place a small, black and white crow sat on the boulder. It polished its beak ("HER beak!" he thought wildly), on the rock, ruffled its feathers ("HER feathers!") and flew off in the direction of the inn.

The Ranger turned and ran back to the inn by another route. He must speak with Gandalf.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:36 AM   #337
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly made her way back to the Inn, Olo in tow. He clasped in his hands a small bunch of flowers that Holly had insisted on picking when first they had gone off the path. Some dog-tooth violets, a few tiny wood orchids, and two wild roses from a hedgerow near the Inn made up the wild assortment.

They went in through the kitchen door and Holly begged a small tumbler from the cook to place her flowers in. Having done so, she stole through the common room, and up the stairs to Gandalf's room. She knocked softly on the door, and receiving no answer, opened the door slightly and peeked in . There was a small table by the door, and on it she set the rag-tag bouquet and a note:
Dear Gandalf,

Please forgive my rudeness this afternoon. Your flowers really were a very thoughtful gift, and I ought not to have trampled on them or spoke ill of your intention. I hope all is forgiven. Your friend, Holly

'Just one more thing to do.' she said, as she ran back downstairs to the kitchen. She called the cook's-boy to her and asked if he recalled the gentleman she had 'borrowed' the wineskin from this afternoon while the wizard was doing his tricks. The boy reckoned that he did, saying that the man came once a week after market day to buy some wine to take home to celebrate his
success in selling his wares. Holly bought a skin of good Dorwinion wine from the barkeep and bade the boy take it to the man's house, with her apology for taking his earlier. For his efforts, she gave the boy a silver penny for his own. He beamed at her and sped on his way.

She stood in the kitchen doorway as he ran down the road. Olo tapped her gently on the shoulder to draw her attention.

'Now may we eat?' he asked hopefully, 'Or is there something else to get done yet?'

She laughed, and said 'Just one more thing.' His face fell, and she laughed again.

'Just help me get some bread, and butter, and stew, and fruit onto this tray, and we'll share our meal at the table in the courtyard! It's a fine, warm night for it! Oh, and bring a pitcher of the Inn's fine ale and two tumblers. We'll celebrate the end of a very strange day!'

Soon the two hobbits were eating and talking, and the strains of the day fell away from them. Afterwards they saw to the horses, Peri and Midnight, Then, for a while,they sat under the night sky and smoked their pipes, blowing smoke rings within which to capture the twinkling stars.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-12-2002, 10:38 AM   #338
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Podo Cotton abandoned all attempt at stealth. The elder bush rustled, twigs snapped, leaves fell, and out he popped from the middle of it like a jumping jack. Podo bowed in the Hobbit fashion. *

Course it's me, Emmy! Wanted to surprise you, but for you to find out eventually. Forgot to sign my name on the envelope.

* Podo blushed, but didn't waste much time blushing, because the scent of buckleberry pie was heavy and close in the air. Dashing to his pony cart, Podo gave Hardwin a pat. Putting his money box under his arm, Podo then dashed right on through Esmerelda's open door, nearly bowling her over, and sat down at the table. *

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-12-2002, 10:42 AM   #339
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* After the demise of the shell game, Gandalf waded his way through the crowd. Onlookers grabbed at his hat, staff, and sleeves while calling for more tricks and foolery. Finally, he spent the questionably salvageable remains of the afternoon talking with the Innkeeper of Sarn Ford. At last Bethberry returned from supplying wild turnips, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, strawberries and blackberries to the rangers who had been too busy in meetings all day to forage for themselves. Neither Bethberry nor Gandalf had the opportunity to return to their respective rooms to rest before dinnertime was upon them. *

* After a short smoke by the fire, Gandalf joined his good friend Bethberry for their own meal of mutton stew before setting forth to deliver dinner to the rangers. They ate in the kitchen, away from curious eyes, but happy to share songs and tales with scullery maids and table lads. Much lore was heard of Bonfire Glade and Withywindle, vanquished dragon and untamed mountain, persistent storm and changing sea. *

* As their guests rose from plate and cup and spoon, the young servants laughed and clapped. Then bowing, they presented Gandalf the Grey and Bethberry Bombadil with stew in wooden bowls wrapped in rawhide containers and bound with strips of leather. There were also brown paper packages of bread and butter, and bottles of ale, placed into larger packs. Enlisting the help of Midnight after offering the horse an apple and carrot as his share in the feast, they placed packs upon the horse and set off once more towards the hidden cabin. Midnight still shone a stunning shade of black from Olo’s careful grooming. *

* Overcast skies gathered themselves into a light, steady rain. *

* Early on, of course, they encountered a ranger right outside the Inn, and with a bow from the wizard, a merry jigging curtsy from Bethberry, and even a bemused whinny from the black steed, presented the ranger with his meal. Vorondil had a strange look in his eyes that made curious both the daughter of the River Daughter and the Grey Pilgrim alike, but Vorondil maintained a wondering silence. *

* Farther on, Gandalf and Bethberry encountered Agluchel and several other rangers along the way, stationed at lookout posts, or walking along the road with eyes and ears peeled for anything amiss, and weapons at the ready. These rangers too received their evening meal with mirthful ceremony. At last they slogged through the shortcut to the cabin door. *

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-12-2002, 02:06 PM   #340
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Night fell upon the forest, the small shack grew darker as the sun set further beyond. Candles were lit about the room, which were small and worn from the nightly use. Arcon sat with two other Rangers as Aragorn stood before them speaking. The Elda had stayed behind to discuss matters of a private sort that required the utmost secrecy, even from his new companions. Aragorn's tale involved in more detail, the hunt for Gollum that he had withheld from the earlier council that afternoon. Arcon nodded as Aragorn told of all his travails, and his brief capture of the creature.

When Aragorn had finished his recount and the issue was discussed with as much detail as possible, another ranger with silver streaks in raven hair spoke up. "Arcon, you have come to hold council with us, have you not?"

"Indeed I have Aurecale, by my lord Cirdan. There has been an incident near Tharbad, not so terrible as merely curious to the elves of Mithlond. I have come to gather whatever information the Rangers have gathered, if any, though I know you lot have a knack for "learning" much in the ways of this area, and further abroad," Arcon said with a friendly smile towards all three Rangers.

As Arcon continued with his inquiry, there came a knock on the small wooden door of the shack. The smell of mutton floated through the cracks...
Old 08-12-2002, 08:48 PM   #341
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* With a sharp tap of staff and a skip and a jump, Gandalf and Bethberry burst through the cabin door with the remaining meals. Midnight would have followed them inside, and neighed mightily against the indignity of being forcibly held back and left outside again. The horse scratched his back against the protruding logs of the cabin, snorting for good measure, but at last grew calm and fell to clipping grass. *

* Aurecale and Aragorn and all jumped up with shouts of hurrah to claim their dinners, it being good-naturedly explained to Arcon the terms of the shell game, and that the Elf would find his meal waiting on his return to the Trade Inn. *

* After the rangers had finished their feast, Aragorn stood. (Gandalf had pointed him out to Bethberry, being careful to advise her that inside the cabin he could be referred to as Aragorn, but outside the cabin, he was best called Strider.) Motioning with his hands for quiet, Aragon spoke: *

We are honored to have among us tonight an unsung hero, whose own singing voice, it is told, would rival that of sweet Luthien of old. A worthy wayfarer, who gains nothing yet gives all, to provide for our lack of food in our need. And more besides, one who braves danger on a perilous road not her own ... for strangers, and for friends.
Therefore, it is my duty and privilege at this time, to bestow on the fair Bethberry the rank and title of Honorary Ranger.

* Bethberry stood at the ranger’s bidding. * Good Sir, accept this honor I will, and gladly, if you allow such rangers as carry no weapons but those of the spirit.

Then, you are most fitting indeed. * Aragorn replied. He held up his hands. Hanging from a stout sinew cord was a pendant made of wood: On one side, eleven runes, each rune etched by one of the Rangers present at the Council to serve as a signature. The other side was covered with black linen cloth onto which had been sewn a single five-pointed white star representing Numenor. Placing this pendant around Bethberry’s neck, the ranger then bowed and presented her one pouchful of the finest, most potent athelas, in a soft leather drawstring bag. *

* Gandalf stood and with a cheer, led the applause. * I propose a toast, to the Merry Light that is Bethberry, daughter of Goldberry and Tom! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2002, 10:52 PM   #342
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Later that night, Gandalf, Bethberry and Midnight returned to the Trade Inn. Arcon had stayed behind at the rangers' cabin just a short while longer to discuss private business, with Gandalf teasing the Elf that he'd try and save him some mutton stew for breakfast. *

* Freed from the packs he'd been carrying earlier, the black horse trotted off to graze near the stable, within sight of the Halfling woman's pony, Periwinkle. Meanwhile, Vorondil met Gandalf and Bethberry sloshing up the rain-soaked path. The ranger looked at the newly-made honorary ranger bearing the pendant with the Numenorean star, smiling, and bowed a greeting. They'd been in too great a hurry to speak with Vorondil before, but had promised to meet him before his watch was done. *

* Now, Vorondil quickly relayed all he knew about Olo finding the incriminating Southron coin that Podo had dropped. *

Then Podo Cotton will bear special watching, * remarked the wizard, his brow furrowing. *

Podo, apart from his interest in pies, was keenly interested in the treasure at Castle Maladil, which could bode ill, if the boldness of his appetite grows to take on ghosts. * added Bethberry. *

As for your own travelling companions, * asked Vorondil * ... besides what happened at the shell game today, * Vorondil cleared his throat * ... have you noticed anything about her? The one called Bird, I mean.

Why certainly! * replied Gandalf * What with her new clothes, you might say that she's changed into something completely different. * The wizard laughed at his atrociously bad pun. * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

* Bethberry remembered back to the night she had made the wondrous discovery of Bird as a skin-changer, and smiled gently, keeping a discreet silence. *

* Vorondil now being struck with a musing speechlessness, Bethberry and Gandalf bade him goodnight and went "inn" out of the rain. Bethberry made straight for the fireplace, asking the Innkeeper for steaming mulled cider, and a good hot bath to be drawn. *

* Gandalf, thoroughly exhausted, creaked up the stairs to his room, planning to throw himself on his bed and sleep. There on his nightstand, he was met with the welcoming sight of violets, orchids, and wild roses, along with the note from Holly. The wizard was greatly touched, and fell asleep much at peace about Holly ... though still concerned about Bird. *
Old 08-15-2002, 01:01 AM   #343
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The rain had caught the two hobbits just as they emerged from the barn. Holly and Olo had gone in to make sure Peri and Midnight were well provisioned and watered for the night, and that there was a layer of clean hay on the stall floor.

Running quickly, they made for the door to the Inn and went in. They wiped their muddy shoes on the mat in the entry way and went to stand by the fire for a few moments to dry the light sprinkling of rain drops from their clothes.

Olo pulled up two chairs to the fire, and bade Holly sit down. 'I'll be right back.' he said. 'I'm just going to get us something to warm the inside of us, too.' he was soon back with two pewter mugs of spiced wine.

They sat in companionable silence and sipped the wine, watching the leaping flames and curling smoke dance in the fireplace. Soon, both were yawning. Holly said her goodnight to Olo and excused herself to go upstairs to her room.

It was still, and humidly hot in her room under the eaves since someone had closed the window when the rain had started. She opened it wide and wiped the remaining dampness from the windowsill, then leaned out to see what stars she could see despite the clouds.

Wilwarin and the Wain were covered by the scudding clouds. On the horizon, though, just barely above a lowering cloud bank she spied the evening star in the West. She smiled at it, that great white jewel of the night.

In the darkness, she shrugged off her still damp clothes, leaving them a heap on her rug, and pulled on a light nightshirt to wait for Bird.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:41 AM   #344
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

A wet, bedraggled jackdaw appeared on the sill of the window, shaking its feathers and scattering raindrops over the room like a wet hunting hound. Holly held her hand over her face to avoid the spray.

The black and white bird hopped to the floor and said, "Draw the drapes." When the view was blocked, she immediately changed back to woman form and started to wring out her damp skirt.

"What took you so long? I could have caught my death out there! You and that halfling groom seemed to have had yourself a fine evening, though. Is that mulled wine?" Bird walked over and scooped up the cup, while rummaging through her pack for some dry clothes.

After changing into a rough linsy-woolen robe and hanging her damp things by the fire, Bird settled with a sigh into the other chair. "Well, I thank you again for putting me up, Holly. Though that innkeeper had better not catch on! It's been an interesting day, hasn't it? 'Interesting' as in the old Haradian curse. So, tell me the news. What has brought these Rangers to our small patch of Middle-Earth, and what is that Wizard up to?"

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-15-2002, 06:25 PM   #345
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly took back the mug from Bird, and refilled it from the pitcher on her bedside table. Handing it back to Bird, she then poured a cup for herself.

Sitting down crosslegged on the end of the bed, she proceeded to describe the meeting of Gandalf and the Rangers and the topics they had discussed. She told Bird of her own encounter with the flocks of dark birds last year and of the great map of this and the surrounding areas the Rangers had made of unusual sightings and dark occurrences.

Bird sat in silence, turning each morsel of information over in her mind, and then filed each away.

When Holly mentioned the Ranger, Agluchel, and his mission to deliver certain letters, Bird sat up a little straighter in her chair and leaned forward. 'Do they have any idea who destroyed that particular letter?' asked Bird.

Holly assured her they didn't, but then repeated the awful thing that Gandalf had said about the creature of darkness who did it. 'That's when I knew I had to get back to check on you and let you know what had happened,' said Holly, 'but with the shell game fiasco and all I hadn't got a chance to tell you until now.'

Bird steepled her fingers under her chin, and asked, 'And why were you with that Ranger when you came back?'

'Well, I made friends with him during a break in the meeting at the cabin, and he offered to show me the way back.'

'Oh, Holly, you have the most amazing talent for attracting "friends"!' snorted Bird. 'First Olo, now a Ranger!'

Holly choked on her sip of wine, coughing so hard her cheeks turned quite red, or so was the excuse she gave for it. 'Olo? Whatever do you mean?' she asked innocently. 'And as for the Ranger, he seemed much more taken by a certain fiery spirited gamester than by me.'

She poured them each one last cup of wine. 'And besides, you are certainly much more of a challenge to him than any simple hobbit. Frankly, from what I saw, I think he likes that!'

'Hmmph!' came the reply from Bird. 'But what of my last question to you - what does Gandalf intend to do and where are we going?'

'I'm afraid the wizard is as closed mouth as people tell of him. He didn't reveal any plans, nor did he say where we might be headed.'

'Perhaps then we should get some sleep.' said Bird, yawning widely.'If we get up early enough, we can poke about and ferret out some information from someone.'

'The cook!' said Holly, 'That's who we should see. That woman has her finger on just about everything that goes on this Inn. I'll bet she'll have found out something!'

The two said their goodnights and crawled in under the covers. Holly was asleep almost as her head touched the pillow. But Bird lay there quietly for a long time - thinking.

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-20-2002, 08:52 PM   #346
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Day had broken in a glorious manner. The sky was bright blue with no trace of clouds to hint at bad weather.

Sunlight poured in the open window of Holly's room and pooled on the floor by her bed. The bright twitterings of birds as they went about their morning business filled the air and drifted in to mingle with the light.

'What are those feather-brained creatures doing up in the middle of the night?' rasped Bird, just poking her head from beneath the covers. Bright sunlight accosted her bleary eyes and she closed them tight against it.

'Holly!?' she said from beneath the covers once again. 'Won't you get up and close the window and draw the curtains for your guest?'
There was no answer. 'Holly? Holly!!!' Bird dared a peek around the room, only to find her friend up and gone.

The smells of breakfast wafted up the stairs and under the door to the room, almost tempting her to get up. 'Just ten more minutes.' she promised herself. 'Then I'll get up!' She drew the covers over her head once again and positioned a pillow over her head to block out sounds. Withing minutes, the soft sounds of snoring mingled with the songs of birds.

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-20-2002, 09:16 PM   #347
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* Meriadoc Brandybuck yawned, stretched, and rubbed his eyes once more, but it was still there. Walking out to the stables over rain-washed grass soaking in the sun, he'd noticed it first as a protruding bump adjacent to the stable. Drawing closer, the bump sprouted wheels and an off-white canvas cover over smaller bulges of odd shapes and sizes. A pony cart! Firmly wedged into the stable door, as if pounded there by a hammer, no less. Strange doings were afoot in Buckland. *

* Inside the stable, Hardwin was warm and dry. Unable to break free of his harness, Hardwin strained his neck down to grasp at straws on the ground. *

[ August 20, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-21-2002, 11:38 PM   #348
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Holly grabbed some bread and fruit from the kitchen when she'd got up and raced down to the stable. She wanted to see to Peri and then take him out for a little excercise. She fed and watered him, along with Midnight, who had come nosing over for a piece of apple.

'You boys want to come with me for a little walk?' she asked after mucking out their stalls.

Taking the waggle of their ears at the tone of her voice as an assent, she lead them out the stable door and down the path toward the river. 'Just what we need!' she said to them over her shoulder - a nice ramble down along the river's edge and then we'll come home for lunch.'

They were well on their way to the water's edge, when a familiar voice hailed her.

'Wait up!' came the voice of Vorondil, stepping out from the shadow of some trees.

Holly shook her head in exasperation.'Please don't tell me you've come to drag my poor defenseless hobbit self back to the Inn! It's broad daylight and I have two mighty steeds to defend my honor!' Peri and Midnight stamped their front hooves and neighed at the approaching man.

A large grin creased the young Ranger's face. He held his bare hands out to the two horses and bowed his head. 'I surrender!' he laughed. 'And no, I've not come to take you back. I saw you walking and thought to keep you company for a while. That is, if you don't mind.'

'Don't mind at all!' she said. 'I'm going down to walk along the river's edge for a while. I saw a pretty place along there yesterday, and I hope to be able to sketch it. You can walk along as you like. You're pleasant company enough when you're not bossing people about!' She laughed as he blushed.

'Come on, then' she said, striding off. 'I want to get to that place before I lose the light I want.'

The two walked along companionably, making small talk, in the early morning sun.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:03 AM   #349
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

The neighing of horses coming from the stables woke Bird again, and she decided, rather reluctantly, that the day should now begin.

She sat up in bed, running her fingers through a tangled mess of hair, and considered her options. The inn had been a cozy respite for two days, but a restless part of her said it was time to move on, particularly since she was not officially a guest here.

But the gathering of the Rangers and the hints of trouble in the area made the idea of the road less than appealing. She had no idea what her traveling companions intended to do. She supposed she could team up with Holly, but a small human woman and a smaller hobbit lass would be no deterrent to waylayers or even darker forces that were hinted to be out there.

The wizard Gandalf and his road mates seemed capable of handling any threats on the Greenway, but she wondered what her reception would be after yesterday's confrontation over the shell game. Perhaps they would object to the idea of her traveling with them?

Not for the first time, Bird wished she could simply stay in crow form and fly to her destination...not that she had a destination. But crows did not have pockets, nor could they carry a haversack. And besides, there were always hawks.

"I wish I could just change into a Dunedain, on a fine, tall horse. No fears of traveling, then!" She giggled at the thought, and finally bounded out of bed. If she got downstairs in time, perhaps she would find a caravan that could be trusted.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:43 AM   #350
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* The chamber maid would have plenty to deal with. Gandalf arose from where he'd thrown himself last night. Not having stopped to dry himself by the fire or remove grimy, mud-encrusted robes, let alone wash, evidence of such extreme weariness now silted the bedclothes. Tossing several silver farthings on a dank pillow, Gandalf reheated the water that had been drawn for his bath. Finally reaching a presentable state of cleanliness, he changed into a spare set of robes and went down to breakfast. *

* Pipeweed and tea in the Common Room got the morning off to a promising start, along with bacon and pancakes swimming in butter and boysenberry syrup. *

* Gandalf considered his fellow travelling companions, and the road ahead. Arcon had come along chiefly for the purpose of discussing business of his own with the Rangers, and had indicated a desire to return speedily on his own to the Grey Havens. Bethberry would accompany him South to Tharbad. Birdland ... Gandalf hoped she'd be all right, and hoped their paths would cross this morning. In fact, he meant to delay until he'd seen her. Holly's road would be based both on artistic inspiration and loyalty to Birdland. Olo was a domino connected to Holly and Birdland. What Menelduliniel and Estelarion would choose was anyone's guess. *

* After breakfast, Gandalf intended to enjoy the morning air outside while waiting to have his laundry done. *
Old 08-23-2002, 10:02 PM   #351
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry had allowed herself the luxury of sleeping in, but by now the sunlight streamed so strongly into her room that all the dust mites were dancing like sparklers from one of Gandalf's fireworks.

Returning late and sodden from the rain, Bethberry's work had not yet been done. Working by the light of two large tallow candles, for several hours she prepared herbs for safe keeping. Some she tied into sprigs, to hang and dry by the radiated heat from the chimney; others she washed and laid out to dry on the table; still others she ground or chopped and mixed with oils for tinctures. It was lonely work, but nevertheless peaceful and serene and she soon found herself singing under her breathe, perhaps because she could sense the athelas in the small leather pouch which Strider had given her. That was a remarkable and generous gift and she would store it carefully, as carefully as she packed away the medallion under her clean clothes. She would wear the pendant now, everyday, tucked under her tunic.

Finally freed of her labours, Bethberry had cleaned her boots and then bathed herself in the tepid water left by the maid. She had been half asleep even before her head touched the pillow as dawn streaked the night sky.

Now she rose hungrily, smelling the aroma of roasting meat and savory stews from the kitchen. Dressing quickly and then pulling over her head for the first time Strider's penant, she skipped downstairs and hoped she had not overslept, for she was not sure when Gandalf intended to continue on to Tharbad.

[ August 24, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]
Old 08-25-2002, 12:50 AM   #352
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* A brown-eyed Hobbit with curly golden hair in a forest green dress with deep yellow bows smiled and curtsied at Bethberry's approach. Bethberry recognized her as one of the kitchen maids from last night who'd laughed and clapped amid songs and stories in the back room while preparing stew for Rangers. *

"You'll want to hurry up and eat second breakfast before it's time for elevensies, my lady. Master Gandalf has gone to the stable to check on that fearsome towering black horse of his that he lets wander loose, but says he'll be back presently. Outside at the benches and tables to take blackberry tea with cream and biscuits while he has his laundry done. What shall I bring you, my lady? And will you be wanting any clothes washed?" * The kitchen maid's voice sank to a helpful whisper. * "Oh ... and best not to let that outlandish horse wander onto the neighboring property, lest Farmer Sandheaver charge your wizard friend for the beast's grazing."

* After a second-breakfast of fine white bread with yellow butter, herbed cheese, wildberries, and a sample of beef stew with coffee, Bethberry joined Gandalf on the bench outside. *

* Bird strolled down the stairs and through the main hall of the Trade Inn. She balanced an outer show of confidence that comes when you're pretending to be a paying guest at an Inn with an inward holding of breath that comes when you snatch a perfectly good cluster of grapes from a plate that someone had left to be tossed away as garbage. The Hobbit-servant in a forest green dress with deep yellow bows who now accosted Bird smiled. *

"Your travelling companions are waiting outside. Well, except for your Hobbit friend who's been spirited off of her own free will by a Bounder. Rather too adventurous a tale that will make around the South Farthing, if word gets out."

* Birdland willed her feet to be as stealthy as a Hobbit's as she went outside. Her care paid off, for she was just in time to catch Gandalf and Bethberry in mid-discussion. *

"On to Maladil then, for good or ill, and Rivendell must wait awhile," * intoned Bethberry in lilting Bombadil style. *

"Can't be helped. If we cannot lift the curse, others less well-intentioned will dare it, and indeed, make bold to hide their own darkness even under its foreboding shadow. And Gollum must wait a bit." * Gandalf's smoke billowed about him enough to form another grey cloak. *

* Just then, the kitchen-maid came out like a sun ray on a bobbing leaf, whisking past Bird to place a tea tray with service for four and a basket of biscuits on the table. Gandalf looked up to see Bird. *

"Join us for elevensies, Birdland." * The wizard spoke genially and matter-of-factly, gesturing with his arm towards a bench facing him. * "And speaking of elevens, if you believe I came by mine through trickery, I hope you'll allow me to offer you a chance to make things even between us."

* Bird smiled evenly enough to start with. Her eyes narrowed at Gandalf's final sentence. * "What do you propose?"

"A riddle game, Birdland. After all, you live by your wits, so I wanted to choose a contest suited to your natural talents and fair to us both. If you win, I give you eleven silver pieces. If I win, I offer you the opportunity to earn eleven silver pieces, in my employment. Refuse the riddle game, I owe you nothing, and the whole matter is forgotten. You may ask the first riddle, if you wish."

[ August 25, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 08-25-2002, 06:20 AM   #353
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie finished the grapes (she could never get enough of grapes!) and gestured questioningly at the steaming pitcher of coffee. Gandalf raised a hand in acquiescence and Bird eagerly reached for a mug and the cream pitcher. Then helped herself to the bread and cheese. The wonderful thing about the Halfling custom of mealtimes was that you could sleep as late as you want, and still be assured of a meal upon rising.

As she smiled and nodded thanks to the wizard and his companion, the changling went over in her mind the offer made to her. It seemed either way she might come out ahead. Win and she would regain her hard-earned eleven pennies. Lose and she would at least have a job and a somewhat secure escort on the road. And as for the destination?

The name "Maladil" did not sound very comforting. The twice-told tales around the fire the night of their arrival at the inn suggested a dangerous, but perhaps profitable adventure. Bird wondered just how much she would have to contribute in order to earn eleven silver pennies. Hopefully nothing more than guarding the pack animals and washing up, while more powerful forces did the actual fighting. Birdie had been a camp follower and knew the drill.

The name Rivendell conjured more hopeful images. Bird had always wanted to see Rivendell. As a servant to a mighty wizard, would she be allowed to enter? She believed that the kitchens, stables and back halls of the Elvenhome would be more luxurious than anything else she was used to. It was said that in Rivendell, it never rained, nor got muddy or cold. Clothes always stayed clean, and the beds were always soft. Did Elves hire human servants? Look, Holly! I serve in the House of Elrond, now. Oh, this dress? Given to me by the Lady Arwen, herself, since she had already worn it that morning and was now bored with the color..."

Birdie reluctantly pulled the reins on that particular dream-mare. Now was not the time for such fancies.

But deep in her heart, the real reason she accepted the offer was that she could not forget the crystaline glow that had surrounded Bethberry in the forest, or the blinding white glow revealed around the wizard. Bird looked at the humble, road-worn figures before her and knew that she had been cast into the path of greatness. One had to follow such paths to the end. You turned aside at your peril. Besides, at the end, she could wind up with some good references.

"Very well, good Sir. I'll accept your wager." She sat back with a last mug of coffee while she thought about her first riddle. The image of the fat halfling Podo appeared in her mind, and she smiled. It seemed fitting, since it seemed his dealings had started all the ruckus around here.

Bird led off with the first Riddle:

Though it is not an ox, it has horns;
though it is not an a$$, it has a pack-saddle;
and wherever it goes it leaves silver behind. What is it?
Old 08-25-2002, 10:34 AM   #354
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

OOC: Let me see if I can jump in here without messing you guys up...well: here goes...

Estelarion had begged Menelduliniel to stay out of trouble. He truly had begged her, which drove him mad. She had heeded his warning, though, much to his surprise, and had not said a word for a long time. She had not spoken to anyone, as a matter of fact. That almost worried him, because she was always speaking of something. He watched her as she sat next to him at the bar of the Inn.

He didn't really know where the others had gone. He didn't really care either: he was tired of travelling. He was also tired of acting as guardian to Meneli. She was only 100 years younger than he was: that should not have made all that difference. But, she was so naive for some reason.

It wasn't as if he had to watch over her anyway. Why did he feel this odd obligation to her? He should be able to leave her. But, somehow, he never could bring himself to do so.

Estelarion looked over at Menelduliniel again. She sat, quietly looking down into her drink. She had drunk so many drinks in this sitting...what was wrong? Estelarion cleared his throat, trying to get Menelduliniel to look up, but she didn't.

[{(<*> )}]

Menelduliniel sat, absorbed in her own thoughts. It had not been Estelarion's begging that had kept her out of trouble at all. It had been all Menelduliniel. She was...she didn't know. She felt weird. And lonely. Yes, she definitely felt lonely.

But why should she feel lonely?

At that point, Estelarion cleared his throat next to her. She flinched into her drink, annoyed that he disturbed her thoughts. He probably wanted her to look up. She didn't feel like talking, though.

She drained her cup. This had been what: her 8th? Maybe 9th. Who knew...who cared?

She drained a final cup...a 9th or 10th...then decided she should go to bed. Where had the others gone? She and Estelarion had been separated from the others after the first ajourn in the meeting they had all had with the Rangers. That's when Estelarion took her aside and begged her. Then, after they had spoken for a while, they had gone back and couldn't find anyone. So: they had passed their time here at the bar...and in their room, dozing.

Menelduliniel got up and noticed Estelarion arise behind her. She grimaced as she saw that he planned to follow her. She didn't even know where she was thinking over going.

She and Estelarion made their way up the stairs. At the top, she wheeled around to face Estelarion, surprising him and making him almost lose his balance. He clutched the banister and steadied himself.

