The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Leaf Tol-in-Gaurhoth CXV: On the Borders of Mirkwood - Dead Thread

This is the Dead Thread Thread.

PEOPLE STILL "ALIVE" IN THE "TOL IN GAURHOTH: ON THE BORDERS OF MIRKWOOD" Game Thread, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE READING ANY FURTHER!

THIS IS OUT OF BOUNDS FOR YOU.

-~*-~*-

*This Thread will be closed until the the fortunate dead begin to populate it.*
Old 06-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
The Dead

Boro (Mod)
Huinesoron (Villager)

----
It is Night 2

Welcome Huey! You are free to post and talk to yourself (although try to refrain from spamming. The moderators frown on getting this thread "too chatty"

I'm just pumped that I will finally experience a dead thread from the start until the end. And NOT have to read the entire thread afterwards.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #3
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Welp.

"Live fast, die young, leave an introspective corpse." - Finrod, probably

I shall muse to myself tomorrow, and see who joins me toMorrow.

"Don't get mad - get even." - I wanna say Tuor?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 04:52 AM   #4
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"There is no emotion - there is peace.
There is no ignorance - there is knowledge.
There is no passion - there is serenity.
There is no death - there is the Dead Thread." - Let's say Finwe

Huinesoron's analysis of Day 1, Part 1: Me.

Good news! Multiple people noted that my play style was different to last game, which was a firm goal of mine.

Less good news: I'm not sure the difference they noticed was the one I was aiming for. I was angling for 'shorter and more committed posts', but seem to have wound up with 'more pokey'.

Bad news: it got me killed.

Okay, so why am I dead? According to my voters:

-Shasta: thought I was the Nightmare Wolf because I was pushing people, liked my explanation for what I was up to, but voted me anyway.

-Rikae: skeptical about my pushing, and thought my paranoia looked guilty. That's fair.

-Nog: misreading my 'initial suspicion' of Formendacil, and not liking me saying what I was doing w/r/t pushing.

-Kath: 'to see what happens', plus presumably the earlier claim I was ''pushing' everyone but not particularly saying a lot himself.'

I'm seeing two factors at play, both in the votes and in people's other comments on me:

-Actively pushing people to try and get reads on them draws attention. Not much I can do about that - I get my best reads off people by interacting with them, and I refuse to sit quietly and not play the game.

-I'm saying too much of what I'm thinking. This covers both the paranoia theory and Nog's whole thing. I mean... I kind of see the point, but not sharing my thoughts means the rest of the village aren't getting all the information. I want to make sure that they understand what I'm trying to say and do, rather than just leaving them a bunch of 'hS is being weird'.

I dunno. I'd really like to think the clear misreading by various people (Kath, Nog) is wolfish scheming, because... well, I'm a writer, words are my tool, and the idea that I'm just bad at communicating makes me kind of sad. But... ah, well.

Next post: the votes.

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 05:35 AM   #5
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

"Tol-in-Gaurhoth was a democracy - one man, one vote. The Moderator was the Man, and he had the Vote." - Orodreth, I suppose.

Huinesoron's Analysis of Day 1, Part 2: The Vote

Unlike most votes in the last game, this wasn't a two-horse race, and that means there's a lot of potential information there - hooray! Let's get to it. From Boro's DL-minus-5 tally:

Nilp > Nilp
Sally > No Vote
Shasta > Huey
Huey > Form
BG > Form (2)
Greenie > Pitch
Rikae > Huey (2)
Lommy > Nilp (2)
Nog > Huey (3)
Lottie > Legate
Kath > Huey (4)
Brinn > BG
Legate > Form (3)
Form > Nilp (3)
Pitch > Kath
Mac > Pitch (2)
  • Nilp - classic self-vote. No information there, he has to.
  • Sally - ill. No information.
  • Shasta - not an unreasonable vote.
  • Huinesoron - I was right in every particular, obviously.
  • Blind Guardian - feels like a new player latching onto whatever they can, and trying to pick a safe vote, but is that a wolfy new player or an innocent one? Their reply to Kath (#82), adding suspicion of Sally 'because she's sick' looks wolfy, and the fact that they agreed with Kath's +- of me but then followed my vote isn't really consistent.
  • Greenie - Continued her previous suspicion, adding a new name to a 2/1/1 field. She could be protecting Form, I suppose, but this looks fine.
  • Rikae - As I said last time, a fair vote.
  • Lommy - Voted Nilp, taking us to 2/2/2/1 - a level field. If she's a wolf, that might suggest neither Form nor Nilp are, since a level field of villagers is a wolf's playground. But... honestly, she says Nilp looks Cobblerish, and he does.
  • Nog - I don't like this (and not just because he voted me!). Unlike me, he made no indication that he was pressed for time, so he could absolutely have gone back to check whether I ever suspected Form. Instead, he just based his comments, and his vote, on my own final post. He also 'misread' the rules earlier, despite them being identical to the rules of his own game when it comes to dead wolves. I just feel like he's doing all this on purpose, and hiding behind 'it was an honest mistake'.
  • Lottie - Legate for his roundup post looking too waffly. I... did she suspect anyone at any point? I was actually feeling worried about her for her several defences of me; a good strategy if WolfLottie could tell I was heading for a fall.
  • Kath - Took me to 4, way out ahead of the rest of the field, essentially for information. Running the maths, three of the five players who hadn't voted yet would need to act in concert to save me, so this is dodgy as all get out. We only have four wolves - was she expecting all three to not have voted and to pile on to preserve my hide? I also don't think she ever addressed her clearly-false claim that I hadn't said anything, and I'm not the only one who flagged that.
  • Brinn - Added a new candidate to a field of four, with four other players to vote. They would all have to go for BG for them to be killed, and this wasn't a cross-posted vote either.
  • Legate - Voted Form as potential Cobbler. If he didn't think I was guilty, this or Nilp was the best choice.
  • Form - Crossed with Legate, which means this vote has exactly the same vote as Legate's, except with even less choice to make.
  • Pitch - Voted Kath at the last minute. Even if we assume he crossed with the last three votes, this was a throwaway vote. He offers no explanation, and his only comments on her have mostly been tied up in my paranoia. Dodgy.
  • Mac - Voted Pitch at the last minute. Before or after seeing his vote? Either way, this was a throwaway. That said, he had raised the possibility in his second post, six minutes earlier. So... it was a prepared throwaway.

Based on that, here's my list of 'suspicious or not':

hS thinks evil:
-Nog
-Lottie?
-Kath
-Brinn
-Pitch

hS is neutral:
-Nilp (but might be a cobbler - those boots!)
-Sally
-Form
-Mac

hS thinks innocent:
-Shasta
-Greenie
-Rikae
-Lommy
-Legate

This was my problem yesterDay: my biggest 'evil' reads were on people who suspected me. But with more time to look back, I still think they're dodgy.

I would guess one of the final group will join me here toMorrow, and would consider any of them as a possible Medium. If one of the 'evil' group winds up night-killed, I'll need to do a total reevaluataion. (I can't imagine a Neutral will - Nilp is on his first game back, Sally is ill, Form was the person a lynched innocent voted for, and Mac's lack of posting makes him look generally suspicious.)

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

"A picture lynches a thousand words." - Sounds like Ar-Pharazon the Cobbler

I drew this the other day as part of a birthday present for my mother. Consider it my gift to mislynched Ordos and undercover wolves alike.

Whoever joins me here: welcome! I will laugh so hard if you're the Cobbler.

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Yes, yesterday was a more typical day 1 voting than Nog's game.

Love the drawing!
Old 06-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

The Dead

Boro (Mod)
Huinesoron (Villager)
Loslote (Villager)

----

It is Day 2.

Welcome Loslote.

You and Huey will have to vote for the same person, among the living, to be the Medium today. You are allowed to retract your votes, by

--Boro

But as soon as you both vote for the same person (if you decide to) the voting is over and the person you chose is automatically the Medium.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #9
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Well, I was trying to draw the wolf kill, I was just hoping the Ranger or Beast Hunter would pick up on the Seer hints.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:04 PM   #10
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

'allo Lottie, sorry you're dead; well done on not being Gifted. Of all the people I called evil last Night, you're the one I'm happiest to be wrong about. I was just feeling really suspicious that anyone could look at me and not think wolf.

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 04:05 PM   #11
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Loslote is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
'allo Lottie, sorry you're dead; well done on not being Gifted. Of all the people I called evil last Night, you're the one I'm happiest to be wrong about. I was just feeling really suspicious that anyone could look at me and not think wolf.

hS
I was pretty sure you were innocent, so I tried to broadcast "Seer kinda annoyed that her N1 dream was being lynched" as hard as I could.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #12
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Also, my instinct when you were jumpy about me and Kath was that you might be Gifted. I eventually realized you weren't going to reveal and just voted for my top suspicion at the time (Legate, though I would now add Nog).
Old 06-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #13
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loslote View Post
I was pretty sure you were innocent, so I tried to broadcast "Seer kinda annoyed that her N1 dream was being lynched" as hard as I could.
Looks like it worked! Like you say, it's a shame nobody protected you; but equally, as Ordos it's kind of our job to draw fire for the good of the village. It just... rather sucks when it works.

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #14
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Also, my instinct when you were jumpy about me and Kath was that you might be Gifted.
I am just a naturally jumpy person. :-/

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #15
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Looks like it worked! Like you say, it's a shame nobody protected you; but equally, as Ordos it's kind of our job to draw fire for the good of the village. It just... rather sucks when it works.

hS
I'm not mad about it - I went into this game wanting to play a bolder game than I usually do. I've never actually done any significant Gifted hinting as part of a strategy. I do wish the BH had picked up on it and we could've gotten a wolf, too, but at least it's me dead and not a Gifted!
Old 06-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Anyway, my thoughts on the living:

Susp
Legate
Nog
Kath
Mac

Cobbler
Pitch

Trust
Brinn
Rikae
BG
Form

Under the Reindeer
Lommy
Shasta
Sally
Nilp
Greenie
Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #17
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I'm not mad about it - I went into this game wanting to play a bolder game than I usually do. I've never actually done any significant Gifted hinting as part of a strategy. I do wish the BH had picked up on it and we could've gotten a wolf, too, but at least it's me dead and not a Gifted!
Hear, hear.

So, any initial thoughts on the Medium?

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #18
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:

hS
So the last time I modded a game...I think it was way back in 2013, set in Lake-town.

Lottie was a wolf (I forget who the other wolves were). But I had the rule that in the event of a tie, whoever got the highest total LAST would be the one lynched.

I think the first 4 days and nights the only people dying were villagers and I swore to everyone that yes there are wolves and there are gifted roles in this village.

It got to the point where everyone knew everyone else's role, because the ranger made a save that turned it around for the village. And I will forever have the image of Lottie running down a street in DC to make it to the DL and vote to clinch it for the wolf pack. Because the last 2 days were just a voting arms-race as people hoped to be the "last" to vote.

Crazy. But that's also why I took Nog's rule from last game about tied votes.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:13 PM   #19
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Looking at our lists, it seems like we only agree that we feel good about Rikae, so they might be a good option to vote for as Medium toDay.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #20
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
It got to the point where everyone knew everyone else's role, because the ranger made a save that turned it around for the village. And I will forever have the image of Lottie running down a street in DC to make it to the DL and vote to clinch it for the wolf pack. Because the last 2 days were just a voting arms-race as people hoped to be the "last" to vote.
A couple of details: It wasn't DC, it was Annapolis...and I left a date early just to make it back in time.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #21
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

But yeah, I was all dressed up and literally *running* down the street. That was some game.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #22
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
But yeah, I was all dressed up and literally *running* down the street. That was some game.
That's an amazing story. Please tell me you won!

