Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2002, 04:31 AM   #81
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
Shield

WHOOPS! Looks like I missed the post directed at me on the 29th of last month.
No prolem, let's just say that Kewl the dwarf was relieving himself behind some bushes..heh heh!

All righty then, let's meet up on the road. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2002, 10:52 AM   #82
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Gandalf_theGrey has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Cimmerian:

After having been informed about what took place on an RPG called "The Lonely Star," I have decided that it is best for you not to be involved in the On Patrol RPG at this time. Perhaps our paths will cross on some other RPG instead.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 07-07-2002, 02:32 PM   #83
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Ah, that explains alot now. I was wondering why Kewl's head was suddenly lobbed off without explanation. Sorry Birdland and Holly for my somewhat "untrustworthy" posts, but that is the way of my character. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ July 07, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 07-07-2002, 02:37 PM   #84
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

No problem, Orofacion - I enjoyed our interchange. While Holly can often be practical and sometimes reticent in her character, she has no qualms about rising to a challenge in an expedient manner. You will find her a good-hearted hobbit, but as ferocious as a wolverine when cornered by evil.
Old 07-07-2002, 03:20 PM   #85
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Actually, pio, one of the characteristics I like about the Barrow Downs is its sense of rightful purpose and consistent tone.

But, hey, 'wolverine'? ... Hmmn, isn't that from another fantasy line? *grin* (j/k)
Old 07-07-2002, 03:25 PM   #86
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

BLAH! BLAH! BLAH! I NEED to read the board more often! Haha...I understand everything now...okay...
Old 07-07-2002, 04:11 PM   #87
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Bethberry - I had forgotten! Wolverine is one of the X-men, yes?

But my reference was to the natural characteristics of the creature itself - quite a doughty little fighter when threatened.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:11 PM   #88
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Silmaril

Now that I've had a chance to recover a bit from long hours on the road crammed into a few short days, I wanted to compliment all those who are coming up with marvelous songs and poetry within the On Patrol RPG. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

piosenniel and Birdland are doing a most entertaining job at providing folk songs in the best tradition of suspenseful balladeers, masterfully intermingling the action in the RPG to match the tale within the song. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Orofacion of the Vanyar and Vanima Edhel are to be commended for the remarkable talent they show in composing lyrics in the Elvish tongue that reflect Elvish mood and culture. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

~~ Gandalf the Grey
Old 07-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #89
Cimmerian
Shade of Carn Dűm

Cimmerian has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cimmerian
1420!

What am I going to do with the ticket I purchased for this road trip....baaawww!

Right, if you are referring to the short lived career of Ulrich the Black, well, he was just some comic relief I interjected into that RPG. He's gone now!

As for Kewl, well, I missed Sunday, so I am not sure how you all reacted, but nevermind, I am role playing in Nine RPGs at the moment, I guess I should take a raincheck on this one.

Best of luck on this story, I will be reading it with interest. Consider Kewl back in the Prancing Pony, drowning his sorrows in flagons of ale.

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2002, 02:06 AM   #90
Feadolena Nolfare
Pile O'Bones

Feadolena Nolfare has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gandalf, many thanks for disposing of my sorry self for a bit. I am back from camp now, and ready to return in full force. Hopefully you will be around to explain what you know of the wraith situation, since the wraith seemed to have connexions both to the Downs (out of sheer proximity) and Mordor (the horse and various comments). Both I and Moridel are rather puzzled on that one.

Aww, I missed the songs! Well, I had great fun reading them in any case, and if the occasion arises Moridel shall certainly treat you all to one of her own. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I hope I am doing alright, I have very little experience with RPGs.

Now whatever happened to those crows...?
Old 07-08-2002, 10:56 AM   #91
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Cimmerian:

* bows an honorable farewell, showing full respect and openness to meeting again at a more fitting future time and place *

Feadolena Nolfare:

Welcome back, it's good to see you.

Have no fear, Gandalf will make a reappearance ... though what he can explain about the wraith ... or chooses to explain, must be limited within the bounds of keeping what the wizard suspects may be the One Ring "safe and secret."

All:

What I envision as far as the timeline is that Bilbo Baggins has retired to Rivendell and been there about a year. Thus Frodo is in possession of the Ring and Gandalf is researching it, but definitely does not have (and will not now discover) all the answers. Meanwhile, Gandalf is also not aware of the ways in which Saruman is secretly working to undermine the integrity of the Shire. Gandalf is simply "On Patrol" at this point, puzzled by the growing dangers that he's heard whispered rumors of. Certainly Gandalf does not suspect Saruman, nor will any evidence pointing to Saruman come to light within this "On Patrol" RPG ... since the aim of this RPG is to remain true to Tolkien's presentation of Lord of the Rings. No mystery will be solved in the "On Patrol" RPG ... simply, this RPG will portray the daily skirmishes that a Ranger or other travellers would face at this time along the roads bordering the Shire.

As for songs, Feadolena, since we're striving to proceed in the best Tolkien tradition, there are bound to be opportunities for the good Hedgemaiden to share a melody along the journey. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

And as for your skill in RPGs, Feadolena, if it's true you have little experience, then you must be a natural. You definitely have quite a talent for storytelling.

Gandalf the Grey

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-08-2002, 04:31 PM   #92
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Hmmm...sounds like a good plan for the RPG Gandalf. And, when I actually have time, I can come up with a better song. I was just hurriedly thinking of something.

Cim, sorry you couldn't ride along for the RPG! Look forward to having more RPG's with you!

All: if my characters spend some time talking to each other about random history, it will be to explain why a character will act as they do later on. It may seem pointless (if I ever even TYPE the conversations), but: you'll understand more about the character later...just bear with me: I'm 15: I talk a lot, and I come from a school where elaboration is worshipped. So: as I said: bear with me, I'll come through for ya!
Old 07-08-2002, 04:33 PM   #93
The Fifth
Shade of Carn Dűm

The Fifth has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to The Fifth Send a message via AIM to The Fifth
Sting

All:

I will be leaving this RP so I can start one of my own. You were all great to RP with, and we will probably meet again! Gandy, you may post the actions for the Ringwraith's horse.
- Ringwraith #5,
Servant of the Eye
Old 07-08-2002, 04:40 PM   #94
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bye, Fifth. You do good horse. I'll look for your RPG, if it's here at the Downs.

(Fifth gallops off into the sunset.)
Old 07-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #95
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Farewell, The Fifth,

Likewise I enjoyed your presence in the RP. You added much in the way of dimension. Also appreciate the inherited horse. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Looking forward to the time when our paths cross again,

Gandalf the Grey

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 AM   #96
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

I don't think I've ever known anyone who played a horse so well, farwell and good luck The Fifth.

Gandalf,

Are you planning something or is this new attack open to all the RPers to add on as they wish? I ask because I don't want to rush in when if you have something in mind.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:11 AM   #97
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Orofacion of the Vanyar:

Yes, this new attack action is open for anyone involved in the RP to participate in as they wish.

Please feel welcome to become involved in the melee against the smugglers. Because your character Arcon is around to witness that an ambush has taken place, he can now react.

The reason why Menelduliniel and Estelarion were the only ones hurt is because they drove their horses on ahead of the group and into range of the smugglers' missile weapons. Since the smugglers were hidden, the smugglers had what's known in ancient RP terms as "initiative" and were able to strike first.

As threadmaster, I rolled dice to determine how many smugglers there are, which thrown objects hit and which missed, and then to determine the amount of damage taken by Menelduliniel and Estelarion.

Please feel free to carry on with the story and post as you see fit, Orofacion. Don't worry about what I'm doing with the dice ... just go ahead and post whatever comes natural.

Gandalf the Grey

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Gandalf_theGrey ]
Old 07-09-2002, 01:03 PM   #98
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

Ah, the dice. I should have known. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

All,

A brief explanation of my recent elvish. Car-mae literally translates in Sindarin to "to do well", that is the closest I could get to "are you ok". Dar-si ned i band sad actually translates to "Stay here in the safe area". If you translate other such similar phrases from their exact language in other tongues, you'll get a similar English translation.

Example: In the french language, "Mais oui" literally translates in English to "But yes". This phrase is used as "Of course" in French. I'm probably just trying to make excuses for my lack of elvish lexicon and grammar, haha [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img], but it's all I could come up with.

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]
Old 07-09-2002, 01:16 PM   #99
Naaramare
Wight

Naaramare has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Naaramare
Sting

We forgive you. out of curiousity, do you speak French, or is that a beginner's knowledge?

Eeep! Smugglers, and here Naaramare is without any weapons . . .foolish elf . . .

si man i yulma nin equantuva? [my blog]
Old 07-09-2002, 01:20 PM   #100
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

Naaramare,

That is a little bit of what I remember from my two French classes from high school. I got a "B" in both classes and used to know alot more, but forgot alot.

P.S. By the way, I'm an Egyptian too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #101
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Heh. Was wondering. I'm almost bilingual, though it's fallen off a bit since I dropped my immersion courses.

[ July 09, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

Old 07-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #102
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Birdie,

I hope that ride with Wyrd is okay with you. If you don't want to be removed from the fray, let me know and I'll edit that last paragraph to leave you in it.

Bethberry
Old 07-09-2002, 04:53 PM   #103
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Neep! Surprised me with that action, you guys! Didn't expect to get hurt that quickly. Oh well: I'll survive the shock! Heehee...
Old 07-09-2002, 05:31 PM   #104
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bethberrry - Actually, I was kinda hoping that Wyrd would ride to the rescue. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

BTW: what is Wyrd, a hawk or a falcon? I wrote "falcon", but can change that easily enough. Also, what does "Wyrd" mean?
Old 07-09-2002, 06:27 PM   #105
Naaramare
Wight

Tolkien

Hmmm. Of last post: I reread carefully and didn't see any reason why one of our assailants couldn't have crept around to take out the wounded . . .I apologize if I missed it!

Old 07-09-2002, 07:44 PM   #106
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

I thought you might be 'feeding' me a move, but wanted to be sure, Birdie. Good to be on the same wavelength!

Wyrd is a falcon. The name comes from Old English; it means, 'fate.' I have tried to provide my character with forms of defense that aren't traditional 'sword and dagger' things and which fit her history in the Old Forest.

I'm still trying to get used to a shape-shifter in M-E!! Great idea.

Bethberry
Old 07-09-2002, 08:15 PM   #107
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Thanks! It started as a joke in another RPG, but now I kind of like it, and it's fun creating a "canon" for a character who has none.

Hey, we can't all be elves. So I'll just be the Raggle-Taggle Skin-Changer-O!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:17 PM   #108
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Gandalf,

Great work starting this new attack! It is good to have something original and full of realism to provoke the action.

It looks like Bethberry's bag of healing herbs is going to be well-used after this encounter!

I, too, am sorry to see The Fifth ride off into his own RP. He was a good wraith, if that isn't a contradiction is terms, LOL!

Bethberry
Old 07-10-2002, 06:08 AM   #109
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

(Small black and white crow peers down from trees at noble wizard on black Mordor steed. She waves her wings up and down, trying to attract attention, but Gandalf's eyes are fixed on battle. Crow flits down from tree and lands on the head of the horse)

"Hel-LO! Skin-changer here!!! Woo-Hoo!"

Bethberry - Herbal mace! Cool!
Old 07-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #110
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

Okay: I'm unconscious: are you all HAPPY NOW?! Heehee: it's okay, though ! LOL
Old 07-10-2002, 09:51 PM   #111
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Sorry, All, I 'm too exhausted by events in RL to post something creative to the RP tonight. (Nothing serious--major painting job, errands with kids, preparing birthday feast and cake for daughter, watering and weeding garden. Where's Sam when I could use him?)

I need some time to sort out all the slings and arrows of our outrageous fortune before I can pull out the herbal remedies. Wyrd left one of the crebain. Is it still around?

Bethberry
Old 07-10-2002, 11:46 PM   #112
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

I share Bethberry's exhaustion. I also am leaving bright and early at 5 AM... today to Savannah to find an apartment for next school year. So I will be gone until Sunday evening. I look forward to reading what everyone will have contributed.

