Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #2441
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
White-Hand

ok I am slightly confused are we all back to the same timeline again? if so we now have the soldiers in the stables who will be alerted to the commotion, Thorden and Ceon returning from the field, as well as Matrim and Adhel the healer going to find Balvir (hopefully in the stable), then W&W returning to the hall to come across Scyrr first. does this sound about right? perhaps Ginna and frodides could find Adhel???

Also Matrim was missing from drills and one soldier at least would notice
Old 03-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #2442
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerindel View Post
ok I am slightly confused are we all back to the same timeline again? if so we now have the soldiers in the stables who will be alerted to the commotion, Thorden and Ceon returning from the field, as well as Matrim and Adhel the healer going to find Balvir (hopefully in the stable), then W&W returning to the hall to come across Scyrr first. does this sound about right? perhaps Ginna and frodides could find Adhel???

Also Matrim was missing from drills and one soldier at least would notice
That's about how I see the situation.

But,

I think W&W should actually find Scyrr first as the story-timeline goes.

We others sure can go on posting before Lommy has time to do that as long as we just keep those three out of our posts. So we can write of things happening "now", like when everyone's back at the hall (for dinner?). Lommy can write W&W in a way which starts with the reminiscence of - or telling others - how they met Scyrr (or they can come up with something together, she and Legate).

Does that sound okay? Or understandable in the first place...

Also Nerindel: let me know when your characters are willing to take their places at lord Athanar's table eg. when he should introduce their real status to others in the MH (like this day or maybe the next, or...). Or if you think they will not do it in the near future, let me also know that.

Last edited by Nogrod; 03-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #2443
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

Let me know when to insert this post - HERE - and exactly where you want it placed.

~*~ Pio
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #2444
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Ooooh, now I'm all excited and I want to post again! But I don't know what to post, and I don't know how to post it... So I'm going to do a lot of reading and hopefully post something during this spring break! I can't wait!

Nogrod, I know you're busy, but d'ye think we can get something together for Javan and the old man? (I forget his name at present.) I'd love to.

And I need to post for Saeryn in regards to Erbrand's departure and Scyrr and all that jolly stuff....plus Thornden is coming back. Except, Thornden comes back well after Erbrand has left, so I'm really quite confused on all this.

Oh, oh, by the way - what happened with Erbrand and Scyrr probably did not end until about half way through drills. As I see it, Lithor had gone out with the men, but was sent back because his horse had a pebble in his foot and the others thought he was lamed...which means, our timing is not all that far off.

Oh, and another thought, but this more directed towards Lommy - Your two willians said that they were going to make sure their sister is alright, seeing as their father wasn't doing such a great job (or that was the jist of it). Does that mean that Javan is in some sort of danger? I'm awaiting anxiously to see what exactly you meant, because this isn't the first time you've talked about it.

-- Foley
Old 03-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #2445
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okies, I posted for the idiots/lads/brutes/guys/boys/cuties.

Hooks for other people:

Soldiers in the stables - there was Will's brief visit. Did that cause any reaction?

People on the yard - if you have keen eyes or listen to shouting military voices, you would know there's something slightly wrong.

Rowenna - can be the woman assigned with the duty of finding the healer. But if Fea is busy and we need dialogue, it can be Modtryth too.

Aedhel - is being looked for by people, probably by Ginna and/or Frodides and also by Rowenna/Modtryth. No one is writing Ginna and Frodides right now so if they find Aedhel the post-writing is up to you, Nerindel.

Scyrr - if you Legate want to continue, Wilheard is with him now, probably not talking much though, but I don't think it's necessry to follow them right now.

Athanar - *ring ring* you're being called, sir. I think you Nogrod can decide if Wulfric's news were already delivered to Athanar by Ginna and/or Frodides or not and then it's also sort of up to you to continue the plot.

Feeling very much like organising stuff right now as you can see.

And before I forget, I talked with Kath on FB. In short, she is very busy and not returning any day soon and Groin's post is okay with her for now, but she said: "Kara doesn't want to have married him, can tell you that much." and "If I ever come back, someone can just ask Kara about what happened and I'll just say she was so confused by what was happening she took the ring without thinking."

Mmh. I guess I'm sort of currently responsible of all the "kitchen clique", that is Kara and Frodides (Kath's characters, the cooks), Ginna (Lhuna's character, a maid) and of course Modtryth. I have nothing against the reponsibility, but it's a pity Lhuna and Kath can't be around and their characters would definitely deserve more attention than to just be random carry-alongs...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #2446
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
PS. Foley, don't worry, I don't have any plans yet.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #2447
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, wow. I posted. I do not like it at all, it's uber long, but I did it anyway. If it doesn't make sense, PLEASE tell me. I wrote it while I was super tired...

The end there...I figured if a pregnant lady was ever going to faint, now would be a good time. If it's ridiculous, let me know and I can take it out. I feel like it's kind of dumb, but it amused me, so I kept it.

I think I'm viewing the timeline like this:

The trials end

While Coenred and the men at arms go out and start their drills:

Lithor goes out with men-at-arms.
Javan apologizes
Saeryn and Athanar finish their discussion
Matrim and Balvir give their message to Adhel.
Erbrand works on his tanning stuff.
The two W's are riding.

