Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #361
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

*Arwen* has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Save for reworked post

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"
Old 08-31-2003, 03:25 PM   #362
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Green Dragon Inn Facts:

It is the 4th Age, year 12. By the Shire Calendar it is year 1433 S.R. (Shire Reckoning).

King Elessar is on the throne.

Paladdin Took, Pippin’s father, is Thain of the Shire. (Thain is an honorary title for the military leader of the Shire. The title has been held in the Took Family since the position was first established in 3rd Age 1979 with Bucca of the Marish as First Thain.) Paladdin Took dies in year 13, and will be succeeded by his son, Peregrin, ‘Pippin’, Took.

Samwise Gamgee is Mayor of the Shire, having succeeded Will Whitfoot in 1427 S.R.

The Innkeeper, in the Green Dragon Inn of this forum, is:

Aman – a young woman from Rohan. Before her, the Innkeeper was Piosenniel, and before her it was Dwarin, the Dwarf.

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Other ongoing characters in the Inn:

Derufin, a Man from Ethring in the Ringló Vale, is the stablemaster and general handyman/jack of all trades for the Inn.

Vinca Bunce, Hobbit – ‘Cook’ – widowed runs the kitchen

Ruby Brown, Hobbit – not married – server and maid

Buttercup Brownlock, Hobbit – not married – kitchen assistant and maid

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Ongoing characters from outside the Inn:

Halfred Whitfoot – local Shiriff and Postmaster; his pony’s name is Dumpling.

Amaranthas Bolger – very old, crotchety Hobbit from Hobbiton, nicknamed ‘The Dragon’

Piosenniel – Elven, Innkeeper prior to Aman; married to Mithadan; has two children: a twin boy and girl; as yet unnamed infants.

It is now mid afternoon and still lunch-time of a pleasant mid-summer day in the Shire.
Old 08-31-2003, 03:30 PM   #363
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Please read the PM's - Private Messages - I have sent you before posting again.

Do not post again until you have reworked what you have written and have read the Red Book of Westmarch topic.

Then PM me your reworked post before you place any more posts on the board. I will look at it when I have returned from work.

We would like to have your character visit the Inn - but you will need to be familiar with the rules for posting in the Shire.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

[ August 31, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"
Old 08-31-2003, 05:00 PM   #364
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Lira only dimly heard Esgallhugwen and it was only some time after the elf left that Lira came to herself and realized that she had been decidedly rude. Blushing crimson, she finished labeling the bottle that she had been absently holding in her hand for who knew how long, rose, and fetched a bowl of soup.

The inn was full of hungry tenants and Lira made her way slowly through the crowd. A wooden bowl in her hands, she waited her turn to be served. The soup had chunks of vegetables in it, and was strongly flavored with herbs. Lira smiled as she tasted it with her tongue. The Lady Esgallhugwen was a very good cook in deed.

Sniffing deeply, she shivered in delight at the delicious fragrance as she wandered outside looking for Esgallhugwen. She found her beside the stable, looking wistfully at the sky. The dark cloak no longer hung about her, and her dress fluttered lightly in the wind. Her aubern hair glittered like jewels in the sun and strands of loose hair drifted from her face, trailing in the wake of the passing breeze. "Mellon," she said, "the soup is good." She looked admiringly at the elf, glad that she had finally disrobed of her forbidding cloak and hood. "You look beautiful, Mellon," she said softly as she stroked her aubern hair. "No longer hide in the shadows. You are more becoming in the light of the day."

Old 08-31-2003, 05:41 PM   #365
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

"Melamin? Do you really mean that?" He didn't really have to ask; her eyes said it all so clearly. He wanted to dance, to sing, to shout to the world, She loves me!!! He did none of those things because for one, he couldn't dance, for two, no songs were forthcoming to his still foggy mind, and three, he was having a bit of difficulty getting anything out around the lump in his throat.

The tears were now flowing freely, but for once he ignored them. Taurewen loved him! She loved him, even though he left, even though he wasn't whole, even though--Careful now, he told himself. You're going to shred your already frail self-esteem. He laughed through his tears and suddenly the lump in his throat was gone and he couldn't stop talking.

"Oh, Taurewen, melamin, you don't know how long I've wanted to hear you say those words. Well, not those words exactly, I imagined something else; for one thing I didn't mean to leave until this," here he gestured to his wooden leg, "And then I just couldn't face you, but--melamin," he finally ran out of words. Except for three.

"I love you."
Old 09-01-2003, 12:39 AM   #366
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"I am quite sorry for the commotion, good lady," the Elf politely replied. "but I seem to have lost my ability to relate to other people. I lived the past centuries with no one for company but orcs, trolls, and wraiths. Now I am quite astonished to see a fair face or two. And this hunger of mine seems to add trouble.

I'll have dinner--one large enough for a hungry hobbit-lad, and some tea will help. And yes, I'll be saying here for tonight. Thank you!"

Old 09-01-2003, 08:25 AM   #367
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

Tiruviel looked around slowly at the new land she had entered. She had been walking for nearly three days since she had left Bree and she had not had any rest or sufficient food that would satisfy her hunger. The lack of rest was due to a disturbed night, under the canopy of a daunting forest, and the hunger was the result of not being well packed. But of course the She- Elf would never admit it, she was a little too stubborn and headstrong to admit her fault.

She smiled; this place had a warm, welcoming feel to it that she hadn’t felt since she had left Lothlorien. She decided that finding somewhere to rest would definitely be a good idea so she was relieved to see a small village rising up in the distance. The setting sun shone against her fair face, her grey eyes lit up with inquisitiveness.

All the houses were very strange; all she could see of them was doors in the mounds of grass that filled the village. She could see people lazing around in their little gardens and smiled. Now that was the good life. She pushed her long, blonde, braided hair out of her face and had another look around. Now here was a place that didn’t seem to care much for anything that happened beyond their boarders.

This is what she had heard about, The Shire. Where the hobbits lived.

She carried on walking until she found herself outside a friendly looking inn. She looked up at the sign and read the name: The Green Dragon Inn. She smiled, it’ll do!

So she leaned forward and slowly entered the inn. A musty smell of pipeweed and ale drifted over towards her. It was quite a large room, with a bar on one side of the room and tables and chairs on the other. It was not what she would call ‘packed’ but there were quite a few people sitting around chatting. She grinned again; she was going to enjoy herself here.

She weaved her way towards the bar and was met by a young looking woman. She smiled, “Greetings, my name is Tiruviel and I could really do with a refreshing Ale, if you would and a room if you would be so kind!”

The woman behind the bar laughed, “Well, you’ve come to the right place then! I am Aman and I am the Inn keeper” She handed Tiruviel the glass of beer and Tiruviel handed her some change in return. Aman gestured towards the chairs, “go and make yourself comfortable, you are very welcome here and Ruby will be along and show you your room..”

Tiruviel smiled and took the glass. After a quick glance around, she found a table and was soon relaxing and sipping the Ale. Ah, now to relax!

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #368
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman smiled engagingly at the elven woman as she handed her a drink and invited her to sit. The poor woman looked worn out - the Innkeeper decided she would do the room herself, but hadn't the heart to make the woman come all the way back to the bar when she looked so shattered - as if she would fall asleep as soon as she hit the chair, in fact. Hefting the large log book from under the bar, she noted the pen was gone for some reason and patted her pockets for another. Then, walking briskly across to the elf, who had just dropped into a chair with a sigh, Aman smiled apologetically.

"I do apologise, but if you could just sign in this log book for the room? I believe there is quite a nice one looking out to the East at the moment, a lovely view. Most rooms are three coppers a night, and can be paid for now or later." Aman gave the elf all the information at once, sparing her having to talk. Placing the log book on the small table beside the comfortable armchair in which the elf now said, Aman handed her a pen. "If you could just sign here, and here."

The elf - Tiruviel, Aman noted her name was - signed obligingly in a flowing, elegant hand, thankfully in the common tongue - in that graceful and italic joined hand, Aman wasn't sure she would have been able to read the elvish runes. Deciding not to ask the tired woman any more questions, the Innkeeper lifted the log book once more and returned her pen to her pocket. "Welcome to the Green Dragon Inn, Tiruviel. Whenever you wish to go to your room, or for anything else, just signal to me or to one of the two hobbit waitresses, Ruby and Buttercup."

"Thankyou." The woman smiled back gratefully, and Aman felt herself taking a liking to this tired (she stopped herself saying young woman) elf, and inclined her head to her before turning away, then stopping herself. "Oh, and will you be taking some supper? Soup tonight."

Despite her tiredness the elf nodded, gratified, and began to stand, but Aman held up a hand, smiling. "No need, I'll ask Ruby to bring some over for you." With a parting smile, the young Innkeeper departed. Seeing Ruby come out of the kitchen, she gestured for one soup, knowing she probably looked an idiot. Ruby raised an eyebrow and shook her head, laughing quietly at the Innkeeper's miming, before conceding and nodding.

Leaving the log book under the bar again, Aman lifted her skirts slightly at the front to stop herself tripping on them as she went down the cellar steps, and looked around down there - Lira had gone, but no matter, the elf had worked well with Aman today, and it would have been the worse for both of them if they had done this work for too long. Stepping lightly down, Aman replaced a few bottles that had been left out, and noted that, although they had done well today, there were still a fair amount of wines to be sorted. Still, it would all be worthwhile if it was for Pio - and the mysterious Mithadan, who the young woman would be glad to meet again, judging from their meeting that first night and morning.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:18 PM   #369
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
1420!

"Gold Man. For your hair." Uien raked away a shingle she had pulled.

"If you would have me call you by your name, Fair Uien," he grinned, "then I ought to have the same of you, but I mind it not. Laurëatan sounds better than Falowik."

"And Gold Falowik would say the same thing twice!" Falowik laughed, and stopped suddenly, for it was a thing he had not done in many months, or years - he'd lost track - and it startled him. But the smile remained. So did his curiosity.

"Now I must know why Derufin thinks you might throw shingles at Master Boffin."

"I had words for that distrustful Hobbit after you left the table." Falowik's brow rose. "The bread I placed on his plate ... bounced." Falowik almost began sliding off the roof for laughing too hard. "Mind the tacks!"

When he had regained his composure he said, "I wish I had been there to see the look on his face. Ow, I think I've ripped my trousers in three new places."

"He did not have much to say in return. Not that I gave him much chance to reply."

"No wonder you said Falco might be displeased that you're coming with the search party."

"He can argue little with the need for a healer."

"I think my trousers need healing."

"Maybe I'll teach you to do that yourself."

"You think I cannot mend my own pants? There is much I can do! I can find you the herbs you need from these lands-"

"Well I know it."

"-and I can track as well as any Ranger - well, almost as well."

Derufin called from the other side of the roof. The three met at the peak.

‘You two go ahead. I’ll come along later. Beren has already brought me some food, and I want to get the planks laid and sealed before this evening.’ He looked down at the progress they were making on replacing the shingles on the north side. ‘Well done, you two. You should be done by the end of the day.’ He waved them off and went back to the section of the roof deck he was repairing.

Uien and Falowik climbed down the ladder and made their way into the common room for lunch and a good ale.

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]
Old 09-01-2003, 03:42 PM   #370
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

See below

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
Old 09-01-2003, 03:43 PM   #371
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Teruviel finished off her beer and let herself sink further down into the seat. She had been immensely tired during the journey, but now she had arrived, she didn't want to go upstairs to bed. All these new people from different backgrounds, all with different stories to tell! Adrenaline pumped through her veins as she looked around the room and she felt all the fatigue falling away.

A shadow fell over her and the figure of Ruby came into her veiw.
"Hello my friend, one soup i believe?" Ruby grinned.
Teruviel smiled back at her, "yes, thankyou. Oh! And please tell Aman how grateful I am for everything she has done for me since i have arrived. I would have been stuck without her!"
"I will." Ruby turned and walked back to the kitchen.

Teruviel picked up her spoon and dug into the soup. She realised how lucky she was to have found such a welcoming place to stay. Aman was such a nice innkeeper! She made a mental note to leave a long thankyou message when she left.

Wow! This is good soup!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:57 PM   #372
Lelarix

Sting

Lelarix walked out of the green dragon inn onto the busy streets. She guarded her sais that were tucked in her belt that tied around her waist. she wore a short black skirt and a black top with one long sleve thats was tied together on her upper arm. her left arm was bare. she stood about 5'7" with long, thick,straight hair of light brown and blond. she had beautiful,emrald green eyesthat were outlined in black. She was a raider. Part ranger and elf, yet she did not have pointy ears like her mother.The only things about her that resembled an elf were her bow and arrow on her back and her hair. She walked to the stables and got her brown horse,ominay. She payed the people and left the town, looking for any groups from isengard and mordor which needed to be stopped.

Important note:

Lelarix,

I would contact you by private message, but you don't have your messages activated. We're very happy to see you posting in the Inn. However, your post needs to conform to the Red Book of Westmarch rules. You will find a thread for that at the top of the Shire screen.

The most important rules are as follows:

1. Posts must be a minimum of 2 paragraphs long with 2 sentences in each paragraph. Doublespace between paragraphs.

2. Check the spelling and grammar including use of capitals. If necessary, compose your post offline using word or a similar program to check for mistakes.

Please edit this post to comply with those rules, or it will be necessary for us to remove it from the thread.

We look forward to seeing your revised post.

Cami, Shire Moderator

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]

Lelarix

I would like you to look at the costume you have put your character in - characters in Middle-earth wear clothes much like those of medieval times - you will not find a woman with a short skirt on.

Also - since your character is Elven (or are you saying she is half-Elven [it is unclear to me] since half-Elven or half-any kind of character in the Shire Inn or games is forbidden) - she will NOT have green eyes. If you wish me to send my references for this to you, let me know. Otherwise, do as Cami and I advise:
  • Follow the paragraph rule found in 'The Red Book of Westmarch'.
  • Capitalize the words that need to be capitalized.
  • Drop the use of the word 'sai' - it is a martial arts term. If you read the Rules for posting in the Shire (The Red Book of Westmarch) you will fincd the use of martial arts in this tolkien oriented forum forbidden. You will simply have to describe them as knives of whatever length and structure you wish.
  • Change the costume to make it more Middle-earth compliant.
  • Change the eye color of the Elf to that of grey or we will accept a grey blue (Tolkien does specify grey)
  • Please read the Facts for the Inn, found on this page - It is the 4th Age, 12 years after the War of the Ring has ended. Isengard and Mordor are no longer a threat.
  • One further bit of advice, when you post in the Inn, your actions must stay inside the Inn or on its property. You may not have your character wander off and have a posted adventure which is beyond the confines of the Inn.
  • Do not attempt to run a stand alone game in the Inn , that is also forbidden. Read the posts on the page you are posting on, and try to fit into the flow of what is happening

Will await your revised post. And will again strongly advise you familiarize yourself with 'The Red Book of Westmarch', the first topic in the Shire Forum. Everyone who posts here in the Inn and in the Games is held responsible for following the rules found there.

~~ Piosenniel, Shire Moderator

Old 09-01-2003, 11:03 PM   #373
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

His food came. Elenrod sat by as Ruby served his food. "At last, good vittles." he thought as he took the spoon.

In minutes, Elenrod was grinning like a hobbit who just came from a feast. Not a crumb remained of the food on his plate. "Now I'm ready for anything." he thought as he looked around. "How about someone to talk to?"
Old 09-02-2003, 12:34 AM   #374
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Derufin climbed to the ridge of the roof, where the other two were waiting for him. ‘You two go ahead. I’ll come along later. Beren has already brought me some food, and I want to get the planks laid and sealed before this evening.’ He looked down at the progress they were making on replacing the shingles on the north side. ‘Well done, you two. You should be done by the end of the day.’ He waved them off and went back to the section of the roof deck he was repairing.

The old shingles and rotted substructure had been cleared away, the underlying timbers inspected and found to be in good shape. Using the saw that Beren had brought up to him, Derufin cut a number of planks to fit the length of the area and fitted them carefully together, securing them onto the underlying structure with nails. Once done, he climbed down the ladder, bringing the saw with him. He hung it back in the stable near his workbench and went to the storage shed that stood outside the side door. A bucket of resin was the object of his search, and having found it, he took it into the kitchen to warm by the fire.

Cook eyed the bucket as he sat it on the hearth, then nodded as he explained the use of it. Two cookies, and a mug of tea and the resin was declared pliant enough to be spread on the roof. Stuffing an apple in his shirt pocket Derufin made his way back to the ladder and started up.

A familiar voice called out to him. ‘You’ll have to come back down if you expect to get this letter today.’ Derufin looked over his shoulder and saw Halfred standing there, waving a slender, folded piece of vellum at him. ‘I don’t like heights,’ he heard the Hobbit say. ‘Otherwise, I would climb up to you.’ Halfred waved the letter at him, and even at this height he could recognize the bold hand that had addressed it.

‘A moment,’ he said, hanging the bucket on a hook that hung from the eaves, and climbing back down the ladder. With a small bow, Halfred handed over the letter, and was rewarded in kind with a bow and a smile from the man. He left the man to the reading of it and made his way back to the Common Room for a bit of refreshment.

All thoughts of resin and plank seams fled as Derufin leaned back against the ladder and opened the note.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:43 AM   #375
Arien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

“Ah The Green Dragon Inn,” he whispered under his breath, so his journey had led him here. His dark looked up at the old sign that swayed gently in the evening breeze; it swept up his dark hair and the danced with a few leaves on its way down the path towards the setting sun. He stared at them for a while, the soft shining light caressing his face, then he looked down to the gravel path and then up towards the door. A stay here for a few nights would be sufficient, then off again. Maybe back to the North, or to Bree he had not decided yet.

The man pushed the door open in to the Inn, it was nothing new. It was an Inn what else could he say. He nodded to the Innkeeper at the bar.

“Welcome, I am Aman the Innkeeper,” she said, “And how may I help you?”

“A room please, and an ale if you would,” he said pushing a pouch of coins on to the bar. The Innkeeper smiled at him and opened up a large logbook in front of him, he signed his name and took the ale she had poured in the meantime.

“Do you wish to have a meal?” Aman asked taking the logbook and pen, outing them both under the counter.

“No I am alright for now, maybe in the morning….” He said as he looked around the common room for a place to sit. Aman drew back his attention though.

“Ok then when you are ready come over to the bar and I will have someone show your room.”

“Could you possibly show me now?” he questioned, he did not disrupt Aman right now but he needed somewhere to set his things down.

“No problem,” she said cheerily. And so with key in her hand he followed her upstairs to his room. The corridor was small, but cosy. She stopped ant a door at the far end, “here we are, if you need anything…..”

“I’ll ask,” he finished, Aman smiled, handed him the key and started to walk back to the bar, “Oh and thank you,” he called down the passage. He put the key into the lock and turned it opening the door slowly. A fire was already lit and a double bed was set in the centre. He walked in and closed the door behind him. He threw his things onto a chair near by and went the window at the far end and set his ale on the windowsill. He stared out of it for a few moments and then sighed maybe here would be more gracious towards him.

He turned and headed for the common room with the mug of ale in his hands, he shut his door behind him and slipped the key into a pouch on his belt. He did not change from his travelling clothes, for one he saw no point he would be leaving soon and he didn’t feel comfortable in his other clothes. He preferred to wear his mail shirt underneath his foresters green tunic and dark green trousers than wear something of a richer nature.

He looked around the common room for a table; there was one with a She –Elf. An Elf! He had not seen one since he left Ithilien and for some reason he was glad to see one. He walked to the table and courteously asked.

“May I sit?” the She- Elf nodded and smiled. She was radiant, her fair skin glowed and her blonde hair floated passed her shoulders. And her eyes were grey and deep full of curiosity but full of sadness. “I am Caranel, a ranger of Ithilien,,” he bowed politely and sat down opposite the elf. “And you may be?”
Old 09-02-2003, 03:59 AM   #376
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

“Tiruviel,” she smiled, “My name is Tiruviel.” Caranel nodded thoughtfully and took a large gulp of ale,
“And what brings a pretty she-elf like yourself to these parts?”

Tiruviel launched herself into her past and before she knew it, she had told this stranger everything: about Lothlorien, her departure, her wanderings and all of her many ‘adventures’ that she had had in the last 12 years. She hadn’t meant to go on for so long, but there was something in his eyes, they were deep and understanding. She couldn’t help but tell him everything.

