Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2003, 05:04 PM   #41
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I'm still with you as well, Lyra. Welcome back! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:00 AM   #42
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sting

Yay!! *hugs Lyra*

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Welcome back!
Old 09-01-2003, 10:27 AM   #43
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Hooray, I'm finally back properly! Thanks to everyone for bearing with me, by the way. Now- to business:

We're still waiting for Elven Warrior and Burzdol to confirm they still want to be involved in the game.

Sophia: Bert and Tansy are great. I will need a first post, but since it doesn't necessarily have to be at the beginning of the game, you can take your time if you need to.

Durelin: Dury's great, you just need to add a conversation where he convinces Paladin to let him go on the mission.

Elven Warrior and Burzdol If and when you're both back, you need to start discussing what you'll be doing for the first half of the RPG. You have plenty of freedom in that!

Imladris, Arvedui- Same for you.

Dragon Elf odin Ragnorock - I was wondering, would DEOR be OK with you as a shortened name?

Anyone who's browsing- We still need at least one character so come on! Also, if you fancy being evil, you could make up an "evil man" character in case one or both of Elven Warrior and Burzdol don't come back. Or a trio of bad guys would be great, anyway!

I'll be back later! (Today [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] )

[ September 01, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-01-2003, 01:10 PM   #44
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I was thinking that Olo and his buddies could have a few more conferences with Bill Ferny to discuss Paladin and the troubles he's caused and maybe have them go to the farmer before Paladin's people do. Maybe show them looting "legally" the other hobbit holes, etc.

Btw, I'm also in another game, the Lingering Darkness. I wouldn't have mentioned it except the character description asks for it.

Old 09-01-2003, 02:22 PM   #45
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Imladris, that would be great. There's no reason to go after Bert and Tansy particularly, but you could go around all the farmers in the area or something. You should contact Sophia if you want to interact with her because she chose to do a secondary character- it's up to her if she wants any more interactions than the main trading one.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #46
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

I can't make much more of this part than a cameo, Imladris (and Lyra), because of right now my comptuer access is limited and I am in two other games. I would prefer keeping Bert & Tansy's appearances rather limited, but I could do a post early in the game interacting with the Shirriffs, so long as it doesn't turn into a large subplot.

Sophia
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Old 09-01-2003, 03:19 PM   #47
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

*Arwen* has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am happy to be an evil badguy, but can someone send me a PM saying roughly what i am supposed to do as a badguy. This is my first RPG (if I get it) and i am a bit worried.

Thankyou for your help.
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"
Old 09-01-2003, 03:28 PM   #48
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

I didn't mean particularly Sophia's farmer family...well, that is what I had in mind originally but it could work with other farmers that weren't played. Actually, it'd probably be easier that way.

Cheers. Imladris

Old 09-01-2003, 07:20 PM   #49
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hey, welcome back, Miss Greenleaf. I am also a bad guy/henchman, and I am wondering also what I am supposed to do.

Burzdol
Old 09-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #50
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

*Arwen*

Please read the proposal for the game on the first page, very carefully. It tells you what is happening in the game and what sort of charcters Lyra wants. Then read the character descriptions and First Posts that others have submitted to get an idea of what you need to do.

Pick a character type you want to play - do a character description for it and then a First Post that fits in with the other First Post of similar type characters (for you that would mean looking at the 'bad guy' characters that others have done).

~~ Pio, Shire Moderator
Old 09-02-2003, 03:12 AM   #51
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Great to see you back, Burzdol. Basically what you want to do is up to you and your fellow evil doer. You can come up with some sort of plotline based around either who you are (personality clash in a simple storyline, for example) or an action, such as hunting for a certain Hobbit/ family of Hobbits/ some other task of Ferny's. Right up until the Shiriffs find you to tell you of the pipeweed mission it's completely your choice!
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-02-2003, 04:57 AM   #52
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Well here you go – one evil henchman!

