The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
"Proper Elvish"

Well, we know that all of LOTR is meant to be translated from Westron to English, in other words, Westron isn't English. Also, all the other languages we come across in LOTR are translated, for example Rohirric isn't "really" Old Englidh (the Anglo-Saxon language).

Basically, what I'm asking is whether Tolkien ever gave an example of "true" Elvish (any form), rather than a translation. Or any language other than Westron, for that matter.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #2
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Not all the languages we come across in LotR are supposed to be translations. The Elvish languages are, wherever encountered, the 'real' Elvish languages. The only languages that are 'translations' are the real-world languages. So, English is Westron, Old English is Rohirric, and Old Norse is the language of northern Rhovannion; but Quenya is Quenya and Sindarin is Sindarin.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Hmm, I don't think I started this thread quite how I wanted (I forgot the most the important part- asking whether Elvish is "real" Elvish).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
Not all the languages we come across in LotR are supposed to be translations. The Elvish languages are, wherever encountered, the 'real' Elvish languages. The only languages that are 'translations' are the real-world languages. So, English is Westron, Old English is Rohirric, and Old Norse is the language of northern Rhovannion; but Quenya is Quenya and Sindarin is Sindarin.
Thank you, Aiwendil. So I assume the same reasoning applies to Khuzdul and other such invented languages?

Last edited by Eönwë; 11-05-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Eönwë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Yes, Dwarvish too, though the corpus is relatively limited. We have a few words of actual Westron as well, for example. Elvish, Westron and etc were not written with Roman characters obviously, but the transcriptions try to represent the sounds.

Sometimes the tengwar help illuminate a pronunciation, as Panthael written with Elvish characters in the King's Letter helps show that the pronunciation is pant-hael rather than including the -th- sound as in English thing for instance.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote