Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #441
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Yes just noticed. Iwill look.. inclined to edit anyway..Elfthain is turning into a chatty little blighter. He will get even on my nerves soon!

However just switching the order works. Elfthain is going to be a lot less chirpy now that Thornden has said that about the letter....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 10-06-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #442
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ok, I switched the posts. The piglet comment made me laugh aloud, so I figured Thornden would, too.

I also had Javan speak my mind - I'm confused about how the colt thing is going to work out. Is he going to be brought to Scarburg? I changed Javan's last question so he's addressing Elfthain rather than Leof (sorry, Firefoot).
Old 10-07-2015, 05:58 AM   #443
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Cheers for that. I don't think Elfthain had thought it all through at the moment he asked. I love Saffy. She has become far more of a character than I expected. I am glad we didn't hurt her ..

Old 10-07-2015, 06:56 AM   #444
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Firefoot, I have to say, I am super excited about your girl character (can't recall her name just at this moment) coming to Scarburg. I have an idea that makes me extremely happy, and I want to talk to you about it, but part of me says I should wait and see how things play out... So I wont' say anything, except that I'm excited.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #445
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Firefoot, I have to say, I am super excited about your girl character (can't recall her name just at this moment) coming to Scarburg. I have an idea that makes me extremely happy, and I want to talk to you about it, but part of me says I should wait and see how things play out... So I wont' say anything, except that I'm excited.
Me too. I have a lot of half-formed ideas floating around in my mind for her. Can't wait to hear what you have in mind as well.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:57 AM   #446
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Things could get very interesting.

Old 10-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #447
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I have assumed that Javan has asked the question that Thornden interrupted. Hope that is ok. Good call on not calling Saffy a sow.. Elfthain loves her and would probably feel quite protective of her even though he is quite rude about her himself.....

Old 10-09-2015, 08:38 AM   #448
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

So I've tried writing for Leof a couple times now in the last couple days and find myself uninspired by his soap making venture... would anyone with one of the female characters be interested in helping Leof find/gather supplies?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #449
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I read a book called Longbourn last year which had a soap making episode which was fascinating but unfortunately I got it from the library so don't have it to hand. I am not suggesting plagiarism but it might have had some tips. It was more a house hold soap I think -they used animal fat and it had to be left weeks before use so this soap might be for future use? I might get a copy of my own, it was a cracking read for anyone who likes Austen - it has its own story but is also the events of Pride and Prejudice from the servants' perspective... anyway I digress...

Old 10-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #450
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha. Sorry, Firefoot. If no one volunteers their character (Saeryn is busy at present), then perhaps you can skim over it "and Leof made soap" and go on to something more interesting?

For instance, when is Leof's sister arriving? Gal55, where are you?

Mith, it's perfectly fine that you had Javan asked about Poppy.

I am going to post for Thornden and Eoghan soon. Maybe for Javan. Not sure yet.

What else is occurring in the near future? When this day originally began, we were going to bring the wood dwellers in. That kind of fell through. So what now? Bring in Leof's sister and Gal55's character... Flooding starting?
Old 10-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #451
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well since we have used the simplest method of getting Elfthain to stay, ie just asking shall we get rid of the rest of the convoy with relevant correspondence before any flooding?

I think I had better write up a bit of bio for Elfthain's uncle/mother since I feel that at least one of them may turn up at some point.

Elfthain will try to ride out unless it is absolutely bucketing. His tack is clean though clearly that won't last... But happy to do what helpful to bring other players in. In the mean time happy to assume Javan and he are talking among themselves so I will leave that to your discretion.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #452
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I'm here... kind of. Every day I plan to start writing a response to Lommy, and it just never ends up happening. By the time I finish work I'm out of creativity. I had two midterms last week, but I'll probably be able to write this weekend.

For the future, if you feel like moving on ahead but are stuck with Ledwyn because of me, feel free to temporarily NPC her. I feel bad about other characters lagging behind.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:01 AM   #453
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
One day of rain does not a flood create.

