The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2005, 02:37 AM   #281
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Quote:
They have an opposition of three prominent Werewolf players
Opposition? Ha!

You must be somewhat on level with your opponent in order to offer opposition. You, Fea, and lmp offer me opposition the way Butterbur would offer Sauron opposition.

And while I'm here, I believe I will send going to work on Saturday to Mordor. I'm just now about to go to bed (at 4 AM) and I have to be at work in a few hours. Nothing messes up a fun weekend like work.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 AM   #282
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
TGWBS attacks the concept of the local press...

1) Pointless.
Major news almost never happens locally. The local press therefore engages itself in telling the citizens of a particular town about the state of the town centre and the lack of ducks this year and other trivial, pointless things nobody wants to hear about.

2) Inadequate.
In the rare case of important national news occuring locally, the local press never has resources to research the case as well as larger national newspapers and gets sidelined.

3) Waste of Natural resources.
Poor trees. And whatever ink is made from nowadays, if that's natural.

4) Waste of a large building.
In the CBD no less. That building could be put to good use - a few shops could fit in there, or a bank, etc.

5) Waste of humanity.
Those people could be actually doing something in life rather than relaying stories about ducks that nobody ever reads. Intelligent people waste their lives at the local press when those minds could be otherwise cultivated.

6) Litter.
People have a tendency to leave newspapers lying about or just throw them on the ground. Ugh.

*TGWBS looks around as if daring somebody to disagree*
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #283
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
Perhaps they could have cameo roles in LMP's Mordor RP. Surely uncanonical as all heck, but why not just send canoncity to Mordor and have them there in search of it.
That is going to have to happen. Maybe not the first ATM rpg, but count on it (if it's successful enough to be repeated). That would be too good not to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom
You must be somewhat on level with your opponent in order to offer opposition. You, Fea, and lmp offer me opposition the way Butterbur would offer Sauron opposition.
Ooh. Ick. :: LMP fans face:: It's getting a little hubrid in here.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #284
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Perhaps they could have cameo roles in LMP's Mordor RP. Surely uncanonical as all heck, but why not just send canoncity to Mordor and have them there in search of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
That is going to have to happen. Maybe not the first ATM rpg, but count on it (if it's successful enough to be repeated). That would be too good not to do.

Oh, a game to rescue Canonicity would indeed most likely belong as a sequel (or would it all be one game but because of length deferred to three threads?). I mean, think of how long it would take us to decide upon a character bio for Canonicity. An NPC? Couldn't by any means be a cameo. Who here would be the one of our Fellowship to take up the challenge?

Might I suggest something? A trilogy of ATM games, the first in The Shire, the second in Rohan, and well, the one about that canonicity thingy in Gondor.

Oh, and, just to keep this on-topic, I would like to assign summer air conditioning that is set far, far too cold and the people who then bring in small space heaters to warm up the space under their desks while they still wear sockless sandals.

While I'm at this, I'll assign noisy air conditioners to Mordor too. Impossible to appreciate music, except for grunge rock or metal, while that whirls away. No offense to grunge or metal, now!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:45 AM   #285
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Warranties that expire right before something breaks down can go straight to Mordor. So can customer service departments that keep you on hold a little bit longer than forever.

Telemarketers who switch your long-distance service even after you tell them you're very happy with your current phone company, thank you, can set up shop in Barad-Dur. In fact, telemarketing companies in general can go to Mordor.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:44 AM   #286
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I'm glad my Canonicity idea seems well accepted. I thought it sounded fantastic, but I couldn't be sure, since I was pretty tired when I came up with it.

Quote:
I mean, think of how long it would take us to decide upon a character bio for Canonicity. An NPC? Couldn't by any means be a cameo. Who here would be the one of our Fellowship to take up the challenge?
I'd be willing to do it. Mind, I might need a little help here and there having never read HoME, but I've got a pretty firm grasp on the rest. Can you imagine... I just had the funniest image of davem showing up in Mordor and telling off "The Hobbit"s for trying to tie themselves to Canonicity. Hehe. I can't wait for this to be set in motion.

Quote:
Might I suggest something? A trilogy of ATM games, the first in The Shire, the second in Rohan, and well, the one about that canonicity thingy in Gondor.
I like that idea. It would allow for different levels of participation, experience, and humor.

