The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #1
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Question Another stange gift of the elves or lost contacts?

I was reading through a bloopers page and one of them is
Quote:
Legolas’ eyes are brown (normally blue) when he is arguing with Aragorn before the battle of Helms Deep.
It is corrected by someone saying that elves' eyes turn brown when they are distressed. [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
I have never heard this before and was also under the impression that elves could have eyes of any (normal) colour. Is there any one who knows any more about this?
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 01:56 AM   #2
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

You do know this should be in the movie forum right?Not to be harsh but i would think it would be more for that topic area.
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even though the question arises from the Movies, it's answer [if there is any, which i doubt very seriously] will have to come from the Books, so imho Silmarien was right to put it here.

However, that correct choice may not get you any closer to an answer! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

But maybe there is some footnote somewhere I have misssed. The onlything I have heard about elvish eyes are that Aegnor's shown like fire when he was in battle or full of wrath. And that all of the Noldor eyes were peircingly bright, such that few could endure them at all [witness Galaldriel and the fellowship].
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Fingolfin's eyes shore like a Valar as he rode off on Rochallor his great horse to challange Morgoth to single combat,so much so that all fled that beheld his onset for they feared Orome himself had returned.
But lets be real here,PJ didnt mean for a second to have something that cool in his movies,someone just messed up on the contact lens for Legolas. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-21-2003, 06:07 AM   #5
Frodo Baggins
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Frodo Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Somewhere in the appendicies in LOTR it states that most elves have dark hair and if not most then every single last one of them has grey eyes (not much for variety are they?). But then agan, I could have read this wrong.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #6
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Finwe had blue-grey eyes.

Quote:
Somewhere in the appendicies in LOTR it states that most elves have dark hair
Thats a reference to the Noldor and Sindar, who were mainly dark of hair. The Vanyar, for example were mainly goldenhaired.

[ April 22, 2003: Message edited by: Inderjit Sanghera ]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 04:03 PM   #7
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Where did it state that it referred only to the Sindar and the Noldor?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Where did it state that it referred only to the Sindar and the Noldor?
The Vanyar were mainly Golden Haired so it cannot apply to them,. I suupose it could apply to the Valinorean Teleri too...

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 02:08 PM   #9
Lady Alasse
Wight

Lady Alasse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If that is true than I have never heard of it and must have missed it while reading the books. I don't think that sounds right though.
He teacheth my hands to war; so that a bow of steel is broken by my arms.-II Samuel 22:35
Lady Alasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 02:40 PM   #10
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

Quote:
They were a race high and beautiful, the older Children of the world, and among them the Eldar were as kings, who now are gone: the People of the Great Journey, the People of the Stars. They were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin.
btw, the Dúnedain are also described as dark-haired and grey-eyed. Obviously Tolkien's ideal of beauty...
Old 05-16-2003, 01:05 AM   #11
Silmarien
Wight

Silmarien has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I put this in the books because this site seemed to think it's information was based on the books so it was that sort of info I was looking for. I now no longer hesitate to believe that Orlando Bloom forgot his contacts and this is not a strange gift. Thanks again.
Though here at journeys end I lie in dakness buried deep, beyond all towers strong and high beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun and Stars forever dwell:I will not say the Day is done nor bid the Stars farewell!
Silmarien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:15 AM   #12
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Digging through the Silm for references to elf eyes, I was only able to ascertain the following:

Quote:
Blue was her [Luthien's] raiment as the unclouded heaven, but her eyes were grey as the starlit evening; her mantle was sewn with golden flowers, but her hair was dark as the shadows of twilight.
also:

Quote:
For he [Turin] was young, and only now reached his full manhood; and he was in truth the son of Morwen Eledhwen to look upon: dark-haired and pale-skinned, with grey eyes, and his face more beautiful than any other among mortal Men, in the Elder Days.
Couldn't find any other references, but based on this and the other comments here, I think it's safe to say that most elves would have grey eyes.

On an unrelated, but interesting, note, Tolkien does at one point mention Manwe's eyes:

Quote:
His raiment is blue, and blue is the fire of his eyes, and his sceptre is of sapphire, which the Noldor wrought for him; and he was appointed to be the vicegerent of Ilúvatar, King of the world of Valar and Elves and Men, and the chief defence against the evil of Melkor.
So not all the powerful beings in Arda had grey eyes. Just some food for thought.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 09:53 PM   #13
Lindril Arvilya
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: In a box at the end of Harrison Ford's street, with a pair of binoculars
Lindril Arvilya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Too bright were the eyes of Arien for even the Eldar to look on...
EDIT: Oops. She's a Maiar. Sorry.

[ May 16, 2003: Message edited by: Lindril Arvilya ]
Old 05-17-2003, 10:49 PM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

It may be much more mundane than this... If you watch the extended DVD special stuff, they do a short session on (let's call it) digital magic. They would change entire scenes from daylight to evening, or morning to afternoon, or whatever, by altering the Red-Green-Blue ratios.

They showed an example of this, and it happened to be Elijah in the picture. As they darken the day-photographed scene into late evening, Elijah's eyes went from sky-blue to something rather resembling purple... (oops.) As the whole scene darkened, so did his eyes-- it was just that the rest of the scene looked natural, but his eyes didn't.

If the scene-enhancement turned Elijah's eyes purplish, might they have turned Legolas' eyes brownish?

Alas, my post at least does belong in the Movie forums...

[ May 18, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]
Old 06-20-2003, 12:42 AM   #15
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As far as I know there is absolutely nothing in the books about elves changing eye color.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:14 AM   #16
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
The were a high race and beautiful, the Elder Children of the world... they were tall, fair of skin and grey-eyed, though their locks were dark, save in the golden house of Finarfin...
(Appendix F)

Come on, surely, you should all remember this fact. The eye-changing of Legolas in the movie can, I think, be attributed to what is described in the following paragraph, from the same source.

Quote:
This old word ('elf') was indeed the only one available, and was once fitted to apply to such memories of these people as Men preserved, or to the making of men's minds not wholly dissimilar... But it may now suggest fancies either pretty or silly, as unlike to the Quendi of old as the butterfly is to the swift falcon -- not that any of the Quendi ever possessed wings, as unnatural to them as to Men.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 09:08 PM   #17
Roccotari Eldandil
Haunting Spirit

Roccotari Eldandil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

umm...Gwaihir? Could you explain that last quote? I'm kind of confused.
Old 06-22-2003, 01:09 AM   #18
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Tolkien is describing the fairytale-ising of the Elf as we once knew it, i.e. attributing magical and untrue properties to 'elfs' -- the true Elda has been lost and forgotten through the millenia that we have been out of touch with their race.
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 07:38 AM   #19
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Actually, the reason that Orlando Bloom's normally blue contacts looked brown in the armory, was because they had orange lights in the room while filming. If you look closely at his skin, you can tell that it looks slightly more orange than normal. The orange lighting also fiddled with his eyes a bit.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 08:42 PM   #20
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Is that the case with the bookmarks too? His eyes are also brown-looking in those
Old 06-26-2003, 08:48 PM   #21
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I assume so. It must have been the lighting in the studio where they took that picture, or if it is a screen capture, then it must have been the lighting that they were using when they filmed the scene.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote