The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-26-2002, 06:44 AM   #41
shieldmaiden
Wight

shieldmaiden has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

...and I almost forgot...Frodo's teeth were so small and looked like children's first teeth. Elrond's teeth were bad too! Oh...and Elvish eyebrows!!! They all looked like drag queens.
Old 01-26-2002, 09:20 AM   #42
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Personally I'm sick of actors with perfect teeth; all it means is that they had braces. I thought Frodo's teeth helped him look like a regular guy-- and isn't this supposed to be a movie about "the hobbit next door"?? His expressiveness was superb. <P>Haldir, however, annoyed me seriously.<P>Elrond grew on me over three viewings and now I like him.<P>I thought Ian Holmes was too dark. I wouldn't be letting him tell my neices and nephews any stories! I didn't think of Bilbo as being quite that dark.
Old 01-26-2002, 11:37 AM   #43
Telgaladiel
Pile O'Bones

Telgaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Telgaladiel
Silmaril

I'm still trying to figure out Haldir. His nose really really throws me, even after three viewings. Galadriel and Elrond have really started to grow on me, and now I think Galadriel is rather pretty.<P>Gandalf... man oh man, if that face hasn't been burned into my mind... Ian McKellen is Gandalf through and through.

"I don't think so."
Telgaladiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:30 PM   #44
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Samwise has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Samwise
Sting

Welcome, Mark and Paladin, and anyone else I've forgotten.<BR>I've said this before, and I'll say it again;<BR>Sean Astin was an absolutely excellent Sam. He was <I>endearing</I>, which was perfect 'cause as a character Samwise has been dear to me for a looong time. <BR>There. Opinion stated.<BR> <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Well, I'm back."<BR>Sam Gamgee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 03:44 PM   #45
Gayalondiel
Wight

Gayalondiel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Gandalf... man oh man, if that face hasn't been burned into my mind... Ian McKellen is Gandalf through and through.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i agree completely. I mean, a world-class actor with perfect expression and mannerisms (if you don't believe he's a great actor i suggest you see his Richard III), and perfectly made-up to boot. His dedication to the part was tremendous as well, obviously he was very aware of fanatics like us and went above and beyond the efforts of other actors to be as true to the books as possible.

~C.S.Lewis
Gayalondiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 04:26 PM   #46
Edhel

Tolkien

I think that Gandalf, Gimli and Bilbo did the best. As I thought them when I read the book.<P>Frodo was too young and too thin. Not as the Frodo I imagined. But he was okay.. Why could nót he have got up in weight as "Sam"? Elrond seemed stubborn. Haldir was great, so was the monster outside Moria. Pippin and Merry was good too, and Boromir. Aragorn I do not like that much, should have been more ruff and hard than he was. But he was okey. Arwen I liked a lot, as Galadriel. The cave troll was not so good, should have more personality. Orcs, Saruman, Sauron.. was all great. So was Isildur and Elendil. Gollum was cute.. okay...Legolas was also okay...<P>Gandalf and Gimli did the best anyway...
Old 01-26-2002, 05:38 PM   #47
Elvenglass
Haunting Spirit

Elvenglass has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Elvenglass
Silmaril

Gandlaf was so amazing! Ian McKellen did an amazing job! i thought all the actors did wonderful jobs in portraying their characters!
Old 01-26-2002, 05:44 PM   #48
Elanor
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elanor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I thought Ian McKellan was really good. my only problem with him was that he looked just like my dad, only with longer hair. Same nose, same beard, same look in his eyes. I was scared <p>[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: Elanor ]
Old 01-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #49
Edhel

Tolkien

Gandalf had the same nose as my father. I have always thought my dad would fit for Gandlaf, but he has not the beard and the loong hair. And hes quite thin too...And he has grey hair too.. <p>[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: Edhel ]
Old 01-27-2002, 01:57 PM   #50
Arwen daughter of Elrond