The drills continue while:

Saeryn goes to her room.
Javan finds Raban, the other kids do what ever.
Adhel and Matrim go to speak with Athanar.
Scyrr and Erbrand fight.
Lithor fakes the lamed horse and starts to bring him back.

The drills continue......while:

Adhel and Matirm leave Athanar.
Erbrand flees back to the mainhall to get his horse and leave.
He and Lithor meet, they talk, they plan, they pack. . .they leave.

The drills end probably not long after Erbrand and Lithor leave the settlement.
Scyrr is dragged back to the courtyard while the men are returning from drill (that means he is dumped somewhere not in the middle of the courtyard, otherwise, everyone would notice - it's more like on the edge, isn't it? By the kitchen?)
The two W's return...

And I think that's where we are, right?

I believe a lot of time can actually pass between the trials and when Erbrand and Scyrr fight, because Erbrand was working for some time before Scyrr even comes near.

I may not be remembering things right, plus I know I am not thinking very clearly anyway, so correct me if I'm wrong. What I wrote above is my impression of how the time is working out....this way, everyone can be back where they need to be and we have no confusion of time, no bouncing back and forth.

-- Foley
Old 03-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #2448
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What happened, did I scare everyone away with my post? Please say something, someone! I'm lonely. Plus, I'm excited about how things could continue.

-- Foley
Old 03-27-2010, 05:25 AM   #2449
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Don't worry, don't worry! I, for instance, haven't read your post yet, as I want to have proper peace for that and as I am sure it will make me want to post (I want to post anyway, for Hilderinc in the stables for instance), I want to be sure I have time after I read it - and I had a lot of stuff for school to do now. So just wait a while, hopefully tomorrow will do it for me

Oh, aside from that, only one thing. As I assume Scyrr would have wanted to participate in the drills (well, not wanted, but he was supposed to!), I actually thought that the encounter with Erbrand happened earlier, something like the soldiers were about to leave in a minute, Scyrr left to the stream, sort of hoping he won't be late or not too late, and then he got sort of stuck... But I guess we can sort of "hush up" the logic of the timeline and leave it be
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #2450
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Legate, I had forgotten that Scyrr would have to be at the drills. I don't know. It seems to me that if he were going to the dirlls, he would not have been down by the water to even start a fight. We obviously have to bend the timeline somewhat, but I don't know how.

Still looking forward to people's posts...

-- Foley
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #2451
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Well I think we can just brush it under the table, really. Nobody would have noticed it unless we started to make a timeline I mean, I think it's okay to think that it happened just before the soldiers left, then Scyrr was dragged back to the camp, lying there for a while and whatnot... I think let's not think about it.

And for that matter, yes, I am sorry, I didn't get to read/write anything yet. I was totally busy up to yesterday... now let's see, I am sure I will post something... eventually... but hey, am I the only one around here anyway?
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 03-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #2452
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
but hey, am I the only one around here anyway?
No, but see above...
Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #2453
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Okay. Sorry for missing the thread for just a too loong a time.

But I have now posted for lord Athanar and looking at the ending of my post some people are coming... feel free to be the ones... or post for Will or Scyrr.

It might be a technical question, but how about we just said that Scyrr took part in the drilling in the first part of it and then - for some reason - had to come back to do something (he was the one to be the "kitchen-aid" to carry water or something, he slipped away to get some snack while there was a short pause, his horse was injured slightly and he had to get some balm for it, some of his gear broke and he went to find a replacement... whatever).
Old 04-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #2454
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
It might be a technical question, but how about we just said that Scyrr took part in the drilling in the first part of it and then - for some reason - had to come back to do something (he was the one to be the "kitchen-aid" to carry water or something, he slipped away to get some snack while there was a short pause, his horse was injured slightly and he had to get some balm for it, some of his gear broke and he went to find a replacement... whatever).
That sounds actually good and would make sense, and would settle our problems, unless there was something we overlooked. Agreed.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #2455
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

I will try to post for W&W tomorrow if I have time, if not, then as soon as possible.

ps. Nogrod - I know it's confusing, but Wilheard is spelled only with one L even though his nickname - Will - has two. No need to edit but remember it in future.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #2456
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Eeeeh.... Do I have to read all 18 pages of post in order to join the Meadhall, Lommy?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #2457
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Oh, no, Eorl. Don't even attempt it. Um...what kind of character are you thinking of introducing? Allow me to give you a summary of what has occurred, and then you can form your character accordingly and join.

About a month ago, Lord Eodwine, the realy eorl of Scarburg, fell sick. No one realized how sick he as until he positively collapsed, and no one in Scarburg could do anything about it, so they took him to Edoras. King Eomer, who had granted Eodwine his position as Eorl and given him Scarburg, did not think Eodwine likely to return soon, so he decided to set a new eorl over the place, despite the fact that Eodwine had a wife, Saeryn, who the people of Scarburg thought perfectly capable of ruling in Eodwine's stead until his return.

The new eorl is Athanar, who has just arrived in the game the previous day, game time. We are currently playing the day after his first night. The day of his arrival proved full of conflict, his people did not mix well with the Scarburg people. There were some fights and disagreements. Some of the Scarburgians think that Athanar and his people are usurpers of power - they especially resent the fact that Saeryn is being ousted from her place of lady of the hall by Athanar's wife. Tension, as you can imagine, is high.

Where we are now in the game - all the men-at-arms have just finished a drill type thing under the new captain/commander, Coenred. Thornden, the man who Eodwine had put into the position of captain, etc., is Coenred's .... lieutenant, you might say. He's under him, anyway.

One of Athanar's men-at-arms was for some reason unable to be with the others at the time of the drill, and he got into a fight with the Scarburgian man named Erbrand. Erbrand in the heat of the moment nearly strangled Scyrr to death and when he thought he was dead, he came to himself and realized his own danger and ran. Before he could leave he was met up by another Scarburgian man named Lithor (a man-at-arms who quite unintentionally got mixed up the wrong way with Athanar the previous night) and he and Lithor left together...

So, right now, Scyrr has just been found, Athanar has been allerted about what happened to him, Lithor's absence has not been verified, and I have a vague feeling the place is about to errupt. Good luck slipping unnoticed into the story.

Does that help? Anything else I should add, anyone?

-- Foley
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #2458
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Does that help? Anything else I should add, anyone?
You have basically summed up the most important general events very well. I would only add that if you want any help with introducing your character into the story, Eorl, you might as well try to ask us around here. I mean: it's probably the easiest if you come up with a character to your own likes, and then unless you have a good idea yourself, you can ask around and we might help you to find his place. Basically there can be "old" soldiers, "new" soldiers* (including soldiers from Edoras from the King himself, who however are expected to leave back home later - though that's still some time and certainly an excuse could be devised for a single person who'd wish to stay, or something ), (old) peasants, whatnot... and of course you can even introduce somebody from the outside, if you really wanted (though that'd prove a bit more tricky, but only a bit)...

*There are a few "half-NPC" characters who don't have much of a character up to now and whom you could pick and develop if you didn't have any better idea - though I assume you'd have an idea of your own, too.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:16 AM   #2459
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Nice to see you're interested, Eorl. I hope Folwren and Legate have satisfied your curiousity for starters, if not just ask. We like new writers.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM   #2460
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

The Shire Roleplay Form that I sent Piosenniel have been received with profound silence, so I decided to tackle the 18 pages of the Meadhall in the meantime. I'm on page 9 as of now. Heh. Rowenna is so cute! And so is Eodwine. And Erbrand. And Dan, too, he's adorable. And Oeric. And Scyld!

PS. shaggydog? Winterfell?

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-11-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #2461
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eorl of Rohan View Post
The Shire Roleplay Form that I sent Piosenniel have been received with profound silence, so I decided to tackle the 18 pages of the Meadhall in the meantime. I'm on page 9 as of now. Heh. Rowenna is so cute! And so is Eodwine. And Erbrand. And Dan, too, he's adorable. And Oeric. And Scyld!

PS. shaggydog? Winterfell?
Now you have set yourself a really demanding task, Eorl But if you manage to read it all, you'll probably be better "updated" than many of us (also with having it all fresh in the memory).

I think the relevant part most related to today starts somewhere in about half of page 13, in the lower half there is a post by Nogrod entitled 11th November, that's where many of the new characters who are active now come into the picture. Sadly, many of the old characters have disappeared (basically all you have named are not around anymore... their players are not, at least). Anyway, so if you feel you can read all the thread, I think it'll be brilliant, however if you felt you cannot, maybe it'll be better to focus more on the later pages (but given that you've made it this far...)
Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #2462
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Now you have set yourself a really demanding task, Eorl But if you manage to read it all, you'll probably be better "updated" than many of us (also with having it all fresh in the memory).
It's 3:16 in the morning and I have just finished. Wow. You've all certainly played an exciting RPG, haven't you? o_o
Though the question remains, how am I to integrate a new character into this hopelessly bizarre and completely absorbing storyline?
Although I would be glad to take charge of Scyrr, he seems my type of character. Is it okay for me to take him as my character?

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-11-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #2463
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Hey, if you want to take him, I would be happy to give him to your custody And at least I will have a good counterpart for Hilderinc there. In that case you could also decide what exactly is his condition. I will entrust him to you in hope that you will not treat him with any discontinuity with his previous personality, but looking positively forward to how you are going to unfold his character...

If not, otherwise, you can easily invent a soldier of your own, too.

And yes, it's been an interesting one. You've made quite a feat in reading all the stuff... so if you are decided, welcome among us and I am looking forward to your posting...
Old 04-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #2464
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Welcome Eorl!

Sorry it took me this long to welcome you but I have been overloaded with both work and werewolf...

I like the idea of you taking Scyrr into your hands. I'm looking forwards to have you in the company!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #2465
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
I will entrust him to you in hope that you will not treat him with any discontinuity with his previous personality, but looking positively forward to how you are going to unfold his character... If not, otherwise, you can easily invent a soldier of your own, too.
Thanks, I will try my best. I wanted to slide seamlessly into the picture without the disconnected confusion created by the introduction of a new character and Scyrr seemed to perfectly fit the bill. Besides, Scyrr is wounded. I love playing wounded and slightly feverish characters

Quote:
SCYRR - the type of person who speaks his mind openly, no matter what others think. A bit arrogant and self-centered. (...) Scyrr feels "on the same boat" with people he has known for a long time, and definitely now, in "hostile environment" he is more likely to stick to his comrades from Athanar's household (even possibly Hilderinc, whom he finds to be an annoying man who does not stick with the collective, but now he is still "closer" than the "foreigners"). (...) View of Scarburg: definitely negative. (...) Where there is but a single thing to criticise, Scyrr goes for it. (He would, however, never dare to criticise - certainly not openly - anybody who is superior to him, which would likely include even the original Scarburgian "nobility" like Saeryn etc.)
So the QUOTE above is your assessment of Scyrr's character, isn't it? I will certainly take this into account and try my best to not to mess up the continuity of the character, though having almost died by Erbrand's hands might have taken the wind out of him. So, with your permission, I will post a Profile for Scyrr soon and then jump into the fray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
Welcome Eorl! Sorry it took me this long to welcome you but I have been overloaded with both work and werewolf...
I like the idea of you taking Scyrr into your hands. I'm looking forwards to have you in the company!
You're the one who plays the new Eorl! You write so well, it would be an honor to roleplay with you !

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-11-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #2466
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

One more thing, Eorl!

If you're interested in Scyrr, you could check my edited version of the scene with Erbrand and Scyrr:

Quote:
Erbrand noticed some ladies fetching water from the stream that flowed into the marsh. The women were upstream and there was no worry about Erbrand polluting anything other than swamp water; however, it did not take long for Erbrand to find out their opinions of his revolting work. They sniffed the air and covered their noses. He could hear them exchanging some remarks and one of them was laughing. Erbrand could not stand being scorned at and his work being so unappreciated. In a rage he threw down his pole and angrily marched to where they were gathering water. They were not alone—there was a man with them. The two women were Ginna and Frodides and the man was a soldier, apparently ordered to help the two ladies and not enjoying his job.

The soldier looked up, grimaced and gave a snort. “Phhew! I came for drinking water, but looks like you came for a bath. ” Erbrand felt his rage rekindled.

“And who in tarnation are you to scorn me?” Erbrand bellowed. “Would you warm your hands in leather gloves? Saddle or bridle your horse? Do you dance to the sound of the drum or lace the chords of your armor? What about the bellows that heats the forge? It’s leather! Stinking leather. Do you want good shoes or do you not? Shall I create padding for the lord’s chairs? I hunt and trap for animals and I feed Scarburg with their meat and give people tools that make it possible for them to do their jobs. Why then do you scorn me?”

The soldier simply stared at him. Frodides and Ginna were doing the same although they were a bit more surprised at the outburst. Erbrand let out a long breath before finishing in a calmer yet sill annoyed voice.

“Now, let me get on with my scraper and dung, you hold your nostrils and hold your tongues.” Erbrand turned to leave when a pebble hit him in the back.

“Hey, tanner, watch your tongue.”

“I’m not in the mood today, soldier.” Erbrand said with particular emphasized scorn on the word soldier.

“Name’s Scyrr. And looks like you need to be taught some manners for your betters.”

That was all the provocation Erbrand needed. He spun round and with a mighty yell ran at the Scyrr. The soldier, however, expected this struck a sidelong blow sending Erbrand spinning but not falling. Frodides and Ginna yelled at the two to stop. Blood was spilt, it was too late as Erbrand made apparent as he untied his leather apron and tossed it aside. There was a wild gleam in Erbrand’s eyes as he rushed again. He leaped, hoping to tackle Scyrr, but the swarthy soldier stepped aside. Scyrr laughed as Erbrand spat tufts of mossy grass from his mouth.

"Hope you learnt your lesson, tanner."

Another exclamation of rage escaped Erbrand’s lips. Again and again Erbrand was struck down until his nose was bleeding and his gums were cut. For the fifth time Erbrand arose, sagging, bleeding and weary. Scyrr had been unhurt, keeping Erbrand at bay with ease.
“Do you still wish to continue?” Scyrr asked, smiling.

Again Erbrand rushed at him in rage. Again the soldier stepped aside, tripping Erbrand.
“Enough! Stop this nonsense!” Frodides exclaimed.

The soldier regarded the woman and turned back to Erbrand giving him a kick on the calf. It was not hard, nor was it gentle, but it was enough to excite an anger that surpassed any that Erbrand had known up to that time. Such was the treatment one gave a disobedient dog.

“I’m done - for today”, Scyrr said.

Whether Scyrr said this to frighten Erbrand or whether he said it because it was true, Erbrand never found out. In a fight anger is as good as courage. With fingers extended like talons, Erbrand’s hands seized Scyrr’s left leg with an iron grip and twisted it. The soldier gave a howl and collapsed next to Erbrand (who lost no time in returning Scyrr’s punishment blow for blow). This time Ginna took up the chorus with Frodides.

“Stop it! Fools. Before somebody gets hurt badly!”

The cry was not heeded. A knife flashed in the sunlight, it was Scyrr’s.

"Get off my leg or I'll sting you with this!" the soldier growled.

Erbrand struck relentlessly and hard. Soon he found his fingers around Scyrr’s neck, pressing harder and tighter.

“I am not some dog you can kick. I am a man! I am a man!”

Soft small hands grasped his and beat his strong shoulders. Erbrand let go of Scyrr’s throat. Ginna and Frodides knelt beside the Scyrr. He was not moving.

“Fools!” Frodides cursed.
Ginna's face was pale when she tried to find his pulse. “If he's dead ... Erbrand, if he's dead, you will hang for this.”
I say you can keep either Groin's original or my revision since you're the writer of Scyrr now, I just tried to make him a little less evil and a little more understandable. But in any case I want to keep what I revised about the women's behaviour because I think Groin mistreated them...

(Just fyi, I revised Groin's post because we had problems with it because he left with that and couldn't edit it himself and we couldn't quite agree with his character portrayals. But now it's of course up to you which Scyrr you'd like to keep, of course. We'll ask Pio to replace part of Groin's old post once we're decided what kind of edit we'd like to have... )

PS. Great to see someone so enthusiastic! I can't believe you read all of the thread though! Cool.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:49 AM   #2467
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
So the QUOTE above is your assessment of Scyrr's character, isn't it? I will certainly take this into account and try my best to not to mess up the continuity of the character, though having almost died by Erbrand's hands might have taken the wind out of him. So, with your permission, I will post a Profile for Scyrr soon and then jump into the fray.
Yes, it is. You can of course (and I would expect to) further explore that. So, looking forward to posting a profile for Scyrr...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I say you can keep either Groin's original or my revision since you're the writer of Scyrr now, I just tried to make him a little less evil and a little more understandable.
Indeed - speaking about that, Lommy's presentation of Scyrr makes his behavior also a bit more logical, as I don't think any sensible man would make a fight in such a provocative manner after they have been specifically told yesterday by their commander to avoid all brawls (I tried to show some reasons for Scyrr being annoyed and thus more easily provoked in one of my posts earlier on, when he's being brought back).
Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #2468
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Wow, this is really exciting! I'm glad you're so interested, Eorl. It's been quite a while since we've had some real movement on this thread. I hope people can find time soon to pick things up again.

Looking forward to seeing how you handle Scyrr!
Old 04-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #2469
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Scyrr Silvershield

Name: Scyrr Silvershield
Where From: Edoras

Appearance: I have closely read the posts involving Scyrr, and I have found only one description of his appearance: swarthy, that is, of a dusky skin color. But a rider of the Riddermark would be golden-haired and blue-eyed, unless Scyrr is of mixed blood, in which case the haughty personality would not make much sense. Developmental Psychology tells us that unfortunate disadvantages such as a funny name, or a different skin color in a mostly homogeneous culture, tend to put a damp on the development of I-am-of-a-higher-rank-than-you kind of attitude. I would assume that he is actually quite handsome and more importantly typically Rohirrim in appearance. The personality that is outlined in Legate of Amon Lanc's biography of Scyrr can be developed by a strong sense of affiliation with his heritage and an awareness of where he stands in the social hierarchy, and if this trait is so evident, then, well, he probably *looks* Rohirrim to the Core. This includes long and flowing golden hair and limpid blue eyes (I know, cheesy, but there you have it).

Scyrr is likely to be slender, quick to move out of his opponent’s range, relying on his nimbleness and dexterity to keep him out of harm’s way should it come to a direct clash. This is in continuity with the description of the brawl between Erbrand and Scyrr. He moves out of harm’s way and attacks from the side. Techniques over pure muscle, so to speak of. And people who *have* muscle don’t bother overmuch with techniques or keeping out of harm’s way. Scyrr does his best to do so, therefore, he must needs be a slender man – with fuzz on his chins, hardly more than a boy – who would never cut an imposing figure even if his swordskill is on par with those more experienced than himself. Of course, the technique-oriented style might be because he is yet young, who have learned fighting only from fencing masters and mock duels instead of engaging in real battles where his life is always on the line. He could have an aversion to actually getting his hand dirty, so to speak. But even so, the ease with which Erbrand pummeled Scyrr when they were both on the ground (and therefore had equal advantages, even considering Scyrr’s broken leg) suggests that Scyrr doesn’t have muscle enough to acquit himself well when it comes to a physical brawl.

Personality: He is not someone who endears himself to many. But at the same time, he is one who speaks his mind openly about all matters, so he is not an obnoxious snob who bows and scrapes in front of his betters and takes out all his frustrations on his lessers. An honest man, even if that honesty is not to the liking of many. If he is seen as arrogant and self-centered, perhaps it has a measure of truth, but it comes from the brashness of youth rather than a fundamental flaw in his personality. He is conscious of the social hierarchy, perhaps unwisely overmuch, so that he would not be patient with having his authority challenged by tradesmen and craftsmen who is of lower rank than he. This is probably what sparked the brawl between he and Erbrand. Not to mention that he has a tendency to speak whatever he wants to. Being young, he also has the tendency to see the world in black-and-white: for instance, enemy-and-friend, or good-and-bad. Perhaps age and experience might teach him otherwise, and beat patience and understanding into the proud flash in his eyes, but for now he is nothing but a brash young soldier who doesn’t know where to draw the line. He feels a certain kinship with those that he has ridden alongside for many a month, however, and would listen to their counsel… albeit grudgingly. And in the same way he considers himself above the common tradesmen and craftsmen as a soldier of Lord Athenar, he genuinely respects those with authority even if their morality or intelligence is suspect. He follows the law, and does his duty faithfully. He has a good heart - if badly misguided, arrogant, and brash – but still that of a true Rider of the Mark.

