The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2002, 10:32 AM   #1
Mayla Took
Wight

Mayla Took has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Mayla Took
Boots Dressing up for TTT??........

Hullo! I am wondering if anyone else is planing as going to the opening show of TTT as a character or species?? I am planing on going as a Hobbit Lass. (I already have a costume that I found!) Are any of you going dressed up??
Bilbo to Merry and Pippin

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"
Gandalf to Pippin in Moria

E-mail me at mailto:ThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.comThirdAgeHobbit@hotmail.com</A>
Oh, and please rate me. THANKS!
Mayla Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:41 AM   #2
The Mirrorball Man
Haunting Spirit

The Mirrorball Man has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm planning to dress up as a geek.
Old 02-03-2002, 10:46 AM   #3
Enedhil
Wight

Enedhil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dress like something out of Middle-Earth all the time!! heheheh...and i have seen FOTR dressed up in this my usual garb - flat boots, v.long floaty skirt(s) and one of the many peasant blouses i own...and I got a few looks from folk in the cinema lol - "eh?" Mind you, i might dress up extra-special for TTT can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!
Old 02-03-2002, 01:24 PM   #4
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by The Mirrorball Man:<BR><STRONG>I'm planning to dress up as a geek.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, and some us will be wearing are Barrow-down T-shirts!<P>
Old 02-03-2002, 05:10 PM   #5
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dūm

Rosa Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rosa Underhill
Sting

I saw "Harry Potter..." on it's opening day and that was enough for me. I don't know if I wanna risk seeing TTT on opening day; I might get hurt! I didn't even try to see FotR on it's opening day...<P>Where'd you find the costume, Mayla? Or did you make it? Will you have the oh-so-awesome furry feet, too? I love the furry feet; my Mom thinks it's nasty but I love them! Imagine how much fun it would be to try and tickle a Hobbit's feet! (It probably isn't possible, though.)
Old 02-03-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
Mayla Took
Wight

Sting

Well, my costume is made after Irish dresses (not anything like kilts). It has a white blouse and a green/blue patterened skirt and a black corsett type thing with silver lining. It was origanaly made for me because of a international festivel I was going to be in but wasn't. It doesn't look hard to make. But it looks JUST like a Hobbit dress! I am still working on the feet and the ears! They don't look TOO hard to make or find. Have you seen any? Anyway, I live in a very small town, so the opening day of FOTR there were only about 20 people at our little theater! It was amazing! I got to the theater 40 min early so I would get a ticket (I was sure it was going to be packed)! I hpe it will be the same way this year!

"Fool of a Took! This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party. Throw yourself in next time, and then you will be no further nuisance. Now be quiet!"

Old 02-03-2002, 06:01 PM   #7
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I'm going to try and get my parents to get me to a midnight showing of TTT. If I con get to one of those I will definatly dress up. I just thought of somthing. I'm gonna dress my little brother up in a Gollum costume, put him on a leash and bring him to the movie like that. But I'm not sure who I'd dress up as. A hobbit would be cool! But what do hobbits wear?(other than no shoes.)<p>[ February 03, 2002: Message edited by: Rose Cotton ]
Old 02-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #8
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Oh wow! I want to dress up for TTT!! But probably none of my friends would dress up with me...Sigh...oh well! I'll dress up by myself! Probably some kind of elf costume..
Old 02-03-2002, 07:58 PM   #9
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well if i can get to a midnight showing w/some of my friends who *might* dress up w/me then i'll do it! but the possibilities of me getting to a midnight showing are pretty slim...so i think i might just go as myself during the day sometime. i really don't care what other people would say but i think i'd be more comfy anyway in human clothes
Old 02-04-2002, 12:32 AM   #10
Nazgūl Queen
Haunting Spirit

Nazgūl Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<center>I dont plan on dressing up...<P>But i AM looking for a Black Cloak and the sword of the Witch King... I'm already getting the One Ring for my birthday....
Old 02-04-2002, 02:35 AM   #11
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Heh, you could come with me Elvenglass! I seriously doubt that any of my friends would dress up and I'm pretty positive that I can't afford to make or purchase any sort of costuming. Now, if it was "Jurassic Park 4" I know I could get my best friend to come and dress up and I'd just borrow one of her costumes too! (Ah, I love those films! They're the only ones, except for "The Lost World", that are better than LotR.)<P>Of course, all this talking about dressing up just makes me want to do it. Any chance to dress differently is a chance I usually grab!
Old 02-04-2002, 03:15 AM   #12
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

well... you know, i'd love to dress up for TTT but i think my friends would definately disown me. unless there are any londoners out there who want to go with me i'm going to have to be subtle about it...

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 04:56 AM   #13
Maeglin
Wight

Maeglin has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I don't know any LOTR-freaky people like me so I would probably look very silly if I saw the movie dressed as a char. Too bad...
Old 02-04-2002, 05:18 AM   #14
Sindalómiel
Wight

Sindalómiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Sindalómiel
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rosa Underhill:<BR><STRONG>I saw "Harry Potter..." on it's opening day and that was enough for me. I don't know if I wanna risk seeing TTT on opening day; I might get hurt! I didn't even try to see FotR on it's opening day...<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw both Harry Potter and FOTR on opening night, if you know where to go it's not even crowded. The cinema where I saw FOTR costs $6 for a movie, as opposed to at least $12 other places, and the cinema was only 3/4 full.<BR>Some people went into the city and were paying $50 for a ticket....silly silly them. <P><BR>And I found a perfect Hobbit dress online, it's an Irish peasant outfit, it's lovely. Too bad I can't afford it. Plus I'd never hear the end of it from my friends if I got dressed up for a movie.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:34 AM   #15
Fembot

Sting

Of course I'll dress up, you've got to show some sort of commitment! And of course I'm coming as Eowyn, with a real lady's sword to match.
Old 02-04-2002, 05:48 AM   #16
Balefalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Balefalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

I'm going to dress up like a hobbitgirl!!!
Balefalathiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 07:05 AM   #17
Gayalondiel
Wight

Silmaril

God, I wish i'd known some of you Aussies beforehand! I was in Brisbane when FOTR opened, I went to see it with my brother and grandparents. would've been much more fun with some real middle-earthlings!

~C.S.Lewis
Old 02-04-2002, 09:19 AM   #18
Maltagaerion
Haunting Spirit

Maltagaerion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Well I DO have a kilt and a peasant shirt that I wear for the Renaissance Faire in my area but I don't think a kilt will work at the movies.
Old 02-04-2002, 01:27 PM   #19
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dūm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I screened (actually iron-on transfered) long sleeve t-shirts for myself and a friend for tFotR (Xmas gift). Understated and goes with jeans.<P>I made hers in green & gold on white. "A Elbereth Gilthonial" poem with English translation and Tengwar script version, bordered in green & gold leaves on the front. "Frodo Lives!" and "Cuio i Pheriain anann!" on the sleeves. (All info found here on the Downs.)<P>Mine is white & grey on black. The livery of the Guard of the Citadel on the front. "Lord Aragorn" in faded indigo & grey and "Elessar, the Elfstone" in green & grey on the sleeves.<P>Easy to do. Buy an inexpensive t-shirt (cotton or cotton-poly). Transfer works best on jersey, but I did mine on rib - not greatest for fine detail but OK. Buy Avery or Xerox iron-on transfer kits from office supply or computer supply store - next to the printable label stock or art supplies. They have kits for white/light colours and for dark/black fabrics. Design something on your computer or scan one of your drawings and you're ready to go.<P>Read and follow the directions. Note that a formica surface is required - process builds a lot of heat. (A 1950's or 60's dinette table is perfect.) Or get a sample or scrap piece of countertop from a kitchen renovation company. Depending on the transfer kit, you MAY need to print the design mirrored for lettering. (CTRL P > Print dialogue box > Printer - Properties button > Paper TAB > Paper Type - select Iron-on Transfer) <P>TEST! TEST! TEST! It's worth the money to "waste" a sheet or two testing on scrap fabric for iron temperature and times, as well as ink colour.<P>Give it a try! Have fun!
Old 02-04-2002, 08:10 PM   #20
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wow lostgaeriel that sounds really cool...and easy to do too! i've always wanted to make myself a lotr shirt! hmmm...i wonder what to put on it...and the shirts you made sound awesome, too
Old 02-04-2002, 08:16 PM   #21
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nazgūl Queen:<BR>I'm already getting the One Ring for my birthday....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <BR>Where do you get the One Ring??? How??? i want it yessssss precioussss we wants it!!<BR>uuum yeah ......i'm not crazy... hehehe<BR>
Old 02-04-2002, 09:18 PM   #22
Zippo
Animated Skeleton

Zippo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Zippo
Pipe

YOu can get it from....crud i wish my computer hadnt crashed. Well i will find the site and post it. the one i got was 50 $, but there are some that are like 1200 $ (ouch!). So ill find it and get back to ya!
Old 02-04-2002, 09:52 PM   #23
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

I will wear my black leather warrior boots, in honor of the men of Rohan. Hopefully I will feel at least semi-cool.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:54 PM   #24
Lush
Fair and Cold

Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Having said that, let me reassure you that boots will not be the only articles of clothing I'll be wearing.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:01 PM   #25
Rosa Underhill
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Eeeek! Must...make...costume now!<P>*shiver* I wouldn't want the One Ring or its replica anywhere near me! Yeeks! (Especially not since it means many unpleasant things to me.)
Old 02-04-2002, 11:45 PM   #26
Mayla Took
Wight

Thumbs up

Ha ha! Wow! I havn't been on the comp for a while now! (A while to me means about three days!) Too bad that we are all so "spread out" <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>'Like butter skraped over too much bread...'<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sorry, I just start qouting Tolkien sometimes! Anyway, I wish that we could all go together! I don't have any Tolkien crazed fans (such as I) to go with eather! Ha ha. Sindalómiel!! That is exactly the way it was a my theater. There were not many people at all! It only cost me 4$ to see the show befor six (which I couldn't keep from doing)! Lol. I am still working on making Hobbit ears and feet. What do you think I can make them out of if I can't buy them for a resonable price??

Old 02-05-2002, 09:29 AM   #27
Gayalondiel
Wight

Silmaril

I've just about mastered an elfin hairstyle,(Half-ponytail/plait with braids behind the ears), heehee! <P>Now all i need is some robes...

~C.S.Lewis
Old 02-05-2002, 10:20 AM   #28
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

Old 02-05-2002, 11:22 AM   #29
zifnab
Shade of Carn Dūm

zifnab has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lindolirian:<BR><STRONG><BR> <BR>Where do you get the One Ring??? How??? </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thenamir, can get you almost anything you want Tolkien related. He is found in the chat-room quite abit. Or you can visit his store at <P><A HREF="http://www.ebaystores.com/barrowdownslordoftheringsshop" TARGET=_blank>Barrow-Downs Lord of the Ring Store E-Bay!</A>
Old 02-05-2002, 11:52 AM   #30
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Nazgūl Queen:<BR><STRONG><center>I'm already getting the One Ring for my birthday....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Are you? excellent! That saves the bother of tramping around at the deepest bits of the Misty Mountains.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:57 AM   #31
Hama
Pile O'Bones

Hama has just left Hobbiton.
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Lush:<BR><STRONG>Having said that, let me reassure you that boots will not be the only articles of clothing I'll be wearing. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Damn, the men of Rohan were getting pretty excited there
Old 02-05-2002, 04:01 PM   #32
Lush
Fair and Cold

Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Hama:<BR><STRONG><P>Damn, the men of Rohan were getting pretty excited there</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wouldn't want to distract the men of Rohan from battle. It would be counter-productive to get an arrow lodged in your head just because you were too busy staring at me and forgot to duck.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:20 AM   #33
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
I'm glad you clarified that, Lush!<BR>I am having a friend make me a cloak. I also have my English riding boots and breeches, plus my pointy elf ears! You can find pointy ears at any costume shop. I am also getting a short sword for my birthday. <BR>My husband will probably divorce me, but I am going to see TTT and ROTK!!!
Old 02-06-2002, 07:19 PM   #34
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Boots

warning to all wishing to go as hobbits: see <A HREF="http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/viewft.cfm?uc_full_date=20011219&uc_comic=ft&uc_da ction=X" TARGET=_blank>here</A>.

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 03:31 PM   #35
Pips
Haunting Spirit

Pips has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hehe, my thought's excatly(On the comic in the post above or the link) It'll be too cold here to goes as a hobbit.<P>But I still dressed up for going to TFOTR, I went as an Elf, in a long white gown, a gold circlet, elven slippers. Bless the Drama department I work in! I design costumes for our small town Drama department that puts on plays for the town every 4 months.
Pips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 11:26 PM   #36
Enkanowen
Haunting Spirit

Enkanowen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

my best friend and I are going to dress up to see TTT, im probably gonna dress as a ranger (im too tall for a hobbit and not cute enough to be an elf)
Enkanowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 01:13 PM   #37
Starbreeze
Ghost of a Smile

Starbreeze has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Starbreeze
Eye

I found some really cool elven clothes and every time i go to see FOTR i wear them so i guess i will wear them to TTT.

To write is to make dreams, to make dreams is to awaken the fantasy of the mind, to awaken the mind is to be a master.
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 09:50 PM   #38
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Greets,<P>Another site does these things called 'Line Parties.' I got into FoTR on the evening of the 18th for a 'special screening by fan demand' (it opened here in Canada on the 19th) that was only announced in the newspaper that day. Apparently, not a whole lot of people read newspapers these days, so I'd say that the theatre was around 20% empty. I went and bought my ticket 4 hours in advance, went home, rolled some Longbottom Leaf, and paced my apartment for 2 hours before I went back to the theatre. I ended up being in the theatre an hour in advance! And the place was 20% empty. Oh well, better safe than sorry! No one was dressed up. There was no line party in my city, although there was one in Montreal. I am not far from Montreal, so possibly I will go there to see the TTT. If I dress up, it will be as Gandalf the White. Otherwise, I will be going as a geek.<BR>

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2002, 11:49 PM   #39
Luinear

Sting

I'm gonna make a grey cloak and leaf pin like what the fellowship got in Lothlorien. I've made two pins already but they are for my friends. I'll be wearing a pair of boots too.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:11 AM   #40
Waenfalathiel
Animated Skeleton

Waenfalathiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Me and a friend of mine will be dressing up as elves