Quote:
Looking at our lists, it seems like we only agree that we feel good about Rikae, so they might be a good option to vote for as Medium toDay.
Agreed for now, depending on how the Day shapes up. Looks like we also agree on Nog, Kath, and Pitch all being some flavour of bad news - shame we can't do anything with that!

Argh, I need to sleep soon; I was hoping the Living would talk a little before I went, but they're not obliging.

hS
Old 06-06-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Here is the game in question. Looks like the pack was Me, Greenie, Nerwen, and Kitanna, and we won by the skin of our teeth.

EDIT: Greenie was the cobbler, that's right.
Old 06-06-2020, 04:31 PM   #24
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
Here is the game in question. Looks like the pack was Me, Greenie, Nerwen, and Kitanna, and we won by the skin of our teeth.

EDIT: Greenie was the cobbler, that's right.
Oh jeez...2011.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #25
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Looks like Rikae picked up on my being way too certain about Huin, which probably means they aren't a wolf OR the Ranger or BH. Kath claims she didn't notice anything, which might be kind of suspicious or might just mean she's not in a Seer-hunting frame of mind.
Old 06-06-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Hmm. Maybe he's playing in an older style, but I don't like Form actively talking about people giving off "Gifted/Wolf" vibes. Also, the way he talked about Kath and Pitch felt to me like wolf-on-wolf with bonus implicating an innocent, where Pitch is the innocent he's tying packmate Kath to. Feeling less good about Form.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:52 PM   #27
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinniel View Post
If I were to guess, the wolves picked Lottie because they thought she was a seer who dreamt of Hui.
THANK YOU. I don't know how no one else figured that one out.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:01 AM   #28
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Here's something I don't like at all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Form"
The flip-flop on me mid-post, resulting in his vote for me, was weird, but the real value there is in how it got leapt on and became the driving factor for his lynching.
Only one person actually voted for me because of that overly-contracted post: Nog. Rikae and Kath both seem to have been acting on their earlier suspicions. So why is Form trying to pin the blame on my final post?

Also this from earlier in the same post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Form"
My records of who mentioned/quoted seem a bit less useful here, since he turned out to be ordinary
I turned out to be ordinary... unlike... you, Lottie? Because he just got done comparing the same information for you. That really looks like a non--removed line from a pre-written post analysing you as the Seer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Lottie"
THANK YOU. I don't know how no one else figured that one out
I like the general point Brinn makes that Seers get innocent reads more often than guilty ones. Since the wolves probably killed you for an innocent 'read', it's in their interests to keep people thinking you had a wolf down. That maybe clears Legate? I think it also makes Brinn look pretty good that they said it.

I'm still not overly keen on Brinn's vote, but that's the only thing I'm worried over, and as Mac pointed out, it's easy to lose track of the count.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 04:06 AM   #29
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Nilp at #230 seems to be either arguing that you're not the Seer, or that the Wolves couldn't have thought you were the Seer, or that the Wolves were stupid for thinking you were. I'm really not sure where he's aiming with this.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 AM   #30
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Greenie and Pitch have the same reasoning as me re Nog and Kath. As usual, being agreed with makes me very suspicious.

And Form wandered off down a weird blind alley where you could be the Cobbler and ???somehow??? this speculation is useful. He weirdly doesn't mention the Dead Thread, which is the only place the idea could be of any use.

Also, my memory of the rules discussion is that we touched on no roles being revealed, but never on just the Cobbler not being revealed, which makes this a really odd idea to get.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 09:28 AM   #31
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

I would be happy to Mediumize either Rikae or Brinniel today. If you've got a different suggestion, I'm willing to be convinced.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #32
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nog
I mean, should one go like: "hmmm, who might the wolves have thought is the seer? X seemed to make some seerish comments, but no, I think s/he might be a wolf, so that's not a possible scenario"?????
Um... yes? I feel like 'Why wouldn't the wolves have killed X? Well, maybe X is a wolf!' is pretty logical thinking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Looking at the tally, the only thing that really stands out to me is that if Form is a wolf, we should look at Nogrod and Kath.
o.O Kath, Nog, if you're not wolves, you should probably look into why so much of the village thinks you are. Counting Team Dead, that's at least five people citing both of you.

---

It occurs to me that I should probably be hunting innocents rather than wolves at this point, for Mediumming purposes. Lommy is still looking good here, though I don't have anything specific to point to.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #33
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
I would be happy to Mediumize either Rikae or Brinniel today. If you've got a different suggestion, I'm willing to be convinced.

hS
Totally with you.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #34
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I like what Greenie's been saying, too. Still catching up with the living, though. In a perfect world, I'd like to Mediumize someone who's going to vote for Kath, Nog, or Form if at all possible, ideally one of Brinn, Rikae, or Greenie.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #35
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I see what you mean about Lommy, too. I'd be okay Mediumizing her as well.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:44 AM   #36
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

I would be leaning towards Rikae, Greenie, and Lommy, in that order, but imagine if we Mediumized Brinn first chance we could after last game....
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51 AM   #37
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
I see what you mean about Lommy, too. I'd be okay Mediumizing her as well.
And having just reread, I'd be generally okay Mediumizing Greenie. I felt like she might have just been rephrasing other people's comments, but on looking back, I think she got in first on the Legate-as-Seer-target idea.

I feel like Nog has attracted more suspicion today than Kath or Form; maybe it would be worth Mediumizing a Kath/Form voter if it looks like the vote might be split between one of them and Nog? That way the wolves might need to show their hand, if there's two of them on the block.

Double-checking the rules, we can wait until the last minute to vote. I'd really rather not - I need sleep - but if things look dicey we can hold off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottie
I would be leaning towards Rikae, Greenie, and Lommy, in that order, but imagine if we Mediumized Brinn first chance we could after last game...
... Ohhhh, it's so tempting. (Don't say it too loud, though; I'm told that summons Cobbler55 to the thread...)

I'm not going to argue with that order. From Rikae's latest post, they look set to vote Nog at the moment. Greenie looks to be somewhere between Nog and Legate, and Lommy... could do anything.

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #38
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Quote:
I would be leaning towards Rikae, Greenie, and Lommy, in that order, but imagine if we Mediumized Brinn first chance we could after last game....
Hahaha
Old 06-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #39
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
Hahaha
If you'd gone with your original plan of telling them once we'd Mediummed someone, you could totally have trolled the Living with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
Green zone:

Lommy - generally seems innocentish to me, nothing that would give me Wolfy vibes.
Greenie - also nothing in particular. I may want to start paying more attention to her, because I realise she's been under my radar, but more or less reasonable posting thus far.
Brinn - same. I agree with many of her points, especially regarding BG. She's basically the Rune of this game for me.

Lemon-lime zone:

Rikae - yesterDay seemed generally like going with very rational analysis that I could essentially follow. Would like to see more from them still toDay.
Lottie - does the fact that your vote from yesterday agrees precisely with our innocent list make you feel better about him, or worse about them?

hS
Old 06-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #40
Loslote
The Werewolf's Companion

Quote:
Lottie - does the fact that your vote from yesterday agrees precisely with our innocent list make you feel better about him, or worse about them?

hS
Confused. I feel stronger about Nog, Kath, and Form at this point, but I definitely am still wary of Legate. I'm starting to agree that if anyone votes Kath or Form, it would be a good idea to Medium them, just so they don't get lost in the louder Nog-Legate controversy.