As an aside, Scyrr is going to be my character, so I wanted to interpret him in such a way that was enjoyable to play for me. I hope this interpretation of his personality is not too jarring or discontinuous, because, well, I could always make a new character if this doesn’t suit you. I am from an East Asian country, where the last thing that anyone would even dream of doing is to say what they are thinking, and I am not at all sure whether I could roleplay a character who spoke what he wanted to for sheer childishness. Now if it was a matter of rank and social hierarchy (which my culture is intimately familiar with, considering that you’re supposed to bow every time you come across some bloke in your class who’s two days older than you just because he’s two days older than you), then I could understand exactly what kind of problem he had with Erbrand and why he acted the way he did. I hope this isn’t too much of a problem with you.

History: Scyrr was born the second son to Lieutenant Roryn, a Rider of the Mark. (Well, I’m thinking a middling rank. With perhaps fifty men under his command? I don’t know what military title to apply, since ‘captain’ seemed too high for someone who just held a position of an officer who led a patrol squad.) Roryn was one of the poor unlucky sods who were executed by Wormtongue for insubordination when he refused to carry out a redoubtable order that might have ended in a lot of his own men getting killed. He had a public trial, but a farce of a one with Theoden repeating what Wormtongue whispered in his ear, and was summarily hanged. There were a lot of men who were chagrined at this – for he was a good man, and a faithful one – and the widow and her two sons and a daughter received financial and emotional support from those who were his friends. Enough for Scyrr to have a decent education and a good fencing instructor, apparently, (or he wouldn’t have been able to dodge Erbrand’s blows with such ease). When Scyrr came of age, he followed in his father’s footsteps and pledged himself to a lord’s service in his own right. In Lord Athanar’s service, in fact, as Athanar knew of his father and kindly accepted the young and yet unproven youngster into his guard.

However, Scyrr has strong ambivalent feelings toward his father – who got himself killed for insubordination, no matter for what just cause, and left his young wife a widow pregnant with a third child and his two sons fatherless – which has left him somewhat obsessed about duty and social hierarchy and following orders without question.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-14-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #2470
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

*looks at everyone with puppydog eyes, hoping her profile of Scyrr wouldn't be rejected*
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 PM   #2471
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Eorl, sounds good! Just maybe for a few remarks (well, I assume that's not what you'd have expected anyway, but I hope it will be for good ).

Firstly, I wholeheartedly agree with your interpretation of the social status view-thing, and that resonates basically with the idea I had about Scyrr myself. And if you have such cultural background, it might be even better for sort of "getting into" Scyrr.

Maybe, however, the thing about speaking his mind openly - if I understood you right, you don't feel like you could write for such a character, but well, there are several ways to handle it while keeping it still consistent with the previous. The thing is that this was sort of one of Scyrr's trademarks, if not "THE" trademark. The occassion where it originally started from was that first brawl when the soldiers have arrived, and Áforglaed was hurt. What Scyrr saw was that the first to attack was the other guy, and therefore, by Scyrr's logic, he should have been punished. The fact that Áforglaed insulted him before was not taken into account. I sort of see the parallel to this in Scyrr's brawl with Erbrand. This could be explained by that in both cases the attackers were of lower class, so they effectively didn't have the right to attack like that, so there we'd be back with the social class explanation thing. (Or maybe Scyrr just puts more weight to actions than to words? But whatever, just a thought.) So back to speaking his mind openly, back then Scyrr considered it unjust that something like that had happened and the person wasn't punished, and so he did speak his mind aloud. That was sort of the basic core. It's not supposed to be any childishness, but the fact that whenever Scyrr considers something should be said (even though others might disagree) - and nobody seems to say it - he says it. So if it was taken this way, maybe you could still handle this trait in him?

(Take this as a dialogical contribution... maybe you will think of a way to incorporate this, or handle this in a bit different way and put it into the personality of Scyrr when writing for him.)

Then, just one physical thing... I have (and I think others did too) imagined Scyrr a bit older - perhaps around 25 or something like that. I certainly didn't think he would be a young unexperienced man, maybe sort of "mid-experienced" at least, but not any newbie when it comes to social contact. More like the opposite - if he has his own views on social contact, rather settled, and that's why it's hard for him to get used to any new or different ways.

Otherwise, basically agreed with all you have said. By the way, not sure if I understood right that you don't think Scyrr is too much muscular, if you wanted him to be, then I think the story about Erbrand is not necessarily denying that - because Erbrand was, actually, supposed to be a very strong man, so even if Scyrr was relatively strong, Erbrand just might have been even stronger. But if you want to have him like that, of course that's up to you - just saying that what is said does not dismiss the option.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 AM   #2472
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Scyrr would probably come after Kara now. Poor Kara.

But really, I'm sorry, this post is the best imitation of his personality that I could come up with.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-13-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #2473
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Nay, I think it was nice. I think it's good you have come here.

By the way, maybe you could edit away the italics in your post, though, as it's generally rather confusing (maybe also harder to read, as you have noticed we normally write everything in normal letters and use italics usually only for characters' inner thoughts at some point or such...). But that's just a technical thing...
Old 04-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #2474
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Kara! Oh! that is SO not fair. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. I think that even though Erbrand was completely mistaken about Thornden being interested with Kara, I think he will still protect her like a sister. Therefore...if Scyrr does anything to her, he'd better watch out. This'll be fun.

-- Foley
Old 04-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #2475
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I posted, and I hope it makes sense.

If Wulfric would like to be included, feel free to have him speak up...Coen doesn't really know how to handle the boys. Their boys, so he should be able to just order them around, but they're his lord's sons...so he tends to just leave them out of things. Not sure what you had in mind for him, if anything, Lommy

Folwren - Let me know if you object to Coen taking the lead there. Also feel free to have Thornden object to his plan.

Nog - Is Athanar a sportsman? Would he have brought dogs with him?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #2476
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate
By the way, maybe you could edit away the italics in your post.
Done. Though italics are pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
Kara! Oh! that is SO not fair. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to it. I think that even though Erbrand was completely mistaken about Thornden being interested with Kara, I think he will still protect her like a sister.
Yep, I'm looking forward to it, too! But first Scyrr has to get well, has to find out that Erbrand had a sweetheart, then find out how to catch her off-guard and alone in the woods. Hmm, I don't think Scyrr would be fool enough to come after her where other people are there to interfere. Scyrr wouldn't want to add to the cares of his lord by starting more fights where other people can *see*. Especially since I'm pretty sure Lord Athanar just bought Scyrr's eternal loyalty with Nogrod's last post! Though Thornen could always come upon the scene on chance.

And a Question: Am I the person who should write the healer scene? Do I just make up a healer NPC? Now that the question has come up, what about the other NPCs? For instance, I noticed that the Athanar's soldiers (which included Scyrr) were listed in the NPC section in the beginning of this thread, but they were consistently played by Legate alone.

It has been a long time since I've roleplayed in Barrowdowns, it seems that even the basic mechanisms of roleplaying and furthering the storyline eludes me.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-14-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:02 PM   #2477
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

SCYRR'S INJURIES:

------------------------------

[1] Crushed larynx (More specifically, Bilateral injury to the recurrent laryngeal nerve. Symptoms include respirational difficulty and may cause permanent hoarseness. By the way, Lord Athanar made a surprisingly good call, telling Scyrr to concentrate on breathing and hushing him. Bilateral injury rips open more and more every time the patient attempts to speak.)

[2] Severe tear of muscle fibers and related tissues in the tendons of the semimembranosus, also known as a pulled hamstring. (Full recovery takes up to 4-6 weeks)

[3] Ruptured Spleen (Splenic rupture permits large amounts of blood to leak into the abdominal cavity which is severely painful and life-threatening. Shock and, ultimately, death can result. Someone with a ruptured spleen typically require an urgent medical aid, although one could simply monitor Scyrr to make sure the bleeding stops by itself and the spleen heals itself.)

[4] A number of bruises, and rib fracture (Broken ribs are often indicated by the following symptoms: Pain when breathing or with movement, a grating sound with breathing or movement. The rib fractured in Scyrr's case in the 7th rib, thankfully a crack instead of a clean break. Time will heal it... hopefully.)

[5] Obviously, Hypovolemic Shock (This is the most common type of shock and based on insufficient circulating volume. Its primary cause is loss of fluid from the circulation. Causes may include internal bleeding, in Scyrr's case a ruptured spleen. The symptoms include intense thirst, and quickened breathing in order to compensate for the loss of blood, but the latter is probably countered by difficulty of breathing from Scyrr's rib injuries and crushed larynx. Might result in oxygen deprivation - Scyrr *has* to breathe, no matter how difficult or painful it is.)

------------------------------

Leastways, that's my assessment of Scyrr's injuries from the initial posting of Scyrr's brawl with Erbrand, taking Erbrand's strength into account. The initial rush of adrenaline may have prevented Scyrr from feeling the intense pain, but Eru help him when the adrenaline wears off...

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-14-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #2478
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Quote:
Done. Though italics are pretty.
I agree, but they get messy when reading after a while Writing the "normal" way is easier to read (and gives you the chance to use italics for more expressive parts of your posts), you'll get used to it after a while around here

Quote:
And a Question: Am I the person who should write the healer scene? Do I just make up a healer NPC? Now that the question has come up, what about the other NPCs? For instance, I noticed that the Athanar's soldiers (which included Scyrr) were listed in the NPC section in the beginning of this thread, but they were consistently played by Legate alone.
Well that's more because my character was the most often among common soldiers and I had to make him interact with some, and nobody else's character usually was just among common soldiers.

