The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-17-2004, 01:14 PM   #1
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Thengal has just left Hobbiton.
Shield Who would you fight alongside?

If you were at Pelenor Fields and you had the choice, who would you fight alongside. Pretend you don't know what's going to happen to them during the battle. Personally I would fight with Theoden. The Rohirrim would follow him to hell itself and if I was there I would too. A man who inspires that kind of devotion is special. I would ride Theoden if I had the choice.
Thengal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fighting with Theoden would be an inspiring place to be. But I would have liked to have been able to fight alongside Aragorn or Gandalf.<P>If I could find out at some point that Eowyn was actually a woman, I would love to fight with her. That would be truly inspiring.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:29 PM   #3
Phervasaion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Phervasaion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would want to fight along side Aragorn the most. His speach at the end of the film was very inspiring, towards me anyway.<P>Second from Aragorn i would fight along side Theoden. It would be brilliant charging down all the orcs at pelenor along side hum.
Old 01-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #4
The Dark Elf
Haunting Spirit

The Dark Elf has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Dark Elf
The Eye

i would fight along side with the Easterlings. they arent disgusting like the orcs, but they are on the same side as Sauron. If i was there, I would figure Sauron would win. Plus Easterlings are cool
Old 01-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #5
Fosco Burrows
Pile O'Bones

Fosco Burrows has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

The Easterlings and the Haraddim have the best looking kit and of course who wouldn't fancy a ride on one of those Mumak?! As far as the good guys are concerned Rohan always strikes me as a bunch of top blokes!!!
Old 01-17-2004, 03:51 PM   #6
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Sting

I don't know. I would enjoy fighing on horseback, yet the garb of the Rohirrim, as the movie portrays it, does not appeal to me. And I don't like those smaller swords they carry...give me a broadsword like Aragorn's any day. But I suppose I would fight alongside Eomer, post-Theoden's death.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 03:54 PM   #7
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Dark Elf, I wasn't expecting anyone to say any of the enemy but now you bring it up, it would make sense for someone to join them. Nobody thought the Army of the West had a chance and if you can't beat 'em join 'em. Or so they thought
Old 01-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

I'd probably want to fight alongside Aragorn. That "leap over the side of the ship and scare the bejeezus out of the Orc-Pig" maneuver was brilliant!!!!
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 05:55 PM   #9
Thengal
Haunting Spirit

Sting

Finwe, more importantly was the orc-pig getting KILLED. I thought the only bad part about ROTK was he didn't die a terrible death.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Jjudvven
Wight

Jjudvven has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Jjudvven
Sting

I think I would most like to fight alongside Gandalf. Although it would be great to do battle with Aragorn, or Gimli, or Legolas...
Old 01-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #11
BoromirsBeard
Pile O'Bones

BoromirsBeard has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Put me on the battlements of Minas Tirith hurling rocks at the orcs with giant slingshots. Only, we need about ten times that many, and a big scarecrow to keep the fell beasts away
BoromirsBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2004, 10:04 PM   #12
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

I would fight alongside gandalf all the way, to see glamdrings fire in battle once again...<BR> <BR> -CHEERS!
Old 01-17-2004, 10:27 PM   #13
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

What about Narsil?? My favorite sword in movie-dom...I never tire of holding my own reproduction.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Old 01-18-2004, 06:57 PM   #14
Leona
Animated Skeleton

Leona has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Personally I am surprised we haven't seen a bunch of "Legolas because he is the best" posts, but, don't look at me to do that. I would definatly be on the walls defending Minas Tirith. <P>Later,<BR>Leona
Old 01-19-2004, 01:29 AM   #15
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

This is a hard question But I think that I would most likely choose Aragorn (Theoden would be a close second). He's brave, strong, and never gives up. He is the kind of warrior I would like to be (instead of the whimpy, run towards the hills, scared of blood kind).
Old 01-19-2004, 06:18 AM   #16
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Snipering the orcs from a safe level of Minas Tirith with Legolas would be pretty cool. <P>As would waiting on the boat while the men of the mountains went on there big wipe out job.<P>But realistically, I would have liked to be there with Theoden and his men, one woman and hobbit when they first arrive. I also would have liked to survive that battle and fight under Aragorns lead near the Black Gate.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #17
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Theoden, no contest! There's such loyalty inside all of his men, and they will fight to the death for him. I can imagine that he would have been a pretty brilliant leader, if his men truat and love him like that. And just thinking of that charge gives me a tingle... imagine the atmosphere... it would be amazing.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:32 PM   #18
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> more importantly was the orc-pig getting KILLED. I thought the only bad part about ROTK was he didn't die a terrible death. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You're not alone! I nearly screamed in anger when he wasn't killed by that stone that was catupulted by Gondor. I swear, I wanted to grab a sword myself and kill him. <P><BR>I would likely fight beside Aragorn; I think It'd make me feel more secure, not to mention that I'd have a bit more confidence in him than the others (don't know why but he seems more battle wise). My second choice would be Eowyn (that is if I knew who she truly was).

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 02:40 PM   #19
Oroaranion
Haunting Spirit

Oroaranion has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

In the movies, I would have to fight along side the Rohirrim or Aragorn and the Dead Army. They glow green.<P>In the book though, I would be with Prince Imrahil. He's great!
Old 01-19-2004, 09:34 PM   #20
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You're not alone! I nearly screamed in anger when he wasn't killed by that stone that was catupulted by Gondor. I swear, I wanted to grab a sword myself and kill him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I thought it was rather inconsiderate to have an orc "general" type character likeunto Lurtz, and then not have him killed. However, in that behind-the-scenes thing not too long ago, they showed footage of Gimli and Aragorn teaming up to kill the guy, so it'll most likely be in the Extended Edition.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #21
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would probably slink along with Arogorn, the Dunedain, and the dead army. I'd stay WAY out of the way while they fought with the ship people (I mean I'd hide under the plank, or something...). Then while the Dunedain fight at Pelenor, I'd stay hidden in the ship.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 AM   #22
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'd have to say the White Rider! There's just something about a guy who can thwart Nazgul and their Fell Beasts with a bright light from his staff. Really inspiring! And just in case I didn't know that was going to happen, it is still quite something to fight alongside someone who has risen from the dead. It gives one hope! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:03 PM   #23
Eothain Elfwine
Animated Skeleton

Eothain Elfwine has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Only one person, Knight of Gondor, I think, has mentioned Eomer after he thinks Eowyn is dead. I would fight with him, especially as he laughs at despair and shouts his great cry: <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising<BR>I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing. <BR>To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:<BR>Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Then Tolkien says of him: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> he was still unscathed, and he was young, and he was king: the lord of a fell people. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>My original thought was Aragorn, for he was a man noble, virtuous, pure, courageous, and everything that would inspire obedience and devotion, but I realized that Eomer got to fight beside him just moments later, and to be with the two of them together in battle (though I don't think I'd have the courage to face battle in reality) would theoretically be the best experience.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:43 PM   #24
Lenwe
Animated Skeleton

Lenwe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would like to fight alongside with Prince Imrahil KNIGHTS OF DOL AMROTH
Lenwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:05 AM   #25
Grimkû the Blood-Axe
Animated Skeleton

Grimkû the Blood-Axe has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>more importantly was the orc-pig getting KILLED. I thought the only bad part about ROTK was he didn't die a terrible death.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>You're not alone! I nearly screamed in anger when he wasn't killed by that stone that was catupulted by Gondor. I swear, I wanted to grab a sword myself and kill him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Please click on the following link:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.patriotresource.com/lotr/pics/cast/makoare.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://www.patriotresource.com/lotr/pics/cast/makoare.jpg</A> <P>and ask yourself 'is this guy really worth the frustration?'<P>personally i think its great make up and costume design and acting from the crew and Lawrence.
Old 01-24-2004, 06:39 PM   #26
Gashberz
Haunting Spirit

Gashberz has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Gashberz
Sting

Well see I would feel comforted to know that i was going to die fighting alongside Gandalf
Old 01-24-2004, 10:04 PM   #27
Enorëiel
Wight

Enorëiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I thought it was rather inconsiderate to have an orc "general" type character likeunto Lurtz, and then not have him killed. However, in that behind-the-scenes thing not too long ago, they showed footage of Gimli and Aragorn teaming up to kill the guy, so it'll most likely be in the Extended Edition. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Serious? Thank goodness! I can tell you right now, if I see that I'll be jumping outta my seat and doing a victory/happy dance. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> and ask yourself 'is this guy really worth the frustration?' <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The guy isn't but his character? Heck yeah!

