Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 08:24 AM   #121
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I thought of it as an ordinary open one. Silas wouldn't really need a covered waggon in his line of work just a few tarpaulins to cover stuff if it was really wet.

Glad to know Willem has now located his trousers...

Or at least I hope he has...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-18-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #122
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
He's ba-aa-ck! And yes, he's dressed and c*o*l*d!!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:10 PM   #123
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Poor Willem. Those transitions must be the devil... especially when it is nippy...

But that was very funny. At least noone stole his boots like in Tess of the D'Urbevilles...

Edit
Sorry for the delay - I am working on something but I made a rod for my own back and handling four characters in one context is proving a bit of a challenge. Hopefully before the end of my day..

Last edited by Mithalwen; 03-20-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #124
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Take what time you need to get it as you want it.

I'm writing in the Market thread with Pio - working on some character types we might bring to the King's Players once it gets nearer to the play being performed.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #125
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I am going to be a little slow in posting since my break is over and, well, as you know I am usually slow... I don't have a huge workload but my time management has been awful lately!

Anyway will do my best to keep up!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #126
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Thanks, I will take a little longer, just didn't want to lose the momentum. The weekend didn't quite work out as expected...

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #127
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, as always take your time, Mith!

I was inspired to post instead of doing reading for class this evening...and so I also have a post waiting for an opportune moment when Karl accidentally wakes up Edwin.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM   #128
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh that is the worst thing to say to me...I respond well to deadlines ma faute, ma faute, elle est tres grande ma faute. But many apologies - RL got in the way in various not all of which were unpleasant.

And after all that, not much further on... though Willem has his coat back and the sincere thanks of the band of brothers even if their social graces are somewhat lacking...

Old 04-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #129
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Poor Jess! Karl will have to come visit her in her 'cage'...though he wouldn't dare help her escape for another adventure. Unless it was unwittingly.

I'm about to post. Let me know if you want me to remove it for later if more of the current discussion was desired before this interruption...
Old 04-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #130
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Poor Jess! Karl will have to come visit her in her 'cage'...though he wouldn't dare help her escape for another adventure. Unless it was unwittingly.

I'm about to post. Let me know if you want me to remove it for later if more of the current discussion was desired before this interruption...
Poor Karl! Jessamy still thinks he's great if it is any consolation. and she might have a certain power over Edwin if he doesn't want everyone to know he fainted and had to be carried .

Oh I can break up the brothers bickering if it is preferred.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #131
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

Your back! YAY!!

I'll be able to get a post on this evening.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #132
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Indeed - really sorry for making you both wait. Not done a purpose but I won't bore you with the details.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 AM   #133
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ooh Willem is much more of a grizzly than a teddy bear now. Wonder if all the bear references will click into place for someone Wonder if legends of skin changers have reached Bree?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #134
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Aww. *sniffs* This is heading toward a happy ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
Wonder if all the bear references will click into place for someone Wonder if legends of skin changers have reached Bree?
I do wonder that. I always find it hard to judge what my characters may pick up on, when I have more information than them I try not to put that information into their heads but I think sometimes I might go too far and make them a bit thick... Not in this case, though...Edwin and Karl definitely missed a lot of the clues hehe.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #135
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Still time for things to go awry but I suppose the fat lady may be starting her vocalise Have got rather fond of of this crew.

Seth's being a bit quiet and he got the full force of Willem's wrath. He is also the source of many of Jess' stories and has more imagination than his brothers. He is my best bet to guess. And be very freaked out. Or maybe Jess will and keep it to herself.

I keep thinking Jessamy is impossibly gullible and naive but she is still very young and has been sheltered. And clearly hasn't been taught not to talk to strange men...

Edit. Spooky, I have just looked at the first page of the thread and noticed that I felt Jess had a dash of VE Bott back at post 5 - which I had forgotten.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-07-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #136
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I am in no rush to *wrap things up*, and perhaps there is the possibility of another adventure in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
I keep thinking Jessamy is impossibly gullible and naive but she is still very young and has been sheltered. And clearly hasn't been taught not to talk to strange men...
I've not been able to help it but to think of Karl as the lone, creepy older man sort who's really not creepy but just misunderstood (like that's some shocking revelation...really what he's been like from the start). I wish there were more Karl's and Willem's in the world. Though I think there are more than get credit.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #137
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
I am in no rush to *wrap things up*, and perhaps there is the possibility of another adventure in the future!
I'm also enjoying this collection of characters!