By the time she had got to the end, she was feeling slightly embarrassed. Why did I go on like that! He only asked a simple question – he didn’t want my life story! Caranel slowly finished his ale and looked up, “ Now that is what I call a story,” he laughed. Tiruviel felt all her fears dissolve away as she joined in with his laughter.

“Do you want another ale?” he asked kindly, “we seem to have leaky glasses!” Tiruviel laughed again, “That would be great!”

She watched as he went over to the bar, and took the chance to have her first proper look at him. He was tall, very tall in fact, and well built. He had dark hair and dark eyes and he was wearing dark clothes and a long black cloak. He looked mysterious, she thought, and had probably had many adventures in her time. She felt a rush of excitement as she thought about what his life must be like. She found herself longing to hear about his adventures and hoped against hope that he would be willing to tell them!

She was awoken from her fantasies by the heavy thump of a large glass of ale being placed in front of her. He was back. She watched as he sat down in his place opposite her and started on his ale. She knew that it would be rude to ask him to tell his story, so she fought inside herself to try and find a question that could start him off. She was just about to give up hope when Caranel placed his ale on the table and said,

“Right, now I guess its my turn!”

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
Old 09-02-2003, 04:13 AM   #377
Elora
Shade of Carn Dűm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"The look on his face.... let me see if I can recall it so that you may see it," Uien said with a curve of her lips to Falowik. A lightness of spirit was floating within her, a lightness that had not been hers since... since.... she shied away from the memory of that dark, cold place, where time knaws at the roots of the mountains and there are foul things. Instead, she returned to that lightness. It was Falowik. She surfaced with a description of Falco's expression as she tossed the bread on his plate in her ire.

"The Shiriff did not know where to look first. He was torn between staring in outrage at me as I made my thoughts known and dismay at the bread that threatened to flee from his plate and be spoilt.

A pretty twist for a hungry Hobbit - bouncing bread or an irate tablemate." Her smile had not slipped. Instead it widened. The very fact that Falco had chosen to keep an eye on her until she had left and not his food painted an amusing picture. Hobbits and the victuals are not easily parted, by angry Elves nor the ending of the world.

Falowik and Uien had reached the ladder that leant against the eaves. Both were smiling openly at Falco's conundrum. A lightness of spirit.... yes, it was Falowik that gave her that and held the other heaviness at bay. In part it was that gladness that fuelled her humour. After initial silence, the two had fallen into easy conversation as they had worked.

"To have seen that," Falowik chuckled.

"It may happen again if the Sheriff continues as he did at the table. I cannot remain silent in the face of such behaviour."

"Indeed not," Falowik observed drily. Uien shot him an amused glance, corners of her mouth quirking in laughter. It wasn't until they had reached the bottom of the ladder that their conversation resumed.

As they walked towards the inn, Uien flicked at the worn state of her skirt. "I have some experience in mending clothing torn." She smiled down at her skirts, each mend testament to her growing experience. "And it could be said that I was unwise to make merry on a rooftop. I should remedy for the damage I caused when you were laughing so hard you slid..."

"This is true... had you not bounced your bread on Falco's plate," he said lightly as they climbed the stairs to the inn.

"And so the offer is made. I will heal your breeches," Uien continued as they walked through the door and entered the bustle of the inn. Falowik was given a chance to ponder what Uien may have said to Falco, and why she had even seen fit to do so, as they searched out a table and claimed it.

Ruby breezed past as they sat. "Ale for you and," she said looking meaningfully at Uien.

"Cider, please. And lunch, if there is any left," Uien finished, hopefully.
"I'll see for you. No unwatered wine this time," Ruby quipped.
"Not yet," Uien replied, cheeks faintly flushing as she recalled the events of the prior evening.
"A cider and an ale it shall be. Shall you be throwing lunch again, Uien," Rubby asked drolly. Uien shook her head in reply. She watched the Hobbit speed off. Business was brisk at this time of day.

When Uien turned back to Falowik, she seemed to have sobered somewhat from her earlier levity. That Ruby had heard of events suggested that Falco may now be heartily displeased with Uien and moreso with Falowik than before. In her haste, Uien had not considered this consequence.

"I hope I have not done you a disservice with the Shiriff, for that was not I intended," she said with concern. Falowik studied her for a moment, as though wrestling with an urge both to speak and not speak.

"What did you intend?" His voice was quiet and eyes intent. Uien blinked and bustle of the inn faded as she replied.

"To see a wrong righted, Falowik. Honour and worthiness should not be so easily besmirched by a Hobbit.

I think though I would have done better by you to have remained silent. You will prove the Shiriff wrong well enough with your tracking. The missing Man will be found."

No artiface nor hesitation was in her words or face. Ruby reappeared to slap the ale and cider down. "You're in luck. Lunch is on it's way," she hurridley stated before darting off to another table in need of ale.

"Worthiness and honour..." Falowik repeated. "Is that truly what you see?" Incredulity was in his question.

"That and much more," Uien replied quickly, cider, ale and lunch for the moment forgotten. She realised how bold she had been when one of Falowik's golden brows arched. She became less certain then. Had she stepped too far to take such a liberty? Had she? The frozen moment, surely it said that she had not. Yet, just as she saw him surely he saw her.

Her cheeks flushed and her gaze dropped. Surely he saw the one left behind by her own kin. The one who wandered into darkness. Could he make out the marks of their claws upon her skin, the stain of their unclean presence. Surely he did. The lightness that was Falowik floated still within her and Uien yearned as never before that the heaviness she carried with her was not hers and the past could be undone.

Falowik was silent, her last ardent words still hanging in the air between them. Hasty and unwise as she was, she had painted it clearly for all to see. A man of worth and honour and she reaching towards him when she had no place to do so. Uien waited for the sound of Falowik's chair being pushed back so that he could walk away. It was what any Man had a right to do.

Yet, she sat still, torn between her certainty of what would happen and her desperate wish that it would not. Let him stay, she said fervently within her mind. Let him overlook all he sees and stay. On the wings of that hope, Uien dared look up once again at Falowik.

"I do not mean to offend and twice now this day I have wronged you," she sadly said as she looked upon the source of lightness and hope that sat across from her. Falowik's ale was untouched. She laced her fingers together on the table and inwardly reached towards what she had no right to drag down the darkness of her past.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight
Old 09-02-2003, 06:40 AM   #378
Arien
Shade of Carn Dűm

Arien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Arien
Question

“Right, now I guess it’s my turn!” he laughed placing his glass down onto the table. He leaned back casually in his chair and fumbled with his belt unconsciously. “Well, what can I say?” he said softly looking up at Tiruviel. “I am travelling North to visit the rest of my kin, I left Ithilien a year ago and spent some time in villages along the way. In fact I have just come from Bree where I stayed for a month. It was interesting.” He smiled.

“It is nothing of course compared to your tale, but come tell why did you leave such fair woods a Lothlorien? I have dreamed of going there, but alas it is now empty. And the radiance that once was there has gone, fled over the sea from this forsaken land.”

“Forsaken?” Tiruvial question with concern, “I do not think such a thing! These lands are just beginning to blossom, joy and happiness will come from them. That is certain. As for Lothlorien, yes its radiance has fleeted and the mystique that Galadriel and Celeborn held over it has gone with them.” Her eyes glistened, so she missed her home, but she defiantly defended the world she had now taken on. He admired her. “I left to explore, it is not enough to be shut up I want to feel free, to adventure. I did not pass over the sea with my mother and I still stand by my decision.”

Tiruviel dropped her head slightly and then looked up at him again. “You speak bitterly, why so?”

“Aye, I do. Maybe too bitterly, but I have had some experience of the darkness of the world. That I do not wish to tell you, maybe because I hate to relive it. Or maybe because I do not want you to hear it…..I can not tell….but..”

“It is ok!” she smiled, “I would not have you tell me, here we are complete strangers I have no right to know!” she laughed, and he smiled back in thanks. They sat and talked for a while he liked her company immensely and she was a pleasant change from the company he normally found himself keeping.

“Excuse me?” a voice came from behind him, he turned round to see the maid with a bowl of soup and bread in her hands, “This is for you.”

“Oh, thank you!”

“Aman thought you might be hungry,” she said.

“Well thank her for me, it seems she may be able to read my mind!” Ruby walked off and he turned back to Tiruviel. “Will you have some?”

She shook her head, “No thank you, I have already eaten, although it is lovely soup,” he took a sip.

“ ‘Tis indeed!”
Old 09-02-2003, 12:16 PM   #379
elf-girl-63
Haunting Spirit

elf-girl-63 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nuinyulma had been watching the events in the inn for a couple of hours and had long drained her glass of water. As she watched n, half-thinking, half-listening to the conversations around her.

Suddenly she heard the word 'Lothlorien' mentioned. Could it be? Could it be that here in The Green Dragon Inn there was someone from her old home? Even if the name they gave was old and no longer used? She turned to see who the speaker was. At the table was a young elf-maiden with shining blonde hair and a man clad in green. She had seen them both arrive- the elf nearly collapsed but after some soup was revived and the man had gone straight to a room but had soon come down. It seemed all very odd to Nuinyulma but she was not one to criticise.

AFter a few more minutes of sitting, Nuinyulma felt peckish again and asked Ruby for some soup. It smelt delicious and after her first bite, realised her senses were right.

After eating, she looked up and saw the elf and man were still talking but Nuinyulma longed for some company. However, it seemed rude to interrupt so she didn't and instead patiently waited for someone new to arrive and hopefully to talk to her (although it did seem doubtful).

All that is gold does not glitter...
Old 09-02-2003, 12:45 PM   #380
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Aman noticed the girl sitting alone in the corner as she re-entered the room and noticed also her subtly longing glances towards the pair who talked of the Golden Wood, smiling and laughing together, talking easily as if they were old friends. But the elven girl soon seemed to resign herself to being alone, and that simply would not do.

But there, an oppurtunity had come; the man who sat with Tiruviel seemed about to stand, picking up the glasses and asking her something. The elf held up a hand, standing, apparently insisting that she herself went. And the elf in the corner had long finished her glass of water. Aman seiezed the moment as Tiruviel began to weave her way around the tables towards the bar, catching the other elf's eye and gesturing as if she was drinking, eyebrows raised. The girl seemed to hesitate, evidently shy, before nodding thankfully and starting up towards the bar, clutching her empty glass.

Aman turned, with both an inward smile and an outward one, to Tiruviel as she reached the bar. The elf smiled back, nodding politely as she placed the glasses on the counter.

"Same again?"

"Please," came the happy reply. Aman glanced up at the elf as she took the glasses and was glad to see she seemed much revived from earlier on, her face glowing with happiness (and probably drink as well). Shooting a look across the bar as she began to fill the first glass, Aman noticed the quiet elf had reached the bar as well and was quietly waiting. She made a point of looking up and smiling at her, thereby drawing Tiruviel's attention to her as well.

"Good day, what can I get you?" She inquired politely. The elf smiled quietly.

"Just...just a water, please?"

"As you wish." Taking the glass from the elf, she put it to the side, finishing filling Tiruviel's first glass and starting on the second. Now to start the wheels of her plan. Looking up at Tiruviel, she nodded towards the man who she had been sitting with. "An old friend maybe?" She smiled.

Tiruviel laughed. "Nay, certainly not - rather a new aquaintance."

Aman nodded politely, smiling, her eyes still on the glass. "Really? Ah, but you wouldn't have known it from the way you talk so easily together, if I may."

Tiruviel smiled, shaking her head. "No, of course. He...well, we have found something in common." Her smile was a little sad as she said this. Aman shot a quick glance towards the quiet elf who still stood at the bar, flickering her eyes towards Tiruviel as she looked away. It would be a perfect moment if only the elf would seize the chance to inquire about Lorien...
Old 09-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #381
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

After a few minutes of conversation with Esgallhugwen, Lira turned and headed to the Inn to dispose of her soup bowl, the contents of which she had just finished, and to return to the cellar. She saw Aman behind the bar and that two elves were in front of her, glasses newly filled with drink. Aman herself seemed poised, as if waiting for something. Lira smiled and made her way into the kitchen. Washing her bowl and putting it away, she turned to Cook, complimented her on the meals she had eaten in the inn, and drifted out the door.

She crossed over to the cellar, her feet making sound upon the plush lawn. Descending the stairs, she stopped and breathed deeply and began to sing a song that the elves had frequently sang in Mirkwood. It was merry and full of good cheer, and soon the cellar rang with the sound of her haunting and beautiful voice.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:43 PM   #382
Esgallhugwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Esgallhugwen has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Lira gave her praise of the soup, Esgallhugwen hoped it wouldn't be too Elvish for Hobbit and even human stomachs. Lira said goodbye that she would return to the cellar to finish more work. After a few more moments basking in the warm rays and light breeze she stood, flicking off a few of the wet blades of grass that clung to the back of her tight grey-green pants that forest Elves usually wear to camoflauge in the wild,
wear in battle or on the hunt.

She sighed heading into the Inn after visiting with Morsereg, new people were there; she saw them passing by on the road though they did not see her or Lira, as was to be expected. The Inn was thick with the smell of the soup; Esgallhugwen heard here and there praises.

She smiled briefly and went to the bar to ask for a mug of cider. Aman the Innkeeper was up to something; waiting for something to happen, Esgallhugwen could see it in her eyes. She sipped on the cider,

becoming in the light of day Lira said to her No longer hide in the shadows. Esgallhugwen thought on these words 'to hide in shadows or am I a shadow?' she said deeply partially out loud taking hold of her pendant 'do not shadows flee from the light? Therefore I may not be a shadow, though I cast shadows and darkness on other things? I would try not to, but shadows hide in other shadows'. Esgallhugwen paused taking another drink, the sweet cider drizzled down her throat smoothly refreshing her.

'Menelariel Luinhith....mother...; You said I was the light; golden fire in the sun, silver flame under moon, star-gleam some called me, Elenglin.

'I am the light that was taken by shadow' Esgallhugwen uttered softly, the bustle humming about her.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:25 PM   #383
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

"Worthiness and honour... Is that truly what you see?"

"That and much more!" Her reply came quickly.

Falowik knew better. He did not think that Uien deluded herself. How was it that he was showing himself to her in such a different light? Light! It was her doing. As long as she was his lodestone and Light, something that he had not known to be within him came forth readily.

Uien grew quiet and looked down at her cider; a shadow seemed to pass over her face as unknown thoughts took her inward. In that moment Falowik saw the quiet Elfmaiden of the night before, and something melted within him the more. She looked up at him; her face was fervent and stricken with fear and seeming grief.

"I do not mean to offend and twice now this day I have wronged you!"

Is that all her fear? Maybe it was what floated on the surface of her gravity, but there was much more to her than that. There must be! Falowik looked into her eyes, wishing with all his might that he could find some way to gladden and reassure her. Her eyes flitted to his untouched drink and she laced her fingers, and drew inward again. Falowik reached out and took her two hands in his.

"You have not offended me even once this day, fair Uien!" He gave only passing heed to the urgency in his own voice, for he cared not how he seemed to others, only to her. "You are the one who makes me honourable, and you give me all the worth I own!"

Her eyes glistened and a smile played about her lips.

"Nay, Laurëatan, I see what others do not, to their loss."

"Fair Uien." He raised her hands in his and brushed her fingers with his lips. An exquisite shiver passed through him at the feel and the scent and the restfulness of her hands in his. His eyes did not leave hers, and the smile did not leave her face.

Two loud thuds broke their revery. "Two lunches!" Ruby announced. Falowik let Uien's hands slip from his.

They ate and drank in silence, happy to be in the moment, knowing the lightness that passed between them, calm in the sureness of the regard each had for the other. Falowik broke the silence after a while.

"I would know more of you, Uien. Tell me what pleases you, and then I'll take a turn if you like."

She tipped her head to one side, her eyes inching upward to the ceiling as she took inventory of her memory, choosing what thing first to tell. A wry smile came to her face and she opened her mouth to speak when she was interrupted.

"I know you!" It was Halfred, licking his lips after finishing a meal and a drink or two. "Cleaned yourself up a mite, I almost didn't reckanize you. The wanderer, is it?"

"The name is Falowik."

"Looky here, Falco gives me to unnerstand that you an this Elf Lady, pardon I don't know your name, ma'am-"

"Uien."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance. Falco tells me that Uien and you are a-goin' on this man hunt with us."

"That's right, and we leave before nightfall, I believe."

"I'll not have it so," Halfred replied. "I need time to gather the best Hobbits for searching, and that'll take a few days. Four at the most, I figure. So you sit tight here while Falco and me go pickin' and choosin' the right sorts for this here manhunt."

"Very well, Master Halfred."

"And you might take the op - por- tun-ity -" Halfred relished the big word "-to recruit a good soul or two."

Falowik gave his assent to try, and Uien as well. Halfred bid them good day and left. Falowik turned back to Uien.

"You were about to say..."
Old 09-03-2003, 11:56 AM   #384
Dynaviir
Wight

Dynaviir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dynaviir was a little put out by the question. What answer could he give?

"I was far away from my home for a while.. but I went back to Gondor. My travels were weary, and so I have come here - as far as I can go - to relax. There is little more too it."

That, of course, was a lie. He shrugged it off. Novardion was trusting, or so he had thought. He would assume the story was correct. Dynaviir smiled at Niniel, this was more or less the story he had given her, and had felt a little ashamed that he wouldn't tell her much more. The same problem lay nowwith Novardion.

Dynaviir looked at Novardion a little curiously. 'Fair lady' was a term the man had used too often in the past.. he wondedered if his old ways had stayed with him.

He surruptitiously rolled his eyes to himself. He sipped his coffee and looked up as a man appeared.

"Pardon the intrusion, m'lady." The man had laid a hand on her shoulder, and she looked startled. Dynaviir's hand moved to his hilt. It was instinctive. But Niniel looked up, and seemed to relax as the man's face came into her view. Dynaviir stared fixatedly at the man. "I'm sorry, m'lady. I didn't mean to startle you."

"I-i-it's all right. W-w-won't you j-j-join us?"

Dynaviir watched the man closely, and then noticed that he was not a man, but an elf; hidden behind a hood which had hidden it's owner from view. Dynaviir didn't loosen his grip. His eyes met with the elf's. The elf seemed welcoming, and his eyes passed away as they turned to Niniel, who spoke.

"Th-th-this is Soronume," she said smiling. Dynaviir loosened. His hand left his hilt and went back to his mug. He tried to smile at the elf; the elf hadn't seem to notice his wariness. Niniel smiled too, and Dynaviir felt a little more at ease, knowing the elf wasn't a threat. Niniel gestured to him. "A-a-and th-th-this is Dynaviir, and th-th-that is Novardaion."

Dynaviir finally managed a full smile at the elf, but Soronume was looking and greeting Novardion. Dynaviir wondered if he had noticed, since his friend had been introduced after him, yet was greeted before. Dynaviir shifted his eyes quickly, and smiled at Niniel instead. She seemed to be looking into space, smiling to herself. It made him feel better to see her smile. He subconsiously stroked his pendant. He took another sip of coffee. It was almost empty.

"..and, Dynaviir," the elf said. The elf smiled at him in greeting. For the first time Dynaviir noticed the look in his eyes, the wisdom and calm of his presence. He now felt slightly guilty to have been so hasty. But he felt now like.. he could barely trust anyone.

Dynaviir regained his smile anyway, and shook hands with the elf. Maybe they could be friends after all. His gaze met again with Niniel, and she smiled.

But somewhere inside him, Dynaviir didn't feel quite comfortable. In some ways, he felt out of place. He was a changed man from the one Novardion had known, he wondered if he could meet expectations. Somehow, for no reason, he envied the elf for his aura. He ignored the thought, and pushed it aside. He was not a jealous man. This elf had done nothing to him.

Smiling still, Dynaviir said; "It is a pleasure to meet one of your kind, my good elf. I hope we can be friends. How is it that you know Niniel, if you don't mind my asking?"

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Dynaviir ]
Old 09-03-2003, 12:21 PM   #385
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

This topic has reached its 10 page limit.

Please continue in The Green Dragon Inn - Part 6.

CLICK HERE FOR INN #6

Thanks!

Pio, Shire Moderator

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]