The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Aaron has just left Hobbiton.
What inspiration do you get from Tolkien?

Question; How do the works of JRR Tolkien inspire you?
Please discuss.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
It inspired me to write mythic fantasy.

This is in part because most of the fantasy I read besides Tolkien just is lacking in those qualities I seek. So I try to write them myself. My hope is to succeed in the attempt.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:25 AM   #3
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Tolkien inspired me to write too, recently I finished my first novella and it's all because of how riveted I was by the world he created. Everything was so vivid, the memories from that tale I'll carry for the rest of my life because no other book has filled me with the same ammount of emotions.
I mean, I'll never forget the first time I read The Grey Havens or The Breaking of The Fellowship, they really helped me in the persuit of my own creative voice.

Last edited by Aaron; 11-26-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #4
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, I've been painting and drawing Middle Earth for 19 years. I'm still just learning, but maybe someday I'll turn out something worthy. Right now I have four oil paintings in progress, two of which are Middle-Earth inspired (one inspired by Gollum and another by the Grey Havens).
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:17 AM   #5
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Paintings? Sounds good, y'know I've been thinking of doing some Middle Earth pictures too. Can you send them to the Barrrowdowns so that they get used on the theme pages?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #6
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Writing, roleplaying and drawing.

Also, Tolkien inspired me to do a "Lord of the Rings" exercise book to one of my friends when I was about 7 years old. I'm very sad I don't have it anymore.

Tolkien, or Tom Bombadil, inspired me to make yellow boots from paper colored with crayons when I was around 6-7.

Furthermore, I got a mad idea, that one day, I will make a LotR movie not leaving a single line out. (Not a real movie, but a home video with my friends...)
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:18 AM   #7
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Professor Tolkien's work meant a beautiful fantastic world, an inspiration for creative writing of dozens of novels never finished (the Unfinished Tales - lol), maybe from current point of view the most important for me is inspiration for roleplaying ultimately ending with wonderful Middle-Earth roleplaying setting...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 11:08 AM   #8
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Not only did it inspire me to write my own fantasy, but it drew me into the whole genre. Now I am into D&D, Forgotten Realms, and before I was not. So it opened up a whole new, great world for me.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:33 PM   #9
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am another writer. I wrote before reading Tolkien, but it was after Tolkien that I began to create my own worlds.

I also draw a lot of hobbits. I have drawn several randitions of the Grey Havens and have completed one painting of it. Not to mention so many other things it inspired me to draw and attempt to paint. . .

It inspired me to sew. I've made a number of cloaks and even sold a few! Without that experience in cloaks, I wouldn't be making dresses and skirts now. Someday, the inspiration directly from LotR will come back and I'll make my little brother (or maybe myself) an entire hobbit costume, vest and all.

It inspired me to read faster than my little sister so I would have first right to the books that we were both reading at the same time. That was only temporary, though. She speed reads.

And that's all for now.

-- Folwren
Old 11-29-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

On the topic of inspiration gathered from Tolkien one of my scripts is being considered by the BBC, it's a historical epic about Richard III. I'm hoping it gets made!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #11
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
White Tree

well, it has a lot of wisdom in it. I write alot about it....
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:33 AM   #12
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

What? As in essays or creative writing?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron
On the topic of inspiration gathered from Tolkien one of my scripts is being considered by the BBC, it's a historical epic about Richard III. I'm hoping it gets made!
Congrats, and good luck!
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #14
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Thank you very much my friend. I'm really quite psyched up about it, the Battle of Bosworth should be a mighty affair if it is ever put onto celluoid.Not as good as LOTR mind you but still pretty decent
Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 PM   #15
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
yes, essays, mostly. And i love the poetry!!! kinda inspired me to write my own.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

Me too! Yeah, I won a few poetry competitions back in the day, it's so fulfilling to see that others apreciate your work too.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #17
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien's work for me reaffirms the inspired notion that a person of less significance can make a difference. To keep trying in what I feel is right.

I naturally gravitate to more simple/rural living and Tolkien's descriptive writing inspires me to make my home a more pleasing and welcoming place to be.

Like Folwren, I sew a bit more and love to make cloaks, too.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #18
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

it makes me aware of the times i live in, that there's always a spiritual battle going on between good and evil.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #19
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I've done all the usual stuff like writing, drawing Boromir's death scene (I wonder how many of us have done that?), vandalising my school books and coat by adding the emblem of the White Tree to them. I've made a cloak, a shield and a humungous beech staff made of fallen wood from one of my favourite woodlands (I whittled the wood while sitting on the banks of a moorland stream which turns into the magical Derwent downstream, a blessed river to the old Britons round there, apparently).

My next project, if I move house, will be to create a Hobbit garden. I want to have a shed with a fake round door and a green roof (I currently have a seaside garden with pots on the shed roof). I'll have lavender hedges and willow fences, and a fine vegetable patch with a secret bench where I can go for a smoke and a sulk, hidden behind the raspberry canes.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:00 AM   #20
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
My next project, if I move house, will be to create a Hobbit garden. I want to have a shed with a fake round door and a green roof (I currently have a seaside garden with pots on the shed roof). I'll have lavender hedges and willow fences, and a fine vegetable patch with a secret bench where I can go for a smoke and a sulk, hidden behind the raspberry canes.
Wow! That's cool! I'll come and visit you I always wanted to live in Orthanc, or at least replica of Orthanc... but... you know
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #21
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
Wow! That's cool! I'll come and visit you I always wanted to live in Orthanc, or at least replica of Orthanc... but... you know
You sometimes get old water towers and lighthouses for sale in the UK. One of those could make a great little Orthanc if converted!

I think most of my gardening exploits are in some ways inspired by Tolkien as I always start feeling very virtuous and industrious and Hobbitish when I get the shed open and start potting things up. Just the few minutes spent in inspecting the plants on the daily rounds makes you feel like Sam, especially if you're growing edible crops. Though I only managed two tomatoes on my novice growing season this year. It's very pleasant to spend time with growing things who ask for little more than water and good light.

The other slightly odd inspiration I get is when I go out for a walk and end up walking further than I'd intended. I start to get this sense of determination and adventure as if I'm off on my own quest and then get to a point where I actually don't want to stop...just keep on to the next mountain kind of thing (or turn in the path at any rate).
Old 12-04-2006, 04:01 PM   #22
Aaron
Haunting Spirit

I'm making a maquette at the moment, not too easy.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #23
Boromir_bg
Pile O'Bones

Boromir_bg has just left Hobbiton.
LotR is one of the greatest sources to never lose hope in yourself.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:44 PM   #24
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
When I think of LoTRs....it inspires me to make things as beautiful as I want, and not be embarrassed....beauty works!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #25
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

it makes me think of how someday all the shadows will fade..... and the King will return.