The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 AM   #1
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Mattius has just left Hobbiton.
Real Lembas

Hi all, I tried searching for any mention of this but came up with nothing.

Often when driving around my home city of Sheffield in the UK, I notice a van with the word LEMBAS written across the side in a sort of celtic styled font. As you can imagine this has intrigued me greatly- have some elves survived into these modern days and are now peddling their most sacred cure for the munchies? Well yesterday the van finally drove close enough to me to read the web address- http://www.lembas.co.uk/lembas.html (yes it seems obvious to me now) so I logged on to t'interweb and took a look. The folks who create the bread and other various foodstuffs say this about themselves-

"LEMBAS started out as a Bakery in 1982, supplying unprocessed additive free, healthy, breads.

Our name is taken from "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkein.
LEMBAS was the bread that the Elves took with them on long journeys,
a light food giving sustenance and well being.

LEMBAS = ELF BREAD = HEALTH BREAD!!

Corny and sad ... but true!"

Thought it might bring a smile to you, its corny and sad but true- just what I like

Last edited by Mattius; 06-11-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Mattius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 AM   #2
Mattius
Soul of Fire

I recently tried the stuff and it was really nice! Although one small bite didn't fill the stomache of a fully grown man...
Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #3
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattius
I recently tried the stuff and it was really nice! Although one small bite didn't fill the stomache of a fully grown man...
They're based very near us - yes we live on the fringes of Hippyville - did you know that more dogs are vegetarian in Meersbrook than elsewhere in the city - the park wardens have a way of finding out

They worth using then? Despite being non-filling? The van delivers to some greenies on our road (we just get the big blue Tesco van from Mordor).

Is there still a big sign up Abbeydale Road pointing to 'Rohan'? That used to make me laugh!
Old 06-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #4
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
They're based very near us - yes we live on the fringes of Hippyville - did you know that more dogs are vegetarian in Meersbrook than elsewhere in the city - the park wardens have a way of finding out

They worth using then? Despite being non-filling? The van delivers to some greenies on our road (we just get the big blue Tesco van from Mordor).

Is there still a big sign up Abbeydale Road pointing to 'Rohan'? That used to make me laugh!
Meersbrook, you're quite near my way I'm on Archer Road... is that the home deliveries van from Tesco, the height of laziness! (I'm just jealous because I am never in during the day for them to drop off the shop).

Where abouts on Abbeydale Road what that sign I don't ever recall seeing one but if it is still there somewhere I will race down tonight with my digital camara!
Old 06-11-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Meersbrook, you're quite near my way I'm on Archer Road... is that the home deliveries van from Tesco, the height of laziness! (I'm just jealous because I am never in during the day for them to drop off the shop).

Where abouts on Abbeydale Road what that sign I don't ever recall seeing one but if it is still there somewhere I will race down tonight with my digital camara!
Heh, but you must be near three supermarkets there!

The sign used to be near where Naz had his gym, on the opposite side of the road, pointing up the road that runs between the church and the dress shop/Sharps greengrocers...hmmm...Edgedale Road I think. But it's a while since I last drove up there
I bet it was some kind of camping gear shop, isn't there a company called Rohan? That must be about two minutes' walk away from you!
Old 06-11-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Heh, but you must be near three supermarkets there!

The sign used to be near where Naz had his gym, on the opposite side of the road, pointing up the road that runs between the church and the dress shop/Sharps greengrocers...hmmm...Edgedale Road I think. But it's a while since I last drove up there
I bet it was some kind of camping gear shop, isn't there a company called Rohan? That must be about two minutes' walk away from you!
Indeed! With Aldi, Tesco and Sainsburys our shopping can be directly related to how flush we are for each month (although thusfar Tesco has taken all of our food budget- damn you Clubcard; creation of the Devil).

You may not believe this but my girlfriend's uncle owns the outdoor shop on Edgedale Road and its called 'Foothills' but being the Columbo fan that I am I dug a bit further into this Rohan sign business...

"just one more question if I may"

...and it turns out that Rohan is a company (and brand name) for outdoor gear including shoes and clothing.

Quote:
For Rohan, travel is a state of mind, not a state of motion: a stable state of mind which is about looking forward, outward, learning, applying, enjoying the world and this state of mind shapes the thinking, direction and design of Rohan Travel Clothing and Footwear.
Alas, for me Rohan is about riding around on war horses and singing whislt putting orcs to the slaughter. Also I am dissapointed that they do not stock novelty slippers such as Hobbit's feet. Indeed, under their heritage the website says this:

Quote:
In 1975, Rohan changed the clothing industry. Our clothing designers were the first to comprehensively and coherently break with tradition: traditional fabrics, traditional styling, traditional compromises with functionality. Instead, we designed from truly blank sheets of paper. We asked ourselves – and our customers – what they wanted from their clothing. We introduced fabrics and techniques never before associated with clothes. The results: a number of iconic designs, a pioneering culture, a maverick reputation, exceptionally loyal customers, and an ambition – to be recognised as designers of leading-edge performance clothing around the world.
I always thought the heritage of Rohan was their great pride in battle and coming to the aid of Gondor. Oh well, its nice to know that their ancestors in the 7th Age of the world have found a nice market for themselves

P.S. I will try to look out for that Rohan sign on my drive to work tomorrow!
Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Rohan:
Quote:
a stable state of mind
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 AM   #8
Mattius
Soul of Fire

Awesome!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Shield

Mattius, I'll bet that was why there was a sign saying 'Rohan' on it pointing up there then! Did they used to sell that gear in the shop?

The only other place I've seen this Rohan gear is in York where they have a whole shop and that always gets me laughing as it is.

Hmm, 1975? What's the betting it was set up by some outdoorsy hippies into climbing and stuff?! And what's the betting the name draws in a few Tolkien nerds too, if only just to get one of the carrier bags?
Old 06-12-2007, 05:08 AM   #10
Mattius
Soul of Fire

I must get walking on the Pennines with loads of Rohan gear on and eat nothing but Lembas bread!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #11
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
I must get walking on the Pennines with loads of Rohan gear on and eat nothing but Lembas bread!
By the sounds of it you will need more than a couple of squares wrapped in leaves though. Might be better off with Kendal mint cake. hey you could try and find the Green Chapel - as in Gawain and the Green Knight, which I'm pretty sure is this weird rocky area above the Cat and Fiddle near Buxton.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:25 AM   #12
Mattius
Soul of Fire

And then pop into an Inn for a nice pint of ale (it comes in pints?!) and a smoke of the pipe (before July 1st of course!).
Old 06-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Quote:
And then pop into an Inn for a nice pint of ale (it comes in pints?!) and a smoke of the pipe (before July 1st of course!).
That sounds awesome - all Peak walks should end in the pub The Barrel Inn on Eyam Moor if at all possible (don't know how people will manage to light pipes outdoors up there in winter!), or the Druid at Birchover if feeling flush...

If you want somewhere Dwarven you cannot beat a certain cave in Castleton, followed by a trip to the Odin Mine, a walk up Shivering Mountain and then a load of beer in the Castle Hotel. Sorry, just had to get that cave reference in somehow.......