Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2002, 03:19 PM   #441
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"Then assuredly we shall not feed them to Angara," laughed Mithadan. "This is the point I meant to make. There are arguments in favor of saving some few of your people, perhaps an assortment of women and children, and there are arguments against. The most persuasive argument in favor is that many will die in the attack. And if we do so, why don't you tell me where we should bring them?"
Old 08-07-2002, 03:37 PM   #442
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

"Mithadan," Child stammered, "I do not doubt your good will or your heart, but you must think of the consequences as well."

"It seems to me that your choices are limited. You can bring a small group of women and babes to rest upon the Star, and perhaps promise to try and reunite them with their families after the war which even the hobbits understand is coming. Turgon may not think there will be an attack, but I have yet to speak with a single hobbit who agrees with him. They know there will be war, and that they will be among its victims."

"But can you really guarantee the safety of these hobbits? Can you be certain you can get them through the tunnel without an attack? And what about the dragon flights? Our ship is docked far away. And how many times have you told us that we must not interfere with the events of the past unless we are sure of what we do? Are we certain here? "

"If you feel you will succeed, I will travel to Maura Tuk tonight and persuade him to pull out women and children who will leave in the morning. I believe I know the words to say to him."

Mithadin sat without saying anything for a long time. Then he turned to Child, with a slight glint in his eye..................

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-07-2002, 04:03 PM   #443
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

"Let us consider one matter before you make your proposal to Maura Tuk," said Mithadan.

He turned and whispered quickly to Pio, whose eyes opened wide in surprise for a moment.
Old 08-07-2002, 05:01 PM   #444
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

No sleep came for Pio that night.

She had returned to her room and shrugged off her party finery like so much unnecessary baggage, leaving it an untidy heap on the floor.

Pulling on her light leather leggings and a long sleeved leather shirt, she sat on her bed in a pool of soft lamplight. She seemed to frown, but it was only the concentration mirrored in her face as she carefully inspected each of her weapons.

Two long knives for in-fighting, two well-balanced shorter blades for throwing, and her sword were all pulled from the baldric lying on her bed and checked closely for nicks, dirt, and dull edges. She had done this already on the ship, but a second inspection before an engagement was always her practice.

The blades all shone clean and smooth in the light, and the edges proved razor sharp. Like a bumbling beginner, she had run a finger along the sword edge admiring its sharpness, and now she sat sucking the thin line of blood it had drawn.

Satisfied with her inspection, she replaced the knives in their holders and the sword in its scabbard, first lightly oiling the leather grip. The baldric gleamed from it's earlier cleaning and oiling, and the blades all slipped out easily from it when she put her hand to them.

Her last blades were the knives she kept in her boot tops. They too proved battle ready, though she knew that if it came to them, there was little hope left to her.

As she worked with her blades, she thought about the idea that Mithadan had whispered to her. It was a dangerous one, and she did not relish the idea of an experiment which might prove fatal to a friend. Dawn, was still far away, she thought, and there would still be plenty of time to consider it more fully.

For now, her objective was to contact Angara, to update her as needed, and to check any growing resolve on her part to join the actual fray. Pio was unsure how the sight of her corrupted kin might affect the dragon when she caught sight and sound of them.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:00 PM   #445
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara, are you there?!

Of course, I'm here, you half-witted half-elf! Where else would I be? Hemmed in by bossy eagles, all with a suspicious eye on yours truly!

A little testy are we, dragon? What about me - balrogs, orcs, and wicked wyrms on my plate tomorrow. I should be the one whining!

Hmmmph!! At least you will have the opportunity to strike a few blows, not sit here like some impotent two bit player waiting for word of what goes on.

Speaking of what goes on, Angara - you will probably not be too happy with this new plan of Child's. Or did she tell you of it?

Plan?! Spit it out, elf! What is it?

Pio filled Angara in as best she could about Child's plan to stay with the Gondolin hobbits, Mithadan's counter plan, and the possible plan to bring back some of the hobbit women and children. Angara was silent for a few moments, though the elf could feel anger humming like an electric current as the dragon considered these revelation.

The Man's plan is too risky. As much as Bird annoys me at times, I would not see her dead. And what will we do with a boat load of frightened hobbits? We have nowhere to put them! Child's plan I knew about, but I see now there are so many places it might go wrong. I should be down there, overseeing these plans!

Pio felt the resolution to action rise in Angara's thoughts, and then a loudly muttered, '. . .damnable eagles!' ripped through her mind as the action was denied.

Angara, there is still more we need to discuss. You must be ready tomorrow night to fly us out of here as soon as the eagles have retrieved us. It will be Mithadan, myself, Rose, and Bird who will return. Child is resolved upon her plan, and she will not be dissuaded.

I will be ready, Elf. See that you get the others back safely.

One last thing dragon, and I ask this as a favor for myself, please relay these instructions to Daisy and Veritas should I find myself unable to do so.

Pio gave Angara a long list of intructions, then asked her to please repeat them as it was very important they be given clearly and fully to the intended persons. When she had finished repeating them, the dragon asked -

What could possibly keep you from delivering these yourself?

Morgoth, dear Angara, and his bloody battle!

For the rest of the night she sat in silence,lightly fingering the pendant on the chain round her neck, and watched the stars slowly move in their courses, 'til red-tinged dawn obliterated them.

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-07-2002, 06:28 PM   #446
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was pacing back and forth in her room unable to sleep. Her clothing from the feast lay dumped on the floor. Her belt and pouch lay carefully packed by the door, and she wore the simple outfit which Idril had left for her.

Thankfully, Rose still lay sleeping in the bed, oblivious to the ferment boiling up about her. Child had gone to Mithadan's room and foraged among his belongings to find every map of the First Age that he had brought along. Then she had burgled her way into Idril's household library and pulled out several navigational charts. A simple refrain kept running through her head. "The ship is too far away." You couldn't ask Angara to make repeated trips back and forth to the Lonely Star, when she had to fly so far. It was physically impossible.

They needed a temporary staging point, a place to drop the hobbit women and children. The ship could then sail north along the coast to pick them up in a day or two. Yet, when Child scrutinized the maps, so much of the land looked threatening and inhospitable, with Morgoth's Orcs and allies controlling mile after mile of territory.

There was one island in the middle of the Firth of Drengist, which might have worked, if only they had longer to prepare and journey back and forth. But, with only a single day to plan and carry out their ideas, that island looked extremely far away. For, although Angara was a great dragon, there were limits to her endurance and strength.

Child desperately wanted there to be some way for Mithadan's audacious plan to succeed. And she had to admire the stubborness in the Man's heart which refused to concede defeat. But she knew that Pio had serious doubts about what Mithadan was trying to do, and how many hobbits might be killed by their desperate measures. And Pio was probably right.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:31 PM   #447
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Bird sat in a tree by the fountain of Idril's garden. The dinner long over, the house dark in slumber.

The discussion with Child, and the confrontation between Mithadan and Maeglin had put the skin-changer in a "fey" mood. She could accept that this city would fall, resign herself to the fact that by a second sunrise the work of centuries would be a smoking ruin.

What she could not accept was the blindness of its King. Bird had always carried a chip on her shoulder when it came to the Elf Folk, jibing and ridiculing their ways while always knowing that they were far more, and far better than herself.

But now she had seen what Elven pride and love of beauty could lead to. The King had ignored every warning, even from his kin. Even from the Valar! Turgon's love of his creation was every bit as greedy and grasping as the love of gold in the Dwarf Folk. And Bird knew that it was wrong, very wrong.

She had an overwhelming urge to stand before Turgon and smash the most delicate, skillfully crafted piece she could find in the city, and shout ""See! It's stone and metal! And to preserve it you would sacrifice flesh and blood! Take your people and flee! You can build again. After all, you have forever."

Bird looked frantically around the silent garden, finally seeing a piece of delicate statuary, balanced on a plith of marble, rising from the flowers. Suddenly she darted towards the artwork, flailing it with her wings until it teetered, toppled, and fell with a crash to the paving stones below. "Stone and metal. That's all it is! Stone and metal!" she hissed.

The spell passed, and Bird sat on the plith, gazing down at a scattering of shards, totally meaningless. She drew a deep, ragged breath. "Whereever you think you are going Child. I'm going, too. But before I do, I'll be there to watch Maeglin die. I will. I'll see him die."
Old 08-07-2002, 11:42 PM   #448
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child threw down her charts in frustration. She didn't need Mithadan to tell her that their plan would never work. She already knew it in her own heart. And how could they ever rescue anyone, when the Elf and Man could not even reach agreement among themselves?

Child decided that she wanted to talk to someone, but everyone was asleep or buried in their own thoughts. Then she knew what she had to do, what she wanted to do. She wanted to talk to another of her own kind about something that had been troubling her since that first night in Gondolin.

Child gathered up her belongings, slipped out of the house past the dozing guard, and ran to the servant's chamber behind the stable to knock on Lindo's door. Lindo did not question the late hour or her reason for coming. Within a few moments, the two had mounted ponies and were cantering down the lanes.

In a short time, Child found herself standing outside Maura's house, her pony tied to a nearby branch. She asked Lindo to retrieve her in a little while, after they'd had a chance to talk.

Maura motioned Child to walk outside, and then asked, "What has happened? We were expecting you tomorrow. Did your friends suggest you speak with me again?"

"No, no," murmurred Child. "It wasn't my friends. I was the one who felt I needed to see you tonight. It is late, but I have thought and thought a hundred times about what you said this morning. I can't help but feel you are right to insist that your people stay and hold on, as you were taught by Ancalimon. Yet I also fear what will happen, especially to those who are weak and vulnerable. The Man and Elf believe that Gondolin will face a fierce attack that can only bring death and destruction. And I am afraid they are right."

"Maura, it is the women with young children whom I most fear for. Even in times of battle, a commander will protect those who can't defend themselves. I do not believe that Ancalimon would want you to expose these precious ones to such danger, at least if another way were possible. My friends have been searching their souls and have struggled to come up with a plan of rescue for those most weak and vulnerable."

"But no matter where they looked or how long they talked, they came up with only confusion. In fact, now I think they are quarreling because they cannot agree whether to do this thing or that."

"Maura, we have failed, my friends and I .....we have come so far, yet we have failed. We can not change anything."

And then she looked him in the eye, "How can life be so hard sometimes?"

There was absolute silence between them as they walked along.

Then Maura fixed on her with grey eyes, solemn and shining, and gently said, "Nitir, just because you can not do the thing that you so desperately wanted to do, does not mean you have failed. How many times do we set out on one road in life so sure of our journey, and then stumble onto another path which is really the one we ought to have taken in the first place?"

And then the words came tumbling out of Child, the words which had so pressed on her mind since their first night in Gondolin. "But why would Ninnia have said as she did unless she meant for us to help rescue at least some of our people."

Maura turned to her and gently asked. "And what has Nienna to say about this?"

"On my first night in Gondolin, before I visited you, I saw a strange thing in my dream." And she told him of the distant land and the tall Lady with the silver edged skirts. And she described how the Lady had bent down to bless her and shared with her two secrets. First, that she must use her wits and heart to protect hobbits who were weak and vulnerable, and second, that someone dwelling in the house of Nienna would be sent to show patience and pity."

Maura quietly asked, "And have you ever seen or heard this Lady before?"

Child glanced up at him and laughed, 'Oh, no, I am no seer or prophet to see or understand such things."

He put both his hands in his pockets and shook his head, "Perhaps you are more than you know. And perhaps Nienna has another way for you to protect the hobbits than the one you and your friends have designed."

"Nitir, I am not sure of many things in life, but I do know this. If the great Lady spoke to you, and this is a rare thing, she would not want you to despair even before you have begun your task. We need you. This community needs and wants teachers who can work with young hobbits. And that is true whether we live here in the peace of Gondolin or find ourselves forced out onto some path of exile or imprisonment."

"Go back to Idril's house. Rest and think on the words we've shared tonight. If you think that this path is for you, return here in the morning."

As Child left, he turned to her one last time, an uncertain look on his face. "And you are certain that you have never spoken with Ancalimon before?" he queried.

She shook her head, "Not unless he holds some other name in the places where I have lived." Then she and Lindo mounted their ponies again and raced back across the city. All her belongings, however, including her belt and sack, lay inside the small burrow awaiting her return the next day.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:29 AM   #449
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

The sun rose bright and promising on the day. Throughout the house, people had risen early in preparation for the feast of Tarnin Austa, the Gates of Summer, celebrating the start of that season in Gondolin.

For years without number had the coming of summer been greeted with just such a great and solemn ceremony. At midnight of that day, all voices would be hushed, until the break of day when ancient songs would rise up to fill the air. That night would silver lamps be lit in the city, while in the groves would hang lights of jeweled colors, and the low music of various instruments would fill the ways. Then, at the sun's first rising, would the coming of summer be greeted by the music of choirs standing upon the gleaming eastern wall.

All in Gondolin looked forward each year with joy to this celebration, and this year was to be no different in their minds.

----------------------------------------

Pio went downstairs to break her fast with some fruit and a cup of chilled wine. She took them into the atrium, and sat on a bench in the sun, letting the wine and the sun's warmth drive the chill from her body. She listened to the music of the water on the rocks in the fountain, hoping to find some small comfort in it. But the sound seemed discordant today, and no comfort came.

Her food and drink done, she thought to stretch her legs a little. Exiting the house, with a nod to the guards, she strode down into the city.

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-08-2002, 07:05 AM   #450
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child was still asleep as the morning sun made its way upward into the sky. The first thing she felt was Rose's hand upon her shoulder as she shook her softly and whispered, "Child, wake up. Why did you take your things last night over to Maura's home?."

Child yawned and struggled to reach up beyond the edge of sleep which still tugged at her. At first her mind refused to focus. Then, she rolled over and smiled at the young hobbit, wondering how she could possibly know that. "I had to go over to the hobbit village late last night after the feast ended, and I decided to leave them there since I still have more business later today."

Rose laughed, "Yes, I already know. Lindo saw me this morning when I first woke up, and went down to the stables to see the ponies."

You know, Child," she continued , "If you already had the pony to ride, you should have taken my things too so I didn't have to drag them over on foot by myself this morning. I've been up for hours while you were asleep."

Child glanced around the room only to discover that it had now been stripped bare of both their belongings.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:19 AM   #451
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

After dressing and eating a light breakfast, Child padded softly down the hallway to Mithadan's door. She hesitated for a moment and then knocked.

"Mithadan, it's Child." The door slowly opened to reveal the figure of Mithadan, still dressed in his black gown. His face looked tired and worn. Child sighed and said, "I wanted to let you know. I couldn't sleep last night, and I made my way with Lindo over to the hobbit village. I saw Maura again."

"Even without my words, he understands that an attack will come sometime soon. I told him of how we struggled and struggled with the hope of finding some way to protect at least a small group of those hobbits most weak and vulnerable. But, wherever we looked, and however we searched, there did not seem to be any way."

"He was not surprised or disappointed, but said it was what he expected, that some things like this can not be changed or shifted, but must be lived through. In fact, the only concern he voiced was that, now that this matter was settled, my friends pack their belongings and leave this city. He said the doom may come tomorrow, or perhaps not for many months, but he was certain it would be here, and there was no need for any more to suffer than was needed."

"Mithadan, I agree with him. I see no more reason for either of us to linger here at Idrl's house. I will ride over to the hobbit village now, and I hope you will take Pio and Rose and Bird and also leave. Perhaps, if the powers will, we will see each other again some day."

Child turned to depart down the hallway, but then stopped. She ran back to Mithadan who still stood in the doorway, and then she did something she might not even have thought possible. She wrapped her arms around his lean, tall form and nestled her head in the crook of his arm, whispering, "Thank you. Thank you for the care you have shown my people. I will never forget what you have tried to do."

Then she ran down the hall and out of the house to her pony which stood saddled and waiting near the front lane.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #452
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan looked at the Hobbits retreating back as she rushed down the hall headlong to wherever her fate would bring her. He shook his head sadly. A remarkable race, these Hobbits. Quiet, peaceful and rustic, yet capable of great bravery and greater deeds. The breaking of their small fellowship grieved him greatly, all the more so because there was no guarantee that Child would survive to be rescued; indeed no guarantee that she would live beyond tomorrow. Yet this did not stop her.

He had not even had the opportunity to tell Child that he and Pio had spent an evening agonizing over their choices only to reach the conclusion that to attempt the rescue of any of the Hobbits at this time presented too much risk, both to the Halflings as well as to he and his friends. He thought back to Idril's words to Child when they resolved to undertake this task: "Not all things in this world can be mended, little hobbit. Remember that."

But these words gave him little consolation. He felt an overwhelming need to act, but knew he could not. And the unfulfilled need tasted almost like cowardice.

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]
Old 08-08-2002, 11:32 AM   #453
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Pio walked toward the Way of Running Waters and then down it toward the King's Square.

She stopped briefly at the Fountains of the South and filled her senses with the sounds and sight of the clear, sweet water of Gondolin as it played in the air and then fell to caress the rock. She drank it in and sought to burn it in her memory.

At the Road of Pomps, she turned left and came at last to Gar Ainion, the Place of the Holy Ones. It was a place of exquisitely simple form and harmony, meant, she knew, to give both comfort and a sense of connectedness with the greater plan of Eru. But where were they now, these Great and Holy Ones who loved the Firstborn? They had abandoned them to evil,she thought bitterly, and would come too late for any comfort.

She passed on then and entered the Square, making her way at last to the great fountain which stood before the Tower of the King. It was the heart of the Square, and the most beautiful and beloved of all the fountains in the city. Natural rock rose high in the air and from it fell many streams of pure water, singing their way down the craggy sides to fill the clear, deep basin at its foot. Pio knelt before it, trailing her fingers in the pool and wept, her tears mingling with the waters in the basin. Passerbys thought her overcome by the beauty of their creation, but it was for them that her tears flowed.

Dry-eyed at last, her mind emptied, she sat and listened to the fountain's song in all it's infinite variations.

And when it had grown dark, and no sound save that of water and the low music of softly played instruments filled the air, she stood up and made her way quickly back to Idril's house.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #454
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child knew the route so well that she saw little need to bother Lindo for an escort. She went to tell him that, but he held up his hand and laughed.

"No, Nitir, today I will ride with you not because you do not know the way but because it is the eve of a great holiday and I go home to be with my family. Idril has given me permission, saying that all has been prepared in advance for the festival and there is no need for my help."

Child drew in a sharp breath, "Perhaps she will need you later. Perhaps you should stay till the morning and then come over."

Lindo laughed, "You are certainly concerned with Idril's household needs. If you decide not to teach, perhaps you can serve as part of the Lady's house. But let's not worry about that. My parents expect me home today, and I want to arrive there as soon as I can."

Child said nothing. She noticed that he had shed his more ornate Elven garments, and was dressed in the simpler clothing of his people. The two mounted their ponies, and, in a short while, Child again found herself home among her people.

Old 08-08-2002, 12:03 PM   #455
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan elected to don his cloak and hood and take to the streets of the city during daytime hours. Now that the King had greeted him, there was no longer the risk that he would be seized as an intruder. Even so, he examined carefully the insignia of all who passed watching for the emblem of the House of the Mole. Rose accompanied him on the meander through the ways of Gondolin.

All the colors about him seemed fresh and new as if just conceived on an artists palate. The air was crisp and clear and filled with the sound of splashing water and the scent of flowers and fruit. The greens of the lawns and trees in particular seemed to glow in the light of the sun. This was the Beleriand he had always dreamed of. The white towers pierced the blue sky and everywhere there were Elves, working, singing, playing and beginning the celebration which would climax with the coming dawn -- in tragedy. In 24 hours, the city would be in flames. Indeed, this was Beleriand, both the sweet and the bitter.

Rose said little as they walked, though she would, at times smile at the beauty of a fountain or giggle at the antics of a minstrel. Yet she too was consumed by her thoughts. As the day waned, she claimed weariness and retired to her room when they returned to Idril's house. Mithadan stayed outside as the sun dipped behind the mountains to the west, and as the towers turned first red, then grey, he commited the place to memory and went inside to rest and then arm himself. He did not notice the stars as they emerged; to him it was a black night.
Old 08-08-2002, 12:36 PM   #456
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had spent the day helping Zira with Abar and wth the family's small household tasks. Now they sat down together to share dinner.

"Auntie Nitir," laughed Abar, "Why didn't you bring your crow with you.? I saved lots of food for him."

Child smiled and said, "Perhaps, he will visit later." Her heart felt sad with longing for Bird and Pio.

Child dutifully pushed her food from one side of her plate to the other. Yet all the time her ears strained to hear the noises of the night, waiting for the first hint of what was to happen. As the hobbit burrows stood just east of the North Gate, Child suspected that they would be the first to hear the sound of battle and bear the brunt of the attack.

But the first indication did not come quite as she had expected. Just as they were finishing the meal, Abar ran from the table over to the window and pointed out toward the north. "Grandfather, look, someone has turned the sky from black to red, and the stars have all disappeared. Let me go out and see."

The child ran towards the door, but Nitir ran after to grab him by the arm and pull him back inside. "No," she commanded, "You must not leave this house."

Maura got up and looked out the window and went to his mantle place and pulled down a sword. Then he picked up his bow with its quiver of arrows. He turned and looked over at Nitir, and whispered softly, "You told true, woman. For I heard in your words more than you said. The beast has come to Gondolin."

Outside the gate, in the distant hills, they could hear the screams of the guards in the distant night as the enemy had their way with them.

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-08-2002, 03:16 PM   #457
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Birdland woke Mithadan from his nap by pecking on his forehead. He sat up waving his arms about as the sleep fell from his eyes. "What is it Bird?"

"Rose," she replied. "She is gone!"

Mithadan jumped up and pulled on his clothing. "She picked a poor night to wander off," he growled.

"No!" responded Bird. "She did not wander off. She is gone! She has packed her things and is gone!"

Mithadan blanched at this news. He ran to the window and looked to the north, but saw nothing, although he noted the stars were obscured by thick clouds. The attack had not begun yet, but there was little time left. "Summon Pio immediately!" he cried to Bird, even as he pulled on his leather vest and mail. By the time Bird returned with the Elf, he was fully armed.

"Where has she gone?" cried Pio. "We have little time to waste. I had planned to wait for the assault to encircle the city before making our escape through the Secret Way. The attack will begin soon!"

Mithadan glanced out the window at the northern horizon. "The attack has begun now," he answered grimly. The tops of the northern peaks were dyed red with the glow of many fires. "To find Rose we will have to find Child, I would think. The girl must have decided to join her friend and throw in with the Hobbits of Gondolin. We must hurry."

Pio and Mithadan raced for the doors. The streets were a confusion of shouting and rushing figures. Tuor ran from the house bearing his axe and clad in mail. "Morgoth is upon us!" he cried. "We must prepare for siege! You may join my company if you wish." Then he ran on into the night. Mithadan did not follow. He instead turned to the north and moved into the throngs in the streets. Pio hesitated a moment, looking back at Idril's house and the running figure of Tuor. Then she followed Mithadan. Bird flew swiftly above them towards the Hobbit burrows.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #458
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura went to another corner of the small home and pulled up a wooden door which had been cleverly concealed inside the boards of the floor. Nitir peered down into the darkness. Under the boards was a small and dank tunnel which had been hollowed out by hand. It did not appear to lead anywhere but could be used for concealment and disguise.

Maura explained curtly, "We are not such dreamers as you think. Every family has one of these. I know that they are nothing against an invasion, but the holes may buy us a few minutes of peace until we decide what actions, if any, will help."

He looked at his daughter and motioned to her to get down into the tunnel with the boy. Then he looked at Nitir, "Ban and I must go and meet with the men at the designated place. Can you handle a sword?"

Child answered grimly, "Not as well as I can a dagger and bow." She held up the two blades to show him and nodded towards the bow leaning against the corner of the room.

"Here." He handed her a sword. It was of exquisite Elven quality, pefectly sized for a hobbit, and with gems inlaid upon the hilt. In her own world, such a blade would command considerable respect.

He said to her, "Go down in the tunnel or stand alert beside the door with your blade poised."

Nitir nodded and took her position by the doorway. She gave her second dagger to Zira so that she too would have some defence. Before they left, Ban and Maura hammered up boards to cover over the window, and then turned to give final instructions. "Open the door to no one unless they speak Elvish. Our whole community understands that no Orc will know or use the golden tongue. If, for any reason, you must flee this burrow and go to another, you must do the same to be admitted into another home."

He paused one moment to catch his breath. And, Nitir, if you have a choice, flight is preferable to hopeless fighting and death."

She turned to the two men just before they raced out the door, "Please be careful, and come back as soon as you can."

Down below in the tunnel, Nitir could hear the child who had begun with loud and beseeching wails, while his mother tried hopelessly to comfort him.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:33 PM   #459
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nitir stood poised by the front of the house, her sword in one hand and dagger in another. She had pulled the table in front of the doorpost, hoping to block any unwanted intruders. Her mind ran back to Bilbo's tales. She thought she remembered that there were no invaders in the city itself until the great North Gate fell, and this would not happen for several hours. But she was not about to put her trust in an old tale alone. So she stood in front of the door with two weapons in hand, her heart beating fiercely.

Old 08-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #460
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

At that instant Nitir heard a sound like nails or a weapon scraping against the wooden boards that had been hammered over the window. Then she heard pounding of a fist on the door. She strained her ears to hear the sound of Elvish words that would tell her it was safe to throw open the door, but she heard no words of Elvish.

Outside, in the streets, the noise and tumult were growing as people ran this way and that to try and reunite with loved ones. Nitir could hear nothing above the despairing cries of the throng as babies howled and men shouted orders to their wives and children in a vain attempt to guide them through the mob to their homes. She strained her ears again, and detected a small voice crying out, not in Adunaic or Elvish or even the vile Orcish tongue. Instead, she heard faint words of Westron, a sound so out of place in this tableaux of destruction and fear.

Nitir inched over to the door latch, fumbled with the inner lock, and then pried open the door only far enough to peer through the opening and thrust her sword out. As she gazed about, she at first saw nothing, but then stared down to the crumpled figure of a hobbit girl, a figure that looked all too familiar. Nitir threw her weapons down inside and dragged the unconscious form through the threshold into the safety of the house.

Old 08-08-2002, 05:51 PM   #461
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

As they rushed through the streets, what had begun as chaos attained a degree of order. While there could still be heard the wailing of children and the cries of maidens, from all sides the warriors of Gondolin rushed to their musters. Mithadan saw the insignias of many houses as he ran towards the north; the emblem of Turgon's knights, the moon, sun and scarlet heart; the white wing; the swallow; the bright arch; the pillar; the white tower; the rayed sun; and others besides. The warriors bore swords, axes, bows and other weapons of dread. All were grim but calm and many seemed confident of the strength of their arms and the walls of the city.

Mithadan and Piosenniel were forced to dodge and detour around the gathering soldiery of the city, at times going far out of their way so that the journey took far longer than they expected. At last they approached the north gate and again their progress was slowed for the knights of the Houses of the Swallow and the Heavenly Arch were rushing to the walls carrying bows and quivers with many arrows. The tops of the walls now glowed red and they could hear the bellows and roars of the dragons which had rushed across Tumladen to the foot of Amon Gwareth.

Struggling through the crowd, Pio and Mithadan reached the streets leading to the dwellings of the Hobbits, and here Bird, who had flown ahead, joined them. "The doors of the holes are closed and re-enforced with such barriers as the Hobbits could find," she said. "There is no sign of Rose or Child, but many Hobbit bowman are on the walls."

Old 08-08-2002, 06:53 PM   #462
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Rose's body felt heavy and unresponsive under Nitir's touch. The older hobbit felt so terribly useless. She had no skills in nursing other than the simple remedies she had learned in rearing her own children.

Nitir pushed the table back to barricade the door, and knelt down beside her friend. At that moment, the door covering the tunnel slowly pushed up, and Zira lifted herself onto the floor of the house. "Like my mother, I am trained in healing. I will look at her wounds." She gently nudged Nitir to the side.

"What about Abar?" the older woman asked.

"He is fine for the moment. He has fallen asleep," she replied.

Zira's hands were skilled and gentle as she carefully examined the girl. "Your daughter is lucky. Only a hard bump on the head. She must have been thrown against the doorpost by all the commotion in the street. I think she will wake in a little bit."

As if in response, Rose stirred and slowly opened her eyes, "Child," she whispered, "where am I? Why did you leave without me?"

The older hobbit replied, "For the moment you are safe in Maura's house, and we are togther. We have barricaded the doors so no one can enter."

"Enough of that," Zira said. If you can manage your way down the tunnel, you must lay and rest for a while. I have a small bed there."

Zira said nothing about the strange name which the girl had used to call her mother, or the hobbit's reference to having been left behind. As Zira climbed back down the tunnel, Nitir leaned over to the girl and whispered, "You must remember to call me 'mother' here, and don't forget, your name is 'Azra.' You should not have followed me. It is far too dangerous, but I will tell you truthfully that I am so happy to know that I will not be alone in this strange land. " Rose fell into Child's arms, and the two women embraced.

Old 08-08-2002, 07:56 PM   #463
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

Mithadan and Pio raced up a spiral staircase leading the the top of the wall. There was a wide walkway there upon which three could stride comfortably abreast. The wall was lined with Elvish archers all of whom were looking down on the plain below. Mithadan looked over as well and saw a sight he would never forget. The plain around the foot of the hill writhed with dragons. Many were spouting fire and those near the streams which flowed down the hill were causing great steams to billow up. Others were clawing at the glassy slopes seeking a way up to the walls. None were able to find purchase. Behind the worms strode several tall figures, black but wreathed in flames, bearing whips which they used to spur on the great beasts. Still farther out on the plain was a mighty army of orcs who were rapidly approaching Amon Gwareth. In the red light, it seemed as if the entire plain were covered in ants moving in unison with horrible purpose.

One of the tall, fiery figures stepped forward and guided a dragon to the foot of the hill. Then a second was placed lying upon the first. The Elves, who had cheered when the worms had failed to climb the slope, now grew silent.

Piosenniel shook Mithadan, shouting "We haven't much time." The two ran along the parapet seeking any Hobbits. After a moment they found a group, standing with bows in hand and grim expressions. Pio stepped up to one and asked "Maura Tuk?" The Halfling shook his head and pointed to another farther along the wall.

Mithadan ran to the Hobbit and shouted above the din, "Maura Tuk, we are seeking Child and Rose. We must find them now!" Maura tore himself away from the sights below to look up at the man with a quizzical look on his round face. "Who?" he responded. Pio interrupted, "They may have used other names. Our travelling companions, a girl and an older Hobbit maid."

"Oh, Nitir and Azra," he said. "I haven't seen Azra but Nitir is in my hole with my family. I'm not sure if she wants to see you though."

"Please..." began Pio, but a great roar drowned out her words. The dragons had nearly reached the North Gate and the Elves had loosed a stream of arrows and rocks upon them, to little effect save to raise their ire. Maura and his companions ran to join the Elven archers. Mithadan followed him, only to be stopped by Piosenniel. "We have no more time and they want to stay. Even if we find them, we may be slain while we attempt to convince them to join us. We must go. Now!"

"No!" cried Mithadan. "I told Child that I would bring Rose with us!"

Piosenniel grabbed Mithadan by his hood and pulled him close. "We must go!" she shouted. "If we die there will be no hope for Child, Rose or any of these Hobbits. Come now!" She pulled Mithadan along the parapet and down the stairs. As the reached the ground and began to run south, there was a great creaking behind them. They stopped and turned in time to see the great gate topple with a crash. A dragon's head appeared under the arch and loosed a great blast of flame. A shout came from the plain below and orcs began to appear in the doorway, only to perish in a hail of arrows.

Then, from above them, they heard Bird's voice calling "There, there! That is the house!"

They hesitated but a moment, then ran down a narrow lane even as a company of Elves charged into the fray behind them. They began pounding on the barricaded door.

Old 08-08-2002, 09:46 PM   #464
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Nitir lifted up the dagger from her lap and held it poised in mid-air fearing that the little burrow would soon be torn asunder by the waves of battle which were clearly approaching. All three women huddled in the center of the room facing the barricaded door, while the boy slept on in the tunnel below, oblivious to the tumult. In just the past few minutes, the room had grown oppressively hot, with smoke seeping inward along the seams of the doorway.

Azra was flushed both from the heat and her earlier wounding, but the horror and excitment pulsing through her body kept her upright and alert. She held aloft the Elven sword which the older hobbit had entrusted to her care. Nitir warned her, "Do not open the door unless you hear words in the Elvish tongue. These are the orders we have." The girl laid her head against the doorpost. With the massive confusion in the streets, it was hard to hear anything but the roar of battle.

But then came the Elvish words precise and clear from Piosenniel. "Rose, Child, open up the door, for it is us, your friends and comrades."

"Mother," she cried, "it's our friends. I can hear Piosenniel."

Nitir and Zira went to the heavy table and slid it back from the doorway, holding the door briefly ajar for the three figures to slip inside. An Elf, a Man, and a bedraggled crow pushed their way inside. Almost instantly behind them came another knock, followed by a command in Elvish, and the entry of three hobbits returned from the battle.

Ban collapsed onto the nearest bench, his wife running to his side. Maura leaned against the doorpost, holding onto his brother Raza who had been wounded. He gasped for air, as he bellowed out the news, "The North Gate has fallen. The city has been breached."

Mithadan stepped forward, and bent down to keep his head from knocking against the rafters. He nodded in acknowledgement to Maura Tuk. "We have little time. I gave my word of honor to the one you call Nitir that I would keep the young girl in my safety." He strode toward Rose, and held out his hand.

Maura looked at Nitir, and asked, "What would you have me do?"

Nitir stood up and shook her head, "My heart says to send the child back with my friends to the safety of the ship. But my head tells me something different. Azra is no longer a child. She has carried a woman's load of work and responsibility on our long voyage here. And just as I had the right to chose my path tonight, it is her free right to chose."

All eyes turned to the young hobbit to see what answer she would give. Nitir went over and took her hand, "You must chose quickly for there is little time. There is no right or wrong answer here, and no one will chastise you for the path you pick. I would see you safe at home, but go where your heart leads you."

Old 08-09-2002, 12:07 AM   #465
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

"Come...Azir," said Mithadan as he stretch a hand out to her. "You know our errand here and you know what we will do once we return to our home. Ch...Nitir will be fine. And we will come back to get her and the others here. Come quickly, for we can wait no longer." He smiled at the young Hobbit, a smile which appeared in the midst of a face smudged with soot and grime.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:54 AM   #466
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Time and patience had run out for Pio. Mithadan was determined to coax Rose into coming with them, and Pio could see Rose's resolve would not be put aside by words or promises. She pulled Child aside and said tersely, 'Tell Mithadan I will meet him back at Idril's house with or without Rose.'

She sped back southward, knowing full well that when the serpents reached the summit of the walls, then would Morgoth's armies pour over the city. Idril's house would be burned and the possibility of escape would grow exceedingly thin.

By the time she reached the house, the sky had grown red and redder. Serpents of fire had entered the city. Legions of foul orc had begun to sweep through the ways and alleys, spurred on by the presence of the balrogs.

The riotous clamor of battle now increased - shouts of the dread slayers mixing with the grim cries of the beleaguered and the dying.

She stood upon the terrace of Idril's house and looked out at the relentless advance of destruction. The Tower of the King still stood. And she could see the spray of the fountain before it, as it shot into the air, though the reflection of the serpents' fires now made it seem like blood.

Even as she stood there, she thought to go to the great square and lend her sword to the defense. But Idril stayed her with a hand, and asked the service of her weapons stay close. The Lady held her own sword in readiness as she scanned the area for approaching foe.

Too soon the battle came to them. The guards that Tuor had left engaged a small band of orcs. The song of steel rang in the courtyard as Pio ran down to join the fray.

She pulled the small knives from her baldric and threw them at two orcs attacking a wounded guard. One dropped with a knife to his neck. The other staggered from a leg wound, and she dropped him with a cut from her now drawn blade.

The yard was full of shouts and screams and heavy with the scent of blood. A controlled sort of chaos reigned as she and the other three guards formed a fighting line and advanced with sword and knife, slaying and pushing back the foul foe.

Then more orcs poured in, and the small band of defenders gave way before the increased number. Fighting with grim resolve, they sought a position from which to make a stand. But some of the orcs had gained entrance by the back way, and now the unknowing defenders stood tightly ringed by enemy. And still they fought on, the fury of their blows hewing down a rising number of attackers.

Death surprised her, when it came - a sudden flowering, dark red, spread across the front of her rent shirt as a craven spear pierced her from behind; a sharp'O!', as her blood welled over her fingers, spilling to the ground. Then came darkness, and the welcome release from pain.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:52 AM   #467
Losthuniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Losthuniel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<OOC: I've been away recently, what has happend?>
Old 08-09-2002, 07:13 AM   #468
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Azra looked at Mithadan and over towards Zira and Maura who had gathered near Raza in the adjoining room out of earshot to help tend his wounds. She lowered her tone, and spoke in a voice grown older and more solemn. "Nitir is right. I am no child anymore."

She gazed at Mithadan and said, "There is no safety anywhere tonight, not with you nor here with this family. But there is right, and there is wrong. Some things do not change, even in warfare or battle. I have sworn an oath to Kali, to help find his hidden kin. And there will be no kin to find unless the kuduk people live another day."

"Nitir and I have a job to do, and it is one no Man or Elf can share in. For a people must have hope, and that is the one thing we can bring in some small way. I will stay here."

Maura stepped through the door just as the girl's last words were spoken, and went over to put his hand on Azra's shoulder. He said quietly to Mithadan, "I will take your oath as my own, to take the maid with me and my family, and to guard her life as though she were my own daughter. I swear this to you."

"And although the danger tonight is great, we have had knowledge passed to us that the enemy wants not our heads on a platter, but, for some reason unknown, to drag us off into servitude. And hobbits are no fools, nor are we even Men who lay such high stock in dying for an honorable cause. We will fight on now while we may, but when the odds become too great, as I fear they will, we will lay down arms and feign submission to live and fight another day. For I too have been instructed that our duty as a people is to hold on and survive that we may someday play our role in a matter which will have great meaning, perhaps even greater than what has happened here tonight."

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #469
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

The sounds of battle drew near. Mithadan looked back at the door, then at the Hobbits who stood resolutely before him. "So be it," he said. "Maura, take care of these two so that perhaps one day we shall meet again." He looked at Child in grief, knowing that the passage of 70 years was likely before his return to Beleriand and that span of time would likely take her life. "Pio, let us go."

"Pio left a few minutes ago," said Child. "She said to meet her at Idril's house." Mithadan straightened at this, hitting his head on the low ceiling.

"She left alone?" he cried. "I must go. Farewell!" And with that, he turned and exited the burrow. Bird was perched nearby. She leaped into the air, crying "Follow me! Pio has gone already."

They turned west, away from the gate and ran through the streets to the southern part of the city. Bird guided him away from the roving bands of orcs and they made good time. Arriving at the courtyard of Idril's house, Mithadan observed a number of knights set at guard. Several of them bore the emblem of the House of the Mole. A number of orcs lay dead before the steps. Idril stood in the doorway, weeping bitterly.

"My Lady," cried Mithadan. "Are you well? Have you seen Piosenniel?"

"I am well," she responded tearfully. "But Pio..." She pointed to a body lying in the courtyard. Mithadan gasped and raced over to the body. "Pio! Pio! Tell me you yet live! Do not leave us here!" But there was no response. Mithadan cradled the body on his lap and rocked back and forth as tears flowed down his cheeks. Birdland alighted next to them and, to Idril's astonishment, returned to her human form. She knelt next to Mithadan in sadness. As the two mourned, several other knights of the Mole arrived to guard the house. Mithadan looked up at them and remembered where he was and what would soon happen. "Come Bird! We must go!" he cried.

"Without Pio?" asked Bird. "We cannot carry her body with us, " he answered. Idril, who had walked over, laid a hand on Mithadan's shoulder and said "Go. I will have the knights tend to her body. She died valiantly, protecting me from the foul orcs. I will not forget this."

Mithadan rose and staggered towards the house. Bird, taking the form of a crow again perched on his shoulder. "Go through the Secret Way, Mithadan. I will meet you at the far end. I have some business here," she said. He looked over at the Knights of the Mole and back at Bird. He nodded.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:20 AM   #470
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

LOSTHUNIEL

Please read the PM I sent you about reading the story from where you last left off.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:49 AM   #471
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Their eyes straining eastward, Khelek and Veritas kept a hopeful vigil that night.

Daisy and Kali had come on deck, and stood near them.

The wind was warm as it blew from Beleriand and moved over the silent watchers. It carried the sharp tang of burning, irritating their nostrils with it's unpleasant scent.

The night sky in the east waxed ever brighter with a fell red light.

Daisy and Kali huddled in closer to Veritas, shivering despite the warmth of the night. She pulled her cloak about the two, her eyes never leaving their eastward search.

'What is happening?' asked Daisy, fearing the answer. 'Something bad, something bad!'cried Kali.

Khelek's hands were hard-gripped upon the railing before him. He spoke softly, each word torn from his heart.

'Then it is so! The flower that grows on the plain has passed. The Fountain is no more, the music stilled, and even now the King dies within his flaming tower.' His trembling hand pointed to the small pillar of red flaring upward in the distance.

'Gondolin the Great is fallen.'
Old 08-09-2002, 12:29 PM   #472
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

'Our friends,' asked Daisy, viewing the burning with alarm. 'Shouldn't they be back soon? Can you see Angara anywhere?'

The elves shook their heads 'no', as they scanned the skies for the dragon.

'We should see them return this night or early in the morning.' said Veritas. 'We will keep watch until they do.'

She could not keep the note of worry from her voice, and Daisy heard it. Taking hold of Kali's hand, she stated firmly, 'Then we will keep watch, too.'
Old 08-09-2002, 03:17 PM   #473
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Maura Tuk and Ban quickly returned to the hobbit archers who were still mounted on the wall above the city. This time, they were not defending the north gate, but the homes of the hobbits themselves. They stood on their high perch shooting down arrow after arrow onto the heads of a growing multitude of Orcs who wielded broad-bladed spears and sharp scimiters.

Maura looked on in horror as he spied large bands of writhing wyrms and balrogs making their slow way into the heart of the city. Yet the hobbits were surrounded not by these gigantic creatures, but by an inexorable chain of Orcs, beginning to hack away at the round doors of the burrows with large axes and setting fires on doorsteps to smoke out whoever or whatever lay inside. Their numbers mounted close to two thousand, as the ugly creatures swarmed over every inch of soil within the hobbit village.

Tomba Bullroarer held up his hand to relay orders to the other hobbits, "This way is folly." he roared. "Our wives and sisters and daughters are being roasted alive, while we wait upon these walls." The walls themselves began to shake and waiver as, far below, wyrms and balrogs dug at the city's foundations and pummelled against the stone.

Bulroar nodded to Maura, "What say that we go down below, and give them a welcoming party? For myself I care not whether I live or die, but I have no wish to be responsible for spilling the blood of my wife and children or other female kin, should there be another way. If, as all have said, these Orcs wish to show us the hospitality of Morgoth, perhaps we should take them up on their offer and live still to split their heads some other day."

Maura nodded in assent, "But keep close, and come through the breech at the north gate in one group. For, if they lie, we will use our lives to make them pay dearly."

The group of hobbits fled together from the wall and regrouped below the gate. They came through wielding swords and bows. As they formed their lines again, a massive crush of Orcs surrounded them on all sides penning them up against the remnents of the city wall. Bullroarer strode forward, "Would you have our deaths? For you may surely take our lives but at a great price to your own."

The Orc Captain pushed forward. "If it were my choice, I would make short play of you tonight. I would kill you properly so you would beg for your lives to end. But I have other orders: to kill all, but not the halflings. For they are to be brought back alive, with as little spoiling as can be managed."

He glared, "Now, if you wish to remain unspoiled, you will tell your women and babes to come out of their dirty holes and join you at these gates."

He pushed a blade to Bullroarer's throat, "Tell the women to come, and bring no weapons, or else you all die. For we travel a long way, and you will weep with pain before we reach the prisons of Dorthonion."

Bullroarer sent several warriors to knock upon the burrow doors, and told each of the families to rejoin their kin by the gates. This was done quickly and with no hesitation.

The women and children came swiftly, carrying what few possessions they could manage. Among their number was Nitir and Azra, holding each other's hand, and Zira and her child, along with the injured Raza.

Nitir looked about on a scene filled with death and destruction. The blood, the smoke, the senseless bodies left by the way---all this filled her with revulsion and hatred of Morgoth and his Orcs. But still a part of her thought. I am alive and in one piece, and my people still live.

The Orc Captain gave orders and the large file of hobbit men, women, and children began to make their way slowly northward through the gate.

[ August 11, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 08-09-2002, 03:27 PM   #474
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Sting

With a heavy heart and weary beyond belief, Mithadan trudged through the Secret Way alone, where previously he had passed in the company of four others. The death of Piosenniel was a great weight on his soul. After a long march, he reached the end of the tunnel and passed though its hidden mouth. He stood on the plain and looked back at the burning city, then turned away in grief. Concealing himself near the exit of the Secret Way, he waited for Bird.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:49 PM   #475
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

As Idril prepared to leave with her followers she looked out once more one her burning city. But one image kept returning to her mind: the sight of a small black and white bird changing into a small woman, no longer young and clad in rags, weeping bitterly over the body of an Eldar.

She shook her head, wondering what path the Children of Man had followed down through the ages. By all appearances, the race had diminished, and yet somehow she knew that Piosenniel had given her friendship to this strange creature. It gave her hope that the promise of the race that she saw in her own, beloved Tuor had survived, and would be able to uphold the place that the Song of Eru had prepared for them.

The room where the body of Piosenniel lay was strangely quiet, as if the very sounds of the city's fall were forbidden to enter here. The body of the Elf that Idril had know and loved through the ages lay before her, while in the corridor the same maiden, barely beyond babyhood, waited for the adults to take her away from the chaos and pain that had suddenly taken over her world.

Holly appeared behind Idril, calling to her urgently, "My lady! Your husband and your household await you. Why do you tarry?"

Idril blocked the view of the room with her body. Holly would never know the fate of her only child. "I come. Join my husband and look to your daughter, I have one other task to do."

As Holly retreated down the corridor, Idril took a torch from the wall. Gazing one last time on the face of Piosenniel, she cast the torch upon the bed, and shut the door.

Bird flew toward the Secret Way, to her rendevous with Mithadan. The fall of Gondolin had no more effect on her. It had done the worst. No other sights or sounds could touch her. She saw the silver and black clad figure of Mithadan in the gloom before her, and hovered in front of him, like a hummingbird. She did not even wonder how she could do this.

"Bird! Come! We can only hope that the entrance to the tunnel has not been found and guarded by the enemy. Once through, we can join Angara and make it back to the ship."

"No Mith. You know I can't do that. I have to stay with Child and the others. Once I know where they are, and how they will fare, I'll come to the ship. Say hulloa to Kali and Levanto, please."

"Bird! No!" But she was gone. Mith was cursing through his tears. They had started out as six. Two would return.

[ August 09, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-09-2002, 07:29 PM   #476
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Bird flew as she had never before, back to the smials of the North Gate. But she was too late. Nothing was left but smoking ruins and small burnt figures laying on the scorched earth. She looked around frantically. All thoughts of seeing the demise of the Dark Elf who had caused this destruction had left her. She knew the fate of that one. What she didn't know was where her last friends were.

It was easy enough to find them with her sharp crow eyes. The string of small figures stood out amongst the crowd of Orcs and their other captives. Bird forgot all plans, all of Child's intentions and hopes. She did not want this to happen. She couldn't bear it.

"Nooooo!" she screeched, as she stooped on the Orc Captain at the head of the line. Small claws raked down skin like horn, doing little damage. Her wings batted against the iron helm. Bird rose, and struck again, screaming over and over "Noooo!"

"NOOOOOOOO!" The scream turned to a roar, as the Fifth transformation of the skin-changer began, brought on not by fear for her own life, but for love and fear for her friends. The black wings grew, stretched, and lost their feathers. The white body swelled and glowed. Scales spread from her legs, up and over, replacing the soft down.

In less than a minute, before the eyes of stunned halflings and cowering Orcs, a winged dragon, clad in glowing black and silver hovered in the air, and began its final stoop on the Orc captain.

"Bird, no!" came the faint, high scream of Child. And somehow, Birdie heard her. She paused, while Child screamed above the noise of battle. "Go to the ship. Tell them we are being taken to Dorthonian! Remember, Bird. Dorthonian. Now go back to the ship, before they kill you."

And in Bird's mind she heard "Well done, Changling. Though the color scheme is a bit unorthodox. Now come home."

Bird hovered, tears of adamant trickling from her eyes onto the stony slopes. (All dragons weep this way.) Then she turned and was gone, flying west, over the mountain.

By morning Gondolin, and the halflings, were gone.

[ August 10, 2002: Message edited by: Birdland ]
Old 08-09-2002, 11:14 PM   #477
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

Angara paced in frustration upon the stony ground of the pass. The eagles were on high alert, sweeping the pass for any sign of Morgoth's minions. Thorondor had forbidden her to join them under pain of death.

In the growing bedlam below, she had lost all contact with Pio, and that alarmed her. Search as she might, no sign of the elf's whereabouts came to her.

And where was Mithadan? She thought he had planned to have them all come back before the full force of Morgoth's might hit the city.

Something was wrong, horribly wrong and she could do nothing about it. Her tail slapped the side of a rocky outcropping, sending shards of rock every where. Her claws marked deep runnels in the rock she paced on.

'Guard your energy, dragon!' came the deep voice of Thorondor. 'You are your companions' last hope for a return to safety. We will guard the pass and keep it safe for their return, though we cannot save the city from its doom. The wrath of Bauglir is full upon it, and soon naught but ashes will show where once that fair city lay.'

Curls of smoke poured from Angara's nostrils as her anger mounted in frustration.

Then something caught her mind, and she grasped at a small sliver of hope - it was Bird! And a furious Bird at that! Attacking an orc which threatened Child.

Wonder shook her from her anger - it was Bird, but now grown into dragon form!!! Hysterical, rumbling laughter tumbled from deep within the dragon, and tears of relief fell tinkling on the stone.

'Have you gone mad, dragon?' asked Thorondor, thinking to call in some reinforcements to subdue Angara.

'No, no, dear King! Nothing of the sort! A small ray of hope has opened up for my companions. I would though that you be on the lookout for a curiously colored black and silver, winged dragon who should soon be approaching, hopefully with the other companions on her back. Do not fear her approach, She comes not from Morgoth. She is like to me.'

Thorondor fixed the dragon with a wary eye. 'Ah! I see! We are now to have two mad dragons in the pass. The thought brings little comfort to me, Wyrm. But I will tell the others to let her pass safely.'

With a great rush of wings, he took to the sky, leaving the grounded dragon below to scour the sky for signs of her returning friends.

[ August 23, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]
Old 08-09-2002, 11:16 PM   #478
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

Sting

OOC: And which of you doughty companions is going to tell Angara the news of Pio's death? Don't stand too near, she has a long reach and a quick temper.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:31 AM   #479
Child of the 7th Age

Sting

Child had stared in disbelief at the winged dragon circling above. Staring up at the blackened sky, she had called out her message and then watched with relief as the creature turned and veered skyward away from the ruins of Gondolin, flying swiftly towards the north and west. Sometime soon, Child knew, Bird would meet up with Pio and Mithadan and then fly onwards towards the waiting ship. They at least would be safe.

To Nitir, a winged dragon was a known thing, both from the stories that Bilbo had taught her and the familiar presence of the gold and green Angara on the Lonely Star. But to those about her from the First Age, it was a different matter. Even in that night of horrors, the figure of Bird with her swirling, powerful wings had caused all to stand and stare. For, never before, in the face of Middle-earth, had the people of Gondolin or the forces of the Dark Lord seen such a creature.

And of all those who stood in amazement gazing at the sky, there was one who stared the longest. That one was Gothmog, lord of Balrogs, high-captain of Angband, one of the mightiest warriors of Morgoth. That was the last night of Gothmog on the face of Arda for, just as he slew the Elf Ectheliion of the Fountain, he too was slain by him. Yet, before he met his death, he spoke to his guard of trolls that they should relay a message to Morgoth concerning this winged flying beast with scales of black and white.
Old 08-10-2002, 03:52 PM   #480
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Sting

Mithadan emerged from Secret Way and stopped, sinking to his knees at the head of the pass. Silently he sent out a call for Golden Angara, as he watched Tuor, Idril, and their followers recede down the mountain. The hysterical thought came to him that if the party had not survived, he probably would have popped out of existence. He wondered what that would be like.

A winged presence appeared from the sky, so far away and dark that at first he thought it was Thorondor, come to guard the retreat. It could not be Angara, because even at such a distance her skin would have caught the rays of the rising sun. As the figure drew closer, Mith quailed, turning frantically to call a warning down the mountain to the retreating Elves. "But the books say there were no flying dragons," he thought wildly, "not yet."

And yet, there it was, black and silver, flying with a fixed focus straight towards the heir of Eärendil. But even as he watched the figure shrank and dwindled, until all that was left was a small black and white jackdaw, and even this disappeared as it landed at his feet, leaving just a small woman crumbled on the stones, crying at his feet.

And so this is how Angara found them. Two lonely figures huddled together on the mountain. Mithadan looked up into the glowing eyes of the golden dragon, who asked, quietly as Death, "I cannot hear Piosenniel. Where is she?"