Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #481
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nerindel

Your pms are full. (So were mine!)

Cami
Old 10-09-2004, 04:29 PM   #482
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

ok my pm's are now cleared.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:15 PM   #483
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
My Post at Last!

Okay, here's my post... finally! Please place it in #296, immediately following Hilde's post. Thanks!

If anyone needs me to change anything, please let me know, including my references to the Dreamtime and Guardians of the Dreamtime. The Dreamtime is a very aboriginal concept and, while it seemed very apt to me, may not fit with the maenwaith culture as others see it. I will be happy to edit it out if needs be!

Fador & the Elders

Maintaining his silence, Fador watched as Mumtaz shook his head. "While we have always put great trust in guidance that comes to us from the Dreamtime," said Mumtaz, choosing his words carefully as he addressed the assembly. "How do we know that this is even a real city that Sorona speaks of? For all we know, this city and the shadow alike could be merely symbolic. Or memory intertwined with fear."

The eagle shook her head. A touch of frustration, almost desperation, crept into her voice as she replied: "It is not memory or fear. It is a warning. I beg that you heed it."

Barakah nodded sagely. "A warning from the Dreamtime should never be taken lightly, Mumtaz. If Sorona says that it is a warning, then I am inclined to believe her.” The white-haired woman glanced around the troubled faces of the assembly, her gaze finally settling on Narika’s fair countenance. “We have seen the signs of approaching evil already in the slaying of our beloved Ayar. While I have no proof, I believe Wyrma and her city somehow to be behind it. We must flee into the deep desert to save ourselves and all that we hold dear.” Her gaze slid smoothly over to catch the eyes of Thorn, who nodded his understanding, though he did not speak either in support of her or against her.

“And leave the other clans to fall subject to Wyrma’s machinations?” asked Fador. “We saw what happened to the Wolf clan when we did not go to their assistance at the time of the Haradrim raids. Shall we flee again and leave the others to their fates?”

Across from him, the eagle’s feathers ruffled tensely.

Dakarai frowned through his beard. “You know that is not what Barakah proposes. I think she means that all of those who oppose Wyrma’s city should move quickly out of her reach.”

“Her reach is very long,” said Fador. “She has already demonstrated that much, if she is indeed behind the slaying of Ayar. If that is the case, then how far should we flee? And for how long? If she is truly behind this evil, she will hunt us. We cannot hide forever.”

“Yet we should not rush into war,” said Barakah. “Nor should we embrace a city that would be nothing more than a prison to us. No, what I propose is that we flee deeper into the desert for the moment, only until we can determine what is really happening and who our allies are. When we know these things, only then can we take the proper action to avoid the horrors of Sorona‘s vision.”

“How do we determine who our allies even are?” demanded Mumtaz.

“Perhaps we should not flee,” said Harith. “Perhaps we should stay and send outriders to the other clans, see what they think of this city, if any of their people have had visions. If this thing is really so evil, why should a vision come only to Sorona? Surely the Guardians of the Dreamtime would warn more than just one.”

Fador nodded. “Elder Harith speaks wisely. What I propose is this: We concentrate now on bidding farewell to our dead and seeing that the marriage of Thorn and Narika takes place as planned.” He looked from face to face.

“Each of us,” he said, “Goes from this place to think and mull over Sorona’s warnings separately. We will see what the Guardians of the Dreamtime have to tell us separately, if anything. Then, in three day’s time, when we meet again to pass the mantle of leadership from Ayar to Narika and Thorn, we will decide what action to take. We will decide then how to determine our allies and whether we stay or flee. Agreed?”

A general murmur of agreement rippled through the tent as the elders, the two young leaders, and Sorona all stirred to depart. Spreading her wings, Sorona hopped to where Fador stood.

“Do not take these warnings lightly. I beg you,” she said softly. “The danger is dire and it is growing.”

Fador gave her a considering stare, then smiled gravely. “I take nothing lightly,” he reassured her. While he lent his voice a comforting tone, Fador’s thoughts were anything but comfortable. He indeed took nothing lightly, the eagle’s warning least lightly of all, but not for the reasons he would have the others believe. Already his mind whirled, trying to determine how he might turn the eagle’s dream and the accompanying fear to his own advantage. It was not something he had planned on having to deal with, but surely he could find some angle, some advantage hidden therein.

The eagle hesitated for a brief instant, then folded her wings. “It is all I can ask,” she said with something almost akin to resignation.

Fador nodded and watched as she moved away, wondering if she knew something more or if she had shared with them all that there was to share. Only time would tell.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:10 AM   #484
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

Ealasaide

Post placed in slot 297!

~*~ Pio

Last edited by piosenniel; 10-11-2004 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:51 AM   #485
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thankee, Pio!

I will be away from the computer for most of today as I have jury duty, but have high hopes of getting my other Save filled by tomorrow sometime... if I don't get picked for a jury!
Old 10-11-2004, 06:09 AM   #486
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Just in case you're wondering, I'm still here! I'm following the current sub-plot with interest, but feel that it's complicated enough without any interruptions by Wyrma - fortunately for me, as a big, real life creative project is taking quite a bit of my creative energy at the moment. Also, I'm waiting for an appropriate moment for a new Tinar post - as the three young men aren't moving at the moment, there's not much for him to do. I have further developments planned, but for them to take place, Tinar needs to get going in the direction of 'Maenwaith City'.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying reading all of your posts!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Old 10-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #487
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I'm here too. I have, at last, filled in my save at post 292. Sorry for the delay.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:44 AM   #488
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Hi, hi! My civic duty has been done - verdict was guilty - and my Save #301 has been filled.

Mith - I have no idea what Mithadan wanted to speak with Aiwendil about, presumably just to continue the conversation from the evening before, but I can change that if needs be. Mostly I just needed someplace for the Gondorians to go! Please feel free to run with it if you like. It won't cross me up.

Child - Likewise, I have no idea where Ailwendil might have gotten off to. For my post to work, I needed him to be away from his tent, but I can change things around if this disrupts anything you were working on.

EDIT:
Well, if I would read a little more closely, I would know exactly why Aiwendil was not in his tent!
Quote:
His cloak lay tossed on the floor, his dinner untouched and forgotten, as he left the tent and went off in search of Ráma.
Never mind, Child!

Last edited by Ealasaide; 10-14-2004 at 07:27 AM.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #489
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Er, uh...I have a post ready for day 2 of the funeral, but don't know if I should just hold on to it , post it here or on the story thread. Could have sworn there was a spot on the story thread reseved but can't seem to find it now.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:48 PM   #490
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1.) Elders' meeting (DONE)

2.) Sorona shares her vision (DONE)

3.) Elders react (DONE)

4.) Those outside the meeting react (DOES ANYONE STILL NEED THIS? PUT A POST ON THE DISCUSSION THREAD - I'LL MOVE IT TO #297 ON THE GAME)

5.) Individual evening posts of Day 1 -- One of the things Child wants to do is to hook Ráma up with Aiwendil (SAVE IN PLACE FOR AIWENDIL/RAMA) * (ANY OTHERS NEED TO PLACE A DAY 1 POST? -- PUT IT HERE ON THE DISCUSSION THREAD)

6.) Rog leaves at the end of Day 1. (DONE)

~*~

*** FLASHING LIGHT *** -- We are now here:

7.) Summary post for day 2 following the outline for the funeral (Hilde?)

8.) Summary post for day three following the outline for the funeral (Child?)

9.) Day four will be individual posts that tie up the funeral and set the scene for coming action and conflicts, e.g., Rama talking with her sister privately about what Ayar said, preparations for the wedding and the official naming of the new leaders....

10.) Day 5 would be individual posts for the wedding and naming

11.) Day 6 would be the BIG meeting of the Elders where everyone is screaming at each other, Rama is officially declared a lunatic when rumors of what her mother said slips out, and we finally decide what we are going to do for the rest of the game

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hilde

As the story line stands on the game at present - we are at #6 - which should just about wrap up DAY 1.

You're up with #7! Go ahead and post it to the Game!

~*~ Pio
Old 10-18-2004, 03:45 AM   #491
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Is that alright with everyone? Or did we want to include a bit of what happened out at ye old bier on the first night?
Old 10-18-2004, 09:07 AM   #492
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Nerindel & I have one more brief interaction that needs to take place on the evening of the first day. I will be writing a post for Fador to set it up, which I will place at the end of my post for Airefalas. It will not deal very closely with the events around the bier, however.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:09 AM   #493
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

So Ealasaide, shall I hang on to this post for a wee while longer, or do you want to included both sides of the interaction in Airefalas block?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:55 AM   #494
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Thumbs up

Hilde - I've thrown in a Save for the Fador/Hasrim interaction. Please feel free to go ahead & place your Day 2 post.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:07 PM   #495
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Thanks Miss Ealasaide, day two is now on board.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #496
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As if I have not already been busy (and remiss in posting) due to work and Red Sox (fan since 1967) I will be unavailable through Monday due to business travel. I hope to be more active when I return.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:18 PM   #497
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Sorry my Save for Fador has been languishing! I have been having to deal with some RL setbacks this week that have chewed up a good bit of my writing time.

I will do my best to have my Save filled sometime tomorrow, but if I miss, I'm afraid it will be Monday again before I will have any time to write as I will be away vending at a Pow-wow all weekend: outside in a tent - no computer access.

EDIT: Ah, glory be! I got it done tonight. Okay, Nerindel, you are all set to proceed with Hasrim. Sorry for the delays!

Last edited by Ealasaide; 11-03-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:31 PM   #498
Child of the 7th Age

I just wanted to say I am sorry for being such a laggard of late.

My daughter's bat mitzvah is in two weeks and, with that, plus other normal hassles, I have found free time very scarce. (I have tacked up a large sign in front of my house saying that no one will be admitted except on party business!)

There's never a dull moment. My daughter goes in tomorrow for oral surgery: four extractions and multiple repairs that could not be delayed. So mom will be pacing the floor until the anesthesia wears off.

As soon as my last relative departs on November 22, I am hoping to settle down again to writing. I filled in half of my one save: Rama and Aiwendil. I plan to finish the post in the next few days.

If anyone needs to "borrow"any of my characters, you are welcome to do so. Just let me know on the thread or by pm.

Mithadan, I never got a chance to say congrats about the Sox victory. Some people have all the luck.

Still in mourning for the Astros.....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-05-2004 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:31 AM   #499
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Thumbs up

Hey hey hey I am finally back! and come bearing gifts... well posts at least

Ok first is Korpulfrs post which I thing needs to go before Ealasaide's post #303

Korpulfr

It was quite late in the afternoon when Korpulfr finally awoke. Slowly opening his eyes he rose a dusty hand to shield against the glare of the westerning sun. Turning his head he saw the lean form of Tinar tending the dusty gelding he and Hasrim had conscientiously thought to bring for the young wyrmling, two more horses, packed and saddled stood nearby under the cool shade of the rocky overhang. The first a sand coloured gelding was his own mount and the other was the tan steed that Hasrim rode, looking around he suddenly became aware that his cousin was nowhere to be seen. Brushing the fine layer of sand that covered him from head to toe, he rose and headed towards his young friend.

“Any to spare for a parched friend?” he asked jovially seeing that the young Meanwaith was watering the horses.

Tinar’s head turned to greet him with a broad smile, “So you’ve finally decided to join us, I was beginning to think you would sleep the whole day away,” the young man laughed handing him the half filled water skin.

He drank deeply wetting his dry cracked lips, “Where’s Hasrim, you haven’t talked him to death have you?” he grinned handing the skin back to his young companion.

“Talk! I don‘t think he would have heard me even if I did?” Tinar said cocking a bemused eyebrow, “he spent most of the morning deep in thought, muttering to himself as he packed his own and your mount, then a few hours ago he said he was going out to look for fresh water and to scout out the desert movement, movement! I ask you for days I’ve see nothing out here but the sea of sand.” he continued shaking his head.

Kor laughed clapping Tinar on the shoulder, “Ha my friend that’s my cousins way, always thinking ahead and if he was here I am sure he would now be giving you a quick lecture on the unseen dangers of the desert.”

“Then I am glad he is not here,” the young man laughed jovially.

As they waited Hasrim’s return the two men finished making preparations to leave and enjoyed a cold supper of flat bread and salted pork, the conversation remained light and cheery like two young friends simply enjoying each others company with no political or outside influence at work, but as the sun began to sink below the western horizon the talk turned again to the matters at hand and the barely perceivable guardedness of each man returned.

“You must make sure your mother hears of the death of the eagle leader and the arrival of the northerners to their camp, it may all be coincidental but let her know that I will remain to make sure!” Kor said turning to look the young man squarely in the eyes. Tinar paused for a moment then nodded and as Kor turned away the young man asked him if he had any message for his father.

“Just let him know that I am fine and know what I am doing.” he answered after a moments contemplation. Tinar frowned not understanding and Kor shook his head and explained, “He has his grievances with the eagle clan, he still holds them someway responsible for my mothers death and won’t be please to heard that I am here!” he sighed wearily.

“And you?” Tinar asked cautiously, “Do you too think they are at fault?”

“hmm I don’t know… maybe they could have helped or maybe not I really don’t know it all happened so fast… I… only re…..” with a shake of his head Korpulfr stopped talking and got up and began to walk away.

“Where is that cousin of mine it is time we where away from here before we are discovered by outriders!” he said decisively changing the subject and looking out into the distant darkening horizon. But he could not hide from the memory that haunted him, clinging to the branches and safety of the trees as his mother was hauled off dying by the crimson warriors, he swore to himself not long after that day that never again would he hide from those who would attack his people, he would be strong, but still he felt like he had not upheld that promise, hiding in the city of his enemy at the insistence of the very people he wished to protect. With a heavy sigh he walked up to the sandy gelding and lightly scratching the animals ear he re-checked the straps adjusting his pack and the saddle baskets that carried the goods for trade, while he waited for his cousins return.

And second is Hasrims post which needs to come after Ealasaide post #303

Hasrim

The quiet sound of leathery wings flapping against the cool evening air echoed in small furry ears as a small heart drummed with each exuberant beat, the ears twitched as the sound of raised voices whispered on the light winds of the Haradwaith desert, murmuring of sadness and of loss. But as the small desert bat drew closer, the sadness melted away to joy and praise bringing a dark and menacing scowl to the creatures dark features. Small beady eyes that should see very little, infact carefully scanned the horizon as the lightly billowing tents of the Eagle encampment drew steadily closer, carefully flying between the many tents avoiding the gaze of the sullen but vigilant outriders and guards the small bat looked for a familiar face.

The actual camp was strangely still, with nearly all the clan gathered at the brier of their fallen leader only the stragglers and those chosen to keep guard still remained, so he flew on following the voices cringing as they praised the wisdom and kindness of their fallen leader. Wisdom! Too live in the past and remain victims of the power and greed of others pfft…. But off course the eagles were never victims, they ran and hid while others died and suffered at the hands of the Haradrim and their dark master! feelings of great hatred and bitterness suddenly filled the small creatures mind and it struggled to hold on to the image at the forefront of it’s mind the one that kept him in the air unrecognised and unnoticed, he perched in a nearby tree and took a deep steadying breath, pulling the image forward once more, reminding himself of the purpose of this visit. Looking out from between the leaves he saw a familiar figure rise and move away from the others. With a wry grin the small bat again leaped into the air following discreetly the dark robed figure.

He stopping to watch as the robed figure hesitated at the edge of the camp, silently witnessing the older mans grim smile as he gazed up at the darkening sky in contemplative thought, but the small bat was forced to move quickly as the robed figure briefly glanced back towards the funeral brier of the woman he had helped to murder! Irony twisted the bats lips into a sly and cruel grin as he wondered if old fool was having doubts or regrets, for he knew it was already too late for the old eagle! for if it was discovered that he was in any way responsible for the death of his leader he would most certainly be cast out if not worse! But to betray Wyrma or her allies would be an even greater folly he had now witnessed how easily and deadly the old Wyrm could strike! As the figure walked on he followed, then when the camp was firmly out of sight he choose to speak.

“The wind whispers of ill tidings a great eagle has fallen and it’s clan stands leaderless!” He squeaked coming close to the Elders ear .

The figure stopped but did not turn, “The winds do indeed speak the truth, but not for long do the eagles remain flightless and without leadership!”

Flying around to come before the older man the bat let go of it’s current form to reveal the middle aged Wolf clan warrior. “Greetings to you Fador, wolf friend!” he said with the customary hand to forehead gesture of his clan his eyes firmly fixed on the older man revealing neither true hostility nor friendship, this man may have his uncles trust but he would reserve that judgement for himself.

Thanks!

Esty - I also have a post for Halfr I would like you to browse through before I post I will pm it to you and you can let me know what you think.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:36 AM   #500
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Silmaril

oops nearly forgot I have also finally finnished Sorona's bio

Name: Sorona

Race: Maenwaith

Weapons: Sorona carries no other weapons but her talons and a razor sharp beak that can do considerable damage if necessary.

Appearance: Sorona takes the form of a beautiful golden eagle, dark brown with a soft wash of golden feathers over her head and down her neck. Her large round eyes are a sharp but warm gold-flecked brown and she boasts a wingspan of nearly 7ft.

It has been about 18 years since Sorona last took her mannish form and then she was a slender 5ft 6" with a warm coppery olive complexion. Thick dark brown curls cascaded down her back and her eyes were a rich chocolaty brown, flecked indiscriminately with gold that conveyed great warmth and wisdom.

However, with the passage of time; her appearance will have changed somewhat. Her face and body will have aged with the passage of time, her coppery complexion paled through lack of exposure to the elements. The warmth of her eyes lost to fear and sorrow and her dark curls streaked white from the fear of the things she has seen and been forced to do during her servitude and imprisonment in Mordor. Sorona's body is also marred with many scars, reminders of the numerous beatings inflicted upon her during her stay in the darklands.

Personality: Sorona was once a sweet, caring, kind young woman. A free spirit among her people and even although her open-mindedness was always a cause for concern among the elders of her clan, she was still well liked and respected. She always looked for the best in people and had a great love and respect for the knowledge the Storytellers and elders had to share.

But now she is withdrawn and filled deeply with sorrow and guilt, her curiosity and thirst for knowledge still remain , but her openness is now marred with fear and doubt. The traumatic experiences in her life have caused her to block out and forget most of her past in an attempt to put behind her the horrors of her imprisonment and the tragic events that lead to her escape.

Sorona's main strength is her ability to listen and her extensive knowledge. Her main weaknesses is her lack of faith in herself and her inability to take any other form than the one she now holds.

History: Sorona was born to the eagle clan her mother died when she was still very young, so with the help and support of the clan her father looked after and raised her as best he could. Growing up Sorona had many friends but the strongest of these friendships was with her Cousin Ayar, the two girls were roughly the same age and barely separable they both studied under her father (Thoronda) the traditions and lore of their clan and while her more sure headed cousin took in all they were taught, Sorona strayed more towards lore, becoming enthralled by the Storytellers and their tales. Oft she would confide to her cousin her dream of one day being the one that the young and old alike gathered round, listening wide eyed to the tales and lore of their people. More and more was the time she spend with the storytellers debating and quizzing the deeper meanings of their tales, gaining what wisdom she could from them.

The tellers humoured and even encouraged her eagerness and inquisitive nature, but the elders of her clan (her father included) became concerned that her thirst may one day overwhelm or consume her, so for a time they sent her with the outriders and the herders to learn the more traditional skills that keep the clan thriving year after year. Reluctantly she went and with time she did come to understand the importance of such things, she learnt almost as much from them as she did from the elders, she enjoyed their company and got satisfaction from knowing that by helping them in their chores she helped not only them but the clan as a whole. She still missed the teachings of the Wise ones, but learnt that ensuring the clans future was every part as important as remembering it’s past and her cousin made the long nights tending the herds easier by keeping her company and sharing with her any new tales told by the tellers.

The eagle daughter as she was oft affectionately called learned well, grew in beauty and came to love her people and their ways very deeply, so deeply that for a long while she knew no other place she would rather be. But Sorona had a free spirit and spoke always from her heart and many worried her seemingly unquenchable thirst for knowledge would eventually lead her astray! So it came after a time she became restless and often she would travel with the traders of her clan to seek the lore masters of the desert tribes and other maenwaith clans to feed her appetite and learn more of the world and in particularly the history of the maenwaith people. It was on one such journey when she and her kinsmen suddenly found themselves caught in a sudden sandstorm, her horse spooked by the whipping sands suddenly bolted and although she tried hard to hold on she could not control the terrified beast and was eventually thrown from the saddle but not before she was separated from her kinsmen. As the winds abated she called out the names of her kinsmen in the hopes that they were somewhere nearby but alas no reply was heard and she knew she was alone with no water and no idea in which direction she had come! All she knew was that she could not stay were she was. It was getting hotter , she needed to find shade and wait till nightfall when she was sure the stars would guide her back to her people. But as she looked around all she could see was the vast sandy expanse of the desert in every direction, even the sun had made her peak so that guessing east and west was made impossible. For several hours she wandered aimlessly in search of water and shade before she finally passed out. She did not know how long she had been unconscious when she awoke to see a young mans face at first she thought it was a mirage till she felt cool water on her dry blistered lips and his strong arms lifted her up, she saw his lips moving before she slipped again into unconsciousness.

When she next opened her eyes she was looking up at the pale canvas of a small tent, “ah you are finally awake” a deep but soft voice whispered beside her and she turned to see the smiling face of the same young man who had saved her in the desert. She began coughing dryly as she tried to sit up to thank him, “No don’t try to talk just yet your throat will still be sore from the heat, here drink,” he said with genuine concern as he held a wooden cup to her lips she took it from his hands and began to drink the cooling water within. He watched her for a moment then telling her that she should get some more rest he turned to leave, but as he turned she reached and caught his hand, he turned and smiled with a nod as he understood the gratitude in her eyes.

It was several days before Sorona was again well enough to travel and in that time she had learned that her saviours name was Halfr and that he was the youngest son of the tribe leader a tribe that had been kind enough to nurse her back to health and to which she would always be grateful. She learned much of there ways but like her own people they were guard when she asked of their past and she soon came to wonder if these people where not also Maenwaith. He friendship with Halfr blossomed and the became quite close, the night before she was due to leave she took a big chance and confident in Halfr telling him of her clan and her maenwaith heritage, to her surprise Halfr already knew apparently during her fever she had assumed several different forms. Halfr and several other outriders of his clan escorted her home, to the adulation of her father and others of her clan.

When it came time for Half and his people to leave Sorona was filled with sadness, but Halfr promised to visit her again and he kept his word and both clans watched as they grew to be more than friends. Sorona often petitioned her father and the Elders to consider reviving old ties with the wolf clan as Halfr did with his father and elders so eventually a strong friendship was reached between the two tribes and Halfr and Sorona were married to celebrate the new friendship. Sorona often confided in Halfr her hopes that one day all the friendships of the elder days would be renewed and that all the squabbling and differences that divided their race would be forgotten.

They lived happily together, Sorona still though less often travelled with the traders of both clans when and were she could trying to help settle the differences among the clans and bring peace to the maenwaith people, several years later they were gifted with a baby boy who they named Korpulfr, meaning Raven wolf after his shock of raven coloured hair. But even while Korpulfr was still young dark times began to befall the maenwaith people and at the insistence of both her husband and her father she stopped travelling between the clans as it became dangerous to do so with the coming of the herewith raiders, the clans spread out as they attempted to avoid being found by the raiding parties but the wolf clan and the eagle clan stayed close. But tragedy fell one morning while the wolf clan hunters were out hunting for the winter ahead the haradrim struck and they struck fast. Sorona sent her cousin feya who was visiting back to warn the eagle clan, ordering her to tell them not come for them they would hid in the forest not far from the camp. Then spreading the word to the wolf maenwaith she picked up Korpulfr and ran to the safety of the forest. But the haradrim had horse and sought to separate them and bar their way many of them made it into the forest but the haradrim followed and eventually Sorona was separated from them, realising she was cornered she hid her son high in the branches of a tree and turned in wolf form to protect her son or at least lead them away! After being wounded she and many others were taken prisoner (mainly children) and taken to the dark and frightening lands of Mordor were their worst nightmares where finally realised!

Of all the Maenwaith that where captured Sorona was the only one to survive and escape. The events proceeding and during her escape were both traumatic and horrifying she was badly wounded and much of her memory of her life before Mordor was temporarily lost and she lost all will to live, but she was saved and she spent her life in the northlands studying the people and cultures of those lands trying hard to put behind her the guilt and pain of her time in darkness. She choose to observe life and took no part in it until she could bare it no more and helped a fishing town out of hardship.

Then she did something that was forbidden for men to do she sought to look on the lands rumoured to be across the sea a place of reputed beauty and peace a peace that Sorona craved more than anything the world could offer her . For her Crime she incurred a punishment more harsh than the spirits could have imagined, A dream that jogged her fractured memory reminding her of the lands to the south and of kin and family. But the dream was a nightmare, dark and terrifying. Sorona could not bare another nightmare so she tried at first to hide from the vision shutting it out but she could not so she eventually and reluctantly came south to find answers and warn someone of what the vision pertained.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:45 AM   #501
Child of the 7th Age

Many thanks to everyone for their patience during my lengthy absence. Things are slowly falling into place so I have a bit more time. My last save between Ráma and Aiwendil is finally filled in and revised.

Hilde - thanks for carrying on with day#2.

Nerindel - please check your pms. I have a question about how to proceed with a possible dialogue between Sorona and Ráma about a future trek to the south to visit the wisewoman... Please let me know how you'd like me to approach this. If you prefer that I edit or eliminate Aiwnedil's final statements about Sorona, I can also do this.

~Cami
Old 11-28-2004, 01:51 AM   #502
Child of the 7th Age

Addendum to above: Shall I do a save and begin working on the summary post for day 3 of the funeral, or are there other things that need to go in first?

It is taking a while for my old brain to get creaking again!

Cami
Old 11-28-2004, 03:11 AM   #503
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

My post #305 for Piosenniel is now filled in.

When will Rama and Aiwendil start toward the southern mountains to look for eagles? I want Rôg to be back before they set out.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:19 AM   #504
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Bringing this forward:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHARACTER LIST – with a few places and other assorted things added on for ease of reference

~*~

GONDOR

-- Mithadan – Captain/The Lonely Star
-- Airefalas – First Mate/The Lonely Star
-- Avarlond – Airefalas brother
-- Lady Isabel - Airefalas’ fiancée
-- Saelon – Helm’s-man/The Lonely Star
-- Ardil – sailor/The Lonely Star
-- Duilin – sailor/The Lonely Star

-- Piosenniel
-- Cami, Isilmir, Gilwen – Pio and Mith’s children
-- Derylin – friend of Pio and Mith
-- Hester – Pio/Mith’s housekeeper-cook
-- Sinda – Pio’s horse/male

-- Baran the Beorning

-- Morien – Innkeeper/The Seventh Star Inn
-- Mirenin – serving-girl/The Seventh Star Inn

-- Faragaer – Captain/The Scuppered Gull
-- Haladan – First Mate/The Scuppered Gull

-- Tavar – Captain/The Windrunner whose crew is manning the Star’s return to Umbar

-- Hamar – First Mate/The Sandpiper/one of Elessar’s sailors sent to assist in the return of Mithadan and Airefalas

xxx Places/Things xxx

-- The Seventh Star Inn

-- The Lonely Star – Pio and Mith’s ship/renamed (see following entry)
-- The Sandpiper - Star renamed for rescue trip south/old ship which used to sail the coasts to Umbar
-- The Windrunner - Capt. Tavar's ship/crew is manning The Sandpiper

~*~

UMBAR

The Dragon Clan

-- Wyrma
-- Tinar - Wyrma’s youngest of four sons
-- Markal – Wyrma’s 1st son
-- Walat – Wyrma’s 2nd son, serves under Halfr/Wolf Clan
-- Kumat – Wyrma’s 3rd son
-- Elsta – Wyrma’s maid

-- Falasmir – ruler of Umbar
-- Galandor – Falasmir’s right hand man/Wyrma’s dalliance
-- Kalir – Falasmir’s servant
-- Raal, Mahal, Seft – Falasmir’s guards for the Gondorians

-- Musad and Nizar – odd jobbers for Wyrma
-- Wahid and Wasim – Wyrma’s would be, now dead, assassins of Elessar

The Wolf Clan

-- Audúlfr -Father of Halfr, Grandfather to Kórpulfr. Audúlfr pledged an alliance with the Wyrm clan after they helped to save the wolf clan from extinction, but came to regret this decision when he realise what Wyrma’s true plans were. However before he could tell anyone of his fears, he became mysteriously ill eventually dying.

-- Halfr - (Age 52) Korpulfr’s father and Sorona’s husband. After losing his wife in the great Haradrim raids, he became mad with grief blaming the eagle clan, the Haradrim and anyone else who does not agree with his thirst for revenge, even his own father at one point!

-- Korpúlfr - (age 25) Halfr and Sorona’s only son. A prominent merchant of Umbar and a loyal member of his clan. (see Bio for more)

-- Hasrim - (Age 35) Wolf clan Warrior and Kor’s older cousin (Halfr‘s Sisters son). Hasrim lost his mother, father and both his sisters in the Haradrim raids and now brands anyone who will not stand and fight cowards. He believes in Wyrma’s ambitions and plans to be key figure in her new order. However, he keeps these ideals a closely guarded secret especially from his Cousin!

-- Asrim - (Age 30) Kor’s cousin (Halfr’s brother’s eldest son). Asrim is a merchant of Umbar, he looks after the business when Kor is away, he has adapted well to this way of life and enjoys being a respectable merchants and if forced to choose he would not return to the nomadic life of his ancestors. But he is a strong believer in choices and if he knew that Wyrma was forcing her people into the cities he would be against it, as a confident negotiator he does not hold with violence, but will defend himself or his people if he is called to do so or if left with no other option.

-- Jahr - (Age 17) Asrim’s younger brother and wolf clan messenger. Jahr loves his brother and looks up to both him and Kor. being young Jahr is not sure what he wants out of life, he often dreams of becoming a powerful merchant like his brother and his cousin. However, when in the city for to long he feels caged and trapped, feeling the call of the desert and the freedom it holds deeply.

xxx Places/Things xxx

-- The Cat’s Paw Inn
-- Wyrma’s maenwaith city/under construction - east of the Havens of Umbar

~*~

THE DESERT

The Eagle Clan

-- Rama
-- Narika – Rama’s twin
-- Ayar – Rama’s mother – now deceased
-- Claris – Ayar’s grey-haired serving woman
-- Ayka – ancient Eagle crone/lives in the mountains to the south
-- Kyelek – Rama’s trusty steed

-- Thorn – marrying Narika/was spying at Falasmir’s court
-- Yalisha – herbalist-healer/Thorn’s sister

-- Surinen
-- Dinsul – Surinen’s father
-- Mirya – Surinen’s sister
-- Fador – Surinen’s cousin once removed - mother's side, whom he refers to as 'Uncle' (Elder of the Tribe)

-- Narayad
-- Latah – Narayad’s wife/Fador’s daughter/Surinen's second cousin

-- Salihah - Barakah's granddaughter and the best friend and confidante of Fador's daughter, Latah. She is 19 nineteen years old, married, and the mother of a one-year-old child. She is rather plain, but good hearted and wise for her age. She harbors a very deep love and respect for her grandmother.

-- Sorona – trapped in Eagle form/mildly amnesiac
-- Freya – Sorona’s deceased cousin

-- Miri – 7y/o girl/has a brother

-- Kron, Zed, Garel - Eagle tribesmen

Elders of the Eagle Clan

-- Fador - Chairman, so to speak, of the counsel of elders.

-- Barakah - a widow, she is small and thin and very old, with bright dark brown eyes and flwoing white hair. Very traditional, she distrusts the Dragons, the Wolf clan and the outside world as a whole, believing that isolation is the key to the survival of the Eagles.

-- Dakarai - basically, he is Barakah's protector and supporter. He shares her views on isolation as the Eagles' best chance for survival. Of medium height and weight, he is of rather dour countenance and wears a full white beard.

-- Harith - a small, wizened old fellow with very few teeth. He spent a good bit of time in his youth interacting with the outside world as a trader. He misses the excitement of the city and would prefer that the tribe cast aside their traditions and move in a new direction. He speaks in a high-pitched quavering voice and loves to gamble. Cheats.

-- Muntaz - very fat and, motivated by an abiding interest in trade and commerce, would like to see the Eagles embrace new ideas and interact more with the outside world.

-- Hadya - Muntaz's younger sister and Fador's long-time mistress. A widow, she is a sweet and simple soul. Gray-haired and plump, she believes whatever Fador tells her she should believe. She is intensely loyal to Fador and frequently at odds with her brother, although she does agree with him that the Eagles should interact more with the outside world.

~*~

ODD AND ASSORTED CHARACTERS

-- Eagle SC's in the coastal mountain range
  • Ayka - older female
  • Azar - young male

-- Aiwendil

-- Rôg
-- Abar, Uriyat, Dairaphel (Daira) – Rôg’s father/mother/sister
-- The Elders of Rog’s clan – a curious lot who will appear soon

-- Hazad – Ayar’s assassin

-- Lena – Innkeeper at the Cat’s Paw in Umbar

-- Waitimu – leader of the Bakhpusta/Haradwaith nomads/non-maenwaith

-- Bird – Skinchanger/close friend of Mithadan and Piosenniel/whereabouts unkown

Here's a MAP, too.
Old 11-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #505
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Glad to see you back in the desert Child. I hope that all went well.

Just a bit of curiosity here, but which characters are to be involved in Ráma’s search for the wise woman. It is sounding at present like Ráma, Aiwendil and possibly Sorona. Am I right in assuming it will be a small group?
Old 11-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #506
Child of the 7th Age

Silmaril

Thinking out loud....

I had envisioned the Elders' meeting eventually deciding to send a group to the south to recruit from the other tribes. Aiwendil and Ráma would be part of this larger group, but at some point would turn aside on their particular mission in the mountains to make inquities about the talisman. Sorona would be with them. At the end of this sequence, they would return to the larger group or head back to the clan, whatever worked best.

I don't think we'd want the entire search party to go on this side trek, but it is possible that another character or two could join, openly or surreptitiously, if there was a good reason for this. This "good" reason could be positive or negative: supporting the mission or having doubts about a particular character and wanting to keep an eye on them.

I think the Elders will know something of Ráma's errand but may be less than supportive..... So there is even room from this angle to have someone "assigned" to come along, or being encouraged to spy.

Finally, none of this is written in stone. If you or anyone else sees problems or would prefer a different approach, there's lots of wiggle room if we discuss it. I have alluded to some of this in the story, but really haven't sat down and hammered out specifics with others. But that was the heart of what I was thinking. And if anyone would like to join in this side quest for whatever reason, please let me know.

The other thing is I am not sure how Pio (as a character) or Rôg tie into this time wise: where they will be at this time. And I also assume that if posters were actually off recruiting, they'd want to elaborate their own subplot. Or it's possible the "recruiters" could be carry-alongs if everyone else wants to run off with some other line of the plot. We haven't talked too much about what will happen after the meeting. And while we probably don't want to spell out too much, it might be good if we had a vague idea what comes next.

Any other ideas, Hilde or anyone else? I will get a save up for day 3 of the funeral to push us ahead. I can always leapfrog forward if there is a timing problem.

Cami

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-30-2004 at 03:49 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:20 AM   #507
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

I guess what I need to know is - do you want Rôg going with Aiwendil and Rama to find the Eagles?

If not then I'll have him hang out for a longer time with his own clan . . . or think of something interesting for him to do.

As for the Elf, she and her party can arrive anytime - her only real concern being the finding of and retrieval of Mithadan.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #508
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Question

Does anyone have any plans/ideas as to where Airefalas & Mithadan fit into all of this? I'm kind of at a loss there.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #509
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

I'll PM you privately, Ealasaide, but at the moment Mith and Airefalas do seem to be effectively sidelined. If anyone else has any ideas, please voice them. Otherwise, Ealaside and I may go off on a tangent.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #510
Child of the 7th Age

Question

More stream of consciousness.... I'm no 'authority' on any of this. Excuse the pun, but I am really 'winging it' here.

My initial feeling is that Rôg would likely come with the smaller group because of his desire to keep Aiwendil out of trouble, a role he's performed from the beginning. Don't know if Rôg may also begin to suspect that the old fellow has more to him than first meets the eye..... So, Pio, if it fits into your own plans for Rôg, I definitely think it would work. How many days would you need/want to get Rôg back to the main camp? (Of course, there's always that mythical time condense post....)

Quote:
Does anyone have any plans/ideas as to where Airefalas & Mithadan fit into all of this? I'm kind of at a loss there.
Aren't there three questions at issue here that will determine their fate?
  • Do Airefalas and Mithadan decide to "throw in their lot" with the Eagles in their struggle? If so, why?
  • Does the Council of Elders agree to accept the help of the men, at least grudgingly? Perhaps there is some special expertise the Gondorians bring to the table such as familiarity with warfare in terms of a walled city? The SC would not have this.
  • Once the question of accepting help from the "foreigners" is settled, then the main issue is what happens next with the plot, at least in a general sense. Wouldn't Mithadan and Airefalas be part of whatever that is?

I am guessing that the first two points will be settled by the end of the Elders' meeting and there should be some decisions made on the plotting issue as well. While one option is to have real posters go south and recruit, that could be handled as a brief "carry along" subplot with ghost people (written by those going to the mountains) with the "real" posters going elsewhere with the story.

Another possibility is to get the main plot into direct action perhaps by a little 'trip' to Maenwaith city for a snooping and dirty work. That could include the Eagles and Gondorians (and Wolves as well if that fits.) I mean how can we fight the enemy when we know so little about her and her resources. What has she got hidden in that blasted city?

That option would have the advantage of pulling Wyrma and the baddies more into the story, pushing the story on a bit faster, and getting into a more action oriented mode. We'd have two subplots rolling:

• The main one that would be into maenwaith city and beginning to dig out Wyrma's secrets and hunt for a way to bring the city down both in terms of fortifications and turning the sentiment of the other maenwaith.
  • The second group with Aiwendil, Sorona, Rôg, Ráma, (and perhaps another character?) along with some ghost carry-alongs. Their task is to get the resources needed--the conventional ones like allies and the two special ones that Ayar mentioned: Giant sized Eagles and perhaps a sympathetic dragon.

Of course at some point, we would join up...

Any reaction or feeling about this? Do you want the main plot to focus on Wyrma's city, or do you prefer to deal with the actual recruiting trip first? I am thinking the former would give us more adrenaline, but all this is very much off the top of my head.

EDIT: Hi, Mith. We cross posted....

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 11-30-2004 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:04 PM   #511
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Mith - ah, great! Thanks! I will be looking forward to your PM.

Child - All three questions re: the Gondorians raise excellent points, but I think I will wait to see what Mithadan has to say before trying to plan anything further from my standpoint. Thanks very, very much for the comments & input!
Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 PM   #512
Child of the 7th Age

Sounds good...

Cami
Old 11-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #513
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

Bringing this forward:

1.) Elders' meeting (DONE)

2.) Sorona shares her vision (DONE)

3.) Elders react (DONE)

4.) Those outside the meeting react (DOES ANYONE STILL NEED THIS? PUT A POST ON THE DISCUSSION THREAD - I'LL MOVE IT TO #297 ON THE GAME)

5.) Individual evening posts of Day 1 -- One of the things Child wants to do is to hook Ráma up with Aiwendil DONE

6.) Rog leaves at the end of Day 1. (DONE)

7.) Summary post for day 2 following the outline for the funeral (DONE)

~*~

8.) Summary post for day three following the outline for the funeral (Cami – SAVE on board)

9.) Day four will be individual posts that tie up the funeral and set the scene for coming action and conflicts, e.g., Rama talking with her sister privately about what Ayar said, preparations for the wedding and the official naming of the new leaders....

10.) Day 5 would be individual posts for the wedding and naming

11.) Day 6 would be the BIG meeting of the Elders where everyone is screaming at each other, Rama is officially declared a lunatic when rumors of what her mother said slips out, and we finally decide what we are going to do for the rest of the game

** Cami **

I think Rôg should return at the end of Day 6. He will have more than an inkling of who Aiwendil is.

Did you want to have Rama and Miri speak about Rôg being gone at some time? It will set Rama wondering how he's gone and come so far, so quickly. If you'ld like I'll write the scene, or you can.

If you want me to do it - leave me a hook in one of your next few posts so that Miri can run into Rama.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-30-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #514
Child of the 7th Age

Thumbs up

Pio,

Quote:
Did you want to have Rama and Miri speak about Rôg being gone at some time? It will set Rama wondering how he's gone and come so far, so quickly. If you'ld like I'll write the scene, or you can.
This sounds good, especially the part about you writing the scene. At some point after the end of day 3 (if I ever get down to filling in my save!), Ráma will also have a conversation with her sister. So we'll need to make sure that she's not in two places at the same time talking with two different people. Other than that, I see no problem at all.

I am quite fond of Pio's point #11 in the outline:

Quote:
11.) Day 6 would be the BIG meeting of the Elders where everyone is screaming at each other, Rama is officially declared a lunatic when rumors of what her mother said slip out, and we finally decide what we are going to do for the rest of the game.
This is a most excellent synopsis of our plotting for the game.....

Cami
Old 11-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #515
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

1420!

I knew you would go for the ME writing of the scene - - Lazy!

And I'd love to take credit for this outline, but it was from a few pages back - and you wrote it! So, 'Good Job! to you!

~*~ Pio, the Recycler
Old 11-30-2004, 04:07 PM   #516
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ealasaide, let me know if you want a change of plan regarding Airefalas.
Old 11-30-2004, 04:21 PM   #517
Child of the 7th Age

Hilde,

Please let me know should any of your characters be interested in a little mountain vacation at any point.

Pio,

I wrote that? How embarrassing! Now that you remind me, I have the vaguest of memories.

Cami
Old 11-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #518
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

** Ealasaide **

Please take a look at Nerindel's post on this page (#499). You will need to cut and paste her game posts around the post of yours that she mentioned.

Thanks!

~*~ Pio
Old 11-30-2004, 05:23 PM   #519
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Yipe! I saw those days ago and was waiting for you to do the cut & paste! I didn't realize that was my job. I'll take care of it right away.

Okay! Tis done. Sorry for falling asleep at the switch.

Last edited by Ealasaide; 11-30-2004 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:57 AM   #520
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Child- It had crossed my mind, but I can not commit just yet.