And off to anguish in Mordor... New computers. Sure they want to discourage music piracy, but I made this CD ages ago. Surely there's a grandfather clause or something that would allow me to rip the hundred-something songs off of it. Since I can't, I have to actually listen to the CD itself, instead of just putting all of the tracks onto my hard drive.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:58 AM   #287
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I would like to send the inability to breathe to Mordor, it's exhausting! And so not fun!

On a lighter note I would also like to send hypocritical parents. The type that demand you be quiet while they are watching the television but are quite happy to come in and talk as loudly as possible when you are watching something. Oh, and then have the audacity to call you cheeky when you complain!
Old 08-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #288
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
My knees should go to Mordor. They hurt me so. *whimper*

Overplayed songs that I used to like...but don't anymore. 'Bye you go! *punt*

Books that look so interesting on the covers but are not inside.

The weird (and slightly embarassing) feeling of food in your teeth six hours after eating when you don't wear braces.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:15 AM   #289
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethberry
Might I suggest something? A trilogy of ATM games, the first in The Shire, the second in Rohan, and well, the one about that canonicity thingy in Gondor
Quote:

I like that idea. It would allow for different levels of participation, experience, and humor.
umhm. It's why I told LMP to check out his idea with the Shire Mods, pio and Child. So many of the gamers who post here to develop the idea can't game in Rohan.

To Mordor: neighbours who put up in their backyard (without checking with you) large aluminum sheds which completely block all sun from your garden.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:51 AM   #290
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Quote:
I would like to send the inabilaty to breathe to Mordor, it's exhausting! And so not fun!
You are so right, Kath! And I also wish to send straight to Mordor those that make fun of you and find the fact that you are gasping for breath very amusing.They can spend some time with Shelob and learn how to behave. This goes also to spoilt kids that howl on the street. Off to Mordor with those little Nazgul cubs!
Old 08-28-2005, 03:16 PM   #291
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimturiel
You are so right, Kath! And I also wish to send straight to Mordor those that make fun of you and find the fact that you are gasping for breath very amusing.
With them can go the idiotic Phys. Ed. teachers that have had you as a student for years and yet, as you're trying to explain that your other teacher (the one who witnessed it) told you that under no circumstances were you to continue trying to run a mile outdoors in the June sun after you had an asthma attack (without an inhaler!) half way through, she tells you that you are simply being obstinant for walking back. What an idiot.

But to follow that much as a brick would not is going to work in a hundred degree greenhouse twenty minutes later.

And hovering parents. The kind that want to know exactly what you're doing online. So they stand behind you and watch.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:24 PM   #292
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
But to follow that much as a brick would not is going to work in a hundred degree greenhouse twenty minutes later.
Living in Britain, I thought you means Centigrade for an instant. Amusing mental image of a melted Feanor.

In response to Kath and Fea - All parents, from adolescence to an age we haven't quite reached yet, should go to Mordor. They can come back once our hormones make us like them again.

Am I allowed to do return tickets?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:46 PM   #293
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Eighteen isn't the age where you start to like them again? Must be not, since I bickered with my mom this morning, flip out at my dad every two days or so, and can't wait to go to school where they can't keep an eye on me and fret when I don't get home until (God forbid) 8:30.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #294
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Fea I'm beginning to think there's some kind of connection between us here because your experiences both with idiotic PE teachers who do not seem to get the concept of asthma and parents who do not get the concept of not being neurotic are practically identical to my own. Except that my mother is slightly worse having had a panic attack when I wasn't home by 6!

Oh and the reading over your shoulder thing? They do that when I'm on MSN, having private conversations. I of course can't listen in while they're on the phone so how is that entirely fair may I ask?

Last edited by Kath; 08-28-2005 at 04:24 PM. Reason: noticed another thing
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:39 PM   #295
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Yes, but I was out with my brother. Going to see a movie. It's not like I was out with some untrustworthy axe-murderer. *sigh*

Axe-murderes, though uncommon, can also go to Mordor. Surely they'd brighten the scene.

EDIT: Just like with AIM. "That window is flashing. Why don't you click on it?" *cough* "Because dad, I'm moping to my best friend near midnight about my relationship troubles and I don't want you to see." *another long-suffering sigh*

Last edited by Feanor of the Peredhil; 08-28-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Feanor of the Peredhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 06:45 PM   #296
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
And hovering parents. The kind that want to know exactly what you're doing online. So they stand behind you and watch.
Did you type that while they were watching?
Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 AM   #297
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Off to Mordor with offspring who don't fully understand the difficulties of being a parent, or that part of being a parent is a constant, never-ending and sometimes irrational worry over their children, or that when they seem to be spoiling your fun they usually only have your best interests at heart ...
Old 08-29-2005, 11:05 AM   #298
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Braces can go to Mordor, I want to have nice pretty teeth, but they're so uncomfortable.

Rap music.....I hate rap music, to Mordor you go.

Bar chords...hardest notes to play on the guitar, go join the rap music.

Notice how this thread lasted longer then the "What do you assign to the Shire" thread? This is a good place to rant.

Having my four worst subjects all in the same sumester can go to Mordor.

Having my best friend change schools cause he's out of the school district can go to Mordor. (I'll miss ya Glirdy )

I'm done....for now.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 PM   #299
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man
Off to Mordor with offspring who don't fully understand the difficulties of being a parent
And off to Mordor with adults who seem to think that moody teenagers are going to care one whit about the difficulties of being a parent. If they didn't want to worry endlessly, they shouldn't have had kids.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:19 PM   #300
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

This argument is quite ridiculous and I suspect you both realise it. The solution should be obvious to all: Both parents and children must be sent to Mordor, for the benefit of me.

But I'm noticing that quite a few things I like are being sent to Mordor. It's probably easier if I just go.

For the record, I've still not been sent to Mordor (compare that with Saucepan and certain others who have been sent dozens of times). Ah! I'm so desirable...

Anyone else still happily unharrassed in the Shire?
Old 08-29-2005, 02:55 PM   #301
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Anyone else still happily unharrassed in the Shire?
I assign Eomer of the Rohirrim to Mordor. Just to see if he has more fangirls than Johnny Depp.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:14 PM   #302
wilwarin538
Fluttering Enchantment

wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.wilwarin538 is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to wilwarin538
Quote:
I assign Eomer of the Rohirrim to Mordor. Just to see if he has more fangirls than Johnny Depp.
Its probably a tie, or atleast I hope so.

I send CaptainofDespair to Mordor, for sending Johnny Depp to Mordor.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #303
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Fea grabs a cloak and a walking stick and sets off to Mordor to retrieve Johnny Depp and Eomer.

Be back soon, savvy?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #304
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
People on IM who sign in and out and back in and back out repeatedly so that the little pop-up keeps getting in my way while I'm trying to do other things (besides, the sound alert is irritating). Make up your mind! Do you want to be logged in or not!?

The attendance office at my school who called my house the other night (a recorded message, of course, so we couldn't correct them) trying to tell me I wasn't in one or more of my classes during the day when I definitely was.

My cousin (and possibly best friend, go figure) when she's being pushy and angsty about life in general - "I'm doing my homework!" "But I want to complain to you about my little brother and parents and homework etc!" Not quite in those words, but that's the gist of it.

Last edited by Firefoot; 08-29-2005 at 04:56 PM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #305
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
And off to Mordor with adults who seem to think that moody teenagers are going to care one whit about the difficulties of being a parent.
Actually, that's fine by me. Enough things have been sent to Mordor to keep me happily amused for many a day and I get a break from the kids.

Not that I actually know what it's like to be the parent of a teenager yet. I have that delight in store. In just about 5 years' time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea
If they didn't want to worry endlessly, they shouldn't have had kids.
It doesn't work like that ...
Old 08-30-2005, 05:46 AM   #306
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Since we're on the subject, I would like to send any adult that thinks any negative thought a teenager has is due to hormones and just being moody rather than considering even for a second that said teenager might have a reason for this negativity past that of their age.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #307
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Perhaps Mordor could be the next location for Brat Camp ...
Old 08-30-2005, 06:26 AM   #308
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man with Pans
Perhaps Mordor could be the next location for Brat Camp ...
With ease, seeing as reality shows are already in Mordor.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:10 AM   #309
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
In response to Kath and Fea - All parents, from adolescence to an age we haven't quite reached yet, should go to Mordor. They can come back once our hormones make us like them again.
Thank you, I need a vacation!! School won't start for my children for another week!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpM
Off to Mordor with offspring who don't fully understand the difficulties of being a parent, or that part of being a parent is a constant, never-ending and sometimes irrational worry over their children, or that when they seem to be spoiling your fun they usually only have your best interests at heart ...
Of course, they don't understand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
:And off to Mordor with adults who seem to think that moody teenagers are going to care one whit about the difficulties of being a parent. If they didn't want to worry endlessly, they shouldn't have had kids.
Then I curse/bless you, Feanor, with at least one of thine own issue (in good time) so that you can experience the indescribable feeling of loving someone so much, more than any other person including your own parents, that you would live for them, die for them, even perhaps kill for them but above all else make (what appears to) them miserable in the short-run so they can be happy and alive in the long-run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Since we're on the subject, I would like to send any adult that thinks any negative thought a teenager has is due to hormones and just being moody rather than considering even for a second that said teenager might have a reason for this negativity past that of their age.
Of course it's hormones! You forget, we were once teenagers, too!

I send to Mordor: S.O.L's Standard Of Learning tests, that pigeon-hole children's intellect and enslave teachers to teach "to the test" rather than important things.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:28 AM   #310
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbytlass
Of course it's hormones! You forget, we were once teenagers, too!
I don't believe it. If our parents ever truly were the teens they claim to be, they would remember that we aren't always wrong, and even if we are, to let us learn from our mistakes instead of carefully banning us from making any and then getting mad when we do.

You know... I can so vividly imagine teenagers and parents warring in Mordor.

Oh, you know what else goes there? That dreadful phrase I'm sure every teen here has heard:

"You are judged by the company you keep."

Just because some of my best friends in high school were stoners doesn't mean I'm one, and it doesn't make them bad people. Some of the best friends I've had are labelled sketchy by "those who love me".

Oh, and also people who think that a Straight Edge lifestyle means you've got a gang mentality and are willing to beat the tar out of people who follow the opposite sort of life.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 AM   #311
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fea Halfelven
That dreadful phrase I'm sure every teen here has heard:

"You are judged by the company you keep."
Ugh, I know. That phrase infuriates me. Unfortunately, my vocabulary seems to have gone out the window (it is very hot) so I won't speculate further on the idiocy of that particular teacher.

Heatwaves go to Mordor. As do Coldwaves, or whatever normal people call them.

Oh, and Fea, I believe you'll only be able to carry one person back... *Delights at the expression of hopeless horror on Fea's face*
Old 08-30-2005, 08:47 AM   #312
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

So we are sending to Mordor those who act out of a genuine sense of love, devotion and duty simply because, on occasion, they can get it wrong, even though nobody (no, not even those who are parents) is able to exercise perfect judgment and get things right 100% of the time?

On my reading of LotR, that seems rather back to front to me ...

Perhaps we should just send all teenagers to Mordor for a limited period so that their parents may take a well-earned break. As TGWBS pointed out, Brat Camp is already there to take care of the most troublesome of them. And the variety of teachers, school subjects, tests and exams that have been sent there will keep the remainder occupied.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:20 AM   #313
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Or maybe we should send all parents to Mordor. That way they can have a break from their kids but said kids don't have to spend their time there!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:25 AM   #314
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
Or maybe we should send all parents to Mordor. That way they can have a break from their kids but said kids don't have to spend their time there!
I refer you to my earlier answer (#305).

Tsk! I don't know! Typical teenagers. Always answering back their elders and betters ...

*ducks barrage of hormone-fuelled missiles*
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #315
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

*throws barrage of hormone-fuelled missiles*

Goodo, hope you have fun

And you complain that we answer back yet you complain that we are being moody if we don't speak. It's quite hard to win really since to continue a conversation you have to answer.

But, to keep this thread on some kind of context, to Mordor with osteopaths who try to crush you! It's quite scary sometimes.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #316
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Childless Adult and Loving It

Glad to be watching this from the sidelines. Really quite funny!

The RP will have to have some kind of spoof on the war between the generations. Somehow, some way ... the Barrowdowns way.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:20 AM   #317
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Feanor[/B]] I don't believe it. If our parents ever truly were the teens they claim to be, they would remember that we aren't always wrong, and even if we are, to let us learn from our mistakes instead of carefully banning us from making any and then getting mad when we do.
Hey, we're parents, not perfect! We do remember being teenagers, it's just that through a little more experience of life, we know more than we did as teenagers. I would assume that teenagers would agree that they know more than 12 year olds, and remember being 12 and yet still find 12 year olds rather irksome, sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Fea[/B]]"You are judged by the company you keep."
I don't care for that statement either because it isn't right, and I mean right in the sense that no one should judge others by race, color, gender etc...BUT it is a fact of life that people do, so as long as a person understands this and doesn't get angry when they are judged, evenly wrongly, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I assign to Mordor papercuts.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #318
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

I'm loving all this teen vs parent action.

And what's amazing is I'm finding myself siding with the parents though I have yet to sire offspring.
Quote:
Yeah, that would be annoying if they stood there watching you (mine never did that), but there's nothing wrong with them wanting to know what you are doing.
Quote:
Eighteen isn't the age where you start to like them again?
There's supposed to be a time when you don't like your protectors, providers, and life-givers?!

I've always liked mine.
Quote:
Off to Mordor with offspring who don't fully understand the difficulties of being a parent, or that part of being a parent is a constant, never-ending and sometimes irrational worry over their children, or that when they seem to be spoiling your fun they usually only have your best interests at heart ....
Amen. I'm with SPM.

Though I'm not a parent, I often take care of my cousins or my friends' kids, and my experiences with them have made me really really really sympathize with parents.
Quote:
You are judged by the company you keep
My parents never tossed me that line, probably because my close friends that I hung out with were not pot-heads, crack-heads, gangsters, sluts, thieves, or jerks. Parents wouldn't have a reason to utter that dreaded line if their kids didn't hang around with such people.
Quote:
So we are sending to Mordor those who act out of a genuine sense of love, devotion and duty simply because, on occasion, they can get it wrong, even though nobody (no, not even those who are parents) is able to exercise perfect judgment and get things right 100% of the time?
Apparently, yes.

I dunno- it seems like every non-parent is on the side opposed to me. Perhaps I had unusually awesome parents? For one thing, teens always think they know everything. I did too (I still do). But the difference was, I never thought I knew more than my dad- he's a genius. Perhaps that kept me from being a normal teenager?

Anyway, off to Mordor with all teens who don't understand that parents see their children as extensions of their own bodies and souls, and are just as interested in and worried about their children as they are themselves, and want to spare their children as many bumps and bruises, physical and emotional, as possible, and help their children be better at everything than they were when they were young.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:13 AM   #319
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Don't forget to experience the fury of our giiiiiift shoooooop...

Hey, I can sympathize with the Parents - I know how difficult teenagers can be, having been so myself. And y'know what? Living with myself has given me a vision for later in life - I am going to be the worst parent any of you can dream of.

Looks like we'll have to have alternating weeks in Mordor. I can see the tour bus now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tour Bus Driver
...and over there by that ugly skyscraper desecrating the already polluted skyline is a band of inconsiderate smokers munching black licorice everyone, and watch out for those lima bean patches...there's one now! *bam!* Oh, don't worry everyone, we just blew a tire running over a beer bottle. And look, there's the bum that threw it! Everyone, after him!
I'd like to send to Mordor those annoying guys who provide the voiceovers at the end of infomercials and commercials.

"This piece of crap is available for only ninteen easy payments of 19.95! Call now and receive TWO pieces of crap for the exorbitant price of one! Free shipping for an extra fee! CALL NOW!!!!"

Sore throats that appear for no reason should go.

Bags of candy that come to an end too soon should go and stay.

Tooth fillings that begin to peel off for no reason.

The ache that comes from flossing after a long hiatus should go.

Mouth-breathing gingivitus is a pain. Off you go, you bloody mess! *kick*

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:19 AM   #320
Alphaelin
Wight

Alphaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saucepan Man

Not that I actually know what it's like to be the parent of a teenager yet. I have that delight in store. In just about 5 years' time ...
Compared to teens, Mordor is a picnic in the park. If you don't ask about their day, they complain you don't care. If you do, you're accused of being nosy. If you go out without them, they think you don't want them around. If you request their presence at dinner, they think you're a control freak. If you ask who they are going out with, you're a control freak. If you attempt to use *your* phone or computer, which *you* are paying for, you're trying to come between them and their friends and you're a control freak. God forbid you should ask about school!

And this is from a good kid with (mostly) good judgement and good grades. All I want is a little face-to-face time and some conversation (and the occasional use of my phone and 'puter during normal waking hours). I would never consign my teen to Mordor, but I'd be happy to go there myself just for a break! (Especially if Johnny Depp is still there.)

I didn't see my mom's side of things till I was in my mid-twenties, so I figure I've got another ten years of this before we start getting along again.