The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-07-2003, 10:27 AM   #1
Hans Markus Rod
Pile O'Bones

Hans Markus Rod has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Eriador/Arnor

On the map of Middle-Earth Eriador is marked as almost all the lands west of the Misty mountains, but can one say that Eriador is or have been a realm? is the lost realm of Arnor a part of Eriador? I have read the LOTR, the Silmarillion an the Unfinished Tales, an I have not yet read anything about "The High King of Eriador" or something like that. I have always imagined Eriador as the name of the continent simmilar to north-western Europe and Arnor as a realm inside it. Am i right or just a bit confused?
Old 05-07-2003, 10:36 AM   #2
steve
Wight

steve has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to steve
Sting

I may be mistaken Hans Markus Rod, but I belive that Eriador is a titles area, like for example, the middle east
Arnor was a kingdom ins Eriador, i hope that helps ( and is right) oh by the way
Welcome top the downs and enjoy your death
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Arvedui
Haunting Spirit

Arvedui has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Welcome Hans! I have to say I am enjoying the great book discussions on Barrow Downs!
Eriador, like Beleriand, is a general geographic section of Middle Earth, wheras Arnor was the Northern Dúnedain kingdom which was located in Eriador.
When Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the south in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
Arvedui is offline   Reply With Quote