The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2003, 06:36 AM   #1
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting The Enchantment of Melian

Melian enchanted Elwe/Thingol, the result of which was that a large part of the Teleri never went to Valinor and even the ones who did were somewhat estranged from their Vanyar and Noldorin kindred.
Was this, do we think, in retrospect, a good thing or a bad thing? Did Melian deliberately enchant Elwe and if so, what was her motivation? Did it benefit Middle Earth?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

Quote:
... what was her motivation ...
Love Love Love ...

... it's all you need. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-25-2003, 09:48 AM   #3
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Oh, you dear old-fashioned thing.

But my other question...was it, overall, of benefit or detriment to the well-being of Middle Earth?
Old 03-25-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Benefit.

1. Of her came the line that will never end, and of course the most beautiful tale of M.E-Beren and Luthien. If anything was FATED then this was. Without Luthien how would they win the Silamril back? And how oculd Earendil give the meessage of pardon to the Valar.

2. The line of Numenoriean kings wouldn't be so high.

3. The Sindar played a large part in the WoJ. They were said to far outnumber the Noldor, even in Noldorin realms as shown by the adoption of Sindarin by the exiles after the Aglareb.

4. Eru wouldn't allow a Maia/Elven union's unless it was of the utmost importance, like he didn't allow Elven/Mannish unions, which were said to be a consequence of the marring of Arda. Remeber Eru knows best. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2003, 03:30 AM   #5
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Sting

Certainly Eru knows best.
But I was also wondering...I have read, can't remember where, something which implied that Iluvatar wasn't altogether pleased with Manwe's decision to call the elves to Valinor.
Was Melian's enchantment of Elwe, and thus the tarrying of the large part of the Teleri, a plan of Iluvatar...
another thing, the Istari were, I believe,divested of some of their Maian memory and knowledge when they took up the human form of the Istari. Could the same have happened to Melian?
Old 03-27-2003, 10:51 AM   #6
Afrodal Fenyar
Haunting Spirit

Afrodal Fenyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Maybe not Eru's plan, but it was, anyways, sung in the Song of Ainur.

And the istari lost their memories due to their reincarnation. Melian wasn't reincarnated. Or was she?

~Eomer
Afrodal Fenyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #7
akhtene
Shade of Carn Dûm

akhtene has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Fine reasoning, Inderjit
One more thing to ad: the Sindar got a king who had seen the Light of Valinor, but wasn't bound to the Undying land either by longing or by hatered (unlike the Noldor). So if all that was planned, it was planned really well [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
akhtene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:29 PM   #8
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm thinking it was most definately supposed to happen, and worked for the benifit of ME...If nothing else, no Melian, no Doriath, no Thranduil, No legolas. No Celeborn and Galadriel, either. And Elrond and elros wouldn't be quite as special, either. Also, Earendil, assuming he still came to be, wouldn't have had the silmaril, and would never have got through to Valinor... Whoa. If those two hadn't fallen in love, Morgoth would have won. And it might be good if the Numenorean kings weren't quite as high....although I always suspected the later ones at least were stoners.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:25 AM   #9
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, those later ones were probably stoners, but they still were good for something. If it weren't for them, then Sauron wouldn't have been caught in the destruction of Numenor, become a shade, and never able to assume a fair form again. That way, he could never "seduce" anyone, especially an Elf, ever again.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 09:55 AM   #10
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
Eru wouldn't allow a Maia/Elven union's unless it was of the utmost importance, like he didn't allow Elven/Mannish unions, which were said to be a consequence of the marring of Arda. Remeber Eru knows best.
Provide your source for this.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 10:36 AM   #11
Aredhel Idril Telcontar
Wight

Aredhel Idril Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I won't repeat all the benefits that were written, but certainly, Middle Earth did get a big slice of the cake from her coming there.
In my mind, the whole Manwe's scheme of getting the Elves to Valinor was completely wrong and caused the fading. Iluvatar probably knew that something like that would happen and gave Melian 'a little nudge out of the door' to help keep as many Elves in Middle Earth as possible.
It worked, for a little while anyway.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:00 PM   #12
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

We talked about this in the chatroom a couple of days ago, actually.

No Thingol/Melian, no Luthien, no Dior, no Elwing...thus Earendil doesn't gains posession of the Silmaril, doesn't ride to Aman to seek the aid of the Valar, no War of Wrath, Morgoth remains on his throne as Dark Lord.

Hard to say what events could've replaced these. Doriath was such a large factor in the events of the First Age. Doriath practically was Beleriand (it was, minus the coast, Hithlum, and Ossiriand). Perhaps with the Noldor facing Morgoth on their own and falling faster, the Valar, in great pity, would come to their aid? I'm not sure. I think it took Earendil asking for aid with a Silmaril. Who knows what other heroes would've came out?

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: Legolas ]
Old 06-23-2003, 12:15 PM   #13
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

It definitely took Earendil's plea before the Valar for them to send the Host of the West to Beleriand's aid. The Elves tried pleading for aid, but that didn't work. The ships that Cirdan sent didn't work. Ulmo just sent Voronwë back, saying that he would have to wait for another one to come.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #14
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Quote:
...Manwe was wiser; or being ever open to Eru he did His will, which is more than wisdom....Manwe was bound by the commands and injunctions of Eru, and would do this or abstain from that in accordance with them, always...
Osanwe-kenta.

See also Did the Valar make a huge mistake?.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote