The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 AM   #1
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Subject for the Second film?

In a 2004 press statement New Line had said that they had the rights to make two Middle Earth films: One based on the Hobbit and the other an independent sequel/prequel 'drawn from footnotes and appendices'. Right now the plan for this second unnamd prequel seems to be a film on the White Council/Necromancer and other events between the Hobbit and LOTR. But in my opinion this oppurtunity can be better used for telling other stories of Middle Earth. What if PJ just included the White Council parts in the Hobbit film and used the other film for something like the War of the Last Alliance or the Fall of Arnor? Any suggestions for which stories you would want depicted?
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
Since they have the rights to the Appendicies, this is the film I want to see

- Feanor is shown to be the greatest of the Eldar making the Silmarils filling them with the radiance of the Two Trees
- Morgoth stealing the Silmarils
-Morgoth destroying the Two Trees by poisoning them
- Morgoth retreating to his great fortress of Thangorodrim with the Silmarils
- Feanor leading his people into exile
- War between the Eldar and Edain against Morgoth and his forces
- the defeat of the Eldar and Edain
- the union of Beren and Luthien and their lineage
-Beren and Luthien steal a Silmaril from the Iron Crown of Morgoth
-Luthien becomes mortal and gives birth to Dior
-the city of Gondolin with Turgon as its king
-the wedding of Earendil to Elwing
-the overthrow of Morgoth
-the ship of Earendil is set into the heavens

Now that is an epic!!!!!
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Jackson has stated that his plan for the second movie is the period post Hobbit & pre-LotR. That's what the audience want. The first age stuff is not under consideration as far as I'm aware. Just because they could put together a 'FA' movie doesn't mean they'd want to.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No, no...I'd agree with davem. I think their time would be better spent doing stuff between the Hobbit and LotR and not meddling with first age stuff. Besides, all that would take hours and hours and a whole 'nother 12-hour, three movie film.

I think he could spend his time in the second movie showing the progress of the dwarves... perhaps following the lives of the company. Balin, for instance, went off to Moria - a sequence touched upon in LotR by finding his tomb, and one promising to be very interesting with the Watcher in the Water and tons of orcs, and even a sight of the Balrog, no doubt.

Also, he could have the beginning of Aragorn's love story!

Gollum could be drawn out of the caves and brought to the world of the living and so could have an interesting story thread of his own...

The possibilties are many, you know.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
davem and Folwren ... of course you both are totally correct in that is what the public wants and that is what Jackson will give them. Its a very smart business decision.

My post was a direct response to the question asked by zxcvbn of what stories I want to see out of the Appendicies. Perhaps those should be left the a third cycle of films - #6, 7 and 8?

Last edited by Sauron the White; 12-22-2007 at 08:30 AM. Reason: typo
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Since they have the rights to the Appendicies, this is the film I want to see
As GK Chesterton said: "To have a right to do a thing is not at all the same as to be right in doing it."

Or to put it another way Zaentz/Jackson may have the legal right to use such material, but they'd be pushing it - & they might just find that if someone was to follow CT who was a bit more open to selling the movie rights to The Sil writings he or she might decide they'd blotted their copybook by making such a pseudo-Sil movie (in short, I don't know whether Adam Tolkien is as opposed to more movies as his father is....)

No-one can say that 5 or 10 years (or less) from now the rights to the Sil won't be up for grabs - do you really think approaches haven't been made? The 'official' version was that legal disputes would mean The Hobbit would never reach the screen. Then it was Jackson would never be involved. Now its The Sil rights will NEVER be sold. JRRT was willing to sell the movie rights to his work CT is not. Those who inherit the rights may be - its impossible to tell. So, that being the case, do you really think Zaentz or Jackson is going to risk annoying the rights holders by knocking up a script based on a few scraps in Appendix A if they thereby find themselves excluded from being able to buy movie rights to all Tolkien's other stuff?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #7
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Hobbit sequel: What will it contain?

Link:
http://www.wildbluffmedia.com/2007/1...-and-a-sequel/

So apparently there will be two movies filmed simultaneously. The first will cover the full storyline in the Hobbit. The second will bridge the 60 year gap between TH and the beginning of LoTR.

I'm a bit surprised about this choice; I'd have though there were other parts of JRRTs works that would make a better movie. Not so sure what actually happened during this time. Not much drama that I can remember. Would be cool perhaps to see an incarnate Sauron return to Barad Dur (as opposed to that silly red eye), and the White Counsil's attack on Dol Guldur.

The though of the scriptwriters being a given free reign to make up much of the storyline worries me a bit.

Still, two movies are better than one I suppose.

So what do you think this movie will contain?

And what would you like it to contain?
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #8
Nazgűl-king
Wight

Nazgűl-king has just left Hobbiton.
I think they will included the Dol Guldor storyline with The Hobbit, as for the in-between thing maybe it could show the Angmar storyline that is featured in the appendices.
Nazgűl-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Could someone help me list what is written about these 60 years between TH and LoTR? This is what I can remember:

The Hobbits drink their ale and plow their earth.

The elves remember the good old days.

Balin goes to Moria and have himself killed.

Gollum goes to Mordor and is caught by Sauron, who's just returned.

He's then caught by Aragorn who is quite busy during this time.

What else?

Last edited by skip spence; 02-02-2008 at 04:27 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #10
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip spence View Post
Could someone help me list what is written about these 60 years between TH and LoTR? This is what I can remember:

The Hobbits drink their ale and plow their earth.

The elves remember the good old days.

Balin goes to Moria and have himself killed.

Gollum goes to Mordor and is caught by Sauron, who've just returned.

He's then caught by Aragorn who is quite busy during this time.

What else?
You're forgetting the famous expedition of Drogo Baggins into Far Harad to catch the gigantic gorilla which subsequently ran amok in Minas Tirith & then fell to its death from the Tower of Ecthelion. That should take up a good three hours of screentime...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Er.....actually I'd like to see that one......
Old 05-01-2008, 02:52 AM   #12
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Skip spence: re your query: "Could someone help me list what is written about these 60 years between TH and LoTR?"

This is from the tale of the years:
Quote:

Bilbo returns to the Shire with the Ring. Sauron returns in secret to Mordor. 2944 Bard rebuilds Dale and becomes King. Gollum leaves the Mountains and begins his search for the 'thief of the Ring.

Théoden son of Thengel. King of Rohan. born.

Gandalf and Balin visit Bilbo in the Shire.

Finduilas, daughter of Adrahil of Dol Amroth, born.

Sauron declares himself openly and gathers power in Mordor. He begins the rebuilding of Barad-dűr. Gollum turns towards Mordor. Sauron sends three of the Nazgűl to reoccupy Dol Guldur. Elrond reveals to 'Estel' his true name and ancestry, and delivers to him the shards of Narsil. Arwen, newly returned from Lórien, meets Aragorn in the woods of Imladris. Aragorn goes out into the Wild.

Last meeting of the White Council. They debate the Rings. Saruman feigns that he has discovered that the One Ring has passed down Anduin to the Sea. Saruman withdraws to Isengard, which he takes as his own, and fortifies it Being jealous and afraid of Gandalf he sets spies to watch all his movements; and notes his interest in the Shire. He soon begins to keep agents in Bree and the Southfarthing.

Mount Doom bursts into flame again. The last inhabitants of Ithilien flee over Anduin.

Aragorn meets Gandalf and their friendship begins.

2957-80
Aragorn undertakes his great journeys and errantries. As Thorongil he serves in disguise both Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II of Gondor.

Birth of Frodo.

Denethor weds Finduilas of Dol Amroth.

Bain son of Bard becomes King of Dale.

Birth of Boromir son of Denethor II.

Aragorn enters Lórien and there meets again Arwen Undómiel. Aragorn gives her the ring of Barahir. and they plight their troth upon the hill of Cerin Amroth. About this time Gollum reaches the confines of Mordor and becomes acquainted with Shelob. Théoden becomes King of Rohan.

Faramir son of Denethor born. Birth of Samwise.

Death of Ecthelion II. Denethor II becomes Steward of Gondor.

Finduilas dies young.

Balin leaves Erebor and enters Moria.

Éomer Éomund's son born in Rohan.

Balin perishes, and the dwarf-colony is destroyed.

Éowyn sister of Éomer born.

_c._ 3000
The shadow of Mordor lengthens. Saruman dares to use the _palantír _of Orthanc, but becomes ensnared by Sauron, who has the Ithil Stone. He becomes a traitor to the Council. His spies report that the Shire is being closely guarded by the Rangers.?
So plenty to work on. from the above I would like to see:

Gollum searching for the Ring
the rebuilding of Barad-dur
Nazgul occupying Dol Guldur
Elrond explaining aragorn's ancestry
the White Council (and bits form the unfinished tales can be used here)
saruman off to isengard
aragorn / gandalf friendship
frodo born
aragorn / arwen and all it entails!
gollum meets shelob!!
balin - moria - (fights no doubt!) and destruction of the colony
saruman ensared by sauron in the palantir
rangers begin guard of shire

enough for a couple of hours I rekcon!

they could also be a little bit artisitic with the timings and show some form of attack on dol guldur (and retreat by sauron) wich technically takes place during the Hobbit timeline I suppose
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
Ring

Interesting. I'd forgotten how much could be
made of pre-Bilbo Gollum.