The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
Aiya
Pile O'Bones

Aiya has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Ring Cycle by Wagner

I'm a bit nervous about starting a topic, but I don't believe it is a repeat, so here goes.

Perhaps it is a sign that my interest in Tolkien is going past the healthy level that I start to see links and similarities in the most unlikely of places. But there is an opera, or more precisely, a cycle of operas - for it spreads over four nights, named the Ring Cycle, by Wagner.

I am yet to see it - it is being shown in Australia for the first time, next year, but from the documentation I have seen, the similarities between this Opera, and Lord of the Rings, is astounding.

-It starts where Alberich fashions a ring, which can rule the world.
-Alberich has many enslaved by the ring, working in dark, dark places.
-Then, a character, Wotan, siezes the ring.
-Alberich curses the ring and all who possess it.
-Through this curse, the giants quarrel over the ring which they have taken from Wotan, and over the ring, one kills his brother. (I'm thinking Smeagol and Deagol?)
-Later, there is the 'Ride of the Valkyries' - note that there are -nine- Valkyries.
-It ends with the ring being destroyed by fire...

Obviously this is a very -vague- analysis, and there are several smaller similarities - many which seem to link to the Silmarillion, rather than Lord of the Rings.

I wonder if any of you who are lucky enough to live somewhere where this has been performed, would have seen this?

What other similarities have people seen with Tolkien's work, and other works of art?
Old 01-17-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Sting

It is said that Tolkien was the creator of fantasy, and therefor all true fantasy has to have things in common with his works.

The basic plot of "create something easily worn to rule thousands of people evily, have hero find this thing, have hero destroy this thing in some un-mundane way" is classic indeed.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 02:49 AM   #3
the real findorfin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

the real findorfin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to the real findorfin Send a message via AIM to the real findorfin
Sting

That sounds really good! It sounds very nordic and what do the Valkyries do in original myth? Is this the original story?
Old 01-18-2003, 03:19 AM   #4
Belin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Belin
Silmaril

I'm sorry to be an ill-guest, Aiya, but the Wagner topic is in fact a repeat: look here.

--Belin Ibaimendi
"I hate dignity," cried Scraps, kicking a pebble high in the air and then trying to catch it as it fell. "Half the fools and all the wise folks are dignified, and I'm neither the one nor the other." --L. Frank Baum
Belin is offline   Reply With Quote