"Where are the others?" Menelduliniel said, in an even voice.

"Do you think I would know?" Estelarion said, trying to keep an even voice, but getting more frustrated with Menelduliniel's mood swings, "I have been with you this whole time!"

"Do not shout!" Menelduliniel hissed at him, even though he was speaking as quietly as she.

Estelarion had finally had enough of Menelduliniel. And his ribs still hurt, too...

Estelarion took Menelduliniel none-too-gently by the arms, and pushed her into their room. He held both her arms and looked into her face.

"Okay: tell me: what is wrong with you?" Estelarion hissed at Menelduliniel, who refused to look at Estelarion, "I have done nothing but guard you and protect you this whole time! Do you think that is all I desire to do? Do you think I have no other obligations?"

Estelarion let go of Menelduliniel's left arm and lifted her chin to make her look into his furious face. She looked back at him coldly.

"Then why do you not leave?" Menelduliniel answered, without expression in her face.

"Because...because..." Estelarion breathed heavily, trying to think of the answer. Finally, he released her, pushing her away. "I just cannot. I do not know why."

Estelarion sat on the bed and clenched his teeth. Menelduliniel sat down next to him.

"I'm not ignoring you, you know, Estel," Menelduliniel said quietly, "I just need to think about some things."

"You should have just told me that before," Estelarion said gently.

He arose from the bed and lay down on the other one.

"I think we both need time to think at some point soon," Estelarion said, looking at the ceiling. He paused for a second, then sat up and continued, "But we do not know where the others have gone. We should go downstairs and ask around. I am sure the innkeeper knows. And if he does not, we may find one of them wandering around down there."

Menelduliniel got up off the bed and pulled Estelarion up to his feet.

"Let us go then," she said. Both exited quietly and went down the stairs to look for the others...

OOC: Was that okay? I read what I missed, but still I'm not 100% sure where everyone is. If there's something wrong, let me know and I'll change it.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:19 PM   #355
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Bethberry chuckled a throaty, good-hearted laugh at the game. Mirth they could all use, and she had guessed that the challenge was one which Birdie would appreciate.

Are any of us allowed to try our hand at answers? she asked hopefully. She already had a guess ready for Birdie's first riddle and waited excitedly for permission to reply.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:13 PM   #356
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Birdie raised a mischievious eyebrow. "Two brains against one? Well, I suppose that will even the odds a bit. What say you, Gandalf?"
Old 08-25-2002, 05:09 PM   #357
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

* For a long moment Gandalf paused without speaking, and apparently without hearing, lost in intense concentration as smoke drifted up unnoticed. *

* Bethberry laughed heartily again. * "I can see this will be a test of wit for the two of you. Let me just enjoy my tea."

* Gandalf repeated the riddle. *

Though it is not an ox, it has horns;
though it is not an a$$, it has a pack-saddle;
and wherever it goes it leaves silver behind. What is it?

My guess would be a snail.

(OOC: Bethberry and I spoke by phone, and since her computer will be down until later tonight, she gave me permission to have her character respond according to what I've posted above. Also, I just got home from being out all afternoon at a living history program, and plan to post a riddle for Birdie to answer after I've had dinner.)
Old 08-25-2002, 06:36 PM   #358
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

"Very good!" Bird saluted with her coffee mug. "It is indeed a snail. An easy riddle to start things off."

"I await your challenge, Gandalf"

Bird wore her "stone-face", suitable for wagering occasions. She would not like Gandalf and Bethberry to know that she was absolutely terrible at riddle games!
Old 08-25-2002, 06:55 PM   #359
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Thank you, Bird. * Gandalf nodded respectfully to his adversary. * Here's one for you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I might have a name,
then the name gives me might.
Even if I am two-handed,
I have no arms though I am one.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:37 PM   #360
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Eyes sparkling, Bethberry moved as if ready to provide an answer to this second riddle, but she quickly caught herself. She realized that Gandalf was making a serious stand about the nature of fair contests and that her mirthful instincts were out of place. 'Tis best not to meddle in the affairs of wizards, she said to herself as she settled back to enjoy the warm sun. Soon enough she would have to return to finish her herbal preparations; she should take what relaxation she could.

(OOC: Thanks, Gandalf, for posting that for me. We're connected once again, but I have to return to my paint stripping now.)

[ September 04, 2002: Message edited by: Bethberry ]