Whoever said "Nothing is impossible" never tried to slam a revolving door.
Enorëiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 07:01 AM   #28
Kintar Ravenlock

Sting

That was an easy choice.... Aragon, all the way.... Aragons skill with a blade, i think that it surpasses anyone else....
Old 02-04-2004, 07:00 PM   #29
Minyataurien
Pile O'Bones

Minyataurien has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

I would say Aragorn. I would probably do something clumsy, like drop my sword, and at least he'd be there to keep them away while I picked my sword back up and wondered why I was even there fighting in the first place.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:05 PM   #30
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

Well, I would fight alongside the following people in the following cases.<P>Theoden: If I wanted to be inspired to victory and beside the bravest men I'd ever known (glorious, but impractical, considering he's the Witch-King's target)<P>Aragorn: If I wanted safety. That guy would kill every orc who even gets near him or me.<P>Gimli: If I wanted a smart-aleck comment about everything to keep me in a good mood while slicing orcs.<P>Legolas: If I just wanted to watch.<P>Gandalf: If I wanted cryptic in-battle messages or sudden changes between optimism and pessimism.<P>Eowyn: I wouldn't know it was her, so that's pointless.<P>Eomer: Again, If I wanted to be safe. He's a good fighter, not as good as ol' Strider, but still good.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 05:30 AM   #31
Lobelia
Wight

Lobelia has just left Hobbiton.
Ooh, Gimli, definitely! I'd feel totally safe *behind* that whirling axe, provided I could keep up with him. I could always promise to count his orcs for him while he fought, and save him the hassle!
Lobelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:59 PM   #32
Macphisto
Pile O'Bones

Macphisto has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Macphisto
Hmm, well, I have to say I'm more of an ambush person myself, so I'd probably go with Faramir and his rangers. They get to wear those cool Robin Hood-esque cloaks. And they're multi-weapon: bows, swords - you name it. Yeah, I think that's the crew for me.

Though, come to think of it, fighting with Ghan-Buri-Ghan and his Wildmen would be a lot of fun. He's one of my favorite irrelevant characters in LotR. Talk like Yoda, I could.

But since neither of them really make it to the Pelennor (and I can't say I'd want to ride out with Faramir onto the Pelennor, however much I love him) I'd have to say in one of the cavalries, either Eomer's or Imrahil's.

Though, I can't ignore the appeal of riding a mumak... Such tough decisions...
Old 02-23-2004, 09:15 PM   #33
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Since I'm an archer myself, I would have loved to fight alongside Legolas, and take down scores of Orcs by his side. Of course, my self-esteem would also take a beating, considering he's had, what, 1000-something years to practice, whereas I've only had about 3 months. (Hey, I'm still pretty good! Even my coach thinks so! )
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:11 AM   #34
Kidd2323
Animated Skeleton

Kidd2323 has just left Hobbiton.
Were I to follow the movie alone, I would absolutely follow Theoden above even Aragorn. He looks death and despair in the face unflinchingly...(yes, I know, Aragorn treads the Paths of the Dead, but not having the Dunedain nor the horses present in the movie leaves a little bit of Aragorn's strength and courage lacking. It almost seems like suicide, three measly beings treading needlessly a path of certain death. Aragorn--the movie version--didn't command the loyalty and courage unto death as did the book version.)
Theoden faced the marauding hordes with "Death" as his chant. Which prevokes a greater courage? Theoden facing thousands to reknown only in song...his words!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #35
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Sting I would fight with?

The person I would choose (if he wasn't dead) to fight along side with would obviously be Boromir. He was a great fighter and a great military person, not much wisdom in lore like his brother, but definately one of these best fighters in the fellowship.

But, since he is dead I would choose next Theoden. His men knew what trouble they were getting into and probably knew they were going to die. They stepped up and fought for there king they did what he wanted and were loyal to Theoden. He would be nice to fight along side.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #36
warrenerd
Animated Skeleton

warrenerd has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to warrenerd
Eye

i would've liked to fight beside aragorn or legolas just because it would've been such an honor to be in the presence of two such amazing heroes. especially legolas, because he was so wise and had seen so much. i mean, he was so much older than anyone else in the fellowship, except for gandalf, of course. and, standing next to them, i think their calm, determined attitudes would've rubbed off on me and i would fight so hard, running on the inspiration they had instilled with me, if nothing else.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:11 PM   #37
Nirvana II
Wight

Nirvana II has just left Hobbiton.
i would have fought with aragorn,legolas,or.....mysteriously....pippin, because of his Valiance

Вы - пончик желе!

Я оказался снова.

Частное сообщение меня, если Вы понимаете.
Nirvana II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #38
Anarion
Animated Skeleton

Anarion has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Eowyn. First, the biggest kill of the war is the chief Naz. Second, in the book, she's much more a Warrior than a Maiden.
Anarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:57 AM   #39
Bandobras Took
Pile O'Bones

Bandobras Took has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I would most likly fight along side Gandi because he is just so awsome! Second of all I am only 14 and would most likly get my but kicked so it would be good to have him there. Also It would be really cool to fight with Gimly. his brute force is just amazing.
Bandobras Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #40
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dûm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
I would....

I would fight along side Aragorn because he is noble, brave and an amazing fighter, but also taking into consideration the fact that I'd be an elf I'd want to fight along side my kin so I'd also have to say Legolas.
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote