The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-12-2002, 04:51 PM   #1
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting If you could meet Tolkien . . .

I've been thinking about this lately. If you could meet J.R.R. Tolkien, what would you say? (This requires some imagination, of course, since he died in the 70's . . . unless you were actually there and met him, in which case, I'm terribly envious of you)

I think I'd just stammer incoherently for a few seconds, thank him for creating such a wonderful series and a such a magnificent magical world, and then I'd run away, terribly embarrassed and flustered and flabbergasted, screaming, I've met Tolkien, I've met Tolkien! Over and over again in my head. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 08-12-2002, 05:26 PM   #2
Durialion
Animated Skeleton

Durialion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Durialion Send a message via AIM to Durialion
Sting

I think I would probally ask him if he were going to write more books and talk with him about his books. I would tell him the parts I liked and parts I did'nt. I too would be embarrassed.
Durialion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 10:00 PM   #3
Princess Arwen

Sting

My reaction would be similar to yours Merri....but I'd probably pass out before I had a chance to run around yelling "I've met Tolkien"
Old 08-13-2002, 10:08 AM   #4
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I would probably not say much, just shake his hand and try to make friendly conversation, seek some advice on writing and ask him how "Jack" (C.S.) Lewis was getting along.

Here's a thought: what if you were his student when he was a professor at Oxford?
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2002, 10:17 AM   #5
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

If I met him, I would probably just congratulate him on the success of his book, ask him where he got the ideas, inquire after the family...

And then I would go home and call all of my friends to brag about meeting Tolkein.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:22 AM   #6
Merri
Wight

Merri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OOohh, wow, if I were his student. I wish! Although sometimes geniuses aren't great teachers, take John Nash, for example. Although I'm sure Tolkien would have been a great teacher . . .

Wait a minute. How is C.S. Lewis related to Tolkien? I obviously missed something . . . .

Agh! I found the One Ring and the Evenstar pendant on the Barrowdowns store . . . and my mom won't let me get one or the other until she sees my score for the PSAT . . . *whines and grumbles about life being unfair, then goes on drooling at the Evenstar pendant* [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ August 13, 2002: Message edited by: Merri ]
Old 08-13-2002, 11:02 PM   #7
The Silver-shod Muse
Shade of Carn Dûm

The Silver-shod Muse has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Tolkien and Lewis were good friends for many years when they were profs together at Oxford. They were both members of a little group called the Inklings that met at a pub to discuss their literary works. If you're interested, there are a few good threads around here on their relationship and how it affected Tolkien's rendition of Sam and Frodo's friendship.

Lewis and Tolkien are the two authors I hold in the highest esteem, and I would as much love to meet Lewis as I would Tolkien.
"'You," he said, "tell her all. What good came to you? Do you rejoice that Maleldil became a man? Tell her of your joys, and of what profit you had when you made Maleldil and death acquainted.'" -Perelandra, by C.S. Lewis
The Silver-shod Muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 02:17 AM   #8
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

When I was younger, I met an author, Brian Jaques, at a book signing. I was a pretty big fan of his books, and when I got to talk to him, I believe my words were "Your books are cool" and then my brain froze up completely and I stood there with a grin on my face.
Who knows what I'd do if I met Tolkien? I love his books more than almost anything, even more than sports. I would probably just slip into a dazed coma, happy and content just to have looked upon the master himself.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:22 AM   #9
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would [ I hope] get down on my knees and
  • beg him to finish the Silmarillion
  • make it as large as he has imagined it to be
  • keep the pre-numenoreanless world flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • forget writing letters to all of those folks until the Silmarillion is finished.
  • Don't worry about an elvish glossary/dictionary till the Silmarillion was finished!
  • please finish the Silmarillion

Of course I would prob go brain dead like everyoneelse, but assuming I didn't. Those are the words I would use to make a fool of meself.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote