The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-23-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Admin Thread WW: LXXXIV Disaster by the Lake

The setting for this village will be in Dale, at Lake-town. The events of The Hobbit have passed, and the Lake Men are attempting to rebuild after Smaug's desolation, but it obviously attracts other unwanted guests as Dale rebuilds.

Also, anyone joining please choose an occupation (town crier, notable miscreant, armorer, guard...etc). The occupations will just help me write narrations. Since Dale is also a bit of a trade hub, you don't need to be from Dale. You may be a visiting dwarf or elf character.

Roles

Wolves (likely 3) - Wolves can PM at night and choose ONE villager they want to kill. Wolves win, when the number of innocents is equal or less than the wolves' number.

Cobbler (Moneybags) - The Mayor of Lake-town is up to trouble again as he counts as an innocent, but desires the wolves victory. The wolves promise rich reward for those who help, and the Mayor will never turn down handsome compensation for a bit of treachery. (I'm leaning towards Moneybags being a normal cobbler, but if somehow the number of players gets up to 15-16+, he'll become an cobbler-spy. One who can spy on a person each night and discover if the person is lupine or no.)

---

Seer (Roac) - Normal seer, I just have role named as Roac for theme purposes. So instead of "dreaming" this seer will have a faithful raven to go spying ONE person each night. The raven then reports back to the Seer on that villager's role.

Ranger (Gwaihir) - Like the seer, Gwaihir is a normal Ranger (again for theme purposes ). Selects one person to protect each night, for the wolves dare not cross paths with a great eagle. Can not protect the same person two nights in a row. And the Eagles being a proud race, Gwaihir can NOT protect him/herself.

Hunter (Bard) - A Logical Hunter. Bard's bow is true, so he can only take down a wolf. Bard may choose ONE person to hunt each night. He can NOT hunt the same person 2 nights in a row, and can NOT change the hunt during the day. If Bard is lynched/night killed and the person he hunted is a wolf, both die. If the person is innocent only Bard dies.

----

Do the

++Bold

for voting and no retractable votes.

I believe that settles the roles and set up. We'll have time to discuss what start day and what DL works the best after Thanksgiving. Cheers everyone. Have a great feast (huh, the one time a year everyone can be a wolf. )

DL is 8pm EST (1am GMT)

VILLAGE

Boro (Mod)... Man of Dale, King's Secretary

sally... most prestigious musician and poet of Lake-town
Inziladun... local furrier
Greenie... undertaker
Pitchwife... shepherd
Lottie... candlestick maker
Kath... baker
Bom... cobbler
Nerwen... Town crier
Kitanna... cooper
Shasta...notable miscreant
Nogrod...wine-merchant from Dorwiniondil
Galadriel55...cook
Aganzir...baker's wife

Last edited by Boromir88; 12-04-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In. So much in.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Count me in as the local "furrier", as Bilbo calls it.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
Count me in as an undertaker, if you would.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Now that will give beforehand the answer to future questions, which undoubtedly shall arise, like: "I suspect sally and Zil, so who is furrier?"

As for my participation in the game, it looks fabulous, but I am not sure if my timetable will really put up with that, unless it started only post-11th December. Which I assume it won't.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I won't sign up yet, because my situation is like Legate's. However, if you'll need another player to start, I'll be in as a cook. (I cook better than I cook, right? So don't lynch me!)

Quote:
Now that will give beforehand the answer to future questions, which undoubtedly shall arise, like: "I suspect sally and Zil, so who is furrier?"
Old 11-23-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm in as... tadadada... a shepherd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I did that when I was younger, and it was a bad move.

Also, the numbering of our games seems off. We were in the LXXXs a year ago, I think we should be in the XCs now.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
I did that when I was younger, and it was a bad move.
What do you mean? That was a great game!
Old 11-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
Also, the numbering of our games seems off. We were in the LXXXs a year ago, I think we should be in the XCs now.
Last game was the 88th, if I remember my Roman numerals correctly. So this one should be 89, not 84. That's LXXXIX, right?... Whatever.

I just had a thought: it would be uncannily fitting if Shasta and Boro switched games...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-23-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I've been missing this, so I'll play. I may be a bit busier than I'd like, but I'll try to play as much as I can.

Oh, and I'll be a candle-stick maker. Because candle-sticks, man.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I'm going to sign up! Last game was so much fun and it was lovely being around all you mad lot again. My level of participation last game given the likely DL will probably be the same though.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #12
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Perfect. An opportunity to finally kill Kath.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I'm in, naturally! I will be the cobbler.

. . .

What!? What are you looking at me like that for? You have a problem with shoes?

()
Old 11-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Hear ye, hear ye! I'll be the town crier!

Incidentally, Boro, have you given thought to how you'll write the narration in the event of a Seer or Ranger death? I mean, Roac and Gwaihir will have official occupations like everyone else, which would make the village look pretty unobservant....

Last edited by Nerwen; 11-25-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #15
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Yes, it should be 89...whoops. Hey wait? How did I not get the 88th game?

Nerwen...hmm you can conceal a raven from townsfolk. An eagle would be slightly more difficult, but I was imagining something like a deus ex machina appearance of Gwaihir like the eagles appearances in TH and LOTR. Although, the only reason I thought of Roac/Gwaihir was to fit with the Lake-town theme. Afterall, they are just the standard seer/ranger role, so it'll probably make more sense just to leave it as seer/ranger.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Argh roles ... I'll be a baker.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #17
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

I shall be the town's most prestigious musician and poet....just to give Boro a headache.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #18
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Nerwen...hmm you can conceal a raven from townsfolk. An eagle would be slightly more difficult, but I was imagining something like a deus ex machina appearance of Gwaihir like the eagles appearances in TH and LOTR.
I know... I meant it might be a bit, well, odd, if the village baker or whatever turned out to be a bird– and no-one had noticed. Maybe you could make them shapeshifters?

*is lynched by outraged purists*

Last edited by Nerwen; 11-25-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM   #19
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'd like to play. It doesn't look like a DL has been decided... (crosses fingers and hopes for a -6GMT friendly DL) as for village role...cooper. Want a barrel? I got you covered.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

*ahem* The description of the role does state that the Seer has a faithful pet raven, not that he is one. So, no complete defilement of canon is necessary.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #21
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
*ahem* The description of the role does state that the Seer has a faithful pet raven, not that he is one. So, no complete defilement of canon is necessary.
Ah, I hadn't noticed that. But Gwaihir's still a problem, though, I think.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Ah, I hadn't noticed that. But Gwaihir's still a problem, though, I think.
How about, both birds have some bond of loyalty with one person (each) from the village, and they do things there (protecting or seering) only at the person's bidding? Once the person is dead, they will not feel obligated to stay in the city another day...

So you won't have a baker that's an Eagle, but you'd have a baker who knows an Eagle that is willing to do a task for him/her...

Last edited by Galadriel55; 11-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

And I just realised that this in not the 89th game, nor the 84th. There was a mess because Foley's game was delayed.

Rikae's game: LXXXVI
Foley's game (put on hold): LXXXVII
Sally's game: LXXXVIII
Zil's game: LXXXIX
Lottie's game: XC
***Foley's game finally played***

Shasta's game was supposed to be XCI, but looking at Foley's game he put LXXXVIII.

Therefore this game should be XCII. Pitch was right: we are in the XCs.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

G55...brilliant. You realize now after supplying an answer, you have to play?

I'll poke some people, others join in the poking, because I think we'll be good to start with another 2-3 sign ups. And it'll give Lommy a few days to get back to me on if she's confirmed to play.

What's a good/sensible DL? I'm pretty flexible as long as it's after 4 pm EST. But I'd like it to be before midnight.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #25
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

I'd prefer around 5 pm EST, which ensures I have some time late in the Day to make a final decision. Later is even better.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:39 PM   #26
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

DL is not an overly important issue for me, though 1600-2000 EST would probably be optimal.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #27
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
1600-1800 EST (=2100-2300 GMT, right?) would be my personal sweet spot, but I can live with having to vote a few hours early.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #28
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

My dream DL is about 6 EST.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #29
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
G55...brilliant. You realize now after supplying an answer, you have to play?
But only if I get the super-secret werebear role.

Joking aside, I will possibly join if the game doesn't start before this weekend. 1000 EST is my preferred DL, but it's not a big deal if it's earlier. And I'm still not sure if I can play, so just ignore the DL comment.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #30
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
My dream DL? What Pitch said.

But really, I'm used to voting, like, eight hours before DL, so I'm fine with anything.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #31
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
My dream DL is 7 CST. Then I have a chance to vote around the DL instead of hours early, but most DLs after 4 EST work because I can play for a few hours after work.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #32
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shall I be a notable miscreant, then? I had no idea this was going on .
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Woo! Shasta!

And it looks like 7 or 8 pm EST would fit the best? That will still be getting a bit late for people overseas, but not so late that it's a hastle in having to always vote super early.

So, let's make it 8pm EST(1am GMT).
Old 11-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #34
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

My computer's internet access just went kaput, so if the game starts before it gets fixed, my participation will be limited and poorly spelled (ARGH TINY KEYS). Fortunately I think that will be soon (getting it fixed that is).
Old 11-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #35
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

If this starts before the weekend, I might have to drop out. I'll be down at my parents' place again ( another "working holiday"!), and there's no internet connection.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #36
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Okay... let's say I'm in again.

I've had a horrendous fall but I'll try to clear some room for playing after what feels like an eternity (I think I have last visited the 'Downs like three months ago or something...).

I'm going to be relatively busy the next week and the DL is such that I'll need to vote early with other Europeans, but on top of that, well, why not?

So excuse me my "lesser than normal" participation (which probably doesn't mean I'm the quietest player around ) for the first Days - if I'm alive still the next week I should be able to take more active role.

As to a role... hmm... I'll be a wine-merchant from Dorwinion (that being allowed).
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #37
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
As to a role... hmm... I'll be a wine-merchant from Dorwinion (that being allowed).
Of course, haha, you read my mind, because I was thinking Lake-town really could use a famous Dorwinion wine-o.

Nerwen, we likely won't be starting until the weekend at least, so you should be ok. Same with Bom, get your interweb pixies fixed please.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Looks like I'll be able to stay near another computer with a working internet connection until mine does get fixed. So, no worries.

Also, yay Nogrod! Now I have someone to suspect Day 1. (NEVAR FORGET)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #39
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Also, yay Nogrod!
Seconded! It's been ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
I'm going to be relatively busy the next week and the DL is such that I'll need to vote early with other Europeans, but on top of that, well, why not?
Don't worry, we have sally the sleep police to take care of you.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #40
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

At the earliest Sunday we'll start. That's when I'll hear back from Lommy and a few others. I don't want to keep delaying too long, so at the latest we'll get started Monday and go with whatever the number is. It's looking like 12 for sure, and G55 if you're good to go after this weekend that would be great?

At 12-13 I'll take out the cobbler, even though I never like parting with that role. Or maybe I can devise some role for Moneybags that may possibly be a benefit to the village. We'll see. But at 14+ I think we'll be ok to keep the Mayor as a standard cobbler.