However, when it has rained non-stop for three solid days, then people are going to start worriting and talking.

And Eodwine will have the able bodied folk, including himself, digging trenches.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:49 AM   #454
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
One day of rain does not a flood create.

However, when it has rained non-stop for three solid days, then people are going to start worriting and talking.

And Eodwine will have the able bodied folk, including himself, digging trenches.
But if the Entwash overflows as well...
Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #455
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Gal55, I was thinking more of Balan and Cerwyn than Ledwyn.

Mith, I will post for Javan and they can continue their conversation. I also still aim to post for Thornden and Eoghan. Time just slipped away yesterday. Should happen today in the very near future.

Trench digging sounds like a good thing to plan to do eventually...as the rain continues, since Scarburg is low, there may be a lot of gathering water.

Where is the Entwash in relation to us?
Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #456
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren

Where is the Entwash in relation to us?
Map of the Mid-Emnet: HERE

All of the maps and drawings for Location of Scarburg/Maps of Scarburg, Meadhall, Middle-earth are in a link in post #3 of this discussion thread: HERE
Old 10-11-2015, 05:18 AM   #457
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
But if the Entwash overflows as well...
Indeed. Then trenches and the dykes that result from their digging are overwhelmed. All in good time.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #458
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Gal55, I was thinking more of Balan and Cerwyn than Ledwyn.
Yeah, I kind of dropped the ball on that. I totally missed Firefoot's post for Cerwyn. We're PMing about it though, so something should be up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Indeed. Then trenches and the dykes that result from their digging are overwhelmed. All in good time.
I see you have it all calculated.

Also, food for chaos: I thought when writing my post that if we need to create mass confusion, maybe there could be a misunderstanding of Westron/Eorling and one of the two monolingual ladies could end up thinking there's fire in the stables, or that the Eorl wants to paint the walls of the Hall, or a false rumour, or a wrong message, or something else totally ridiculous. I tell you in advance - Ledwyn will fall for just about anything.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #459
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Also, food for chaos: I thought when writing my post that if we need to create mass confusion, maybe there could be a misunderstanding of Westron/Eorling and one of the two monolingual ladies could end up thinking there's fire in the stables...
Oh, man, that brings up some bad memories.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:40 PM   #460
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Oh, man, that brings up some bad memories.
Oh gosh, I've forgotten about that!
Old 10-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #461
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Firefoot, soon I'll be posting a co-written post that Elempi and I have done. Then Eoghan will be coming to find Leof, so you can put him in motion again, maybe.

Also, Mith, I may be able to do more interaction with Elfthain very soon. Sorry about the hold up. I've been really tired lately and haven't had much energy to write.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:47 AM   #462
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh don't worry. You have a lot of significant characters to mind and I have just the one, and he will keep until you are ready. And he really is grateful for the help with grooming.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #463
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Firefoot, I assumed some of the ingredients for the soap would be found in the kitchen? Probably Leof would ask for them and the ladies would find them for him. If I am wrong, I can change my post.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #464
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

The kitchen is perfect.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #465
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

As I was writing last night, I discovered it's very hard to produce good English writing when you have the French and Russian versions of a certain musical stuck in your head simultaneously. Just whyyyyyyyy? Why do languages get so mixed up in my head? I can't function properly when they do that.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:13 AM   #466
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha! I haven't had that much difficulty when trying to write in English, though I must say sometimes my Spanish gets in the way of learning French and I keep recalling Spanish words instead of French ones.

We're patient....for now.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #467
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Haha! I haven't had that much difficulty when trying to write in English, though I must say sometimes my Spanish gets in the way of learning French and I keep recalling Spanish words instead of French ones.

We're patient....for now.
It's happening...