Anyway, as for your question, I am not sure, maybe somebody else who's been around for longer than me will answer you - as I don't know myself who would be in the position of a healer in Scarburg. But if it is not any of the major characters, or if people do not want to post for anybody like that, I think it will be up to you. But I suggest first waiting if anybody who has better information replies here.

edit: Do you see? Was this my 5000th post? I-am-scared!!! And I haven't even noticed...

Last edited by Legate of Amon Lanc; 04-14-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:40 AM   #2479
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I am sure that there haven't been any healer characters in Meadhall RPG. Leastways, I don't remember reading about one.
In case someone wants to roleplay the healer, I detailed Scyrr's injuries in the above post.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #2480
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I picked up a copy of "The Prince" of Machiavelli to see if there's any way this Scarburg situation could be resolved peacefully. This is what Machiavelli says:

Quote:
Chapter 5. The Way to Govern Cities or Dominions That, Previous to Being Occupied, Lived Under Their Own Laws

When those states which have been acquired are accustomed to live at liberty under their own laws, there are three ways of holding them. The first is to despoil them; the second is to go and live there in person; the third is to allow them to live under their own laws, taking tribute of them, and creating within the country a government composed of a few who will keep it friendly to you. Because this government, being created by the prince, knows that it cannot exist without his friendship and protection, and will do all it can to keep them. What is more, a city used to liberty can be more easily held by means of its citizens than in any other way, if you wish to preserve it. (...) And whoever becomes the ruler of a free city and does not destroy it, can expect to be destroyed by it, for it can always find a motive for rebellion in the name of liberty and of its ancient usages, which are forgotten neither by lapse of time nor by benefits received; and whatever one does or provides, so long as the inhabitants are not separated or dispersed, they do not forget that name and those usages, but appeal to them at once in every emergency, as did Pisa after so many years held in servitude by the Florentines. (...) But in republics there is greater life, greater hatred, and more desire for vengeance; they do not and cannot cast aside the memory of their ancient liberty, so that the surest way is either to lay them waste or reside in them.
Current Situation: Scarburg, Free Republic, is Occupied by Lord Athanar, and there is an undercurrent of local dissent that shows itself in petty brawls and raised voices.

The rule of the former Eorl was more of a 'Free Republic' than the rule of the current Eorl. I think quite a few posters mentioned that the discipline and order around here were less than that of the Capital. For instance, locals murmured over Athanar's anger at Lothar's boistrousness, saying that the former Eorl would laughed and let it slide. The locals resent the introduction of new authority and the change that it heralds in its wake, and have showed their resentment in ways that could not be passed over. So, how to hold Scarburg? The second means suggested by Machiavelli is already in effect: the Eorl Athanar is living in Scarburg. The third means of creating a friendly government is also in effect: Thornen, the local official and magistrate, has been set up as the second-in-command. This apparently isn't enough. There's only one other way: despoil. Now it's time for Lord Athanar to show some cruelty, perhaps.

Quote:
17. Of Cruely of Clemency, and Whether It Is Better to Be Loved or Feared

I say that every prince must desire to be considered merciful and not cruel. He must, however, take care not to misuse this mercifulness. Cesare Borgia was considered cruel, but his cruelty had brought order to the Romagna, united it, and reduced it to peace and fealty. If this is considered well, it will be seen that he was really much more merciful than the Florentine people, who, to avoid the name of curelty, allowed Pistoia to be destroyed. A prince, therefore, must not mind incurring the charge of cruelty for the purpose of keeping his subjects united and faithful; for, with a very few examples, he will be more merciful than those who, from excess of tenderness, allow disorders to arise, from whence spring bloodshed and rapine; for these as a rule injure the whole community, while the executions carried out by the prince injure only individuals. And of all princes, it is impossible for a new prince to escape the reputation of cruelty, new states being always full of dangers. Wherefore Virgil through the mouth of Dido says: "Res dura, et regni novitas me talia cogunt / Moliri, et late fines custode tueri." Nevertheless, he must be cautious in believing and acting, and must not be afraid of his own shadow, and must proceed in a temperate manner with prudence and humanity, so that too much confidence does not render him incautious, and too much diffidence does not render him intolerant.
From this arises the Question: Is it better to be loved more than feared, or feared more than loved?

Quote:
The reply is, that one ought to be both feared and loved, but as it is difficult for the two to go together, it is much safer to be feared than loved, if one of the two has to be wanted. For it may be said of men in general that they are ungrateful, voluble, dissemblers, anxious to avoid danger, and covetous of gain; as long as you benefit them, they are entirely yours; they offer you their blood, their goods, their life, and their children, as I have before said, when the necessity is remote; but when it approaches, they revolt. And the prince who has relied solely on their words, without making other preparations, is ruined; for the friendship which is gained by purchase and not through nobility of spirit is bought but not secured, and at a pinch is not to be expended in your service. And men have less scruple in offending one who maketh himself loved than one who makes himself feared; for love is held by a chain of obligation which, men being selfish, is broken whenever it serves their purpose, but fear is maintained by a dread of punishment which never fails.
But everyone in a Tolkienesque Universe is so *nice*, I wonder if this cynical view could be applied to Rohan or the Riders of the Mark. Hm... Ah, well. Lord Athanar will decide, I suppose.

Last edited by Eorl of Rohan; 04-14-2010 at 04:48 AM.