Before we end this RP, I think I'll give Jess a little something as a remembrance and as a possible safeguard in times of dire need. I was thinking that it would be interesting if the characters were to meet when Jess was older and on her own - maybe on some adventure. She could use the memento to call for help and see who answers . . .

Old 04-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #138
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

A few Willems in the world would be interesting! Envinyatar's new avatar reminded me of one of our local characters, the snake catcher, Brusher Mills . When people asked him why he lived his life as he did he'd answer "I was born a gardener", but he was also born with a cleft palate and even if there wasn't quite a "Precious Bane" level of prejudice, it must have had an isolating effect.

I like the idea of Jess having another adventure. Despite the frights of this one I don't think she's put off them permanently. Need to think what might set her off again. And while she is unlikely to forget Willem she would love a keepsake. Especially since she didn't find any treasure in a barrow.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #139
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I like the idea of an adventure when they are older. Got a hint of Narnia at the thought but really not the same.

Sorry for not posting; lost my momentum and got busy with other things but I will post tomorrow!

What do you think we should do next? Start them heading back toward Bree and see if anyone can start a snowball fight?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #140
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Not too Narnia-ish I hope - I went off them deeply rereading them a year or so ago. Had to stop before I got to the Silver Chair since I couldn't bear it if I found I no longer liked Puddleglum.

I can tell you for sure that Seth for one is nowhere near brave enough to lob a snowball at Willem at the moment.... D But Bryn might easily lob one at a sibling...

Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #141
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well I'm a big liar. I suddenly started to realize I have just a few weeks left of the semester and that's made me even worse at time management. I'll post ASAP. If either of you feel like just moving things forward/starting something interesting before I post please of course go ahead. XD
Old 04-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #142
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well I am in no position to object! You do what you have to do. I might do a " meanwhile back at the ranch" type post somewhen.

Hope Master E hasn't been eaten by a bear though.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #143
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well I had the inspiration, shockingly. Didn't really move things forward, though, just added in some absurdity.

Yea, I do hope Evinyatar hasn't gotten bored of us, hehe.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:02 PM   #144
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Yes it would be much better for our egos if he has been eaten by a bear... Poor Envinyatar ... really hope he is just busyor bored and nothing bad has happened.

So.... just to check since natural history isn't my strongest suit Duke has found a porcupine?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #145
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Well of course I wouldn't rather he was eaten...fine fine, as long as he's safe and happy, I don't mind if he's bored of us. (Grudgingly, of course.)

Yea, sorry, it was a porcupine! Meant to actually specify...I know a dog who experienced such so I went with that so Duke would have an interesting re-entrance, lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #146
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well of course we mind, just trying to see the bigger picture and all

Dogs really are daft creatures... but we don't have porcupines here so I thought I had better check.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #147
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

*checks bare limbs for evidence of bear bites.....

I'm here......lurking.....have not been ravaged by anything ursine

I was just waiting for someone to move the storyline along. Once the dog is de-quilled do you want to get the troupe on the road back to Bree? Or we could have a wheel fall off one of the wagons and have to spend the night. Have a snowball fight in the morning?

Shall we dream up one last scare?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #148
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Aha! Didn't mean to call you out as if you should be posting or something; was just observing the last login date!

Quills...that's the word... ><

Anyway, I don't really have a preference. One last scare might be fun; I'll think on it. But whoever posts next certainly feel free to get them on the road to Bree. Sorry I still didn't manage to do that....
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #149
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Just bored then.

Phew... :S
Sensible Bryn has a way of conveying a bit of reassurance back to town stashed on teh waggon (along with food and blankets) if you fancy a night on th Downs. And Silas' waggon could be covered if it makes that easier. Don't think it contradicts anything atready written.

Anyway glad you aren't eaten.

Really.

but need more sleep.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #150
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Not bored - just couldn't figure out a reason why Willem would be prompting the group to get on the road. I think one of the brothers might need to start that dialog.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #151
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envinyatar View Post
Not bored - just couldn't figure out a reason why Willem would be prompting the group to get on the road. I think one of the brothers might need to start that dialog.

What beyond the fact that rescuing silly children wasn't on his to do list for the day and could they be removed ASAP so he can be left in peace to put his paws up in his caravan with a belated cup of tea? Jess may have even have left him a biscuit or two.

Anyway I have been mugging up wheel/wain working and am working on something. Will try and get it done tonight or tomorrow morning before Easter gets in the way.

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-21-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #152
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ok ..well Silas has suggested they get going, Seth is getting paranoid and Bryn has sitll got his hands full .... so as for the waggon related mishap - either a wheel can come off or Silas' might have damaged a strake during that carreer away from the bear. Prolly not designed for crossing country at speed. So either they can discover the damage before they set off ..or if not til they get to the road (I am not sure any of them would be keen to ride across the Downs alone even if they joke about 'Seth'sbear') then one of the brothers can ride back to Bree to put parental minds relatively at rest and bring back any necessary spares (strake, nails) in the morning. Meanwhile the others can have another scare and snowballs?

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-24-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #153
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Thumbs up

Just a quick hop through the Downs before heading off to Easter dinner with the family. I'll get a post up later this evening.

Have a good day, all!!!

Old 04-24-2011, 11:40 AM   #154
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Ah well just returned from "lunch" (took all afternoon) with my lot... pogged...

Thank you and "Happy Easter".

Edit: Hop? Playing Easter bunny now? :P

Last edited by Mithalwen; 04-24-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #155
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

So, that post I mentioned will have to be done tomorrow

Just got back from dinner and visit with the fam and I'm definitely all 'hopped' out.

(Always wondered if 'bear' was the only form skin-changers could take . . .)
Old 04-25-2011, 03:06 AM   #156
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

No problem.... sounds like you need a bit of recovery time ...

Hmm not sure. Elwing transforms into a bird but that is perhaps a rather different set of circumstances - by "grace" of the Valar rather than as an inherent quality. I know that Beorn seems to be a bigger bear than he is a man but somehow to me I find it harder to get my head around transforming into a creature of a radically different size - which is a bit silly if you have suspended disbelief enough to accept skin changing. I just have an image fixed in my mind of a six foot rabbit like in the James Stewart film "Harvey".

Old 04-25-2011, 11:36 PM   #157
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Posted!

Not the most brilliant offering, but it give the brothers room to consider camping there for the night.

About Skin-changers/shape-changers - there was an interesting, unfinished Gondor RPG that dealt with shape-changer history, culture, etc. - Here There Be Dragons

Not the most canon of games, but I really enjoyed reading it . . . wished it had played out to the end.

Last edited by Envinyatar; 04-25-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #158
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

I remember the shape changers...Pio played her shape-changer character in The Fellowship of the Fourth Age, as well...

I'll try to get a post up today or tomorrow...have two weeks left of the semester and then you'll have to put up with me more often...

So everyone will hang around for a bit while Duke is tended to and then they'll set off and we'll see if they make it back?

I'm looking forward to Edwin being returned to his father...hehe. Finally got an idea of who's waiting at home for him! Well, he's probably not at home yet but out drinking...so he hasn't noticed Edwin is gone hehe. And don't worry it's not an abuse story...
Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #159
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Well they came prepared to stay out if they had to so unless Dury has other plans we can find out what supplied they brought from the Prancing Pony and the waggon can malfunction another time.

I will have a look at Here be dragons - I hope the end isn't too tantalising...

And on the subject of ends - any more thoughts on the next Adventure?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #160
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Oh cross post - I got distracted in the middle! - I'll work with whichever you want.

Dury let me know if you need me to go back and alter anything if Edwin's dad is out drinking since Jessamy's dad was last seen at the Pony and her brothers left from there?