NAME: Ahriman

RACE: Man

WEAPONS: Longbow and two ordinary knives (one in his right boot and the other in his belt)

APPEARANCE: He is a tall man (about 6’0”) and he is well built. He has a mass of dark hair down to his shoulders and very dark eyes. He has a small scar on his left cheek. He is wearing a dark brown tunic, tied at the waist with a piece of rope, and black trousers. He is wearing a long black coat and grey leather boots. He does not wear armour.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is a very cunning man and so rarely every gets caught. But, when in a battle situation, he sometimes doesn’t think before he acts.

PHYSICAL STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He has very good senses and a very good aim with his longbow, he is also very fast. He is not as good at close combat as he is with his longbow but he can manage.

HISTORY: He never knew his mother and his father was a henchman. He was killed when Ahriman was very small. He gets most of his fighting skills from his father who used to teach him ever since the age of 4. His father died when he was 6 and a half. He spent most of his life as a thief and often killed for money. He was employed by Bill Ferny a year ago to help will a job and hasn’t seen him for over 3 months. This is his first meeting with him since then. He first met Ferny during a fight outside the prancing pony where Ahriman won and Ferny called him aside to ask him to join them.

25th October

Ahriman slowly slid out from behind the tree and crouched in the undergrowth as he watched Helios leave. He hadn’t seen Helios since the day he left Ferny either, I wonder what Ferny is up to?
He waited until Helios had disappeared into the darkness before he slipped out and into the darkness of the building. He could see the figure of Ferny in the corner and wondered whether he had seen him yet.

“Ah, Ahriman, I wondered when you’d be getting here.” Ferny turned and grinned a yellow-stained toothy grin.
Ahriman stepped out from the shadows,
“I see you haven’t changed a bit Ferny, still as sharp as ever.”

Ferny gave another of his grins and beckoned Ahriman over. He came obediently; it was not a good idea to get on the wrong side of Ferny – especially when he has positioned himself between you and the door.

“What up then Ferny? Why have you called me here?” Ahriman tried to stay control of the situation. He was not going to let Ferny walk all over him, not like last time.

“We seem to have a few hobbits that won’t submit to Sharkey. I really need some help to control them. I have already sent Helios out to find them and I would like you to join him. You two are my best – I know I can rely on you.”

Ahriman sneered, he had never liked Helios.
“What about the pay? It was really rubbish last time. I’m not working for that little money again!” Ahriman was starting to feel good. That would show Ferny.

“Do not worry my lad, just take this list and go.”

Ahriman sneered and grabbed the paper.

“So its just me and Helios?” he asked, he wanted to be sure.

“Actually, no. There is one other man. His name is Assiram, do you know him?”

Ahriman remembered vaguely hearing the name from someone, might have been Helios.

“Don’t think so.” He said, pushing the crumpled paper into his pocket.

Ferny turned around to pick up another piece of paper that had fallen of his lap.

“Ok then you can….” He began and then stopped, Ahriman was gone. Ferny leaned back in his chair slowly, a smile forming on his lips. This was going to be good.

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
"There she walked before his eyes in Rivendale, clad in a mantle of silver and blue, fair as the twilight in elvenhome; her dark hair strayed in a sudden wind, and her brows were bound with gems like stars"
Old 09-02-2003, 06:39 AM   #53
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Arwen,

Hi! I'm Cami Goodchild, one of the moderators in the Shire.

As game founder, Lyra will look over your profile and assess it, deciding whether or not to accept your character into the RPG. However, there was one point you need to correct even before that.

In a relatively closed world like Middle-earth, you can't describe a bandit from Bree as having Corsair parents in a purely local tale such as this. Umbar is simply too far distant from Breeland for that to happen without an extensive backstory and explanation which wouldn't be practical in a short Shire game.

Please revise your bandit to have local roots and heritage. Lyra will be in touch with any other comments and suggestions she has.

Also, as part of the profile, you'll need to answer the following questions:

Quote:
1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs?

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in?

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – Which one?

Many thanks for clarifying these points.

Cami

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #54
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

*Arwen*- The character is great, and you're accepted pending answering the three questions that Cami put up. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] One thing (and this is completely up to you) is that his name is very similar to Assiram. That's fine if you're happy with it, but could possibly get a little confusing.
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-02-2003, 10:06 AM   #55
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

*Arwen* and Lyra

Please check your PM's.

~~ Piosenniel Shire Moderator
Old 09-02-2003, 12:26 PM   #56
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

Sorry about forgetting there [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? No

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? None

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? Yes – Which one? The Green Dragon Inn

I am really glad you like Ahriman!
(I choose the name Ahriman for its meaning 'evil spirit' but if you would really like it changed i will)

[ September 02, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
Old 09-02-2003, 12:52 PM   #57
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

If you're happy with the name, I'm happy. I suppose I could ask what such a ruffian is doing with an Elvish name but I think that's just nitpicking! Welcome to the game! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #58
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lyra,

If it's possible, I'd like to play one of the Shirriffs. As you can see from my profile and first post, Hob is not quite as friendly with the "newcomers" as the other Shirriffs who'll be playing in our game. Hob's situation falls in line with how Tolkien described the bulk of the Shirriffs: "most if them were in it against their will." Hob dearly hopes that, by the end of this tale, he will find a way out of his predicament.

Also, could you clarify the specific time frame of this story? One of the posters alluded to Sharkey's presence. Since Saruman came to the Shire in late August 1419, that means the RPG would take place sometime between that date and the end of October when Frodo and his band returned. Lotho (the Chief Shirriff) is probably dead, eaten by Grima, but most hobbits (even the Shirriffs) wouldn't know that yet.

Is that right?

Also, Hob would be my main character, but he may make brief references to his fiancee Cami or even do a cameo scene or two with her, if that fits in. (Their relationship was established in the original Star RPGs.)

Character Description Form:

1.) Have you ever played in an RPG at the Barrow Downs? – YES - Which one? Voyage of the Lonely Star, Castle Maladil, Hobbit's Gift, The Long Winter, Hunt for the Dragon, Revenge of the Entish Bow (cameo), etc.

2.) How many RPG’s on the Barrow Downs are you currently involved in? Please note you may play in only 3 games at one time.

1. Corsairs and Corsets (ends 9/20)
2. Shadow of the Star (three more posts to go once the thread is fixed!)

I am involved in planning for Breelanders All, but this will not go up until the Star RPG ends.

3.) Have you posted in The Green Dragon Inn or in The White Horse in Rohan? – YES – Which one? Both

For your character please include:

NAME: Hob Fields

RACE: Hobbit - Harfoot

WEAPONS:

As an experienced farm lad, Hob wields a mean cudgel, or stave, to ward off attackers. Growing up with a passel of Tooks in the wilds of Tukborough, he also learned how to handle a bow. However, he is far more accustomed to hunting animals like deer or coney than shooting at men or hobbits.

APPEARANCE:

Hob is in many respects a typical hobbit. He has an open and trusting face, and stands about 3'9" with shaggy brown curls and big brown eyes. His skin is nut-brown, as is true of most of the Harfoots. He is of medium build, but with a bit of a paunch about the waist, the result of too many good dinners served to him by his mother and by his young fiancee Camelia Goodchild.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES:

All in all, Hob is a mild-mannered fellow who likes to spend his time enjoying his pipe and chatting with friends rather than being asked to enforce a whole series of preposterous rules that the Chief Shirriff recently set down. He is too frightened and confused to challenge this situation, although he wishes he had the courage to do so.

Despite his everyday appearance, Hob is actually quite a bright lad. He'd better be! He has the unenviable task of convincing those about him that he supports the dictates of the Chief and Sharkey.

HISTORY:

Hob is one of the rare Shirriff holdovers from earlier times who's trying to adapt to the new regime. The younger son of Larkspur and Robin Fields, Hob grew up on a small farmstead on the outskirts of Tukborough, a member of one of the few Harfoot families amidst a sea of neighboring Fallohides. His parents made their living by raising pigs and mushrooms in the wooded groves of the Green-Hill Country.

Upon turning thirty-three, Hob decided it was time for a change. He moved to Stock, a village in the Northern Marish, just south of the Brandywine Bridge, where he'd served as Shirriff for the past seven years. The first six were happy ones. The position gave Hob a chance to walk round the countryside, start up conversations with any number of good folk, and learn where the finest beer was. Even better than that, he had been just a stone's throw from his beloved Cami Goodchild, a young lass who worked as a nursemaid at Buckland Hall. Cami had kept Hob coming and going in recent years with her inability to decide exactly when the couple should get married.

But in the last year, his situation had worsened. The Chief Shirriff--Lotho Sackville-Baggins--had made endless lists of rules and employed a network of "sneaks" who made life miserable for many of the Shirriffs. Worst of all, Cami as a long-time enemy of Lotho (see Hobbit's Gift RPG) had now laid down the law to Hob, threatening to cut off their engagement unless he resigned from his job as Shirriff. Hobb would happily comply, but he does not want to end up in the Lockholes. So he is truly at a loss as to what he should do.

First post:

Hob crouched lower in his seat as he saw Bill Ferny pick up the paper with the names of the Shirriffs who were being sent to Tookland to "put the Thain in his place". He could not think of a worse assignment than this. All his old friends from home would see what he was doing in the employ of the Shirriffs and give him a mighty earful.

Plus, he couldn't imagine standing up to the Thain. It would be downright rude and ungrateful. On any number of occasions, Paladin had graciously extended a helping hand to his parents to get them through the tough times. He remembered being caught stealing a chicken out of the Took's henhouse when the drought was on, and his little brother was so hungry. Not only had Paladin agreed not to punish him; he'd actually had the missus roast the bird in the oven with that nice, savory gravy she made so well and send it home with a little note for his mother that didn't even mention what he'd actually been doing. It made Hob's mouth water even to think about it.

But that was not the worst of it. If he went to Tookland and harassed the Thain, his bride-to-be Cami would certainly learn what had happened. And she would not be pleased. Cami had practically grown up in the hallowed halls of Bag-end, learning her letters and numbers at Bilbo's kitchen table. She had been friendly with Frodo and his friends before they'd gone away, and was sure to complain about any ill treatment of Pippin's father, the 'mighty' Paladin II.

Hob crouched lower as the names were read off to the assembled Shirriffs, groaning quietly under his breath: Olbard Stonetoe....Olo Underfoot. Those hobbits were great admirers of Ferny and his crew, the sort of Shirriffs who might even be snitches. Whoever went with them would have to watch their back.

Hob closed his eyes tight and clenched his fists around the arms of his chair. Then he looked up in shock as Ferny read out the final name on the list....Hob Fields! Hob Fields? Hob moaned inwardly, then plastered a smile across his face and hastily jumped up. "Oh, yes sir. Thank you, Mister Ferny. I'll be pleased to help carry out this important duty." Inside he was screaming a loud 'no', but that would get him nowhere except the Lockholes. If he valued his neck, he'd better play along with Ferny and the other Shirriffs and try to see where all this was leading.

Old 09-02-2003, 05:40 PM   #59
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Sting

Child- You are most certainly accepted. And any cameos will be fine. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] As for dates...

There's been a few logistical problems resulting in minor changes. I'm sorry but I'll need one or two people to change little bits of your posts. This is the outline of the whole game, I hope it's OK...

25 October- this is when Burzdol, Elven Warrior and *Arwen*'s posts are set but before the actual game will start.

26 October:
  • Bill meets his men in Bree, gets them to start walking to the Shire and sets off on a horse himself.

I will write a very short post for Bill setting this up. One very short paragraph. The evil men will NOT being writing for this period of the game- this is still prequel.

27 October- Imladris and Arvedui's posts are set, in the evening.

28 October: THE GAME STARTS
  • Paladin's announcement
  • Paladin's interviews- Nil, Durelin, Manan and DEOR's posts
  • The Shiriffs are briefed- Child's post
  • The men reach the edge of the Shire

I'll do one more short paragraph for Bill as he instructs the Shiriffs- including telling them to go and watch the Tooks (covert surveillance) and wait for the men who will meet them there.

29 October:
  • The Resistance mission pack
  • The Shiriffs travel through the Shire, camping near Great Smials in the evening
  • The men travel through the Shire, but don't reach the Tookland

30 October:
  • The Resistance mission set off in the morning, heading through Green Hill Country towards the Shirebourn
  • The watching Shirriffs are sure they're up to no good and follow
  • The men continue their journey- wreaking as much havoc as they so wish. They reach the Tookland and can't find the Shiriffs. It's up to Burzdol and Arwen what they do!
  • Both the resistance and the shiriffs camp near to the Shirebourn for the night

31 October:
  • At some point in the day the resistance spot the shiriffs. They have a confrontation, during which Josh tells them what they're doing- he wants the shiriffs to join them. Only Hob does. The others dash off to find the men.
  • The men do whatever it is they're doing. Perhaps terrorising the Tooks? That would be the right area.
  • The resistance camp near Longbottom. Everyone else camps wherever they are (?)

1 November:
  • Trading day for the resistance and Sophia.
  • The shiriffs find the men. They set off after the resistance.
  • The resistance camp near Longbottom. Perhaps on Sophia's farm? The men don't let Olo and Brass camp. They walk through the night (which serves them right [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

2 November:
  • The resistance know that Olo and Brass will come after them and decide to set off straight across country.
  • However they've only gone a few miles when they meet the men (and an exhausted Olo and Brass). They are forced to fight, but manage to escape.
  • They continue to the Tookland- the men and shiriffs can do as they like from now on!
  • Since they're keen to get home, the Hobbits keep walking and reach Great Smials at the same time as Pippin- about midnight

November 3:
  • Pippin, with Josh and Hob (Falco, Dury and Tim will have to decide), go off to fight the battle of Bywater at dawn

CHANGES (Sorry):
- ARWEN- Please could you change Bill saying that he wants you to collect money to saying that he needs help controlling the Tooks.
- BURZDOL- Could you please change this line: "They're not giving him all they owe" to "They're not giving him the respect they owe".
- ARVEDUI- After the word "Okay" could you please add that Olo says "Meeting with Ferny tomorrow at the usual place" or something similar.
- IMLADRIS- Could you also add that Bill mentions a meeting in the morning.

Elven Warrior- If this is OK (mods?) I thought we'd keep Assiram as a character and Burzdol and Arwen can carry him- just use him in your posts, but stick to his personality of course! That way if Elven Warrior comes back there's a character waiting.

EVERYONE- I hope this is OK? Can you tell me any problems or mistakes please?

Pio or Child- Will I need to do a bio for Bill? Perhaps a secondary character type of one?

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-02-2003, 06:04 PM   #60
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Lyra - just do a very brief secondary type character bio. including what you think his age is, what he looks like and dresses like, any weapons, any quirks you want in his personality that aren't in the books.

When would you like the game opened?

And what will be the order of the posts you want placed on the game when it does open?

Just leave a list here on the discussion thread.

~~ Pio

Final List of Characters

Hobbits sent by Paladin from Great Smials

1.)Manardariel - Tim Bracegirdle
2.)DEOR(Dragon Elf) - Falco Proudfoot
3.)Niluial - Niluial Brandywine
4.)Durelin - Dury Greenhand

Shirriffs

1.)Imladris - Olo Underfoot
2.)Arvedui III - Olbard "Brass" Stonetoe
3.)Childofthe7thAge – Hob Fields

Bill Ferny’s henchmen.

1.)Elven Warrior – Assiram
2.)*Arwen* – Ahriman
3.)Burzdol - Helios

Secondary characters:

Farmer/Farmer's wife

Sophia the Thunder Mistress - Bert and Tansy Fairbanks

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-02-2003, 06:08 PM   #61
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

That's fine, Lyra. As per requested, my first post has been edited. Can't wait for the game to start.
Arvedui
Old 09-02-2003, 06:26 PM   #62
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I have done the change you wanted.

Burzdol
Old 09-03-2003, 05:53 AM   #63
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Here's a bio for Bill:

Name: Bill Ferny

Appearance: Swarthy, yellowish and scarred skin; dark greasy hair; small dark eyes; a semi- permanent leering grin is fixed on his face; he is quite short and skinny and wears dirty stained clothes.

Weapons: A stout cudgel, belt knife and a bow he only half knows how to use.

History: Bill was born and brought up in the Breeland. His father was a lazy good for nothing- his mother (who was relatively normal) made a big mistake marrying him. Originally she tried to change her husband and bring her son up right, but eventually she gave up and Bill became everything his father was and worse. Both parents died when smallpox hit Bree, when Bill was 16. He survived with scarred skin. Since then he has lived by doing the least possible, mostly illegal, in a sort of “wheeler-dealer” role. He hates Bree and everyone hates him. Envoys from Sauron (mostly half orcs) found him eager to make more money by doing even less, and score a point back on certain party of 4 Hobbits who humiliated him…

Character: Greedy, lazy, driven by revenge, loves to see people suffer, manipulative, cowardly, ruthless, disloyal… Everyone has to have at least one good point- but Bill’s is not going to show up in this RPG!

These are the posts for him-
26 October
“Well, will you tell me the pay now?”

Bill smiled in a way that had nothing to do with amusement. Here was Helios, and he could see the shadowy figures of Assiram and Ahriman approaching too. Waiting until they had reached him, Bill named a figure.

“Are you joking?” Ahriman asked, without amusement.
“You’ll be going after the richest family in that rich little land” Bill added lazily. “You might not even want to claim your pennies”

He watched as one by one the men in front of him nodded or grunted assent.
“Very well” he said with a vague approximation at haste. “I’m off on horseback, Sharkey’s orders, to get a few of Sharkey’s little feather-capped stooges to help you out. It’ll take you four days to get to where you’re going. Known as the “Tookland”, right?”

After a few more mumbles of comprehension Bill repeated his hollow smile and walked off to get his nag for the journey back to the land of rich pickings.

28 October
“I need to talk to the chosen Hobbits” Bill announced after the usual duty postings and reprimands. “The rest of you get back to duty”

He watched the three who remained in their seats as the rest filed out silently. Two were of the new order, the future of Hobbits. One still seemed to resist. His loyalty would have to be tested or his spirit broken.

“Well” he said with a leering grin “you’re all very lucky. Them Tooks have had far too much freedom to disrespect our Chief, but you will at last get to put them down. You’ll set off tomorrow morning and watch them. There’s a few men who’ll meet you there. And when all the Tooks are… gone you’ll have the chance to fight it out with my men over who gets the booty!”

He watched the looks on the Hobbit’s faces. They all looked a little uncomfortable. Might be fear, could be that they didn’t want to do it.
“Any problems?” he asked, leaning down threateningly.
“No no” they all said hastily.
“Go on then” Bill answered, and watched them scurry out the door.
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 AM   #64
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Pio, the order for posts is:

25 October:
Elven Warrior- Assiram
Burzdol- Helios
*Arwen*- Ahriman

26 October:
Lyra- Bill Ferny #1

27 October:
Imladris- Olo
Arvedui- Brass

28 October:
Child- Hob
Lyra- Bill Ferny #2
Lyra- Paladin
Manardariel- Tim
Niluial- Niluial
DEOR- Falco
Durelin- Dury

Imladris and Arwen haven't changed their posts yet though. Also, would you be able to put the dates on them please?
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-03-2003, 07:10 AM   #65
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Lyra,

I just wanted to say what a tremendous help that detailed outline is. I've never done an RPG before that covers just 7 days! That will be interesting. And I can see why we all have to be on the "same page" so to speak when the time frame is so condensed.

One comment about my character. Cami will agree to set a wedding date near the very end of this RPG, either in a letter or in person. Hob will be delighted and decide to step forward bravely and go off and fight at Bywater. It will eventually turn out that he is one of nineteen hobbits who dies that day. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

I've also dropped you a pm with a plot question.

Cami
Old 09-03-2003, 08:46 AM   #66
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Dude! I check the Shire all day yesterday (which was rather slow) nothing in the world happens until I'm asleep. First post has been edited but what do you mean by the dates? The date of the meeting? I'm sorry.

The edited version is in the paragraph where Bill mentions Tookland I think when Olo threatens a horse or something. Towards the end.

Old 09-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #67
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Imladris, I don't know what it is about the dates that's confusing you but I hope this helps... There are two reasons why it has to be so specific. Firstly because it has to fit into the Battle of Bywater, for which Tolkien gives a date, and secondly because of all the travelling involved- especially from Bree. And of course, like Cami said, because the action is so condensed. If you're still confused, could you be a little more specific?
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-03-2003, 11:40 AM   #68
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

Okay. I understand why it needs to be so specific; I understood that from the outset. I was wondering what dates you were referring to (Shire Reckoning, human dates,...?) I suppose you mean the October 27 one, when my first post will be posted. I have edited it in and if that is not what you want, PM me. I am sorry if I'm being really stupid.

Old 09-03-2003, 11:42 AM   #69
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

LYRA

Take a look at the closed Game Thread and see if that is how you want it done.

GAME IS HERE

Then - just let me know here, when everyone is done editing their posts, and I will transfer them.

~~ Pio [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #70
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Imladris

Look in Appendix B of 'The Return of the King'.

There is a section there titled: "THE CHIEF DAYS FROM THE FALL OF THE BARAD-DUR TO THE END OF THE THIRD AGE"

The year is 3019 (Steward's Reckoning) or 1419 S.R. (Shire Reckoning) for this game.

Tolkien lists November 1st as the date Sharkey is dispatched and the ruffians driven from the Shire. November 3 is how he lists The Battle of Bywater - which is the endpoint for this game.

All the action for this game takes place in the week just previous to this battle - focusing on the rousing of the Tooklanders to join in the fight when Pippin returns and gives the Call to arms.

"Winterfilth" would be the Shire name for October.

Here is a fun interactive calendar to play with:

INTERACTIVE CLAENDAR

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #71
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Pio: Thank you, that's perfect! The only person still to edit is *Arwen*.

Imladris I think I understand you now (as Faramir did not say [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ). The dates I meant were the ones like October 27 (as you said), but it was meant for Pio. Sorry for the confusion!
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-03-2003, 01:17 PM   #72
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

ok. what would u like me to edit? just put a date on it?

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: *Arwen* ]
Old 09-03-2003, 01:22 PM   #73
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Sting

ok i understand...is the edit ok?
Is that the only post im gonna need to do?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #74
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Tolkien

It's okay about the confusion and thank you Pio for the link and info. I know what happens it's just that I am horrible with dates (even with real history!). So thanks again for the info! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2003, 04:41 PM   #75
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

Arwen that's fine. All the posts are ready Pio!
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-03-2003, 10:06 PM   #76
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Bringing this forward:

Outline for the Game

25 October- this is when Burzdol, Elven Warrior and *Arwen*'s posts are set but before the actual game will start.

26 October:
  • Bill meets his men in Bree, gets them to start walking to the Shire and sets off on a horse himself.

I will write a very short post for Bill setting this up. One very short paragraph. The evil men will NOT being writing for this period of the game- this is still prequel.

27 October- Imladris and Arvedui's posts are set, in the evening.

28 October: THE GAME STARTS
  • Paladin's announcement
  • Paladin's interviews- Nil, Durelin, Manan and DEOR's posts
  • The Shiriffs are briefed- Child's post
  • The men reach the edge of the Shire

I'll do one more short paragraph for Bill as he instructs the Shiriffs- including telling them to go and watch the Tooks (covert surveillance) and wait for the men who will meet them there.

29 October:
  • The Resistance mission pack
  • The Shiriffs travel through the Shire, camping near Great Smials in the evening
  • The men travel through the Shire, but don't reach the Tookland

30 October:
  • The Resistance mission set off in the morning, heading through Green Hill Country towards the Shirebourn
  • The watching Shirriffs are sure they're up to no good and follow
  • The men continue their journey- wreaking as much havoc as they so wish. They reach the Tookland and can't find the Shiriffs. It's up to Burzdol and Arwen what they do!
  • Both the resistance and the shiriffs camp near to the Shirebourn for the night

31 October:
  • At some point in the day the resistance spot the shiriffs. They have a confrontation, during which Josh tells them what they're doing- he wants the shiriffs to join them. Only Hob does. The others dash off to find the men.
  • The men do whatever it is they're doing. Perhaps terrorising the Tooks? That would be the right area.
  • The resistance camp near Longbottom. Everyone else camps wherever they are (?)

1 November:
  • Trading day for the resistance and Sophia.
  • The shiriffs find the men. They set off after the resistance.
  • The resistance camp near Longbottom. Perhaps on Sophia's farm? The men don't let Olo and Brass camp. They walk through the night (which serves them right [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] )

2 November:
  • The resistance know that Olo and Brass will come after them and decide to set off straight across country.
  • However they've only gone a few miles when they meet the men (and an exhausted Olo and Brass). They are forced to fight, but manage to escape.
  • They continue to the Tookland- the men and shiriffs can do as they like from now on!
  • Since they're keen to get home, the Hobbits keep walking and reach Great Smials at the same time as Pippin- about midnight

November 3:
  • Pippin, with Josh and Hob (Falco, Dury and Tim will have to decide), go off to fight the battle of Bywater at dawn

The Game is now open for play! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Please remember to DELETE your signatures for every post to the Game.

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 09-04-2003, 11:08 AM   #77
*Arwen*
Animated Skeleton

Silmaril

ELVEN WARRIOR AND BURZDOL

I have started the game and now you two posts need to get the 3 men to the border of the shire ok?

And of course we need to meet up with Assiram.

We are gonna have some fun with them i think [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2003, 01:42 PM   #78
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

*Arwen*, I'm not sure whether or not you understand this but by the time the game starts (ie now) you've already been travelling for two days. You should probably be only about 10 miles from the edge of the Shire.

Everyone- Just to clarify, it is currently late afternoon (perhaps 3 or 4 PM) on the 28th. Both the Shirriffs and the resistance mission have free time at the moment, perhaps to get to know each other, or do anything alone that you wish.

Manan, Nil, Durelin and DEOR- If anyone is unhappy with being included in my post tell me and I'll edit you out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ September 04, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
the Forbidden Link
Old 09-06-2003, 08:49 PM   #79
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

My first post is up. I've asked Olo and Brass if they want to join me for some weed and ale. Imladris and Arvedui -- you can respond or not as you see fit....

Lyra -

Can you tell us when there is a change of days? Maybe with some kind of note in bold either on the game and/or discussion thread. I think the hardest thing may be coordinating people's action so the different groups are on the same day at the same time in the game!

I am also putting the date at the beginning of my own posts as Pio did. Don't know if that will help or not...

I can imagine a situation where someone will need to respond to a particular situation on a given day, and the game will already have moved forward to the next day. Maybe in that case, Pio or I could paste the post in earlier?

We have six and a half days to cover in the story: Oct. 28 (Half day), Oct. 29, Oct. 30, Oct 31, Nov. 1, Nov. 2, Nov 3. The game is about 6 weeks long. So, should we be aiming to do a single day (game time) in 6-7 days (real time)?

If that's the case, we could even put some tentative dates for finishing sections into your great outline. Of course, the dates would probably need to be revised a hundred times but that's to be expected.

Don't know if anyone else would find this helpful or if it would just be a headache for you! You can decide what's best.

Cami

[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 09-07-2003, 05:00 AM   #80
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Silmaril

It's a great idea to put dates on the outline, even though they're unlikely to stick. Also I can't believe I forgot to put the date on my post! I was going to.

Yes, notes for the change of day will be crucial with such a tight schedule. Plus I always prefer them anyway as it helps to know whether you should be talking about dark sky, or bright sunshine, or going to sleep or something!

Pio, what's the actual real life finish date of the game please?
the Forbidden Link