The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM   #4441
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by satansaloser2005 View Post
EDIT: x'd with Boro. And I'd concur. With Bostonmoot coming up it'd be really hard to have a good, fair game (even with the best intentions on the part of all players). It's completely up to you, Gwath, but if you need a bit more time to polish things up for your game I'd take the time to do it and start after the first or so.
Heh... given that any Downer going to Bostonmoot will officially be mocked for spending that kind of time online when they've invested time and energy in meeting people in person, I'm trusting that no one attending will actually sign up--which is perhaps a more pertinent reason to have no games for now than biased play.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #4442
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Heh... given that any Downer going to Bostonmoot will officially be mocked for spending that kind of time online when they've invested time and energy in meeting people in person, I'm trusting that no one attending will actually sign up--which is perhaps a more pertinent reason to have no games for now than biased play.
Well, that too, but some of us really don't have a life, so I'm just accounting for that.
satansaloser2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #4443
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.satansaloser2005 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
*crosses fingers now and hopes I have time for Springsteen and Dr. Who, even though if all I know about Dr. Who is that Sir Derek Jacobi was in some episodes, but he's got such a silky smooth voice*
Oooo, thank you for reminding me.

*fangirls*
Old 12-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #4444
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Hey, not everybody is going to Bostonmoot! (Some people are going to the Czech Republic. ) Ahem, anyway, I think the next mod should just do an admin thread in the normal fashion and people could sign up (and I think those who're going to be in Boston for more than just a few days should refrain) and the mod could see whether there's enough folk around or not.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #4445
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
You're probably right. I can just keep the admin thread up until there's enough folks on board, I reckon.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 PM   #4446
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
You're probably right. I can just keep the admin thread up until there's enough folks on board, I reckon.
Sure. If it takes until the 10th of January to start, I'll be glad to be on board, if not (which I guess is preferable for you ), I hope you have a fabulous game.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #4447
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sally and I have talked, and although we were soon sidetracked by amusingly duckish parodies of Jingle Bells, I think we've decided that she'll go before me and Hakon unless she's busy at the time.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #4448
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I would be able to play if there were a game over the Christmas period. I expect its the opposite for most of you, however.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #4449
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

By the way, Gwath, if your game starts anytime between now and....erm, about the sixth or so I shall not partake. So reject me even if I beg and plead, because I know I'll want to play and it would be a bad idea.

Also, Lottie, I'm looking into that question you asked me, so don't think I've forgotten you.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 PM   #4450
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
No hurry, Sally. I just had a strange idea. Strange, but intriguing...

I can't play until the 3rd.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:14 PM   #4451
Hakon
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Hakon is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What question did you ask Sally?

I most likely will not be taking part in any were wolf games until the one I host because of midterms. My teachers love giving boatloads of review packets starting right before Christmas break. If whatever game we are doing next starts before the 25th I can take part in it for a few days before I have to get killed or I pull out but other then that I cannot play in any game until after the last week of January.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #4452
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakon View Post
What question did you ask Sally?

I most likely will not be taking part in any were wolf games until the one I host because of midterms. My teachers love giving boatloads of review packets starting right before Christmas break. If whatever game we are doing next starts before the 25th I can take part in it for a few days before I have to get killed or I pull out but other then that I cannot play in any game until after the last week of January.
Just a Werewolf history question. (Actually, I should ask Mnemo when I see her next, as she'd know just as good if not better than me. But that's beside the point.)

I'm quite excited for Gwath's game whether I'm able to play or not. Should be epic.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #4453
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I'm up for the next one. I'd intended to take a break, but getting taken out so early in Legate's game gave me a breather.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #4454
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith
I would be able to play if there were a game over the Christmas period.
I'd be up for a quick game between Christmas and the New Year, as I have the week off work.

Unfortunately, due to the new anti-spam controls at work, opportunities for playing Werewolf are likely to be a lot more limited for me. It's not as if I used to spend large chunks of the working day playing Werewolf, but I did find it useful to be able to take the odd short break from work to keep an eye on what was happening, and to be able to review and post during my lunch hour.

Given that I spend on average 12 to 13 hours of my week days either at work or travelling to and from work and also given that much of the remaining time is spent either with my family or asleep, that leaves about 2 to 3 hours a day at most to play Werewolf, generally between the hours of 11pm and 1am-ish. Depending on the deadline, that is seriously restrictive, at least for someone who likes to be as fully read and involved in the game as I do. By way of illustration of my difficulties, had I been playing in Legate's recent game, I would have been able to participate only during the first few hours of each day and, possibly, in the final hour, although that final hour would have involved catching up with up to five pages of posts ...

So, why am I boring everyone with my own troubles, I hear you ask? Well, other than looking for sympathy (), it has prompted me to think of a possible solution. I reckon that, given my situation, I will simply be unable to play in the current standard type of game, with 18+ players and up to five or six pages of posts to read each day. However, I have been wondering whether, given that keeping up with this number of posts might be difficult for others too, there is any call for shorter, more compact games with a smaller number of players. As I recall the first few games had about 12 players, which is much more manageable and is reasonably balanced with 3 Wolves.

Now, I am conscious that limiting the number of players would be likely to mean that some would not be able to join a game when they wanted, so I was also wondering whether the 'one game at a time' rule might also be relaxed, so that different sizes (and types) of games could be running at the same time. This would also allow for more mixing and matching of players (meaning that the same players would not be playing with each other all the time).

Any thoughts ...?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #4455
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

This game has just been introduced on another site that I frequent, and I've been playing it (and trying very hard not to try to force it to be a copy of Downs WW). On that site, the games are about 12 players. Thing is, there are a lot of limitations. The discussion is much more slow to pick up. I don't think there were any serious ideas in the whole of the game I modded, just bandwaggoning after the all-knowing player voted. There was a wolf killed each Day because there weren't enough people to offer enough cover for them, even though there were only two wolves. The theories can never be as interesting, because a smaller game by necessity has a more strict format (wolves + seer + hunter + ranger). There aren't enough people to fit in more and still have a decent amount of ordos. Smaller games work, and it might be a good idea to have some smaller games every now and then, but they aren't as much fun to play.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #4456
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

How about a Junior-type game over the holidays? Simple, not a lot of overhead, just a couple wolves and maybe a ranger to shake things up. If you can play you can, and if not you can get in on the next "normal" game. Then after New Year's we could get back to our regular hectic Werewolf schedule and madness.

If it'd be permitted I'd even mod it (though of course I'd prefer someone else do it), as I've a fun narration idea I'd love to try. Madlibs. ^_^

Would anyone be opposed to this? (The idea of me semi-modding notwithstanding, as like I said I'd rather someone do it who hasn't been/isn't going to be a mod.)
Old 12-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #4457
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
This game has just been introduced on another site that I frequent, and I've been playing it (and trying very hard not to try to force it to be a copy of Downs WW). On that site, the games are about 12 players. Thing is, there are a lot of limitations. The discussion is much more slow to pick up. I don't think there were any serious ideas in the whole of the game I modded, just bandwaggoning after the all-knowing player voted. There was a wolf killed each Day because there weren't enough people to offer enough cover for them, even though there were only two wolves. The theories can never be as interesting, because a smaller game by necessity has a more strict format (wolves + seer + hunter + ranger). There aren't enough people to fit in more and still have a decent amount of ordos. Smaller games work, and it might be a good idea to have some smaller games every now and then, but they aren't as much fun to play.
You can vary the gifteds in smaller games like that, Lottie. In a game of just 12, it should probably be just three wolves and a seer, but of course you can make what you want.

I like the idea of two games running at once, but I don't know that it'd be a great idea for people to be in two different games.

On another note, could someone tell me whether it's been six months since I hosted last? I'd like to mod another game (and I promise nothing crazy like the last one, scout's honor).
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Shastanis Althreduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #4458
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shastanis Althreduin View Post
You can vary the gifteds in smaller games like that, Lottie. In a game of just 12, it should probably be just three wolves and a seer, but of course you can make what you want.

I like the idea of two games running at once, but I don't know that it'd be a great idea for people to be in two different games.

On another note, could someone tell me whether it's been six months since I hosted last? I'd like to mod another game (and I promise nothing crazy like the last one, scout's honor).
Well the last time you modded I was still in school, so yes, it'd be at least six months. Heck, it's been over six since I modded and you were before me.

And seconded on the people not being in both games, though I don't think people would do that anyway. I've enough trouble keeping up with one.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #4459
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Well we used to have these TIG games running simultaneously with the TIG-junior games and that was not a happy thing all the time as there was the status issue. Introducing two games at the same time might easily lead to the same dilemma even if that would not be intended.

But you're right SPM that the overall number of pages one needs to read have been piling up whilst the extra pages have not been too useful for anyone trying to do whatever one would have to do in order to out the wolves or lynch the innocents.

So maybe we could just limit the number of players for each game to something like 16 - unless it was a really special game like Dueling Wizards (who would like to mod the next one, maybe the spring 2010 would be a time for it)?

From another POV I must say that active posting is just great - if one has time to read through all of it - as it gives one so much more to chew! But that's an issue with time and possible enjoyent which we all have different standards and possibilities of achieving.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #4460
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
I'd be fine with running a shorter game. It might fit better with my schedule anyway.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #4461
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
I'd be fine with running a shorter game. It might fit better with my schedule anyway.
Oooo even better! And I think I'd actually be able to play, though I'm not sure yet.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #4462
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Shastanis Althreduin is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So maybe we could just limit the number of players for each game to something like 16 - unless it was a really special game like Dueling Wizards (who would like to mod the next one, maybe the spring 2010 would be a time for it)?
I disagree.
Shasta– ... However, if he's innocent his famous clairvoyant powers must be taking the week off. Meanwhile, the Night-kills have been awfully effective– almost like we're dealing with a psychic wolf... - Nerwen, WW LXXV
Old 12-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #4463
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
So maybe we could just limit the number of players for each game to something like 16 - unless it was a really special game like Dueling Wizards
I think it should just be left up to the mod to decide how many players the want in their game.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #4464
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I think it should just be left up to the mod to decide how many players the want in their game.
That's what I was going to say. I know my game is going to have a limit (but just because it's easier to plan this particular concept if I know how many players I'll have) but as a general rule I think it's a bad idea to limit how many people can be in a game. Unless the mod him/herself decides to do it.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #4465
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I don't think there was ever a status issue with Junior games. That is where generally first time players would start, but gaming wise it was the same experience. The reason it was shut down is because there weren't enough people interested in playing to keep them going simultaneously.

If two get started up again, I agree with Shasta that you shouldn't be allowed to play in both of them.

But, I don't see an issue with Nog's suggestion on limitting the number of players. The page count gets tediously long, and you can't just blame it on the people who do post more. The diverse styles are one of the best things about WW, and if the page count is tedious to read through (which has been a reason for some deciding to stop WWing) I would rather see a cap on the players than any type of rules on posting limits.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #4466
Shastanis Althreduin
Werewolf Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eönwë View Post
I agree with this. *points up*
Old 12-25-2009, 05:49 PM   #4467
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
First of all, thanks to SpM for starting this discussion! I, too, have to admit I sometimes find it quite excruciating to find two or three pages of new posts to digest whenever I come back to the game after those tedious but necessary intervals of work and sleep. At the same time, I quite admire those who actually manage to make long and detailed summaries or present a case in a thorough, elaborate analysis of half a page or so - it's utterly beyond me, but I wouldn't want to miss that sort of contribution. Limiting the amount of players looks like a viable solution to this problem.
I don't have any problem with the idea of two games running simultaneously. OK, sometimes it'll be hard to choose between two attractive games running at the same time, but such is life. As to playing in two games at once, I really can't see anybody in their right senses wanting to do this - as if Werewolf wasn't complicated enough without engaging in voluntary schizophrenia!
Finally, I'm not going to play in anything that starts before January 6, as I'll be busy spending some time with friends and family until then. After that, I'll be ready for all kinds of mischief.
Old 12-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #4468
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

If we did have two games going at the same time, what if we staggered the games so that one would start about when the other ended? There's usually a good-sized chunk of time after a game for discussion and signing up for the next game. What if, during that time, the other game was running? That would eliminate the issue of trying to decide between two games and the issue of not playing in two games at once.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #4469
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I think we could have two "series" of ww games again - the normal games with the same rules as now (ie mod can make any kind of game s/he wishes) and then junior games with just 12 people and no extra twists (there could be 1-4 of the "basic" gifteds: seer, ranger, hunter and cobbler, according to the mod's preferences, or then we could just harshly take the original cast, whatever it was - just a seer?).

Whatever happens in the ww front, please sign me up for the next game, if it will start on the 9th or later.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:32 AM   #4470
alonariel
Wight

alonariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naria View Post
OK so we have

Legate
Gwath
Sally
Morsul the Dark

alonariel since you wish your game to be not until around the New Year I am putting you on the tentative list. So your interest doesn't get lost between now and then.

Tentative:
alonariel
(New Year)

I realize that, more than likely....maybe, Sally's game will go into the New Year. The it should be alonariel's game. If you guys want to switch things up with whomever, just get it out here and I'll adjust the list accordingly. Thankies muchly

Modding list is closed
Naria, thanks for keeping me in the loop! Spring semester doesn't start up for me until January 25th, so if Sally's game finishes up about a week before then, I'm good to play. Otherwise, I think Lari will have to find another co-mod for the game we have planned.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:05 PM   #4471
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
Naria, thanks for keeping me in the loop! Spring semester doesn't start up for me until January 25th, so if Sally's game finishes up about a week before then, I'm good to play. Otherwise, I think Lari will have to find another co-mod for the game we have planned.
Well if you're on a tight schedule and Gwath's game goes too long I'd let you go before me. Time isn't really an issue for me, so if needed I'll snap back.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #4472
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

I'm going to put up an admin thread for my game soonish.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #4473
alonariel
Wight

Send a message via AIM to alonariel Send a message via MSN to alonariel Send a message via Skype™ to alonariel
Quote:
Well if you're on a tight schedule and Gwath's game goes too long I'd let you go before me. Time isn't really an issue for me, so if needed I'll snap back.
Sally that's awesome. We'll see how Gwath's game goes and then go from there. Thank you again for that. I'm trying to get as much Downs in as possible before school/life eats my face again.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #4474
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonariel View Post
Sally that's awesome. We'll see how Gwath's game goes and then go from there. Thank you again for that. I'm trying to get as much Downs in as possible before school/life eats my face again.
No problem, precious. And please don't let anything eat your face.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #4475
alonariel
Wight

Quote:
No problem, precious. And please don't let anything eat your face.
I'll try to preserve my face. My legs, however, I cannot guarantee.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #4476
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
So I know this is MONTHS in advance, but I wouldn't mind modding another game (it's been soooo long!! ) in about June. I don't really have the time to put much effort into modding one anytime before then and the idea I have flaring up in my mind requires pretty much my full attention. So if you can put me on a list for anytime between June and August, that would be great!!
Old 01-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #4477
Airaloske
Animated Skeleton

Airaloske has just left Hobbiton.
soooo lynch me for being new, but this sounds pretty interesting. let me know when a good time to jump in is. i'll do my best to keep up.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #4478
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Oh, I'd like to mod again aswell, May is the soonest I'd be able too, but basically anytime between May and July would be good.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #4479
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airaloske View Post
soooo lynch me for being new, but this sounds pretty interesting. let me know when a good time to jump in is. i'll do my best to keep up.
Well, whenever it's announced in a game Admin Thread that signups are open, anyone can put themselves in a game then.
Depending on how familiar you are with Werewolf, you may want to peruse some of the finished Game Threads in Middle Earth Mirth first though.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #4480
satansaloser2005
The Sweetest Spoiler

A note: Alona and Lari are going next instead of me because it works better for them. Just so's it's clear.

And in advance, sign me up!