The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2003, 09:08 AM   #41
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, that's true. It's hard for me to believe that someone who was that independent suddenly became that much of a homebody.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:11 PM   #42
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Of all the truly screwed up marraiges in the In the Silmarillion, i think the one between Eol and Aredhel was the worst. All she wanted was her freedom from a confined city, but, she went out of one cage into another. Eol had no right to keep her there by force, becuase it seems like all he wanted was a possession. After Maeglin's little fight with Eol, she wanted even more to leave, not just for want of freedom, but also for concern to her son's safety. When he followed her back to Gondolin, he fully intended to kill his son, thus justifying Aredhel's fears. I think that he did love her, and i highly doubt that he ever intended to kill her, but the result was the same. Eol got himself executed, Aredhel died, and their son became the calssic product of a messed up marriage.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #43
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
their son became the calssic product of a messed up marriage
I don't think they were meant to show the horrors of divorce. It was supposed to be the effect of the doom of Mandos on the Noldor that made Maeglin love Idril, and so indirectly Morgoth's fault. Someone mentioned the fact that Tolkien was Catholic, I think that therefore failed marriages were seen as the result of evil. For example Finduilas (of Dol Amroth) died due to the effect of living near Mordor, and the curse on Hurin's children made Turin and Nienor marry.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote