The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-27-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sleepy Ranger has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe Tol-In-Gauroth XXIV: Battle of the Band[Wagon]s

Roles
3 Werewolves
1 Ranger
1 Hunter
1 Seer
1 Mytho

Rules
Double-lynchings shall be allowed.

No retracable votes.

If you haven't voted for two days straight (even if you're active) without proper reason will lead to you getting killed off.

The deadline is noon EST.

Mod
Sleepy Ranger

Players
Menelteramacil
Glirdan
Macalaure
Diamond18
THE Ka
Thinlomien
Celuien
Eonwe
Nogrod
Durelin
Boromir88
Folwren
Volo
Rune

Opening post to follow. Remember it is currently night, which means, wolves may converse. The Ranger and Hunter may converse as well and the Seer has to send in the name of a person to dream of.

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 09-29-2006 at 04:54 AM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via MSN to Sleepy Ranger Send a message via Yahoo to Sleepy Ranger
Pipe So it begins...

Word had started to get around. There was to be, what was being advertised as, the greatest Battle of the Bands this world has ever seen. It was open by invitation only and fourteen of the finest musicians were to be handpicked by the world [in]famous music critic, Sleepy Cowell. Musicians all over the world had their fingers crossed in hopes of being chosen to compete for the honor of being named the greatest in the world. The greatest ever.

The wait was two weeks long. Exactly fourteen days after the competition had been announced the fourteen musicians that were to take part were finally announced. The invitations sent, nobody declined. The poster promoting the event looked a little something like this.

The Greatest Battle of the Bands Ever...
Bring your family, bring your friends and hop aboard the jolly wagon of music!!!

For the first time ever, fourteen of the greatest musical talents in the world will compete for the honor of being named the greatest ever. Live music with a never ending buffet!!! Fill that musical appetite!!!

There's prizes to be won as well!!! Special discount rates at The Snowy Wolf Tavern!!! 50% of for early reservations!!! Book your ticket now!!!

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: THE BEST THERE WAS, THE BEST THERE IS, THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE!!!

Yes, this event was being billed as what would be the greatest event to ever take place in our world and time. The competition was to be hosted in the Theatre of Dreams in the valley of Raunter. The Snowy Wolf Tavern was situated not too far away and the musicians would be accomadated there. This competition promised to shake the very foundations of music, that is, until something threatened to shake it's foundations.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe The Chosen Ones

You are all probably wondering who these fourteen [un]lucky musicians are. Well, I shall not leave you suspense for too long. Sleepy Cowell had not only named them but had also given them a brief biography of sorts. His final list looked something like this,

Volo
Easily one of the most influential heavy metal musicians to have ever graced the musical world. A man referred to as the 'Grandfather' of European heavy metal definitely deserves a chance to compete in a battle as such.

Boromir88
One of the greatest classic rock 'n' roll superstars. If you asked me to pick my favorite of that genre, without a second thought, it would be this man. He's tried his hand at vocal criticism but in all honesty he should stick to the music and leave criticism to people who know how to do it, like me.

Meneltarmacil
Now I doubt anyone would argue this pick. I reckon it was perhaps the most obvious out of all. How would a competition as such be complete without this man, without the King? Perhaps now is the time for him to test his might against the rest. Will the King remain King at the end of this or will he pass on the crown?

Durelin
Ah, "pop culture’s unkempt poster child of doom and gloom." A fine addition to this tournament. This person may dress... well... uh... I'd suggest going a bit easy on the lipstick but well it's your choice.

Folwren
A religious band has somehow managed to sneak it's way onto my list. Regardless I reckon they did a well enough job in their field to earn a spot here. For a band that began by performing at home I'd say they're doing well enough.

Celuien
Ah... for some reason you're a conductor... but you're a great musical talent none the less. Ahem, I must say that the photographic memory and some other rather, how shall I put it, illusionary traits have convinced me to let you in. Easily one of the biggest fish in this competition, too bad we're not measure fish.

THE Ka
Definitely an interesting personality, both on and off stage. Said to be appealing to shy teenagers and to glorify working-class criminality. Good thing theres plenty of that in this world. Anyway, a very talented and influentian musician though some songs could be called controversial, I'm certain I've made a good pick.

Rune
For a man who started off just writing I'd say he has done very, very well. His songs are brilliant and very poetic. His vocals may not be that appealing but he can get the job done.

Glirdan
Could be called a controversial pick but their lead placed third in their region's counterpart of Middle-Earth Idol, a show which you'll all remember I judged. Anyway, they are new blood and provide some youth and enthusiasm to proceedings.

Eonwe
I'm not sure what to tell you about them except that their appeal lies in being confusing. Ahem, perhaps another controversial pick but I reckon their music would add some variety (not that we don't already have a lot) and liven up the competition.

Macalaure
Ah... finally someone who participated in Middle-Earth Idol. They were rejected but uh... that is another story. He has great skill with the harp and is a very talented singer, earning the nickname "Mighty Singer". After giving him a heart-crushing 'no' in Idol, I'm giving him a spirit-raising 'yes' for this one.

Diamond18
Here is a delightful trio with roots in some genre known as bluegrass. I always thought the grass was greener on the other side, obviously they have another story to tell. Anyway, this could very easily be billed as another controversial pick however I'll say they, another pick along the lines of Hedley, will have a positive effect on proceedings.

Thinlómien
I, for some reason, have picked a horn for the competition. Oh wait, they're a band. Now then you could quite possibly label this as my most controversial pick but the competition needed some international exposure and an unheard of Finnish band would quite possibly do the trick.

Nogrod
Now here's a band which I daresay would be nothing if not for their lead. Regardless they had a fair impact despite their short time together. They're only in it since the lead singer stated he would not participate without his band. The whims of fame...
Old 09-27-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
Sleepy Ranger
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pipe

The Battle of the Bands had started of with a bang. People had come in hundreds to see the event. The Snowy Wolf Tavern was filled up in barely an hour, the rest took to setting up camp near by. The first day had started. The fourteen performers gave it their all and were met by a very encouraging round of applause. Sleepy Cowell however was very critical of all of them and declared then that none of them looked good enough to win this and would have to work on their act if they hoped to be even half-way respectable.

His comments were treated to a large round of boos from the audience as the fourteen looked at him dis-heartened. Night fell, everyone returned to their quarters but when the morning came... the mood changed completely. Nobody had expected something like this to occur. Everyone (apart from the conetstants) took to running away. In under an hour the only occupants of the area were the fourteen musicians and Sleepy Cowell. One of them no longer drew breath.

The crowd had awoken to a shocking scene. In the lobby, where once hung a rather fierce looking wolf now hung the severed head of Sleepy Cowell and under the head lay a headless body, unmistakeably his. Pinned under the head and above the body was a note. It read,

Sleepy Cowell, thank you for picking us but you are no longer needed. We are already the greatest musicians in the world and the rest of you are just thorns in our side. The three of us will make sure that you thorns are soon extracted and thrown aside. One by one you will all be picked off. There is no escape, a magical barrier guards the way out. Nobody can enter, nobody can leave. Embrace your fate.

A strange and uneasy silence hung over the musicians. There were three amongst them who had given dirty play a whole new meaning. They looked from one another. "Maybe a bit of fresh air would help clear our minds!" a voice spoke up. Nobody relpied yet they all did step outside. They made their way to the large shell where they had performed earlier. Lo behold! Here there was another note,

Greetings musicians,

You need not worry. Yes, there are those amongst you who wish to cause you harm but keep cool. Stay in the shell during the day, you can not come to any harm here. At night I'm afraid the shell loses it's power and you will have to retreat back to the Tavern. It's up to you to come up with a way to get out of this, to prove you really are amongst the greatest musicians to have ever hummed a tune. It's up to you to keep the spirit of music alive!

Yours Instrumentally,
The Phantom of the Battle-O-Bands

The day had begun. Eyes met, the battle of the bands may have started yesterday but yesterday was just a teaser. The true battle had just begun!

Day 1
Wolves stop talking. Ranger & Hunter stop discussions. Day has begun, you may now start posting. Deadline is 1pm EST just for this day.

Dead
Sleepy Cowell (Mod) - Beheaded and mounted on a wall.

Alive

Menelteramacil
Glirdan
Macalaure
Diamond18
THE Ka
Thinlomien
Celuien
Eonwe
Nogrod
Durelin
Boromir88
Folwren
Volo
Rune

Last edited by Sleepy Ranger; 09-28-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Sleepy Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
A very, very shocking beginning. Being beheaded is not a very good thing. I'm rather shocked that. . .that would have happened. . .so soon. You'd think the villains would wait a few deaths later to get gruesome.

I am just checking in. I have nothing to say, other than, good luck, good people, and bad luck bad people.

And don't try to derive any strange and twisted meaning out of this first post be cause there isn't any.

-- Folwren
Old 09-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

I'm all shook up about what just happened.

We must not toss around wild accusations yet. I believe the best use of our time toDay would be to discuss how exactly the wolves should be hunted down. We're better off going after the wolves with a plan than without one. Some here may think a wolf ain't nothin' but a hound dog, but they're wrong, believe me. Werewolves can be pretty crafty, and we need to be just as crafty to catch them.

Anyhow, I regret to inform you that I'll fall into a deep sleep early on Day 5, and will not wake up until Day 7 due to certain circumstances.

Whatever you do, though, please don't step on my blue suede shoes.

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 09-28-2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Meneltarmacil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 AM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
To the King:

Quote:
I believe the best use of our time toDay would be to discuss how exactly the wolves should be hunted down.
There's one problem that I see with this, it seems rather open. What I mean is by openly discussing how we are going to find werewolves, it would be much easier for the wolves to hide and avoid suspicion, especially if they know what we are going to do to go about finding them. It will be much easier for them to simply be A face in the crowd.

I do agree about random accusations that gets us nowhere and just compounds the confusion of Day 1.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
"I have had harder times than this. My childhood friend and the drummer of my band commited a suicide, now that was bad..." Volo was extremly sad that this competition was a fraud. "This is sad, Sleepy shouldn't have suffered this, just like none of us should have. The only thing that is left for us is to survive. Let's get rid of the wolves and have a fair competition!" With that Volo took out his guitar and started playing a song of silence.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, I dunno about u chums, but I've got my ticket out of here! I'm gonna rely on the Power of Rock! to see me through this one!

As for me, Menel, I intend to use my wamy-bar to find to wolves. You know that trick with a forked stick, that's used to find wells? Well, it works the same way. If I point my guitar at someone, and it ... um, wamies, then you are obviously a wolf. So, will you all form a neat line in front of me, and we'll settle this matter quickly with very little confution...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:37 PM   #10
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
"Now Eonwe, don't start pointing your stick at anybody you see. The Power of Rock sounds good, but don't rely on it too much.
Boromir said something as true as sad, any strategy we think of now will most certainly turn against us.
Menel, I'm sorry for your absence, but I vow to wake up the king! By the way, talented lad that Toby..."
Volo started playing his alltime favourite, Exciter. Glenn sure knew how to use a guitar! And Rob's voice, nothing can beat that, perfect.
Volo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #11
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The only problem with openly discussing our plans of how to catch wolves is what Boromir said - the wolves will know our plane.

The only problem with not openly discussing our plans is...there's no other way to discuss things.

I'm going to quote Boromir not because I'm accusing him or anything, but to make things more conveniently looked up. Okay, Boromir said:

Quote:
There's one problem that I see with this, it seems rather open. What I mean is by openly discussing how we are going to find werewolves, it would be much easier for the wolves to hide and avoid suspicion, especially if they know what we are going to do to go about finding them. It will be much easier for them to simply be A face in the crowd.
Yes, it's true that if we talk about how we're going to go about things, the wolves will try to find ways to hide. On the other hand, if we do not make some sort of effort to bring ourselves together, then we'll be running around with no plan, each man for himself, and the world doesn't go around very well when people act like that. As Benjamin Franklin said at the signing of the Declaration of Independence:

"We must all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately."

-- Folwren
Old 09-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #12
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

*continues to munch on jelly doughnuts*

I understand your concerns, Boromir, and they are completely justified. Really, though, there's no way to discuss strategies for finding wolves without them hearing us, and it would be worse if we just tossed votes around at people without discussing them first. Remember, lynchings are carried out not by individuals' whims, but by majority vote. Folwren's Benjamin Franklin quote sums this up pretty well, and can be applied quite literally to this situation.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Dude!! What just happened? Sleepy was beheaded!? No way!! Who did this to the guy? A Wolf!? You're kididng me!! I have a phobia of big furry creatures you know...

But I'll still help find the killer of one of the most famous dudes of all, dude. But if I'm not around a lot, it's cuz I have other things to take care of (OOC - RL stuff). But I'll try and be here as much as possible dudes duddettes.

But I've gotta jet. So I'll catch you on the flip side!

(That's me trying to act stupid...didn't work to well...)
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Just checking in.

This is no town for me. No symphony, no opera. If it weren't for the spell, I think I'd just leave.

I'm against random votes. I intend to focus my efforts on locating these imposter 'greatest musicians.' Ha! Greatest, indeed.

I'll return later.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It doesn't matter if we all die...

Which it looks like we might.

Personally, I expect the wolfman is having me for dinner tonight...

Just let me see Morrissey go before I do, okay?

The press try to categorize me a 'gloom-and-doom' singer. But, take a look at Morrissey! That man's a professional moaner!

The perfect lynchee. He'll find it fun.

++Morrissey

Or rather,

++THE Ka

*wanders off-stage singing, "Morrissey in a coma, I know, I know..."*
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #16
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

My ideas on how to spot wolves:

They will usually blend into the crowd. Some may be bold enough to be rather talkative, but there's most likely only going to be one doing that. The loud wolf, however, is the dangerous one. He/she will influence the voting and sway people toward innocents. If it seems the lynchings have not been going well and innocents have died, I suggest the Seer investigate the more influential people. The other two wolves will probably not try to create any serious trouble during the Day preferring to stay out of the spotlight.

What a wolf is not likely to do, though, is be completely silent. That usually leads to lynching, regardless of one's status. I'm not saying ignore the silent ones, though, as double-bluffing is also effective.

Above all though, don't step on my blue suede shoes.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:14 PM   #17
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Menel, I do agree that there must be some sort of unity amongst us singers, but our best chance of winning comes down trust in individuals (and that's where the unity comes in). Do I want to trust you? Do you want to trust me? As the days go on we will all be able to establish our own cases against who we think are the wolves and the people we feel safe about. If that's what you were meaning, than I certainly have no disagreement. In order to find the wolves we have at least for a certain time, feel that someone is innocent. As simply suspecting everyone and saying everybody is a wolf, 'I trust no one' serves no good.

What I was meaning, was I don't think it's a good idea to talk about what we will be looking for the wolves to do, because that makes it far too easier for wolves to hide in and look innocent. If I spot something that looks wolvish, I go right after and jump on it. I don't like to discuss my own personal strategy as far as what I'm looking for the wolves to do, because that makes it easier for the wolves to get on my 'innocent' side, as they will know my mind and what I'm looking for.

Glirdan, your post seems far too dramatic to me. It shouldn't really be all that shocking. I bet Mr. Sleepy Cowell has received millions of death threats over the years. It should no surprise that someone (well wolves actually) went through with it.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-28-2006 at 04:16 PM. Reason: bolding the names
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:54 PM   #18
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Sleepy Cowell is dead. . .

And here we are a large group of musicians gathered on the same place, it reminds me of the Chelsea Hotel.

As for discussing what stradegy to use, well I have to join the choir that sings that it ain't no cure. Right now any stradegy would be almost pointless, I am willing to discus stradegy just not now.

Right now I don't have anything to say, I just wanted to let you know I am here.

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 09-28-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Deleting a "?"
Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #19
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
It is alright Robert, I understand your need to judge before action and investigation.

Anyways, If I can say something without being cut off, it is a terribly bloody shame that Sleepy has left us. Now, we have this whole deal in ruins with no judge, and not too bad at one for that... I hope this doesn't have us in an inferno for too long, Johnny tends to become frustrated if we stay at a gig too long, then the guitars tend to become unshambled, and then he starts to complain about everything...

Well, I agree with most of you lads, a sweet and tender young hooligan would say he/she would never do it again, and again... But I don't think we have one of those on our hands. Of course, there is those who can't handle this pressure of press, audience, judging, and the idea of taking time for change, so, it would seem in the split second of anxiety, someone would be pushed to do such a thing as taking out the judge, or hanging the blessed DJ, if there was one in their path. Anyways, it is too soon, and like our Frank, maybe we shouldn't be pulled so easily into twisting conversations by a few sweet, tender, young hooligans, though we may see some of their plight.

~ Moz, Marr and the lads (Ka)
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
We thought in the the beginning, that we're only in it for the money, but behold what has happened... Hungry freaks, Daddy!

But to the bussiness.

I see some countering threads of discussion here which both seem to have their justification. If we talk of tactics on Day1 it surely gives a hiding place for the wolves toDay but then again it binds their hands on days to come! If they say something toDay and act differently on the Days to come, we will see it! I mean, any way the wind blows, there are signs of consistency and signs of playing the opportunistic way. These can be seen! The forefathers of our band have seen this all too clearly when they have been forced to go with the dark side, you know, the son of the monster magnet & stuff. Remember: the one who has lied is bound to stay consistent with the lie and the situations may turn very nasty with the liar if s/he wishes to sustain her/his believability. We can observe all this...

So there are more pro's than con's with having a public debate of our conduct, but I think the good outweight the bad. Partly because of the following.

Laying low, or just hunkering down, does not help anyone with a pure soul. Anyone can do that: just post a bit of nonsense or wail the fate of Sleepy and then fall silent.

It might help those who are not interested in the common good but only for themselves (see the citation of Franklin by Folwren above) or the wolves! Who would vote someone on the basis of a little meaningless message on the first Day? No one! We all think there are so many better reasons to lynch someone else (mainly a good-willing innocent who has tried to make a difference by making some actual points). That's just the way the wolves would like it to be and within which they would like to hide themselves...

Yeah, I have said this a many times, but I think I need to recapitulate it here. No, I don't think all the baddies are silent. Not at all! I've seen many a loud and dominating wolves in my family's history. I think the Seer should check them (there may be games when the Seer should take on with other tactics, depending of the personality of the Seer and the way the discussion is bent to, but as a general rule I think this holds) .

What I want to say is that the silence is the best hiding place for a wolf during the first Days and the best excuse for the wolves going after a loud innocent who could be of help later... The dynamics of the game are different on the first Days with little to go for than on the subsequent ones when there is something to take hold on!

So at least my band will concentrate toDay with all those Wovie Zowies that try to slip comfortably under the radar - and to the slips they might make.

That makes me to look at both Durelin and Glirdan more close so far. But surely it's early and lots of things will happen before the deadline.

But now we'll have to go and practise for awhile, because our band leader doesn't like it if we do nor reach his requirements. There's trouble every day with him...

EDIT: X-performed with Rune and The Ka
EDIT2: Adding Rune and the Ka to my list of "follow these"...

Last edited by Nogrod; 09-28-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #21
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Back from studying my scores.

It seems to me that avoiding strategic discussion hurts the village more than the wolves. All we have to go on is strategy and open debate. We could all invent hidden strategies on work on independently, but then we aren't making the most of team work, which, in my personal opinion, we need to have to win as a village. Maybe day 1 chaos to early to work on being a team. But then again, odd behavior can manifest enough on day 1 to catch a wolf, if we're all talking and paying attention. The wolves can meet in secret to plot, and regardless of what we do, can work on using our strategy (or lack thereof) against us.

*shrugs*

I'll be around a little longer.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #22
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I don't think anybody said we should not talk tactics, it was more that we should not agree on a way to do things that would enable the wolves to manipulate us.

I still have no clue what to say or do.

Old 09-28-2006, 07:22 PM   #23
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Well. . .it seems it would be wisest to plan some sort of procedure, and yet. . .when it comes down to it, how can a group plan something against hidden foes? What if we all plan some sort of strategy and one of the most involved planner is guilty himself? (Or herself.)

Why the crazy and random vote the THE Ka, Durelin? I really dislike random votes like that, but it makes me think that. . . that a wolf wouldn't do it. I don't know why I think it. But, why'd you vote for her?

Must go. May be back again this evening. . .

-- Folwren
Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 PM   #24
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I'd thought Menel suggested laying out how to find wolves, and Boro had said that doing that would let the wolves use that info against us.

My take is that listing the precise characteristics of what makes or does not make a wolf is probably a shaky idea. But not discussing tactics is also a bad idea. I'm going to try to strike a middle ground.

Any red flags I spot will be raised in retrospect so the monsters can't hide by having advance warning. In fact, I probably won't know what those flags are until I see them, being something of a gut feeling that leads to building a case person.

Last edited by Celuien; 09-28-2006 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Crossed with Folwren
Celuien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:54 PM   #25
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well, Menel's post (#16) sounds reasonable to me. Especailly the bit about not stepping on his blue suede shoes. Who would do something like that? Undoubtalby, only a wolf. Something to keep an eye out for...

Seriously though, there is that percistent problem. "Evidence" in werewolf games, almost always (expluding, of course, a seer dream) boils down to biases and assumptions - basically gut fealings. While those are certainly not bad, it takes me awhile to get a gut fealing of someone. Yes, of course this is werewolf, were the fur should fly, and the lynchings come often, but I do hate to see an innocent die. So I am always reluctant to throw in my lot with someone until I feal something about them. So basically what I'm trying to say is I'm gonna have to give this some time, for people to build up a track record.

And of course, I'm not nay-saying at all. On the contrary, were will my records come from, if not your debates?

And one last thing: while I do appreciate the validity of the loud wolf/silent wolf theorists, I don't put much stock there. You can never predict the wolf demographics....

I'll be on a while longer...
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #26
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
Well, I am here and I must leave. (OOC - Like I said, RL stuff [parents kicking me off the computer, school]). But before I do, I will cast a vote and I will say now that it is mostly random because I have no serious suspicions. But my vote will be for

++Durelin

Because of the random vote for Ka. Honestly, that was probably the most random vote I have ever seen and it just doesn't sit right with me.

May we have the luck to find one of those Wolves and avenge Cowell.
Glirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #27
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Ok I am off from tonight, I should be back in good time before the deadline (5 hours or so). I shall wait untill then before making random or non-random acusations. I might add that Glirdan have have given me some things to think about in his last post.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #28
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
I'd thought Menel suggested laying out how to find wolves, and Boro had said that doing that would let the wolves use that info against us.~Celuien
Perhaps it was a bit confusing, but Rune put my words better than myself...odd, huh?
Quote:
I don't think anybody said we should not talk tactics, it was more that we should not agree on a way to do things that would enable the wolves to manipulate us.
Let me give you this poker analogy, you don't want your opponent to know your plan, or how you are playing. Beacuse, if they do you are too easy to predict and the other players and they will make you pay for it. I find Werewolf to be the same, I don't want the wolves knowing my mind, so I won't say what I find to be wolvish. Now, if something does look wolvish to me, I'm going to jump out and say so, but I won't discuss what I'm looking for in order to find wolves.

I agree with Rune, if we all collaborate and set out what we think wolves would do, then they will make us pay for it. It will make our moves too predictable.

Quote:
And one last thing: while I do appreciate the validity of the loud wolf/silent wolf theorists, I don't put much stock there. You can never predict the wolf demographics....~Eonwe
That's the thing. Menel does make sense with that assumption, as that tends to be the pattern with most wolves. Problem is if we go with this assumption the wolves will go with a different strategy to play to our liking.

Before I go off to bed here, just some general comments about people so far.

I agree with Folwren's thoughts about Durelin. I don't like randomness, it doesn't serve any help to us. However, I never understand why people find the first random voter of the day to be a wolf.

Which leads me to Glirdan, who is making me wonder a bit.
Quote:
But before I do, I will cast a vote and I will say now that it is mostly random because I have no serious suspicions. But my vote will be for

++Durelin

Because of the random vote for Ka (bold-my emphasis)
Let me get this straight Glirdan...you go after Durelin because of the random vote for Ka, but you yourself cast a 'random' vote for Durelin?Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Menel, Eonwe, Folwren and Rune all seem sensible so far. I don't see any reason to think they are wolves.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #29
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Gah, I wish I could stay longer, but due to RL circumstances (transportation, educational, family responsibilities,ect...), I will have to vote now or I'll be late, and that is just annoying for others and myself.

I'm not voting for Durelin, because of rather obvious reasons... Robert Smith vs. Morrissey, it's a conflict as natural to the art of music if there ever was, and not worth my vote because it would be a waste, and spoil the running joke.

Anyways, I will not vote for those who have not shown up yet to our potluck of first-day hypothesises, because it wouldn't make sense as well. Since I have to leave now, well before the deadline, or the last split second before deadline to have the last remaining to post then. In short, another waste.

The only vote that has any reason on a first-day basis (if there is anything of actual reason in a first day... ), that I might have to make is for Volo. I understand if they had to leave for RL reasons, I respect that, though they did post twice.
There is another reason besides this, that they seem to have too many hands out shaking other hands, or it looks a bit hasty how they made their conclusions so early.
Unfortunately, there never is anything for reason, or slight reason at that on the first day, but the haste and quick conclusions seems a little bit suspicious. I do not have anything definate in marble, or close at that, until later.

++Volo
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:34 AM   #30
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Unfortunate for Sleepy to die such a grusome death, but it had to happen sooner or later., the man made enemies right and left. I'm just surprise that it was Werewolves and not one of the many talentless yet angry hacks he's eviscerated over the years. Death's funny that way.

Oh well, he called my band delightful, bless him. We were so happy to be invited to this event. Unfortunately the boys ran off with everyone else and left me all by myself with just a fiddle to fend off a pack of werewolves. Nice. Real nice.

As far as discussion goes... does anyone here actually have some stupendous out of the ordinary plan for taking on the wolves? *looks around* Yes/no? This is a fairly basic game, there's the Mytho but s/he won't be mixing things up till Day 2 so for now s/he is a non-factor. So, I mean, aren't we all going to just do what we normally do on Day 1's? Seems so, from the look of things so far. You've got your loud vs quiet points made, then there's the let's-discuss-tactics-no-let's-not-what-are-we-talking-about-anyway debate, add a little incharacter interaction, some early random votes, and a partridge in a pear tree with cinnamon for flavor. I think I'll strangle the partidge with a fiddle string and roast it for dinner though, so that takes care of that.

I'll be around closer to deadline, so luckily I don't have to vote too terribly early, for once. I can't promise I'll have a really good reason for whoever I end up voting for, but I should be able to base it on something other than character or what have you.

For now, it seems to me that the people who've voted so far, and voted fairly randomly, had no choice but to do so. So those of us who have the luxury of waiting around and reading more posts shouldn't really be getting our undies in a bunch over the level of random in each vote. In other words, I don't think Durelin or Glirdan are particularly good lynch candidates. In fact Glirdan's vote wasn't even random, it was just based on extremely thin reasoning. But then, hello, Day 1, early.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #31
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hello and good morning, fellow bands and singers. Or should I say mourning? Sleepy is gone and we are left, soon to be gone as well, if we don't watch our path - and our fellows.

I couldn't have put it better than Di. This is an extremely Day-One-ish Day One so far. The only thing missing would be someone claiming to hate Day-Ones. Would one of the wolves please act foolish so that we can spot him/her? No? A pity...

I don't have anything more to add right now. Discussing tactics is nice, but since never ever all of us will agree on one, it pretty much leads nowhere.
So, no one seems wolfish to me at this early point. Hope that will change. See ya!
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:57 AM   #32
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Alas for poor Sleepy Cowell. He was surely not the nicest person on earth but didn't deserve death.

*a mourning song with a didgeridoo*

Folwren's first post caught my attention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
And don't try to derive any strange and twisted meaning out of this first post be cause there isn't any.
Hmmm? Weirdly said, made me wary of her... Somehow over-defensive maybe? But she's been making sense otherwise, so maybe I'm just imagining things. (A wolf can make sense and sound convincing too, though, it has been proved in a few games...) I don't know what to think of her, but I guess that I won't be voting her today (she contributes), but I'll keep an eye on her, at least before she explains that statement of hers.

Glirdy certainly flip-flops, but I of all people won't be accusing him for it. After all, if one tries to make a reasonable vote on Day One before even a half of the day has passed the result is most probably that the reasoning is quite weak and thus the vote is quite "random". A weakly reasoning-based vote is however very different from a random one that has no reason - even a weak one - behind it at all (like Durelin's). Hopefully that made sense. I don't see Glirdan or Durelin as very suspicious ones (Durelin, as far as I know, plays normally like that) though certainly not as sure innocents either ie their behaviour gives me no clue of their roles.

That's all I have to say right now, except I could echo Mac that no one seems particularly suspicious.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:02 AM   #33
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
Would one of the wolves please act foolish so that we can spot him/her? No? A pity...
Well, we just might have something in here, Mother people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glirdan
I will cast a vote and I will say now that it is mostly random because I have no serious suspicions. But my vote will be for
++Durelin
Because of the random vote for Ka.
Generally contradiction points towards lycantrophy. This is not even a bad contradiction, for it has been mellowed down with the "mostly".

But the contradiction as such is not the only reason for me to think about smelling a rat here. What I mean is.

Firstly. An innocent knows exactly why s/he is giving the vote and has no reason to hide it, be it an unsecure reasoning, a hunch or random or whatever. Moreover, early on Day1 there should be nothing tense in an innocents life so no reason to mess up with things.

Secondly. Wolves tend to make more mistakes or fumbles than innocents. This is totally understandable as the situation is tricky indeed, for unlike innocents, the wolves know the status of the one they vote. So every vote in that sense must be faked in a way or another. That it always harder than plainly saying what one thinks actually.

Thirdly. Two earlier points lead to wolves tending to over-act, trying to oversecure their "looking innocent" -image in front of their wolvery. And that's just what one could see Glirdy doing here.

As he can not say, that "as a wolf I will vote for this one innocent", so he must say something of the vote that is not true but which should sound innocent. But as a wolf is always a bit nervous, thinking constantly how s/he looks and how has s/he covered the tracks, it's easy to overdo it and actually defend one's (false) vote with two points that contradict one another.

Of the innocents only one with a very confused mind could do something like that, claiming to vote mostly random but still having a reason for the vote. But a wolf might just fumble this way.

Not much of a case, I admit. But the best I can make at the hour.

I'll be back later and hope to have something better that time.

EDIT: X-ed with Lommy
Old 09-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #34
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

I really think that Glirdan is just being Glirdan. Equally, I think Durelin is being Durelin.

And I'm yet another who thinks that no one is looking particularly suspect right now.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 AM   #35
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

White Tree

I'm not too sure about Celuien myself. From what she said yesterday, she mainly repeats what was said and then says she will be going for the middle ground. I don't really find that extremely suspicious but something doesn't sit right...

(Meneltarmacil has left the building...but will return in a few hours.)
Old 09-29-2006, 06:15 AM   #36
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay, time for me to leave and vote.
I changed my mind about voting

++Folwren

She's over-careful. Besides the quote I provided earlier, this caught my eye too while rereading:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
I'm going to quote Boromir not because I'm accusing him or anything, but to make things more conveniently looked up.
I don't really suspect her, but she seems the most suspicious this far.

Nogrod's attack on Glirdan was a bit too aggressive and not very well-based (he must know Glirdy's style and besides, IMO Glirdy's behaviour is not that suspicious anyways - he uses the word 'random' in two different meanings in his post and that causes confusion, or that is how I see the matter) for my taste, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

Diamond didn't start with cuddly in-character bantering? I'm not sure what to make of this either, but it's nice to see her starting serious discussion this early.

Eonwe and Menel feel both pretty innocent to me at this early phase. (My opinion of Eonwe might not be very objective though since I'm so glad to see him return to a less-nonsensical playing style... ) Menel's playing style is quite different from the last time I played with him (he was a wolf then). Of course, he can have learned avoiding wolvish slips from his latest game, but I'm inclined still to believe him innocent.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Mac is raising my attention now. He comes in posts that he agrees with Diamond and says this has been a very 'Day-one-ish Day one' so far. What did you expect it to be like? Just seems something's off from the Mac my ancestors were used to. Maybe it's just early, but Mac is usually one of those solid innocents that is willing to help. Now, I don't get that same feeling, just seems like he's commenting about how ordinary this Day 1 has been and we won't all agree on the same strategy, so discussing one will not benefit us.

I need more time to consider some of this, I must be off.

Edit: x-posted with Thinlomien
Old 09-29-2006, 06:22 AM   #38
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Something Crazy just happened, I just got a call. . So I have to go for a job inteview now !

That means I cannot give you the long and elaborate post that would revial all the Wolves, darn.

++Macalaure

For retty much just saying what Di said and nothing more.

Edit: X posted with Boro

Last edited by Rune Son of Bjarne; 09-29-2006 at 06:24 AM. Reason: X posted with Boro
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 AM   #39
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Preliminary thoughts about five hours before the deadline, subject to chance as the bands get to play more.

Menelteramacil and Boromir88 have been engaging in most honest sounding discussion. Some mighty wonders are needed to make me vote for either toDay.

Rune and Folwren have participated in the same discussion with points but more in a following role. Same holds especially to Celuien. That might be an ideal position for a wolf to hide in? But without further points against any one of them I'm not going to vote any of them toDay as I see them all as valuable asssets as innocents.

From Macalaure, Diamond18 and Thinlomien I would really like to hear more...

THE Ka I really can't say anything about.

Eonwe has been more vocal and non-random as earlier generation-Eonwes. What to make of it?

Volo feels a bit awkward. The Ka had a point in her vote: too many handshakes as to make friends from the very first moments? Or just wishing well when having nothing else to say?

Glirdan and Durelin have surely acted strangely and somewhat "non-productively", but as some people have suggested, they might just be themselves...

So if Glirdan and Durelin are not the wolves (which I think likely), then the wolves play pretty well. Too bad for us.

Back to the band training and giving all this some further thought...

EDIT: X-ed with a lot...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #40
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Short on time...

++ Volo

I feel like I just can't get a read on the posts, which makes me uncomfortable.

*off to work*