The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-20-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots Fordim or Fordhim? The Horrors of S-p-e-l-l-i-n-g

I'm absolutely befuddled as to why so many people add an 'h' in there. I've had the urge to insert an 'h' as well, but I think I have resisted the temptation thus far... Am I missing something?

Of course, Fordim's is not the only name that gets misspelled rather often. There are a lot of names on her that are almost impossible to spell, so I am often forced to simply copy and paste. And you have to be very careful, particularly with some names, of how you make your typos.

I suppose that's the joy of nicknaming nicknames. I don't think I've actually called Pio Piosenniel in forever...it doesn't even look right when I type it. And the same goes for Aman...Amanaduial the Archer? Who's that?

I often feel like nicknaming a name is being too *friendly* or perhaps *unprofessional* (almost wrote 'prefessional' there). But some people's names are just really hard for me to get right...

For example, here's trying to spell...Esgallhugwen.

Esgalugwn
Esghalugwen
Esghluwen
Esghaluwen
Esghallugwen

I'm sorry but I always have to copy and paste your name. Maybe I should start thinking of gall bladders and hugs when I'm trying to spell it...

Is anyone else plagued by misspellings and the possibility of misspellings?

You know, 'misspell' is harder to spell than I thought...

Note: This may be a retarded thread. This may be an illegal thread. This may be too close to Esty's lovely typo thread. I may get negative reps for this. But...I'm interested. Yes, I'm interested in how bad people spell. Call it a fetish, a self-confidence booster shot, or whatever you'd like. Stone me, shoot me, mutilate me, shish-kabob me...but here it is.

Double Note: This also isn't meant to offend anyone...every human being makes typos and spelling errors, and we all have major dyslexic moments even if we aren't dyslexic.

Triple (Triple, not Tripple!) Note: Slap me if I misspelled anything.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-20-2005 at 03:19 PM. Reason: didn't look as pretty without an icon
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:27 PM   #2
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Durelin, you aren't alone... I've always wondered why some people spell Fordim's name with an "h" as well.

I used to have a huge problem spelling Encaitare's name right... I couldn't figure out where the "i" went. It took me forever one time when I was trying to PM her, I finally had to go look it up on the Member's List.

And I always have to think about whether Child's name is spelled "7th" or "Seventh."

I think this is what nicknames do to us... they make us forget how to spell the real name.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I guess 'h' is just one sexy letter.

I have yet to misspell your name, Firefoot. I'll be sure to admit myself to an institute if I ever do so.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
The Befuddling Question of Gender

Though I do find a few names difficult, something much more puzzling is gender. Durelin, as you know, you were male for a period. So was Saurreg. And Feanor of the Peredhil. And...

Yeah. But spellings I'm mostly fine with. I used to lapse with Enca, calling her Encataire instead of Encaitare, but that's about it. Maybe people need to add that "h" to remember Fordim's gender. Fordhim. See?
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
Maybe people need to add that "h" to remember Fordim's gender. Fordhim. See?
How ingenious....

I know...so many BDers are cross-dressers...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
Durelin, as you know, you were male for a period. So was Saurreg.
Actually, Saurreg is male. I'm the one that messed-up on the ww6 game. I thought he was a she, but when I was corrected our first night session as wolves I had to continue being mistaken, otherwise how would I have known?
I thought Mormegil was a girl, the 'gil' part sounds like girl and his former avatar with the monkey in a pink shirt (which I thought was a dress) shooting the gun.

I misspell HerenIstarion (even now I'm not sure). Sometimes I see mine misspelled as well....holybtlass holbytlas
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Even Mr. Barrow Wight himself thought me a female at one point.

I'm still trying to work out TGWBS's gender . I'm not sure if (s)he's using guy in the gender sense or the more general sense.

When I was a wolf with Oromin....I had a hard time spelling her name and needed help on every PM.

Last edited by mormegil; 07-20-2005 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling mistake...how ironic.
mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Actually, Saurreg is male.
*head explodes*

Mormegil has always been male for me, actually. Swords are always male.

I guess it helps that my name has "guy" in it, and Holby's has "lass." See, we're really the smartest people here...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

At least one person here thought I was female once, though posting my picture as an avatar has since cleared that up. I'll admit it is kind of hard to tell anyone's gender if they have a non-gender-specific name.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:23 PM   #10
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
I am probably one of the worst at remembering how to spell names. Its weird because some people used spaces and others just put the two names together, for example HerenIstarion is together and I never remember that. I also never remember if its Gil Galad or Gil-Galad. I hate being confused .

Im sure with my name its just the question of if its a capital W and what the numbers are. I didn't want the numbers but it said wilwarin was already being used.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I guess it helps that my name has "guy" in it, and Holby's has "lass." See, we're really the smartest people here...
Yes, we are smart!

Menel: You look like a guy I dated many years ago, when I first saw it I was shocked, but then it's not what he would look like now (in early 30's).

Who are Estel and Esty? I assume Estel is The Only Real Estel, but who is Esty? I sometimes get reps from both names side-by-side. BTW, THANKS!!

Oh yea, another hard one...Azalia, or is it Azailia, Azealia?
Old 07-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I believe that Esty is Estelyn Telcontar
Old 07-20-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Oh yea, another hard one...Azalia, or is it Azailia, Azealia?
Azaelia, I believe... it's hard because the flower is actually spelled "Azalea."
Old 07-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #14
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I'll admit it is kind of hard to tell anyone's gender if they have a non-gender-specific name.
And even if the name is definitely male, you can't always tell... Finwë and Fëanor of the Peredhil are both female, and there is a female Samwise too... The avatars are often misleading as well!
But I think there are no male Downers with female names!
Anyhow, even if I'm curious, I would feel a bit awkward asking "Excuse me, are you a he or a she?"

@Holbytlass
Quote:
but who is Esty?
That's Estelyn Telcontar!
Old 07-20-2005, 03:41 PM   #15
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
Azaelia, I believe... it's hard because the flower is actually spelled "Azalea."
For those old time game geeks. At first I had trouble with her name because of a bad guy on Crono Trigger named Azala.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:59 PM   #16
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
I know, I know, I think I may possibliy win a prize for the most difficult name to spell. You should see how much trouble non-LotR fans have with it. I used to have it as an e-mail address, and one time my uncle was trying to send me an e-mail with a whole bunch of pictures attached. He misspelled Orominuialwen, and so had to start all over again attaching all the pictures in a new e-mail.

I would like to say that absolutely anybody is free to use a shortening of my name. I have accumulated many in the little over 2 years I've had it as a username. I'm generally called: Oromin, Oro, Oromy, Ormy, and even occasionally Oromi. I think I prefer Oromin, but any of the above are fine -- save yourself the trouble of trying to spell my full name! It's kind of funny, since my real name seems to give people a lot of trouble as well. It's not hard if one actually reads it properly, but people expect it to be more difficult, I guess. To top it off, I have an extremely long last name (it's 14 letters long and hyphenated) which seems to confuse people as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:06 PM   #17
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I agree Oro your name is incredibly difficult to get right. When I was a wolf with you I had to copy and paste your name from previous PM's or, if I'd lost it somehow, go and get it from the game thread!
Old 07-20-2005, 04:09 PM   #18
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

Actually, Kath, I don't know whether you're a guy or a girl either. And the same goes for Mithadan, believe it or not.

Though you can usually tell if someone's a girl if she has "-wen," "-iel," etc. on the end of her name.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #19
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Seriously Menel? Cos in that case I'd like to know what man's name you think Kath is short for! I am female - if it helps my Elvish name is enpauriel.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:40 PM   #20
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Perhaps I should have made this a "Guess my Gender" thread.

Last edited by Durelin; 07-20-2005 at 04:40 PM. Reason: there I go, losing my 'd's again...
Old 07-20-2005, 06:51 PM   #21
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
I often feel like nicknaming a name is being too *friendly* or perhaps *unprofessional* (almost wrote 'prefessional' there). But some people's names are just really hard for me to get right...
Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"? (Assuming, of course, that the nickname is based on your name -- being nicknamed Sugar Lips might be a bit offensive. Then again, I could be wrong. ) But so many Downers (mostly the ladies) have names like Carnemirialessenduilinawen that it's just necessary to shorten them.

And I've never understood why some people stick an "h" in Fordim's name. Maybe it's a super-funky way of incorporating the Hedgethistle bit into it -- Fordh(edgethistle)im.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #22
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Im always forgetting, whenever someone mensions Fordim that he has another part of his name. I dont have a very long name but I rather when people call me Wilwa or at least Wilwarin, the numbers get on my nerves. But like I said before I had no choice.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:02 PM   #23
mormegil
Maundering Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encaitare
Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"? (Assuming, of course, that the nickname is based on your name -- being nicknamed Sugar Lips might be a bit offensive. Then again, I could be wrong. ) But so many Downers (mostly the ladies) have names like Carnemirialessenduilinawen that it's just necessary to shorten them.
Not me. I get called Morm all the time. I like to think of myself as the Norm from Cheers but with an "M" for my name .

Wilwarin would you mind if I call you simply 538?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 PM   #24
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

No thanks. I like pretending the numbers dont excist. You can choose from the following: Wilwarin, Wilwa, Willy(which I really like now because of the new Johnny Depp movie ) or Wil. No 538 thank you very much.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:32 PM   #25
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Fordhim is easy to explain...

"dh"s litter the Elvish language: Caradhras, Galadhrim, Pengolodh, edhc, edhc...

And, it's fun to tease Master Shrubpricklies...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:35 PM   #26
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
If you say so, Formendhacil.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:51 PM   #27
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Quote:
Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"?
I don't think offended is the right word... but I have a score to even with whomever dubbed me "Footie." Call me such if you absolutely must - I'm starting to get used to it, but Ff or FF is the preferred shortening (the one I like).

And here I thought my name was actually short enough that I wouldn't ever have a nickname... actually, I like nicknames, even if I don't really have one (in RL, that is).

Wilwa, if it makes you feel better, I didn't even realize your name had numbers until today. I had to do a double take and wonder if you weren't someone else who had taken your name...
Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 PM   #28
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

That does make me feel better.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:44 AM   #29
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I thought the h's had something to do with the differences in nationality, and thus some language variations. Although now I don't think so. All I can say is that I notice only two people (so far) who use the spelling Fordhim: Formendacil (Form? Formy? Formen? ) and Boromir88 (B88).

As for the use of nicknames, doesn't that make us feel like we're really a community? Besides, just think - what if you have to spell Marileangorifurnimaluim every time when you can use Maril instead?

But at first I never really liked people calling me Lhuna because it reminds me of a certain absurdity that some Filipinos do to their nicknames. I'm not exactly a fan of names like Jhon when it should be Jon or something like that. I find it annoying when I see names spelled that way. But when the use of Lhuna started picking up, I had no choice. Now, though, use it in good health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morm *wink*
When I was a wolf with Oromin....I had a hard time spelling her name and needed help on every PM.
Orominuialwen I understand...but Lhun-arda-wen? What's so difficult about that? (I was supposed to be a werewolf in MM, and in his first werewolf PM morm here commented on his difficulty with spelling our names.)

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 07-21-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:46 AM   #30
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Poor Esgalhugwen (I spelt that without checking, hope its right..)
When we were playing WW IV, I don't think many of us managed to get her name right. We were calling her Losgulhugwen and heaven knows what else.

Maybe that's why she disappeared....has she been seen since?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:47 AM   #31
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Enca: Question for everyone: has being nicknamed ever gotten you offended or anything? Or had you feel like people were being too "friendly"?

Not me, either. I like the friendly aspect of it. I like the name I chose for this forum but whoever (I forget) dubbed me Holby, I just love it. And "duh" to me for not thinking it myself!! It reminds me of "Holly-Hobby" whom I loved as a wee lass.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 AM   #32
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

I'm reaching back into ancient history, but back in the day, at least in chat, Rimbaud was heir to some creative spelling. The French name just seemed to lend itself for play with letters.

Rimbough
Rimbô
Rimkű
(Lush) Rimbaugh
Rymbow
Rimbaud
Rimsky
Rimbaudelaire
Baudebaud
Rimbod

Come to think of it, Rim-ba-da-bim would have been a good one. Likely that was used, too.

Spelling in chat is such a contentious issue.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 AM   #33
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm not that hung up on my screen-name being spelled incorrectly, after all, it's only my screen-name. But I did try to choose one which was easy to pronounce and spell, and also one which was not too long, as the experience in having a long 'real name' has taught me that it can be a real bore typing out a long name all the time.

I think the problematic names mainly originate from Elvish languages which I have noticed feature words with a lot of vowels in unfamiliar sequences. Anyone who is usually good at spelling will most likely have developed a knack of spotting common letter patterns and so a different language may throw them out a bit.

Nicknames don't bother me either, as I've had more than my fair share of um...'creative' names in the past.

Here's a top tip though: when you're quoting someone and want to put their incredibly consonant/vowel heavy name in, and want to spell it correctly, then just copy and paste it.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:07 PM   #34
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
I just wish people would stop calling me "Lenny". It's 'Leny, dang it! The apostrophy isn't really necessary, but...that extra N bothers me. Yes, there are two Ns in Elennar, but split it up into the two elvish words Elen-Nar. Star-Fire. See? I was first called Eleny, then decided I like apostropys better than Es, so I am now 'Leny.

*sighs*

Old 07-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #35
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Lhuna yours is difficult because of the second 'a'. Every time I go to type your name I have to double check because I tend not to say it out loud. Anyone else find this?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #36
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

I never pronounce Lhuna's second A. I always have it in my head as Lhunardwen.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:14 PM   #37
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

But then you remove the "Arda" from her name, making it meaningless!

I love Elvish names though. I never could figure out what a "Lhun" in "Lhunardawen" is though.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:31 PM   #38
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I discovered a few doosies through playing WW games. Orominuialwen was just HARD. I copied and pasted that for ages before mastering it. Now I say it out loud just for the fun of it. Lhunardawen got spelled lots of ways before I gave up and started saying Lhuna, Lhunatic, or LhunArtemis the Hunter. See, instead of Lhun-arda-wen, it ended up being Lhun-ad-arwen. Yeah... I got a few unsent PMs back when trying to assign that role.

As for nicknames... elronds_daughter is "Eddy", Encaitare is "Encai" (most other use "Enca"), Eomer of the Rohirrim recently got "'Mer"... Since I quit using "Feanor of the Peredhil" as a whole (boy do I wish I'd thought shorter when I registered), I also stopped using other people's whole names. Presumably if anyone objects, they'll tell me.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:08 PM   #39
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
But then you remove the "Arda" from her name, making it meaningless!

I love Elvish names though. I never could figure out what a "Lhun" in "Lhunardawen" is though.
I've always assumed that LHUN+ARDA+WEN = BLUE+EARTH+WOMAN.

So, I guess, in my mind, Lhunardawen is a blueish earth woman. Like so- , but happier.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #40
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
I've had problems with Meneltarmacil's name... When I first came here I thought it was 'Metamucil'... Sorry, I really didn't mean it, it was just the first thing that I could remember. Then I decided to 'copy' and 'paste' instead of editing five or six different times. I'm working towards memorizing it, so, hopefully one day...

Then there was Encaitare's name... But, I've remembered the 'cait', and it's proved most helpful. Elennar Starfire's was thankfully easy to remember, but the ['], before Leny, I've forgotten before. Please don't kill me.

My spelling is horrible, and doesn't stop with other members. Usually its characters as well. Luckly I can notice patterns easily... That is if the name has any, in which I better just think of possible ways of remembering it.

~ Ka
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote