The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2022, 11:07 AM   #12241
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Here you go ...

1. At last! A rustic thinks a queen among elves as fair as one of these.
2. A third of this is what we need – due to answer number five? Or at Bombadil’s - for cut knees, perhaps?
3. Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
4. Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.
5. Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?
6. It’s both long and longed for – by a dwarf. Go fourth.
Old 11-23-2022, 10:01 PM   #12242
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
#1 and #6 are giving me Galadriel vibes. #1 sounds like Sam's speech to Faramir (but which of the similes?), and #6 sounds like the lock she gives to Gimli (but again, by what synonym? Lock? Hair? Strand? Tress?).
Old 11-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #12243
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

1. At last! A rustic thinks a queen among elves as fair as one of these.
2. A third of this is what we need – due to answer number five? Or at Bombadil’s - for cut knees, perhaps?
4. Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.
5. Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?
NERWEN'S HAIR: It’s both long and longed for – by a dwarf. Go fourth.

Any will do fine for 6.

For 1, the answer is indeed in one of the similes.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:06 PM   #12244
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Hints?

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:21 PM   #12245
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Hints?
OK!

Number 3 has a very similar answer to Number 5.

and

Galadriel was very close to solving clue 1, (upthread).
Old 01-12-2023, 03:09 AM   #12246
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
For #1, we're looking at this quote:

Quote:
Beautiful she is, sir! Lovely! Sometimes like a great tree in flower, sometimes like a white daffadowndilly, small and slender like. Hard as diamonds, soft as moonlight. Warm as sunlight, cold as frost in the stars. Proud and far-off as a snow-mountain, and as merry as any lass I ever saw with daisies in her hair in springtime. But that's a lot o' nonsense, and all wide of my mark.
Since the clue is "fair as", I would guess either GREAT TREE or DAFFADOWNDILLY... um, DAFFODIL for the answer.

hS
Old 01-12-2023, 07:09 AM   #12247
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thumbs up

DAFFADOWNDILLY: At last! A rustic thinks a queen among elves as fair as one of these.

Hence the 'At last.'
Old 01-12-2023, 08:21 AM   #12248
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I solved a clue
I solved a clue for you
Oh what a thing to do!
And is the code YELLOW?

hS
Old 01-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #12249
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

DAFFADOWNDILLY: At last! A rustic thinks a queen among elves as fair as one of these.
????E???? A third of this is what we need – due to answer number five? Or at Bombadil’s - for cut knees, perhaps?
L?????? Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
????L????Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.
????O???? Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?

Indeedydo.
Old 01-13-2023, 03:42 AM   #12250
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Okay, so: 3 and 5 are very similar. I think 3 might be another 'Someone's Something'. That means 5 is either the same person or the same thing. Additionally, 2 references 'answer number 5', which likely means the, uh, actual answer to question 5. So solving any of these three will help with the other two.

The letters we will need are 3rd - 1st - 2nd - probably 3rd.

If the Bombadil reference is direct, then things called yellow at Tom and Goldberry's are:

- Her hair
- His boots
- Cream
- The sunrise

CREAM seems to fit best, though I don't think the sort of cream Tom serves would go well on your knees!

hS
Old 01-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #12251
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CREAM: A third of this is what we need – due to answer number five? Or at Bombadil’s - for cut knees, perhaps?
L?????? Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
????L????Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.
????O???? Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?

Yes. Bombabil particularly refers to yellow cream, amongst other foodstuffs.

You are right about the positions of the 'red' letters, too.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:52 AM   #12252
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am gonna throw out LOCKS and ELANOR for the first two of the remaining clues. Locks, because it sounds like it should be hair. And Elanor because the letter fits.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:54 AM   #12253
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am gonna throw out LOCKS and ELANOR for the first two of the remaining clues. Locks, because it sounds like it should be hair. And Elanor because the letter fits.
It's LOCKS OF someone, but which blondie do we see being a pretty much full time housekeeper?

(Also, locks have keys, and so do housekeepers).
Old 01-24-2023, 07:31 AM   #12254
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

CREAM: A third of this is what we need – due to answer number five? Or at Bombadil’s - for cut knees, perhaps?
L: Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
ELANOR: Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.

Oh, sorry! You were guessing ELANOR for the 4th clue.

Quiet rightly. Because you would need an understudy if there were NO LEAR in the building.

Number 3 is LOCKS OF someone, but please say who, (see my post upthread).
Old 01-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #12255
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pervinca Took View Post
It's LOCKS OF someone, but which blondie do we see being a pretty much full time housekeeper?
LOCKS OF GOLDBERRY? I think I remember enumerating her as something yellow when I was figuring out cream.

On no more basis that this and 5 are "very similar", I'm going to guess BOOTS OF BOMBADIL for 5.

hS
Old 01-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #12256
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LOCKS OF GOLDBERRY: Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
ELANOR: Wait a second. This is why you might need an understudy in a Shakespearean tragedy. Confused, and flowery.

Sorry; it's 3 and 6 that are very similar, (as you can see).

Tom's boots are wrong, I'm afraid.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:16 AM   #12257
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

For the remaining clue:

What's another reason you might need cream, besides cut knees or a dessert?

Think of it, and put it into Sindarin.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:01 AM   #12258
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
For the remaining clue:

What's another reason you might need cream, besides cut knees or a dessert?

Think of it, and put it into Sindarin.
But Pervinca, there are no Sindarin words for "sunburn" or "scones".

... which actually isn't true, there's an old proto-Sindarin word torn meaning "sunburnt". But I don't think that's going to fly.

Is it just ANOR, the Sun? I'm sure someone calls it yellow sometime.

... ah, and a horse with highlights is a roan. Not a word I knew. Is "take nought" just straight-up telling us the answer is "O"?

hS
Old 01-30-2023, 11:08 AM   #12259
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Ah. Yellow Face. *facepalm*

"Roan" has been hammered into my head by bio classes as an example of genetic codominance, but I have not thought to (accurately) describe it as highlights. Nicely put.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:21 AM   #12260
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

LOCKS OF GOLDBERRY: Streaming things for which this housekeeper holds the key? That’s a first!
ANOR: Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?

Yes to all the above, including nought to indicate the letter O, and third for its position.

The sun *is* yellow, isn't it, more or less?

And one talks of sun cream, the preventative ointment.

Not sunburn cream - that would be calamine lotion!

Over to Huey!
Old 01-30-2023, 11:25 AM   #12261
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

ANOR: Horse with highlights is confused in shining Sindarin. Take nought from the third?

Yes to all the above, including nought to indicate the letter O, and third for its position.

And one talks of sun cream, the preventative ointment.

Not sunburn cream - that would be calamine lotion!

Over to Huey!

(P.S. ELANOR was from NO LEAR, in case you missed that bit upthread).
Old 02-01-2023, 02:38 AM   #12262
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
[Facepalm] It took me until you posted this - not even me posting the answer! - to remember that "the yellow eye, it burns us" is literally the second-most-quoted LotR line in this house. (First place goes to the movies' "I don't think he's heard of second breakfast, Pip", because the kids have picked up on that one.)

I will try and come up with something today.

hS
Old 02-03-2023, 09:44 AM   #12263
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Okay! This is not a cryptic puzzle (other than in the sense that it might be confusing). The numbers are just which letter to use; as you can see, I really wanted them to all be the same, but it didn't work out.

1. - Where the last of his line on a hoard laid a curse, (6)
2. - And the same was a hostage and traitor or worse; (6)
3. - Where the eldest awoke and saw mist on his breath, (7)
4. - And where greed-addled minds plotted elder king's death; (6)
5. - Whence came those who bore up the king on his fall, (7)
6. - And the name of the pit in the language of all. (6)

hS
Old 02-04-2023, 05:41 AM   #12264
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

1. Sarn Athrad?

Old 02-04-2023, 06:14 AM   #12265
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I'll also go ahead and throw Maeglin for 2, because 'traitor'.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:15 AM   #12266
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Or maybe Mim, if the clues 1 and 2 are a pair.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:37 PM   #12267
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
So I also read the first clue as likely relating to Mim. What other cursed hoards are there? There is the Doriath loot, but I don't think there's the last of a line involved. Smaug was the last great dragon, but I don't think his hoard was specifically cursed, no one laid a curse on it. I thought that Mim was the only one who fit the bill.

And therefore where would be in NARGOTHROND, while the second would be at AMON RUDH.

If 4 is a reference to Thingol's death by greedy / insulted Dwarves, then in DORIATH.

5 sounds like a reference to 4, but this really doesn't sound like Thingol. What it does sound like is the Dwarves of BELEGOST bearing away their fallen kind Azaghal during the Nirnaeth.

There is very much a Dwarven flavour to this, I think. I thought 3 would be DURIN, but I can't find mention of mist on his breath in Gimli's Durin song, and besides it doesn't have enough letters.

Then, when I first read "pit" my mind went to Tol-in-Gaurhoth. However, this is a Dwarven pit, in the Common speech - and therefore DWARROWDELF?
Old 02-06-2023, 03:09 AM   #12268
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I am not the puzzle maker, but I think only the first two answers you gave are right, because the password won't make sense otherwise (unless Huey chose a nonsense password.)

Old 02-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #12269
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
1. Sarn Athrad?
Quote:
I'll also go ahead and throw Maeglin for 2, because 'traitor'.
Are not right, but,

Quote:
has the correct traitor (but is not the answer).

Quote:
So I also read the first clue as likely relating to Mim. What other cursed hoards are there? There is the Doriath loot, but I don't think there's the last of a line involved. Smaug was the last great dragon, but I don't think his hoard was specifically cursed, no one laid a curse on it. I thought that Mim was the only one who fit the bill.
As far as I know, he is.

Quote:
And therefore where would be in NARGOTHROND, while the second would be at AMON RUDH.
These are the right locations, but not the right names.

Quote:
If 4 is a reference to Thingol's death by greedy / insulted Dwarves, then in DORIATH.
That's the reference, but not where his death was plotted.

Quote:
5 sounds like a reference to 4, but this really doesn't sound like Thingol. What it does sound like is the Dwarves of BELEGOST bearing away their fallen kind Azaghal during the Nirnaeth.
Correct location (well done!), but again the wrong name.

Quote:
There is very much a Dwarven flavour to this, I think. I thought 3 would be DURIN, but I can't find mention of mist on his breath in Gimli's Durin song, and besides it doesn't have enough letters.
Durin is the eldest here, but is not the answer.

Quote:
Then, when I first read "pit" my mind went to Tol-in-Gaurhoth. However, this is a Dwarven pit, in the Common speech - and therefore DWARROWDELF?
Once again the right location - but not the right name. Who said Common speech? (Or in other words: all what?)

Quote:
I am not the puzzle maker, but I think only the first two answers you gave are right, because the password won't make sense otherwise (unless Huey chose a nonsense password.)
As if I would! (I totally would, by accident if nothing else.) But not on this occasion.

Because I'm being picky about precise names, I'll sum up the above hints:

1 - name for Nargothrond
2 - name for Amon Rudh
3 - something about Durin
4 - something about plotting Thingol's death
5 - name for Belegost
6 - name for Moria

hS
Old 02-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #12270
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

2. Bar-En-Danwedh/Sharbhund?

Old 02-06-2023, 09:49 AM   #12271
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Nulukkhizdîn for 1, and Khazad for password?

Old 02-06-2023, 09:55 AM   #12272
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

5 and 6 are Gabilgathol and Khazad-Dum.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:01 AM   #12273
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Quote:
2. Bar-En-Danwedh/Sharbhund?
Quote:
Nulukkhizdîn for 1, and Khazad for password?
Quote:
5 and 6 are Gabilgathol and Khazad-Dum.
Oh you are on fire today. (Not actually, despite the name.)

NULUKKHIZDIN - Where the last of his line on a hoard laid a curse, (6)
SHARBHUND - And the same was a hostage and traitor or worse; (6)
3. ??????A- Where the eldest awoke and saw mist on his breath, (7)
4. ?????Z - And where greed-addled minds plotted elder king's death; (6)
GABILGATHOL - Whence came those who bore up the king on his fall, (7)
KHAZAD-DUM - And the name of the pit in the language of all. (6)

hS
Old 02-06-2023, 11:06 AM   #12274
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Titles motivate me.

As does anything related to...well, us.

Last edited by Urwen; 02-06-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 11:16 AM   #12275
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

3. Gundabad?

Old 02-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #12276
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

And that leaves No...I mean, Tumunzahar, as the last one.

Old 02-07-2023, 04:50 AM   #12277
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

hS[/QUOTE]

Quote:
3. Gundabad?
Quote:
And that leaves No...I mean, Tumunzahar, as the last one.
NULUKKHIZDIN - Where the last of his line on a hoard laid a curse, (6)
SHARBHUND - And the same was a hostage and traitor or worse; (6)
GUNDABAD- Where the eldest awoke and saw mist on his breath, (7)
TUMUNZAHAR - And where greed-addled minds plotted elder king's death; (6)
GABILGATHOL - Whence came those who bore up the king on his fall, (7)
KHAZAD-DUM - And the name of the pit in the language of all. (6)

This is a closed set - as far as I can tell, these are the only six dwarven residences named in Khuzdul. I'm slightly surprised Tolkien never wrote down a name for Erebor, but apparently he didn't.

For the first time in my memory, that's a clean sweep for one person - congrats Urwen for all six clues and the password. The floor is yours.

hS
Old 02-07-2023, 06:29 AM   #12278
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Actually, Galadriel did the heavy lifting, but thank you!

This is a mirror password.

1. It was born where the fighter on the plain was healed. (1)
2. Where the sorrowful one was undone. (2)
3. The joyous one's name came from here. (3)
4. A line of defense was here. (4)
5. Green, and one of the six. (3)
6. The nine first parted ways on its shores. (2)
7. It claimed the father of the forementioned three.(1)

You'll be familiar with clue 1, Huinesoron. And 2, and 3, and there is that pesky 7 too. And I know the answers to every one of them.

Last edited by Urwen; 02-07-2023 at 07:11 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:56 PM   #12279
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

What happened to Pervinca? Is she sick, or just busy?

Old 02-08-2023, 01:57 PM   #12280
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
What happened to Pervinca? Is she sick, or just busy?
Hopefully not sick!

1. NAROG - born at Eithel Ivrin

3. NEN LALAITH?

7. SEA?