For me, I tend to insert Hebrew words into French and vice versa, because these are my two languages which are most lacking in vocabulary. I generally have no problem in communicating in any language (I have an issue with translating, though), or in a mix of languages (sometimes within the same sentence). My problem that night was that I had an amazing song stuck in my head, but in my mind the lyrics kept switching from French to Russian, and it did not rhyme, made no sense, and was just annoying the hell out of me until my mind started spewing bits of lyrics in both languages instead of legible English.

But most of the time the opposite effect happens - one of those musical songs gets stuck in my head in one specific language. It's musically the same song, but somehow my mind interprets it as two different songs capable of being stuck in your head. I didn't realize until this fall that trying to keep up multiple languages can have such unpredictable and annoying consequences!

But anyways, I did write what I meant to. It's progressing. No clue how long it'll end up being, though, or when it will be finished.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #468
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I will spare you my language related embarassments but please Galadriel don't put yourself under so much pressure. Sometimes it is better to post something that keeps the story going rather that let the story die because you can't produce something you feel is good enough *coughwightfrightcough* . These days I almost feel happier speaking my appalling German than my French which although rusty is still actually quite good because I feel I have a standard to uphold in French having been pretty much bilingual up in the day - I feel it has to be perfect and end up saying nothing. There is so much less pressure with the German because no one expects me to be good so I concentrate on communicating rather than agreements and if I should be using the subjunctive.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #469
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
I will spare you my language related embarassments but please Galadriel don't put yourself under so much pressure. Sometimes it is better to post something that keeps the story going rather that let the story die because you can't produce something you feel is good enough *coughwightfrightcough* . These days I almost feel happier speaking my appalling German than my French which although rusty is still actually quite good because I feel I have a standard to uphold in French having been pretty much bilingual up in the day - I feel it has to be perfect and end up saying nothing. There is so much less pressure with the German because no one expects me to be good so I concentrate on communicating rather than agreements and if I should be using the subjunctive.
Oh no, I think I totally did not make that come out right. I did write what I intended to, it just took me longer, but it can't be posted yet as it's part of a co-post. But I can promise you that it's growing steadily. Also, I have no problem speaking or writing English - it's the other languages that are suffering. It was just that one time that was really weird, and mostly just annoying.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #470
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh I know you don't generally but post 465 suggested a block. It happens . I remember having to translate something and not for the life of me think what explications was in English. It didn't help that we tended to lapse into Franglais. But imhave offended you and am truly sorry.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #471
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I will vouch that G55 has been very prolific in the co-post we are writing.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #472
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I really wasn't having a pop...quite the reverse was intended. . Only opening mouth to change feet clearly...sorry :-[

Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 AM   #473
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Oh I know you don't generally but post 465 suggested a block. It happens . I remember having to translate something and not for the life of me think what explications was in English. It didn't help that we tended to lapse into Franglais. But imhave offended you and am truly sorry.
Oh no... You haven't offended me. I just made an offhand comment, but based on the reaction I fear I have made it sound like I'm pushing myself into an ESL zone, which isn't true and wasn't the intent of that post, so I just wanted to clear it up. I don't know why this keeps happening to us, but I really should work on speaking (typing?) more coherently.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #474
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

I never think of you like that; just as impressively multilingual. Having trained as a languages teacher I have an residual interest in the quirks of language aquisition... but I still suck at communcation. Evidently.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #475
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

What games we play, eh, Firefoot?
Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #476
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Indeed.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #477
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Whenever ya'll are finished playing your games together, I was thinking we could skip forward to when court was held and when Firefoot's and Gal55's character arrives. Maybe? Can't wait.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #478
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Whenever ya'll are finished playing your games together, I was thinking we could skip forward to when court was held and when Firefoot's and Gal55's character arrives. Maybe? Can't wait.
Sure. That works.

I should post for Balan by the end of today. His story became longer than I anticipated.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #479
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Finally done! The story has an ending, and it will be told in due time.
Old 10-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #480
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I'll have posts up for both Scyld and Cerwyn in a few hours.