Toodles,
Oro
Old 07-11-2002, 12:17 AM   #113
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

Birdland:

Am definitely looking forward to some rewardingly worthwhile interaction between Birdie and Gandalf, my friend, and having our two characters get to know each other better. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I admit that my approach to running an RPG is eccentric when compared to the norm ... The reason why I posted that your character didn't get noticed, is because I was taking into account something known in ancient RPG rules as a "melee round." A melee round is defined as that portion of an RPG in which every individual on both sides, the player characters/company side and the monsters/adversaries side, get to take their turn by choosing an action which fills up a certain amount of "story time." Since Birdland's chosen action had been "running towards the others," ... I took that to mean that she was not within range of being attacked, nor was she in range of, say, holding a conversation with Gandalf, unless it were a far-off shouted one. Okay, so maybe I'm strange. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Also, topping that awesome plot collaboration between you and Bethberry in the scene where Wyrd swoops in to resuce Birdie would've been a tall order. * bows major compliments * [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Vanima Edhel:

Your character being unconscious actually goes along quite well with the story and is eminently logical when I look at it from my RPG background. Don't worry though, to my mind, the injuries Menelduliniel suffered should not be fatal and should quickly respond to treatment once you are under the care of a healer. As for Estelarion, his condition is more serious but even he should pull through.

Bethberry and Orofacion of the Vanyar:

I can relate to both the exhaustion and the intrusion of RL "real life" responsibilities this week. Believe me, I'm in a similar situation myself. When you're able to post, your posts will be welcome. * bows *

Gandalf the Grey
Old 07-11-2002, 08:28 AM   #114
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Birdie,

Quote:
it's fun creating a "canon" for a character who has none.
I concur!! Although the number of people who don't make a connection between 'Bethberry' and 'Goldberry' I find surprising.

Oro,

Good luck finding an apartment.

All,

I'll be back later.

Bethberry
Old 07-13-2002, 11:35 PM   #115
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

All,

I am back and am now a happy renter of a newly renovated apartment in Mid-Town Savannah. Three other friends and myself are sharing a 5 bedroom place. It's good to be back though.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:05 AM   #116
Gandalf_theGrey
Visionary Spirit

Sting

All:

Thank you for carrying the RPG forward in my absence. This past week, I've been battling water damage in my apartment ... caused by the fact that when the guy upstairs took a shower, the water leaked down into my walk-in closet and caused a mold infestation. We had to rip apart the entire closet, which means that many of my belongings are still strewn all over the floor in my bedroom and living room.

A computer training seminar further ate into my time.

Today, I'm headed out the door to participate in a living history program with the local park system ... good thing I'm an unpaid volunteer, because I'm going to be at least two hours late. Then again, "a wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to." [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

On top of that, I expect to be making a major announcement when all the details are (hopefully) finalized some time on Monday.

Meanwhile, I still fully intend to continue on with the RP, and hope to post another contribution to the story soon.

Orofacion of the Vanyar:

Congrats on the new apartment, my friend, and welcome back. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Gandalf the Grey
Old 07-14-2002, 05:07 PM   #117
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

Silmaril

1: I changed my profile (look at it! isn't it cool?!)!

2: WB GANDALF!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 01:37 AM   #118
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Thumbs up

Gandalf,

I look forward to your anouncement. Good luck on the repairs and I hope you have an excellent time on the living history, that sounds like a wonderful thing. I've actually tried to use that excuse when I was late once to a drawing class.

"An artist is neither late or early, he arrives precisely when he means to, or wakes up. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] "
Old 07-15-2002, 10:15 AM   #119
Naaramare
Wight

Sting

Oro: Late congrats on the new appartment. Tell me, did that excuse work? (On a related note, I once got an excused late after being twenty minutes late because I entertained my school secretaries with a blatantly implausible story about aliens. It was great fun)

Gandalf: Ohh, now you've got me curious as to what the announcement will be.

Bethberry: ::looks at RP thread last post:: What are you implying? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ July 15, 2002: Message edited by: Naaramare ]

Old 07-15-2002, 06:56 PM   #120
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Boots

Hi Naamare, [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I worried that it would look like I was implying something! *sheepish grin*

I took my cue from Oro when he said that we could use the agrimony but he still needed water. I was thinking that this would be an opportunity for your character and Arcon to have a truly 'elvish' discussion, away from those who might not understand or appreciate, especially because of your recent 'memory.'

This is Middle Earth, eh, and the elves are so, umm, otherworldly. I hope this was okay. I really am a Tolkien purist. Maybe not as exclusively as Gandalf, but still a purist. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Bethberry

PS. Too tired to post much tonight. I am becoming intimately acquainted with Home Depot and paint and wallpaper stores in ways that are hard to fathom.