Sting

I can't wait to see Gollum and his real part in the movies. I've heard alot from websites that said how realistic gollum was. and i think his voice is kinda cute. i've always thought gollum/smeagol in the books was funny and i would laugh to myself when gollum would talk back and forth to himself.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #51
dernhelm
Animated Skeleton

dernhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I posted this topic, but I just realized I never put my own opinion. <P>Well, I think my favorite performance was by Sir Ian McKellen as Gandalf. He was so authentic. Also, Sean Bean who played Boromir did very well, too. I wish Boromir did not have to die, so that he could be in the next two movies. Sean Astin as Sam was my favorite Hobbit, and Elijah Wood was a really good Frodo. Also, Orlando Bloom made a good Legolas, since the way he moved and looked seemed so much like an elf. Christopher Lee made a good bad guy as Saruman, and finally, Viggo Mortenson was exactly what Aragorn needed to be. I'm glad they cast him at the last minute instead of that other guy. <BR> <BR>In the next two movies, I'm looking forward to seeing all of the Ents. Also, I can't wait to see more of Gollum's personality up close. Oh, and I want to see Eowyn, Faramir, Denethor, and the list just goes on and on. <p>[ January 27, 2002: Message edited by: dernhelm ]
Old 01-27-2002, 04:06 PM   #52
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Hugo Weaving as Elrond(my father) - ROCKS!<BR>Ian McKellan as Gandalf - ROCKS!<BR>Celeborn - whoa dude! Have some more hobbit weed!<BR>Galadriel - COOL!<BR>Arwen - jury still out, did like the expanded role though, and the stunt double is a good horsewoman (being a horsewoman myself!)<BR>Strider/Aragorn - pretty good<BR>Legolas - WOW!!!! Gotta love them Elven men!<BR>Boromir- ROCKS<BR>The hobbits - they all rock!<BR>Gimli - ROCKS!<BR>Haldir - HELP!!!<BR>I am looking forward to TTT. Love lots of action!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:05 PM   #53
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i thought that arwen's stunt double was a good rider too. aralathiel you're a horsewoman? me too (i've been riding dressage for 10 years...since i was 5) what kind of riding do you do?
Old 01-28-2002, 10:13 PM   #54
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Originally posted by Edhel:<BR><STRONG><BR>Frodo was too young and too thin. </STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You can never be too young or too thin. <BR>Yes, I know I'm bad.
Old 01-29-2002, 04:55 PM   #55
Aralaithiel
Ghost Eldaran Queen

Aralaithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Yep Northernlight, I am. I ride both English & Western, and I love hunter/jumpers and trail. I also have taken up driving and sidesaddle. Speaking of sidesaddle, I am surprised that they did not have Arwen riding astride. It would have been more appropriate, IMHO (in my honest opinion).
Old 01-30-2002, 11:01 PM   #56
northernlight
Pile O'Bones

northernlight has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

wow you're quite the versatile rider! driving seems like it'd be pretty fun to do. and sidesaddle is cool, i've done a little before...one of my trainers says that 'one should be able to ride even the most advanced movements sidesaddle' and i agree w/you about arwen riding astride; that seems more appropriate to me as well. but nonetheless it was still awesome to see her galloping on asfaloth in front of all those wraiths. i leaned over to my mom during that scene and said 'i wish i was riding asfaloth right now!'
Old 01-31-2002, 11:46 PM   #57
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I think all of the actors did a very good job. This is an ensemble piece and they worked very well together. They played the roles straight and real - never over the top or campy. (A good script and good dialogue is invaluable.)<P>I watched Viggo Mortensen's performance closely - it was quiet and intense - method acting at its best. He took his own doubts about being able to do the project and converted them into Aragorn's doubts to complete his task. As Sean Bean has commented in at least one interview, Viggo was very generous in how he worked with the other actors. I think he was a perfect Aragorn - I can't imagine why he wasn't their first choice - he is handsome in that very masculine, rugged, rough-around-the-edges way, he's done some action films, and he's a great character actor. And he has the riveting screen presence that a charismatic character like Aragorn warrants. What wonderful eyes! ***SIGHS DEEPLY*** Thank goodness things worked out the way they did: I'd never heard of him or seen any of his movies before LOTR. (He's so shy and private - he doesn't do many interviews. And I don’t watch many movies.) I'm catching up now – TV Guide searches, video rentals and purchases Wow, I've missed some great stuff. An Academy Award nomination? Perhaps for ROTK, but based on his body of work for the trilogy and his career.<P>Ian McKellan WAS Gandalf. Elijah Wood was an excellent Frodo. Sean Astin makes a perfect Sam - what a great role! Liv Tyler was fine as Arwen - this is difficult to judge since they've expanded the character so much - but I didn't see her "acting". I’ll judge Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Orlando Bloom and John Rhys-Davies after TTT – they’ll come into their own then.<P>Sean Bean was totally amazing as Boromir. His death scene was amazing – worth the price of admission. I gasped with each arrow and sobbed as Aragorn took his hand. I finally felt pity for Boromir – the book never made me feel quite that way. If Bean doesn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor, I'll be very upset.<P>I think the casting was great. Although Hugo Weaving portrayed Elrond most excellently, I expected Elrond to look more "beautiful" and more like Arwen. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>So like was she in form of womanhood to Elrond that Frodo guessed that she was one of his close kindred.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> But handsome is as handsome does. <P>Geesh! Did I really write ALL of that gushy goo?<p>[ February 02, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]
Old 02-06-2002, 07:45 PM   #58
HrH_Princess_Leia

Sting

I think that Wood is Frodo and Viggo is Aragorn. They are both so HOT!
Old 02-07-2002, 05:07 PM   #59
Dinagariel

Sting

Elijah Wood, Sean Austin and Sir Ian Mckellan were amazing.<BR>I was impressed by Sean Bean too since I don't usually like his characters.<BR>I'm hoping there will be more lines for Orlando and John in the next movie.<BR>The whole cast was great!
Old 02-08-2002, 07:24 AM   #60
Iarbariel
Pile O'Bones

Iarbariel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Iarbariel
Silmaril

Pippin, Aragorn and Legolas. Simple as that
Old 02-13-2002, 10:26 PM   #61
Fingolas
Animated Skeleton

Fingolas has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Well…First let me preface this by saying that I loved the movie, and we all know that no one on this planet could have taken a story that millions of people have been visualizing in their heads for so long, and pleased them all. However, I think P.J. has done a wonderful, and respectful job. I say respectful because I think that most fans (myself included) were very fearful that this movie would get “Hollywoodized”, and that at some point in the movie the director would let the audience know that he wasn’t taking it seriously and that they shouldn’t either. I’m relieved that P.J. didn’t do that, <BR>(although the “No one tosses a Dwarf” line came too close for comfort). <BR> <BR>That said, I will admit that some of the characters didn’t quite match the ones I’ve been carrying around in my head since the 70’s.<P>Gandalf…Great match. No complaints.<P>Elrond… Sorry, couldn’t get Agent Smith out of my mind. MY Elrond was more regal, and wasn’t quite so testy.<P>Aragorn…I always saw him as a 40ish Sean Connery, very Kingly in bearing. Men would be drawn to him. I think that Sean Bean has more of this quality than Viggo, and I felt that in the movie, the Boromir character sort of “overshadows” Aragorn. If you take my meaning. He came off as much more powerful, (although I understand that Aragorn will grow in stature as the tale progresses). I’m just saying that in all the years that Aragorn wandered the land, he drew men to him as a natural leader does. I don’t see this quality in Viggo, but I do in Sean Bean. I almost wish PJ had cast them in reverse. <P>Gimli….Only one small complaint, JRDs accent is unmistakable and when I would hear it I would think of the other movies he has been in like Raiders, and it was distracting.<P>Boromir…See Aragorn!<P>Legolas…Too short. Otherwise wonderful.<P>Galadriel…Too cold. I see her as a guiding soul. Warmer, more accommodating except to those with evil in their hearts. To those she would seem intimidating, someone to be feared.<P>The Hobbits…Wonderful all around. I do hope that Merry and Pippin become more serious, as they do in the books, and tone down the comic relief just a teensy bit.<P>See…I told you I loved the movie.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:45 PM   #62
Daisy Sandybanks
Wight

Daisy Sandybanks has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daisy Sandybanks Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy Sandybanks
Pipe

Well, first off, let me say that I absolutly loved the movie, I am a complete special effects/behind the scenes/making of the movie freak, so, of course I loved it!!<BR>But anyway, actors/actresses.... um well, I didn't really like Elijah Wood as Frodo, I mean, don't get me wrong, he did a very god job portraying him, but there was just somthing about him that I disliked (don't know whatit was though). Gandalf, Pippin, Merry, all did a very good job aswell. I think Boromir and Sam were my absolute favorite though!!<BR>Who am I looking forward to in the up comming movies? Well, I think I'm really looking forward to Shelob and the Ents! I really had a hard time picturing them in my head while reading the books, so I am looking forward to how P.J. made them look in the movies.
Old 02-14-2002, 01:01 AM   #63
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In regard to Aragorn<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>What wonderful eyes! ***SIGHS DEEPLY*** <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You too, huh?? My mom and I had a long discussion just on Viggo's eyes, how silly <BR>She saw a lot just through his eyes. She doesn't know the story, didn't want to read it, yet she knew what kind of person Aragorn was just through those eyes. <P>We have been talking for 2 days about the movie. The only actors that we knew of were Wood, Austin, and Tyler.<P>I do think that the movie was cast perfectly. Sir Ian was Gandalf, I could not have cast anyone better. Mom loved Bean as Boorimir. She did not think him to be corrupt untill he tried to take the ring. She saw that it was through his ignorance that he spake at the Counsel of Elrond. She almost cried when he died. <P>She also loved Wood as Frodo and Bloom as Legalos. She saw that through their youth (baby faces) their purity/innocence was shown.<P>She even thought that the CGI for Bilbo when he wanted the Ring and Galadriel's transformation was cool. She said that it showed the power of the Ring properly.<BR>_____________________________________ ____<P>Now for my opinion. I loved it! I could see the switching of Aragorn and Boorimir though. But I don't think that it would have played out as well for the following films. I do think that Viggo's eyes open a window into the character of Aragorn better than Bean's. Biily Boyd gave just enough comic relief to get throuhg the Orc-slaying.<P>Someone mentioned that Hugo Weaving was not the right Elrond. I am tempted to think the same. He should have been softer in looks, more fair. Someone also stated that Stuart Townsend was supposed to play Aragorn, I could almost see<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stufan99/" TARGET=_blank>Stuart</A>playing Elrond for some reason.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:40 AM   #64
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

A funny, ironic observation:<P>One of the first times I saw the movie, a couple of women were sitting next to me, and after the film, muttered about how they didn't think the movie was that great: Their opinion? "Must be a guy's film." Now, what is funny and ironic is that, from what I've seen on the net, many girls/women of all ages are going ga-ga over Legolas, Aragorn, Sam, Frodo, Boromir. Sites have sprung up all over the place so that the fairer sex can wax dreamily over their favourite character(s). Talk about role reversal! While women are going to the film and letting their tongues hang out at the male actors, <I>guys</I> are going to the see the movie on the merits of the story.<P>And you call us guys 'pigs!' LOL! LOL! <P>Ok, original question: <P>The only principal actors I've seen in other works were: Bean; Rhys-Davies; and Ian Holm in Alien (a long time ago). I'd never seen McKellen in anything; nor Hugo Weaving; nor any of the hobbits. the last I remember of Elijah was his being interviewed on the Arsenio Hall show when he did the Twain movie. So, because my perceptions of these actors were not contaminated by perceptions from other roles, they all seemed to fit quite well for me. Ian McKellen as Gandalf...He IS Gandalf, and the acting is extroardinary. If you've seen interviews with him, he doesn't really sound or look like Gandalf out of character. I didn't see the Matrix so, my perceptions of Elrond were not too bad. As for him not being 'fair' enough to be an elf, he is Elrond <I>Halfelven</I>. Frodo was good, Boromir was great, but McKellen's Gandalf is the Gandalf from my heart and mind. He deserves the Supporting Actor Oscar, easily.<p>[ December 02, 2002: Message edited by: Glenethor ]

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:15 PM   #65
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Eye

Glenethor-I have been treated like a piece of meat by more men than I care to admit, so when I ogle Legolas and Aragorn, and, for that matter, Boromir, I am merely turning the tables. <BR>I did not, however, see the movie 5 times just because the men in it were "hot." High cheekbones and smoldering gazes are satisfying only up to a certain point. If it wasn't for the wonderful story, I would have seen it once, said to myself "eh, I'll make sure to rent that sometime on a particularly lonely Friday night", and that would have been that.<p>[ February 14, 2002: Message edited by: Lush ]
Old 02-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #66
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Neither did I, though I do love seeing Aragorn and Legalos. <P>I love swordfights and war movies, esp if there is romance, treachery and true friendship involved. FotR had all of this, and I hope Jackson will carry these themes forth in the rest.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 05:14 PM   #67
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Glenethor, I went to see the movie because I enjoyed reading the books when I was younger. Haven't seen Elijah Wood in ANYTHING, haven't seen Sean Astin in anything since GOONIES, and as for the other actors, male or female-??<BR>I went to "ogle" over no one.
Giving thanks unto the Father...In whom we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins.~Colossians1:12a,14
I am Samwise son of Hamfast, if by hoe or trowel I can get these weeds out of your garden, I will.You have my shears!;)
Old 02-14-2002, 07:40 PM   #68
Glenethor
Wight

Glenethor has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Dr. Winston O'Boogie
Glenethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 07:59 PM   #69
KayQy
Wight

KayQy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to KayQy
Tolkien

I admit, we got some nice eye-candy here, but the thing is, these eye-candies can ACT. I liked/loved just about all the performances. Gimli seemed to be lacking something, but I think that was mostly the script he had to work with: a few too many famous-last-words cliches for my taste. Merry also seemed a bit in the background compared to the other hobbits. Hopefully these things will be developed more in TT.<P>Someone I'm eager to see now from TT is Wormtongue. Not really a big fan of him, but I just found out that the guy who plays him (Brad Dourif) is the one who played Saavedro in Myst 3: Exile! (Now we'll see if anyone knows what I'm talking about...) <P>Dang it, I've been in this forum too long, now have very strong urge to see FotR again...

--OC Supertones, "Wilderness"

"Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter." -- Max Beerbohm
KayQy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 11:49 PM   #70
Jessica Jade
Wight

Jessica Jade has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jessica Jade
Ring

In my opinion, Elijah Wood WAS Frodo, Hands DOWN. It takes a lot to play a character like Frodo, because he is the "everybody" character-the one that everyone is supposed to relate to, to feel like they're a part of, when going on the journey to the Cracks of Doom. I think that Elijah had the right mix of vulnerability, stage presence, and talent to play his character...not to mention the perfect looks for Frodo. He did such a good job, because watching him makes you feel such compassion for him, as well the fellowship that was made to protect him...you don't want him to get hurt because you care about frodo, you feel like you're part of the journey. Just think of how it would be if someone ELSE played frodo...the movie would have been AWFUL! Elijah Wood was the ONLY one who could of brought Frodo to life the way he did.<P>As for Huge Weaving, I think he did a great job and does look like Elrond ought to look. (of course i am biased because i saw the movie first, but..anyway...).It IS funny though, because i can just imagine him saying..."You seem to be living two lives, Mr. Baggins..." LOL. Overall, i think the cast was excellent. And i hope Ian wins for best supporting actor. Gandalf was great.

The musicians had indeed laid bare the youngest, most innocent of our ideas of life, the indestructible yearning for the way things aren't and can never be. ~ Philip Roth, The Human Stain
Jessica Jade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 08:56 PM   #71
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Hello, Jessica. Welcome to the 'downs!<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Well, I'm back."<BR>Sam Gamgee <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-16-2002, 10:23 AM   #72
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I don't think they could have found anyone better to play Frodo. Elijah just has that Hobbit-look to him. And he's a GREAT actor. <P>I think Sean Astin did really good too. He portrays the type of Sam I was picturing when I read the books. There's just something about Sean that just stuck in my mind. He has the personality of the warm-hearted loyal friend that would stick by you until the very end. The very Sam Gamgee I was hoping for. <P>Anyway, everyone else was really good too. Those are just the ones that stuck out to me mostly. And I really hope the other movies are just as good as the first one. {Even though I will probably be crying throughout the whole thing.}<P>Oh, and Kay, I know exactly what you mean. I cannot WAIT until the movie comes out on DVD. I'm probably gonna watch it everyday until I get the whole thing memorized line be line. That way, when I'm bored during my history class, I can kinda "watch" the movie in my mind. {If that makes sense.}<p>[ July 16, 2002: Message edited by: Eruwen ]
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 01:27 PM   #73
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>I think Sean Astin did really good too. He portrays the type of Sam I was picturing when I read the books. There's just something about Sean that just stuck in my mind. He has the personality of the warm-hearted loyal friend that would stick by you until the very end. The very Sam Gamgee I was hoping for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><B>Exactly my feeling. As I've stated before, when I first saw the movie, I was mainly watching for him and how he would play "my" Sam. As soon as I laid eyes on him at Bilbo's party moping the thought immediately struck me: "He's upset with himself 'cause he dosen't have the guts to go talk to Rose! " and sure enough, here came Frodo:<BR>"Sam, go ask Rosie! "<BR>I knew from that point on Mr. Astin would do Sam right. He did. As for li'l Lije, young or not, I thought he made an absolutely wonderful Frodo, and the two being friends in real life only added to the whole "Frodo and Sam" thing, I think.</B><p>[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Samwise ]
Old 07-16-2002, 03:02 PM   #74
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

AragornsHeir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AragornsHeir
Pipe

Gandalf was portrayed with pure genius Ian is an absolute astuteness. His performance was beautiful I could not imagine anyone else playing that role any other way than it was done in that movie. He was wonderful. I could go on and on but I wont you get the idea, and I am looking forward to Eowyn and Farimir(did I spell it right oh well).
AragornsHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:07 PM   #75
AragornsHeir
Animated Skeleton

AragornsHeir has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to AragornsHeir
Sting

oops I meant *Ian did Gandalf with absolute astuteness. Sorry
AragornsHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 03:54 PM   #76
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Silmaril

I think Elijah Wood made a really convincing role a Frodo. Another actor was Sir Ian Mckellen. (Gandalf)
Old 07-16-2002, 04:21 PM   #77
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

White-Hand

Hullo, Aragorn's Heir! Welcome t' our little place o' disscussion! <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>"Well, well, bless my beard!" said Gandalf. "Sam Gamgee, is it? Now what may you be doing? " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR><A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/sst205/myhomepage/lotr.html" TARGET=_blank>Pics an' Poetry (of sorts).</A><BR><A HREF="http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/187925" TARGET=_blank>The LOTR-ish Story I'm STUCK on! </A>
Old 07-16-2002, 04:40 PM   #78
Mara Aoife

Question

I was very happy with the cast, I could say some minor observations on how I had first envisioned characters, but we've been down the "you can't please all the people all the time" line. <P>Again going back to a previous topic, if you look really closely, aren't some of the Lothlorien border guards actually female? (In reference to complaints about Haldir's appearance, etc.)
Old 07-16-2002, 04:45 PM   #79
Samwise
Faithful Spirit

Sting

Hullo there, Mara Aoife! Goodness, we're gettin' new folks to talk to all the time, seems like. Welcome! <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> "Mr. Frodo, sir!" cried Sam, quaking. "Don't let him hurt me, sir! Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural! My old dad would take on so. I meant no harm, on my honour, sir! " <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-16-2002, 07:14 PM   #80
Calencoire
Haunting Spirit

Calencoire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Calencoire
Sting

Actually, all of the characters in the movie were just as i imagined them. Well, that is, except Celeborn. He was just kind of weird. I can't wait to see Treebeard and Gollum.