The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-13-2004, 05:16 PM   #1
metropolis_part_one
Pile O'Bones

metropolis_part_one has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Could Frodo have stopped Gandalf from turning Sam into anything unnatural?

In 'The Shadow of the Past', Sam says to Frodo 'Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural!'. If Gandalf had done this, what would he have turned Sam into, and could Frodo have stopped him? Did Gandalf even have the power to do this?
But heard the roaring of the sea
metropolis_part_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
Burzdol
Shade of Carn Dûm

Burzdol has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I should think that Gandalf could! I don't think he would've though, if he would've, he would've scared Frodo into not going(That's just a thought). As for Frodo stopping him, I don't think the hobbit could do a thing.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:53 PM   #3
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam was merely scared because of his ignorance about elves/Gandalf and what was (somewhat mistakenly) called magic by most, especially those hobbits who did not take kindly to the idea of such outside forces.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:24 PM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Great thread! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Could Frodo have stopped Gandalf
In Sam's opinion, yes. That is, if anyone could have stopped Gandalf, Mister Frodo could have.

But I really doubt that Gandalf could have turned Sam into anything unnatural (which in my opinion means turning him into something that is not Samwise Gamgee!). The nature of all the abilities Gandalf is shown to possess are related to fire, to wisdom or to his heightened mental powers (Osanwë-Kenta and all that).

Transfiguration is more of a Harry Potter kind of a thing. Maybe Sam just finished reading The Chamber of Secrets. Actually if anyone in Middle-Earth could transform him into such, it would be either Radagast (a master of shapes and hues) or Sauron (an all around wraith-making shape-shifting evil menace).
Old 01-13-2004, 07:32 PM   #5
Sparrow
Animated Skeleton

Sparrow has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Frodo could never by force stop Gandalf from doing something. The power difference (and the size difference [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) was too great. Gandalf almost certainly did not have the ability to physically turn Sam into something he wasn't in his lessened form as one of the Istari, but even if he did, does anyone really think for a second that he would?
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 PM   #6
Carorëiel
Haunting Spirit

Carorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I doubt even Sam thought Frodo could actually do anything to stop Gandalf from working his "magic" if Gandalf were inclined to do so. Rather, I think Sam was asking Frodo to sort of speak on his behalf. You know, "Say, Gandalf, friend wizard, I know this here Samwise Gamgee and he's not a bad egg. No need to be turning him into a frog or whathaveyou. Sure he wasn't up to anything mischievious like."
Old 01-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #7
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Sam says to Frodo 'Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural!'
But, in a sense, doesn't this happen anyway? By his inclusion in the Quest and the effect of the events therein, Samwise is changed out of his reckoning and becomes what his old self might have called "unnatural." I guess it is all in your point of view, really!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
But, in a sense, doesn't this happen anyway? By his inclusion in the Quest and the effect of the events therein, Samwise is changed out of his reckoning and becomes what his old self might have called "unnatural."
Interesting thought. Because of the quest he really does turn into a totally different hobbit, and the quest most definitely does change his career path. Whould he really have been mayor if he had not gone on the quest, came back, and helped save the Shire during the scouring? Would he have even married Rosie Cotton? Or would he have just stayed as a simple gardener and servant his entire life?

Is there any chance that Gandalf could have been able to turn things into different things if he would have had the right training? He had the power, but maybe he did not have the knowledge to change something into something different?
Old 01-14-2004, 12:22 AM   #9
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Also, I don't see many in Middle-earth who could stop Gandalf from doing something he could do with the twitch of an eye. Least of all Frodo.